New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Unholy Toughness

One thing that irks me about playing an undead character is the painful reality that they:

A. Have no buffer between functioning and dead. This makes things a bit more dangerous and frightening because even though you are made of d12's, you get no bonus to them and average out at 6.5 HP per HD. Add a generally large Level adjustment to the equation and a maximized fireball just got REALLY ugly.

B. Have myriad immunities and defences according to their type, but always seem to have one or two glaring weaknesses (daylight powerlessness sucks).

The second problem can usually be shored up with clever use of spells and items but the first....well spamming Toughness and it's improved cousin will only get you so far because of the lack of HD, Class levels and general weakness that will be caused by blowing potentially powerful feats on things like this.

Enter Unholy Toughness.

I saw this at one point and flipped, Charisma instead of Constitution to HP? Yes please! But alas it was not meant to be, this feat was no feat but a feature of the Dry Lich(Sandstorm) and as such left me mildly annoyed.

I don't want to play a Dry Lich, I want to play a ghoul or vampire, but here I am gimped for HP and looking at almost every party my group constructs thinking "nope, not this one either...."

So here we are, at the point of my unnecessarily long and boredom inspired tale. How do we make Unholy Toughness a feat? Would setting Toughness as a prerequisite be cruel enough or would a HD requirement also be in order? Obviously the Undead type would be a necessity. How do we compensate for the undead's tendency to use charisma for so many abilities in addition to this potential boost to HP?

I know it's powerful but I want it and I think it would open up an entire creature type to the people who are similarly disgusted at the thought of being dropped by one bad shot.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Unholy Toughness

Well, it really boost Lich Sorcerers, as a feat. But, overall, it's pretty fair, I think, though I'd present the feat with pre-reqs of...

Pre-reqs: Undead, Cha 15, Great Fortitude

That way, they need a high Cha to take it, and have to burn a feat on Great Fortitude, as well. Should be a helpful balance factor. It's helpful for undead, yes, but overall not as helpful as several others for spellcasters and such.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JackMage666 View Post
    Well, it really boost Lich Sorcerers, as a feat. But, overall, it's pretty fair, I think, though I'd present the feat with pre-reqs of...

Pre-reqs: Undead, Cha 15, Great Fortitude

That way, they need a high Cha to take it, and have to burn a feat on Great Fortitude, as well. Should be a helpful balance factor. It's helpful for undead, yes, but overall not as helpful as several others for spellcasters and such.
    Great Fortitude's a good feat for undead anyways, since those few annoying things that can destroy you (Undeath to Death for example) have fort saves.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    Great Fortitude's a good feat for undead anyways, since those few annoying things that can destroy you (Undeath to Death for example) have fort saves.
    Especially that one pest Disintegrate.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicKitKat View Post
    Especially that one pest Disintegrate.
    Mmm....Lasers.

I suppose, given the fact that people capable of forcing undead to make fort saves know how to do so and that it is generally a good idea, that may boost the usefulness of Great Fortitude beyond what a simple look at the number of spells capable of doing so indicates.

The feat looks good, I think I'll pitch it next time I am rolling a character. Although it requires prioritizing charisma I think the effects make that completely acceptable.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Seems like the kind of thing any given vampiric blackguard would need. In fact, I'm pretty sure I have seen this as a feat or something somewhere, because I don't have Sandstorm and have never used a dry lich, but the name seems remarkably familiar.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Seems like the kind of thing any given vampiric blackguard would need. In fact, I'm pretty sure I have seen this as a feat or something somewhere, because I don't have Sandstorm and have never used a dry lich, but the name seems remarkably familiar.
    Aye, I get the same impression. Perhaps I've just heard it referred to on these boards, but I would've thought I'd remember something like a "Dry Lich" being mentioned if it were.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The White Knight View Post
    Aye, I get the same impression. Perhaps I've just heard it referred to on these boards, but I would've thought I'd remember something like a "Dry Lich" being mentioned if it were.
    The Dry Lich isn't the only undead creature to have the Unholy Toughness special quality. It features on a number of nasty things in various non-core books.

It probably should have been included on a number of core undead, but I don't think anyone thought up the property until much later. Does anyone know if there were any creatures with Unholy Toughness in 3.0? Kinda curious if there was a concious decision to keep it off of 3.5 Liches and Vampires.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2007-08-27 at 05:33 PM.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

There's a feat in Libris Mortis that lets characters keep necrotic-reserve points every time they feed off something. They can then use these points in order to take final actions when dropped below 0hp in order to survive.

It's called Necrotic Reserve.
    Last edited by goat; 2007-08-27 at 05:56 PM. Reason: looked up the name

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

This is one of those things where if you make it a feat, EVERY undead is going to take it. Most intelligent undead get a charisma boost, which makes it incredibly worthwhile. It's not even like Power Attack, which any hard-hitting character would take; It's something EVERY undead would want. It's too powerful.

Now, putting the normal Toughness as a prerequisite feat on it makes people stop and make sure they want it that much. A sign of good balance is when you feel indecision.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't really see a problem. Turn Undead messes up low level Undead. Higher level ones face Disintegrates and Searing Lights, etc. I would expect a high level Undead to be ridiculously tough to hack apart with brute force(or spell force, etc.).
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Tome of Necromancy

This is a very good read for anyone interested in using undead or necromancy in their campaign, and addresses many common problems. Where WotC fails fans find great success.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Well, beyond home-brewing feats, you really have only a few options to increase the durability of undead critters. They would be, in no particular order, Corpsecrafter (Granted, it would require some serious debate with the DM to allow the benefits to PCs.), Toughness (Not that appealing, I know.), Improved Toughness (Better, but still falls a bit short) and taking class levels in Stalwart Sorcerer (The variant class option from Complete Mage.). Stalwart Sorcerer grants two extra hit points per level of Sorcerer, so it circumvents the undeads' constitution-challenged state. And being undead, they get d12 hit points instead of the d4. Not bad if you're the spellcasting type. If not, by RAW you're fudgesickled. More or less.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Pestlepup View Post
    And being undead, they get d12 hit points instead of the d4.
    AAAAAAAAAAA!!!! d12 HD is a feature of the Undead type, not a trait...saying that Undead get d12 instead of d4 HD for Sorcerer levels is like saying that Humans get d8 instead of d4 because they're of the Humanoid type. Advancement by Character Class is just that...Sorcerers get d4 HD, Fighters get d10 and Rogues get d6. Advancement by HD would grant d12 hit points every level, but most playble/powerful Undead advance by character class.

True, some Undead templates raise "all current and future HD" to d12 (like Lich), but most either replace racial HD (like Skeleton) or raise "all current" HD to d12 (like Necropolitan). Unless the template specifies that all future HD are d12, you're stuck with whatever class HD you take. This breeds one of the advantages of taking the Necropolitan template later than 3rd level...you get more d12 HD (e.g. a 3rd level sorcerer performs the ritual of crucimigration, loses a level and raises his 2 HD to d12's. If he continues to level up in sorcerer, all his future HD are d4. A 12th level sorcerer performs the ritual of crucimigration, loses a level and raises his 11 HD to d12's with all future HD as d4).

Sorry for the off-topic rant, but it's one of my pet peeves that people assume that all HD an Undead ever takes are d12...just look in the Monster Manual at the Mummy Lord entry for proof...
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet;

The desecrate spell.

It gives undead in the area of effect a +1 to hit, damage(?), and saves(?), and +1hp per hit die I believe, and also gives a -3 on attempts to turn undead in the area. If it is in the area of a shrine dedicated to an evil diety or somesuch, the bonuses are doubled!

Craft a portable shrine and have your cohort follow you around like an aquilafier and you'll always be near a shrine.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    AAAAAAAAAAA!!!! d12 HD is a feature of the Undead type, not a trait...saying that Undead get d12 instead of d4 HD for Sorcerer levels is like saying that Humans get d8 instead of d4 because they're of the Humanoid type. Advancement by Character Class is just that...Sorcerers get d4 HD, Fighters get d10 and Rogues get d6. Advancement by HD would grant d12 hit points every level, but most playble/powerful Undead advance by character class.

True, some Undead templates raise "all current and future HD" to d12 (like Lich), but most either replace racial HD (like Skeleton) or raise "all current" HD to d12 (like Necropolitan). Unless the template specifies that all future HD are d12, you're stuck with whatever class HD you take. This breeds one of the advantages of taking the Necropolitan template later than 3rd level...you get more d12 HD (e.g. a 3rd level sorcerer performs the ritual of crucimigration, loses a level and raises his 2 HD to d12's. If he continues to level up in sorcerer, all his future HD are d4. A 12th level sorcerer performs the ritual of crucimigration, loses a level and raises his 11 HD to d12's with all future HD as d4).

Sorry for the off-topic rant, but it's one of my pet peeves that people assume that all HD an Undead ever takes are d12...just look in the Monster Manual at the Mummy Lord entry for proof...

I've been told this no less than thirty times but I can't seem to get it into my head. Stupid liches....

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
    This is one of those things where if you make it a feat, EVERY undead is going to take it. Most intelligent undead get a charisma boost, which makes it incredibly worthwhile. It's not even like Power Attack, which any hard-hitting character would take; It's something EVERY undead would want. It's too powerful.
    I hardly think that taking a feat to somewhat compensate for a glaring and otherwise irremovable flaw in a type is too powerful. Is it a good feat? Yes it is, but it is underpowered if anything.

"Wow, you get to spend a feat so that you can gain 3(Maybe 4 or even 5 if you're a Sorcerer!) more HP per HD! Nevermind that y'know everything that's not undead gets it for free. Also, nevermind that undead don't even get d12 HD every level, so they already have about an average of 4.5, 5.5, or if they're a mage, 2.5 HP per level and they are destroyed at 0."

I guess that I just convinced myself: undead are way too powerful, you should not make this a feat ever unless the undead has to take dodge, blindfight, and great fortitude as prerequisites.

[EDIT]
    Whoops... killed your thread, sorry 'bout that.
    [/EDIT]
    Last edited by TSGames; 2007-08-28 at 11:28 PM.
    TopSecret's First Ever Two Page Tabletop Contest
    If you have any questions, want to talk about the contest entries, or you just want to hang out with cool people, visit our forums.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Aye, see, I agree with the above poster. Undead should be scary when you try to just hack them apart. Instead, they end up seeming frail, always.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post

Actually

From the improving monsters with templates section
    Hit Dice and Hit Points

Most templates do not change the number of Hit Dice a monster has, but some do. Some templates change the size of a creature’s Hit Dice (usually by changing the creature type). A few templates change previously acquired Hit Dice, and continue to change Hit Dice gained with class levels, but most templates that change Hit Dice change only the creature’s original HD and leave class Hit Dice unchanged.

If the Hit Dice entry in a template description is missing, Hit Dice and hit points do not change unless the creature’s Constitution modifier changes.

And

From the vampire template
    Hit Dice

Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d12s.

Usually templates don't change class HD, but in the case of undead templates they usually do.

Just check out the sample Vampire in the monster manual. It's 5th level fighter with 5d12
    Personal record for being attacked by ninjas: 3 attacks in one go
    Amusing history of Monsters article

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

There's still improved toughness, not great, but still another hp/lvl.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet;

The desecrate spell.

It gives undead in the area of effect a +1 to hit, damage(?), and saves(?), and +1hp per hit die I believe, and also gives a -3 on attempts to turn undead in the area. If it is in the area of a shrine dedicated to an evil diety or somesuch, the bonuses are doubled!

Craft a portable shrine and have your cohort follow you around like an aquilafier and you'll always be near a shrine.
    Descrate will not give undead extra HP for wandering into the area. That would be silly. It gives undead extra HP when they are created or summoned within an area of desecration. This up shot of this is it never says those bonuses leave. Ever.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

22. - Top - End - #22
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff of Moddingham: This thread is over a year old; please don't do thread necromancy.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex