Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default The Guild Living Campaign [D&D4e]

Hey everyone! New to the playground and thought I'd give a shout-out to anyone who might be interested in gaming with us over in The Guild Living Campaign.

General Info

The Living Guild is a community of 150 players and 20 DMs playing 4th Edition D&D on Roll20. We run games throughout the week whenever the DMs have time and/or whenever the players request a game to be run. Players start at level 5 and are given all the resources they need to make their character through an extensive mix of written FAQs, downloadable resources, an active and attentive guild chat, video walk-throughs and guides on how the make their characters.

Wait a minute, did you say 150 players? That's crazy!

While there are 150 players in the guild only 4-6 players play at any given time. Our players are all over the world from Australia to Finland, California to Cyprus. Rather than a normal 'we play every Saturday at 1pm' style of campaign, our game is one that is meant to be very laid-back. Once you have a character made you can show up and play at any game that happens to run on a day and time you are available. If you want to play twice a day, no problem. If you want to play twice a year, also no problem.

What Day/Time do you all normally play?

This is completely up to the individual DM. Games are typically scheduled between 2 days and 2 weeks in advance with occasional 'we are bored lets do something spur of the moment' style games mixed in. To give you an example of games recently played, here is are the games that have been scheduled so far for next week. All times are listed in EST. THIS IS A LIST OF EXAMPLES NOT A LIST OF WHEN GAMES ARE ALWAYS PLAYED.

Sunday: 2pm EST (Characters level 5-8) [Xei Dming]
    Monday: 1pm EST (Characters level 11-16) [Gary M Dming]
    Tuesday: 1pm EST (Characters level 6-10) [Aaron DMing]
    Wednesday: 4pm EST (Characters level 5-10) [Keledrath Dming]
    Thursday: 1PM EST (Characters level 5-10) [Saladful Dming]
    Friday: 1PM EST (Characters level 18-22) [Gary M DMing]
    Saturday: 2PM EST (Characters level 5-10) [Xei DMing)

We do run games at other times (I've run games that start as early as 8am EST or as late as 10pm EST) by request. Right now the 'mid afternoon EST' time is the golden time, but there have been games that start at 7pm EST, 10pm EST, 2am EST, 6am EST and 10am EST within the past week).

Player: What about 7am game?
    Me: Yeah we could run one of those.
    Player: I didn't say what time zone.
    Me: I am aware. For the DMs it is often difficult to pick a time and day to run. A good chunk of DM chat is people asking who might show up for what when. If you join as a player that helps organize other players into requesting a game at basically any time on nearly any day there is a very strong likelihood that you will find a willing DM. I've personally woken up to run a game at 7am in my time zone because the players requested it.

What is a "Living Campaign" and what is so good about it?
    Living Campaigns are ones where a lot of plotlines are loosely connected by a core principle of adventure wrapped in an episodic structure with a set of guidelines that allow characters to play in the games of multiple different DMs. Living Systems allow players to play under many different DMs in many different worlds and see what sort of settings/situations/areas interest them as players and as characters. While some of the adventures are single stand-alone adventures many of them lead into story arcs that go on for many different levels or even for the entire life of a PC. As such these games tend to occupy a niche between the standard campaign structure and one-shot groups.

For Players:

Everything you need to play (Books, guides, etc) will be provided for you once you join. You will never be required to show up to any particular game or be pressured into taking a turn at the helm as a DM. The only thing you need to bring with you is a willingness to read and an adventurous spirit. The guild provides a lot of resources and uses a multi-step process for getting you ready to play that is designed to produce interesting, effective and completely fleshed out characters. It is ok to not know what you are doing and we expect you to get some stuff wrong. That is all part of the plan. With over a twenty DMs and many active and experienced players we can turn anyone with a desire to learn from complete n00b into an active guild member in no time flat.

What sort of benefits do players get from all this?

The Guild allows players to have multiple characters and allows for a lot of leeway given to change out characters and builds to make sure you find something that you really want to play. Until you reach level 7 you are able to change out anything from your character at a moment's notice. If you find that there is something a little off about your character after that point there is a way to change many different things again at 11 or you can 'retire' a character in order to retain some of the experience and money you have earned and pass it onto a completely new character if you really want a complete change of gears at higher levels. Not only will you get to play in a campaign that travels to the desert world of Athas one day, fights on a lightning rail train in Eberron the next and plans a trip to the Forgotten Realms on the weekend, but you can see how different DMs use these tools (as well as custom worlds of their own) to tell interesting stories and allow you to RP in many different settings.

Since the community is so large and active we also have members that play other games. While the primary focus will always be 4E, finding a group of people who are interested in the same hobbies as you are has lead to a number of spin-off games and adventures playing everything from Pokemon to Fire Emblem, Blade and Soul to Pathfinder.

For DMs:

So you want to be a DM? Awesome! You are a hot commodity indeed (at least that's what the ladies... or gentlemen say). Sometimes being a DM can be a bit overwhelming as people expect a lot out of you. Making adventures for the game every Sunday starts off fun but sometimes becomes such a burden that you wonder why you are doing it in the first place; especially when people expect you to know every rule ever printed and be able to manage a room full of ADHD cats to boot.

One of the reasons we have so many DMs is that many of these problems are solved by running games in the Living Guild. You are under no pressure to run on a given day or time until you have the adventure ready and perfectly set-up. You also have a community of DMs always at your fingertips who will help with any problems/questions that you have before, during or after game (although the DM running the game at that time is always right, so sayeth the falling rocks). The DMs have a wealth of resources including treasure generators, gold and exp tables, hundreds of premade adventures to beg/borrow/steal from, over 1000 maps sized to fit roll20, thousands of pictures for monster inspiration as well as templates for making interesting and easy-to use monsters.

Yeah... but I literally know nothing about 4e...

That is perfectly fine. We aren't going to throw you infront of a stampede of oncoming players. Even the most veteran DM is required to spend a little time as a player in the guild to make sure the community is a good fit and to get used to the style, group and system. The DMs have over 80 years of combined 4E experince (and over 150 years of DMing experience in general) and will be there to help any starry-eyed noob into a grizzled veteran.

If all this sounds like it might be worth a shot, follow the link below to our LFG entry and post in the interested players section for an invite to the campaign. If you have other questions feel free to ask on this thread.

https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/1...iving-campaign

Since these forums have their own format for these sorts of things here are the Big 16:
    Spoiler: Big16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running? D&D4E

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be? What is the setting for the game? The players are members of 'The Guild' which sits on an interdimensional rift. Functionally this means the players can move between tables/dms/settings at will. One game might take place in the realms and the next take place on Athas with the next in Zendikar.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? Practically speaking we can take everyone, although at the moment we are probably only looking for about 20 more people maximum. People are allowed an alternative character when they start playing and are able to go up to a third character once both of their characters reach level 11 or higher. While we have a lot of players in the group, a max of 6 players plays in any one session.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? Roll 20.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? 5500 EXP, 22pt Point buy, normal advancement/racial bonuses.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? 4500gp

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? We only use officially published materials. That being said we use basically all of the officially published materials and have an extremely liberal view when it comes to refluffing. Players are encouraged to play whatever they want and to think on their feet depending on what shows up to session. If the group is 6 players and they are 6 strikers, they better be prepared for rocket tag if combat comes a knocking.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? All official material for races/subraces allowed. We do not allow homebrewed races, however if you want to say your character is a Centaur, but it is actually a human on a horse mechanically... have fun with it.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? 22pt buy, as their class entry for level 5/

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? Any Non-evil. Any particular game elements that require an evil alignment can be used as long as you meet other pre-requisites. For example the Blood-Crazed Berserker Paragon Path is allowed and the players can ignore the alignment requirement, but must still be a Fighter.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? Yes, as per usual rules in 4e.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? We use Roll20, so that's all done by the Virtual Table Top.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. There are some minor rules in the game. Some of these are clarifications, some of these are house rules for sanity. Players who join are welcome to read through the minor rulings (encouraged even!) but for the most part they aren't big changes and are instead our own group errata.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? Your background should in some way lead you to join the guild. Why is up to you. Are you in it for the money? For the experience? Is this crazy inter-dimensional merc organization a hiding place so mommy-dearest doesn't find you and drag your soul back to hell? Up to you. Feel free to include what you like. The starting level is 5 and the story you will be walking into is as part of a cross-dimensional adventuring company. So you might have saved a local town, gotten to know a royal court, been a minor military hero or similar. The feel of the character is up to you. We have had adventurers play as Space Marines who fell through the warp and joined the guild hoping to find the right portal back to the 41st millennium. We have had adventurers that are Hellspawn on the run from their Succubus mother and trying to come to grips with their burgeoning psionic powers.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? Most games are a combination, however players will notice that individual games often are tagged with what type of game they are. Untagged games are a mix of combat and RP. [Arena] tagged games will focus heavily on combat with little or no story. [Narrative] games will focus heavily on the story with opportunities to avoid most or all combat. No player is required to play in a certain number of either type of game, but the games that are a mix are much more prevalent than either extreme.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? All official content with a small banned list. Basically items only available in a specific adventure, things that can't be purchased or crafted and things without a level or cost. Alternative rewards also cannot be purchased but can be obtained through play. It should be noted that every player will be given a copy of the compendium which contains all official material and is up-to-date with all errata.

Last edited by Wasteomana; 2018-02-05 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Titles and Big 16.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: The Living Guild Campaign [D&D4e]

Cleaned up the OP and added in the Big 16 (Which looks to be the Gold Standard for assessing games on here).
    Interested in giving 4e D&D a shot? All players, new and old, are welcome to join us over at the Guild Living Campaign on Roll20. Feel free to post on the thread or PM me for more information.

You can also follow me on Youtube. I am currently working on a series of videos aimed at helping Dungeon Masters from all editions work at improving the craft that is being a DM with my series Beg Borrow and Steal.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Guild Living Campaign [D&D4e]

Id be very interested in a later game (8 or 9pm eastern). Having a 2 year old makes daytime games problematic.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by masteraleph View Post
    Id be very interested in a later game (8 or 9pm eastern). Having a 2 year old makes daytime games problematic.
    Depends on the week honestly. Some weeks we have games that start that late, some weeks we don't. Although if you find a group of people to request a game the chance that you will get a game starting then is very high (I know I'd run one around that time if people wanted to play). I usually run my 'later game' at 7pm EST start time, but if we had enough interest to bump it back to 8 or 9 I'd be game.

I would say, make a character and get to know the community a bit. There are some games that do get run in that slot and you would be able to drop by. Not only that but requested games are a thing for people who have specific time needs.
    Interested in giving 4e D&D a shot? All players, new and old, are welcome to join us over at the Guild Living Campaign on Roll20. Feel free to post on the thread or PM me for more information.

You can also follow me on Youtube. I am currently working on a series of videos aimed at helping Dungeon Masters from all editions work at improving the craft that is being a DM with my series Beg Borrow and Steal.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there anything like a 4e SRD? I dragged around a 4e PHB for years without getting to use it, but it got lost a couple of moves ago...
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Swami Monsoon View Post
    Is there anything like a 4e SRD? I dragged around a 4e PHB for years without getting to use it, but it got lost a couple of moves ago...
    This is an excellent question. What we use is a thing called the "Portable Compendium". It is a small database that has a built in search engine which contains all of the information from every book in the edition. You can also bookmark specific powers (like the ones your character(s) use), paragon paths, backgrounds or rules entries in the glossary. It also includes all of the errata that got added to the edition and is still being supported by the community. Any errors that get found get added to a google doc and are usually corrected within a month.

It is, honestly, the single most useful SRD type tool I've ever found for any edition of any tabletop.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Hello everyone, I figured I would come by and mention that we've got another 9 games scheduled for this week. We also got a new patch for the compendium. Our community is active and always trying to improve.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

8. - Top - End - #8

9 games already on the schedule for this week. Last week we had 14 games. New players always welcome.