New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Trying to make a Monster Inc/MBT/Bloodborne feeling setting...

So this was an idea I had that I thought might be kind of fun. As you can read in the title, the idea is partially inspired by Monsters Inc, the Monster Blood Tattoo books and Bloodborne.

The concept is that the setting is technically two worlds.

One is sort of a parellel to medieval (or maybe something along the lines of the 1770s, not too sure yet) Europe, where a few greater nations are at war or have uneasy alliances with one another, yet are somewhat united by a religious group known as the Golden Order, which worships a deity known as the Golden One (not to be confused with Christianity, more like the Church of the Old Blood from Bloodborne). Because of this, all magics aside from those belonging to the clergy are outlawed and punishable by death. Artificers are tolerated but only because their experiments are deemed helpful in one way or another to spreading the teachings of the Golden Order. Furthermore, monsters are to be killed on sight as they are deemed to be a living blasphemy against the Golden One.

In this world the only living races are humans, dwarves, gnomes, halflings and goliaths. I am still not sure if I want elves to be around or to be extinct. The goliaths live to the far north and possess a strong celtic vibe and are one of the few factions constantly resisting the Golden Order (druidic magic certainly helps).

Then we have the other world, which will either take place on the moon or the ethereal plane (not too sure yet) and this is where the monsters reside and will consist of many of the already created monstrous races (like tieflings, dhampir (vampires), yuan-ti, plasmoids, etc...), who use magical doors to interact with the other world, usually scavenging it for resources. Here all forms of magic are accepted.

In this world, much of the architecture (which might be surrounded by fog if done in the ethereal plane) consisted of various buildings and blocks connected by stone walkways, tubes and wires. Maybe there is an energy source that they take from the 1st world to fuel the machines and magical devices inside their world.

My thought is that the players will actually be monsters from the monstrous realm. They have to venture to the first world scavenging items and resources while evading monster hunters and other deadly forces.

So I just thought I'd ask for some feedback on this idea as well as maybe some suggestions as well.
    Last edited by werescythe; 2022-10-19 at 07:22 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Trying to make a Monster Inc/MBT/Bloodborne feeling setting...

I went back and made a quick update that hopefully clarifies some things.
    Shy Tentacle Monster in the Playground... It's not as bad as it sounds, I swear.