New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: MERC XVIII: Affordable Misdeeds and Friendly Canines

Merc Office

The spider bows slightly in acknowledgement, then opens the clipboard, writes something down, and tears the page off and hands it over.

The page reads:

"We are planning a formal event and looking to hire discreet professional security. Must be able to blend in to formal environment.
    Uniforms and food will be provided in addition to suitable compensation.

P.S. Could I speak to Sam please as well?"
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2019-04-23 at 10:07 AM.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

2. - Top - End - #842
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [MERC Office]

"So you don't know who he is or what he looks like," Dipsnig says. "Do you know where he's been recently, at least?"
    [MERC Office]

"He must be in one of the bigger citys. Inside, Skyside or Riverside." Fade replies. "Would he settle at one of the orgs, we would have known. I don't think he stopped his 'researches' "
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

3. - Top - End - #843

[Dance Lesson]

"Why?" Dena presses. "Do you need to check my pulse?" She smiles as she playfully poke Sakura's offered hand. "I assure you that I'm fine. Just what brought this on though?"

4. - Top - End - #844

NinjaGuy

Merc Office

Electra takes the note gently, reads it quickly and nods.

"Allow me to page Sam for you," Electra says, and her eyes glow blue for a moment, before her voice comes over the intercom. "Sam, to the front desk, please. Sam, to the front desk."

Then she smiles again.

"I believe we can come to an agreement on the security, though I'll need some more details in order to ensure we have the right amount of operatives available for your needs. Let's start with the size of the event; about how many attendees are you expecting? Are any of them VIPs that need an extra detail on duty?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ettin in the Playground

Merc Office

The spider scribbles some more onto the notepad and hands it back over:

Attendance looking to be 100+. No known VIP's, everyone should be in costume. Party will be outdoors but have multiple areas separated by hedges; will need security both for public areas and to prevent public access to areas for workers, as well as for food preparation areas.

Again, discretion is very important. Some security should be able to mingle with the crowd to spot problems.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ogre in the Playground

Merc Office

Luckily, Sam is on shift at the moment. He arrives swiftly, dressed in his usual pmts and open jacket, clearly a little flustered. He’s never been called on the PA before. Does someone have a good emergency? Is he in trouble?
    ”Sam Bacon reporting, Ma’am.” the oversized spider-pig-ogre says stiffly, saluting and straightening his flat cap.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

7. - Top - End - #847

NinjaGuy

Merc Office

Electra nods, the amused smile fading slightly to a more professional one.

"We should be able to provide enough operatives to cover that. We can provide discrete operatives as well, in fact, that's one of my areas of expertise, as it so happens. I do need to ask if you'd prefer we not open this contract up to our licensees, though." She looks up at Sam and nods, gesturing for him to come over and indicates the spider.

"At ease, Sam. Our client here asked to speak with you. I believe your services may be required on this job as well," she adds with a nod.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

8. - Top - End - #848
    Ettin in the Playground

The spider writes 2 more notes.

To Electra:
    Licensees are acceptable. Half payment up front, half after.
    the spider also retrieves a set of bills with some sort of strange arcane marks on them and hands them over.

The note to Sam:
    We need someone who can oversee a large amount of food being prepared while ensuring no unauthorized access to the kitchen area or risk of tampering. Would you be interested?

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ogre in the Playground

MERC Office

Oh. They want a food guard.
    ”Yeah I can probably do that. Just patrol the kitchen? Yeah. Got a uniform? Gets hot in there.” he asks, business-like. He had been hoping if he actually got a merc contract it would be for cooking. Still, makes sense why Electra would call him for this.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ettin in the Playground

Merc Office

The spider scribbles back:
    We need someone who can both take charge of the food preparation for a large group and ensure security at the same time.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Checkup]

The spirit does not take the feather, instead as he reaches into the circle its plucked from his hand by a sudden indoor breeze which takes it in the direction of the owl on the branch. As it glides through the air a semi-transparent bird manifests out of it and with a flap of its ghostly wings it takes a seat next to the owl.

With two birds now staring down at them, the owl nods its head and Astrana returns the gesture. "It's time, think of the memory."

If they do, their surroundings suddenly blurs and change as they find themselves back in the same spot they were back when they decided not to date, the feelings as strong as they were then even if the memory itself is as faded as their surroundings. Instead of the position they remember, they are standing staring one another deeply into the others eyes.
    The owl and the tree is still there however, its big eyes now glowing white as they can feel as if their feelings are coinciding and for a moment their minds are interconnected, being able to feel what the other feel, hear what the other think. A image of two trees whose roots touch and wrap themselves around another flash before their eyes as they find themselves existing in both their own and the others body at the same time somehow. Both staring at the other and staring at themselves from the others perspective.

But its not a mirror image of themselves they see when they are looking through the others eyes, its the person the other see them as. All feelings and thoughts that comes into the others mind as they see one another flaring up in their mind.

Then the moment is over as sudden as it began and they both find themselves back in Astrana's office, sitting near the circle with the tiefling kneeling before them. "Are you feeling alright? You should have had a flash of the memory, followed by looking into one another's souls."
    [Checkup]

When Kirk looks at Fettina, there's a rush of feelings, some upfront and bold, others lingering in the background. Desire, regret, lust, protectiveness, love. As guarded as Kirk can be, there's no denying anything here. Kirk cares for Fettina deeply, in ways she knows and perhaps ways she hasn't fully understood before.

The drow continues to gaze into Fettina's eyes for the moment, even as it returns to mundane vision. Astrana's words don't seem to register right away. He lingers close; with the smallest shift they would touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Dance Lesson]

"Why?" Dena presses. "Do you need to check my pulse?" She smiles as she playfully poke Sakura's offered hand. "I assure you that I'm fine. Just what brought this on though?"
    [Dance Lesson]

"I'm not sure, I just think I can help..." Sakura suddenly closes her hand around Dena's finger and just like that it's done. The curse that had long affected Dena is lifted, destroyed so completely that no trace remains.

12. - Top - End - #852

NinjaGuy

Merc Office

Electra nods, making a note on her internal HUD.

"Very well, then." She takes the set of bills, noting any denominations and counts it quickly so as to have an idea of what to post on the contract for the reward, before setting them aside and making a note on her own pad, giving Sam and the spider a chance to converse.

"I will need a name, location, date and time for the party, so that we can get our operatives in place, and after that, I believe we can post this."

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ogre in the Playground

[MERC Office]

Sam stares at the spider.
    "Wait. Charge? Like...you want me to be head?!" Technically Sam already is MERC's head chef, but being head chef by default doesn't mean nearly as much as getting it by request.

14. - Top - End - #854

[Dance Lesson]

Whatever Sakura might have expected to happen, this likely wasn't it as Dena suddenly collapses on the floor with a scream, all the serpents that make up her hair hissing violently.
    Then a wisp of black smoke appears to be leaving her and takes the form of the upper body of a humanoid figure holding a glass.
    "So you finally decided to fill your **** with someone else did you, jewel? After everything I've done, you dog-eared **** decided to throw it all away from, and for what? A **** you can call your own? Some dog-eared spawn, perhaps?" The figure spits and then takes a sip from his glass. "I loved your ****, I really did, but with this seal broken I'm going to let every last of my men take turns with you until there is nothing left of it but a bloody pulp." The figure shakes his head and Dena takes the pause to look at the figure, forcing herself to spit out a few words despite still clearly being in great pain.
    "You're dead. I ssspat on your fat, disssgusting, corpssse!" Each word is a drawn out hateful hiss.

The figure does not seem to react what she's saying though, or anything else in the room. It appears to be some manner of recorded message.
    "Farewell, jewel. I really hoped you would have known better than to disobey me."
    And with those words, the smoke-figure disappears into thin air, leaving behind only a warm breeze and the smell of wine and sweat.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-04-26 at 08:21 AM.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ogre in the Playground

[Dance Lesson]

Sakura steps back, grabbing Laela's hand and pulling her to her side. "Dena..." And then the figure appears. Her eyes go wide with horror. She puts her hand on the side of Laela's head in some vain attempt to shield her from those horrible words.

And just like that it's over, but Sakura feels sick to her stomach. She loosens her grip on her daughter, and the girl runs to Dena's side. "Dena Dena, are you okay?"

16. - Top - End - #856

[Riverside Office]
    ((Wasn't sure whether this would go better in Riverside or here, so chose here.))

A black-haired shapechanger named Harley half-elf—sorry, I mean half-human—named Holly approaches MERC's Riverside office. This is actually the fourth time she's attempted this (the other two times both ended in failure: the first time, her scar-covering makeup was a smidge too thick and she didn't like the kind of woman it made her look like. Then, on her way there, she heard rumors that the Skyside office was blown up and, not wanting to work up a sweat (making it smear too much), she gave up. The third time, it rained)

She checks her appearance in her sword's reflection.
    Yup. Definitely elfy enough to get away with a plantlike name. Green clothing, a variety of rare flowers in her braided hair, somewhat short dress, way-too-tall boots, funny belt, face otherwise clear and with a 'natural' look, stereotypical elf look...
    She sheathes her sword again.

Okay.
    All ready.
    She takes a deep breath to ready herself, knocks once, and then heads into the office.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2019-04-25 at 11:13 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ettin in the Playground

Merc Office

The spider hands Electra a token with a glowing red spiral on it. Above the token reads "Press for Contact." The spider then bows at her slightly before writing on the pad

The note to Sam reads:

Yes, is that something you would be able to manage?

18. - Top - End - #858
    Ogre in the Playground

MERC Office

Sam nods enthusiastically.
    ”Yes. Yes! I mean, of course. Um. What do I wear? Oh, Steve won’t behave in the kitchen. I’ll have to leave him behind. Uh, thank you.” he stammers.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

[MERC Office - Dipsnig]

"This really isn't much to go on," Dipsnig points out. "Our best bet is to look for people experimenting with shadow magic or something similar. But by now he might have moved to some other research."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

20. - Top - End - #860

NinjaGuy

Merc Office

Electra raises an eyebrow, but nods at the spider.

"They'll be providing uniforms, Sam," She says distractedly, examining the token for a moment, before pressing it. This should be interesting, at least.

21. - Top - End - #861

[Dance Lesson]

Dena nods weakly to Laela as the girl runs up to her. "Yeah, don't worry, Laela. It's alright." As she manages to get in a sitting position, she does give Sakura a accusing glare behind her sunglasses however but leaves it at that for now considering Laela's presence.
    The gorgons hands are still trembling after the ordeal and she looks sick, like as if she was about to throw up. "Just-" She suddenly covers her mouth as she jerks forward, finding herself staring down at the floor. "-some magic from my past." Dena finishes as she takes a deep breath behind her hand, steadying herself.

22. - Top - End - #862

[MERC Office - Dipsnig]

"This really isn't much to go on," Dipsnig points out. "Our best bet is to look for people experimenting with shadow magic or something similar. But by now he might have moved to some other research."
    [MERC Office - Dipsnig]

"He sure has other projekts then my kind." Fade says. "From my experience, he created me several thousands years ago, as far as I could measure time. It is hard for me to say if things are just running faster in my world or not, but either way he is alive and in the nexus that is for sure."

23. - Top - End - #863
    Titan in the Playground

[MERC Office - Dipsnig]

"There's many scientists and engineers in the Nexus," Dipsnig says. "If we're going to find him, we need something to track him by."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ettin in the Playground

Merc Office

The spider chitters at Electra for a minute, but not fast enough. Nothing happens right away, until another spider - this time a brown wolf spider - climbs out of the red swirl, pen and paper in its claws.

It looks confused, chitters at the existing spider and is chittered back at, and then scurries out the door quickly.

Meanwhile the first spider writes another note to Sam and hands it over with some bills and another red swirl.

Will be in contact about menu options. Please prepare some suggestions suitable for outdoor dining.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Ogre in the Playground

MERC Office

Sam nods.
    "Okay, I'll make a list for when you come calling. " he tells the spider. He's clearly excited. If that's all he'll leave the spiders with Electra.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Halfling in the Playground

[Checkup]

When Fettina looks at Kirk, there's an honest quality to it, something Kirk will intrinsically know that the girl doesn't apply to a whole lot of people. Especially herself. It's not honest in that everything she thinks or feels about him is necessarily true... but that she feels it is. The neon girl knows, as if for a fact, that Kirk is good when it counts. She knows he's brave, and loyal, and kind. He always made her feel special because it felt like she drew these properties out of him... that she was one of the very few women who could. There was an undeniable darkness to him, of course, but Fettina had lived around that her whole life. Had depended on far worse men for company and love...

Getting close to a person like Kirk was a privilege. For Tina. Ever since the morning after they'd met, when he'd tracked her down, she knew Kirk was different. That was a time in her life when she'd felt mostly worthless... hell, half the time she still does. But not with Kirk. He validates her. Even if she wasn't good for anything or meant much to anyone... If he cared this much, if this well-hidden and beautiful soul loved her, then she was worth something.

All this and more, all the things she'd never be brave enough to say, Kirk will know in an instant. He'll see himself reflected on her, probably a little more heroic than he expected, probably a little too shiny. He will know she loves him, and whatever form that love has to take, it's never going to leave her. Maybe they'd just be friends... and she would survive that. She'd eat that soft and gnawing pain. To keep him around, this light in the sometimes dark and often confusing passageways of her life, Tina'd accept just about anything.

Fettina takes his hand, also a little ignorant of Astrana. Maybe the way they're staring at each other is answer enough. And to Kirk... Fettina's hand will feel like warm flesh. Skinny and fragile and delicate as always.

[Somewhere near MERC]

"Describe this creature," says Maiel, looking at the screens on the back wall of the room instead of at the demon. "And tell me about these mercenaries. Is she - is the creature with them?" He seems to be in no mood for new deals at the moment.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2019-04-28 at 09:56 AM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

27. - Top - End - #867

[Somewhere near MERC]

The screens are showing different parts of this "subway", which is much larger than the few areas he's been in so far. There is a lot of maintenance tunnels and the like that seems to have been carved out into the mountain. This place must have cost a fortune to build.

The horned man hesitates. "Why so curious about them all of sudden? Are you a 'hero', perhaps? Out to slay monsters such as it?" He smiles as if not believing his own suggestion. "Please, sir. I can tell you everything you wish to know if you would at least consider my offer."

[Checkup]

Astrana eyes the two, waving her hand as if to call their attention, but doesn't do much more than that for now. "...well, I now have what I needed, a imprint of your soul miss Fettina. I will be able to compare it and see what has been done to you better. Once that's accomplished, I will hopefully be able to undo it properly." If there still is no response, she will suddenly stomp on Kirk's toes, hard.

She had to make sure nothing had gone wrong and she rather target a superior rather than a customer.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-04-28 at 04:10 PM.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ogre in the Playground

[Dance Lesson]

"Mommy was right. You are sick." Laela worries. "Mommy can call a doctor." She suggests helpfully.

Sakura still looks shocked by what happened. What was that? What did she do? "If you need me to..." She figures the answer is no, though. She can tell, Dena is better.

[Checkup]

Astrana's words pass by Kirk for the moment. Sure it's probably relevant, but she can repeat them when he's good an- "Ah! What the-" Kirk steps away from Astrana and shoots her a furious glare. "What the hell was that?!"

29. - Top - End - #869

[MERC Office - Dipsnig]

"There's many scientists and engineers in the Nexus," Dipsnig says. "If we're going to find him, we need something to track him by."
    [MERC Office - Dipsnig]

Fade nods.

"As said i have nothing found." he says. "The only thing I can think of may be some kind of magic trace with me. Like those DNA tests just with magic."

30. - Top - End - #870

NinjaGuy

Merc Office

Electra raises an eyebrow, and sighs.

"At very least, I must have a date and time before I can post this contract, so our members and licensees can make sure they're available if they're interested in the contract. Can you at least provide that? If not, then I believe I may need to consult with one of my superiors before we can accept your retainer."