New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: MERC XVIII: Affordable Misdeeds and Friendly Canines

Kitty Quarters

Xun gets an incense burner out and places the bundle of sage on it. She hands the feather to Eswil. You'll need to sort of direct the smoke towards the runes. That said, she lights the herbs.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Kitty Quarters

Krayger isn’t ticklish, but he does kind of grin like an idiot. He wisely shuts up for Eswil.
    And now smoke burning time!
    ”Please don’t light me on fire.” he mumbles.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

[Returning from mission]

Dipsnig's ears twitch.

"That sounds like a fair enough exchange. We'll give them the information from the interview in return for whatever they get from the drugs. They might lead us to someone, and if we can find a way to disrupt the supply chain, it should eat into KABAL's profits. Or whatever other goal they're trying to accomplish by pushing those."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Kitty Quarters

Xun gets an incense burner out and places the bundle of sage on it. She hands the feather to Eswil. You'll need to sort of direct the smoke towards the runes. That said, she lights the herbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Kitty Quarters

Krayger isn’t ticklish, but he does kind of grin like an idiot. He wisely shuts up for Eswil.
    And now smoke burning time!
    ”Please don’t light me on fire.” he mumbles.
    "Pfft. If you get a burn I'll just kiss it better, deal?" Eswill smirks and delicately plucks the feather, twirling it and bring it down sharply. The smoke splits around her stroke, curling into wisps that rush to fill the void left in the feather's wake. And once it's all more evenly dispersed, she begins short, softer flicks that send the greyish haze towards Krayger's chest. It spills around his torso and across the runes, but also sends creeping fingers up past his nostrils as it rises, the heady scent of burning sage surrounding his head.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

[Returning from mission]

Electra nods, but glances at Kirk again, before looking back to Dipsnig.

"I only gave them a small sample. There's more than enough left to let us do our own analysis, too, if you'd like." She shifts slightly, as though she's uncomfortable.

"And...I hate to spring this on you like this, but the tab for this job is going to be fairly substantial, sir. I've expended some rather expensive consumables during the course of it. I was planning on waiving my fee as a favor to Dena, and I still will, but I need the expenses covered."

Electra is still a licensee at this point; if MERC won't cover her expenses, it's going to take her awhile to make enough to cover what she's just used, but it's clear the subject still bothers her. She didn't want to charge anything for this job, but circumstances being what they are, and considering the new enemies she's just made during the job, it would be foolish not to ask.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

[Returning from mission]

"I'll cover it." Kirk says, like it's no big deal and not a rare display of generosity. "Just tell me whatever it costs you, I'll send it tomorrow."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

[Returning from mission]

Dipsnig's about to answer Electra on the rather uncomfortable topic of spending a lot of money, but then Kirk cuts in.

"...if you say so, Kirk. I'm fine with that if you want to cover it."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

8. - Top - End - #158

NinjaGuy

[Returning from mission]

Electra stares wide-eyed at Kirk for a moment, then blinks slowly, and gives him an appreciative smile.

"All right, then." She's tabulated the total, even given the discount she gets at Erin's for being a MERC member. Most of the cost comes from the charge on her amulet that was expended to keep the demon from possessing her. The person who made it for her told her up front what it would cost to recharge it, and it isn't cheap, but it's better than being possessed. She names an amount. While perhaps not as bad as either Dipsnig or Kirk might have been expecting, it's still a fairly decent sum, indicative of some fairly powerful magic having been used. "That should cover everything, unless Erin's price on those missiles has gone up. It shouldn't have, that was their price last week."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

[Returning from mission]

"Consider it done." The drow says without any hesitation. "Now we still need to talk to Astrana and Dena. If we're done discussing the Kabal situation, we ought to do that."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

[Returning from mission]

Dipsnig shrugs.

"If that's the price we pay for having two of our people come back in one piece and with info... anyway, I think that's all from me."

11. - Top - End - #161

NinjaGuy

[Returning from mission]

Electra nods at Dipsnig.

"I'll let you know what we find out about the drugs once I've talked to VIGIL, sir." Then she looks to Kirk. "Think they'll both be free?"

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

[Returning from mission]

"I'll call and check." Kirk says as they walk out of the office. He produces his phone to make a couple calls and arrange to meet in Astrana's office. (Calls that can be handwaved.)

13. - Top - End - #163

[Returning from mission]

Well, Astrana is in the base, but Dena is not when Kirk calls. She apparently had to take a private job that 'couldn't wait', she can be with them on phone however if its urgent.
    The warlocks office looks pretty much the same as usual, it is neat and tidy. Astrana seem to take great care in keeping her working space in good condition.
    "Okay, so what exactly do you need help with?" Astrana is in her usual business attire.

14. - Top - End - #164

NinjaGuy

[Returning from mission]

"We've got an interview with one of the cultists responsible for that weird crap that happened to Dena a little while ago," Electra tells the warlock, cutting straight to the point. "We'd like you to watch it, and see if what she told us about what was done to Dena and how to prevent it from happening again checks out."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

[Returning from mission]

Kirk informs Dena she's going to want to hear this and puts her on speaker phone for the chat with Astrana. Otherwise he just waiting to see what the warlock thinks.

16. - Top - End - #166

[Returning from mission]

"Very well." Astrana sees no reason to not starting to watch it right away.

"Well, she got that sympathetic link right, the closer the attachment, the closer the magic. But bolts don't sound nearly enough to cause the effect your described what miss Xifhara suffered." Astrana remarks as finishes watching. "You would need something much closer than that, at least in general. Without more details I can't really tell for sure. I don't even know anything about this 'god' she worships. If its so closely associated to gorgons, it might be able to influence them? But then why would they even need the crossbow bolts in the first place? But to summarize, in my professional opinion I don't think she is being completely honest here, though she obviously knows about rituals."

"****ing creeps." Dena remarks on the phone. "If this god of theirs have some connection to my curse, it sound we'd have to take down the whole cult."

17. - Top - End - #167

NinjaGuy

[Returning from mission]

"Anika seems pretty freaked about the whole, 'create a child from the moonwell' thing, but I'm inclined to agree that there's more that Shanti's not telling us. I mean, she said you could just have a protective magic item on and it would keep them from doing stuff like this short of needing blood or a treasured item, but what sorts of protective spells would be good for guarding against this sort of thing?" Electra asks. Shanti clearly avoided being specific about this, so it's definitely a legitimate question.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Kitty Quarters

As the smoke swirls around Krayger, his fur starts rippling and shifting and changing color. For a moment it seems to be swirling like the smoke...and then everything settles to reveal a cream-colored minotauress, topless, and with the button popped off of pants that no longer accommodated her hips.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

[Kitty Quarters]

The first sign that something's gone wrong is the sound of snapping threads. For Krayger, it seems to be going well, as Eswil stops invoking a sudden mental reduction of age on sight once the dust clears (though she's still puppy-cute, all around admirable, and probably the kind of person Krayger would be all over if Krayger was a bunny-boy). But the large chunk of brown in the center of Krayger's vision has changed color, which is disconcerting, as is the increased weight of her tail. And her pronouns don't feel right at all. Slowly, some things click (not including her hooves, which always do that on hard floors) and she runs her hand over the long horns that run backwards, looping down beside her neck.

"Very much didn't work, Xun- **** **** ****." Krayger claps her mitts over her mouth, realization whacking her with that distinctive voice.
    Plus side, she's not in love with Eswil.
    Down side, she looks like her ex. Complete with all the muscle and curves and voice that Krayger had enjoyed just a day ago.
    But not the outfit, which probably would have helped, as Krayger now finds herself badly in need of pants that fit, upper body garments, and a feminine version of her name to use. For now, trying with the most aggravated snort likely heard in this room to get her pants back on and hold them in place becomes her concern, not having the mindset to cover anything else. Her one consolation is that in a realm full of unrealistic body shapes, especially when it comes to curses, she's at least someone who could have existed normally, and is at least something pretty (from her own people's standpoint) and not hideous. It's more of the specific nature of it that's the problem.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2018-04-15 at 01:23 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Kitty Quarters

As the smoke swirls around Krayger, his fur starts rippling and shifting and changing color. For a moment it seems to be swirling like the smoke...and then everything settles to reveal a cream-colored minotauress, topless, and with the button popped off of pants that no longer accommodated her hips.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    [Kitty Quarters]

The first sign that something's gone wrong is the sound of snapping threads. For Krayger, it seems to be going well, as Eswil stops invoking a sudden mental reduction of age on sight once the dust clears (though she's still puppy-cute, all around admirable, and probably the kind of person Krayger would be all over if Krayger was a bunny-boy). But the large chunk of brown in the center of Krayger's vision has changed color, which is disconcerting, as is the increased weight of her tail. And her pronouns don't feel right at all. Slowly, some things click (not including her hooves, which always do that on hard floors) and she runs her hand over the long horns that run backwards, looping down beside her neck.

"Very much didn't work, Xun- **** **** ****." Krayger claps her mitts over her mouth, realization whacking her with that distinctive voice.
    Plus side, she's not in love with Eswil.
    Down side, she looks like her ex. Complete with all the muscle and curves and voice that Krayger had enjoyed just a day ago.
    But not the outfit, which probably would have helped, as Krayger now finds herself badly in need of pants that fit, upper body garments, and a feminine version of her name to use. For now, trying with the most aggravated snort likely heard in this room to get her pants back on and hold them in place becomes her concern, not having the mindset to cover anything else. Her one consolation is that in a realm full of unrealistic body shapes, especially when it comes to curses, she's at least someone who could have existed normally, and is at least something pretty (from her own people's standpoint) and not hideous. It's more of the specific nature of it that's the problem.
    Kitty Quarters

Eswill stares for a moment, probably a longer moment than necessary before she realizes she's gawking and slaps a hand over her eyes with a groan. Oddly enough, she's not thinking about how different Krayger is right now, or how badly the ritual seemed to have messed up. What dominates her thoughts is 'How the heck did I do that!?'

Gobbun magic is not particularly good at changing things physically, as far as magics go. Believing you can melt steel with your eyes is the stuff of small children's make-believe, and all gobbun experiments in teaching toddlers shamanism were deemed incredibly unsafe after the little monsters let their imaginations run wild too effectively. It takes years and much wisdom to relearn that, with enough belief and will you CAN change something to be something else, but that you really probably shouldn't.

But changing another person to be something entirely Other, working against their own belief in who they ought to be and how they ought to be shaped... even with the help/twisting of a particularly smart magical feline, Eswill finds herself disbelieving her own work!

A second thought comes to mind. Maybe... "So.... does this happen to you often, then?" A man who's been turned into a woman once might be far more willing to believe it could happen to him again, after all. Maybe that helped it along? "Did we at least break the effect of the runes?"
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

[Returning from mission]

"We have her nailed to a wall as long as we remain friendly with Vigil. She might be more cooperative when she realizes we have resources to call out her lies." Kirk points out. The drow's expression is dark once again. If she thought he wasn't charitable last time... "Is there some way you could get a better sense of what kind of power Shanti is wielding, Astrana? Perhaps if you examined this 'moon well'."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Kitty Quarters

Xun sits up abruptly, ears flattening out to the side, whiskers forward, and tail twitching rapidly. If either of them have any particular concept of feline expression, she's very much not pleased. After a long minute looking at Kragyer (Krayga?), she only says That was...not supposed to happen.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

[Kitty Quarters]

”No!” Krayger snaps at Eswil's first question, flinching immediately afterwards.
    "Sorry. No, I've never been enchanted in any way before yesterday. Yes, the love runes seem to be gone at the very least. Rassa must have put a contingency on them somehow. Or is just watching me." she says, looking up at the ceiling and making an odd gesture with her arms.
    "Um, what do we do now?"

24. - Top - End - #174

Kitty Quarters

Eswill grumbles, stupid tricky fey. "Well if there's one thing gobbun magic's really good at, it's hiding things and people. If this fey is peeking in on you, I could weave something that would keep eyes off until we've fixed this... madness." See before, when the runes were just messing with Krayger's head, Eswill was slightly unsympathetic if concerned. Now she's actively grumpy that the ritual she was co-opted into was seemingly booby-trapped and so easily thwarted.

"If there's more traps hidden underneath then removing each layer until there aren't any left might be the best way, like an onion. And if there's some crying involved then it's even more like an onion! We shouldn't give up now that you're in an even greater mess- did you say love runes?"

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    [Returning from mission]

"Anika seems pretty freaked about the whole, 'create a child from the moonwell' thing, but I'm inclined to agree that there's more that Shanti's not telling us. I mean, she said you could just have a protective magic item on and it would keep them from doing stuff like this short of needing blood or a treasured item, but what sorts of protective spells would be good for guarding against this sort of thing?" Electra asks. Shanti clearly avoided being specific about this, so it's definitely a legitimate question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Returning from mission]

"We have her nailed to a wall as long as we remain friendly with Vigil. She might be more cooperative when she realizes we have resources to call out her lies." Kirk points out. The drow's expression is dark once again. If she thought he wasn't charitable last time... "Is there some way you could get a better sense of what kind of power Shanti is wielding, Astrana? Perhaps if you examined this 'moon well'."
    [Returning from mission]

"I already made Miss Xifhara an talisman to protect from further meddling by her own request. It was a made through a bloodbinding with her blood. Its a sort of a counter-ritual to what they performed." Astrana explains.
    "As for this well, I could have a look at it if you give me the location. I would need an escort though, obviously."

"I support anything that makes us learn more about this cult and their god. I mean, she makes it sound like there is a whole faction of cultists out there. Perhaps holding up in more of those temples, like the one in Seaside. Makes me wonder what they were doing in skyside in the first place though. The Shanti person is a druid, so what is a druid and her cronies doing in the middle of the least natural place in the world? The only snakes up there are KABAL." Dena observes over the speaker.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2018-04-16 at 11:01 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176

NinjaGuy

[Returning from mission]

"I can escort you, but we can probably kill two birds with one stone, since I traded an analysis of what this drug KABAL's been spreading around is for your analysis on this. We could just wait until VIGIL's done their analysis and have the meeting there. That way, they can hear it directly from you," Electra posits, crossing her arms over her chest. "Unless you think it's urgent enough that you should see it right now, right away."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

[Returning from mission]

"Good, do that then." Kirk nods to Electra. "But I'll recommend analyzing the moon well beforehand, without them knowing. Both Anika and Shanti have some connection to it, so I'd want to make sure there won't be any interference." It's not that Kirk mistrusts Anika, but her loyalties can't be relied upon.

28. - Top - End - #178

[Returning from mission]

"I'll let you judge how much of an hurry we are in." Astrana says with a nod.
    "I agree with Kirk. Trusting VIGIL more than we need to here seems unwise. If they saved Shanti, then they're involved, wherever they like it or not. They can hardly stop us from going there anyway. Its not in their base and it's clearly in our interests to find more about it considering our conflict with the cult. Therefore, we got as much a right to check it out as they do. Its not like we're going to claim it for ourselves, just find out how its all connected."

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Kitty Quarters

Xun still seems a bit shocked, but starts muttering to herself well maybe if we adjusted the runes here and here that would let us get a magical resonance reading and try to remove the spell...

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

[Kitty Quarters]

Krayger looks down at herself, her busted pants which strain as she tries to pace the room, her pale coat and her...chest. She looks over at Xun, already preparing to give the spell another shot, and potentially even worse. What if it makes her act like Rassa did on the farm? Or worse, give her one of Rassa's other forms, like the pretty skinny human? Krayger paces uneasily as Eswil and Xun deliberate her fate.
    "Uh, well, how about you give your research some time, make sure everything's in order and safe. And when you're sure it'll all go well and I won't end up with any more new organs or bodies or such I'll uh...we'll talk then thanksbye." Krayger stammers, grabbing Eswil gently by the waist and carrying her off a few doors down to Krayger's own room.

The inside is meticulously well-kept and clean, full of well-organized documents, maintained weapons and armor, and an array of books and scrolls and weights for lifting. It smells a bit like Krayger, but he's had to keep the window shut in the cold.
    Eswil is put down gracefully, and Krayger leans against the closed door in obvious exasperation, letting the ill-fitting pants fall off. She looks towards the open closet, scanning for something that might fit.
    "I'm sorry this is all just too much."