A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [OOC] A "New to 5e" run of Lost Mines of Phandelver

This is the Out Of Character thread for a 5e introductory experience of Lost Mines of Phandelver.

Link to In Character thread.
    Link to Dice Rolling thread.
    Link to original recruiting thread.

I do prefer to have a separate dice rolling thread, though you are free to post your rolls here. I would rather players roll out of character before making an in-character post so that they can describe their actions or responses to checks without waiting on a roll or double posting. The dice thread also has all of my rolls for creatures and NPCs, should you feel interested in seeing what luck you were up against after a fight.

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show
    1.What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium,GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic,Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Dungeons& Dragons, 5thEdition

2.What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers"or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting forthe game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaignsetting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Lost Mines of Phandelver. Forgotten Realms setting. But, you don't really need to worry about that.

3.How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates,and if so, how many?

The adventure is designed for 4 players. I can roll with 5 or 6 if there are a lot of new players that haven't had the chance to try 5e. The first three posters in this thread are already locked in, barring a sudden disappearance.

4.What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Play-by-posthere on GitP. Character sheets on Mythweavers.Make sure they are public, not private.

5.What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experiencelevel)?

Level 1. 0 starting XP.

6. Howmuch gold or other starting funds will the characters beginwith?

The starting equipment and gold from your class and background. You may spend it before the game on anything int he player handbook.

7.Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc.that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige'and/or homebrewed classes?

Play whatever you want. Don't worry about meta's or specific roles. No homebrew. Multiclassing is allowed.

8.What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Willyou allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races orspecies?

Nohomebrew races. Keep it to player handbook only.

9.By what method should Players generate their attributes/abilityscores and Hit Points?

Start with max hitpoints. Take the average on level-up. Ability scores will be determined by the 27-point-buy system on page 13 of the PHB.

10.Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Alignment has almost no mechanical effect in 5e, and certainly none in this module. Although, keep your cleric's alignment close to your deities. The only restriction/requirement here is that your character be loyal to the party--no stealing from or murdering party members.

11.Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regardsto it?

This module only goes through level 4. You'll miss out on your only feat if you multiclass, but you are free to do so.

12.Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of thegame? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? Ifplayers can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should theymake the rolls, and how should they report them?

Youwill generally make your own combat rolls. I will post non-playerrolls in instances where you may have the opportunity to alter them(attack rolls and the shield spell, being a divination wizard orpossessing the Lucky feat). However, I willmake your rolls for things such as illusions and perception, to avoidthe "pass the idiot ball" problem when you know you didterrible but your character doesn't, or when knowing there's a rollat all will affect your decisions. I will roll initiative for all tosave time, and will allow you to use any feature that can allow are-roll in a retcon if needed. I tend to keep a separate dice rolling thread for my sake, so that I don't fill up the main thread and so that you can confirm what I rolled if something seems way off (because I have had those 1/8000 moments of triple crits and triple crit fails).

13.Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Playersshould know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevantlinks to learn about these new rules.

Variant human is allowed. Although I've run flanking rules before, it is optional, and I'll ask the final group about their preference on it.

14. Is acharacter background required? If so, how big? Are you looking foranything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with thecharacters in the same city)?

You can keep it simple, as you are all starting at level 1; aim for a paragraph. Have the following four questions in mind, though: How does your character know the party (and your employer/friend, Gundren Rockseeker, who has asked the lot of you to haul some mining supplies to a town where he's made a discovery); why are you adventuring; what might your character be afraid of (can be abstract); do you have a nemesis? Basically, include why you are with these people in your party, and one potential hook for a sidequest / NPC that isn't in the module, so I can add a personal touch for each character.

15.Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving,roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

A good mix of all of these elements.

16.Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements,or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sourcescan Players use for their characters?

Let's keep it to the Player's Handbook only, as this is for first-timers to 5e. I will also allow the Revised Ranger.

Spoiler: Lore Links
    Show

Spoiler: MAPS
    Show

At the time of posting, there are 5 complete character sheets, and one additional player that may still be included as the game progresses.

Our cast, peoples:
    Player Character Class AC PP Init.
    inexorabletruth Carric Holimion Ranger 16 14 3
    scalyfreak Riesa Olphander Bard 13 13 2
    Lizard Lord Bimpnotten Rogue 14 16 3
    missmvicious Wanderlust Barbarian 14 12 2
    spinningdice Sevella Yrosh Druic 11 12 0
    Xeno929 Kaiden Vega Wizard 13 10 +3
    Aleister VII Pain Emberstone Monk 16 15 +3

Spoiler: Stand-by
    Show

Player Character Class AC PP Init.
    inexorabletruth Carric Holimion Ranger 16 14 3
    ZeroSpace9000 Ardis Black Fighter 18 13 2
    scalyfreak Riesa Olphander Bard 13 13 2
    Squadfather42 Jergen Rohmner Fighter 19M 13 1
    Lizard Lord Bimpnotten Rogue 14 16 3
    missmvicious Wanderlust Barbarian 14 2

The last thing I'd like, before we all get started and I post the IC thread, is for a roll-call from the five six players. Just post in this thread sometime by...Let's say Friday night / Saturday morning.
    Last edited by Cap'm Bubbles; 2018-03-23 at 06:30 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: [OOC] A "New to 5e" run of Lost Mines of Phandelver

Carric Holimion, reporting for duty! My posting color is dark red, please and thank you.

Also, a link to my character sheet is in my signature, for convenience.

Now posting as DM as of 4/5/2018. My posting color is still dark red.

Here is where I will include a PC and NPC Dossier, as well as Lore and Map updates.

New Cast of Players and Characters (in alphabetic order):
    scalyfreak as Riesa Olphander
    spinningdice as Sevella Yrosh
    Xeno929 as Kaiden Vega

Spoiler: NPC Dossier (in alphabetic order
    Show

(The) Cragmaw Tribe of Goblins has established a hideout from which it can easily harass and plunder traffic moving along the Triboar Trail or the path to Phandalin. The Cragmaw tribe is so named because each member of the tribe sharpens its teeth so they appear fierce and jagged.

Gundren Rockseeker is a dwarven business man. His business interests are many and varied but recently involve an unknown source of potential revenue near Phandalin. Working with his brothers Tharden and Nundro, and a veteran warrior named Sildar Hallwinter, Gundren decided to recruit help from Neverwinter. En route to Phandelver he was waylaid by a band of goblins known as the Cragmaw Tribe and taken captive. It is suggested that he is alive... for now.

Klarg is the leader of the Cragmaw Tribe. Gundren and Sildar have been taken to his court in the Cragmaw Hideout for unknown reasons.

Sildar Hallwinter is a kindhearted human male of nearly fifty years who holds a place of honor in the famous Griffon Cavalry of the great city of Waterdeep. Sildar met Gundren Rockseeker in Neverwinter and agreed to accompany him back to Phandalin. Along the way he was captured by the Cragmaw Tribe.

Spoiler: Lore
    Show
    TBD

Maps
    Spoiler: The Sword Coast
    Show

Official Language List:
    Spoiler: Common
    Show
    Dwarven: Armenian
    Elven: Gaelic (Irish)
    Gnomish: Dutch
    Orc: Serbian
    Halfling: Spanish

Spoiler: Other Languages (in alphabetic order)
    Show

Draconic: German
    Goblin: Turkish
    Yuan-Ti: French
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2018-06-29 at 10:15 AM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

So i posted this in the old thread but so we know fo sho

Thanks for bearing with me. I was at work for literally 13 hours and then back at work 8 hours later.
    I have like the gist of my character sheet but I am still transposing it in mythweavers.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1494430

And I'd like to call dark purple.
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lydia Deshayes, Socially Awkward Necromancer with a Broken Heart
    Wanderlust, a free spirited, hammer weilding barbarian.

4. - Top - End - #4

BlueKnightGuy

Jergen Rohmner here, I'll post in Teal.

5. - Top - End - #5

ElfRogueGirl

Riesa will post in green.

Holy milktoast, that hurt my eyes.

I will post in this green instead.

And just so we're clear, I'm the only caster in the group? I kind of missed that earlier. Expect me to stand far back from any fighting that takes place. Far behind some of the big fighter types.
    Last edited by scalyfreak; 2018-02-15 at 01:00 AM.
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

My Player Registry Entry

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Lol, if it helps, I hope to eventually be able to cast. I'll be somewhere towards the back shooting off arrows with you, so you won't be alone.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

7. - Top - End - #7

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by inexorabletruth View Post
    Lol, if it helps, I hope to eventually be able to cast. I'll be somewhere towards the back shooting off arrows with you, so you won't be alone.
    It's more a matter of my spell selection and usage. As a bard I'm not a pure/prolific caster - I have two spell slots before I need a long rest and I only get one additional spell per new level. Though it makes sense now that Capm suggested I take Healing Word as a 1st level spell....

FYI, I really have no interest in becoming a heal bot or use all my spell slots for healing. (If I wanted that, I'd have played a Cleric.) That said, I'm not going to let anyone die just to make a point. Just setting expectations, before we get started.
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

My Player Registry Entry

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

With all the healing surges, relative tankiness of the group, and some judicious use of common sense in combat settings, I'm pretty sure we can make it. Campaigns are more fun without healbots, I think. It adds a sense of mortality you can't usually get in traditional healer/striker/tank formations.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Also, I will be getting some spellcasting later, even if it's only Abjuration and Evocation. Eldritch Knight and all.

Anyways, I will be using orange for Ardis' speech unless it's already claimed.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Bimpnotten Struggleduck Scheppen here, though I'm not able to choose a font color for some reason.

Even though I am on my laptop this site (and only this site) is displaying as it would if it were on my phone.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Did you accidentally click "Mobile Friendly" version?

I accidentally did that once. It was tricky to get back out, and it was terrible the whole time. I don't even use the mobile friendly version on my cell phone or tablet.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

12. - Top - End - #12

ElfRogueGirl

Campaigns are more fun without healbots, I think. It adds a sense of mortality you can't usually get in traditional healer/striker/tank formations.
    Agreed! And it has the benefit of my not having to retcon Riesa's personality, since she really isn't the most naturally nurturing of people...

I accidentally did that once. It was tricky to get back out, and it was terrible the whole time. I don't even use the mobile friendly version on my cell phone or tablet.
    Preaching to the choir here. The mobile version has less than a third of the functionality of the full version and is absolutely terrible. I have to manually navigate to the first unread post in a thread I'm subscribed to? Seriously? Time-warp to 2001....

My Player Registry Entry

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I don't recall doing that. Do you remember how you got out of it?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Sadly, I do not. I tried so many things to get out of mobile version that I can't remember the thing that finally got me out.

You could try clearing your history, then navigating specifically to www.giantitp.com to see if it gives you the option to use the mobile version, then emphatically choose "no".

Other than that, I suggest going to the Board/Site Issues Forum.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

15. - Top - End - #15

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    I don't recall doing that. Do you remember how you got out of it?
    Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page. There's a link to "Full Site".

My Player Registry Entry

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ah, okay. Bimpnotten Stumbleduck Scheppen (because I like saying the whole thing) shall be speaking in this color.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

LOL! The color of a previously viewed link. I am amused and looking forward to confusing myself in that regard. It's perfect for a mischievous gnome.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

18. - Top - End - #18

ElfRogueGirl

I am looking forward to discovering that the phrase "Bimpnotten Stumbleduck Scheppen" actually is an insult in an obscure goblinoid dialect, and can be used for Cutting Words later in the game...

My Player Registry Entry

19. - Top - End - #19

So today was the last day in a grueling 8 day work week. So glad to finally be off. I'm going to finish putting my sheet on mythweavers tonight/tomorrow and I'll be ready to rock! Get it? Rock? Cause Goliaths are into rocks.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oof, that's rough. I've done that once or twice, generally because I needed a specific day off or something like that.

21. - Top - End - #21

ElfRogueGirl

Question: Will there be rules about posting frequency? Or requirements?

My Player Registry Entry

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

@Everyone
    I've posted both the In-character Thread and the Dice Rolling thread. Both links have been added to the original post in this thread. You can use this (OOC) thread or the dice thread for your rolls; I can keep track of both. You do not have to keep track of the dice thread.

Also @Everyone
    Posting frequency is tough for larger groups to make consistent. Here's what I prefer:
    I promise to respond to any player's post within 48 hours.
    In combat, I require the next player character to respond within 24 hours of the last post made by another player, or 48 hours from my own post, whichever gives the player more time.
    If you do not respond within either of these time constraints, I will take what I think is the most appropriate action for you (which will not consume resources).
    I do side-initiative for play-by-post combat, because it is much faster and no player has to wait on another.
    If the party is not in combat, I do not have posting requirements. You may take as much of an active or passive roleplay as you wish. The game and conversation will, however, move on without your input.
    During downtime, it is possible for players to split up and go at their own pace. I can handle each player's downtime separately, or together. If one players pace of posting is so much slower than the others and "it's time to move on," I will try to finish that downtime with a PM conversation, posting details after. If I'm unable to get a hold of said player, they will be fast-forwarded to the party.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSpace9000 View Post
    Oof, that's rough. I've done that once or twice, generally because I needed a specific day off or something like that.
    I'm a general manager at work and its been like this for months. I'm dying.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

@missmvicious
    I hope things get a little more relaxed soon, but I'm glad you've at last got your time off.

Although you've got time to fill in other stuff on your character sheet as we go along, I do need to know what skills you will be taking, and what your mechanical background is. Well, actually, what I really need to know is whether or not you choose Perception a a skill. If you need any help with 5e's character sheet, let me know.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'm Bubbles View Post
    @missmvicious
    I hope things get a little more relaxed soon, but I'm glad you've at last got your time off.

Although you've got time to fill in other stuff on your character sheet as we go along, I do need to know what skills you will be taking, and what your mechanical background is. Well, actually, what I really need to know is whether or not you choose Perception a a skill. If you need any help with 5e's character sheet, let me know.
    I'm working on that at the moment. It feels really different from 3.5 so I was going to ask if someone could help me make sure its filled out correctly and legally (-equipment as I haven't done that part yet.).
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

*starts vibrating with excitement*

I can't wait to start! Gonna shoot some goblins in the face!

Oh, this is so refreshing. D&D 3.5 suffers from a glut of players without DMs, so I'm basically always the DM in my gaming circles. Don't get me wrong. I like running campaigns, but it's a lot of work. And for once, I'd like to take in someone else's world, and just enjoy the environment.

And shoot some goblins in the face.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

27. - Top - End - #27

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by missmvicious View Post
    I'm a general manager at work and its been like this for months. I'm dying.
    One word: Delegate.

Wheee, IC thread is up! Let the IC fluff conversations begin!

My Player Registry Entry

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

@missmvicious
    No problem. Here's what I'd say from what you've got so far:
    Spoiler
    Show

Although your stat choices are up to you, I'm going to HIGHLY recommend taking 2 points from either Intelligence or Charisma in order to buy 15 in constitution (which race boosts to 16). The end result is a higher constitution, hitpoint pool, and armor class, at the cost of one point less in skills your teammates cover.

Alright, so you've gone with Barbarian Outlander.
    Spoiler: Outlander
    Show
    Your starting equipment from Outlander would be:
    A staff,
    a hunting trap,
    a trophy from an animal you killed,
    a set of travelerís clothes,
    and a belt pouch containing 10 gp

The skills you get from it are Athletics (str) and Survival (wis)

Spoiler: Barbarian
    Show

Two skills from Animal Handling, Athletics, Intimidation, Nature, Perception, and Survival.
    ***However, if a player gets the same skill from two sources (athletics and nature are in both Barbarian and Outlander), then the duplicate skill can be ANY skill.

Starting Equipment:
    Any martial melee weapon (you chose warhammer)
    (a) two handaxes or (b) any simple weapon (probably a bow or crossbow)
    An explorerís pack
    Four javelins

From both of those spoilers, it's determine that you will have four skills in total, two of them being Athletics and Survival. You wrote a bonus on your page for Perception, which leaves the last one up to you.

Your proficiency bonus (+2) is indicated by checkboxes next to skills and saving throws that you are proficient in. You've got most of that, there just needs a bit of adjusting once you finalize stats and skills.

The last thing I'd want to cover is your weapon and equipment selection. You've chosen Warhammer as your martial weapon. As far as "big hammer barbarian" goes, there are two main choices: warhammer and shield, or Maul (which is a bigger warhammer requiring two hands).

If you want the shield and warhammer route, it would cost your starting 10 gold from Outlander, would give you +2 AC, and the warhammer would do 1d8+3 damage.
    If you chose the Maul instead of warhammer, you would have the same AC, keep your starting gold, and the weapon would do 2d6+3 damage.
    The "versatile" property is really meant to help classes that can't use martial weapons, and does virtually nothing for a barbarian, fighter, paladin, or ranger.

You have a choice or either (2) handaxes or one simple weapon. The handaxes are used either for dual-wielding to get two attacks at level 1, and are also thrown weapons (albeit with a shorter range than javelins).
    If you chose to pick a simple weapon, it would be to do something that the handaxes can't, which is long range. In such a case, the light crossbow or shortbow would be a good choice as well (and the crossbow is better than the shortbow until level 5). There's not a bad choice between those options.

29. - Top - End - #29

ElfRogueGirl

Mechanics question: Am I expected to track ammunition for my crossbow?

That seems like something I should know before we get into our first combat-situation.

My Player Registry Entry

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Honestly, in my years of playing, not once has a player ever approached the bottom of a 20-arrow quiver. As such, I just don't bother unless there's a siege scenario (and there is NOT in this module).

Don't worry about ammunition.
    DO keep track of thrown weapons. Those do run out and have to be retrieved.