Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Threshold OOC II

I'm going to be just fine following what the group decides, for now, until I get the hang of everything, but I think that sounds like a solid idea to me.
    "Not Appropriate? The TigerSaw embodies power, strength, and muderous vigilance. I can think of nothing More appropriate than a fearsome TigerSaw."

I Am A: N/G Human Monk/Sorc (3/2 Lvl)
    Spoiler
    Show

Str-15
    Dex-16
    Con-13
    Int-16
    Wis-13
    Cha-18

Find out = http://www.easydamus.com/character.html
    courtesy of Easydamus

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Pausing here for the briefest of moments - in case you want to put Clovius to work right away?

3. - Top - End - #153

Alriggt, I dont know why i haven't been getting notifications on the posts that were made last, but I just finished reading through the last 12 pages of posts, and you guys are veritable bad mama jambas.

I freaking loved reading through it.

I'll have a post up when I'm not on my phone later tonight.
    "Not Appropriate? The TigerSaw embodies power, strength, and muderous vigilance. I can think of nothing More appropriate than a fearsome TigerSaw."

Spoiler
    Show

Str-15
    Dex-16
    Con-13
    Int-16
    Wis-13
    Cha-18

courtesy of Easydamus

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyQuinn View Post
    I freaking loved reading through it.
    That feels me with fuzzy happy warmth. *insert rainbow emoticon*
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

5. - Top - End - #155

Alright, this is the first third of the list of questions that I've thought up, that I thought it would be fun to ask. If you feel the need to send the information to me privately, you've already got my email, or pm works, but now that I'm catching up on the story, I'm just fascinated to learn more. lol

Spoiler: ”Bardic Knowldge Checks”
    Show

So, there are quite a few characters and things that there’s a better than good chance my character would have heard or know about that I haven’t had the enjoyment of experiencing yet, so I figured I would take a chance and try to catch up and get into his head a bit more. I’ll roll his bardic knowledge, plus any relevant skill he may have.

Spoiler: ”Meleleus the Magnificent”
    Show

So, he was the previous owner of the “Hummingbird Lyre”, so he was undoubtedly a talented musician or at the very least someone with enough coin to be able to afford such a potent and beautiful instrument.

Bardic Knowledge: (1d20+7)[25]
    Gather Information: (1d20+7)[11]
    Knowledge Arcana: (1d20+6)[17]
    Knowledge History: (1d20+8)[13]

On a fun note, something like this could be a fun twist:
    Spoiler
    Show

And for your daily dose of Horror:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: ”Kelsens Fist”
    Show

So, Kelsens Fist is a nearby fortress? Who built it and when? And who are the current owners, and are there any interesting rumors or details about it? Nothing like an ancient fortress to catch the eye of adventurers.
    Bardic Knowledge: (1d20+7)[27]
    Gather Information: (1d20+7)[18]
    Knowledge Geography: (1d20+5)[7]
    Knowledge History: (1d20+8)[25]

Spoiler: ”Arzengrûul”
    Show

So, Arzengruul was obviously a talented alchemist and writer, since I have his Primer, but did he publish more books? He has a Primer, but maybe there are Advanced guides and catalouges, ect, giving different types of bonuses for the alchemy skill, for the person who uses them. The Core book, the Primer acts as a Masterwork Tool for the skill, so gives a +2 circumstance bonus, but maybe the others could give different bonuses, for example:

Alchemical Bonus
    Competence Modifier -Arzengrûul’s Treatise on Alchemycal Processes and Proper Reagant Refinement
    Profane Modifier - Arzengrûul’s Codex de Plantis, Inferna Nostros Regna
    (Codex of Infernal realms plants)
    Morale Modifier - Arzengrûul’s folio on something
    Sacred Modifier
    Enhancement Bonus -
    Insight Bonus
    Luck Modifier

I could come up with names for the other modifiers as well, though something like Enchanted Mortar and Pestle and Alembec ect, could be a great way to explain an enhancement bonus. Just thinking.
    Bardic Knowledge: (1d20+7)[27]
    Gather Information: (1d20+7)[16]
    Knowledge Arcana: (1d20+6)[26]
    Knowledge History: (1d20+8)[23]

Spoiler: ”Bobin / Jon Turnip”
    Show

So, I already rolled for what I would have heard about Jack, so I figured it would be good to roll for anything about our other two heroes - people talking about their personalities, things people say about them, how they’re perceived or things people have seen them do. Some idea of their capabilities.
    Bardic Knowledge: (1d20+7)[22]
    Gather Information: (1d20+7)[14]
    Knowledge Local: (1d20+8)[25]
    On a side note: Kitties! Come here kitty, Jon has snacks for you! - that made me laugh out loud while I was at work, and I got odd looks.

Spoiler: ”King Ogg / King Hogue / Madripore and the Noble Houses”
    Show

So, I know the group has just returned from Madripore, and ending up there anytime soon is probably unlikely, but since it’s a relatively close town, I figured it couldn’t hurt to figure out what Innal might know about it, since he’s probably been through there himself.
    Bardic Knowledge: (1d20+7)[15]
    Gather Information: (1d20+7)[21]
    Knowledge History: (1d20+8)[20]
    Knowledge Local: (1d20+8)[19]
    Knowledge Nobility: (1d20+8)[10]

Spoiler: ”Clovius”
    Show

If Innal has heard of anyone, it’s likely to be Clovius, as a retired actor. So, maybe he has heard the rumors about why he’s left the stage, or talked to a friend of a troupe that knows the truth.
    Bardic Knowledge: (1d20+7)[21]

Spoiler: ”Gnarl”
    Show
    -
    While having an ork smithy is a fascinating twist, there are surely some rumors and thoughts that people around town have about the man, though they likely respect him as an honest and dependable worker. So, I’m just curious what else Innal might have heard or learned about him, though this is less important. There’s nothing he would use as leverage against the man for anything as simple as better prices, but understanding who you’re dealing with can be important.
    Bardic Knowledge: (1d20+7)[14]
    Gather Information: (1d20+7)[22]
    Knowledge Local: (1d20+8)[13]

Spoiler: ”Father Antonius”
    Show

What’s the story with the departed Priest, and what led to his departure, ect? I haven’t found the original thread, so I haven’t been able to see anything about him or what happened.
    Bardic Knowledge: (1d20+7)[8] - Edit: of course, the lowest roll of all of them is trying to learn about the villian.... of course. lol
    Gather Information: (1d20+7)[21]
    Knowledge Local: (1d20+8)[17]
    Knowledge Religion: (1d20+3)[4]

Spoiler: ”Militia”
    Show

Is there a leader to the small 50 man militia? While they’re not much to talk about, knowing who they are, and what they’ve generally got to bring to bear can be important. Most families are going to have an ancient family sword or cobbled together armor along with bows (mostly used for hunting), ect.
    But there’s been more than one time where Innal has had to beat a fast retreat from a town after seducing the wrong sister or getting a little too rowdy, so knowing which farmhouses to avoid is always good.
    Bardic Knowledge: (1d20+7)[18]
    Gather Information: (1d20+7)[23]
    Knowledge Local: (1d20+8)[27]

Spoiler: ”Rufkin Finnegal”
    Show
    :
    A dwarf, a miller and a refined gentleman. Rich as a count? Anyone who has been around that long and that successful has had more than a few stories told about him, and while the people of the town have a great deal of respect for him, people in small towns do one thing more than anything else: Gossip.
    Bardic Knowledge: (1d20+7)[22]
    Knowledge History: (1d20+8)[12]
    Knowledge Local: (1d20+8)[22]

Last edited by TheMightyQuinn; 2018-06-07 at 05:11 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Str-15
    Dex-16
    Con-13
    Int-16
    Wis-13
    Cha-18

courtesy of Easydamus

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

I should be able to post once or twice IC over the weekend. Coming week, starting monday, risks being so very much busy. Please do not wait on me from then on.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

7. - Top - End - #157

Alright, this is the first third of the list of questions that I've thought up, that I thought it would be fun to ask. If you feel the need to send the information to me privately, you've already got my email, or pm works, but now that I'm catching up on the story, I'm just fascinated to learn more. lol

Spoiler: ”Bardic Knowldge Checks”
    Show

So, there are quite a few characters and things that there’s a better than good chance my character would have heard or know about that I haven’t had the enjoyment of experiencing yet, so I figured I would take a chance and try to catch up and get into his head a bit more. I’ll roll his bardic knowledge, plus any relevant skill he may have.

Spoiler: ”Meleleus the Magnificent”
    Show

So, he was the previous owner of the “Hummingbird Lyre”, so he was undoubtedly a talented musician or at the very least someone with enough coin to be able to afford such a potent and beautiful instrument.

Bardic Knowledge: [roll0]
    Gather Information: [roll1]
    Knowledge Arcana: [roll2]
    Knowledge History: [roll3]

On a fun note, something like this could be a fun twist:
    Spoiler
    Show

And for your daily dose of Horror:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: ”Kelsens Fist”
    Show

So, Kelsens Fist is a nearby fortress? Who built it and when? And who are the current owners, and are there any interesting rumors or details about it? Nothing like an ancient fortress to catch the eye of adventurers.
    Bardic Knowledge: [roll4]
    Gather Information: [roll5]
    Knowledge Geography: [roll6]
    Knowledge History: [roll7]

Spoiler: ”Arzengrûul”
    Show

So, Arzengruul was obviously a talented alchemist and writer, since I have his Primer, but did he publish more books? He has a Primer, but maybe there are Advanced guides and catalouges, ect, giving different types of bonuses for the alchemy skill, for the person who uses them. The Core book, the Primer acts as a Masterwork Tool for the skill, so gives a +2 circumstance bonus, but maybe the others could give different bonuses, for example:

Alchemical Bonus
    Competence Modifier -Arzengrûul’s Treatise on Alchemycal Processes and Proper Reagant Refinement
    Profane Modifier - Arzengrûul’s Codex de Plantis, Inferna Nostros Regna
    (Codex of Infernal realms plants)
    Morale Modifier - Arzengrûul’s folio on something
    Sacred Modifier
    Enhancement Bonus -
    Insight Bonus
    Luck Modifier

I could come up with names for the other modifiers as well, though something like Enchanted Mortar and Pestle and Alembec ect, could be a great way to explain an enhancement bonus. Just thinking.
    Bardic Knowledge: [roll8]
    Gather Information: [roll9]
    Knowledge Arcana: [roll10]
    Knowledge History: [roll11]

Spoiler: ”Bobin / Jon Turnip”
    Show

So, I already rolled for what I would have heard about Jack, so I figured it would be good to roll for anything about our other two heroes - people talking about their personalities, things people say about them, how they’re perceived or things people have seen them do. Some idea of their capabilities.
    Bardic Knowledge: [roll12]
    Gather Information: [roll13]
    Knowledge Local: [roll14]
    On a side note: Kitties! Come here kitty, Jon has snacks for you! - that made me laugh out loud while I was at work, and I got odd looks.

Spoiler: ”King Ogg / King Hogue / Madripore and the Noble Houses”
    Show

So, I know the group has just returned from Madripore, and ending up there anytime soon is probably unlikely, but since it’s a relatively close town, I figured it couldn’t hurt to figure out what Innal might know about it, since he’s probably been through there himself.
    Bardic Knowledge: [roll15]
    Gather Information: [roll16]
    Knowledge History: [roll17]
    Knowledge Local: [roll18]
    Knowledge Nobility: [roll19]

Spoiler: ”Clovius”
    Show

If Innal has heard of anyone, it’s likely to be Clovius, as a retired actor. So, maybe he has heard the rumors about why he’s left the stage, or talked to a friend of a troupe that knows the truth.
    Bardic Knowledge: [roll20]
    Gather Information: [roll21]

Spoiler: ”Gnarl”
    Show
    -
    While having an ork smithy is a fascinating twist, there are surely some rumors and thoughts that people around town have about the man, though they likely respect him as an honest and dependable worker. So, I’m just curious what else Innal might have heard or learned about him, though this is less important. There’s nothing he would use as leverage against the man for anything as simple as better prices, but understanding who you’re dealing with can be important.
    Bardic Knowledge: [roll22]
    Gather Information: [roll23]
    Knowledge Local: [roll24]

Spoiler: ”Father Antonius”
    Show

What’s the story with the departed Priest, and what led to his departure, ect? I haven’t found the original thread, so I haven’t been able to see anything about him or what happened.
    Bardic Knowledge: [roll25] - Edit: of course, the lowest roll of all of them is trying to learn about the villian.... of course. lol
    Gather Information: [roll26]
    Knowledge Local: [roll27]
    Knowledge Religion: [roll28]

Spoiler: ”Militia”
    Show

Is there a leader to the small 50 man militia? While they’re not much to talk about, knowing who they are, and what they’ve generally got to bring to bear can be important. Most families are going to have an ancient family sword or cobbled together armor along with bows (mostly used for hunting), ect.
    But there’s been more than one time where Innal has had to beat a fast retreat from a town after seducing the wrong sister or getting a little too rowdy, so knowing which farmhouses to avoid is always good.
    Bardic Knowledge: [roll29]
    Gather Information: [roll30]
    Knowledge Local: [roll31]

Spoiler: ”Rufkin Finnegal”
    Show
    :
    A dwarf, a miller and a refined gentleman. Rich as a count? Anyone who has been around that long and that successful has had more than a few stories told about him, and while the people of the town have a great deal of respect for him, people in small towns do one thing more than anything else: Gossip.
    Bardic Knowledge: [roll32]
    Gather Information: [roll33]
    Knowledge History: [roll34]
    Knowledge Local: [roll35]

I am slightly horrified by the eagerness with which you've taken to Bardic Knowledge. I think maybe I should have convinced you, instead, that the real power of bards is their social skills and mind affecting spells. 'It's just a telepath psion, only without the psionics' - I might have said. Ah well. I suppose I must lie in the bed I've made.

Menelaus was just your ordinary (-ish) famous bard, poet of kings, lover of women, charmer of dragons, a welcome guest at the fae court - and so on. His instrument wasn't enchanted, per se - rather, the magic of his music rubbed off on it over time, granting it magic.

Centuries ago, there was an orc invasion. Indeed, it was the orc village that lies now burned beneath Silverbrook. From this village, orcs swarmed forth - up through a tall chimney beneath the rock of Kelsen's Fist. Now, it grows slightly confusing as the battle raged back and forth: The orcs built a stronghold on the rock, then human struck back, built their own fortress there to keep the orcs in. The orcs retaliated by digging up, into the crypts below the church.

Finally the orcs were defeated, their village burned, and they were all but wiped out. A few escaped to become the marsh clans. And the hero who defeated them was St. Anton, who rests in the crypt now.

There is a thriving market for magical manuals, primers, how-to's, For Dummies, and so on. It's not like there's a lot of wielders of real magic - and that is in part because a lot of these books are complete fiction. However, there is a trend within the trend: Those authors willing (or reckless enough) to teach dangerous magical theory to anyone willing to pay, tend to be goblins. Arzengruul is one such, and has primers on many topics: Daemonology, Necromancy and so on.

Jon Turnip is the son of an adventurer. They say when Jon was a child, there was an accident - they don't go in to a lot of details, but say simply that Jon's heart is much bigger than his head. They say also that he is completely without fear, that his loyalty is without bounds, and that countless fell beasts and foul villains have fallen before him. They say also that ladies young and old swoon around him - but that Jon is charmingly unaware of this.

King Ogg is something of an oddity. An ogre wandered the badlands north of Madripore - and got it in his head that he was the late King Hogue, last true King of the Realm. And weirdly, King Ogg knows many things that only the old King would have known. It turns out, Ogg is possessed by the ghost of the old King, and thus Ogg has been named (kinda-sorta) Regent. In actual fact, the Marshall holds the Regency on his behalf.

Clovius is a famous bard. You might have gotten more information with a better Gather roll - specifically, if you'd been somewhere where that knowledge is available. Sadly, no one in the tiny and distant village of Silverbrook have even heard of him before.

Gnarl is an orc blacksmith. Surly, prodigiously strong, and creates quality craftwork.

Father Antonius was the old village priest - who tended to a rather dark and extreme interpretation of the gods words. He tried to seduce Jon to this view of things, without luck. Possibly without Jon ever even noticing. He was defeated, but took his defeat to heart, and now works in the community to do good.

The formal leader of the militia is mayor Finnegal. There is a sargeant, Drumfel, who is earnest enough if not any great warrior. Effectively, the freelancers are sort of de facto leaders.

Finnegal is a dwarf. Dwarves are interesting - because they don't much mix with humans. At all. Pretty much all of them live in their mountain fastnesses, and the only one you know of is in distant Æhrengaard. So Finnegal is a rarity. He's a competent leader, and a very competent businessman. He's a big reason Silverbrook is such a wealthy little spot.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Jon Turnip is the son of an adventurer. They say when Jon was a child, there was an accident - they don't go in to a lot of details, but say simply that Jon's heart is much bigger than his head. They say also that he is completely without fear, that his loyalty is without bounds, and that countless fell beasts and foul villains have fallen before him. They say also that ladies young and old swoon around him - but that Jon is charmingly unaware of this.
    I don't think he was ever accidented as a child, but then, that doesn't prevent it being the rumor that goes around. I always thought he was just somewhat slower than other kids, and since he's been always told that he's stupid, he's come to believe it and act it, and well, become it.

I always pictured Jon's intelligence as just below average. I don't think he's a lost cause on that aspect. After all, I could spend attribute points to bring it up to 9, which would make it near average. A human with 8 in STR isn't handicapped. He's simply weak.

I believe Jon's fatal flaw is sloth. He could act smarter, and in the earlier parts of the adventure, specially before Jack's arrival, he displayed some cunning and ability for deceit. However, since Jack's been around, Jon doesn't need to think as much as before. So he doesn't, because that's the easy path to take. Far easier to let others do the brain work. Also, he won't take responsibility for the church. Not only because it's too much anxiety for him, but also because it's damn too much work and not fun enough. He also ran away from the farm, to become an adventurer. Probably, part of that was because farm work is hard work and adventurer life seemed so much more glamorous and fun.

So yeah, Jon's incredibly lazy, both intelectually and also, to some degree, physically.

9. - Top - End - #159

The Jon Turnip fanclub isn't taking any crap from anyone who calls him stupid - they will, politely but determinedly, explain that he simply has a very big heart. They also wont let anyone call him lazy, he's just slightly terrified by responsibility. because he's such an innocent soul.

The Jon Turnip fanclub consists almost entirely of mothers in and around Silverbrook. When Innal asked around, the fathers were not available for comment on Jon Turnip.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

On a boat for a week (holidays, finally!). I will try to update as I may.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

11. - Top - End - #161

I am slightly horrified by the eagerness with which you've taken to Bardic Knowledge. I think maybe I should have convinced you, instead, that the real power of bards is their social skills and mind affecting spells. 'It's just a telepath psion, only without the psionics' - I might have said. Ah well. I suppose I must lie in the bed I've made.
    Well, I apologize if it was too much too fast. I thought it would be a good way to get a better feeling for the setting, for details of the world the characters are living in, and the people they're interacting with, so I can get a better idea of Innals perception of the world around him.

I know his social skills and interactions are important, and we will get to that too.

I know that I've been slow to respond, I'm in the process of getting everything together for a move / new career shortly, so while I'm going to be here, if things get too crazy, I will be sure to post and let everyone knows.

Spoiler
    Show

Str-15
    Dex-16
    Con-13
    Int-16
    Wis-13
    Cha-18

courtesy of Easydamus

12. - Top - End - #162

So, Jack basically needs someone to slap him across the face and succesfully roll assist.

13. - Top - End - #163

I'm not sure what needs to be rolled for an aid check, so here is a D20 with no modifiers for Bobin's help attempt:

(1d20)[1]

Edit: Well, I think it's safe to say that however Bobin tries to help, it doesn't work
    Last edited by Woggle; 2018-06-15 at 10:13 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

14. - Top - End - #164

One of my favourite things in all the world is how amusingly horrible you guys are at dice =)

15. - Top - End - #165

Hey. I'm still here.
    Just in full moving mode, and on top of everything, trying to figure out if one of my kids managed to burn out the furnace in our house and where on the 5-20k range it's going to fall to fix/replace it.

I'm just not in a particularly happy go lucky, "let's post" place right this moment.

Spoiler
    Show

Str-15
    Dex-16
    Con-13
    Int-16
    Wis-13
    Cha-18

courtesy of Easydamus

16. - Top - End - #166

Bobin will try a knowledge: Psionics check, before he decides to resort to doing something foolish and rash.

K.Psionics - (1d20+2)[4]

Edit: AH HA HA AHA HA! Ahh... this made my morning.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2018-06-19 at 10:24 AM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167

You know what ... here's what: I'll roll for you, and you tell me what you'll do with a succesful roll!

(1d20)[19]

There ya go. Succesful assist. First comes, first served.

:p
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-06-19 at 10:49 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168

Seriously, is no one going to help the Captain? All I'm asking for is one good slap across the face - or any similar idea of how to snap him out of it you can concoct.

19. - Top - End - #169

Lemme know if you want to explore further - or just move on down the right path instead.

20. - Top - End - #170

I'm a lot busier than expected so I may not be able to get a post up until tomorrow.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I for one am back. However, connection is going to be sporadic for the coming two weeks. Should get better from the 16th onwards.

22. - Top - End - #172

I'm here.

I'm out of it today - I'll try to get a post in, but there's a pretty good chance I broke my foot at work, then walked a couple miles on it, and it's not feeling real great at the moment, so I'm a bit distracted.

On the plus side, if I did break it, it'll be my first, so huzzah for life achievements.

Spoiler
    Show

Str-15
    Dex-16
    Con-13
    Int-16
    Wis-13
    Cha-18

courtesy of Easydamus

23. - Top - End - #173

I'm here.

I'm out of it today - I'll try to get a post in, but there's a pretty good chance I broke my foot at work, then walked a couple miles on it, and it's not feeling real great at the moment, so I'm a bit distracted.

On the plus side, if I did break it, it'll be my first, so huzzah for life achievements.
    Oof, that doesn't sound like fun . I hope your recovery goes well.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    Oof, that doesn't sound like fun . I hope your recovery goes well.
    Well - on the upside, odds are he's not typing his updates with his feet! =D

25. - Top - End - #175

Don't judge me! Just because I type with my feet! lol

It's not broken, but very close. Just hurts.

On the upside, I've got to stay off it for a week, so I'll definitely be around, and I figure ibuprofen and alchohol will handle any pains I have.

Spoiler
    Show

Str-15
    Dex-16
    Con-13
    Int-16
    Wis-13
    Cha-18

courtesy of Easydamus

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

I believe the "many unknown to us" is referring to races other than humans. But I stand ready for corrections.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

27. - Top - End - #177

The Bowl will summon a water elemental. There's a little ritual to actually do that - and you don't know the ritual. UMD (or UPD) will let you do it regardless, part guesswork, part standard procedures, part brute force. However, you might be able to guess how to do it, or figure it out with some good skill roll and a bit of cleverness.

You don't need any rolls to realise elementals of opposite elements work well against each other, for a given definition of well.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello. I'll be unable to post during the coming week. Please go on without waiting for me.

29. - Top - End - #179

You don't need any rolls to realise elementals of opposite elements work well against each other, for a given definition of well.
    I was just drawing a blank on how 3.5 handled fire vs. cold. I think I was confusing it with 5th edition flame shield, where you can choose to either get fire resistance or cold resistance.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180

Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    I was just drawing a blank on how 3.5 handled fire vs. cold. I think I was confusing it with 5th edition flame shield, where you can choose to either get fire resistance or cold resistance.
    Well - simply put, two equally large elementals of opposing types cancel each other out. If one is larger, it's size is reduced accordingly. Thus, one huge water elemental can destroy one large and one medium fire elemental outright.

Here, I'll lend a hand:

Jack, Knowledge, The Planes: (1d20+6)[16] vs 20

Jack knows the name of some elemental prince of water - at least, he thinks he does. Or did. It's right on his tongue, but he can't quite recall. I'll give you a +4 bonus if you can come up with anything clever. I dunno, maybe you have someone around who knows a bit of this, and a bit of that. Like Jack, I seem to have the name right on the tip of my tongue :p
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-07-08 at 11:30 AM.