Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Crimson Echo OOC

You are welcome to bite him, it will give Miz some interesting RP but she likely won't enjoy the experience (feel free to give me some Fort saves ahead of time to see just how unpleasant of an experience it is).
    Taking a whole vial of Shudder via following the directions will likely cause far more serious complications (although more likely to result in someone waking up covered in blood in a bad situation than "bang, you're an NPC now").

That all being said, generally I will not arbitrarily kill/NPC your character if they do something unwise.
    I won't let them off nearly that easily.

That also being said, there will be consequences for any and all of your actions.
    If you are wise and doing "good" (from the sense of what a reasonable person would do), those consequences will be largely positive, minus any "complications" (see Lamm getting on a boat) that are intended to continue the story and give you a new problem to wrestle with.
    If you do something arbitrary and "stupid", like bitchslap the queen and call her a whore to her face, your character will likely regret having ever been born.
    Because that's probably the logical consequence to doing something rash like insult royalty to their face.
    Of course, I will also kill characters if the logical conclusion is death - drinking deadly poison is still bad for your health, kids!
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre View Post
    If you do something arbitrary and "stupid", like bitchslap the queen and call her a whore to her face, your character will likely regret having ever been born.
    What if we send her on a shame walk through town? It's not like she'd just blow us up, right?
    = ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Let me put it this way: you characters definitely wouldn't die immediately if they did that.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

My general plan for the next few rounds is to try to go upstairs and start making sure the sleeping/unconscious people don't have any weapons available to them, and getting the kids ready to go. Not sure what we plan to do with the remaining people upstairs (well, I assume they're ending up dead, but I'm not ready to go there yet); finding some rope would be good too.

I'd very much like to do that within sight of a window to see down to the Brendan area if possible.
    Currently DMing: Ruins of Azlant IC OOC

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Update posted!

6. - Top - End - #366
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm not exactly clear on where in the city Dalen's shop and Aliani's home are. Whichever is closer to the fishery is probably the better destination. If some individuals want to stay behind and tie up loose ends at the fishery while the rest take the cart away, that could work. The sleep spells only last 3 minutes though. Total combat rounds have been less than 1 minute, and I don't think we've spent more than 1 minute out of combat moving about, so we should still have one more minute before anyone wakes up.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

Iím on phone so canít post a map, but my house is a few blocks east of the amphitheater, which is on the southwest part of town.

It occurs to me that the theater itself would be a fine place to hide some ill-gotten booty, what with the catacombs underneath.

Also, I look forward to being asked what gods I have in mind. :P

And yes I figure we have a minute to either let the sleeping ones wake up or, well, not. There are a couple unconscious ones as well, who have rather different problems.

Edit to add: now at computer. Here's what I think is about right:

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    We are roughly, I think, somewhere in the yellow circle? Possibly a bit to the northeast of that.

My home is in the blue circle to the southwest.

Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2018-06-18 at 03:33 PM.

8. - Top - End - #368

Hopefully Aliani is okay with my second effort.

As a group: Any ideas in general on where we can take them? My place is a no-go. I dunno if we can stuff 12 kids into one apartment. We might have better luck finding a cheap inn or something.
    = ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean, Iíve got a decent sized 2 bedroom. It ainít the Holiday Inn, but for a night it will do.

Iíd also be okay with knocking on temple doors if necessary, though that would necessitate splitting up... showing up with a wagon of stolen booty tends to put a damper on negotiations.

Also, amusingly, Silas whiffed on that try, but aliani wonít hold that against him.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2018-06-18 at 04:56 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Dwarf in the Playground

Suppose I should gave proposed this first but I wanted to take Yargin along since he is more likely to know about Lamm's plans then anyone else there, I don't know if that's pushing it though what with everything else we're juggling.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, maybe splitting up isn't the worst idea ever. (D&D player scars scream "nooooooooo, don't split up the party you fool!")

I'll also mention, though I'm not super in favor of it, that we know of an abandoned shop quite close by that some fortune teller lady has. That might be an okay spot to stash some ill-gotten gains for a short period of time, and it's close.

12. - Top - End - #372

Depending on Inspectre, we can probably do everything at once.

Park the cart a block over from wherever we want to send the kids (unless we're dropping them off at Aliani's place). Silas can stand a ways back while Aliani delivers the kids. Miz and Dalen can watch the cart. After that, we can head over to Zellara. If you guys want, we can have Dalen deliver the kids instead, or alongside Aliani.

We may have to stash the goods elsewhere if the fortune teller isn't, y'know, gone. We didn't exactly fulfill her wish just yet.
    = ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, so first, the city *is* rather dangerous at this exact moment.
    It's not "wandering around in monster-infested ruins" dangerous, but small groups of people are likely to get the **** mugged out of them on this night.
    You are welcome to split up if you wish - you are third level and except for spells are in decently good shape, so you can probably defend yourselves and run from anything you can't deal with, but it *will* be a risk.

Next, using Aliani's map, his home is obviously the blue dot near the southwest corner of Midland, which is the District that you are currently on.
    Stelio actually was pretty close to where your current location is - if you look at the yellow circle, you'll see the words "West Dock" in italicized white.
    The Old Fishery - your current location is around the "k" of "West Dock".

From closest to farthest:
    • Zellara's Home - Around where the "W" is in "West Dock". By far the closest location, but also probably the smallest home.
    • Dalen's Shop - I assume he set himself up near the main business district of Korvosa, which means near the Goldmarket. He couldn't quite get inside the Goldmarket proper - too many permits and too much rent - but he got as close as he could, which I deem puts him somewhere near the word "Midland" about halfway between the fishery and Aliani's house. It's a small two-story house, most of which is a workshop and small upper bedroom. It would be rather crowded here, and Dalen's assistant Greg who is minding the shop may ask uncomfortable questions about where all these orphans, the tied-up unconscious guy, and all this stolen merchandise came from.
    • Citadel Volyshenek - As listed on the map a little south of Zellara's house, Citadel Volyshenek is the headquarters of Korvosa's city guard. While probably not the best place to take a criminal and a bunch of "confiscated" property, Dalen does know the Field Marshall, and it *will* be one of the safest places in Korvosa on this night.
    • Aliani's Home - A nice two-story house, while it will be a little cramped the children are used to relatively cramped living conditions - you should have enough room to set them up in the downstairs area. People are also used to Aliani being eccentric, so no questions will be asked about a cart showing up in the middle of the night loaded with stuff.
    • Silas's House - It's located in South Shore, which is basically the noble and moneyed-gentry district of the city. The district does employ private guards, and is likely to be locked down tight during the riots tonight. Difficult to get in unnoticed with all of your kids and stuff, but it will be very safe once you do get in.
    • Temple of Sarenrae/Asmodeus - Both temples to Sarenrae and Asmodeus are up the hill from Aliani's, a short distance away from the Ampitheater (Sarenrae) and farther north but in the same district of "The Heights"
    • Miz's Hovel - My best guess for where this place would be under the streets near to Old Korvosa - perhaps not on the island itself, but up around the northern point of the city. It is not safe at all!

Also as a note, there's plenty of trouble you can go looking for if you want to find some. I'll probably post a list of points of interest/violence nearby as you travel through the city, which you can ignore or intervene at your choice.

14. - Top - End - #374

My thoughts:

1. Citadel Volyshenek - Park a bit away, and have Dalen & Aliani drop off the kids. Could work out fine.
    2. Aliani's Home - It's close-by.
    3. Temple of Sarenrae/Asmodeus - A bit far, but this one might be okay.
    4. Silas's House - Silas isn't certain his house is safe since the last time he was there (and he isn't fond of sticky fingers). This is a back-up.

I skipped the ones I thought were the least ideal. Once the kids are taken care of, we can head over to Madame Zellara - maybe doing something on the way, such as stashing the goods or dealing with ruffians/looters. I dunno. We'll have to interrogate Yargin at some point, so maybe finding a place to do that should be on the list as well.
    Last edited by PiccadillyPi; 2018-06-19 at 02:44 AM.
    = ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

As a note on the city's organization, the city guard are the police, and the backbone of the military in times of war.
    The Sable Marines are basically like SWAT/military special forces, operating under a separate command structure.
    And the Hellknights are basically a private military company like Blackwater, with *all* that entails, that can be hired by important citizenry to do whatever. They also have a tendency to stick their nose into everyone's business to ensure "the law" is upheld, so if they got their way they would basically be like the Judges from Judge Dredd - wandering madmen who *ARE* "The Law"!

16. - Top - End - #376

All very interesting events worth investigating. In terms of priorities

1) With regards to our current haul, we can drop off the goods at Dalen's shop then take the rest to Citadel Volyshenek. Dalen's got several scrolls of Silent Image if we need to cover ourselves while we unload or move. Any other actions we take should not interfere with our primary objectives here.

2) Saving a sable marine seems like a good course of action (Dalen is mostly thinking about it from a self-serving perspective of ingratiating himself with the sable marines; true neutral and all that) but he doesn't really have anything that will help in this situation. Best he can do is expend his scroll of mount as a distraction for the sharks, which won't do much more than buy us some time.

3) The Lamm-loving mob is interesting, and Dalen would definitely be keen on investigating to learn more.

4) The house fire doesn't concern Dalen; he doesn't recognize the boat or have any particular reason to believe it's significant above the other events. From the GM post it seems Silas would have more context, so he'll need to communicate it for Dalen to give it any weight.
    Last edited by Darvin; 2018-06-19 at 12:55 PM.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Aliani concurs with 2 through 4, albeit for different reasons in the first case :). Iíve got my own typically over dramatic way of hopefully causing a distraction, though it probably wonít be all that effective. I do have a Cause Fear handy to scare people from a predator, but itís not clear just how close to shore this is.

The first is a good plan ó drop off the stuff, lock the door, and then probably bunk at Casa De Rose.

Edit: except for the Citadel part. You out of your mind? :)
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2018-06-19 at 01:17 PM.

18. - Top - End - #378

I'll post later tonight if anyone replies to Silas' desperation.

Miz has a swim speed of 30 ft at the moment due to her mutagen. She's wearing medium armor, so I guess 20 ft.
    Last edited by PiccadillyPi; 2018-06-19 at 04:38 PM.
    = ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

19. - Top - End - #379

Dalen isn't going to try to stop you. I'll probably wait for Steveodore to post regarding the sable marine, since Dalen is providing minimal support at best in the matter. I've already given my OOC priorities.

20. - Top - End - #380

I won't speak for Steveodore, but my understanding of Miz is that she's unlikely to save the man in the water without a nudge by one of us.
    Last edited by PiccadillyPi; 2018-06-19 at 05:47 PM.
    = ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, screw it, I've got a plan, of sorts.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

The marine is about 40' out - well within reach of a 50' length of rope with a noose at the end for him to loop about himself so you can pull him in.
    Perception DC 15 check to find another 50' length of rope which you can grab to throw out to him if that's how you want to handle things.

I imagine with a 20' swim speed Miz can swim out and reach him in a single round of swimming.
    Pulling him in will require strength checks to do it fast enough to keep him out of reach of the sharks.
    Assuming no interference, the sharks are about 3 rounds away from catching the marine, who is clearly having difficulty even keeping afloat between his armor and some sort of injury to his right side/shoulder/arm.

The Lamm-loving rabblerousers are about 30 seconds away at a sedate walking pace from the Fishery.

The burning residence boat is a little less than 1,000 feet down the docks from the Fishery, or a little more than 1 minute of running towards it at about 20' move speed.
    At 30' move speed, you can probably get there in about 42 seconds.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

I won't be making that perception check; hopefully someone else will pick up the slack. Maybe even one of our little heroes-to-be will know where some is... especially since we did just grab some to tie up Yargin.

I'm going to be busy doing something incredibly stupid. Sharks like blood, right?

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

Some basic information on Korvosa, which will be posted on the OOC first page under additional information for future reference if needed!
    This is basic DC 10 Knowledge Local stuff, that every citizen of Korvosa is likely to be aware of either due to it being current events or well-known Korvosan politics.

Spoiler: Korvosa Does Not Suffer Tyrants
    Show

While the city of Korvosa does have a monarch, his/her authority is far from absolute.
    Much of the governance is actually conducted by the Council of Noble Houses, the Seneschal, and the Arbiters.
    The city's sovereign, of course, does still wield considerable influence, and can propose and enact various policies and laws - but only if the Council of Nobles allows it.
    Without support, the crown's authority is rather limited as they have only their personal finances and the often small royal treasury to support their projects.
    They have few means to enforce their will as well, as their personal guard is often tiny, with most of their protection coming from the city guard.

The Sable Marines do not report to the monarch, but rather the Seneschal, who has the authority to officially depose the monarch and remove him/her from power.
    The Sable Marines will then forcibly remove the monarch from power if necessary, and it is common knowledge that the Sable Marines' Commandant has a Bolt of Slaying for that purpose, passed down through the generations from the very first commander of the Sable Marines, Waydon Endrin, who in turn received the bolt from Field Marshall Jakthion Korvosa, the first governor and unofficial founder of Korvosa itself.
    Thus far, the seneschal has not needed to enact this right, and the Sable Marines have drifted from an enforcement mechanism against the monarch to a highly mobile force for special tasks and assignments, whatever the city requires of it.

Spoiler: Why Korvosa Doesn't Like Ileosa
    Show

While Queen Ileosa has been dubbed the Whore Queen by the mocking rabble among Korvosa's citizens, there doesn't seem to be any actual justification for it.
    It is true that Ileosa is a third of Eodred's age, being in her early twenties to Eodred's mid-sixties, but that's not out of line for Eodred who is an infamous womanizer who had an entire royal harem of young women until just prior to his marriage to Ileosa.
    While there are plenty of wild rumors to suggest the idea that Ileosa was having affairs with everyone from her personal bodyguard, Sabrina Merrin, to Field Marshall Cressida Kroft, to even the seneschal Neolandus no one has any actual proof that she is anything except a devoted wife to King Eodred.
    That being said, mockery of royalty is a common pass time in lower class bars, with Eodred being dubbed the Stirge King for his tightfisted fiscal policies, and even his beloved mother Queen Domina being dubbed the Infernal Queen who took literal devils into her bed.

Despite her moniker, it is not Ileosa's supposedly loose morals that have turned most of Korvosa against her, nor even anything that she has done personally.
    Rather it is the effect that she has had on King Eodred, and the change in his policies over the past two years of marriage, that have earned Korvosa's ire.

The ruler before King Eodred was his mother, Queen Domina, who was beloved in much of Korvosa for a number of reasons. First, she came from the Cheliax-branch of House Arabasti, revitalizing a Great Noble House within Korvosa that had been in the city since its founding but was slowly dying out. Second, she implemented a great number of public works projects, employing much of the city's downtrodden masses with construction job (and greatly padding the pockets of the city's corrupt in the process). Third, she instituted a number of trade deals, including several important ones with Cheliax itself, allowing wealth to flow into the city, much of which was channeled into her public works projects (and again into the pockets of the city's corrupt). Fourth, she brought the Order of the Nail Hellknights with her from Cheliax, which although were not very well liked among the populace for understandable reasons, they were nonetheless invaluable during the last war with the city of Kaer Maga to Korvosa's north, which was a long-standing rival city state. This last war saw the forces of Kaer Maga pushed all the way back to the Storval Plateau that the city itself rests on until the Kaer Magans finally sued for peace. Korvosa maintained control of all of the hamlets and villages in the fertile plains beneath the plateau, representing a considerable increase in its sphere of influence.

While King Eodred's reign has not been nearly as spectacular, Korvosa certainly appreciated a smooth transition of power for once after Queen Domina died suddenly in a fire within the palace.
    Generally, the city's monarch has died suddenly, often via assassination, and prior to Domina they had never left a heir behind to carry on their line, thus prompting a power struggle among the noble houses for the throne.
    This is the so-called "curse" of Korvosa's Crimson Throne.
    While Eodred was born in Cheliax prior to Domina becoming Korvosa's queen, the city was nonetheless happy to have a child for once to inherit the throne, and his transition to power was rather swift and smooth compared to the usual months of political maneuvering and sometimes open warfare between noble houses to determine who got to sit next on the Crimson Throne.

King Eodred (technically King Eodred II for there had been a previous King Eodred Arabasti decades prior) mostly maintained his mother's trade deals and finished her public works projects, but otherwise mostly charted a "business as usual" course for the city. Perhaps his most notable accomplishment was normalizing relations with Kaer Maga, allowing trade between the two rival cities to resume after the war that Queen Domina had decisively won. Otherwise, he mostly saved up what wealth came into the royal treasury and spent it occasionally on frivolous parties and his harem (hence the name "Stirge King" for supposedly bleeding Korvosa dry to feed his habits). Still, it's believed that the royal treasury is the largest it has ever been thanks to his stingy management. The one downside of his even-handed rule, perhaps, is that the corruption that blossomed under Domina's massive influx of money ossified into an entire structure of corruption from the petty thieves up through the city guard and into the coffers of the Noble Houses.

This all changed around two years ago, shortly after Ileosa and Eodred were wed.
    Instead of his normal "do nothing, get paid, go have fun" policy on managing Korvosa, Eodred started a number of new policies, many of which were unpopular with one portion of the city or another.
    It probably didn't help that a number of these policies were ultimately disastrous.
    Given his previous couple decades of behavior, it wasn't hard to figure out what had changed, and who was to blame for this sudden shift in policy.

• A vice tax was established, allowing gambling, prostitution, and recreational drugs to all be perfectly legal within the city, but only so long as the supplier paid a regular monthly vice tax to the city. This was a fairly heavy tax, which ultimately had the effect of forcing the providers of such services to either become outright criminals (like Gaedren Lamm) or consolidate into several large organizations that had enough combined income to pay the tax jointly.
    • A group known as the Cerulean Society was recognized as the "official" thieves guild of Korvosa, and deals were worked out such that members of the Society were given lesser punishments for non-violent crime (such as thievery). This quickly had the effect of putting most non-Cerulean Society thievery groups out of business as their own members flocked to join the Society.
    • Combined with the above, putting pressure on the Varisian-focused criminal organization known as the Scarzni, which boasted of having members across the entire continent of Varisia. It's believed that save for a few small pockets of Scarzni hold-outs, the crime family has been driven out of Korvosa entirely - leaving a void for the Cerulean Society to fill.
    • The dismissal of Field Marshall Jeggare, who was widely known to be corrupt, in favor of a half-varisian half-chelish woman - Cressida Kroft, who while considered competent was the bastard daughter of a Chelish noble instead of the full-blooded member of Chelish nobility that the position had commonly been filled with. The other candidates for the position were deemed to be an even worse fit.
    • The dismissal of Cheliax Ambassador Amprei, who was commonly known to be an incompetent, self-serving idiot - but a useful idiot. In his place, Queen Ileosa's personal friend, Lady Andaisin, was elevated to the position of Chelish Ambassador.
    • Last year, amid concerns that the year's farming crop would be less than usual and a famine may break out, King Eodred purchased a considerable quantity of grain from House Jeggare's storehouse to disperse to the poor. Ultimately it turned out that the grain had gone bad, but only after a number of the poor who first went to the storehouse for the disbursement died from eating it. A further scandal broke out a month later when it was revealed that the year's crop was in fact close to normal, and someone had manipulated the reports, undoubtedly in an attempt to spike the price on food sky-high to make a profit. King Eodred vowed to launch an investigation into this matter, but it never went any further.
    • Last year, King Eodred also announced a highly controversial exploration and public works project, of building a road stretching out from the city to the East through the uninhabited and largely unexplored so-named "Bloodsworn Vale". The ultimate goal of this expedition was to create a land-based trade route through the Mindspin Mountain range, which was a range of high mountains that separated Korvosa off from Nirmathas to the east, and Nidal to the south. There are known footpaths through the mountains, that some small trade caravans will sometimes travel along, but no major route that would allow caravans of any real significance. The controversy comes from the fact that Kaer Maga still laid claim to the Bloodsworn Vale despite its location far from Kaer Maga, its only claim below the Storval Plateau, due to its strategical location - if a route could be found through the Vale into the mountains and to the north, the Storval Plateau could be circumvented and Kaer Maga attacked directly. Despite Kaer Maga's protests, a base camp was successfully established within the Vale, but shortly thereafter all contact was lost. Claims of Kaer Magan sabotage are common but unsubstantiated, and the fruitless loss of lives, equipment, and funds on the initial expedition have largely put an indefinite hold on the project.

Last edited by Inspectre; 2018-06-22 at 12:32 PM.

25. - Top - End - #385

Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre View Post
    The dismissal of Cheliax Ambassador Amprei, who was commonly known to be an incompetent, self-serving idiot - but a useful idiot. In his place, Queen Ileosa's personal friend, Lady Andaisin, was elevated to the position of Chelish Ambassador.
    That one is a pretty relevant difference between timelines. Dalen hasn't gotten to the issue of Amprei yet, so he'd have no reason to inquire about the Chelish Ambassador in this timeline and probably wouldn't know this.

Everything else there is good to know. I know bits and pieces of Golarion lore, but am by no means an expert, and I'm purposefully avoiding anything that might be a CotCT spoiler which makes it dangerous to look up anything Korvosa-related.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm quite aware of that difference - Eodred/Ileosa took care of that obnoxious twit for you this time!
    (Personally, I *really* ****ing hate that character, because he's just a random name dropped during that one task and then never, ever, again. If I could have come up with a way to have had him found guilty of treason and slowly tortured to death, I would have done it ahead of schedule. )

It might be best to not look up things on Golarion/Korvosa anyway as I have a bad tendency to play very fast and loose with the setting details.
    Of course, if you are aware of a contradiction or just want to know more in general about a topic, feel free to ask me about it!
    I'll be happy to provide more lore/juicy gossip on the city and its inhabitants, although investing in the relevant skills is also important - your characters know these details just because they're a common news thread in the same way it's the same 5-10 celebrities getting name dropped in the tabloids over and over again - at least until some new scandal results in some new faces being picked!
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2018-06-22 at 01:39 PM.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, Iím in love with this sort of stuff. I have actually read up on Korvosa a fair bit (while trying to avoid very spoilery stuff); Iíll try to not assume too much.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks alot for the city background! Especially since I was already making assumptions.

Heres two Strength checks and then another two for any following strength checks if these ones turn out awful. I'm sure there'll be complications at that point like having to avoid shark bites.

1st and 2nd
    (1d20+5)[13]
    (1d20+5)[12]

3rd
    (1d20+5)[10]

4th
    (1d20+5)[13]

Whelp I'm going to be having a terrible time!
    Last edited by Steveodore; 2018-06-23 at 01:52 AM.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

UPDATE POSTED!

Fortunately hitting the DC 15 was only necessary to get back to the pier with the marine ahead of the sharks.
    Miz still gets there, it just would have taken her too long were it not for Aliani and Dalen's efforts - yay team!

Meanwhile, Silas goes on a little boat ride . . . FROM HELL!

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

OOCly, the channeling of energy is pretty well concealed, itís not as though Iím waving my hands about and praising Jeebus or anything like that. Iím somewhat hoping itís a mystery as to where it came from, though obviously party members will notice a pattern...