New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Updating/making more dragons. (I'm going to need a lot of PEACHING.)

Here goes nothing.
    Over the course of this thread, I am going to attempt to update (or create) a lot of dragons. A list will be provided at the bottom of this post.
    The issue here is, most of these dragons are from 2nd AD&D, if they exist at all. Too an extent, this thread is for my own use, as I will be at some point running a campaign focusing mainly on dragons. But of course, I would quite enjoy both help, and anyone else wanting to use any of this nonsense. I'll be constantly revising and improving this thread for a long time too come.
    With that out of the way, here is my (currently absurd) endgoal:
    Spoiler: Priorities
    Show
    Priority zero: Outline the draconic lore I will be using, as I use a lore that combines the Great One lore with Bahamut and Tiamat, and an understanding of this is needed for some later elements.

Priority one:
    Updating the Ferrous dragons:
    Chrome, Cobalt, Nickle, Iron, Tungsten, and finally Groglathor.

Priority two: Updating the lesser known and only appearing in Dragon #100, the lesser gem dragons.
    Pearl, Jacinth, Jade.

Priority three: Creating my little project, the Igneous dragons. A chaotic group too complete the set of alignments.
    Amber, Ivory, Coral, Coal.

Priority four: Updating the lesser Chromatic and Metallic dragons.
    Yellow, Purple/Deep, Brown, Grey, Fang, Steel, Mercury.

Priority five: Create stats for the Dragon autarchs.
    Sun, moon, star, (Probably not the Great One.)

Priority six: Update the Lindworms.

Priority whenever asked: Provide people with links too all previously existing dragons, mostly found on the lomion site, and/or dragon numbers, too prove my sanity.

Well then. If anyone knows if anyone else on this site has already created any of these, I would love to see.

Spoiler: credit where credit is due.
    Show
    Coral has already been partly outlined at a homebrewery page that I have found, though the author is currently unknown, and may or may not be on this site. Link found here: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByHpEMRxZ
    The original idea for the igneous dragons (If not the name) goes here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archi.../t-161436.html
    The major gem dragons were already outlined, better than I could ever hope to achieve, by Gnomes2169 here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...gon-conversion

With that, I transition too lore.

Spoiler: Lore
    Show
    Like I said earlier, I have created a fusion of the Great One and Bahamut/Tiamat lores. It goes like this:
    There exist, five draconic autarchs, each taking one of the alignment aspects. I'm calling them autarchs because I have no better names. They are:
    The sun dragon, lord of law, autarch of the ferrous dragons. (Alternatively, replace them with Groglathor.) The moon dragon, lord of chaos and autarch of the igneous dragons, a small set of dragons I created to finish out the alignments. The star dragon, lord of neutrality and autarch of the gem dragons.
    (Alternatively, replace them with Sardior.) The platinum dragon, Bahamut, lord of good and autarch of the metallic dragons. The chromatic (or titanium) dragon, Tiamat, lord of evil and autarch of chromatic dragons. But all of these dragons are subservient too one true, draconic deity: The Great One, lord of all and autarch of all dragonkind. (Statistcally, the Great One is a major deity, and the level of the autarchs doesn't much matter. I personally say they are lesser, but demigods or even more greater deities also work, if you want to pump up or down the threat level.) The interesting thing, is that these gods can die. Yes, even the Great One. After they are struck down, a new autarch/Great One is selected through a method determined by the previous autarch before their death. Bahamut and Tiamat are simply the current Platinum and Chromatic dragons. This causes a noticeable drop in the appearances of this classification of dragon for a time. The Great One competition is held among the Autarchs.
    Oh, and I swapped the obsidian dragon over too the igneous section instead of gem. If you want too add some story where obsidian was exiled from the gems but joined the igneous, fine by me.
    Last edited by Fire Tarrasque; 2018-02-13 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Lore time.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Updating/making more dragons. (I'm going to need a lot of PEACHING.)

Rather than specify 'igneous', maybe call them 'stone' dragons. That way you can go the whole gamut from Sandstone (Sedimentary) to Marble (Metamorphic) to Scoria (Igneous). After all, chaotic-based dragons shouldn't have a narrow pigeonhole.
    Last edited by Crisis21; 2018-02-14 at 12:35 PM.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Updating/making more dragons. (I'm going to need a lot of PEACHING.)

It's clearly the worst name out of the five, but I named it that because it just sounds better. Furthermore, most of the dragons aren't stone, or igneous rock at all. It's obsidian and that's pretty much it.
    This would be up much sooner, but I had a bit of an emergency. Not saying anything else about it, but it kind of ate my day.
    Really ate my day.

Starting from the bottom up.

Nickel Dragon.

Spoiler: Wyrmling
    Show

Nickel Dragon Wyrmling
    Medium dragon, chaotic neutral. (Yes, really. Change at your leisure. I certainly will.)

Armor Class: 16 (natural armor)
    Hit Points: 24 (4d8+7)
    Speed: 30ft, fly 60ft
    Str: 14
    Dex: 10
    Con: 13
    Int: 7
    Wis: 11
    Cha: 12
    Saving throws: Dex + 2, Con +3, Wis+2, Cha+2
    Skills: Perception +4, Stealth +2
    Damage Immunities: Acid
    Senses: Blindsight 10ft, darkvision 60ft, passive perception 14
    Languages: Draconic
    Challenge: 2

The dragon can breath underwater.
    Actions:
    Bite: Meele weapon attack, +4 to hit, reach 5ft, one target. Hit: 7 (1d10+2) piercing plus 1d4 acid damage
    Acidic vapor breath: (Recharge 5-6) The dragon exhales a 10 long, 6.67 feet high and wide cloud of acidic vapors. All creatures caught in the cloud must make a DC 13 constitution saving throw, or take 4d8 acid damage, half on a successful save.

Spoiler: Young
    Show

Young Nickel Dragon
    Large Dragon, Chaotic Neutral.
    Armor Class: 17 (Natural Armor)
    Hit Points: 125 (14d10+56)
    Speed: 40 ft, fly 120 ft, swim 40 ft.
    Str: 18
    Con: 17
    Int: 14
    Wis: 11
    Cha: 12

Saving Throws: Dex +4, Con +7, Wis +3, Cha +4.
    Skills: Perception +6, Stealth +3, Persuasion +1, History +2.
    Damage Immunities: Acid
    Senses: Blindsight 30ft, Darkvision 120ft, Passive perception 16.
    Languages: Common, Draconic
    Challenge: 6

Amphibious: The Nickel Dragon can breath in air and water.
    Resist Fire: The dragon may grant itself fire resistance three times per long rest, for two turns each.

Actions:
    Multiattack: The dragon may make the standard claw/claw/bite routine.
    Bite: Melee weapon attack: +7 to hit, reach 10ft, one target. Hit: 15 (2d10+4) piercing damage plus 2 (1d4) acid damage.
    Claw: +7 to hit, reach 5ft, one target. Hit: 11 (2d6+4) slashing damage.
    Acidic Vapor breath (Recharge 5-6): The dragon exhales a blast of acidic vapors in a 20 ft long, 13 ft wide and high rectangle. Each creature in the area must make a DC 15 constitution saving throw, taking 45 (10d8) acid damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful save.

Spoiler: Adult
    Show

Adult Nickel Dragon
    Huge dragon, Chaotic Neutral.
    Armor class: 18 (Natural Armor)
    Hit Points: 188 (16d12+76)
    Speed: 40ft, fly 120ft, swim 40ft.
    Str: 22
    Con: 21
    Int: 14
    Wis: 12
    Cha: 14

Saving Throws: Dex +5, Con +10, Wis +6, Cha +7.
    Skills: Perception +11, Stealth +5, History +7, Persuasion +2.
    Damage Immunities: Acid.
    Senses: Blindsight 60ft, darkvision 120ft, passive perception 21.
    Languages: Common, Draconic.
    Challenge: 13

Amphibious: The dragon may breath both air and water.
    Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If the dragon fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
    Fire Resistance: Three times a day, the dragon may grant itself fire resistance without using legendary actions. The resistance lasts for two rounds.

Actions: Multiattack: The dragon may use it's Frightful Presence, and then make the Claw/Claw/Bite routine.
    Bite: Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 10ft, one target. Hit: 17 (2d10+6) piercing damage, plus 3(1d6) acid damage.
    Claw: Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 5ft, one target. Hit: 13 (2d6+6) slashing damage.
    Tail: Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 15ft, one target. Hit: 15 (2d8+6) bludgeoning damage.
    Frightful Presence: Each creature of the dragon's choice with 120ft the dragon is aware of must succeed on a DC 14 wisdom save, or become frightened for one minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of it's turns, ending the effect on a success. If a creature succeeds on any of the saving throws, it is immune too the dragon's frightful presence for 24 hours.
    Acidic vapor breath: The dragon exhales a rectangle 30' long, and 20' high and wide. Every creature in that area must make a DC 19 constitution saving throw, taking 50 (11d8) on a failed save, or half as much on a successful one.
    Confusion: Once per rest, the dragon may cast Confusion as a 5th level spell.

Legendary Actions:
    Detect: The dragon makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.
    Tail Attack: The dragon makes a tail attack.
    Wing Attack (Costs 2 actions): The dragon beats it's wings. Each creature within 10 feet of the dragon must succeed on a DC 19 Dexterity saving throw or take 13 (2d6+6) bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone. The dragon can then fly up to half it's flying speed.
    Fire Resistance (Costs 3 actions): The dragon grants itself fire resistance for the remainder of the turn.

Spoiler: Ancient
    Show

Ancient Nickel Dragon
    Gargantuan dragon, chaotic neutral
    Armor Class: 20 (Natural Armor)
    Hit Points: 307 (18d20+119)
    Speed: 40ft, fly 120ft, swim 40ft.

Str: 26
    Con: 25
    Int: 18
    Wis: 14
    Cha: 16

Saving throws: Dex +6, Con +14, Wis +7, CHA +9
    Skills: Perception +13, Stealth +6, History +9, Persuasion +3
    Damage Immunities: Cold
    Senses: Blindsight 60ft, darkvision 120ft, passive Perception 23.
    Languages: Common, Draconic.
    Challenge: 20

Amphibious: The dragon can breath air and water.
    Legendary Resistance: If the dragon fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
    Fire resistance: Three times a day, as a free action, the dragon may grant itself resistance to fire. This resistance lasts for three turns.

Actions: Multiattack: The dragon can use it's Frightful Presence. It then makes three attacks: One with it's bite, and two with it's claws.
    Bite: Melee Weapon Attack, +14 to hit, reach 15ft, one target. Hit: 19 (2d10+8) piercing damage plus 4 (1d8) acid damage.
    Claw: Melee Weapon Attack, +14 to hit, reach 10ft, one target. Hit: 15 (2d6+8) slashing damage.
    Tail: Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 20ft, one target. Hit: 17 (2d8+8) bludgeoning damage.
    Frightful Presence: Each creature of the dragon's choice that is within 120 feet of the dragon that it is aware of must succeed on a DC 16 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful, or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the dragon's Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.
    Acidic Vapor Breath: The dragon exhales an acidic vapor in a 40' long, 26' wide and high rectangle. Each creature in that area must make a DC 22 constitution saving throw, taking 65 (13d8) acid damage.
    Confusion: The dragon may cast confusion as a 5th level spell, twice for rest.
    Affect Normal Fires: The dragon may use affect normal fires twice per day, at double normal strength.
    Assume Vaporous Form: The dragon may assume gaseous form, as per the spell.

Legendary Actions:
    Detect: The dragon makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.
    Tail Attack: The dragon makes a tail attack.
    Wing Attack (Costs two actions): The dragon beats its wings. Each creature within 15 feet of the dragon must succeed on a DC 22 Dexterity saving throw or take 15 (2d6+8) bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone. The dragon can then fly up to half it's flying speed.
    Fire resistance (Costs three actions): The dragon grants itself fire resistance for the turn.

Congrats. You have one dragon.
    Out of many more than one.
    This is going to take a very long time.
    Last edited by Fire Tarrasque; 2018-02-18 at 07:04 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

NEXT UP!

TUNGSTEN DRAGON!
    One quick note first: Sorry for the delay. (He said to no one.)
    Spoiler: Optional rule
    Show

The Tungsten Dragon's breath weapon is nasty. A blast of sand is going to get all over your armor, and that's not going to buff out.
    For every failed save against the Tungsten Dragon's breath weapon, anyone wearing heavy armor will have their AC reduced by two, or if in medium armor, reduced by one. During a rest, a character may remove the sand from their armor, thus halving the AC debuff for heavy armor, or completely removing it for medium.
    If this rule is used, raise the dragon's challenge rating by one.
    Last edited by Fire Tarrasque; 2018-02-24 at 10:07 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Tarrasque View Post
    NEXT UP!

TUNGSTEN DRAGON!
    One quick note first: Sorry for the delay. (He said to no one.)
    Spoiler: Optional rule
    Show

The Tungsten Dragon's breath weapon is nasty. A blast of sand is going to get all over your armor, and that's not going to buff out.
    For every failed save against the Tungsten Dragon's breath weapon, anyone wearing heavy armor will have their AC reduced by two, or if in medium armor, reduced by one. During a rest, a character may remove the sand from their armor, thus halving the AC debuff for heavy armor, or completely removing it for medium.
    If this rule is used, raise the dragon's challenge rating by one.
    Eh... Either it's ACTIVELY DEGRADING the armor, in which case you'd need to repair it with tools and metals, or it's just getting sand in the cracks-uncomfortable, but hardly going to make it less effective.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

It's not to my understanding normal sand, it is burning hot sand that is physically melding itself to the armor. A stream of sand isn't really going to hurt anyone that badly. A stream of burning hot sand, will. The idea also originates with the youtuber A.J Picket and his monster ecology video.