Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default The Threshold OOC II

Alright, first post, second thread:

I'll need initiative rolls from everyone - Bobin already rolled - to sort of the order in which things happen. We're not necessarily entering combat, but ... well we might =)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Threshold OOC II

Player Character Init Spot Listn
    Wogwoggle Bobin
    iTookUrNick Sky Captain Jack "Hardball" Swindle
    WalkingTheShade Jon Turnip

(B = Bobin, J = Jon, SK = the Sky Captain.)

Item # Market price or origin Location or time of use
    Alchemist fire 5 2 Kelsen's Fist armory Spent vs. the Wyvern
    Antitoxin (alchemical substance) 2
    B, SK
    Everburning torch 1
    B
    Smokestick 3
    One each
    Thunderstone 2 1
    SK, Bobin used his vs. Antonius
    Cure light wounds (potion) 3
    One each
    Cure light wounds (potion) 10 3 Kelsen's Fist armory Bobin and Jon each drank one after finding the stash. Gromul drank one while fighting the wyvern spawns. Then we gave one to wyvern mom.
    Bobin and Jon drank three in total after fighting the fire elemental in Faelathaniel's den.
    Neutralize poison (potion) 3 Kelsen's Fist armory ?
    Magic weapon (oil) 1
    SK
    Shield of faith +2 (potion) 1
    Used vs. Antonius
    Cure moderate wounds (potion) -
    Used to get Gromul back up after the fight against the specters of Kelsen's Fist.
    Lesser restoration (potion) 1
    B
    Restoration (potion) 1 Kelsen's Fist armory ?
    Invisibility (potion) 1
    SK
    Spider climb (potion) 1
    SK
    Total
    -
    -
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2018-08-09 at 12:22 PM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

And here's Jon Init roll: Initiative - (1d20+1)[8].

EDIT: So yeah, each of us still has a smokestick. Bobin could throw his on Truffaut and the guards around him. That could give Jack and Jon a good distraction to sleep in between them.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2018-01-22 at 08:04 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

4. - Top - End - #4

I think I can answer the question about the greek fires. I think you used three. Not sure though, and it doesn't feel important enough to leaf all the way back through the thread to find out for sure.

Edit: Oh and, smoke sticks will negate range, reducing the potential number of AoO's from 3 to 1 each. Also grant 20% concealment.

Wow, I never thought they could be so useful. Always pack smoke sticks vs giants, eh?

Edit2: Oh, it occurred to me to point out that ... if you run, Trufaut is almost certain to go into the bank, and make sure they know someone stole his key and signet ring.

Just saying. Not a trap or anything. Promise.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-01-22 at 08:17 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Edit: Oh and, smoke sticks will negate range, reducing the potential number of AoO's from 3 to 1 each. Also grant 20% concealment.

Wow, I never thought they could be so useful. Always pack smoke sticks vs giants, eh?
    Well, you never played Counter-Strike? Smoke grenades are so ever useful, both for offense and defense.

Edit2: Oh, it occurred to me to point out that ... if you run, Trufaut is almost certain to go into the bank, and make sure they know someone stole his key and signet ring.

Just saying. Not a trap or anything. Promise.
    I guessed Truffy would be waiting at the bank. But I didn't want to spoil the fun for the other players :P

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Well, you never played Counter-Strike? Smoke grenades are so ever useful, both for offense and defense.
    Twice. I've played it twice. I'm unsure if we even had smoke grenades? I had a shotgun, and my mate had an LMG, and we proceeded to trounce a local clan who happened to be playing at the same lan café as us.

This would have been in ... 1998 or so? When I still had the reactions for that sort of thing =)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I guessed Truffy would be waiting at the bank. But I didn't want to spoil the fun for the other players :P
    I figured as much, but I had hoped that wit everything that had happened, we could beat him there. Perhaps evade him on our way out.ù
    Oh, and I rolled intitiative already. It's a 16.

Edit: ah, the table. fantastic!
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2018-01-22 at 10:36 AM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #8

Aha!

... so it turns out I'm the only one who hasn't rolled initiative yet, is that what you're trying to say?

Well, I guess that is a valid point :p

Initiative: (1d20+4)[19]
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-01-22 at 12:40 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's Jon's sheet. His AC should be 19 (or 20, can't remember if that armor was +1 when worn in full). 18, 18 it is.
    I think I used the word Field Plate - plate armor that straps easily over existing chain mail. What I had in my was what I remember from Dragonlance, a full plate mail with slightly less AC, but better penalties. Thus:

Field Plate: AC+7, Max Dex 1, Spell Failure 25%, DR3, 20'.
    For the light version, take your pick of chain mail or chain vest, -10% spell failure.
    Woggle, Nick, give me links to your sheet and I'll put a table up in my post above.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2018-01-25 at 07:01 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

*Ding!*

DR proves it's worth.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Here is Bobin's sheet.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

And here's Jack's.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

13. - Top - End - #13

Smokesticks don't last, and have a small AoE. Thus, some coordination is required.

If Bobin throws it now - they will simply move out of the smoke on their turn, rendering it useless. So in my opinion, Bobin should ready an action to throw on their turn. Like, just before they act.

Right? Or does Bobin have a better plan?

14. - Top - End - #14

That makes sense to me. I don't think I have anything better for Bobin, short of just throwing his mindblade, and now I kinda want use the smokestick . I'll edit my last post for the ready action.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, by Chtulhu, we're waiting on me, aren't we? I was sure we were waiting one someone else. I'll post right now.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Edit: Those are some incredibly crappy rolls =)
    Wow. It's like we're rolling your dice.

17. - Top - End - #17

Wow. It's like we're rolling your dice.
    Heh - yea .... wait, are you?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

It's obviously the opposite.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh - yea .... wait, are you?
    So, huh, I don't feel like our actions were resolved. Did Jon manage to push through the guards? It seems so, from your rolls.

20. - Top - End - #20

So, huh, I don't feel like our actions were resolved. Did Jon manage to push through the guards? It seems so, from your rolls.
    Um ....

Yea, my rolls were awful, so Mundo Jon is free to go where he pleases. But now that you mention it, I never actually presented that conclusion, as such.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Mundo
    Sorry, I didn't get this reference...

Sniping, while definitely valid, comes with rather heavy penalties. As in -20. So ... let's break it down.
    Yes, but RAW, sniping is staying in place, trying to shoot AND stay hidden. Result: As long as you succeed on your hide roll, opponents don't know where you're sniping from.

What Jack is doing is by RAW different: he shoots, pretty content at being seen. Then, he relocates behind cover. As long as he needs less than half his movement speed to reach cover, he gets no hide penalty. Between half move speed and full move speed, he gets a -5 penalty. Result: As long as Jack succeeds on his hide rolls, opponents have some idea where he just relocated to (they have no line of sight). They could try to aim at him with splash weapons or AoE spells (these require no line of sight). They just can't directly shoot him, as long as he's behind solid cover (no line of effect nor line of sight). They could try to shoot him with total concealment if he hid behind darkness or fog, as long as they have a way to guess his location (line of effect but no line of sight).

EDIT: Or yes, they could try to circle around his cover, until they have line of sight. Or close in to his cover and engage in melee.

That's why grenades are useful against a mobile enemy in close range in urban warfare, and utterly useless against an undetected sniper, whatever the distance.

These are the times I really love the 3.5 rules, as they sometime modelize stuff pretty well.

EDIT: got the penalty for moving between half speed and full speed wrong, it's -5. See here.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2018-01-31 at 10:54 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Since Bobin's initiative is now the same as Trufaut's and the guards, (due to the readied action being taken at the top of the round) do I act before or after them? Bobin's Dex modifier is almost certainly higher, so he'd go first, correct?
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Sniping rules are highly debatable. I'm pretty sure I'm lenient enough - I could also argue that he's in plain sight, and cannot hide at all. Or we could go into the minutia of 'what if I crawl under the stall?' Or some similar nonsense.

Sniping is hard, and is meant to be hard - whatever the commonly accepted interpretation of RAW might be. It's easier to run around a street corner - total cover - and kite than it is to snipe when surrounded. I find no flaw in this.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    Since Bobin's initiative is now the same as Trufaut's and the guards, (due to the readied action being taken at the top of the round) do I act before or after them? Bobin's Dex modifier is almost certainly higher, so he'd go first, correct?
    By RAW, you get to act before whoever triggered a readied action.

Quote Originally Posted by d20srd.org
    For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action.
    Source

Sniping rules are highly debatable. I'm pretty sure I'm lenient enough - I could also argue that he's in plain sight, and cannot hide at all. Or we could go into the minutia of 'what if I crawl under the stall?' Or some similar nonsense.

Sniping is hard, and is meant to be hard - whatever the commonly accepted interpretation of RAW might be. It's easier to run around a street corner - total cover - and kite than it is to snipe when surrounded. I find no flaw in this.
    Understood!

25. - Top - End - #25

By RAW, you get to act before whoever triggered a readied action.

Source
    Ah, I must have missed that last part about acting immediately before, thanks!
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

You're really going to leg it? Heh - alright =)

Again, just imagine: There isn't a level 5 wizard in this city. That Summon Monster III isn't something he can easily replace. The fact that he used it speaks volumes of how much he wanted to stomp you out. And the fact that it failed ... well, I can take a certain satisfaction in the misfortune of my villains =D

But you're giving him the victory of retaining ... whatever is in the deposit box.

Unless you have even cleverer plans, that is.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

You're really going to leg it? Heh - alright =)
    I'm actually unsure about that. Jon is very very very confused at this point. He's going to realize soon Jack is not with him. He might decide to go back for him. The biggest problem facing Jon is that he doesn't want to hurt the guards. I think I'll start dishing out non-lethal damage : )

Again, just imagine: There isn't a level 5 wizard in this city. That Summon Monster III isn't something he can easily replace. The fact that he used it speaks volumes of how much he wanted to stomp you out. And the fact that it failed ... well, I can take a certain satisfaction in the misfortune of my villains =D
    Why did he have to roll for that scroll? Oh, because it's above his own caster level, right?

28. - Top - End - #28

Why did he have to roll for that scroll? Oh, because it's above his own caster level, right?
    Precisely. Just needed a 6. Poor guy =)

29. - Top - End - #29

Here is Bobin's Will save against Tasha's Hideous Laughter:

Will - (1d20+6)[21] (DC 14)

Edit: This string of luck is beginning to make me nervous.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2018-02-05 at 05:46 PM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

KK, do you Need anything feom me to go on? If so, do let me know!

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika