Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Threshold OOC II

System Shock deserves a rework, so much. The story is frankly incredible. And the graphics of the original are .. pretty dated =)

Didcha know Shodan was voted best video game villain ever, several times?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Whois this Traveller you mentioned now?
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #123

Oro Garne? Well, on your way south, you stopped at an inn. On a rock outside that inn was a man smoking a pipe. He informed you he was travelling to Silverbrook, to use the portal. He also taught you about the Path of Shadows.

I bet none of you remember :p

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Oro Garne? Well, on your way south, you stopped at an inn. On a rock outside that inn was a man smoking a pipe. He informed you he was travelling to Silverbrook, to use the portal. He also taught you about the Path of Shadows.

I bet none of you remember :p
    Well, now that you've reminded us, I remember .
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

I am extremely bad with names. You might have noticed that by now.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #126

I mention Oro Garne because he told you about the Path of Shadows - which is something you can invest a feat in, and then you'll be able to travel through shadows. And yes, there will be feats.

Otherwise, Oro Garne propably isn't someone you need to worry about any further. He likely wont turn up again. Much.

:p

Oro means gold, right? Garne the Golden, unimportant NPC - that's what it says on his card =)

Oro Garne, aka Garne the Golden
    Unimportant NPC
    Don't mind me

I've built him up so much now, I'll have to seriously consider never having him return, just to keep you guessing. Or maybe that was my plan all along.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, quick update: I'm still alive but much more busy.

I'm going to pause the games I run, and try to post again in the ones I play in.

It's still going to take a few days for me to catch up on them. Also, a tl;dr of what's happened (if anything) since we left the elf's tower would be welcome.

Also, just to be clear, it's a schedule problem, not a motivation one.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

8. - Top - End - #128

TL;DR of happenings since the Elf Tower:

The Last Elf - as is by now his official nickname - flew off. Jon sharpened his spear, which is now Keen. You also looted the tower for a veritable crapheap of stuff.
    You left to return to Silverbrook, bringing Clovius the new village priest, and Simeon the accountant.
    Upon returning to the ruins of Zeltmar, where the ghoul tribes dwell, you have just made contact again with the chief/shaman/elder/whatever.
    Also, I reminded everyone about Oro Garne - the traveller who taught you about the Path of Shadows.

Other than that, I think you're up to speed. All the loose threads have been tied for the time being, all you really need to do is return to Silverbrook, report to Finnegal, and, well, find out precisely what's going on with Fael thal-Amun, and Faelthalaniel. That's propably not a problem, they'll likely work out some equitable agreement.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Hey, quick update: I'm still alive but much more busy.

I'm going to pause the games I run, and try to post again in the ones I play in.

It's still going to take a few days for me to catch up on them. Also, a tl;dr of what's happened (if anything) since we left the elf's tower would be welcome.

Also, just to be clear, it's a schedule problem, not a motivation one.
    Yes! Great to know you are still with us, man.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

10. - Top - End - #130

Good to know you're still with us, Shade!

Also, I don't remember, but we didn't find anything to do with dragons in our research for the maps, right? Or am I forgetting?
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131

You are forgetting something, yes. I'm not saying what =)

12. - Top - End - #132

Sooo ... you haven't remembered. It's not even all that far back. But before Madripore, of course.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Uhm. The vyvern, perhaps? Not sure how that should count.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    Uhm. The vyvern, perhaps? Not sure how that should count.
    Hm. Good question - let's check: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wyvern.htm

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally all caught up.

"Aww, you poor lonely bundle of stabbing. Of course you can come with us!"
    As Jack is closing in for the kill on Clovius' heap of supplies, he immediately rallies for a heroic defense: Whoa there, young friend - these meagre scraps are all that stands between be and certain starvation. Some wrangling eventually brings the waiter, who assures Clovius the larder is well stocked, and famine may yet be averted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    Bobin steels himself and reaches out to take the bag. Best just go along with it for now, he thinks. "Yes... thank-you, this is very kind! What i've always wanted was a bag of elf bones... oh, pardon me. I wish you the best on your journey, then. May you make it safe and sound."
    These lines made me laugh! I can clearly picture the expression on each of the characters' face!

By the way, I'm not against recruiting more players, even though I'm back.

4 is a good number.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

16. - Top - End - #136

There is a prospective player, but .. I've not heard from him a couple of days. Maybe he's given up due to indecision? He wanted to play a tank, but with Jon back, that's well in hand. Then I proposed a mage. I dunno. I'll poke him, see if he still jumps =)

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Guys, just a heads up. I am still swamped probably untill the end of this week. Let's see how things go.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

18. - Top - End - #138

Well ... the ghouls don't know about the wyvern unless you tell them. However, you have a source of something that's valuable to the ghouls - almost entirely genuine dragon bones. That may be traded with them for something else you might want: Incredients from various races that you can use in elixirs. Of course, you need to convince the live wyvern that it's ok for you to take the bones, if you want that. But at least you're in a strong position for negotiation, having recently trounced it.

The ghouls might actually concievably be a source of other things besides the remains of all manner of grisly remains. Being famously good at digging, they might have unearthed all kinds of things.

What I'm trying to say is I didn't introduce the ghouls on a whim. I've mumbled over and over that, come level 6, your characters will become very powerful. And one of the ways that will happen is by getting better gear, additional magical (or psionic, or even physical) powers, imbibing elixirs .... and so on. The ghouls are a deliberate source of ... stuff.

That said, your trade with them is done for now. So let's move on =)

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a prospective player, but .. I've not heard from him a couple of days. Maybe he's given up due to indecision? He wanted to play a tank, but with Jon back, that's well in hand. Then I proposed a mage. I dunno. I'll poke him, see if he still jumps =)
    Well, I vote we need a healbot aid kit favored soul cleric. Or maybe a druid?

Guys, just a heads up. I am still swamped probably untill the end of this week. Let's see how things go.
    Yeah, well, I guess it's your turn now I'm back :D Let's hope it's nothing bad!

Well ... the ghouls don't know about the wyvern unless you tell them. However, you have a source of something that's valuable to the ghouls - almost entirely genuine dragon bones. That may be traded with them for something else you might want: Incredients from various races that you can use in elixirs. Of course, you need to convince the live wyvern that it's ok for you to take the bones, if you want that. But at least you're in a strong position for negotiation, having recently trounced it.
    You know, I'm seeing some kind slope that is slippery here.
    1. Talk to ghouls.
    2. Point ghouls to cadavers.
    3. Bring cadavers to ghouls.
    4. Produce cadavers to bring to ghouls.
    5. ... ?
    6. Eat the cadavers to become ghouls, thus cutting the middlemen.
    7. Take control of ghoul horde by eating head ghoul, thus cutting another middleman.
    8. ... ?
    9. Ghouls become strong enough to bring Doresain Yeenoghu (oh wait they're lovecraftian ghouls) a Great Old One into the material plane.

Would make for an amusing, if somewhat repeatitive, campaign. Reminds me of Shadows Linger from the Chronicles of the Black Company.

20. - Top - End - #140

Oh, it's actually much more slipperier than that:

1: Bring bones to weird hive mind bug necromancer being
    2: Get wondrous elixirs of granting feats, improving stats or acquiring magical abilities
    3: Realize the elixirs are only more wondrous if the ingredients are fresh
    4: ???
    5: Roll new characters to defeat your old heroes turned villains

21. - Top - End - #141

I figured I would pop my head up and say hello.

I'm the new guy, obviously, but while I'm not playing a cleric, I do have a bard alchemist that I'm hopefully going to be able to use to help you all do what you do, only a bit better. That's a bards job, after all.

I haven't caught up on all the old posts yet, but I'm going to be trying to read the novel that you've all put together.

happy to be aboard though!
    "Not Appropriate? The TigerSaw embodies power, strength, and muderous vigilance. I can think of nothing More appropriate than a fearsome TigerSaw."

I Am A: N/G Human Monk/Sorc (3/2 Lvl)
    Spoiler
    Show

Str-15
    Dex-16
    Con-13
    Int-16
    Wis-13
    Cha-18

Find out = http://www.easydamus.com/character.html
    courtesy of Easydamus

22. - Top - End - #142

Welcome to the game! A bard alchemist sounds like it should fit in fine. It's good to have you with us!
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Welcome on board!

Bard's are great! Also, the most important thing is that you play the character you want to play, isn't it?

About you character, have you found an image or anything? Also, what's your character's gender? I kept my first post neutral, but that will inform Jon's future reactions. He's not the most, ahem, mature PC ever.

Spoiler: Jon Turnip
    Show

Spoiler: Toby, the dog
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144

Thanks for the Welcomes!

I actually have a mostly complete sheet - Innal Luthenjar Bilkenforth VI

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Also, I needed to make a Bardic Knowledge check.....

(1d20)[15]+7

And playing the character you want is an incredibly important part, for sure. It always seems like the character ideas I start with aren't always how the character plays out after a couple sessions, but bards are always a blast, and it really seems like alchemy is going to be a fascinating route to explore with this game.
    "Not Appropriate? The TigerSaw embodies power, strength, and muderous vigilance. I can think of nothing More appropriate than a fearsome TigerSaw."

Spoiler
    Show

Str-15
    Dex-16
    Con-13
    Int-16
    Wis-13
    Cha-18

courtesy of Easydamus

25. - Top - End - #145

Spoiler: Bardic Knowledge (non-bards prohibited)
    Show

Spoiler: I'm not kidding - lightning will strike you!
    Show

Clovius happens to be the name of a famous bard in the capital. Who, as it happens, fits the description of the large man standing in front of you.

The famous Clovius is known for his exceptional voice in song and recitation, for being a gourmand, and for being ... liberal in his flirtations with the wives of others. There is a rumour, however, that not long ago he showed unusually poor judgement, and got challenged to a duel by a very aggresively jealous nobleman.

It's up to your own judgement whether you feel this rumour is something Innal would share with others. There is, after all, such a thing as honor among thieves bards!

Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-05-30 at 06:30 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146

Can I just say: Faelthalaniel and Fael thal-Amune are epic enemies. Since this is E6, and ... they're the E, right? So, when thus far I've pointed out many a time that almost everyone you meet are entirely without class levels - these guys are not. The build up has been long enough that I feel it's superfluous to point this out, but ... still.

How you decide to go about things is entirely up to you. But an unprepared frontal charge is unlikely to end well - not that such an approach has ever been the style of this group =D

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

I nominate KK as Jack's official biographer.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

28. - Top - End - #148

Heroes of renown should have a chronicler worthy of relating their great deeds in flattering and flowery detail, and with an eye more towards drama than actual truthfullness =D

29. - Top - End - #149

*waves*
    Hi there, I'm the bard. I'll be making sure you sound awesome for future generations.

Hahaha

Spoiler
    Show

Str-15
    Dex-16
    Con-13
    Int-16
    Wis-13
    Cha-18

courtesy of Easydamus

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

So yeah, I believe we should go meet Faelthalaniel first. There might be a good reason he (she?) came up with that name, since it seems to be the casus belli here. Or not, in which case we move to *ahem* aggressive negotiations.

If Faelathaniel seems constructive, then we can walk back to the tower. I guess the elf wizard (Fael Thal Amun, is it?) would listen to us: He knows us and we already gave him information. If he needs convincing, we can prove our good faith by stating that we brought magic items he forgot all the way from his tower.

Speaking of items, did we end up keeping one of the two pieces of his horcrux phylactery?