New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

Did Hymn change his colors? That picture is of a purple person.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Update

Here are some solutions for your "mystery":

- Who said the portrait is new or recent?

- It's a painting not a photograph, you are aware that paintings can be different than how the object looks in reality, right?
    Of course the easy solution is that the painting is bs or Burke's memory is crap or whatever. But assuming there's no red herring involved, how would you meet the forty years younger version of a man à few years ago? Not including time travel, this suggests either rapid aging of the person or younger clones which apparently freely walk around and do his business for Hymn. Of course events so far suggest the latter, but as people have mentioned, the link between clone army and human trafficking seems weird.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

3. - Top - End - #363
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    This is a universe with aliens. Why isn't she considering an alien? Is this taboo? Is it normalized? Penalized? Absolutely impossible? Why isn't the little guy with the obsession with food a viable choice? He probably knows how to cook!

I mean, a guy saying 'I will equate your field of scientific research with pretty shapes and mythology' is a horrible basis for a relationship. But they are two moderately attractive people below the age of fourty so they are going to get it on. Admittedly, Danica/Brightman would be suuuuuuuper creepy at this point.
    Maybe humans are hard-wired for loving other humans. Although we IRL are pretty adaptable based on social standards (see stuff like the difference between homosexuality today and in Ancient Greece).
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #364
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, at least one species is basically seen as a sex symbol for most of the galaxy . . . But maybe if you tried to get frisky with a frog dude, you'd find out kissing them is like kissing hot garbage or something.

The spirit is willing, but the flesh wants to projectile vomit from your taste. That kind of thing.

5. - Top - End - #365

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    Well, at least one species is basically seen as a sex symbol for most of the galaxy . . . But maybe if you tried to get frisky with a frog dude, you'd find out kissing them is like kissing hot garbage or something.

The spirit is willing, but the flesh wants to projectile vomit from your taste. That kind of thing.
    The funny thing is that I actually addressed this in my slays, a long time ago http://eleggo.net/new-gallery/
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

I think in any world with non-human sapient species, like aliens, humans would definitely tap that. Maybe not all humans would find it to their tastes, but some most certainly would. Several of the...images I've seen on the internet portray human sexuality as capable of appreciating some very non-human things.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

7. - Top - End - #367
    Colossus in the Playground

Aaaand here we go. Dude is at least half drunk and his personal trigger just got pulled. This cant end well. ow the only question is if he is going to charge face first at hymn or actually do the smart thing ad talk to grex.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

Didn't he already think Hymn is evil and involved in the slave trade a while ago?

9. - Top - End - #369
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Didn't he already think Hymn is evil and involved in the slave trade a while ago?
    No, that is the Chief. Nobody of the visitors to Hymn's Estate should think that anything untoward is happening there. It's a vacation for them.

As readers, we know that Burke is right, but this whole approach is unbelievable.

Let's look at it again:
    - Burke just saw a portrait of the young Dr. Hymn, and it looks very much alike to a young man to whom he once delivered something, literally years ago.
    (How did he recognize that guy? Only someone with an eidetic memory or an optical implant that scans all faces and matches them against a database would recognize a one-time-meeting, even if the clone had a pain in the behind when checking that box. Has the eidetic memory been mentioned before, or is this just a new "never-mentioned-before-ability-but-yes-he-always-had-it)?
    - Burke even knew on which occasion and under which circumstances he met that guy.
    (Unless this was the very trip in which he found out about the smuggled people, it's unlikely that he would remember, unless he has that eidetic memory, again.)
    - Burke further assumes that each and every smuggling operation of Kemipo was illicit.
    (Even if that was the case and that crew was just like the Mafia in every way, Burke shouldn't know that, because he was a) not a member of the crime circle and b) he wasn't part of the in-depth investigation of the crew, because c) that investigation didn't take place.

Actually, there are dozens of explanations that completely devalue the insta-epiphany that Burke just had, and "The picture just look similar", "You don't remember this clearly" as well as "better don't jump to conclusions" are the most prominant feature in these explanations.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

This update is just AMAZING!

Some time ago, I thought about complaining to how Burke should have recognized the estate if he was already here, after all, it's supposed to be a unique place.
    Then I changed my mind.
    After all, even if it is a special place, Burke just landed on the hanger and for him it was just another job.

But then this update happened.
    This glorious update.
    Burke, while being half drunk, managed to recognize a person from a painting, from years ago, and also remembered that it happened during a sick day of another captain who was corrupt.

Add this to the point already raised, that even if Burke did remember it, it shouldn't automatically point to that being a slave trade route.
    After all, even corrupt officers do regular jobs once in a while.

Not to mention that this scene just multiplied the coincidence level to a super-power.

This one single page managed to capture most of the flaws of the comic and condense them to just a few panels.
    It is either an amazing level of bad writing, or Mookie trolling the readers.

11. - Top - End - #371

This update is just amazing!
    It is either an amazing level of bad writing, or Mookie trolling the readers.
    I have here the transcript of the next update which was leaked to me by Garth...

Burke: (rund through the corridors until he meets a clone and unmasks him): you Bastard, I knew it! (punches him out and Grabs his weapon)

Burke (storms the stateroom, weapon in hand, while laser bullets miss him) Take cover! I'll protect you from the evil clones! No time to explain!
    Grex: Burke, what did you do?!?!
    (*Bang Bang* two shots kill the masked goons, fired by the good clone who unmasks himself and is revealed to be a slightly younger Hymn without a moustache): Star power, please free our choir from Hymn's reign of evil!
    Danica (mid-transformation) I knew this creepy music guy was up to no good! He makes music!
    Dr Hymn: (shoots his good clone in the cheat, much to the gasps of Brightman) Not so fast! (trains his weapon on Danica) Join my choir and the purity of music will always fill your heart to the brim!
    Brightman (knocks Hymn out from behind, then fusses over the badly injured clone) I will adopt THIS one, he is ten years younger, and he still has a moral compass!
    Chief (manacles Hymn and marches him off) damn, I went all the way to explain hys evil scheme, and all I got is to make an arrest.

Two weeks later: Danica and Burke make out at Dr. Brightman's wedding. The choir performs, now without masks. She throws the flower bouqet and Burke tries to catch it, but kaylo is quicker. He eats the flowers and everyone stares at him.
    Kaylo: Nice snack. ... WHAT?!?

[editor 's note] I omitted most of the inevitable silent panels of shock, blushing and moustache-twirling, but rest assured they will be the there.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

Is that a new font on this page?

13. - Top - End - #373
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Is that a new font on this page?
    So it is! One that uses lowercase letters!

Also, there are a couple of spelling and punctuation errors on that page.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a: Chaotic Good Human Bard(14th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-10
    Dexterity-15
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-6
    Wisdom-9
    Charisma-23

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

Poor Dr. Brightman. Something tells me the story's climax will come before hers.

And the new font is distracting. I obviously can't comment on punctuation or spelling.
    Last edited by Welf; 2018-06-27 at 02:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    Poor Dr. Brightman. Something tells me the story's climax will come before hers.
    I love that wordplay.

16. - Top - End - #376

I think that they forgot to swap font. I doubt that this was deliberate.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

When I tap and hold on the page (equivalent to rightclicking), it says:
    Technical difficulties have necessitated a terrible substitute font. This will be updated as soon as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a: Chaotic Good Human Bard(14th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-10
    Dexterity-15
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-6
    Wisdom-9
    Charisma-23

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucky him

It's likely to assume most people invited to Hymn's place are fans, or at least people who are more likely to believe Hymn over a random person who just shot a guy.
    Lucky for cloak guy, he ran into the only guest who just happened to be angry at hymn one minute before.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm mad at Hymn for killing one of the clones. That's why I'm going to gun down all other clones I meet on my one-man rampage."

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm mad at Hymn for killing one of the clones. That's why I'm going to gun down all other clones I meet on my one-man rampage."
    Love/Lust >>> Logic

21. - Top - End - #381

Beholder

Love/Lust >>> Logic
    If both are being clones it takes "Love Thyself" to a whole new level.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Love/Lust >>> Logic
    I'm willing to buy that, but it all depends on the next update.

If cloak guy's explanation will be emotional and focus on his friend he lost and his will for revenge, that's fine.
    If he will use the time to dump exposition, focusing on something that (coincidentally) Burke needed to know in order to join forces, that will be bad.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Barbarian in the Playground

Presumably Hymn has killed far more than just one, and will continue killing if nobody stops him.
    Also remember how close this guy came to killing the applicant himself; if the other singers are just a bit more "perfect" than him, they'll kill him without a second thought if given the chance.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

I want to mention, for some reason, that I am still reading this, for some reason.

It's merely been so freaking dull for the last, um, lots that I can't come up with any worthwhile commentary.

God, at least Facebath inspired entertaining commentary and satisfying rage.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I want to mention, for some reason, that I am still reading this, for some reason.

It's merely been so freaking dull for the last, um, lots that I can't come up with any worthwhile commentary.

Good news: If you pledge 1132 USD or 981 EUR per month to their Patreon Mookie will continue Dominic Deegan.

$1,868 of $3,000 per month
    Michael will continue the story of "Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire" with "The Legacy of Dominic Deegan!" Set 200 years after the events of Oracle for Hire, it will follow an unlikely hero's search for the hidden legacy of a forgotten seer... whose contributions were never meant to be found.

Michael will continue to write Star Power! Should this goal be met, he will produce both comics at once.
    I'd do it myself, but I don't want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Good news: If you pledge 1132 USD or 981 EUR per month to their Patreon Mookie will continue Dominic Deegan.

Damn. If I had money, I'd actually contribute to that. Dominic Deegan was some amazing badness, especially if he draws it again.

27. - Top - End - #387

Beholder

It is honestly tempting.... No clue why.
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

I know what you mean.

I think it's not that there is nothing to comment about as much as there is nothing NEW to comment about.
    There is a limit to how many times anyone can comment on coincidences, or say that human trafficking does not fit the theme of the arc.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

I know what you mean.

I think it's not that there is nothing to comment about as much as there is nothing NEW to comment about.
    There is a limit to how many times anyone can comment on coincidences, or say that human trafficking does not fit the theme of the arc.
    It's becoming more and more apparent how entirely true it is that DD's greatest strength was its update schedule. Even when the comic was at its worst (and, bizarre nostalgia goggles aside, there were some really godawful parts that at least waded out of So Bad It's Good and dipped into So Bad It's Bad), it gave us something new and horrifying to talk about. Or the same and horrifying, but newly the same and horrifying. Oh, you know what I mean. Contrast with SP's comparatively super-slow update schedule (3/week is, admittedly, higher than most other webcomics I'm still reading, but the glacial "downtime" periods are awful, and somehow there's almost even less content in many SP strips than in DD strips), and there's just plain more time between the parts of SP that inspire discussion than between the parts of DD that inspire discussion.

Of course, that means that the discussion itself is less lively and less self-sustaining, and, well, you can see where we're left.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

It's becoming more and more apparent how entirely true it is that DD's greatest strength was its update schedule. Even when the comic was at its worst (and, bizarre nostalgia goggles aside, there were some really godawful parts that at least waded out of So Bad It's Good and dipped into So Bad It's Bad), it gave us something new and horrifying to talk about. Or the same and horrifying, but newly the same and horrifying. Oh, you know what I mean. Contrast with SP's comparatively super-slow update schedule (3/week is, admittedly, higher than most other webcomics I'm still reading, but the glacial "downtime" periods are awful, and somehow there's almost even less content in many SP strips than in DD strips), and there's just plain more time between the parts of SP that inspire discussion than between the parts of DD that inspire discussion.

Of course, that means that the discussion itself is less lively and less self-sustaining, and, well, you can see where we're left.
    The bold is actually easy to explain. DD was almost entirely tell instead of show while SP does a decent amount of showing, and show takes up a lot more space. When you give the entire story in text boxes, you can advance quite quickly in only a couple panels, but action sequences can take up an entire page without advancing anything. This, I assume, is the primary reason why SP often has simpler stories compared to DD's tendency to become convoluted.