New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Blades in the Dark: Gangs of Duskovol IC thread

The haulers quickly pull out the crane and carefully hoist the four crates onto their cart. Just as the last crate is loaded onto their cart, there is a sudden noise as the doors from several nearby houses burst open. A score of rifles emerge, held by grim-faced imperial soldiers. They are levelled at the crew and at the haulers. One of the soldiers growls, "Freeze, guttersnipes!"

A moment later, a tall, thin man with an aquiline face emerges, dressed in an inspector's uniform. He takes off his gloves and slaps them into his hand for emphasis. "So. The Red Sashes are delivering black lotus to the orphans. How very charitable."

The hauler stutters for a moment and says, "Uh, I don't know nuthin' about that, sir. All we got are eels. See the work order?" He waves the paper as if it will shield him from the inspector. "That's right, guys, just eels?" he asks the crew, plaintively.

The Inspector sneers. "We'll see about that. Sergeant, search those crates!"

One of the soldiers motions to a few others, and they climb up on the cart and pry the lids off. The carefully peer into the crate and then jerk back. "Just eels, sir!" says one of them.

"False bottoms, you idiot," says the Inspector. "Break them open!"

The soldiers lever the crates off the cart, and they fall down with a crash, spill filthy water and angry, thrashing eels all across the little square. By now a small crowd has gathered, behind the soldiers, and they laugh as the two soldiers carefully smash the crates to pieces with their rifle butts, only finding more water and more eels. There is a long, ominous silence as the Inspector stares furiously at the mess, eyelid twitching. The moment is broken by the sound of hoofbeats. An Imperial officer on an actual, living, breathing horse moves through the crowd, which reluctantly parts for him. He stops the horse a few feet away from the snapping swarm of eels. "Inspector Francois. Did you really need a company of my finest troops to defeat these dangerous eels?"

The Inspector growls. "My informant assured me that the Red Sashes were sending in 50 pounds of Black Lotus! We had to put a stop to them!"

The Captain surveys the scene for a moment. "Well. We are always happy to assist the Inspectorate. Nevertheless, riots are breaking out in Crow's Foot. I need to have this company stationed at the Charterhall bridge, to prevent any unpleasantness from spreading. With your permission?" The Inspector growls something unintelligible, and the Captain continues, "Company! Fall in!" The soldiers shoulder their arms and form two lines, although a few more enterprising ones stoop to pick up an eel or two, carefully stowing them in their packs for a later dinner. The Captain politely ignores this, and leads the company away. The inspector stops to examine everyone's faces, as if trying to commit them to memory. Then he follows the retreating soldiers. This seems to trigger something in the watching crowds, who surge forward to claim a share of the spoils. While some lucky eels have managed to thrash themselves over the edge into the canal, the majority of them are quickly seized by the milling crowd. The haulers have fled the scene through a side street, bringing their wagon with them.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lucren Novida, aka Smoke

Smoke raises an eyebrow as he watches the crowd pick through the eels on the ground.

"A rather exciting end to all of this business, eh?"

He speaks just loud enough for the nearby crew mates to hear him.

"I'm guessing this is a mission accomplished. We should probably head back and get paid.

And if we have enough time, try to figure out who this informant is."

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

"I imagine they were the ones who tipped the inspectors off as a diversion, but we should report it just to be polite." Ifriti replies.

As they begin sailing away Pepper comments, "I just wish they hadn't sent us off in the dark about the crates and who we were up against. I very nearly started shooting the moment I heard their guns come out."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Any thoughts of returning to the Red Sashes immediately are quashed as you approach Crow's Foot. A few plumes of smoke rise from the city, thick and acrid, and Bluecoat patrols are swarming the canals and bridges. By the time of the next dawn, grim and cold, a messenger arrives at The Anglerfish, bringing a strongbox with [6 COIN] in it, and a note from Mylera Klev.

Quote Originally Posted by Mylera Klev
    Sorry for the deception, loves, I needed to smoke out the snakes in my garden. I knew you could take care of yourselves. I hope the extra coin will help you forgive me? And feel free to drop by some of our dojos, in case you want to learn some elementary skills. Although, perhaps not now, we are a little busy.
    The fighting in Crow's Foot seems to have died down. Apparently, the Lampblacks and Billhooks were trying to ambush a shipment of drugs that the Red Sashes were shipping through Crow's Foot, but were in turn ambushed by the Red Sashes and some Skovish mercenaries. They put a bitter fight, maybe a dozen killed and scores wounded. The Bluecoats stayed out of it until the fires got going, then they forced their way in with the Sallies in tow. The gangs retreated after that, let the Bluecoats and Sallies fight the fires and engage in some desultory looting. But the battlelines are drawn.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: Arden Winthrope
    Show
    You leave the offices of Saltford's Bank, James' laughter still ringing in your ears. It stings, more than you thought it would. "Arden, Saltford's is at the cutting edge. We need the best minds. Academy graduates, not dropouts. Why don't you try selling spirit charms down in Nightmarket? Or busting ghosts on the side?"

As you collect your thoughts, a man approaches you. Heavyset, bulky. Hooded, and wearing a fine spirit mask. A snarling animal of some sort. "Mr Winthrope, a moment of your time? I may have some work for you." He takes you by the arm and gently guides you to a small café. He orders three small mince pies and three mushroom stouts. He quickly demolishes two of them, leaving the third for you. "I understand that you have had some trouble at the Academy. I was most opposed to how you were treated, but I have so very little influence these days. So it goes. But I don't want to bore you about Academy politics. I have an amusing story for you. Some time ago, I had contracted with some disreputable sorts to purchase an unusual artifact. Don't look shocked, aha, we at the Academy are sometimes more grounded than we appear. Ahem. But the parties never showed up at the meeting. The law caught up with them, as is just and proper. But regrettably, before I could make the purchase. And the law does not appear to have recovered my artifact. Most vexing. Fortunately, these artifacts do not hide themselves. I have consulted with the spirit worlds and divined its location. I fear that another band of criminals has acquired it, hah. It would be very helpful to me, personally, if you offer your services to these scoundrels. Who could turn down the offer of an Academy trained whisper? Study the artifact, and keep me apprised. And when the time comes, I will be happy to sponsor your readmission to the Academy.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

A day or two after their latest score, Ifriti finally has time to look through one of the books she got as her initial payment from the crew. She'd been expecting another snippet of information about one of the rituals she'd been trying to piece together. Instead she was delighted to find it contained the missing clues she needed to complete it. Her mind raced with the thrill of finally finally getting to perform some real old world magic as she put the pieces together and formed a completed ritual.
    Then she had to go to a few shops. A goldsmith for some gold dust and a gembroker for, she decided rubies would fit her best. It was a shame to have to crush them, as small and imperfect as the ones she purchased were. The alcohol, a favorite iruvian wine, wasn't particularly hard to acquire.

The next day she went by Qwellen's place and invited her along, promising something most exciting. She took her to the Anglerfish and they secluded themselves in the workshop space. She briefly wondered at what the previous crew might have used this space for. Probably not ritual magic, she concluded with a grin to herself.
    Then they began the work of making the magic circle and all its complex symbols with gold dust and crushed rubies, after they'd lit the room with candles and put out the electroplasmic lights. Then the filled the bowl with the wine. And then Ifriti placed her lightning hook in the circle. Then finally they began their fire hours of chanting. Mostly in hadrathi, including a few rather archaic words. But also a few words from a language that Ifriti believed was far older still.

When they were done, the gold and ruby dust of the magic circle slithered along the ground to the lightning hook, covering it entirely and then it began to glow red hot. The dust melted and the lightning hook grew so hot it glowed too brightly for the pair to look directly at for a few moments. Then there was the hissing sound of something rapidly cooling and the lightning hook had been transformed. Before them was something resembling a wizard's staff from the old faerie tales. While it still could collapse like the lightning hook it had once been, its steel seemed to have been transformed to copper and it had lines of gold and ruby wrapped around it. The loop of wire had been replaced with a head that was somewhat similar to a tuning fork... or perhaps horns.
    Sharing a look of amazement with her friend, Ifriti only waited a few moments longer to ensure it was cool enough to touch before picking it up. She could immediately feel the power of it and smiled, in a slightly wicked way, involuntarily. After taking a moment to just enjoy the sensation, she remembered to test if it still worked as a lightning hook. At the very thought of it, electricity arced between the forked points at the end. She jumped at the sudden crackle of it. And then her smiled widened further. A bit later on she remembered to check that it could still be charged like a normal lightning hook and found that there didn't seem to be any way to access its internal mechanisms and she couldn't sense the presence of electroplasm in it. Just the magic staff's own blazing elemental power.

Spoiler
    Show

Performing Magical Weapon ritual. With assistance from Qwellen. 3 Stress for Ifriti and Spending 1 Coin and 1 Downtime action.

Magic Weapon is for Ifriti and its unique property is that while using it, Pushing for Tempest costs only 1 Stress.

Attune: (3d6)[6][3][6](15)

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

After Ifriti has changed out of the heavy and unfashionable disguises they had to wear for the smuggling operation, she runs into Smoke. She notices something. A familiar article from the same tailor she frequents if she's correct. Not feeling a need to be coy or timid here, this is a man she just committed...well, would have committed a crime with.
    "Smoke. Would you be willing to accompany me somewhere? I would not mind the chance to get to know you a bit better as I don't feel I have a true sense for you yet. I believe by your attire you're already familiar with the work of Dunridge & Sons, yes? I feel the need to put together something special and could use a discerning pair of eyes. Perhaps a second pair as well if you happen to know those belonging to a lady as I could use the opinion of both genders I think."

Spoiler
    Show

Paying 1 Coin for a third Downtime action. Vice roll with a friend: (2d6)[2][2](4)

8. - Top - End - #218
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dojango View Post
    Spoiler: Arden Winthrope
    Show
    You leave the offices of Saltford's Bank, James' laughter still ringing in your ears. It stings, more than you thought it would. "Arden, Saltford's is at the cutting edge. We need the best minds. Academy graduates, not dropouts. Why don't you try selling spirit charms down in Nightmarket? Or busting ghosts on the side?"

As you collect your thoughts, a man approaches you. Heavyset, bulky. Hooded, and wearing a fine spirit mask. A snarling animal of some sort. "Mr Winthrope, a moment of your time? I may have some work for you." He takes you by the arm and gently guides you to a small café. He orders three small mince pies and three mushroom stouts. He quickly demolishes two of them, leaving the third for you. "I understand that you have had some trouble at the Academy. I was most opposed to how you were treated, but I have so very little influence these days. So it goes. But I don't want to bore you about Academy politics. I have an amusing story for you. Some time ago, I had contracted with some disreputable sorts to purchase an unusual artifact. Don't look shocked, aha, we at the Academy are sometimes more grounded than we appear. Ahem. But the parties never showed up at the meeting. The law caught up with them, as is just and proper. But regrettably, before I could make the purchase. And the law does not appear to have recovered my artifact. Most vexing. Fortunately, these artifacts do not hide themselves. I have consulted with the spirit worlds and divined its location. I fear that another band of criminals has acquired it, hah. It would be very helpful to me, personally, if you offer your services to these scoundrels. Who could turn down the offer of an Academy trained whisper? Study the artifact, and keep me apprised. And when the time comes, I will be happy to sponsor your readmission to the Academy.
    After coming out and being taken to a Cafe by a man he does not know, Arden will remain absolutely silent and stone face, not reacting to the food or drink in front of him, while listening to the Gentleman's plan. After waiting a little while, perhaps slightly longer than is necessary, Arden speaks in a slow, deliberate tone.

"I understand, your request. I do not know who it is you wish me to speak to though, do you know where they are located Mr?"

Arden's look is clearly looking like he is expecting a name, but not one he can trust. After it's given, and a hopefully a location he can go to. He will simply nod, then waiting and drawing out the time a bit more he will take a drink of some of the stout, again seemingly drawing it out a bit longer than is necessary.

"I am sure I can be of some service. Tell me, do you know anything about these roguish chaps that I might find helpful?"

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A cart rumbles by the cafe. The man turns and looks at it. "Johnson & Portman Cartage Services" is painted on the side in bright colors. He looks at Arden disapprovingly. "You may call me Dr. Johnson. I didn't go to 11 years of school... neveemind. Young man, the first rule of aethyrics studies is that everything costs energy. If not from fuel, than from you. You need to keep your strength up, lest you be consumed by your work." He taps Arden's pie with his knife. "There are children starving in Skovlan, you know. As far as the current holders of my artifact, well, that I don't know. If I knew, I would simply make myself known... but once burned, twice shy, as they say? I hired an orphan to spy on the location, but he eventually came back, saying he was too afeared of the crocodile to continue. Kids! Such unreliable workers. And full of stories. They appear to be honest deliverymen, but I am sure that is not the whole story. At any rate, it seems to me that you... well, I,... have connections to many people interested in procuring arcane artifacts. People whose hands would be much safer than those of the untrained masses. If you introduce yourself to these scoundrels as someone who may find a buyer for that artifact, that would serve our purpose?" The man pulls a small saucer out of his pocket. He pours the last dregs of his beer in it, and then spits in it. He murmurs a few times, and then drops a sliver of something in the saucer. It spins for a moment, and then points to the south. "Powerful artifacts do not want to remain hidden, you know. This will show you the way, and perhaps provide proof of your bonafides. It's a simple variant on Lysa's Locator, but attuned to the artifact in question."
    Last edited by dojango; 2018-06-05 at 10:52 AM.

10. - Top - End - #220

ClericGuy

Arden looks at the pie when he taps it. After a moment's deliberation he begins eating it. Once he has finished eating the pie, he takes the saucer, watching the object floating in it.

"Thank Doctor. I apologise if I seem brusque, it's not often a, friendly face comes out of nowhere to offer me a job. You can understand myself being a bit on edge. Do they know what they have?"

((OoC: Edited to make it more in line with GM's response.))
    Last edited by ShadowImmor; 2018-06-06 at 09:38 AM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: Arden
    Show

Doctor Johnson fixes Arden with a glare. "I suppose that would be helpful. Fine. The artifact in question is a human fore-arm. A left arm. They let me see it when I was first talking to them... but I don't know if it is genuine. There have been many fakes of this over the years... anyone can take an arm and call it Kotar's. I will need you to inspect the item and make sure it is the real one. If it is, then I will purchase it from these scoundrels... at a fair price. You will get your cut, too. If it is fake, I will purchase it as well, at a much lower price, of course. These scoundrels have obtained a steamboat tied up near the Silkshore bridge. Haha, don't let the temptations of the city distract you from your work, young man. I have an associate who can deliver messages to me discretely. She will meet you by the docks. She will ask you, 'What do you do when the whispers are late?' your response, 'burn down the house'."

12. - Top - End - #222

ClericGuy

Arden leaves the café, a small smile on his face as he heads out into the streets, following the direction Doctor Johnson gave him, thinking to himself that this must be a lucky break, after all, he's only got to look at an artefact and then arrange a purchase! What could possibly go...

He shakes his head dismissing that thought before he finishes it. He's well aware many things could go wrong, and thinking that everything is fine is hubris he cannot afford.

Upon arriving at the docks, he looks up and down the water front, looking for a steamboat, or for anyone trying to catch his eye.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Show
    As Arden approaches the dock where the steamboat is, a woman appears out of the shadows. Older, with her iron gray hair tied back. She has a whisper's mask at her belt, and she appears to be hawking spirit charms. "Son, you look like you are lost. Perhaps a charm to find your way? To protect you? What do you do when the Whisper is late?" After Arden gives the countersign, she continues. "So, another friend. I thought to take a look around the ship, but they've got a spirit guarding it. Clever. Didn't get too close. They're right vicious bastards, too. We got attacked while we were, well, never mind, but they started dropping the attackers like it were nothing. Cold. If the Doctor thinks you can get an in, good luck. They're working for the Red Sashes now, helping find leaks in the ship. Gonna be another war. You can tell these guys what we found out from the captives. The living and the dead. They were mercenaries, hired by an unknown party. Obviously Basco. He's gotta have a mole, and Mylera's gonna roast him. Probably be torturing his spirit for eternity. The mole's, I mean. Any rate, we had to let the captives go as part of a deal with the Skovs, so no hard feelings. Pass that along, they shouldn't be out for blood. Probably. Any rate, best of luck, young man. If you want to send a message to the Doctor, ask around for the Widow Johnson down by Tinker Square."

14. - Top - End - #224

ClericGuy

He nods along as the woman explains to him what he needs to know.

"I see. What do you suggest would be the best approach? Merely walking up to them and saying I represent an interested party in an object they have and as such I would like to look at it more closely to see if it is the object my employer is after, another approach altogether?"

He looks over at the steamboat, just getting an idea of what's going on, looking to see if he can see an activity or if it's all completely quiet.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Show
    "They're very mercenary. The prospect of getting more money would appeal. Or maybe offer to do them a favor in exchange for employment? You're the man who's got to keep the lies straight, so come up with something plausible and easy to remember. But it's your ass on the line..."

The bow-light on the steamboat is lit, and someone seems to have rigged electroplasm over to the steamship. There is a faint light from the upper floors, but the place seems still. With your attuned senses, however, you see a faint ghost echo from the ship. There is a spirit there, a guard, or a prisoner, you don't know.

16. - Top - End - #226

ClericGuy

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Sorry for the slow replies in the last couple of days, work's been kicking my butt.

Arden nods, and thanks the lady for her help. After giving the Steamboat a full once over, he pauses for a moment, debating the best approach. Before getting a little bored and simply calling out his presence.

"Good evening? Is anyone there? I have a matter of utmost import to discuss with you."

He waits patiently for a response from the boat or even from the spirit he senses.
    Last edited by ShadowImmor; 2018-06-09 at 05:12 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Arden sees the ghostly figure drift towards him. At first it takes on the form of one of the dread spirits haunting the wastes, but as Arden shows no fear, it morphs into the faint figure of a well-dressed man. "The Masters are not in at the moment," it says. "If you would care to leave a message... although, the masters return. Their time is valuable, do not waste it, young man." The ghost points down the river. You can see a sailboat approaching the dock.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Kione at some points sets aside her normal attire, in which people would recognize her as Pepper, and cleans up. Then sneaks off somewhere and changes into the attire of her other alias, the mysterious Miss Orchid in the Breeze.
    So disguised, she pays a visit to the other barge in her life, the Silver Swan. She greets the other patrons with faint smiles and nods of the head and quiet spoken words as she breezes through over to Eldrin Pritchard, the owner of the establishment. She inquires about the well being of the girl Pepper had rescued before, both as an honest inquiry and a suggestion that she might like to spend some time with her in one of the rooms. She also lets Eldrin know she'll partake of whatever beverage or substance he suggests as a proper pairing for her companion of the evening.
    In general, Kione just enjoys herself and enjoys being someone other than "herself" for a bit.

Spoiler
    Show

Vice roll: (2d6)[2][3](5)

19. - Top - End - #229

Lucren Novida, aka Smoke

Lucren struts about the nearby streets with a specially tailored green coat with long tails. A pin with his family crest holds most of his long hair out of his face. His nearly white pants excentuates the green of his coat and his shoes.

---

When he is approached by Ifriti he clears his throat and gives her a gentleman's bow.

"Good day." He then lowers his voice as he speaks this next line. "Please refrain from using that name in public." He then goes back to a normal vocal volume. "I would enjoy joining you in your endeavor. I do, also, know someone who would be interested in joining us. Perhaps we can approach her along the way."

Spoiler: Roslyn Kellis
    Show

Lucren will be approaching his friend Roslyn to join him and Ifriti with her need to put something special together.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

"Very good then. Lead the way please." Ifriti replies. As they walk off she comments, "You didn't mention what I should call you. You may call me Sitre, Miss Talibah, or Professor Talibah as it suits you and the circumstance."

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Lady Roslyn Kellis, youngest daughter of the First Sea Lord Kellis presents a very unladylike figure, dressed in a formal men's tuxedo, expertly tailored, an archaic rapier at her hip. She is smoking a nasty-smelling cigarillo, and is trailed by a very nervous looking maid. She approaches Lucren and Sitre. "Oy, Lucren. You said you're visiting Dunridge's? I can get you an appointment, sure. Got another damned ball at the Bowmore's to go to. That old coot. You free tomorrow evening? Who's that chick? You got a new girl you ain't told me about?"
    Last edited by dojango; 2018-06-09 at 09:28 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232

Lucren Novida, aka Smoke

"Sorry, Sitre, I had assumed you knew my name or at least my family."
    He points at the hair pin in his hair. "Please call me Lucren. My father is Mr. Novida, a trader from Tycheros." Lucren's monkey-like tail rustles the tail of his coat.

"What about you? What is your history?"

---

"Good day Roslyn, this is my new friend Sitre. She is a professor of both knowledge and fine attire.

As for how we met, let us say that she enjoys the same activities as I do."
    A sly smirk appears upon his lips.
    Last edited by Feirgon; 2018-06-09 at 10:19 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah. I am indeed familiar with the name Novida. A most interesting family trade." Sitre comments.
    "As for myself, well we don't know each other so well that I will share all of the details. I was born in U'duasha and there I was a scholar, though I doubt even if you ran in those circles you would have heard of me. Some events caused me to think it was finally time to see other places and learn in the halls of other academies, so I came here to Doskvol and took on a job at Doskvol Academy as a professor. Then I found out this crew had a pair of books I had been keeping an eye out for and so helped arrange a trade with my countryman Ms. Klev who I had dealt with a few times before. Events then unfolded that I became an official member of the crew." she answers Lucren's question and finishes with a shrug at the end as if to say "I'm really not quite sure how that happened. Oh well."

Sitre gives Lucren a smile at the compliment of "professor of fine attire" and then turns back to Roslyn. "A pleasure to make your acquaintance Lady Kellis. Yes, I asked Lucren here if he would accompany me and if he had anyone with a good feminine perspective to accompany us." At this point she looks at Lucren and back to Rosyln's tuxedo and back to Lucren with an amused smirk and before she can stop herself asks, "I suppose you felt you were adequate for the role I thought was lacking and not the one I assumed you would fill?"

24. - Top - End - #234

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dojango View Post
    Arden sees the ghostly figure drift towards him. At first it takes on the form of one of the dread spirits haunting the wastes, but as Arden shows no fear, it morphs into the faint figure of a well-dressed man. "The Masters are not in at the moment," it says. "If you would care to leave a message... although, the masters return. Their time is valuable, do not waste it, young man." The ghost points down the river. You can see a sailboat approaching the dock.
    Arden smiles softly.

"Then I will wait here if that's quite alright with your sir."

He then finds a crate nearby and sits down on it, waiting patiently for the owners of the boat to return.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Some time passes by as Arden waits and eventually Pepper, Ifriti, and Smoke show up. Pepper is the first to spot the stranger looking around pointedly and at their ship, so as she walks over she calls out, "Can we help you?" in a tone that implies the speaker is ready for violence if this is going to be a violence required thing.

26. - Top - End - #236

ClericGuy

Arden smiles disarmingly as they approach, opening up his body language to say "I'm not a threat." he stands and once they are close enough, he speaks.

"AH! Excellent, you must be the owners of this this ship. I have come to offer my services, I am a man with some knowledge of the Arcane. Arden Winthrope at your service."

He bows low taking off his hat and doing a flourish with it at the same time. He remains in the bow for a heartbeat or two longer than would be expected before straightening.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Pepper (though to Arden everyone looks about the same as they're still in their disguises) seems about to say something when Ifriti taps her on the shoulder and whispers into her ear, "I know this kid. He was a student at the academy but had to drop out due to lack of funds. He was a good student. I'm not sure what he's doing here though. For now I'll let you do the talking since if I speak he might recognize my voice."

After the hushed whispering of the whisper, Pepper takes a few steps closer to Arden and says, "A Whisper as they call it here? Ok. And why do you want to join us?"

28. - Top - End - #238

ClericGuy

Arden keeps his smile up while he speaks.

"Simply put, I am in need of funds. I was pointed towards you by a gentleman interested in purchasing something he seems to believe you have. I said I would look it over, but I also realised that I could be of assistance to you in a more, permanent context, and also help myself in the process."

He watches the others carefully, as if expecting it could explode any minute, but he doesn't appear to want to be the one to light the keg, so to speak.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Pepper seems to mull this over for a minute and then says, "Alright sure. We could use more pairs of hands. First I want to know who we'd be selling to. Second... hmm. How about you do something to prove your value before we let you on our ship and let you look through our valuables huh?"
    As she says this she looks to the others to see if they're in agreement. Ifriti nods and they both look over to Smoke.

30. - Top - End - #240

Lucren Novida, aka Smoke

Smoke shrugs his shoulders.

"It wasn't too long ago that I joined up. Plus, I hear the crew lost a few members before I showed up."

"If he's able and willing, I can't see why he couldn't try to prove himself as valuable contributor."

There is a silent look that Smoke gives Pepper as he says the last line. An implied question as to wondering if he has yet proved himself hangs within his gaze.