Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: E6 Appetizer Edition (Round VI)

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    Weird is fine with me, as long as it's at least somewhat flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    The last couple of rounds have been classes with a defined role but issues fulfilling it kind of like what you describe, so Id say now is a good time for an oddball class. Count me as a Weird vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falontani View Post
    I like being weird
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    weird is fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiKirah View Post
    I am 100% on board with weird!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    Let's get weird.
    Ask and ye shall receive, my friends.

Welcome back to the reborn Iron Chef Optimization Challenge E6 Appetizer Edition! I'm feeling the momentum, so let's keep it going with a weird round!

The form of this challenge is to take a particular D&D 3.5 class (our "secret ingredient," or SI) and turn it into a functional E6 build, which must feature the SI as heavily as possible. (The only hard rule about this is that you must take at least one level in the SI, though judges are encouraged to look favorably on builds that take all or almost all of their levels in said SI.) Your final build submission should consist of your 6 regular levels and your first 10 epic bonus feats, though providing a snapshot at earlier points through the progression is heartily encouraged. Entries are to be PM'd to the Chair (that would be me!), and they will be posted anonymously; our volunteer judges will then grade each build on a 1-5 point scale in four categories: Originality, Power, Elegance, and Use of the Secret Ingredient. The builds with the highest three scores will be awarded medals, with the Honorable Mention award going to the non-medaling build that the Chair likes best (and/or that receives the most votes for HM in this thread). And then we all have cake!*

*Note: You must provide your own cake.

This is basically like the regular Iron Chef, and let's be brutally honest with ourselves here: this isn't a gargantuan community, and we basically all know what we're talking about at this point. Make the builds, send 'em in, post some scores, and have fun. If you've got questions, lemme know. Still, let's lay out a few rules!

Cooking Time: Builds must be submitted via PM to the Chair by 11:59 PM GMT - 7 on Thursday, March 01, 2018 (6:59 AM GMT on Friday, March 02). The reveal shall be on the first evening the Chair has free following the cooking deadline, which is hoped to be the immediately subsequent evening. Judging is then expected (*cough*) to take no more than two weeks, so we'll put the judging deadline at two weeks after that. (You can do the math yourselves; I don't want to put two dates here and confuse people.)

Kitchen: Almost all first-party 3.5 sources are legal. Dragon Magazine is disallowed except as noted below, but Dragon Compendium (and its errata) is allowed. Online material from the WotC website is legal except for unupdated 3.0 psionics, which are banned. (If you use online material, please provide a link to the source.) Unearthed Arcana is legal for paragon classes, alternate races, and alternate class features, but not for fractional BAB/saves, item familiars, generic classes, prestigious character classes, gestalt, bloodlines, LA buyoff, or similar rule variants. We will borrow the existing standard for traits and flaws; they are legal, but traits warrant a 0.5 point penalty in Elegance, and flaws warrant a 1 point penalty in Elegance. Leadership is banned, as is any other feat or class feature that gives you something equivalent. (Familiars and improved familiars are fine, Wild Cohort is fine, psicrystals and elemental envoys are fine, animal companions are fine, but Thrallherd is not fine, for example.) Official errata is considered to be in play, including the Dragon 318 update to Oriental Adventures (but nothing else in Dragon 318 unless it is found in an otherwise legal source). Judges are not to penalize for the use of a large or small number of sources, nor are they to penalize for using an "obscure" source in one's build. Judges may, however, penalize for using a source without listing it, so please provide a list of sources! It is up to the discretion of each judge whether it is inelegant to "cross setting lines" (by using, for example, Forgotten Realms and Eberron material in the same build). Pathfinder is not allowed. Unupdated 3.0 material is allowed, and the general-purpose 3.0-to-3.5 skill updates (Wilderness Lore and Intuit Direction become Survival, Read Lips becomes Sense Motive, etc.) should be used when appropriate. If 3.0 material has been updated to 3.5, use the 3.5 version instead. If you have questions about anything in this paragraph (or hell, in this ruleset), feel free to ask the Chair.

Character Creation: 32 point buy is assumed. For the purposes of this contest, Level Adjustment greater than +0 is banned other than the Round VI-specific exceptions described below. (This may be revised at a later point, but I don't feel that the E6 LA rules are conducive to fun in the context of this contest.) No more than two entries per chef per contest, please; if you submit two builds and somehow are so overcome with inspiration for a third that you can't help yourself, PM me and tell me which two you care about the most.

Speculation: Please do not post any form of speculation before the reveal. Just don't do it, guys. It's not cool.

E6: Here's how E6 works for the purposes of this contest. Build your character normally for the first six levels. After you reach level 6, you stop gaining levels and start gaining bonus feats every time you would gain 5,000 XP. Since we aren't actually tracking XP, you'll basically list your first ten epic bonus feats in the order that you take them, and we think of them as being kind of like levels. We will not use the LA-equals-reduced-point-buy rules, instead preferring to just ban races with LA, at least for now. However, see below for a special rule that only applies to Round VI. We will not use the "capstone feats"; all feats that you take must be normal legal 3.5 feats, not homebrew E6 ones. You may not use the Epic feats from the Epic Level Handbook, though if for some reason there are non-Epic feats from the ELH that you qualify for, you may take those. (I don't think there are any, but I'm sure someone will prove me wrong.) It is up to the discretion of each judge whether this is a "hard E6" (magic above 3rd level spells is simply beyond mortal reach, items that have a listed CL above 6th are just plain not available, etc.) or a "soft E6" (if you can somehow get the magic on your character, it's yours, regardless of level), though I honestly don't expect it to come up. Don't go crazy with making assumptions about items and we probably won't have to find out.

Presentation: Here's a table for you to use. List your epic bonus feats (in clear order) after the table. If you find a clever way of formatting that that isn't annoying and that doesn't break anything, have fun; if it's portable, I may steal it for the next round. When sending your build or any disputes to the Chair, clearly include your build's name in the subject of the PM, and please present your build exactly as you want the Chair to copy and paste it into the thread. If you're using a picture, cite the source and follow any relevant citation rules.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills Feats New Class Abilities
    2nd New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills Feats New Class Abilities
    3rd New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills Feats New Class Abilities
    4th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills Feats New Class Abilities
    5th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills Feats New Class Abilities
    6th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills Feats New Class Abilities
    Code for the table:
    Spoiler
    Show
    [table="class: head alt1 alt2"]
    [tr]
    [th][B]Level[/B][/th]
    [th][B]Class[/B][/th]
    [th][B]Base Attack Bonus[/B][/th]
    [th][B]Fort Save[/B][/th]
    [th][B]Ref Save[/B][/th]
    [th][B]Will Save[/B][/th]
    [th][B]Skills[/B][/th]
    [th][B]Feats[/B][/th]
    [th][B]Class Features[/B][/th]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]1st[/td]
    [td]New Class Level[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]Skills[/td]
    [td]Feats[/td]
    [td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]2nd[/td]
    [td]New Class Level[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]Skills[/td]
    [td]Feats[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]3rd[/td]
    [td]New Class Level[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]Skills[/td]
    [td]Feats[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]4th[/td]
    [td]New Class Level[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]Skills[/td]
    [td]Feats[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]5th[/td]
    [td]New Class Level[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]Skills[/td]
    [td]Feats[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]6th[/td]
    [td]New Class Level[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]+x[/td]
    [td]Skills[/td]
    [td]Feats[/td]
    [/tr][/table]

Contest houserules: Nearly the same as the main contest's rules here: all creatures are proficient with natural weapons they have or may acquire, bonus feats that are explicitly granted without meeting prereqs are usable even without those prereqs, and feats that affect which skills are class skills for you and/or how you spend your skill points (Able Learner, Martial Study, Truename Training, Apprentice, etc.) apply immediately at the level at which you take them (even though you normally spend skill points before taking a feat).

Judging guidelines: The minimum score in a category is 1. Judges are expected to be fair, consistent, and open-minded, and they are expected to make a good-faith effort to engage with any reasonable disputes that arise, especially when RAW is in question. As with the main contest, we will follow the "One Mistake, One Penalty" guideline. I'm going to directly copy and paste this from the main thread, and hopefully the original author won't mind too much:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Judges are only allowed to penalise once for a given mistake. If someone messes up their skills and doesn't qualify for a PrC, ding them as hard as you like. Once. In one category. You don't then get to declare that because they didn't qualify for that PrC, they don't get those levels, and thus don't qualify for anything else. If Ranger is a common ingredient, ding them for Originality. Once. Don't also take off points for Two-Weapon-Fighting being a common ingredient.

Non-exhaustive list of examples:

Skills
    Allowed:
    • Giving a penalty for miscalculating the number of skill points gained
    • Giving a penalty for not having enough ranks to meet a prerequisite
    • Increasing the harshness of a skill miscalculation penalty if it affects critical skills including prereqs

Not allowed:
    • Giving separate penalties for miscalculating skill points and for non-qualification where the non-qualification is solely caused by the miscalculation

Prereqs
    Allowed:
    • Giving a penalty for not meeting prereqs
    • Scaling the penalty depending on how important the item that the build failed to qualify for is
    • Giving minimum score in UotSI for not qualifying for the SI
    • (Trial, may be disallowed later)Not giving credit for (note: not the same as penalising for) tactics using feats or classes other than the SI that were not qualified for (but see below)

Not Allowed:
    • "Cascading" failures to qualify - declaring that because a build doesn't qualify for a feat, for example, it also doesn't qualify for anything using that feat as a prereq
    • Treating a build as having fewer levels than it does because of FtQ for classes

Other general things that are no longer allowed:
    • Penalising because someone has chosen to build a tribute to an existing creative work
    • Deciding that a backstory has not met a fluff prerequisite well enough, or because its method of meeting it is "unrealistic". You may penalise if a fluff prereq is not addressed at all, but not for how well it is addressed.

Note that these are protections, not licenses. Deliberately taking a feat that you know you don't qualify for hoping to just suck up the judging penalty for a feat that you couldn't normally take is not okay, and may lead to your build being disqualified.

Other bits and bobs: If there's something major and relevant I haven't mentioned, assume that the way I handle it will probably be the same as the main contest unless stated otherwise or unless doing so would be an obviously absurd result. If you've got questions, I'll give you answers.

This round's secret ingredient: RACIAL PARAGON CLASSES, from Unearthed Arcana (and the SRD)! Allez Optimizer!

". . .Wait, racial paragon classes? The hell, Zaq?": Yeah. This round's SI is racial paragon classes. Your build must take one or more levels in a racial paragon class, and that is to be treated as the secret ingredient, so make sure you show off what your paragon class has to offer! (They aren't technically base classes, so you'll notice that I sneakily removed the word "base" from a sentence way up at the top there, but that's what we're going with.) I won't tell you which racial paragon class to take. You can take any of them (that you qualify for, of course). And since three of them (Drow Paragon, Half-Dragon Paragon, and Tiefling Paragon) map to races that have LA, which is normally banned, we'll be slightly modifying the LA rules: for Round VI ONLY, you may take drow, half-dragon, or tiefling as your race. Drow has 18 PB instead of 32. Half-dragon has 10 PB instead of 32. Tiefling has 25 PB instead of 32. Half-dragon must be taken on a race that is otherwise LA 0. No other source of LA (templates, races, or otherwise) is legal.

THE BUILDS:

Name Race/Alignment Class stub
    "Thews" Ironhand
    CN Amphibious Frostblood Half-Orc Half-Orc Paragon 3 / Orc Paragon 3
    Sythaeryn the Silvan Singer
    NG Half-Elf Half-Elf Paragon 3 / Human Paragon 3
    Sharom
    CE Desert Half-Orc Dread Necromancer 2 / Half-Orc Paragon 3 / Rage Mage 1
    Sahran, Will of the Desert
    ? Aligned (nonlawful?) Desert Half-Orc Half-Orc Paragon 3 / Barbarian 2 / Fighter 1
    Rokar the Rager
    CG Half-Orc Half-Orc Paragon 3 / Orc Paragon 3
    John Drake
    CG Human Human Paragon 3 / Dragonfire Adept 2 / Chameleon 1
    Heru Sunblood
    LG Desert Half-Orc Half-Orc Paragon 2 / Paladin 4
    Helga
    ? Aligned (nonlawful?) Jungle Halfling Ranger 2 / Barbarian 1 / Halfling Paragon 3
    Garek Grutshank
    LG Desert Half-Orc Half-Orc Paragon 2 / Paladin 4
    Dorcas Thistlethwaite
    CG Stonehunter Gnome Savage Bard 2 / Marshal 1 / Gnome Paragon 3
    Bann Ru'Falo / Jedeck Hyll
    CG Changeling Martial Rogue 2 / Half-Elf Paragon 2 / Half-Orc Paragon 2

Spoiler: Contest History
    Show

Round 4: Knight
    Round 5: Ninja

Spoiler: Way Old Stuff (Amechra's tenure, 2011-12)
    Show
    Last edited by Zaq; 2018-03-04 at 10:13 AM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently judging for round 24. Everyone is welcome!

My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

Queer pride isn't limited to one month!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: E6 Appetizer Edition (Round VI)

...oh dear. I have a couple ideas for this... >.>

Currently Recruiting: Witch Hunt

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

ohhhh yes, this will be fun!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'm definitely in time allowing!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Not to speculate (I can scrub this post if need be), but aside from UA and the SRD, there's also a Kobold Paragon class in a RotD Web Enhancement. I assume it would also be fair game?

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

~HISSS~
    *hides in-progress build* >.>

I consider it a bit speculative and relevant to my interests.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have one (extremely obvious) idea. I'm sure someone else will submit it, but I might give it a go anyway.

8. - Top - End - #8

Not to speculate (I can scrub this post if need be), but aside from UA and the SRD, there's also a Kobold Paragon class in a RotD Web Enhancement. I assume it would also be fair game?
    Huh. I had forgotten about that one. Sure, why not?

Are there any others that I've forgotten about?

I'd really like to see how many unique racial paragon classes we'll have among the entries. Think we can catch 'em all, folks?

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently judging for round 24. Everyone is welcome!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post

I'd really like to see how many unique racial paragon classes we'll have among the entries. Think we can catch 'em all, folks?
    Catching 'em all... that would be a nightmare for the judges. 10 ingredients instead of one... that's evil Zaq. I like it.
    Last edited by Long_shanks; 2018-02-15 at 11:48 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

The only other Racial Paragon class I'm aware of is the Aberrant one from DM 332, and since Dragon Magazine is off the table anyway, I think that's it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Dang I had an idea for this before I realized that I was using a Deagon Magazine variant for a lot of it.
    I can still do it I guess... but this'll be way less fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

As far as I can tell, Racial paragon classes aren't listed to get x4 skill points at first level. Can we assume that they do get those if you take your first level in one?
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    As far as I can tell, Racial paragon classes aren't listed to get x4 skill points at first level. Can we assume that they do get those if you take your first level in one?
    Sure they do. UA pg. 32: "Paragon class levels can be taken any time a character gains a new level, even at 1st level (in which case they receive four times the normal number of skill points gained at each succeeding level)."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure they do. UA pg. 32: "Paragon class levels can be taken any time a character gains a new level, even at 1st level (in which case they receive four times the normal number of skill points gained at each succeeding level)."
    Woops, I missed that one. Thanks for pointing it out!
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Iiiiiiinteresting....

Count me in; I have an idea (perhaps not an original idea, but an idea nonetheless).
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2018-02-16 at 11:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Hmm! The last thread was my first foray, but this is potentially addictive as a hobby.

On the other hand, I have never used racial Paragon levels so I will have to poke at it and see if an idea surfaces.

17. - Top - End - #17

EvilClericGuy

Huh. E6. I think I'm in, with some clarifications...

I'll PM our host.

18. - Top - End - #18

So I have a sub-game to offer. It is very simple, and I have no interesting prizes or anything to go along with it, but I think it will be slightly amusing. It's basically a guessing game.

Place your bets NOW, the sooner the better: how many unique racial paragon classes will be featured in this round's dishes?

19. - Top - End - #19

I think most of them will be

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Place your bets NOW, the sooner the better: how many unique racial paragon classes will be featured in this round's dishes?
    I'm pretty sure that this game will directly effect people's choices on their builds. But, hey! As long as people are coo with it.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Vaz approval for the best backstory. Villainous Competition 16: Burn Baby Burn
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=114

Honorable Mention Villainous Competition 22: I Am The Night
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...e-Night!/page6 Xihu Ayame

Click my Vulpix to feed it yummy berries!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Going to bet on eight unique classes.
    Have you had enough of unreasonably high LA's and unplayable monsters in 3.5? Then check out the LA-assignment thread! Don't hesitate to give feedback!

Extended signature!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I... don't know what to do with those. I've always used the paragon classes to fill up dead levels before a PrC and not as a focus of a build. Their abilities are good, but I can't conceptualize a build that really showcases them. Unless inspiration strikes, I'll probably sit that one.

Also, I think only two classes will not be used by our chefs.

Edit: That means 10 classes, if my math is exact.
    Last edited by Long_shanks; 2018-02-17 at 07:17 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'm going to put in my vote for all the things!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

My guess is 7. Which basically means, there will be more than 7.
    Fantabulous Duskblade avatar by linklele, for which I am eternally grateful.
    Previous avatars composed by Nathan, Ivius and Threeshades, for what I am eternally grateful, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Cookie cutter racial cheese aside, we should probably keep an eye on the whole "Dwarf only" bit of the OP. But hey, that's just me. Everyone feel free to throw out more op tricks that are 100% topic irrelevant. :P

25. - Top - End - #25

EvilClericGuy

Are we limited to one entry?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    Are we limited to one entry?
    Maximum number of entries per person is two, it says in the first post.
    Have you had enough of unreasonably high LA's and unplayable monsters in 3.5? Then check out the LA-assignment thread! Don't hesitate to give feedback!

Extended signature!

27. - Top - End - #27

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Maximum number of entries per person is two, it says in the first post.
    Thanks; missed that when I read through it on my tablet.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

I am not inspired to build, I'll judge again
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just submitted my first ever build. I don't expect it to do very well, but I've been wanting to participate in one of these for a while now.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

the very first build i ever did was 70% illegal and still won Honorable Mention

don't count yourself out ever!
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link