New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Question Help, TWF Question

I know that you reduce your strength bonus by half for your off hand weapon, but what about the Swashbuckler's Insightful Strike ability, or the Shadow Blade Feat from ToB? Are these bonuses halved for an off hand weapon?
    Thanks to Kpenguin for the Superb Avatar.

Deathwatch Characters
    Sven Carlson, Alistayr
    Tristan Weylin, Mikael
    Master of the Forge, Hephaestus Faust, Gwain

2. - Top - End - #2
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Help, TWF Question

Unless they specifically say so, no they are not.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Pretty sure that they don't get reduced. The offhand Strength penalty represents your non-favored hand being weaker than your favored hand. Since insightful strike is based more on your ability to find weak points, I don't think a weapon in your offhand would get less benefit from that.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Not quite, since you can choose from Round to Round which is your Off Hand in 3.5 (at least, according to the Rules of the Game Articles). So, it has become an even less useful rule. I see no problem just dumping it.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Not quite, since you can choose from Round to Round which is your Off Hand in 3.5 (at least, according to the Rules of the Game Articles). So, it has become an even less useful rule. I see no problem just dumping it.
    The purpose of the rule is to make sure than TWF and THF get the same strength bonus, so if you dump the half-bonus-for-offhand rule, you should change THF to double bonus.

Also, it could simulate not so much one arm being weaker, as the PC having to choose which hand to put their full body behind.
    Last projects, from years back: Lesser Disciplines (Tome of Battle). Also, Never Behind the Curve (multiclassing).

Some of my current work is under the name IGTN on D&D Wiki

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, I know. In Saga you do get Double Strength Bonus to Damage for a Two Handed Weapon and I would certainly advocate that.

It can be explained away by any number of means, but, in my opinion, the fact remains that it's always been more of a hindrance to the game than a help and should be dropped at the earliest convenience.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-08-26 at 03:01 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

I know there's at least one feat to give you full bonus to your offhand, but it's a setting specific feat.

Specifically, Hand of Osano-Wo, a mantis clan feat in Rokugan.