Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Default Hunters of the World Scar OOC

Spoiler: Original recruitment post, 16 and house rules
    Show
    Over a thousand years ago, the Last Great War raged between the Free Alliance and the Rulers of Old.

The front spanned hundreds upon hundreds of miles. Magically dug trenches and makeshift walls of stone and iron. Endless charges of foot soldiers into certain death. When the diamonds ran out, resurrection turned into raising, until necromantic energies seeped so deep into the soil that the ground itself blackened. Overhead, Dragons were locked in dogfights with Gnomish aircraft under burning skies, bombarding the armies below.
    In a desperate last move, Humanity employed The Great Gambit, shredding the fabric of magic itself and making it impossible to cast spells. This tipped the scales of war in the favor of the Free Alliance, but at an enormous cost. Without magic, all civilization crumbled, reduced from high magic to simple farming.

To make matters worse, the world now had to deal with a zombie infestation. Where all normal magic had ceased to function, the war front refused to heal. Still dividing the world in two and still filled with seemingly endless hordes of roaming mindless undead that spilled over into the surrounding lands.

In the years that followed, the ancient races (Dragons, Giants, Elves) all but disapeared. The only giants that remained were the ones bred to be simple grunts. The only elves that survived were the much less long-lived (and much less magical) half elves.

On the Free Alliance's side of the warfront, a brave few searched the blackened wasteland (now known as the World Scar) for answers and trinkets they hoped against hope might still function. But as centuries passed, the secrets of the old world were forgotten and only the Scar remained, a barren wasteland, filled with undead, borders kept relatively safe by paladin orders, guardsmen, farmers and, in the case of the Dread Marsh, swamp dwellers.

All that changed about 20 years ago.

When the first old world trinkets lit up in a museum, there was a buzz. First among academics, then nobles, priests and merchants. It only took days for a Machiavellian power struggle of 'who can recruit the most adventurers' to break out.
    A few months later, as if to add coal to the fire, magical children started being born. Normal Humans, Dwarves or Orcs could have children that were born with devil's horns, granite skin, or even the ability to cast spells like the heroes of old.

These children are rare, and where they appear the 'powers of the world' tend to descend like vultures with offers of grooming, training, fame, fortune and wealth. Often, children that haven't escaped such notice are adopted by a faction before they can even speak.

Because of these young talents, and the digging up of old world technology, the world has seen a renaissance in only a few short years. Airships that can glide along Ley-Lines now fill the skies. Expeditions are so profitable that a few fortified settlements have popped up inside the World Scar.

Your adventure starts on an airship headed for one of these settlements, Hirane Frontier, which is built on a relatively flat rocky terrace overlooking a canyon. It houses an Airship Tower, a makeshift monastery where clergymen of various deities can rent a room (or in some cases a wing), along with several barracks, guild halls, warehouses, and of course an inn, all behind high spiked walls that are manned 24-7.

You are what is called a Hunter.

Newly discovered ruins are usually sold to the highest bidder. Various powers in the world buy these contracts and employ Hunters to clear and loot the ruins.

Today, though, is a bit of a different case. Either at the request of your employer or of your own volition, you've joined in on what is called an open contract. These are issued for ruins that form a threat to wasteland settlements, in this case to Hirane.
    About 25 miles south-east from Hirane Frontier lie the ruins of an ancient fort. For some reason, this fort is drawing undead towards it.

Your job is to figure out what the source behind this pull is, and remove it. The loot, you can keep for yourself.

Spoiler: 17 Questions
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

D&D 3.5, gestalt

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Homebrewed campaign setting.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4 players.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

These forums.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

You start out at 3000 XP, which puts you at the bottom of level 3.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

2700 GP at the start.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Game is gestalt. Prestige away.

I'd like to run a mid-OP game. That absolutely doesn't mean you can't play tier 1. But if you're into TO/optimization/arena, try to be mindful of your fellow players.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Your character is probably a member of the new generation and isn't much older than 20 at the most. Or you can be older if you like, but then you'd have to turn to classes like ur-priest, divine crusader or war mind (and unlock them through RP) if you ever want to gain casting.

If it's published in an official 3.5 source we can probably try to fit it in.
    Exception: true elves were highly magical beings with dragon-like lifespans in this setting. They are not available as a PC race. However, you can still use an elven statblock if you like, and refluff it as being a '1/2n elf'.

You're allowed one template, max.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Point Buy:
    LA 0 – 42
    LA 1 – 32
    LA 2 – 25
    LA 3 – 18
    LA 4 – 10
    LA 5 and up - not playable

HP is always max of your HD.

Feat progression as per Pathfinder (so at level 1, 3, 5, 7 and so on). Flaws are banned, but everybody gets two free bonus feats (as if they'd taken two flaws).

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Yes, but I don't enforce alignment restrictions on classes except that paladins have to be lawful good, neutral good or lawful neutral, and that clerics have to follow their deity's teachings to some extent. If you want to play a divine caster and homebrew your own deity, give me a pitch and we can brainstorm about it.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Multiclassing is fine, no xp penalties.
    PrC's can be taken on both sides of the gestalt.
    Dual advancement is allowed but must be fully qualified for on one side and no early entry (except for warlock using practiced spellcaster).

One thing of note here, since this is a gestalt game:

You can only stack one stat, once, to AC/saves/attack bonus/damage.

So a Paladin//Sorcerer casting Ruin Delver's Fortune for Reflex Saves would get no benefit except for Evasion, nor would they get any benefit from a Warblade dip unless their Int was higher than their Cha.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

I'll roll your passives from time to time, and I'll roll initiative, but other than that you make your own rolls. I'll usually roll things open if I think it's a big deal and you are aware of it happening.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Yes, see below.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Absolutely! This is what I'll mainly be selecting on. Try to keep it skirt length, and feel free to sandbox a little.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

All three, but since this is pbp probably more RP and less puzzle solving.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Most official published 3.5 is fair game. If it's dubious or obscure, run it by me.

If it's from Serpent Kingdoms, the answer is no.

I generally don't like Dragonlance, so you can request from it, but with the exception of a few feats (like Keen Intellect) the answer is probably going to be no.

3.x Dragon Magazine on request. I own most volumes and I love them for inspiration but I'm not really comfortable blanket pre-approving them.

Pathfinder:
    If it's on the SRD, it's allowed.
    All pathfinder base races can be used as +1 LA under 3.5 point buy.
    DSP is fully allowed.
    Spheres as well, but I have very limited experience with it so I'll be asking you to break things down for me if you use that and I reserve the right to ban combos I think are broken. For a sense of what I will and won't allow, see the house rules below.

Homebrew:
    You can make a total of two (2) requests.
    Any homebrew class must be taken in its entirety. No dips. I realize some homebrew subsystems have prestige classes. These can be discussed, within reason.
    To keep this fun for me, it's appreciated if you pitch your concept first and don't request things unless you're absolutely sure you want to use them. As a general rule, if it can be done in 3.5 or PF already I am very likely to turn it down.

Xenoalchemy, Magitech Templar and Evolutionist are pre-approved.

17. When does recruitment close?
    Posting interest is possible until the 6th of December.

The deadline for submitting your finished character is Saturday the 21st of December. Party selection will be announced and IC will go up either on Sunday the 22nd or Monday the 23rd of December.

Spoiler: House Rules
    Show

The list below is not entirely complete. But the most important bits are in there and it should give you an idea of how I DM.

A note up front: while these rules are fairly permissive, I'm looking to run a mid OP game here. To be fair, my mid may be your high. But if you play a lot of arena and the like, try to go for flavor over raw power and be mindful of your fellow players.

I run my games as fair as I can. If I use homebrew, it will be available to you. If I ban something, I don't use it myself.

Spoiler: Mechanical things
    Show
    BAB and Saves
    Use fractional BAB and saves. The +2 on a good save only applies the first time.

Spoiler: Feats
    Show

Bonus Feats
    You gain the following feats are free: Able Learner, Dodge, Improved Unarmed Strike, Point Blank Shot.

Furthermore
    • When your base Str is 14 or over, you gain Power Attack as a bonus feat.
    • When your base Dex is 14 or over, you gain Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat.
    • When your base Con is 14 or over, you gain Endurance as a bonus feat.
    • When you have 8 ranks in Concentration, you gain either Combat Casting, Combat Manifesting, Skill Focus (Concentration) or Arcane Focus [Dragon #351, works as psionic focus] a bonus feat (your choice).
    • When you have 8 ranks in Hide, you gain Darkstalker or Mind Mask [Arcane Focus works for this, too] as a bonus feat.
    • When you have 8 ranks in Gather Information, you gain Urban Tracking as a bonus feat.
    • When you have 8 ranks in Spellcraft you gain Eschew Materials as a bonus feat.
    • When you have 8 ranks in Survival, you gain Track as a bonus feat.
    • When you have 8 ranks in Craft (Alchemy) you gain Brew Potion as a bonus feat.
    • When you have 8 ranks in Craft (Jewelcraft) you gain Forge Ring as a bonus feat.
    • When you have 8 ranks in Craft (Weaponsmith) and Craft (Armorsmith) you gain Craft Magic/Psionic Arms and Armor as a bonus feat.
    • When you have 8 ranks in Use Magic Device you gain Craft Wondrous Item as a bonus feat.

These do not grant anything if you already have the feat. That is the price of having it early.
    And if I even hear Chaos Shuffle I'm going to start throwing virtual books.

Feat Changes

Two-Weapon Fighting is merged into one feat that upgrades when you qualify for higher tiers. Additionally, this feat now allows you to attack once each with two different held weapons as a standard action or as part of a Spring Attack.

Multi-Weapon Fighting is merged into one feat that upgrades when you qualify for higher tiers. Additionally, this feat now allows you to attack once each with two different held weapons as a standard action or as part of a Spring Attack.

Insidious Illusions as the ability described in RoS p.148 (gnome illusionist lvl 10) can be taken as a feat by anyone with a CL of 9.

Metamagic
    Metamagics stack only with respect to the original spell, not with respect to eachother.
    For example:
    • A Twinned Maximized Disintegrate creates two rays, one of which is maximized.
    • Occular Spell does not circumvent the “personal/fixed range” clause of Persistent Metamagic.
    • Using Born of Three Thunders does not make a spell a legal target for use with Explosive Spell.

The only exception to this are Still Spell and Silent Spell, which do stack with all other metamagics.

Divination spells may not be the target of offensively oriented Metamagics, such as Metamagics that deal damage or drain levels.

Stacking reducers are fine, just don't go too crazy with them.

Mindsigh, Telepathy and [Mind Affecting]
    A creature with immunity to [Mind Affecting], whether due to creature type, a Mind Blank spell, or otherwise, can opt to completely shut out all telepathy and every other attempt to contact their mind.
    When a creature does so, they interact with Mindsight in the same way that a creature with the Darkstalker feat would interact with Blindsight. However, this renders such a creature completely unable to communicate telepathically or to either send or receive information through other mental channels such as an Arcane Eye spell, a Trickery Devotion Simulacrum or a Status spell. This 'firewall' persists for as long as the Mind Blank or other immunity to [Mind Affecting] persists, and may be raised or lowered at will, as a standard action.

Lifesense
    The light given off by a living creature is blocked by darkness effects. Any shadow effect that sort of envelops a character (such as the Shadowcraft Mage's Cloak of Shadows or the Armor Of Darkness spell) can, at your discretion, completely block the light you give off. That does mean such spells hide your facial features and such as well, which depending on the situation may or may not be something you want.

Spoiler: Skills
    Show

Linked Skills
    The skills listed below are grouped. Their modifiers may be altered by different effects, but buying a rank in one skill gives you the same amount in the other skills, up to their normal limit. Note that this does not let you “double up” by ranking both skills, you just get full ranks in both while only paying for one. This replaces synergy bonuses.
    If a grouped skill is a class skill for you, all other skills grouped with it to automatically become class skills for you as well.
    Grouped skills are:
    • Autohypnosis and Concentration
    • Balance, Tumble
    • Bluff, Disguise and Sleight of Hand
    • Climb, Jump and Swim
    • Escape Artist and Use Rope
    • Hide and Move Silently
    • Gather information and Sense Motive
    • Knowledge Knowledge (Nature) and Survival
    • Listen, Search, and Spot
    • Psicraft and Spellcraft
    • Use Magic Device and Use Psionic Device

Background Skills
    In addition to their normal allotment of regular skill ranks, all characters gain 8 background skill ranks at first level and 2 background skill ranks each time they gain a level. The character's Intelligence modifier doesn't adjust this value. Background skill ranks can be used to gain ranks only in background skills, not adventuring skills. Characters can expend their regular skill ranks on background skills if they desire.

Background skills are:
    • Appraise
    • Craft (Any) - taken individually
    • Craft (Weaponsmith) and Craft (Armorsmith)
    • Decipher Script and Forgery
    • Disable Device, Open Lock, Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering), Profession (Mechanic) and Profession (Siege Engineer)
    • Handle Animal and Ride
    • Knowledge (Geography), Profession (Astronomy) and Profession (Pilot)
    • Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), Profession (Noble)
    • Perform (Any 3)
    • Profession (Any 3 that weren't already mentioned)

Skill Tricks

The Skill Tricks from the list below unlock for free as you qualify for them. You can know a number of skill tricks equal to up to 1/2 your character level, rounded up. The skill tricks from the list below can be used at will. Once you know a Skill Trick, you can only forget it with a Psychic Reformation.
    The skill tricks from complete scoundrel not included in this list can still be taken as normal (i.e. they cost 2 skill points and, unless otherwise noted they can be performed only once per encounter, or once per minute for scenes that don't involve combat or other conflict.) Paying skill points for skill tricks does not allow you to go over your limit for the number of skill tricks you can learn.

• Acrobatic Backstab
    • Back on Your Feet
    • Clarity of Vision
    • Collector of Stories
    • Conceal Spellcasting
    • Corner Perch
    • Dismount Attack
    • Escape Attack
    • Extreme Leap
    • Group Fake-Out
    • Healing Hands
    • Hidden Blade
    • Leaping Climber
    • Mosquito's Bite
    • Never Outnumbered
    • Nimble Stand
    • Opening Tap
    • Point it Out
    • Second Impression
    • Shrouded Dance
    • Slipping Past
    • Spot the Weak Point
    • Sudden Draw
    • Timely Misdirection
    • Tumbling Crawl
    • Up the Hill
    • Walk the Walls
    • Wall Jumper
    • Whip Climber

On knowledge rolls
    I sometimes allow the “wrong” knowledge skill to identify/learn about a monster. For instance, someone with Knowledge (Nature) might be able to identify things about the anatomy of a Dragon, or someone with Knowledge (Psionics) might be able to identify the PLAs of an aberration.

Altered or Removed Skills

Diplomacy: is removed from the game as a skill you can rank.
    Diplomacy in the form of RP still plays an important part in this campaign. And dice rolls definitely still have a place in things like knowledge (nobility) rolls for proper etiquette, appriase for bargaining, or forgery for "official" documents. But no more turning Balors into your pet kittens because you dipped marshal.

Martial Lore is removed from the game as a skill you can rank. Instead, martial lore checks are now made using your highest Initiator level + 3 + your initiating modifier (only add your intiating modifier if you have levels in an initiator class).

Spoiler: Weapons and Items
    Show

Permanencied Spells and Common Effects
    Permanencied Spells re-activate 1d4 minutes after being dispelled. For the caster level, use the lower of the two castings (the original spell and the permanency). The XP costs are unchanged.

All the Common Item Effects listen under MIC p. 234 (Enhancement bonuses to abilities, resistance bonuses to saves, natural armor and deflection bonuses to AC) are no longer available in that form.
    Instead, they become a permanent part of your character, with the gold cost refluffed as the cost of training and training equipment. Because your character actually learns these things, they are no longer considered magical effects.
    That means that these bonuses persist in an anti magic field. Their type is unchanged. So enhancement bonuses still don't stack with enhancement spells, etc.

Weapons and Items

• Anyone proficient with a whip may use it as if he had the Lasher's "Third Hand" class ability (Sword and Fist p.25)
    • Shield Bonuses now also apply to touch AC if the shield is worn. (So this does not apply to animated shields.)
    • Amulet of Mighty Fists has its cost reduced to twice the price of a normal weapon enhancement. So +1 costs 4,000 gold, +2 costs 16,000, etc.
    • Untyped bonuses don't stack with themselves (think of things like Nightsticks and Eager Weapons.)
    • Spellblade (PGtF 120) is allowed, but with a few tweaks. It now grants infinite SR against a single spell or power. So it only works against spells that allow SR or PR. If it is used for immunity against a power, it is called a Psiblade. Additionally, any given instance of a spell may only be redirected once by a spellblade. At a second contact, the spell must either be absorbed or let through.
    • And obvious things, such as Starmantle Cloak not stacking with Evasion and items like Dust of Sneezing and Choking being banned.

This list is not complete, but it should give you an idea of what I will and won't allow.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show

Actions in combat
    Within reason, free actions (such as dropping a weapon or calling an item from your gloves of storing) can be taken off turn. They still cannot be taken in response to an enemy against whom you are considered flat-footed.

Death Threshold
    You die at -10 or – half your total hp, whichever is lower. You bleed out 10% of your max negative hp per round. This is added behind the comma (so if you have a floor of -12, you lose 1 hp for rounds 1-4 and 2 hp at round 5.)

Spoiler: Casting and crafting
    Show

On XP costs
    All abilities that have an XP cost require payment of that cost, no matter the origin or mode of the cast. I don't care if it's cast as (Su). I don't care if you summoned an Efreeti. You're still paying.
    In that same vein, things like Thought Bottling or Restoration/Drain combos will get DM smote.

On crafting
    Craft Points (SRD) are in play and there will be plenty of downtime to craft after the initial dungeon.
    However, with the exception of Artificers, crafting may only be done using crating XP, which can be gained through disenchanting other items.

Disenchanting:
    Once a magic item has been identified, it can be disenchanted.
    To disenchant an item, roll a caster level check or roll versus the caster level of the item. Alternatively, you can also use a UMD check of 20+the required caster level. Regardless of whether you succeed or not, an attempt takes 1 hour and disenchants 5000 gp worth of item. More expensive items require multiple successes.
    An item becomes 'useless' after the first succesful disenchantment.
    The disenchanter gains the crafting cost of the item. That means 1/2 the gold value in raw materials (so 2.5k for a 5k item) and 1/25 the value he disenchanted in crafting xp (so 200 crafting xp for a 5k item).
    Crafting xp stacks ad infinitum, but can only be used to cover the base cost of crafting items. I.e. it can't be used to cover costs for spells such as Limited Wish or Alter Fortune (even when crafting).
    Crafting xp may be used on 'training' for Common Item Effects (see above). Once done, this 'training' is not magical, and so cannot be disenchanted. Training does not require any feats or caster level checks.

Example 1: Luke finds an elegant sword from a more civilized age that glows a bright blue.
    After identifying the item, Luke finds it has a value of 6k gold and a caster level of 8.
    Luke is a 12th level psion and nails his first manifester level check. After an hour of uninterrupted work, Luke gains 2500 gp worth in raw materials and 200 crafting XP. The sword no longer functions, but still there is still 1000 gp worth left.
    Luke works for another hour, only this time rolls a 1 on his manifester check, and so wastes this hour.
    He works for a third hour, and rolls a success on his manifester check. He receives 500 gp worth in raw materials and 40 crafting xp. The sword is now gone.

Example 2: Lord Trippy is a 15th level Wizard. He and his crew of overpowered shadesteel golems find an item worth 100k.
    Trippy has a caster level of 20 because he's being nice. The item also has a caster level of 20.
    Because we're too lazy to roll about 40 rolls, we rule that it takes Trippy roughly one workweek (or 40 attempts, 20 of which are successful) before the item is fully disenchanted.
    Trippy gains 50k gp in raw materials and 4k crafting xp for this.

--

Also on the subject of crafting, I do not allow any cost reducers beyond the 50% discount for crafting.

Artificers are the only exception to this ruling. They may still use their normal XP to craft.

On cast times
    If you mimic a spell, you use the casting time of the mimicked spell or the original, whichever is longer. Supernatural Abilities and SLAs take the same amount of time to "cast" as regular spells. Wings of cover is an exception to this ruling and is always immediate, even when mimicked. Because rule of cool.

On psionics and transparency
    I treat psionics as the third school of magic.
    That means there is full transparency in all ways, in the same way you would expect there to be transparency between arcane and divine magic. Note that this does not mean that psionic characters qualify for feats or classes that require arcane or divine casting, or vice versa.

Cantrips
    Cantrips may be used at-will. (This includes cure minor wounds. which now only heals you to a maximum of 50% of your max hp.)

Metamagic (posted in feats, but putting it here too for completeness)
    Metamagics stack only with respect to the original spell, not with respect to eachother.
    For example:
    • A Twinned Maximized Disintegrate creates two rays, one of which is maximized.
    • Occular Spell does not circumvent the “personal/fixed range” clause of Persistent Metamagic.
    • Using Born of Three Thunders does not make a spell a legal target for use with Explosive Spell.

Divination spells may not be the target of offensively oriented Metamagics, such as Metamagics that deal damage or drain levels.
    Stacking reducers are fine, just don't go too crazy with them.

Spoiler: Changes to Magic and Psionics
    Show

Spoiler: Magic
    Show

Abjuration
    • Disjunction suppresses magic items that fail their will save for 5 minutes. If an item has a limited amount of charges per day (or shorter period), all charges are expended (so set at 0) for that day.
      Disjunction still strips off all temporary magical effects on the target without any check. Contingencies (even crafted) are stripped. Non-temporary magical or psionic effects, such as permanencied spells or psionic circuitry will be usable after 5 minutes (though in the case of psionic circuitry all PP will be lost from the capacitors).
    • Mage Armor is now an Abjuration spell
    • Mind Blank - A creature under the effect of Mind Blank can opt to completely shut out all telepathy and other attempts to contact their mind.
      When a creature does so, they interact with Mindsight in the same way that a creature with the Darkstalker feat would interact with Blindsight.
      However, this renders such a creature completely unable to communicate telepathically or to either send or receive information through other mental channels such as an Arcane Eye spell, a Trickery Devotion Simulacrum or a Status spell.
      This 'firewall' persists for as long as the Mind Blank or other immunity to [Mind Affecting] persists, and may be raised or lowered at will, as a standard action. The same can be done for morale effects, but this too works both ways and renders a character vulnerable to demoralization and fear effects.

Conjuration
    • Body Outside Body: On top of the limitations already in place, clones cannot use any Su abilities, SLAs, PLAs, manifesting, maneuvers, soul binding, infusions, invocations, shadowcasting or truespeaking. Incarnum is an exception to this ruling, and may be used by your clones, but you split your essentia between yourself and your clones. You may only have one instance of this spell active at any given time.
    • Gate has its calling function and xp cost removed.
    • Plane shift - Work a little differently in this campaign. This spell does still have a function, but it lets you get into or out of pocket dimensions (you'll mostly find these in ruins).
    • Planar binding/ally – Spell can only be cast near planar rifts, which are notoriously unstable. Planar binding is risky business and is usually not attempted without a crew of some sort to safeguard the summoning circle.
    • Phantom Stag - Now has a casting time of three full rounds, up from 1 round.
    • Phantom Steed - Now has a casting time of three full rounds, down from 10 minutes.
    • (Greater) Teleport only works along ley-lines. I'll add more details to this later, but here is the short of it: You can teleport along 'highways' on the world map. When traveling upstream, the maximum distance traveled is halved. Also, ley-lines can be warded, forcing travelers to exit the line and travel physically beyond the ward.
    • Teleportation Circle can be dispelled both at the entry point and the exit point.

Divination
    • Detect Magic, (Greater) Arcane Sight - Cannot detect illusions unless you beat the save first.
    • I reserve the right to not disclose everything (within reason) when you use a spell of the "please spill the entire plot" variety. I won't do this lightly, though.

Evocation:
    • Holy Word and similar spells like Blasphemy, Dictum or Word of Chaos key off your character level or your caster level, whichever is lower.
    • Miracle is not available to PCs except for exceptional situation involving quests and the like. This ban includes things like shadow emulations, Su abilities and items. For clerics with the luck domain, Miracle is replaced by Foresight.

Illusion
    • Shadow Conjuration/Evocation/Shades - Quasireality caps at 120%
    • Simulacrum is limited to one at a time. If a Simulacrum attempts to cast Simulacrum or similar spells such as Ice Assassin, it is immediately destroyed. A Simulacrum can have no more HD than your character level.

Necromancy
    • Astral Projection: While using Astral Projection, the magic of your items follows you around. The gear you leave behind becomes mundane for the duration of the spell.
    • Death Watch has its [evil] tag removed

Transmutation
    • Fabricate now has a duration of 1 round/level, is SR: yes and allows a will save if used on attended items.
    • Glibness is now an immediate action with a duration of one round. The somatic component is removed.
    • Polymorph Any Object - is generally not available to PCs except for exceptional situations involving quests and the like.
    • Shapechange - Is allowed, but I reserve the right to veto (Su) abilities that I think are too powerful.

Universal
    • Wish is not available to PCs except for exceptional situation involving quests and the like. This includes things like using bound creatures or items.

Spoiler: Psionics
    Show

As far as I'm concerned recharge tricks fall into the category of infinite loops. I'm not even going to try to fix them. Just do us both a favor and don't use them.

Where XPH and CP conflict, always go with XPH.

• Metamorphosis, Greater - See shapechange. Caps at 25 HD.
    • Synchronicity – Allows you to ready the standard action it consumed only. If a manifested synchronicity did not consume a standard action, it is wasted. To translate: this means that twinned or linked Synchronicities are wasted. It also means that in situations like a combo with Schism, you couldn't use synchronicity with your second mind to ready for your normal mind. My issue with synchronicity is that it's too good for its level and PP cost. Schism, anticipatory strike, and linked power hustle are all still on the table.
    • Time Hop, Mass After exiting the Mass Time Hop, the subject of the spell can't take any actions until its next turn.

Class-related fixes and bans
    You can only shadow pounce once per full cycle of initiative
    Divine impetus can grant a maximum of one extra swift action per full cycle of initiative.
    Every class with Taint in the name is banned.
    Any class that deals precision damage gains Penetrating Strike (DSc p. 13) as a class feature when they take their 3rd class level in that class.

Hey all, and welcome!

I'll try to get the opening post up tomorrow, but I expect the first week to move a little slow because of Christmas.

For now, please feel free to say hi to each other and to pick a speech color.

Players:
    Aegis013 with Artemisia
    AmberVael with Zoisite
    Anomander with Alphonse
    FearlessGnome with Suzette
    Paralynx with Simric
    Thokk_Smash with Ewan
    Last edited by Tyrann; 2019-12-23 at 07:31 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Hunters of the World Scar OOC

Thank you for including me! I'm really looking forward to this game, and would prefer Fire Brick red as a speech color. I've been imagining his draconic ancestor Nar'Hafaz as a cunning and cruel Red Dragon, and that color fits (but don't worry, Simric is nothing like that!)

Relinking Simric's Sheet for convenience.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I think I'd like Royal Blue for Zoisite's speech color.
    Character Sheet, Background.

4. - Top - End - #4

Zombie

And a link to the IC thread.

5. - Top - End - #5

Wee!

With blue taken, Suzette shall have to default to Fey green. I am very much in favour of taking it a little bit slowly over Christmas, but I look forward to a great campaign together!

Suzette's sheet is here, and you can find her background at the bottom of the Other Notes section. For combat, she's mostly melee, but she'll pick up some utility as we level and can heal if needed.
    Last edited by FearlessGnome; 2019-12-23 at 08:53 PM.
    Throw the dice high.

6. - Top - End - #6

PirateGuy

I haven't seen Ewan's sheet yet, but it seems like we might be lacking in the trapping department. Might be something to look into compensating for before we leave Hirane, if we can find a way to do so.

One thing worth noting in case item damage comes up, due to the Creation sphere Simric can magically take care of any broken or damaged (non-magical) gear. At least, I'm assuming it wouldn't work for magical items (that seems a bit too easy).

Spoiler: Rolling some dice for the IC thread:
    Show

Knowledge Arcana (1d20+1)[20] (limited to DC 10)
    Knowledge Nobility (1d20+8)[10]
    Profession (Noble) (1d20+10)[25]
    Spot (1d20+14)[27]

7. - Top - End - #7

Anomander, with Alphonse Tellesade here. Seriously, I don't typically use assonance with my characters and username.

I will grab some bold, dark blue for my character's voice. I'm on my phone atm.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2072112
    Last edited by Anomander; 2019-12-27 at 01:19 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

So one of the things I'm trying to do with Zoisite is give minor coverage to useful utility and skill options via her conjured companions. If Tyrann doesn't mind, I'd be happy to adjust them better cover points like Disable Device or other areas.
    Right now I've got a healer (because more healing options rarely go wrong), a scout (the nice thing about scout companions is that if they're caught and killed, they'll just reform later), and a crafter (who has some ability with disable device already, but I could improve on that and maybe add it to the scout). My crafter also currently uses the Creation sphere, so it might be nice to rework that companion to avoid overlap with Simric.

Also, some rolls for the IC, to help me write up my post:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+4)[21]
    Knowledge (Nobility): (1d20+10)[27]
    Spot: (1d20+14)[29]

Edit: my post assumes that lord is the proper honorific for Henry, basing it off the idea that lord is a nonspecific courtesy title offered to the sons and daughters of nobility who aren't quite in a position to claim a full title for themselves yet. But, this isn't England, so if something else would be appropriate I'll edit to use that instead.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2019-12-24 at 01:51 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hello, all! Excited to be playing with y'all

Here is Ewan Bolshev. I'll take purple for his speech color. He's a buffer via both Inspire Courage and Marshal Auras, and can be a good face. I haven't built a 3.5 character in some time, so the optimization may be lacking. If anyone has suggestions for improvement, please let me know :)

Spoiler: IC rolls to save on posts
    Show
    Knowlege (Arcana) DC 10: (1d20+9)[17]
    Knowledge (Nobility): (1d20+9)[16]
    Knowledge (Local): (1d20+5)[8]
    Spot DC 10: (1d20+4)[20]
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

10. - Top - End - #10

Hey, I am finally not in a car or at a family dinner! Woot!

So, some knowledge rolls for the IC:
    Knowledge Arcana: (1d20+8)[11]
    Knowledge Nobility: (1d20+7)[16]
    Knowledge Local: (1d20+5)[7]
    Spot: (1d20+3)[13]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Apologies for my delay in joining. The holidays really do get hectic.

Artemisia will speak in "Bold black" and always with quotation marks when speaking out loud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sorry for my delay in posting; been a hectic holiday season ^_^; I should be able to post tomorrow.
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

13. - Top - End - #13

Zombie

If you have no questions IC, please either post here, or post something like 'X observes quietly'.

That way I'll know I can advance the story.

If you want to do any last minute shopping, you can. Otherwise your expedition is scheduled to leave Hirane's gates at dawn.

Sorry it's a bit railroad-y for now. It'll become more open world after this first mission.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

No need to apologize, I don't consider this rail-roady at all. Giving us an objective to accomplish is something that is extremely important in the early start of a game, especially a PbP given the pacing limitations.

Rail-roady would mean something very different to me, like if it turns out we had a way to bore a tunnel all the way there and suddenly that ability is gone because it wasn't accounted for and all the encounters were planned for above ground on the road. That would be rail-roady.

And this is a very interesting opening objective with a lot of nuance put to it. All kinds of things could be behind the undead pull and the weapon, so it'll be interesting to find out what's happening there. So far, it's pretty awesome.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-30 at 08:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

PirateGuy

Simric was going to ask about maps as well, but since Artemisia already has, he will just observe, taking note of any water sources near where the ship is thought to have crashed.

Also, I'm sorry if this was posted and I missed it, but I had a question about the Scar in general: is it magically hostile to all life (no plants or small animals, possibly all water is corrupted) or is it just packed to the brim with hungry undead (so trees, squirrels, etc. can still be found)?

EDIT: So, I don't know that any of us have any tracking ability to find where any survivors of the crash went (assuming they were not taken to the fortress by nefarious forces). Should we maybe buy a dog to track via scent? I think at least Artemisia has Handle Animal.
    Last edited by Paralynx; 2019-12-31 at 09:22 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Unless other means of travel are readily available, dogs for tracking and horses for outrunning undead hordes are probably a good idea. I don't have enough gold for both a horse and a dog that won't flee at the first sign of danger though.

17. - Top - End - #17

PirateGuy

I can spring for a guard dog to track (assuming we can find one who was taught that trick, which seems likely), but I don't have the skill to make use of it. If you're willing to help with that part, I'll do some last minute shopping for a dog and some food for him/her.

No horse for Simric, but I think he's fast enough to be ok around the zambies,

18. - Top - End - #18

Zombie

The scar is magically hostile to all life.
    There aren't any mechanical consequences, except that you don't regain hp from a rest if you are in direct contact with the ground (sleeping on a blanket works just fine to circumvent that problem).

But there isn't any plant life, and therefor no wildlife except for very nasty semi undead bugs that feed on zombies.

Undead heal in the scar, at the same rate anything living normally would.

Map will be made this weekend.

Horses, dogs and mules are all for sale, but keep in mind that it might be hard to keep horses or mules safe while you're dungeon delving.

Edit: also, after this weekend I'd like to pick up the pace a bit. Should be the end of the holidays by then.
    So questions and shopping can be posted until Monday, after that we're rushing you guys out of the gates and into the scar.
    Last edited by Tyrann; 2020-01-03 at 06:42 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm torn between using the gold Artemisia has to purchase a Riding Dog trained for Hunting, or two light horses.

The dog or the two horses cost the same and have different upsides and downsides.

On the dog:
    It would be able track using Scent, it would need a sample of the scent of those it's trying to find. Artemisia can manipulate it with Handle Animal, and it can potentially help out in a fight.

If it happens to die, Artemisia may be able to animate it as a perfectly obedient necrocarnum zombie minion depending on how it dies, giving it two lives.

On horses:
    Horses probably will die if tied up and left alone in the Scar while we're in the fortress ruins, but I think we could still get a lot of mileage (pun intended since we'd be traveling on them) out of having some.

They'd still be useful just to get us to our destination while providing greater ability to outmaneuver undead in the Scar, meaning we keep more of our resources for who or whatever is in there. Plus, they'll help us evade if we're targeted by that powerful weapon.

We don't have to worry about two of them dying because they're left alone in the Scar because Artemisia would kill and turn two of them into perfectly obedient necrocarnum zombie minions, if they're sufficiently in one piece, once we reach the fortress. We can bring them in as disposable minions. Their attacks are lackluster, but two large 19 hp mobile barricade with reasonable AC could be useful for battlefield control, cover, distraction, trap detection, or you name it. If they aren't destroyed, they'll still be effective mounts on our trip back.

I'm open to thoughts and suggestions if anybody wants to chime in.
    Or if someone is willing to part with 35gp I can bring one dog and one horse.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-01-03 at 03:55 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

PirateGuy

I have 33 gp, which should be enough for the dog and some food for him. I'm working off the assumption that a hunting dog (or a guard dog with the 'track' trick) is more like the Guard Dog than Riding Dog.

Edit: Since the deadline is here, assume Simric uses the downtime before departure to buy a Guard Dog with the Track trick, if available, and 14 days of food for 26.5 GP. The price I could find for feed was 5 cp for 10 pounds for a day. This seems fine for a horse or donkey but a bit excessive for a 90 lb dog. Would you be ok with keeping the price but revising the weight to 3 lbs of food per day?
    Last edited by Paralynx; 2020-01-06 at 08:25 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

If you're bringing a tracking dog, I'll bring two horses.

I was mainly thinking the riding dog because it would be a better combatant.

I'll pay 180gp for two light horses and a riding saddle, but Artemisia isn't going to bother bringing them feed. If they give out on the way she'll just turn them into zombies.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-01-06 at 09:25 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Zombie

If you all continue straight to the bridge, please all roll a knowledge history and/or a knowledge arcana check, if you have ranks in them.

23. - Top - End - #23

PirateGuy

I vote in favor of avoiding the side passages and continuing on.

Knowledge (history): (1d20+8)[13]

24. - Top - End - #24

Knowledge Arcana : (1d20+8)[11]

25. - Top - End - #25

Zombie

Alas, those rolls won't get you anything.

Map for the bridge is up.

No real need to roll religion for the larger zombies.
    The ones with pustles obviously ooze acid and will probably have some nasty acid attacks.
    The ones with meat hooks obviously throw meat hooks.

The smaller zombies look like the 1-2 HD kind.
    Last edited by Tyrann; 2020-01-07 at 04:34 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I took a peek at the bridge map.
    We're contending with approximately 50 enemies on this bridge. If they're attracted by sight, sound, or really anything it's going to be a grueling battle as soon as we make the 5ft drop.

Anybody have any ideas on how we might thin them out?

I could zombify one of our horses and see if I can get it to lead a bunch of them off the bridge, but there's no guarantee of success, since they may ignore another zombie.

I can probably mow down the 1-2 HD zombies safely between my Astral Vambrace giving DR 6/magic and Martial Spirit providing healing, but we can't count on Crusader Strike working because I'm the same alignment as mindless zombies, and the meat hook zombies and the acid zombies in particular could pose a real threat to Artemisia.

27. - Top - End - #27

PirateGuy

Well, in the realm of the safe-and-effective-but-kind-of-boring solutions, Simric could just maintain his distance and snipe them without jumping down, treating the climb up onto our ledge as a chokepoint for any that make it that far.

I only have one legendary talent with Simric, but it's one that gives him unlimited use of any nonmagical ammunition if he starts the fight with 10+ units of it.

28. - Top - End - #28

I like safe and boring. Alphonse can provide good defense if they manage to close in.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrann View Post
    Alas, those rolls won't get you anything.

Map for the bridge is up.

No real need to roll religion for the larger zombies.
    The ones with pustles obviously ooze acid and will probably have some nasty acid attacks.
    The ones with meat hooks obviously throw meat hooks.

The smaller zombies look like the 1-2 HD kind.
    We've been informed that some of the enemies definitely have ranged attacks. If we engage via sniping, we'll still be in for a likely grueling battle.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of the meat hook zombies has a chain on its meat hook to try to drag a victim to it. If that happens that could be spectacularly bad for us.

It might be best to just move as a group and try to kill anything that gets close to us quickly, but I'm not sure what else we might be able to do as a group.

30. - Top - End - #30

PirateGuy

I'm just worried about losing Buddy and the horses to haste here (ok, mostly Buddy). If you think you can keep them safe and moving while we deal with the zomboes, Simric is definitely up for some mayhem.

Edit: Oof. Just checked on some of our teammates. No activity from Amber since the 29th, or Fearless since the 27th.
    Last edited by Paralynx; 2020-01-09 at 11:47 AM.