New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Blades in the Dark: Gangs of Duskovol IC thread

Pepper returns Smoke's look with one of incredulity, wondering if he didn't get how valuable he was on the job they just finished.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Arden's smile gets slightly wider.

"Of course. I am happy to help. I understand that you are, how should I say it, delivery men so to speak. What task would you have me do that you feel could be helpful? Perhaps once I've finished whatever this task is, I can see if you have other trinkets that may be more valuable that first believed. Or draw up a manifest and do some grunt work for you? As to the gentleman who referred me to you, well, he prizes his anonymity, and he is a student of the Arcane, like myself. Beyond that, I know very little. One can hardly refuse a job offer when you are in my situation."

He looks at each member of the group as he speaks, trying to gauge any reactions to his answer.

Edit: Included reference to his "employer"
    Last edited by ShadowImmor; 2018-06-14 at 03:15 AM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Possibly to be edited
    Show
    "If you're joining us, you're doing so on more or less equal footing. So stop with the appeasing stuff ok? Just, figure something out that's useful. Go get people out of our wake or something like that." Pepper replies.
    Then she adds, "Still waiting on the name of that client."

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lucren Novida, aka Smoke

Adventures in Tailoring

Lucren smiles at Sitre.

"You stated a need and I do believe I have provided an adequate solution. It was not like you were very specific in your requirements."

A sly twinkle appears in his eyes.

"Roslyn, my friend here is in need of some opinions in style. Would you be interested in joining us?"

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Roslyn holds out her arm for Lucren to take. Her eyes had glazed over at the word 'professor', and as they walk away, she says, "I would be delighted, Lucren. If your friend's needs are so... limited... it should be trivial to find something for her." And with that, she strides down the street towards the tailor's shop, her maid scurrying behind the group.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Adventures in Tailoring

After getting to Dunridge & Sons, Sitre lets Lucren and Roslyn know she's looking for something that isn't brightly colorful and ostentatious as a costume for "work", but is still stylish. After spending a lot of time looking at this or that and asking their opinions, she settles on getting a custom order of a catsuit with an attached hood made of snakeskin. Along with matching gloves and boots of course.

Of course during this time she offers her own opinion on whatever items Lucren and Roslyn are interested in too.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2018-06-14 at 07:24 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247

ClericGuy

Arden chuckles lightly at the response from Pepper.

"Very well, if you insist. I merely assumed that you would not want me as 'full partner' until I had proven myself in more than just this small way. If you would like me to ensure there are no people following you, perhaps you could tell me what your last delivery job was? And where? That way I can point people in the opposite direction or ensure that it appears you were there for legitimate reasons? If you do not wish to divulge that information to me, I could speak to the Bluecoats about... well... what do you call yourselves?"

After the response he continues.

"Yes quite, I could speak to a Bluecoat about you and ask him to see if he can 'forget' about you, though, I confess I would perhaps require some coin to do such a thing as I am a little thin on the ground myself at this time."

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Pepper shrugs and has an amused grin, "It would be awkward to have only one person as an underling, I guess you can count yourself lucky and you got a promotion from joining early. Since our last job actually turned out to be legitimate, a fun story I'll tell you later, yeah. That angle wouldn't work."

Ifriti lets out a little groan at the accidental pun made. Pepper gives a sigh and continues, "We're called the Anglers. It wasn't the idea of anyone here in case you're wondering."

At the request for cash Pepper looks at Ifriti who nods and then turns back to Arden and hands over a palm full of scales (as this kind of currency is called). "You don't have to worry about paying that back.... if you do a good job." she says, not really in a threatening way. Though it certainly would have been if Ifriti wasn't vouching for him.

9. - Top - End - #249

ClericGuy

Arden smiles again politely at the response.

"A legitimate job hmm? Well isn't that interesting. It is good to know you're not always scoundrels"

He smiles disarmingly, clearly meaning it as a small joke.

"The Anglers eh? Have you not thought about changing your name? Perhaps that would also serve to throw people off your trail?"

Taking the handful of scales, Arden seems a bit at odds for a moment, as if it's been a while since he had enough money to just give away a handful of coins.

"Very well, I will endeavour to do something of some small value. I assume if I return here you will be still on this boat docked? Or are you planning on leaving soon?"

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

"A name change wouldn't do much, even if we could somehow enforce it kid. Think it through. If the Crows started calling themselves the Cows, it wouldn't fool anyone of anything. The only thing that would accomplish is making people question our reliability." Pepper replies with a scoff.

"It'll be here for a while longer. If you take too long and we move it, I'm sure a bright lad like you will be able to track it down again eh?" She replies, rather noncommittally, just to give Arden a bit of a hard time for her own amusement.

11. - Top - End - #251

ClericGuy

"Perhaps not... oh well. I am fairly certain I could find you again, though I hope I shan't take too long. Goodbye, I hope to return shortly."

With that, he bows deeply and heads off back into the streets, looking to discover a way to make the Bluecoats ignore them for a little longer.

((OoC: How do you want to handle Arden not being around for a bit? I assume he will be gone for a few hours of game time completing this task.))

12. - Top - End - #252

Lucren Novida, aka Smoke

Adventures in Tailoring

Lucren does well in avoiding ostentatious as Sitre goes through the many options at Dunridge. Roslyn, however, seems to continue pushing her towards the more salacious and provocative.

Once Sitre had settled on an option Lucren decides that he too would like a new outfit for his extra curricular activities.

"I have been so accustomed to working alone, I will have to add some attire that suits being in a team."

Lucren states that he is aiming for subdued yet professional. Once again, Roslyn pushes for outfits that are on the edges of the constraints. But Lucren plays along because she is probably more interested in just seeing the outfit than anything else; just a noble's form of entertainment.

Sitre provides more constrained input and, eventually, Lucren settles on a dark green three piece suit with a silver bowtie, a black bowler, and black leather shoes.

"Indeed a fine outfit."

Spoiler: Indulging
    Show

All my stats are at 2. Indulging with a friend +1.
    (3d6)[2][3][4](9)

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Adventures in Tailoring a different kind of needlework

After they've got their shopping taken care of and seen the interesting Miss Roslyn off, Sitre comments, "Are you feel alright? I saw you take a bit of a blow during our earlier outing and I saw you holding your side rather more delicately than necessary a few times. Perhaps it is my turn to introduce you to a friend of mine who could give you a look over?"

14. - Top - End - #254

ClericGuy

I'm Blue Dabadee

Arden heads off into the streets, looking to see if he can't find a newspaper or something, in an attempt to find what was noted in them about the Crew's last job. Upon finding one, he Studies it to see if he can't find anything about ongoing investigations into the "Anglers", in an attempt to find anything he can use to either point an investigation away from them or bribe a Bluecoat.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Training with Changeling

Pepper, after getting up up from her hammock in the ship and having breakfast and a bit of roughhousing with Salt and taking a bath, goes to see Changeling. Upon finding wherever the spirit is lurking she says, "It's about time we do what we brought you here to do. So where do we start?"

((Resolve Training))

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Arden spends some time walking the narrow streets where kids are hawking newsheets. The "official" papers are all about the prices of ectoplasm and the deliberations of the city council. If they do mention the recent troubles at all, it is to blame refugees brawling in the fields of Dunslough and labor agitators causing trouble at the docks. The unlicensed papers are more interesting. Some of them blame the gangs of course, others blame the Bluecoats, or anarchists, or refugees. About a day or so later, Arden sees one of the more radical papers, one called "The Seventh Tower". On the front is the headline "IMPERIAL INSPECTORS DESTROY ORPHAN'S FOOD!" There is a drawing of a cruel-looking Inspector, stomping on an eel, backed by Imperial soldiers. There are four honest-looking laborers standing around him, as well as a few dirty-looking children. They are all labelled. The Inspector is saying "NO BRIBES? NO FOOD!" The children are saying "WOE TO THE ORPHANS!" The laborers are saying "WOE TO THE HONEST BUSINESSMAN!" And the eel is saying "WOE TO THE HONEST EEL!" The article itself discusses how a corrupt inspector destroyed a shipment of eels bound for an orphanarium because they couldn't pay a hefty bribe on the spot.

--------

Meanwhile, back at the ship. Pepper approaches the Changeling, who is "seated" at one of the tables in the salon. Ghostly cards flicker in front of him. He looks up at her as she makes her demand. "Madam. I have commanded fleets. I have rubbed elbows with the rich and famous, with radicals and renegades. I have tangled with ancient spirits and even more ancient demons. What is it that you wish to learn?"

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Training with Changeling

Pepper rolls her eyes at Changeling's bragging or exaggeration, whichever it might be. It'd hardly be the first time she's dealt with a self-aggrandizing person. Then she considers his question for a moment. Finally she smirks a bit, looking at the phantasmal cards, and replies, "Let's start with how to bluff."

18. - Top - End - #258

Lucren Novida, aka Smoke

Adventures in Tailoring Stitching?

"Ah, yes. I don't do well hiding pain, a bit of a personal weakness. I will take you up on that offer to meet one of friends."

Lucren smiles lightly as he ponders the nature of Sitre's friend.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Sitre nods and hails a cab, which they take across Bowmore Bridge and through Brighstone and across another bridge into Six Tower to the edge of Mistshore park. She leads the way into the underbrush and stops a moment at a certain tree. She looks up at its leaves, perhaps examining something, and then traces a pattern against its bark. A few moments later a small white rabbit hops out of the bushes and she follows after it along a path Smoke could swear wasn't there before. The rabbit leads them to a large tree with yellow and blue vines wrapped around it. Walking around the tree to one side they then can see a short flight of stairs and a door in the tree itself. There are also numerous windows with potted plants and other things sitting in the window sills.
    Sitre walks up the stairs and knocks on the door, knowing her friend is home already as otherwise the rabbit would have lead them right back out of the park.

20. - Top - End - #260

ClericGuy

Arden, having found a small lead, heads off into the streets further, looking for this corrupt Bluecoat. (But then again, are there any who are not?) He smiles to himself as he whistles on his walk through the city, on the lookout for the Bluecoat he saw in the papers. Eventually, upon finding him, he approaches him carefully, and quietly, and simply asks him if he knows about the Anglers, if the answer is positive, Arden will offer up the coin, simply telling the Bluecoat to "perhaps you and your fellows could forget them, or lose some files,", implying that the pressures of the job are perhaps enough to make such a small oversight understandable.

With his task completed, he returns to the docks, with the paper in hand to explain what he has done to the others.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The door opens of its own accord, and you can see Quellyn inside, humming softly as she goes about her work. She looks up as you cross the threshold. "Sitre, so good to see you again. And your friend. I hope you haven't been getting into too much trouble?" She takes a jar from a shelf, opens the lid and sniffs it. She puts the cap back on and places it on the counter. "For your friend, three silver. And a word of caution, for free. Try to duck next time."

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Sitre gives Qwellen an amused smile and as she steps in she asks, "Do you have any more of that blue tea?"

23. - Top - End - #263

Lucren Novida, aka Smoke

Adventures in Tailoring Stitching?

Lucren hands her three silver and carefully removes his jacket and shirt. He folds the clothing and places it on a nearby table. Qwellen grabs a squat glass jar from a shelf and removes the cap. She approaches Lucren and begins to gently apply the salve. Lucren winces as she does so, which gives her pause and then she continues with a chuckle.

Lucren lets out a sigh as she finishes. He gives Qwellen a sheepish look and says, "I'll be sure to heed your advice for the future."

Spoiler: Healing
    Show

I'm not sure what I need to roll here, but I think it is three dice (2 for my stat and 1 for Sitre's friend). If I've rolled too many, ignore the last dice.
    (3d6)[6][5][4](15)

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A couple of days go by. Rumors of the gang war are on everyone's lips. Brawls in the street, suspicious fires. But then one of the fierce nor'easters rolls in from the cold sea. Several days of bitter winds and thick fogs, cold, dark rain. It puts down the war faster than any official presence can. Puts a stop to a lot of business in the city, honestly, nobody in their right minds would want to go out in this. So it is some surprise when Elynn shows up at the Anglerfish, cloak wrapped around his shoulders, cap dripping water on his head. He says, "Oy, what a mess? Got some work for yinz, if'n you're ready for it. Got some tramp steamer, The Ilysian Princess off the roadstead. They been usin' scabs for work. Those thieving bastards. Never had a chance to get them, til now. They sent a boat in before the storm, but it's too messy for lighters to make it out, and they're too cheap to use honest labor at the docks. I want yinz ta take your wherry out there soon as the weather lets up. Figure out what they're unloading, and if you can, steal it out from under them. If you can't steal it, sink it. Teach them the dangers of not usin' the right workers. I'll make sure ya get [4 COIN] for the work, and if'n you can grab what they're offloadin', I'll help you dispose of it. We can split that in half. They're anchored about half a mile off North Hook light. You'll need a steady hand for this kinda work, I know a guy who can help mind the boat with ya."
    Last edited by dojango; 2018-06-27 at 10:24 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265

ClericGuy

Arden returns to the boat, a small smile playing at his lips.

"I have returned. I believe I have done enough to at least throw the Bluecoats of our scent somewhat. Are you happy enough for me to look through some of your Arcane artifacts now?"

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Pepper and Ifrit gather together with Smoke. There is some hushed discussion, assessing if the new guy proved they were useful. Or at least they give off the appearance that they're doing so. After a few minutes, Pepper calls out, "Yeah you're ok. Come aboard."

27. - Top - End - #267

ClericGuy

Arden bows deeply and steps on to the boat.

"Thank you. I look forward to working with you all. Now, lets have a look at those crates of good shall we? Have any of you had a look yourselves? Perhaps I could read your notes to give me a leg up?"

He climbs on board the boat. Having a look around before heading into the cargo hold to look at the various different objects in there. He begins to Study the artefacts to see what he can discover about them.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The four crates of artifacts that react with the ghost field have no particular rhyme or reason to them. Someone clearly identified them as such, and must have seperated them out from whatever haul they had found. One of the crates has 6 long, smooth glass rods. They have copper 'claws' on the end. It also has four misshapen clay bowls
    One has a statue of a winged woman with clawed feet. She is holding a metal rod and a glass flower in her hands. Also there is a long silk scarf folded up, embroidered with what appears to be prayers. Also a ritual chalice and a long glass knife.
    The third crate has mummified body parts in it. Human and animal. Some unadorned, others chased with gold and silver and copper filigree.
    The forth crate only has a wrapped object in it, about a foot long. Every time you approach it, you feel queasy. So far it has remained in its wrapping.
    Arden reviews the artifacts in the crates. The crew had taken a quick survey of them, but hasn't had a chance to do much in-depth research. Since his patron had asked him to look for a human left-forearm, Arden starts with the third crate. A few of the talismans are merely demonsbane or spiritbane charms. Powerful ones, but fairly mundane as these things go. Certainly there might be a buyer for such things, or perhaps the crew could find a use for them. Those are set aside. The two items that most resemble Arden's target are human hand, cut smoothly about halfway down the forearm. It is wrapped in a dirty silk cloth, with a few runes printed on it in silver thread. The mummified flesh is mostly hidden under the wrapping. It certainly feels powerful. The second one is a specimen from the elbow up; the bones are held together with gold wire and the flesh has been covered by lacquer. Bits of obsidian have replaced the fingernails. Doctor Johnson seemed to think that this was related to the Kotari artifacts; whether or not it is genuine is the question. It may require additional research about the legendary sorcerer. There is also a human jawbone, with strange protruding fangs. They seem a natural part of the jaw. Finally, there are a few animal skulls, embossed with copper runes. They seem to be runes of protection, of binding. They softly hum with repressed power.

After a while, the closeness of the quarters and the strange aura from the fourth box grow too oppressive. As Arden leaves the hold and goes to the top deck, the resident spirit drifts closer to him. "So, found anything interesting? I don't know how you all can stand getting so close to it. It screams with alien menace. Perhaps you can't hear it with your mortal senses, but... I've not seen the like in... well, ever. And I've seen a lot."

Spoiler
    Show
    Catalogue Box 3: 5/8

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

"How about we just take the whole boat? I'm sure we can re-purpose it." Pepper suggests.

30. - Top - End - #270

ClericGuy

Arden looks up from his cataloguing.

"What whole boat? I feel like I may be missing some crucial pieces of this conversation."

He looks back at his notes and continues writing them, now also paying attention to the rest of the group's discussion.