New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Help picking a Forgotten Realms City

So I'm in my friend's new DnD 5th edition game, and it's set in what's essentially the Forgotten Realms setting. My GM asked me what city my character would come from. I could have made up one, but I wanted to do a canon city to help fit into the world. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the world of Forgotten Realms. So I was hoping to get advice from you guys on a city to pick.

My character is a half-orc who grew up in the ghettho of a city, where Half-orcs and other monstrous looking sentient races are heavily discriminated against. He joined the army when he became of age to gain respect. He trained as a Ranger and fought against goblin races and invading orcs primarily, before his unit was left to die.

So what I need is a city that:
    • Discriminates against Half-orcs
    • Has a Ghetto of monster or non-human races
    • Is part of a kingdom that has an army, or has it's own city army
    • Exists in the Forgotten Realms canon
    • Deals with the threat of goblins and Orcs on a frequent basis, possibly on the boards with them

So yeah. I don't know if there's a city that falls into these restrictions. I'm wondering if maybe Waterdeep, but I don't know if that's too cosmopolitan to discriminate half-orcs. But let me know if Waterdeep would be a good choice, or some other city, and I'll do more research.

Thanks in advance

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Help picking a Forgotten Realms City

Your best option would be the cities of Melvaunt or Mulmaster, located in the Moonsea Region and generally pretty evil and oppressive-leaning.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

My first thought was Hillsfar, though their half-orc ghetto would more likely be a foulburg outside the walls (given the Great Law of Humanity). Mulmaster and Melvaunt would also work pretty well.

It's a bit less canon, but you might also look at Castle Crag, in NE Cormyr. It's a garrison of Cormyr, arrayed on the northern border near the Stonelands. You'd need to have a town nearby.

You might also go with Arabel, again in NE Cormyr, adjacent to the Stonelands. There's no listed half-orc ghetto, but you could easily decide one of the crowded sections in town met your needs.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Arabel is tempting because of the Goblin War sounds perfect/would inspire animosity towards Orcs and suck, but I think I will go with the Hilsfur. Although I'll give it some thought.