Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Crimson Echo OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
    Hasn't Dalen already seen unusual healing from Aliani in the previous world? If we're talking about what I'd ordinarily roll with respect to another party member... well, I wouldn't even bother making a check at all under normal conditions.

Anyways, I'm under no rush for the "reveal" here. It will come eventually, and even if we restrict Dalen just to taking 10 it's likely Aliani will get caught once we're 5th or 6th level.
    I was about to say you're wrong, but then I realized it's not actually tied to the Perform check. Which is kind of too bad; oh well!

But, I think there were likely some wounds mysteriously closing from the imp fight and Lamm of course, but there's probably a mystery as to where that even came from.

Inspectre, that's one issue that we should probably discuss; how the Hidden Priest handles channeling energy and disguising that action. What we'd previously decided was that it needed some sort of action involving touching the holy symbol (now, I'd add "as the holy symbol may be disguised"; thanks to magic items it will turn into a necktie, button, or other similar objects, though always in some rose-like form), but would otherwise be disguised as such. I don't know if there's any additional checks to make (again, the Perform check is trivial, if you treat it like a spell ability). Let me know how you want to handle it. I am going to be a healing battery in combat, like, a lot.

edit: also, haha, let's just do this.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2018-02-28 at 05:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

So . . . *two* of the guards just barely passed Aliani's Enthrall save (hurray nat 15s), and Malder not only saw Dalen & Silas coming, heard Miz & Trinia running upstairs (hurray nat 20 Perception) but also resisted Dalen's Sleep spell (hurray nat 19).

That's . . . a really improbably high series of rolls on the part of Korvosa's finest.
    Looks like the forum dice roller has decreed that it's going to be a FIGHT!

Working on battle map now.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Did you remember to count perception penalties for distance and lighting conditions? (on a moonlit night, a typical DC modifier would be +2 from poor lighting with a further +1 for each 10 feet of distance. Hearing something through a closed door on its own is +5 to the perception DC, on top of any distance penalties).

The failed saves still means combat is inevitable, but Dalen, Silas and/or Miz/Trinia might not have been detected, which could give us the element of surprise.
    Last edited by Darvin; 2018-02-28 at 07:21 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Good points.
    Even with the +10 DC for hearing through a wall (and another +5 or so for distance), Malder still hears Trinia & Miz ascending the stairs to the second floor.
    He also sees Silas even with the penalties for distance and low-light.
    He does not see Dalen, although I'm going to rule that the Sleep was Dalen's surprise round - even so, he's still "invisible" to the guards at this point, which is fortunate for him since otherwise they'd all be shooting at the "twiddlefingers" that can instantly end this fight (if luck doesn't continue to favor them so much. ).

So, for simplicity's sake - the fight starts. It's the party's round of actions first, and then the guards, assuming any of them are still standing by the end.
    Guard #3 loses his first round of actions as he's still enthralled, and it seems unlikely that will be broken in the first round unless Aliani punches him or something.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

IC thread updated - go get 'em!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Nittery alert: Malder will need to save against the Enthrall, having entered the area of effect, assuming he got within medium spell range (IIRC, 130'). I'm pretty sure he would have. (Edit: just saw the map. Not yet, I guess, but keep it in mind for when he does come back around.)

Also, are we just handling combats in post order?
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2018-03-01 at 12:51 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

IC thread updated.
    I *think* Guard #1 can see Dalen from his updated position on the map, but if it would matter he does still have 5' of movement left which could let him get into the actual alleyway in row P, the same row Dalen is in. I don't think even with it being low-light the guard should be unable to see Dalen - at that distance it would be DC 8 and Dalen just got done casting. But of course being human he does take the 20% miss chance penalty for low-light.

I'm handling them pretty much in post order, although you're welcome to notify me if your character is specifically waiting for something. I will also try to assume your character is not a fool, and goes running into AoE effects if it's reasonable for them to wait a second.

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre View Post
    I *think* Guard #1 can see Dalen from his updated position on the map
    Yes, although Dalen has cover from that vantage.

Oh, and quick question: can I voluntarily lower the DC of my spells? It may or may not come up, but with illusion spells it's sometimes better to have something that allies can disbelieve easily.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure on the DC question!

On Dalen having cover, just so we're on the same page, Dalen is getting cover due to the corner of the house that the guard #1 is currently standing next to, right?
    From either of the guard's two southern corners I don't think he has anything blocking line of sight to any of Dalen's corners, save for the blue square in the wall - which is supposed to be a window and probably doesn't extend out into the alleyway like it does on the map - that was a drawing bad.

10. - Top - End - #130

On Dalen having cover, just so we're on the same page, Dalen is getting cover due to the corner of the house that the guard #1 is currently standing next to, right?
    From either of the guard's two southern corners I don't think he has anything blocking line of sight to any of Dalen's corners, save for the blue square in the wall - which is supposed to be a window and probably doesn't extend out into the alleyway like it does on the map - that was a drawing bad
    2 and 3 have clear sight of Dalen, no question about that.

When drawing line of effect between the guard and Dalen, the line from his lower-left (or lower-right) corner to Dalen's upper-left (or upper-right) corner passes along the border defining the building. Because it's passing through the border of the building, this line is obscured. Therefor Dalen has cover against the guard. However, the lower-left and lower-right corners of Dalen's space are exposed so the guard still has line of sight so he can definitely see Dalen.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Right, border - okay that makes sense!

12. - Top - End - #132
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oops. I just realized I wrote "H5" instead of "G4". Hard to walk through walls. I could've just done a double move action to get to H4. The run action was to avoid having to do a 5-foot step to open the door as Silas was thinking he may have to move through the house ASAP.

I was originally going to do a double move to H4, hence the mix-up.

It doesn't matter this time 'round, but I'll make a better effort to be more accurate with the grid.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh, to be honest when I was parsing Silas's last turn, I was like "why didn't he just double move?"
    Great minds think alike apparently!

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

IC thread updated!
    Looks like this combat is almost over, unless you guys decide to press your luck and fight the guards instead of just running into the night in all directions and leaving the guards completely empty-handed.

15. - Top - End - #135

Dalen will hang back and cast silent image next round to create an illusionary Trinia for the guards to chase after. Once he's sent them in the wrong direction, he'll make his own getaway. Presuming the others all manage to get out of sight, I don't think there's any actual dice-rolling necessary here (Dalen is invisible for the next 3 minutes, and illusions don't allow a save unless you actually interact with them) so unless something unexpected happens Inspectre should be able to resolve Dalen's actions in the next GM update and conclude the encounter.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

I gave general plan for the next round in my OOC comment in the IC thread. Needless to say, I don't expect an actual answer to that last question (in fact, I rather expect a crossbow bolt for my trouble).

17. - Top - End - #137

Thinking about it, I don't know if Silas knows where to go. Kendall? May want to stick close to him.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, Id said IC meet at Kendall in an hour.

19. - Top - End - #139

I had a lapse in memory. Kendall is the amphitheater. For some reason I thought it was the name of Aliani's apartment, which is not known to Silas. 'Kendall Heights Luxury Apartments' sort of thing. Anyway, let's wait and see what wonders Inspectre writes next.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

IC thread updated.
    Whatever shall you do now?

22. - Top - End - #142

To elaborate on what Dalen said in the IC thread: pretty much anything magical has a magical aura that can be detected via Detect Magic. This includes potions and extracts. The Detect Magic cantrip has virtually universal distribution across spellcasting classes, and since it's a cantrip it's also eminently spammable. If you're in a mostly non-magical environment (like a mundane city street) you'll be extremely conspicuous to anyone who is looking for magical auras, and the spell could actually backfire by drawing more attention to you. When you have the time and opportunity to go with a non-magical disguise, it really is the better option.

I'm getting the sense from the way this is going that we're going to need to address this problem. While Dalen doesn't have any means of disguising active spell effects, I can pick up the Magic Aura spell to hide the auras of magical items. However, it is something to be mindful of. Magic is very double-edged, especially at these low levels where it's less powerful and we don't have the spell slots to cover everything.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

A very valid point (of which Aliani would be slightly aware, thanks to that spectacular one rank in Kn: Arcana!), also/especially with regard to the cloak and the sleeves he enjoys so very much. He counts either on most people not being able to do that (it's not like spellcasting is terribly common, after all) or not bothering (aka sometimes the best place to hide is in plain sight).

24. - Top - End - #144

Those were my thoughts as well, which is why I didn't bother picking up Magic Aura when filling out my spellbook. However, if we're being actively looked for then all bets are off and I'll be picking up that spell on my next shopping trip.

Also, with regards to the IC thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliani
    Don't you know who I am?
    I interpreted this to mean you weren't disguised at the moment and indeed looked like Aliani Rose while you were interacting with the guards and creation the commotion on the streets. Or am I misinterpreting this?
    Last edited by Darvin; 2018-03-06 at 04:08 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

No, that's correct. That would 1) be a fairly rare occurrence for him to be out like that, but at the time he didn't think to switch while walking around with you, and 2) he makes a strong habit of entering and leaving his house disguised and dressed as "inconspicuous half elf guy" and doing most of his mundane business (grocery shopping, etc) that way -- switching between that and himself as he approaches places where he needs to be seen as himself. He's also got "personal assistant guy" to handle most of the business matters that involve him specifically.

Frankly, if I'd thought of it earlier he'd have been rather surprised to have the Saldado guy come knocking at his house knowing to look for him.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

IC thread updated with a couple more options, and challenges associated with the ideas currently put forth.
    I think once we've got Trinia settled in somewhere, we'll be able to move on to the next day! THE BIG DAY.

Also, Aliani should definitely ask Saldado how he found him - apparently the sergeant is a better investigator than he gets credit for.

As far as magic is concerned - Darvin is correct that Detect Magic would be able to pick up things like Disguise/Alter Self without further protections such as Magic Aura (which hides it) or Nondetection (which throws up basically a "404" error whenever a Detect Spell tries to scan a person - unless they manage to overcome the detection DC as described in the spell). That being said, that sort of thing would be more common as a security checkpoint rather than randomly on the street as it does require a person (who cast the spell) to peer intently at you, as it's usually fairly obvious when someone is Detecting, and it's relatively short-range (I think 60'?) There are adventurers and an entire school of magic-users in the city, so magic is not uncommon by itself, although pinging as having a (Transmutation) magical spell affecting you could be cause for further suspicion. There's generally not roving bands of guards with a wizard casting Detect Magic on passer-by though, so it's not a major concern unless you think the guard is going to launch a city-wide manhunt for Trinia (which they will . . . in a couple more days). Also as a note for the future, important people (like, say, Queen Ileosa ) will generally have Nondetection on them, as a way to block people from figuring out what protective spells they have running so would-be assassins can't figure out how to thwart them ahead of time. So detecting someone only to be "404'd" is not necessarily a signal that they're hiding something, besides that they're serious about their security. You are, of course, welcome to be suspicious about whoever you feel like for whatever reasons you wish, just wanted to point that out now in case it comes up later when Dalen is randomly scanning people.

27. - Top - End - #147

Detect Magic would be able to pick up things like Disguise/Alter Self without further protections such as Magic Aura (which hides it) or Nondetection (which throws up basically a "404" error whenever a Detect Spell tries to scan a person - unless they manage to overcome the detection DC as described in the spell).
    Actually, Magic Aura only works on magic items. It can't hide ongoing spell effects. You need Greater Magic Aura for that, which is a 4th level spell and beyond our current casting ability. Non-Detection isn't exactly great for this purpose (at least not at our level) due to its duration. That's fine for a queen with court wizards at her disposal who can recast it at regular intervals, not so good for a guy like Dalen who has to cover a 4-person party while also contributing in a more conventional sense.

28. - Top - End - #148

I think we may be a tad over-paranoid about detect magic, but I understand the concern.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it paranoia if they really are all out to get you?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

Realistically the Heights are also rife with magic auras. Nobles and students playing with illusions to change their appearances for whatever reason, everyone glimmering with magic items. I'm only going by the same line of thinking that leads to the crazy security measures around the theatre.

So even with detect magic in the Heights at least its still a case of being lost in a crowd. It should take some close scrutiny to figure things out especially with Dalen and Aliani on hand.

Also the conspirators probably have limited resources at the moment and are trying to be low key in capturing Trinia at least until word gets out about the king and they can frame things in the right way to publicly go after her. I don't know how much of this part we can put together or if this is more meta-thinking.