Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Threshold OOC II

I do need to know where Jack would like to be, currently. There are plenty of hiding places, and climbing walls is also possible - it's just a closed square (well, not really, not anymore), and there's the risk of being spotted.

Trufaut, vs. Intimidate: (1d20+6)[20] DC is Bobins roll of 9, plus situational modifiers. These include:

Trufaut isn't a brave person - he likes for others to bleed, not himself ... +1
    The fight isn't going anywhere near how he imagined it ... +2
    Trufaut reasonably expected to be the guy with actual class levels - not you guys ... +2

So final DC is 14.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it would be best If Jack were to find shelter in one of the buildings if not too much trouble, otherwise it is reasonable to go for one of the market stalls for the moment.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

How far is Trufaut from Bobin now, and are any of the (three, right?) halberdiers providing him with partial cover?

Edit: Also, ouch.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2018-02-11 at 10:51 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

4. - Top - End - #34

Trufaut takes a 5' step, meaning he's right outside melee range. Bobin can take a step himself, getting in melee range, and wont trigger attacks of opportunity - but will have to tumble if he wants out of melee at some point.

You asking, I guess, whether any of the halberdiers provide cover for Trufaut? No. The halberdiers form a line, and while friendly move is possible through an occupied square, Trufaut has only 5' of move - so he steps sideways, where he has no cover.

Sort of like:

. . .B
    T
    HHH

See? In fact, Trufaut blocks one of the halberdiers, but that's a concern for next round.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-02-11 at 12:01 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35

Apologies for my dramatic drop in posting pace. New job, and I experience being tired, something I otherwise assume to afflict only other, lesser people.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Apologies for my dramatic drop in posting pace. New job, and I experience being tired, something I otherwise assume to afflict only other, lesser people.
    Oh, I could have told you all about it...

In other news is Trufault injured? Is he bleeding/can otherwise be tracked?
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2018-02-17 at 01:31 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    In other news is Trufault injured? Is he bleeding/can otherwise be tracked?
    Uh ... I doubt he is. Did anyone actually nick him? I don't think so.

You can try to listen. Not easy, but not entirely impossible either. If he goes through the square though, he'll have archer cover too. Also, it's a reasonably fair assumption that he'll have 3 minutes of duration, if that's any help.

Or you could try to guess. There are only four possible exits.

8. - Top - End - #38

I'm quite certain no-one managed to damage Trufaut. On another note, are the three halberdiers threatening Bobin, or did their 5-foot steps take them outside of reach?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39

Well - since they have reach, yea, they still threaten Bobin. Bobin, conversely, can 5' step to attack, without provoking attacks of opportunity. Or 5' out of range of them, if he so desires. At which point it becomes kind of a dance =)

10. - Top - End - #40

So, I didn't see any way for Bobin to try and follow after Trufaut. He doesn't have the move speed to try and tumble past the guards and give chase. And while he and Jon could probably take out the guards, I know Jon doesn't want to kill them and Bobin's not really sold on the idea either. He did kill the archer, but I promise he feels (at least a little) bad about it .
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41

Bobin's down -10 HP, and if I remember correctly, on a night's rest PCs recover their level's worth of hit points, right? So 6 hp from Jon would be plenty.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42

Hm, if I didn't know any better, I'd say it's con bonus + level. Or am I being too generous now? Does anyone actually remember what the rule used to be?

13. - Top - End - #43

Per the SRD, (link) after a full-night's rest you recover your level worth of hitpoints, and after a full day and night's rest you recover twice that.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, Jon's LoH gives Bobin 10 hp back.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    Per the SRD, (link) after a full-night's rest you recover your level worth of hitpoints, and after a full day and night's rest you recover twice that.
    Yea, but it's not like I generally do more than politely nod towards the actual rules. Never mind - Jon will regain his LoH anyways.

Sleepy-time? Then visit with the patriarch of the Thalaniel family?

16. - Top - End - #46

Yea, but it's not like I generally do more than politely nod towards the actual rules. Never mind - Jon will regain his LoH anyways.

Sleepy-time? Then visit with the patriarch of the Thalaniel family?
    Ah! I knew there was something else I was forgetting that we had to do in the city. That sounds fine to me. Even with hp restored Bobin could use a nap at the least, I think.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47

How Epic works:

Essentially, at level 5, you're very near immortality. You can perform feats of magic or martial prowess undreamed of.

You're still 'just' level 5. You cannot cast meteor swarm or time stop, however tempting that might seem. But you can create any magical effect in the book - given enough time, preparation and materials. Clearly, this favors casters, but for the more melee inclined - if you consider yourself so - other options are available. You could decide to improve weapons or armor, or you could decide to wrestle a dragon ... with a decent chance of succes.

I leave it mostly to your imaginations how you want to interpret this. I'm not saying you can do anything and everything - but I will consider anything and everything.

18. - Top - End - #48

I had thought that our escapade with Trufaut's key had interrupted our level-up to 5. I guess I should roll for HP then:

HP - (1d10)[4]

HP2 - (1d10)[5] (in case of a 1)
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

hp - (1d4)[1], hpBackup - (1d4)[3]
    Levelling up. Choosing powers...

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

20. - Top - End - #50

HP rolls of 1 are rerolls.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

I leave it mostly to your imaginations how you want to interpret this. I'm not saying you can do anything and everything - but I will consider anything and everything.
    So, hum, in the light of this last sentence, would you consider taming shadowcats with sweets to be part of "anything and everyting"?

Also, HP dice: using first that's not a 1 - (5d4)[2][1][2][3][1](9).
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

22. - Top - End - #52

Gimme a sec to ponder how I want to react to a natural 20 on a check that isn't, by design, meant to be relevant in this context :p

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Gimme a sec to ponder how I want to react to a natural 20 on a check that isn't, by design, meant to be relevant in this context :p
    Yeah, don't worry, I empathize with DM issues. I wouldn't mind if it fails anyways: There's no reason I'd expect to cross a 1000 meters wide chasm by rolling a nat 20 on a jump check.

I just leveled up and had planned for picking Enlarge Person at this stade. I just realized that if Jon manages to get them to be friendly, I fully intend for him to Enlarge himself then scuffle with them in light play.

EDIT: Really, all Orpheus needed was a bag of dog treats... "Sit Cerberus! Good boy! I mean, you're a good boy, middle head! And you too, left head..."
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2018-03-05 at 08:57 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Since Enlarge Person worked, Toby is going to try to Intimidate one cat.

Are they small or medium? If they're small, Toby gets a +4 on that check, since he's medium now. Intimidate - (1d20-2)[0]

EDIT: Even bigger, Toby looks like a big softy plush ball of fur.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2018-03-05 at 10:37 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

The cats are medium - and unimpressed.

Does anyone else have any actions?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Cat scene: initiative - (1d20+3)[12]

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Initiative - (1d20)[9]

I feel somewhat guilty, as I managed to sneak past a spell before they attacked, whereas iTookUrNick didn't...

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    [roll0]

I feel somewhat guilty, as I managed to sneak past a spell before they attacked, whereas iTookUrNick didn't...
    You are bad, and you should feel bad. But I figure that ... since the cats react to Jon's sudden size increase, and Jack also does, it's a question of who reacts first.

The cats are fast tho.

29. - Top - End - #59

Bobin's initiative:

Initiative - (1d20+5)[6]
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Our luck is back, we didn't beat a 9 with 3 rolls!

Jon's mother told him crossing path with black kitties is so unlucky!