New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: E6 Appetizer Edition (Round VI)

It has been brought to my attention that there are multiple versions of the tiefling. I'm aware of a version in MM1, a version in the Planar Handbook, and a version in Races of Destiny. Of those three, the Races of Destiny version seems to have the latest printing date.

There are some minor wording changes between the three of them, but biggest difference is that the Races of Destiny version seem to have completely removed the tiefling's racial energy resistances for some reason. Since the Tiefling Paragon class increases a racial resistance, this seems like a problem. Accordingly, I'm going to say that the version of the tiefling in MM1 (and the SRD) is canonical for the purposes of Round VI. My logic is basically that the Tiefling Paragon secret ingredient was written with the MM1 tiefling in mind, so a later nerf (that is minor and yet far from necessary for balance) that interferes with the SI shouldn't be the reason why the SI is difficult to use. At least not in this specific context. Other SIs might be made trickier by nerfs. We'll see.

Anyway, if you've already made most or all of a build that is drastically changed by this ruling, feel free to PM me and let me know, and we'll talk about a workaround. But since the MM1 version is almost entirely strictly superior to the RoD version (and it takes weird and likely intentional shenanigans for the difference between the MM1 version and the PlH version to be relevant), I doubt that this is going to cramp anyone's style too terribly much.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

How’s everyone doing? We’ve got fourish days to go, and I’m expecting the traditional flurry of last-minute entries, but we’re also out of weekend days left between now and the deadline, and I have one entry.

Did we go too weird with this one? I know it’s hard to really showcase these ingredients, which is the point, but . . .

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Still planning to get a build in by the deadline - just formatting to go!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

I was actually try my hand this time, but RL took a big bite. Oh well, maybe next time. I will not get finished in time.

5. - Top - End - #35

EvilClericGuy

I have two that will be submitted on 28 Feb.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

I managed to get my build in, so I won't be judging this one.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

I was planning out a build in my head but real life kept me from ever sitting it down and statting it out.

If next week proves any slower I could try my hand at judging, but we’ll have to wait and see.

8. - Top - End - #38

I woke up, typed both of mine in table format, submitted to Zaq and am heading to work, they might blow, but I did it anyway.
    Last edited by lylsyly; 2018-02-28 at 04:41 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Build IN!! Looking forward to seeing what folks came up with. There were so many fun ideas I saw, and I had to stop looking relatively quickly otherwise I never would have built anything. I expect people came up with some amazing things! Can't wait!!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

I wish I'd had more time. I was excited about this one.
    But I'm also excited to see what people came up with!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

I’ve got a good number of entries. Anyone still actively working on it? I’m contemplating posting them when I get home from work in about 5 hours (which is technicallly about 6 hours before the deadline) rather than waiting until tomorrow. But I don’t want to cut anyone off if they’re still trying to hit the deadline.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I’ve got a good number of entries. Anyone still actively working on it? I’m contemplating posting them when I get home from work in about 5 hours (which is technicallly about 6 hours before the deadline) rather than waiting until tomorrow. But I don’t want to cut anyone off if they’re still trying to hit the deadline.
    Just finishing my entry off, you should have it in about an hour though.

Edit: Submitted now
    Last edited by Dread_Head; 2018-03-01 at 04:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Still working on mine. They'll be in by the deadline.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Okay. I won’t shorten the deadline, then.

Incidentally, the patterns I'm seeing this round are truly surprising. You folks are in for a treat. I did not expect [REDACTED] to feature nearly so heavily. This is going to be fun.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2018-03-01 at 08:37 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

I'm at "Everything But Backstory", and trying to decide if fluffing out a backstory is worth it or if I should send it in as it is.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    I'm at "Everything But Backstory", and trying to decide if fluffing out a backstory is worth it or if I should send it in as it is.
    I mean, it’s good to do the best you can, but an imperfect dish that gets submitted beats a better build that misses the deadline. Maybe just keep it short and sweet?

17. - Top - End - #47

EvilClericGuy

Got one in. Gonna be the only one, and the lesser of my two hoped for offerings. I just can't get the second one to gel and format. This was fun, though!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, check it out, I woke up early enough to do the reveal this morning!

Don't get too used to this. Either way, here it comes!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

You certain this one isn't a Drow Paragon?

Quote Originally Posted by Thews Ironhand
    When your mother is a dragonblooded witch and your father is a bloodthirsty barbarian, it's pretty certain you're going to be a rage machine with spooky issues.

Thews is the result of such a pairing. He champions his tribe in battle and parley.

Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st Half-orc Paragon 1 +1 +2 +0 +0 Climb+3, Intimidate+8, Jump+3, Survival+4, Swim+6 Flaw: Murky-Eyed, Feats: Endurance, Power Attack, Nighthaunt Divided ancestry, monstrous mien
    2nd Half-orc Paragon 2 +2 +3 +0 +0 Climb+4, Intimidate+9, Jump+3, Survival+5, Swim+7 Flaw: Murky-Eyed, Feats: Endurance, Power Attack, Nighthaunt Rage 1/day
    3rd Half-orc Paragon 2/Orc Paragon 1 +3 +5 +0 +0 Climb+4, Intimidate+10, Jump+4, Survival+5, Swim+7 Flaw: Murky-Eyed, Feats: Endurance, Power Attack, Nighthaunt, Fascinating Illumination Improved darkvision (+30 ft.), no light sensitivity
    4th Half-orc Paragon 2/Orc Paragon 2 +4 +6 +0 +0 Climb+4, Intimidate+11, Jump+4, Survival+5, Swim+7 Flaw: Murky-Eyed, Feats: Endurance, Power Attack, Nighthaunt, Fascinating Illumination Elf slayer
    5th Half-orc Paragon 3/Orc Paragon 2 +5 +6 +1 +1 Climb+5, Intimidate+12, Jump+5, Survival+5, Swim+8 Flaw: Murky-Eyed, Feats: Endurance, Power Attack, Nighthaunt, Fascinating Illumination Ability boost (Str +2)
    6th Half-orc Paragon 3/Orc Paragon 3 +6 +6 +2 +2 Climb+5, Intimidate+13, Jump+7, Survival+5, Swim+8 Flaw: Murky-Eyed, Feats: Endurance, Power Attack, Nighthaunt, Fascinating Illumination, Extra Rage Ability boost (Str +2), Rage 3/day

"Thews" Ironhand, Male Amphibious Frostblood Half-Orc H-OPar3/OrcPar3: CR 6; Medium Humanoid (Orc, Dragonblooded, Aquatic); HD 3d8+3d10+24 (Con & Imp. Toughness); Init+0;Spd 30, Swim Spd 15; AC: 10 (Flatfooted: 10 Touch: 10); Atk +11 base melee, +6 base ranged; SQ: Rage 5/day, Darkvision (Ex): 90 ft., Amphibious, An amphibious creature has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can move through water at its swim speed without making Swim checks. The creature can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. The creature can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line, Resistance to Cold 10, Vulnerability to Fire, Elf Slayer; RF: Orc Blood, Dragonblood subtype, Auquatic subtype; AL CN; SV Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +4; STR 20, DEX 10, CON 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 10.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Half-orc paragons are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light armor and medium armor.

Flaw: Murkey-Eyed (UA, p92)

Skills include ability, racial, and synergy bonuses: Climb+5, Intimidate+13, Jump+7, Survival+5, Swim+8

Feats: Endurance (bonus, frostblood half-orc), Power Attack, Nighthaunt (CompArc, p81, for flaw), Fascinating Illumination (3rd, DotU, p50), Extra Rage (6th, CompWar, p98)

Possessions: Pick a two-handed weapon, medium armor, and miscellaneous magical equipment to taste and suit the campaign.

SLAs: prestidigitation, unseen servant, each 1/day, save DC 10, CL 1; dancing lights, 3/day, save DC 12, CL 6 (can be used for silent image, save DC 13, CL 6, or hypnotic pattern, save DC 15, CL 6)

Epic Feats:
    1. Improved Toughness (CompWar, p101)
    2. Deceptive Illumination (DotU, p50)
    3. Improved Sunder
    4. Iron Will
    5. Ability Focus (dancing lights)
    6. Extend Rage (CompWar, p97)
    7. Cleave
    8. Great Cleave
    9. Extra Rage (CompWar, p98)
    10. Destructive Rage (CompWar, p97)

Frostblood Half-orc (Dragon Magic, p10)
    Otherwise, except as noted below, frostblood half-orcs are identical to the half-orcs described in Player's Handbook.
    Dragonblood Subtype: Frostblood half-orcs are of the dragonblood subtype.unchanged.
    Resistance to Cold 10: Because their ancestors ingested the blood of great white dragons, all frostblood half-orcs are naturally resistant to cold-based attacks.
    Endurance: Frostblood half-orcs have Endurance as a bonus feat. If a frostblood half-orc would later gain Endurance as a bonus feat, he can select any other feat for which he qualifies.
    Vulnerability to Fire: Frostblood half-orcs shave the white dragon's vulnerability to fire-based attacks.

CREATING AN AMPHIBIOUS CREATURE (Stormwrack, p135)
    “Amphibious” is an inherited template that can be added to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
    An amphibious creature uses all the base creature’s statistics and abilities except as noted here.
    Size and Type: The creature gains the aquatic subtype, but its creature type and other subtypes are unchanged. Size is unchanged.
    Speed: An amphibious creature gains a swim speed equal to half the normal land speed of the base creature (not including any adjustments for feats, class features, or other effects).
    Special Qualities: An amphibious creature retains all the special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following special quality.
    Amphibious: An amphibious creature can breathe air and water equally well.
    Abilities: Adjust from the base creature as follows: Dex –2. Amphibious creatures are less agile and flexible than their surface kin.
    Skills: An amphibious creature has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can move through water at its swim speed without making Swim checks. The creature can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. The creature can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.
    Environment: Any (usually aquatic).
    Level Adjustment: +0.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2018-03-02 at 08:05 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I guess we know what kind of people get sorted into House Sythaeryn.

Quote Originally Posted by Sythaeryn
    Sythaeryn the Silvan Singer (the Bard that wasn’t) NG Female Half-Elf
    Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Sythaeryn was raised in an orphanage in a mid sized town, always in trouble and never fitting in, she ran away and hit the trail, seeking to find a place where she fits in and to make a living. She plays the lute and sings, casts a few spells, and works as a Cook and Innkeeper when she can to pay living expenses for her and her bodyguard, strong right arm, and lover Rokar. Of the duo, she is the one to always be looking for ways to earn a living and trying to keep Rokar out of trouble. Her true desire is to own an Inn of her own and to stay with Rokar.
    Favorite saying (usually to the town guard): “Hey, a girls gotta eat ya know!”

Spoiler: Concept
    Show
    Basically, I have tried to build a Bard without being a Bard, Using her skills and her small amount of innate spellcasting to emulate being a Bard.

Spoiler: Ability Scores
    Show

SOURCE STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
    32 pt buy 10 13 12 14 10 17
    1/2 Elf Mods +0 +0 +0 +0 +0 +0
    1/2 Elf Para Bonus +0 +0 +0 +0 +0 +2
    Level 4 +0 +0 +0 +0 +0 +1
    Human Para Bonus +0 +0 +0 +0 +0 +0
    Totals 10 13 12 14 10 22

Spoiler: Build Table
    Show

Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st Half Elf Paragon 1 +0 +0 +2 +0 Bluff 4, Diplomacy 4, Hide 4, Move Silently 4, Perform (lute) 4, Perform (Melody) 1, Profession (cook) 4 Night Haunt (CArc) Divided Ancestry, Elven Vision, Bonus Feat = Nymph’s Kiss (BoED)
    2nd Half Elf Paragon 2 +1 +0 +3 +0 Bluff 5, Diplomacy 5, Hide 5, Move Silently 5, Perform (lute) 5, Perform (Melody) 1, Profession (cook) 5, Profession (Innkeeper) 1 Persuasion
    3rd Half Elf Paragon 3 +2 +1 +3 +1 Bluff 6, Diplomacy 6, Hide 6, Move Silently 6, Perform (lute) 6, Perform (Melody) 1, Profession (cook) 6, Profession (Innkeeper) 2 Versatile Performer (CAdv) Ability Bonus (CHA+2)
    4th Human Paragon 1 +2 +1 +5 +1 Bluff 7, Diplomacy 7, Hide 7, Move Silently 7, Perform (lute) 7, Perform (Melody) 1, Profession (cook) 7, Profession (Innkeeper) 3 CHA+1 from 4th lvl Adaptive Learning
    5th Human Paragon 2 +3 +1 +6 +1 Bluff 8, Diplomacy 8, Hide 8, Move Silently 8, Perform (lute) 8, Perform (Melody) 1, Profession (cook) 8, Profession (Innkeeper) 4 Bonus Feat: Soul of the North (CArc)
    6th Human Paragon 3 +4 +2 +5 +2 Bluff 9, Diplomacy 9, Hide 9, Move Silently 9, Perform (lute) 9, Perform (Melody) 1, Profession (cook) 9, Profession (Innkeeper) 5 Necropolis Born (CArc) Ability Bonus (CHA+2)

Spoiler: Epic Feats
    Show

1 Skill Focus (Profession = Cook) (PHB)
    2 Insightful (CArc)
    3 Comunicator (CArc)
    4 Spell Hand (CArc)
    5 Negotiator (PHB)
    6 Master Manipulator (PH2)
    7 Skill Focus (Profession = Innkeeper) (PHB)
    8 Skill Focus (Perform) (PHB)
    9 Skill Focus (Diplomacy) (PHB)
    10 Skill Focus (Bluff) (PHB)

Spoiler: Sources
    Show

Unearthed Arcana/SRD (Races/Classes)
    PHB (Feats)
    PH2 (Feats)
    BoED (Feats)
    CArc (Feats)
    Cadv (Feats)

Spoiler: Apology
    Show
    Sorry, I know I don’t really even have the feats in a good order but I was Hospitalized for a few days and It looks like I will be working double time until I get caught up (I can’t believe no one else can handle a simple darned Customer Service Complaint).I still really wanted to get them in. And, if someone would be so kind, after the judging is over show me where I went wrong.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

You know, the main contest has been shying away from this particular class forever . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Sharom
    Sharom
    Spoiler: Stats
    Show

Desert Half Orc
    Str 16
    Dex 10
    Con 16
    Int 10
    Wis 8
    Cha 16
    Level up into Str

Spoiler: The Build
    Show

Level
    Class
    Base Attack Bonus
    Fort Save
    Ref Save
    Will Save
    Skills
    Feats
    Class Features
    1st Dread Necromancer +0 +0 +0 +2 Concentration +4, Spellcraft +4 Precocious Apprentice Rebuke Undead, Charnel Touch
    2nd Dread Necromancer +1 +0 +0 +3 Concentration +5, Spellcraft +5 Lich Body 2
    3rd Half Orc Paragon +2 +2 +0 +3 +4 Intimidate Combat Casting Divided Ancestry, Monstrous Mien
    4th Half Orc Paragon +3 +3 +0 +3 Intimidate +7, Concentration +5.5 Rage 1/day
    5th Half Orc Paragon +4 +3 +1 +4 Intimidate +8, Concentration +7 Str +2
    6th Rage Mage +4 +5 +1 +4 Never Outnumbered Improved Unarmed Strike Spell Rage
    Epic 1 Superior Unarmed Strike
    Epic 2 Tomb Tainted Soul
    Epic 3 Practiced Spellcaster: Dread Necromancer
    Epic 4 Weapon Focus Touch Spell
    Epic 5 Touch Spell Specialization
    Epic 6 Hammer Fist
    Epic 7 Extra Rage
    Epic 8 Improved Natural Attack: Unarmed Strike
    Epic 9 Willing Deformity
    Epic 10 Willing Deformity Obese

Spoiler: Snapshot
    Show

Spoiler: Combat
    Show
    The way Sharom fights is an interesting method to say the least. She enters into her half orc rage and her spell rage at the beginning of the fight. Then she casts Chill Touch, which lasts 6 touches that can be touched once per round and begins advancing on her opponent(s). She then bashes them repeatedly with her fists dealing Unarmed Damage and Chill Touch. She has damage reduction and self healing via her dread necromancer levels, and can easily debuff everyone within 5 ft with a quick intimidation. When she doesn't want to smash people to bits she can always use her Charnel Touch. Her statblock below is assuming max HP at level 1 and average HP (rounded up) on all other levels. She only has a single nonmagical item listed in her gear and it is not required for her to function, but it is there to point out that she can wear Medium Armor.

In my home games we have a homebrew on Practiced Spellcaster to add the CL as if they were full spellcasting, progressing their spell progression as well, and if this is allowed then she would cast Vampiric Touch instead of Chill Touch, but otherwise has no bearing on this competition.

Spoiler: Statblock
    Show
    Sharom
    Medium Humanoid (Half Orc)
    2d6+4d8 + 24 (54)
    Initiative: -1
    Speed: 20 ft. in Mithril Full Plate (4 squares); base speed 30 ft.
    Armor Class: 17 (10 base, -1 Dex, +8 Mithril Full Plate), touch 9, flat-footed 17
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+8
    Attack: Unarmed Strike (2d6+6)
    Full Attack: Unarmed Strike (2d6+6)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Charnel Touch
    Special Qualities: DR 2/ Magic+Bludgeoning,
    Saves: Fort +9, Ref +0, Will +3
    Abilities: Str 19, Dex 8, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16
    Skills: Concentration +11, Intimidate +20, Spellcraft +7, Never Outnumbered
    Feats: Precocious Apprentice, Combat Casting, Improved Unarmed Strike, Superior Unarmed Strike, Tomb Tainted Soul, Practiced Spellcaster: Dread Necromancer, Weapon Focus: Touch, Touch Spell Specialization, Hammer Fist, Extra Rage, Improved Natural Attack: Unarmed Strike, Willing Deformity, Willing Deformity Obese
    Environment: Material Plane
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 6
    Treasure: 6th level adventurer
    Alignment: Chaotic Evil
    Advancement: By Character Class
    Level Adjustment: —

Spoiler: Fluff
    Show
    Sharom was a prodigy in her home tribe. Showing off some of the best spellcasting that the tribe had to offer from an extremely young age. The tribe sent her to one of the colleges to the far south, hoping that she could gain knowledge and power and be able to return to her tribe. While Sharom was there as a teenage half orc she learned that she was not the most powerful spellcaster in the world. And that prejudices against her race and often her gender were in full swing. She very quickly learned that the rules were that she couldn't use hostile magic or lethal means against her colleagues. So she used her strength and a good punch to put people into their place. Eventually the college expelled her regardless of the rules. This made her mad. When she returned to her tribe she returned as a true half orc. Raising her head and taking leadership. Sharom would eventually lead an attack on the college where she showed the headmaster that arcane might is not everything, and that a good groin kick and hammer fist to the back of the head would make any spellcaster rue the day that they kicked her out.

Show

Heroes of Horror: Dread Necromancer, Willing Deformity
    Complete Arcane: Precocious Apprentice, Rage Mage, Weapon Focus Touch Spell, Touch Spell Specialization
    Unearthed Arcana: Half Orc Paragon
    Player's Handbook: Combat Casting, Improved Unarmed Strike
    Tome of Battle: Superior Unarmed Strike
    Libris Mortis: Tomb Tainted Soul
    Dragon Compendium: Hammer Fist
    Complete Warrior: Extra Rage
    DMG (or eberron campaign setting?): Improved Natural Attack
    Book of Vile Darkness: Willing Deformity: Obese

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

I guess he ran across the Sahara? Geddit? Geddit? Because desert half-orcs have Run? Oh, just look at the build already.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahran
    Sahran, Will of the Desert
    Desert Half-Orc Half-Orc Paragon 3/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1

Spoiler: Intro
    Show
    Khalif was dying. Dying alone under the fierce desert sun, exhausted, starving and above all, thirsty. He'd run from orc raiders, but in his haste to flee, he left the trail and lost himself in the vast wasteland. His camel had stopped moving days ago, but he'd kept walking, refusing to lie down and wait for death. Now he dragged himself over the sand, knowing his death would come soon, yet not accepting it. Vultures circled above him, waiting for the moment when he stopped moving and they could claim what was rightfully theirs.

Suddenly, a shadow fell over him. He could barely lift his head, but he saw black robes. He vaguely wondered if this was the Reaper, come to claim him at last, but then there was a soft thud as a full waterskin landed in front of him. Khalif seized it and drank greedily, draining the waterskin in moments. Then, exhausted, he slumped to the ground, and everything went black.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    To be a half-orc is to be alone. No-one knows that better than Sahran. As far back as he could remember, he lived on the outskirts of a human desert village, a scavenger who lived off whatever meagre scraps he could find. One day, an orc tribe descended on the village and destroyed everything. They spared Sahran, but they would not accept him. Outcast of two peoples, his outlook was grim indeed. The desert is a harsh place, where to be alone is to live on a knife-edge. Yet he survived, and learned to survive. And slowly he discovered that, as solitude is the essence of the half-orc, so too is it the essence of the desert. Now he wanders the desert, enacting its will. To those the desert finds worthy, he brings its gifts - water, food, shelter, salvation. To the unworthy, he brings fear. And to any who try to flee him, he grants the greatest gift of all: a swift and merciful death, devoid of all the suffering the desert has to offer.

Show
    Ability Score Modifiers Final Score
    Strength 16 +2 (Half-Orc Paragon 3) 18 (+4)
    Dexterity 14 - 14 (+2)
    Constitution 14 +2 (Desert Half-Orc) 16 (+3)
    Intelligence 10 -2 (Desert Half-Orc) 8 (-1)
    Wisdom 8 - 8 (-1)
    Charisma 15 +1 (Level 4 Bonus) 16 (+3)

Spoiler: Build
    Show
    1st Half-Orc Paragon 1 +1 +2 +0 +0 Intimidate +4, Jump +4, Survival +4 Power Attack, Run (Desert Half-Orc) Divided ancestry, monstrous mien
    2nd Half-Orc Paragon 2 +2 +3 +0 +0 Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Survival +1 - Rage 1/day
    3rd Half-Orc Paragon 3 +3 +3 +1 +1 Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Survival +1 Intimidating Rage Ability boost (Str +2)
    4th Wolf Totem Barbarian (Spiritual Totem: Lion) 1 +4 +5 +1 +1 Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Survival +1 - Pounce, Rage 2/day
    5th Wolf Totem Barbarian 2 +5 +6 +1 +1 Intimidate +1, Never Outnumbered Improved Trip (Wolf Totem Barbarian) -
    6th Fighter 1 +6 +8 +1 +1 Intimidate +1, Extreme Leap Imperious Command, Improved Bull Rush (Fighter 1) -

E6 Feats:
    1. Menacing Demeanour
    2. Combat Reflexes
    3. Knock-Down
    4. Shock Trooper
    5. Leap Attack
    6. Extra Rage
    7. Extra Rage
    8. Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain)
    9. Endurance
    10. Steadfast Determination

Spoiler: Tactics
    Show

Spoiler: Levels 1-4
    Show
    Sahran is a standard low-level Barbarian at this point, charging and raging like everyone else. From level 3, the most dangerous enemy in an encounter will be shaken by his free +12 demoralize, but otherwise very normal.

Spoiler: Level 5
    Show
    Sahran now makes everyone within 10 feet shaken with Intimidating Rage. At this point, he picks up a trip weapon and starts tripping people with Improved Trip. His trip modifier isn't amazing, so he should be careful who he targets with it, but the shaken condition helps him make it stick.

Spoiler: Level 6
    Show
    People now start cowering when Sahran rages, thanks to Imperious Command. He also gets his second attack from BAB, which helps him make the most of the 1 round of cowering. From this point forward, his demoralize check reaches its final +20 modifier with Menacing Demeanour doubling up on monstrous mien. Combat Reflexes, Knock-Down, and Exotic Weapon Proficiency with Spiked Chain combine to let him trip people with damage from attacks, get a free attack if the trip is successful,and trip them again if they try to stand up, anywhere within 10 feet. Shock Trooper and Leap Attack need no introduction, but special mention should be made that cowering prevents enemies from capitalizing on Sahran's AC penalties. Extra Rage(s) ensure that he stays functional throughout the adventuring day, keeping him raging through 6 encounters. Finally, Endurance combined with Heat Endurance (from Desert Half-Orc) and Sahran's massive Fortitude score make him basically immune to the desert's heat. Steadfast Determination turns his pitiable +0 Will modifier into a slightly less pitiable +4, and a somewhat respectable +8 while raging.

Show
    • Desert Half-Orc: SRD
    • Half-Orc Paragon: SRD
    • Power Attack: SRD
    • Run: SRD
    • Intimidating Rage: Complete Warrior, p.102
    • Wolf Totem Barbarian: SRD
    • Spiritual Totem (Lion): Complete Champion, p.46
    • Never Outnumbered: Complete Scoundrel, p.87
    • Extreme Leap: Complete Scoundrel, p.86
    • Imperious Command: Drow of the Underdark, p.50
    • Improved Bull Rush: SRD
    • Menacing Demeanour: Races of Destiny, p.153
    • Combat Reflexes: SRD
    • Knock-Down: SRD
    • Shock Trooper: Complete Warrior, p.112
    • Leap Attack: Complete Adventurer, p.110
    • Extra Rage: Complete Warrior, p.98
    • Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain): SRD
    • Endurance: SRD
    • Steadfast Determination: Player's Handbook II, p.83

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

So if he's half half-orc and half orc, is he, like, 3/4 Orc Paragon or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Rokar
    Rokar the Rager (The Barbarian that Wasn’t) CG Male Half Orc

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Never fitting in anywhere, Rokar travelled around until he landed in jail in a human town, there he met Sythaeryn. Together, the two escaped jail and set off to travel and try to find a place to live peacefully. Of the duo, Rokar is the Muscle. He acts as Sythaeryn’s bodyguard, strong right arm, and lover. The two have been travelling together for a few years now, from one town to the next, either getting into trouble or being wise enough (sometimes) to realize they are not wanted and to move along. Rokar really has no skills to bring to the table, being all about the toughness. He is however, quite in love with Sythaeryn and fully ready to settle down and help Sythaern in her dream of owning/running an Inn.

Favorite saying (to Sythaeryn); “Smash?”

Spoiler: Concept
    Show
    What I have attempted to do was being a Barbarian without taking a class level. Melee, Intimidation, and Rage being Rokar’s only Strengths.

Show

SOURCE STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
    32 pt buy 16 10 16 12 10 12
    1/2 Orc Mods +2 +0 +0 -2 +0 -2
    1/2 Orc Para Bonus +2 +0 +0 +0 +0 +0
    Level 4 +1 +0 +0 +0 +0 +0
    Orc Para Bonus +2 +0 +0 +0 +0 +0
    Totals 23 10 16 10 10 10

Spoiler: Build Table
    Show

1st Half Orc Paragon 1 +1 +2 +0 +0 Climb 4, Intimidate 4, Jump 4, Survival 4 Power Attack (PHB) Divided Ancestry, Monstrous Mein
    2nd Half Orc Paragon 2 +2 +3 +0 +0 Climb 5, Intimidate 5, Jump 5, Survival 5 Rage 1/day
    3rd Half Orc Paragon 3 +3 +3 +1 +1 Climb 6, Intimidate 6, Jump 6, Survival 6 Extra Rage(Cwar) Ability Boost (STR +2)
    4th Orc Paragon 1 +4 +5 +1 +1 Climb 6, Intimidate 7, Jump 7, Survival 6 Improved Darkvision (+30 ft), No Light Sensitivity (not used), STR +1 (4th lvl)
    5th Orc Paragon 2 +5 +6 +1 +1 Climb 6, Intimidate 8, Jump 8, Survival 6 Elf Slayer
    6th Orc Paragon 3 +6/+1 +6 +2 +2 Climb 6, Intimidate 9, Jump 9, Survival 6 Righteous Wrath (BoED) Ability Bonus (STR+2)

Spoiler: Epic Feats
    Show

Epic Feats
    1 Intimidating Rage (CWar)
    2 Cleave (PHB)
    3 Great Cleave (PHB)
    4 Improved Bull Rush (PHB)
    5 Improved Overrun (PHB)
    6 Improved Sunder (PHB)
    7 Combat Brute (CWar)
    8 Leap Attack (CAdv)
    9 Shock Trooper (CWar)
    10 Powerful Charge (Mini)

Show

Unearthed Arcana/SRD (Races/Classes)
    PHB (Feats)
    Mini handbook (Feats)
    Cwar (Feats)
    Cadv (Feats)

Spoiler: Apology
    Show
    Sorry, I know I don’t really even have the feats in order but I was Hospitalized for a few days and It looks like I will be working double time until I get caught up (I can’t believe no one else can handle a simple darned Customer Service Complaint).I still really wanted to get them in. And, if someone would be so kind, after the judging is over show me where I went wrong.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Since I'm a cyborg partially made out of titanium-cobalt, does that make me a metallic human?

Quote Originally Posted by John Drake
    John Drake
    Spoiler: Fluffy stuff
    Show

“Gather round, younglings.” The aging Treant called, and in a manner of minutes the open space before him was filled with all manner of creatures. Pixies, Sprites, a couple of young Eladrin, even a particularly intelligent squirrel or two.

“Today, I’ll be teaching you about humans.” The Treant opened the old book, and started to lecture. “Humans are a short-lived species, but also one of the most dynamic. They learn fast, but few have the patience to only stick to one topic. Humans can be scholars or warriors, mages or milkmaids, kings or thieves. Unlike many other species, they have no inborn inclination towards good or evil. If there is one unifying trait of humanity, it is their ambition.”

The Treant slowly turned a page in the old book, and continued his lecture. “Now, as they age, their skins harden into tough scales, and they gather huge hoards of wealth. They will also breathe fire on anyone that dares disturb their domain. They…yes?” One of the squirrels had raised its paw.

“Ehm, sir, didn’t you skip a couple of pages here?” She chittered. “This doesn’t like humans to me.”

The Treant shook his head. “I don’t make mistakes like that, youngling.”

“But the number at the bottom of the page is far higher than the one on the page before.” A Sprite that had taken its place on the Treants shoulder chimed in.

“Harumph, be silent. If you think you can give the lesson better, than go give it somewhere else. Now, everyone should pay special attention while I teach you the difference between metallic and chromatic humans…”

Spoiler: Build
    Show

Stub
    CG Human Human paragon 3/dragonfire adept 2/Chameleon 1
    Ability scores
    STR: 8
    DEX: 14
    CON: 16
    INT: 14
    WIS: 13+1(level 4)
    CHA: 13+2(Human paragon 3 boost)

1st Human Paragon 1 +0 +0 +0 +2 Bluff 4, Disguise 4, Sense motive 4, Spellcraft 4, sleight of hand 4, Search 3, Open lock 3, intimdate 2 Able learner, jack of all trades Adaptive learning (Disguise)
    2nd Dragonfire Adept 1 +0 +2 +0 +4 Bluff 5, Disguise 5, Sense motive 4, Spellcraft 5, sleight of hand 5, Search 4, Open lock 4, Intimidate 3 - Breath weapon 1d6, Dragontouched, least invocations
    3rd Human Paragon 2 +1 +2 +0 +5 Bluff 6, Disguise 6, Sense motive 4, Spellcraft 5, sleight of hand 6, Search 5, Open lock 5, intimidate 5 Draconic heritage (brass), Draconic senses Bonus feat, +1 level of dragonfire adept casting
    4th Human Paragon 3 +1 +3 +1 +5 Bluff 7, Disguise 7, Sense motive 4, Spellcraft 5, sleight of hand 7, Search 6, Open lock 6, intimidate 7 - Ability boost (+2 CHA), +1 level of dragonfire adept casting
    5th Dragonfire Adept 2 +2 +4 +1 +6 Bluff 8, Disguise 8, Sense motive 4, Spellcraft 5, sleight of hand 8, Search 7, Open lock 7, concentration 1, intimdate 8 - Breath effect(Frost Breath), scales +2
    6th Chameleon 1 +2 +4 +1 +6 Bluff 9, Disguise 8, Sense motive 4, Spellcraft 5, sleight of hand 9, Search 8, Open lock 8, concentration 1, intimidate 9 , skill trick: Conceal spellcasting Practiced Spellcaster (Chameleon) Aptitude focus 1/day (+2)

Epic Feats
    Frightful presence
    Draconic knowledge
    entangling exhalation
    Draconic resistance
    Draconic toughness
    Ability focus (Breath weapon)
    Draconic skin
    Exhaled Barrier
    lightning reflexes
    Skill focus(Bluff)

Invocations
    Beguiling influence, Magic insight

Spells
    If the Chameleon picks divine spellcasting, he can get any divine spell of 1st or 2nd level, and gets them the same way a cleric does. Pick the spells you expect to need in the upcoming adventuring day. Examples could be endure elements when doing desert survival, Doom in case you have a plan relying on someone failing a save, zone fo truth in case you need to question someone, etc.

If the Chameleon has picked arcane spellcasting, he's dependent on spells he's been able to find, as he doesn't get any spells known. He can copy spells into his spellbook like a wizard would. That having been said, you should try and get your hands on scrolls made by a trapsmith, as they get all kinds of nice spells at lower spell level, such as haste(1st), dispel magic(1st) and dimension door(2nd). If that's not possible, taking many of the low level usual suspects (grease, glitterdust, invisibility, etc.) should help you as well.

Spoiler: Crunchy Numbers
    Show

HD: 5d8+8(first HD)+18(CON)+12(Draconic toughness)+1(Dragontouched), average: 61
    AC: 15 or higher. John's unarmored AC is only 15, but Chameleon gives proficiency with all forms of armor, which is useful when he isn't suing the arcane focus aptitude.
    Breath weapon: 2d6, Reflex for half: DC 17
    Vision: Low-light, dark-vision 60 feet, blindsense 20 feet (Draconic senses)
    Fire resistance 18 (draconic resistance)
    Spoiler: Skill modifiers
    Show

Bluff +14 (+20 with beguiling influence)
    Disguise +10
    Sense motive +6
    Spellcraft +7
    sleight of hand +11
    Search +16
    Spot +8
    listen +8
    Open lock +10
    concentration +4
    intimidate +11 (+17 with beguiling influence)
    Knowledge(all) +8

Spoiler: Playstyle
    Show

John Drake is good at a lot of things. He knows a decent bit about everything, he can find a needle in a haystack, and then use that needle to open a locked door, he can bluff himself past a lot of problems, and can cast a spell or two when he feels like it. His particular skill-set makes him perfect for courtly intrigue, or a heist, or just about any other job that doesn't involve a lot of single combat.

John can help the party out on the social front, and having decent bonuses for all knowledges make him an excellent resource. He won't do as well as someone who specialized in a knowledge skill, but since it's unlikely all knowledge's will be covered by the party he can pick up the slack where their knowledge fails. Between spells and skills, he can also help the party on the infiltration front. The lack of hide and move silently can be compensated for with a spell or two, or a really good disguise and a quick story, while his decent senses and skill with various tools will allow him to find what he's looking for, and get it out of whatever container is protecting it.

His damage in combat is abysmal, but if there's a party around him he has a number of useful crowd control abilities. He can entangle everyone within his breath weapon range, or put up a barrier of frost or flames. Frightful presence allows him to cause hordes of weaker enemies to become shaken. If he's picked divine or arcane focus for his chameleon aptitude he can also cast a couple of spells to help his party out.

Spoiler: Notes for the judges
    Show

John has [Draconic] feats, being Draconic Heritage, Draconic Senses, Draconic knowledge, Draconic resistance, Draconic toughness and Draconic skin. With the exception of Draconic skin, all of these scale with the number of Draconic feats you have. John has 6 of these, so the final effect for each of these feats will correspond to that number of draconic feats.

Dragonfire adept does benefit from the increased spellcaster level from human paragon. It increases the breath weapon damage, DC and invocations known as if the adept was 2 levels higher than he actually is, so by character level 5 he knows 2 invocations and can use his breath weapon as if he was a level 4 dragonfire adept.

Practiced spellcaster (Chameleon) could be considered an invalid pick, since a chameleon is only a spellcaster some of the time. I haven't been able to find an official definition of what is and isn't a spellcasting class, and the Chameleon does have spell slots listed in his class information, so I'm assuming he qualifies. I might have missed such an official definition, however.

Show

Dragon magic: Dragonfire Adept, Draconic knowledge, draconic senses
    Unearthed Arcana: Human Paragon
    Races of destiny: Chameleon, Able learner
    Races of the dragon: Draconic heritage, Draconic resistance, Draconic toughness, Draconic skin, entangling exhalation, exhaled barrier
    Draconomicon: Frightful presence
    complete scoundrel: conceal spellcasting
    Monster manual: Ability focus
    complete divine: practiced spellcaster
    PHB: skill focus, lightning reflexes
    complete adventurer: jack of all trades

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Time for a RAGEADIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Heru Sunblood
    Heru Sunblood
    In the desert the sun always looks down with its vengeful glare. So too does Horus-Re, the mighty Lord of the Sun. I am simply a conduit for his divine wrath as I enforce his law.

Show
    The Sunbloods are a small Orcish tribe living in the Plains of Purple Dust on the borders of Mulhorand. They made their home in the Amethyst Canyons where they mined the canyons namesake for trade to human tribes on the borders of the desert. His mother was an orc who had a brief liaison with a human on one of these trade trips although she refused to speak of his father to Heru. His half breed status meant he was shunned growing up and he left to travel the world and try to find his place at an early age. He travelled in the human lands of the Mulhorand empire hoping to find more acceptance there but was sorely disappointed. His estrangement built into a mighty fury and he raged against the injustices of the world.

It was at this time that he encountered a cleric of Horus-Re. Heru took in his teachings and felt the call of the divine echoing in his soul. He dedicated his life to the Lord of the Sun and began fighting for his his faith. He had found a new outlet for his anger and by channeling it into holy fury he had a new sense of purpose in life. He spent many years waging war on behalf of his god and eventually reached the highest echelons of the church.

Spoiler: Build Stub
    Show
    LG Male Desert Half Orc
    Half Orc Paragon 2 / Paladin 4
    Whirling Frenzy variant instead of rage
    Half Orc Paladin substitution levels at 1 and 3
    Hit die: 2d12+2d10+2d8

Show
    Strength: 16
    Dexterity: 10
    Constitution: 12 + 2 racial = 14
    Intelligence: 12 - 2 racial = 10
    Wisdom: 12
    Charisma: 15 + 1 level up = 16

Spoiler: Build Progression
    Show
    1st Half Orc Paragon 1 +1 +2 +0 +0 Climb 4, Intimidate 4, Jump 4, Survival 4 Power Attack, Run (racial) Divided Ancestry, Monstrous Mien
    2nd Half Orc Paragon 2 +2 +3 +0 +0 Climb +1 (5), Intimidate +1 (5), Jump +1 (5), Survival +1 (5) Whirling Frenzy 1/day
    3rd Half Orc Paladin 1 +3 +5 +0 +0 Climb 5, Intimidate +1 (6), Jump 5, Knowledge (Religion) +1 (1), Survival 5 Extra Rage Aura of Good, Detect Evil, Righteous Fury 1/day
    4th Paladin 2 +4 +6 +0 +0 Climb 5, Intimidate 6, Jump 5, Knowledge (Religion) +2 (3), Survival 5 Divine Grace, Lay on Hands
    5th Half Orc Paladin 3 +5 +6 +1 +1 Climb 5, Intimidate +2 (8), Jump 5, Knowledge (Religion) 3, Survival 5 Aura of Awe, Divine Health
    6th Paladin 4 +6 +7 +1 +1 Climb 5, Intimidate 8, Jump 5, Knowledge (Religion) 3, Survival 5, Skill Trick (Never Outnumbered) +2 Imperious Command Turn Undead

E1: Intimidating Rage
    E2: Divine Might
    E3: Righteous Wrath
    E4: Law Devotion
    E5: Extra Turning
    E6: Menacing Demeanour
    E7: Resounding Blow
    E8: Initiate of Horus-Re
    E9: Extra Rage
    E10: Extra Turning

Level Spells per Day
    1st
    1st -
    2nd -
    3rd -
    4th -
    5th -
    6th 0 (1 with wisdom)

Typically prepares Rhino’s Rush in his one spell slot

Spoiler: Build Write Up
    Show
    1st to 3rd level – Heru starts life as a fairly standard half orc brawler. He has power attack and a decent strength so using a two handed weapon means he functions as a decent damage dealer. He has the first level of the SI which makes him particularly intimidating, a modifier of+10 means he has a solid chance of demoralising most enemies. His other skill selection aid him in traversing the wilderness of his homeland. The second level of the SI grants Heru Whirling Frenzy once a day. This gives him one combat a day with considerably boosted abilities. At third level he picks up Extra Rage bringing his combats with Whirling Frenzy up to a more respectable 3/day. He also leaves behind the SI, accepting the blessings of Horus-Re and progressing into Paladin. Because of his half orc nature he gains Righteous Fury for another combat boost which can be used on a fourth combat in a day or combined with Whirling Frenzy for a boss fight.

4th to 6th level – Heru becomes more charismatic in service of his god. This ties in nicely with gaining Divine Grace and Lay on Hands, both of which run off Charisma. He picks up some religious teachings at this level as intimidate isn’t a class skill for the regular paladin levels, then catches up on intimidate at 5th level. This combines nicely with Aura of Awe which gives a penalty to enemy enemies saves against fear. This in turn shines in combination with Imperious Command and Never Outnumbered which he picks up at 6th level. He can now demoralise everyone within 10ft causing them to cower from his fury. Conveniently this is the same radius as his Aura of Awe so they take a -2 to their check and need to beat his at a +15 modifier. Sadly he doesn’t have enough skill points to fully max out intimidate but his other bonuses more than make up for it. He also picks up Turn Undead which we will come back to later.

E1 to E3 – At epic levels now Heru grabs Intimidating Rage which gives him an alternative method of demoralising whilst in a Whirling Frenzy. If he is facing one opponent the free action activation means this will be his preference, although Never Outnumbered will still be of use against groups of enemies. He then gains Divine Might which lets him put his Turn Undead attempts to good use boosting his damage as a free action for six rounds a day. Then his frenzy become empowered by divine energy, giving him another fear effect against evil creatures. This will leave enemies frightened when they recover from the cowering inflicted by Imperious Command. The DC for this effect will be fairly low but his enemies will be suffering from Aura of Awe to help this land.

E4 to E7 – Heru’s devotion to the laws of his deity manifest and can grant him solid in combat buffs to hit or AC that can be switched each round as needed. Extra Turning provides more fuel to power his divine feats. With it he will have 10 turn attempts a day to split between extra uses of Law Devotion and on Divine Might. Menacing Demeanour gives another large boost to the intimidate skill. His modifier will be +19 now and few enemies should be able to make that save. His blows become particularly fearsome with Resounding Blow and he can leave enemies cowering if they fail a save after he crits them. For the additional crit chance Heru should wield a Falchion and if at all possible it should be enchanted with Keen.

E8 to E10 – His faith in his deity takes another step forward with his 8th epic feat as he gains Initiate of Horus-Re. The ability to turn into a hawk once a day provides some utility options for Heru. This is useful for scouting, infiltration, travel, avoiding obstacles and as a last resort as a method of escape. The last two feats give additional uses of limited resources adding to his combat stamina. Extra Rage a second time gives 5 combats a day in a Whirling Frenzy. Extra Turning brings Heru up to 14 turn attempts which for example would provide 3 additional uses of Law Devotion (4 total) and 5 uses of Divine Might.

Final stats
    AC: 10 + 8 (full plate) + 2 whirling frenzy = 20 (potentially 23 with law devotion)
    Attacks: +9 / +4 (base) or +9 / +9 / +4 (+whirling frenzy) or +12 / +12 / +7 (+law devotion) or +15 /+15 / +10 (+righteous fury)
    Damage: 2d4+4 (base) or 2d4+7 (+whirling frenzy) or 2d4+10 (+divine might) or 2d4+13 (+righteous fury)

Show
    Players Handbook / SRD: Paladin, Power Attack, Run, Extra Turning
    Unearthed Arcana / SRD: Half Orc Paragon, Desert Half Orc, Whirling Frenzy
    Races of Destiny: Menacing Demeanour, Half Orc Paladin
    Book of Exalted Deeds: Righteous Wrath, Resounding Blow
    Complete Scoundrel: Never Outnumbered
    Spell Compendium: Rhino’s Rush
    Complete Champion: Law Devotion
    Drow of the Underdark: Imperious Command
    Complete Warrior: Extra Rage, Intimidating Rage, Divine Might
    Champions of Valor: Initiate of Horus-Re

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

She has no ranks in Intimidate, but I'm still scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Helga
    Helga the Jungle Halfling Dinosaur Riding Boomerang Throwing Barbarian
    This halfling was very largely inspired by the Talenta Plains Halflings from Eberron. If you have not read this then please read this first: Races of Eberron pages 95-98. The section on the Talenta Plains Halflings. You will wonder I chose this as a racial paragon character if you don't!
    Spoiler: Base Stats
    Show
    Jungle Halfling
    16 str
    16 dex
    14 con
    12 int
    8 wis
    10 cha
    Level up into STR
    Spoiler: The Build
    Show

Level
    Class
    Base Attack Bonus
    Fort Save
    Ref Save
    Will Save
    Skills
    Feats
    Class Features
    1st Ranger +1 +2 +2 +0 Handle Animal +4, Hide +4, Move Silently +4, Ride +4, Survival +4, Climb +4, Craft Poison +4 Talenta Warrior Favored Enemy Animal, Track, Wild Empathy
    2nd Barbarian +2 +4 +2 +0 Handle Animal +5, Ride +5, Craft Poison +5, Survival +5, Climb +5 Fast Movement, Whirling Frenzy
    3rd Ranger +3 +5 +3 +0 Handle Animal +6, Hide +5, Move Silently +5, Ride +6, Survival +6, Climb +6, Craft Poison +6 Wild Cohort Weapon Style: Two Weapon Fighting
    4th Halfling Paragon +3 +5 +5 +0 Climb +7, Hide +6, Move Silently +6, Survival +7, Craft Poison +7 Athletic Prowess, Save Bonus
    5th Halfling Paragon +4 +5 +6 +0 Climb +8, Hide +7, Move Silently +7, Survival +8, Craft Poison +8 Thrown Weapon Mastery
    6th Halfling Paragon +5 +6 +6 +1 Climb +9, Hide +8, Move Silently +8, Survival +9, Craft Poison +9 Mounted Combat +2 Dex Boost
    Epic 1 Boomerang Daze
    Epic 2 Mounted Archery
    Epic 3 Improved Mounted Archery
    Epic 4 Quick Draw
    Epic 5 Point Blank Shot
    Epic 6 Rapid Shot
    Epic 7 Boomerang Ricochet
    Epic 8 Dinosaur Wrangler
    Epic 9 Dinosaur Hunter
    Epic 10 Extra Rage

Spoiler: Story Time
    Show
    Helga a Jungle Halfling from Talenta Plains. She raised as a hunter. She grew as hunter. She ride dino. She throw boomerang. She get mad. She got mad at chief. Chief got boomerang to face. Chief use dino. She use dino. Chief use spear. She use boomerang. Boomerang win. Chief dino lose. Chief lose. She chief. Me think she eat chief. Me could be wrong. Helga true Halfling hunter. Helga chief now. Helga boss. Helga please no hit me.

Spoiler: The Big Picture
    Show
    What, didn't you read Story Time? I think that halfling explained what she does pretty well, dont you think? I mean seriously, she rides a dinosaur, and throws boomerangs. She hunts very well. And she is from the Talenta Plains. I mean seriously, she can throw up to 4 boomerangs in a turn and hit up to 8 targets with her boomerangs. These boomerangs pack a punch what with all the bonuses halflings get to throwing, what halfling paragon gives to throwing, and she's freakishly strong for one of them damned little creatures. Oh and not to mention, she has a friggin dinosaur that she raised. I think she cares more about that dinosaur than she does about her family. Could be wrong, but she hardly ever leaves that dinosaur. And she makes poisons?!? I mean seriously what the crap. And she can use a Talenta Sharrash.

Show

Player's Handbook: Ranger, Barbarian, Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery, Quick Draw, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot
    Races of Eberron: Talenta Warrior, Boomerang Daze, Boomerang Ricochet, Dinosaur Wrangler, Dinosaur Hunter
    Unearthed Arcana: Whirling Frenzy, Halfling Paragon
    http://archive.wizards.com/default.a...d/re/20031118a : Wild Cohort
    Complete Warrior: Improved Mounted Archery, Extra Rage
    Eberron Campaign Setting: Talenta Boomerang, Talenta Sharrash

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

RAGEADIN II: Electric Boogaloo!

Quote Originally Posted by Garek Grutshank
    Garek Grutshank

Race: Desert Half-Orc
    Build Stub: Paladin 1/Half-Orc Paragon 2/Paladin +3
    Multiclass Penalty: No.
    Languages: Common, Orc
    Alignment: LG
    Ability Scores:
    Ability Score Racial (Points)
    Strength 16 - (10)
    Dexterity 10 - (2)
    Constitution 14 +2 (4)
    Intelligence 10 -2 (4)
    Wisdom 12 - (4)
    Charisma 15 - (8)
    Ability Score Increase (4th): Charisma 16

1st Half-Orc Paladin 1 +1 +2 +0 +0 Intimidate 4, Jump 4 Intimidating Strike Aura of Good, Detect Evil, Righteous Fury 1/day
    2nd Half-Orc Paragon 1 +2 +4 +0 +0 Intimidate 5(+1), Jump 5(+1), Tumble 2(+2) Divided Ancestry, Monstrous Mien, Skilled City-Dweller ACF (Tumble)
    3rd Half-Orc Paragon 2 +3 +5 +0 +0 Intimidate 6(+1), Jump 5, Tumble 5(+3)[/B] Intimidating Rage Rage 1/day, Skilled City-Dweller ACF (Tumble)
    4th Paladin 2 +4 +6 +0 +0 Intimidate 6, Jump 7(+2), Tumble 5 Divine Grace, Lay On Hands
    5th Half-Orc Paladin 3 +5 +6 +1 +1 Intimidate 8(+2), Jump 7, Tumble 5 Aura of Awe, Divine Health
    6th Paladin 4 +6 +7 +1 +1 Intimidate 8, Jump 7, Tumble 5, Skill Trick: Never Outnumbered (+2) Imperious Command Turn Undead

Additional Feats:
    1. Extra Rage (Complete Warrior)
    2. Righteous Wrath (Book of Exalted Deeds)
    3. Frightful Presence (Draconomicon)
    4. Menacing Demeanor (Races of Destiny)
    5. MOAR Extra Rage (Complete Warrior)
    6. Power Attack
    7. Resounding Blow (Book of Exalted Deeds)
    8. Mad Foam Rager (PHBII)
    9. Divine Might (Complete Warrior)
    10. EVEN MOAR Extra Rage (Complete Warrior)

Paladin Spell: Usually deafening clang or swift bless weapon (Spell Compendium).

Spoiler: Level Breakdowns
    Show

Level 1: Garek starts off as a Half-Orc Paladin, which gives him d12 hit points, Intimidate as a class skill, and swaps Smite Evil for Righteous Fury. This last ability can be activated as a free action 1/day as a rage-like damage buff, stacks with other forms of rage, and lasts multiple rounds (1 + Cha bonus). Garek's first feat choice is Intimidating Strike, which allows him to combine a standard attack with an Intimidate check. In most 3.5 games, losing the ability to make a full attack would be considered a disadvantage, but in E6 standard attacks are much more common. If Garek later picks up some Fearsome armor (Drow of the Underdark), Intimidating Strike pairs up very well with the move-action demoralize. There is some disagreement over whether Intimidating Strike can be activated with a zero penalty, but even if the DM rules otherwise, a -1 penalty feels like a small price to pay for a debuff that lasts the entire encounter.

Level 2: At 2nd level, Garek enters Half-Orc Paragon, and the big pick-up here is Monstrous Mien, which gives him a +4 racial bonus on Intimidate checks. Half-Orc Paragon also gets more skill points, allowing Garek to pick up some ranks in Tumble via the Skilled City Dweller ACF.

Level 3: Who says Lawful Good can't get angry? Garek picks up not only Rage but Intimidating Rage, allowing him to demoralize an enemy as a free action while raging. This allows Garek to start a round with Intimidating Strike to shaken, and then follow up with a demoralize against the same enemy to make them frightened or shaken another enemy that he couldn't quite reach with a melee attack. With his extra skill points, Garek continues to max out Intimidate and puts the rest into Tumble.

Level 4: Garek returns to his career as a paladin, picking up Divine Grace and Lay On Hands. These abilities don't really involve being angry or intimidating, but they are signature abilities that everyone would expect a paladin (even an angry one) to have. This is not a substitution level, so Garek puts his 2 skill points into Jump.

Level 5: This is a substitution level, so Garek tops off Intimidate and picks up Aura of Awe, which gives any evil creature within 10' a -2 penalty against Intimidate checks and fear effects (or rather a +2 bonus from Garek's point of view). Garek's total Intimidate bonus against an evil opponent is up to +17 (8 ranks, +3 Cha, +4 Monstrous Mien, +2 Aura of Awe).

Level 6: Paladin 4 unlocks quite a few goodies. First, there's Turn Undead and 1st-level Paladin spells (such as deafening clang and swift bless weapon. With his two skill points, he picks up Never Outnumbered to demoralize multiple opponents. And for his 6th level feat, he picks up Imperious Command, causing his demoralized opponents to cower for a round. This means Garek can start off the round by closing into melee range with a move action, activate Righteous Fury as a free action, make an Intimidating Strike as a standard action, cast deafening clang as a swift action for +1d6 [sonic] damage and a save vs. deafness, make an Intimidate check if he hits, activate his Intimidating Rage to make a demoralize check as a free action against a target up to 30' away, and use Never Outnumbered to demoralize any other enemies within 10'.

To make sure he can do this more than once per day, Garek's first "epic" feat is Extra Rage. After that, Righteous Wrath adds an additional Will save vs. shaken against evil opponents. Frightful Presence adds an additional Will save vs. shaken to all opponents within 30' whenever Garek attacks or charges. Menacing Demeanor gives him another +4 untyped bonus on Intimidate checks, and then he can go back to stockpiling Extra Rage for additional rages per day. If 5/day is sufficient, then Garek can look at improving some other areas, such as Power Attack for more damage, Resounding Blow for an additional round of cowering, Mad Foam Rager for delaying attacks/spells/effects, and then maybe something that uses his Turn Undeads, such as a devotion feat or Divine Might.

Show

Book of Exalted Deeds: Righteous Wrath, Resounding Blow
    Cityscape Web Enhancement: Skilled City Dweller
    Complete Scoundrel: Never Outnumbered
    Complete Warrior: Intimidating Rage, Extra Rage, Divine Might
    Draconomicon: Frightful Presence
    Drow of the Underdark: Imperious Command
    Player's Handbook II: Intimidating Strike, Mad Foam Rager
    Races of Destiny: Half-Orc Paladin, Menacing Demeanor
    Unearthed Arcana: Desert Half-Orc

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

I won't directly make the joke, but yes, it is indeed stuck in my head right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcas Thistlethwaite
    Dorcas Thistlethwaite, Badger Lady

Chaotic Good Venerable Stonehunter Gnome
    Savage Bard 2/Marshall 1/Gnome Paragon 3

Show
    Ability Score Racial Lvl 4 (Middle Age) Lvl 5 (Old Age) Lvl 6 (Venerable)
    Strength 10 8 7 5 2
    Dexterity 14 14 13 11 8
    Constitution 10 12 11 9 6
    Intelligence 12 12 13 14 15
    Wisdom 10 10 11 12 13
    Charisma 18 18 20 (Inherent) 21 24 (Class Bonus)
    Level 4 Inherent Bonus added to CHA
    Gnome Paragon Level 3 Ability Boost added to CHA

Show

1st Savage Gnome Bard +0 +2 +0 +2 Balance 4, Bluff 4, Diplomacy 4, Handle Animal 2cc(4), Perform (Vocal) 3, Perform (Wind) 3, Sense Motive 4, Use Magic Device 2 Extra Music Bardic Music, Bardic Knowledge, Gnome Cantrips, Counter Fear, Fascinate, Inspire Courage +1, Illiteracy, Spellcasting
    2nd Savage Bard +1 +3 +0 +3 Balance 1(5), Bluff 1(5), Diplomacy 1(5), Handle Animal 2, Perform (Vocal) 3, Perform (Wind) 3, Sense Motive 1(5), Use Magic Device 3(5) - -
    3rd Marshal +1 +5 +0 +5 Balance 5, Bluff 5, Diplomacy 1(6), Handle Animal 4(6), Perform (Vocal) 3, Perform (Wind) 3, Sense Motive 5, Use Magic Device 5 Dragonfire Inspiration, Skill Focus (Diplomacy) (B) Minor Aura (Motivate Charisma), Skill Focus (Diplomacy)
    4th Gnome Paragon +1 +7 +0 +7 Balance 5, Bluff 2(7), Diplomacy 1(7), Handle Animal 1cc(7), Perform (Vocal) 3, Perform (Wind) 3, Sense Motive 5, Use Magic Device 5 - Illusion Aptitude, Keen Senses
    5th Gnome Paragon +2 +8 +0 +8 Balance 5, Bluff 1(8), Diplomacy 1(8), Handle Animal 1cc(8), Perform (Vocal) 3, Perform (Wind) 3, Sense Motive 1cc(6), Use Magic Device 5 - Mirror Image
    6th Gnome Paragon +3 +8 +1 +8 Balance 5, Bluff 1(9), Diplomacy 1(9), Handle Animal 1cc(9), Perform (Vocal) 3, Perform (Wind) 3, Sense Motive 1cc(7), Use Magic Device 5 Words of Creation Ability Boost (+2 CHA)

Epic Feats:
    1: Burrow Friend
    2-10: 9x Animal Friends

Spells Known/Spells per Day(Bonus)
    Level 0th 1st 2nd
    1st 5/2 - -
    2nd 6/3 2/0(1) -
    3rd 6/3 2/0(1) -
    4th 6/3 2/0(1) -
    5th 7/3 3/1(2) -
    6th 7/3 3/2(2) 2/0(2)

Spells Known:
    @lvl1: Cantrips: Prestidigitation, Ghost Sound, Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Message
    @lvl2: Cantrips: Mage Hand Lvl1: Inspirational Boost, Summon Nature's Ally I
    @lvl5: Cantrips: Lvl1: Silent Image
    @lvl6: Lvl2: Summon Nature's Ally II, Elation

Spoiler: Level 1-3: Adventure!, or “I Remember When…”
    Show
    When Dorcas Thistelthwaite was a young Gnome lass, she ran wild through the countryside around the Stonehunter Gnome town of Deephollow. A precocious lass quick with a laugh and a song, her charming nature allowed for many an indulgence from her elders. As she grew, wanderlust rose in her veins so strong that when a passing group of adventurers stopped in the town for resupply Dorcas stole herself away and joined the group in search of adventure and glory. Years passed in happy abandon, following wherever the road took the group. Over time membership changed as adventurers died or moved on, till one day Dorcas found herself the most senior of the party remaining. Dubbed by her compatriots ‘Captain Thistle,’ Dorcas lead her adventures with a deft hand, motivating them to feats many would have thought impossible
    Spoiler: Non-Fluff
    Show

Dorcas’ first two levels are as a Savage Gnome Bard, which is both a Racial Substitution and a Variant class. The Gnome Bard Substitution level (at 1) limits the number of Cantrips known to two, and gives Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound, and Prestidigitation as known Cantrips in exchange. Since we are likely to take those three anyways, this is great. Additionally, Dorcas loses the Countersong ability and gains Counter Fear, which allows allies to use Dorca’s Perform checks in place of Will saves vs fear. The Savage Bard variant trades away Decipher Script and Speak Language for Survival, has good Fort and Will saves, makes Dorcas illiterate, and makes some changes to the spell list including adding Summon Nature’s Ally (I-IV). Normally a Savage Bard loses Prestidigitation among other things, but luckily Gnome Bard brings it back. Dorcas picks up Extra Music at level 1 because it’s nice to be able to use your class features occasionally. At Skill-wise, Dorcas is maxing out Diplomacy and Bluff (save for a small blip at level 3), picking up the bare minimum to perform Inspire Courage and Counter Fear with both her voice and wind instruments, and getting somewhat handy at using magic items. Her fondness for animals comes online in a major way at level 3 where she tops off Handle Animal, which will stay maxed for the rest of her career.
    At level three Dorcas takes a level in Marshal. This give access to a Minor Aura, which is chosen to be motivate charisma, which allows Dorcas and all allies to add her CHA modifier to all Charisma based checks and skills. Since her CHA is massive and about to spike harder, this is a rather huge buff. At this point Dorcas gets in touch with her Draconic heritage and picks up Dragonfire Inspiration to turn her Inspire Courage bonus into d6s of fire damage.

In these levels Dorcas is a combat support character with Inspire Courage/Dragonfire Inspiration and a limited number of spells, of which in combat she might use Summon Nature’s Ally I and Inspirational Boost for better IC/DI. Out of combat, she is a very capable party face, with at level 3 CHA to charisma based skills twice, maxed Bluff/Diplomacy, and Skill Focus (Diplomacy) from her level of Marshal. With 5 ranks in UMD and a +8 ability modifier (2xCHA) she has a decent chance to activate wands.

Spoiler: Level 4-6: Retirement the First, or “Back in My Day”
    Show
    After many years of adventure Dorcas Thistlethwaite decided to rest on her laurels and retire back to Deephollow. “After all,” she’d say, “I’m not as young as I used to be. It’s time for some younger folk to take over the adventuring game.” Dorcas would spend her days idly enjoying the weather, going on long walks and communing with the creatures, and generally enjoying life as it came. After a while however, idleness began to chafe, and Dorcas found herself beginning to meddle about town, simply for something to occupy her. It didn’t take long, but soon Dorcas found herself deeply involved in the local council, helping advocate for Gnomeish rights and freedoms. For years Dorcas was a fixture of the local establishment, until none could recall a time before the Venerable Gnome had been serving.
    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show

Dorcas enters the SI! Gnome Paragon levels couple nicely with Dorcas’ kit. Keen Senses improves on the Racial bonuses to Craft(Alchemy) and Listen, neither of which Dorcas has put any effort into, though free bonuses on listen are always nice. Illusion Aptitude allows Dorcas to add her Paragon Class level to the CL of any illusion spell she can cast as well as racial illusion SLAs, which helps with save DCs and will boost her CL to 7 eventually for such spells. The second level of Gnome Paragon advances Bard spellcasting, allowing knowledge of Silent Image, which takes advantage of Illusion Aptitude. This level also gives Mirror Image 1/day as an SLA with CL equal to Paragon level, which should also benefit from Illusion Aptitude. The third and final level of the SI advances spellcasting to CL4, which gives access to second level spells, and Dorcas picks up Summon Nature’s Ally II and Elation. The capstone +2CHA is also appreciated. The level 6 feat chosen is Words of Creation, which among other things improves on Inspire Courage/Dragonfire Inspiration values. Depending on the DM’s reading of the feat this is either just ok (doubling the base +1 from the class only) or fantastic (if it doubles all bonuses), giving up to a +8/+8d6 bonus if we assume +1 base, +1 Inspirational Boost, +1 Masterwork Horn, and +1 from a Badge of Valor.

It is worth noting that Words of Creation was qualified for (the WIS 15 requirement) due to the advancing age modifiers. Some storytelling liberties were taken here, as it is assumed that Dorcas’ community service spanned centuries, over which she slowly levels up in Gnome Paragon, achieving the Pinnacle of Gnomeishness as she reaches a Venerable Age.

On a skill usage side, at level 6 Dorcas has CHA 24 for a bonus of + 7, which is doubled for all charisma based skills. Therefore she has Bluff and Diplomacy checks of +23 and +28 respectively, as well as a +19UMD, allowing her to activate wands without fail. Her Handle Animal check is a decent +23 as well, which will become relevant as she heads into retirement (Epic Feats).

Spoiler: Epic Feats: Commence the En-Badgering!, or “Aren’t They Just the Sweetest?
    Show
    One day, ancient beyond reckoning, Councilor Thistlethwaite decided to retire once again. While she found the break from responsibilities and daily regimen refreshing, once again she found idleness and loneliness as hard to embrace as she once had years before. Contemplating this sorry state upon a walk one afternoon Dorcas stumbled upon a young badger kit, just striking out on its own. Enticing the young creature with various snacks secreted about her person, the old Gnome soon had a staunch companion, and she found that the rambunctious little creature brought her great joy; its very presence lifted the melancholy she had fallen into since her retreat from society. Shortly the Thistlethwaite residence was a place of startling energy and abandon, as Dorcas sought out and adopted what seemed to be every badger in the area. And there she lives to this day on the fringes of Deephollow proud mother to an ever-growing swarm of badgers
    Spoiler: Kibble?
    Show

Dorcas has but two Epic feats: Burrow Friend, which allows her to use her racial ability to talk to burrowing animals a whopping 8 times a day, as well as giving an additional +2 to Handle Animal checks for a total modifier of +25, which will come in handy with training her army of badgers.

Said badgers are acquired through the rest of her Epic feats, all nine of which are Animal Friends, which allows Dorcas to attract 2HD of badgers for each instance of the feat. Dorcas will choose to attract 2HD badgers for a total of nine furry companions. Badger stats can be found on the SRD here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/badger.htm). She will then apply the Warbeast Template (trivial DC17 and DC 22 Handle Animal checks) to them all, which gives +10ft base speed, +3 STR/CON, +2 WIS, and +1HD. As 3HD creatures the badgers qualify for one additional feat, and will all pick up Swarmfighting, which allows all nine badgers to fit in the same 5’ square and get +1 morale bonus on attack roles per badger threatening the same creature, up to a max of their DEX bonus (+3). Each badger is now a raging, flaming, fighting machine, with a full attack routine of: 2 claws +8 (1d2+1+8d6fire) and bite +3 (1d3+1+8d6fire). At only 3d8+6 hp they are somewhat squishy, but there are quite a few of them. They can be further enhanced with a casting of Elation, which gives a further +2STR/DEX, +5’.

And there you have it folks, Dorcas Thistlethwaite, Badger Lady!

Spoiler: Recommended Items
    Show
    As you love sweet little old ladies and small woodland animals, pick up some STR and CON boosters before you take Dorcas out for a spin! Everything else is at your discretion (though the standard Inspire Courage boosters are recommended), but she is basically incapable of going for long walks without magic, much less taking a hit!

Spoiler: Build Variations
    Show
    There are two distinct potential stumbling blocks with this build, both contingent upon the feat Animal Friends. The first is that this feat is based on a 3.0 spell (Animal Friendship) that was effectively replaced by the Animal Companion class feature, and Animal Friends may not be allowed at all anymore. Should that be the case, fairly substantial revision would need to be done for the Epic Feats. A start would be to take Obtain Familiar and Improved Familiar as well as Wild Cohort and Natural Bond to get two badgers of varying utility. The latter option was considered for the principle build, but rejected based on the fact that 9x Animal Friends is more entertaining, at least to this chef. That would still leave 5 feats to be replaced, at which point you would probably go the Zen Archery route, as your combat effectiveness can no longer depend entirely upon a horde of flaming badgers.

The second potential issue with the build as presented is that the text of the Animal Friends and the associated spell may make it impossible to advance your badgers beyond 2HD by any means without them scampering off into the sunset. If that’s the case, you can’t get 3HD badgers, and they then can’t all be given Swarmfighting. In fact, if this is the case then you can’t even advance 1HD badgers with Warbeast (the fallback option for this build = more badgers offsets less hp and chance of hitting), which is pretty sad. If this is an issue, then this build become rather less effective, as 2HD badgers aren’t that scary at ECL6 with 10 extra feats and gear, no matter how much they are on fire.

Another option is to not make use of the age category stat boosts which were mostly used for fluff reasons – old cat ladies are more stereotypical than young cat ladies after all. This makes Dorcas significantly less fragile at later levels, but also makes her party face abilities much less potent. To do this and qualify for Words of Creation, swap the initial Dex and Wisdom Scores, and place the 4th level stat bonus in Wisdom.

Some of the spell choices were made for thematic sense (Calm Animals, Summon Nature’s Ally) and could be swapped out for others (e.g. Instant of Power, Glitterdust)

Show

Dragon Magic (DrM) – Stonehunter Gnome (p8), Dragonfire Inspiration (p17)
    Unearthed Arcana (UA) – Savage Bard (p50), Gnome Paragon (p36)
    Miniatures Handbook (MH) – Marshal (p11)
    Complete Adventurer (CAd) – Extra Music (p109)
    Book of Exalted Deeds (BoED) – Words of Creation (p48), Elation (p98)
    Spell Compendium (SpC) – Inspirational Boost (p124)

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

"Fanboy of the concept of half-elves" is definitely a new one for me . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bann Ru'Falo/Jedeck Hyll
    Bann Ru’Falo/Jedeck Hyll
    Chaotic Good Changeling
    Martial Changeling Rogue 2/Half-Elf Paragon 2/Half-Orc Paragon 2

Show
    In a dimly lit corner of the bar sat a handsome half-elf, just slightly too well-dressed for the establishment. He was notable to other patrons not just for his attire, but also for the appearance of his dinner companion. Upon a glance one might say with certainty that he sat across from another half-elf – and quite a pretty one at that – though upon a second or third she seemed clearly human, or perhaps even one of the ethereal elves. While the young man evinced no consternation at his companion’s shifting form, there was an air of somewhat strained cordiality between the two; first dates, after all, are always somewhat awkward.
    The evening had reached the point of sharing of amusing anecdotes, and the young half-elf was currently on the spot. “…my mother used to tell me that if I wasn’t careful my face would get stuck that way.” He smiled, features already brightening in anticipation of the coming punchline.
    “She was more right than she knew,” he chuckled, indicating his countenance with a negligent wave of the hand. “I find that the face you see before you is the one I most readily recognize in the mirror. Anyways, as you might suspect my unwillingness to relinquish a half-elven face did not earn me any friends in the Quarter, indeed…”
    The young man brought the story to a light-hearted conclusion, skirting by fights and loneliness that stemmed from the cruelty of children for one who appears and acts differently. From there the conversation evolved, both participants relaxing as they found much to be admired in each other. It seemed the lady had for many years played in orchestras of progressing prominence and would shortly perform at the Grand Symphony. The young Half-Elf had parlayed a passing acquaintance some years prior into social success of no small amount among the half-elven high society and hoped to be able to attend the performance….
    The evening was progressing amiably, the two voices rising and twining with sincere appreciation. Dessert was underway when the rising notes of a growing altercation intruded upon the easy comradery the pair had found throughout the meal. Over at the bar a burly human had cornered a young woman, standing aggressively close and gesticulating with increasing vehemence and volume as his advances were rebuffed. The young gentleman excused himself from his lovely date and approached the pair, strong tenor voice cutting through the furious man’s tirade as he addressed himself to the woman pinned against the bar.
    “Pardon me, ma’am, but are you quite alright?”
    The aggresive human rounded on him with a snarl on his lips, fists tensed and spat “Mind your own business knife-ear.”
    The half-elf ignored him, eyes trained on the woman still trapped, pleasant expression on his face. “Should you wish there is room at our table, where you will be asked for nothing save that which you choose to share.”
    Incensed at being ignored, the enraged man grabbed a bottle off the countertop and swung at the half-elf. A gasp escaped the young woman left behind at the corner table as, impossibly quick, a hand shot out and caught the man’s arm mid-swing, stopping it cold. Finally, the half-elf turned his gaze to the man who had swung at him.
    “Ah, my apologies; I never properly introduced myself. I am Bann Ru’Falo,” as he spoke the half-elf’s features shifted, skin becoming swarthy, limbs thickening, tusks pushing out past full lips, “but perhaps you may be more familiar with the name Jedek Hyll.”
    A massively muscled half-orc stood where moments before the slender half-elf gentleman had been. Whispers spread through the suddenly quite room as every person there was caught by the tableau. …It’s the Champion of the Ring…. …the Fearsome War-Hulk... …never been defeated… …what’s he doing here… …incredible… The human’s face was a ghastly white, and the massive fist still clenched around his arm seemed the only thing keeping him standing. Muscle corded on the upraised forearm, and with a cry the human dropped the bottle to shatter on the floor.
    A basso rumble issued from between prominent tusks. “I think you should go.”
    The man nodded furiously, words tripping over each other as he hastened to assent. Released, he fled. The towering half-orc turned back to the woman at the bar.
    “Will you be alright, ma’am?”
    “I…yes, I think I will. Thank you.”
    “Then I will bid you a good evening.”
    The half-orc cast an eye to his companion still seated by the abandoned dessert, and at some unspoken understanding she rose and approached. A gestured spilled coins on the bar as he turned to his date with arm proffered, and together they walked out into the night. As they departed the deep voice could be softly heard; “My apologies, Lady, for the interruption. I hope it has not put me too far out of your good graces. If you would so allow…”

Show
    Ability Score Lvl 4 Increase
    Strength 14 15 (+1)
    Dexterity 10 10
    Constitution 10 10
    Intelligence 14 14
    Wisdom 10 10
    Charisma 16 16

Show

1st Martial Changeling Rogue +0 +0 +2 +0 Balance 4, Bluff 4, Climb 4, Decipher Script 4, Diplomacy 4, Disguise 4, Gather Information 4, Intimidate 4, Jump 4, Sense Motive 4, Tumble 4, Use Magic Device 4 Racial Emulation, Improved Unarmed Strike (B) Bonus Fighter Feat; Social Intuition
    2nd Rogue +1 +0 +3 +0 Balance 1(5), Bluff 1(5), Climb 1(5), Diplomacy 1(5), Disguise 1(5), Gather Information 1(5), Intimidate 1(5), Sense Motive 1(5), Tumble 1(5), Use Magic Device 1(5); Decipher Script 4, Jump 4 Combat Expertise (B) Bonus Fighter Feat; Evasion
    3rd Half-Elf Paragon +1 +0 +5 +0 Bluff 1(6), Diplomacy 1(6), Sense Motive 1cc(6), Use Magic Device 1cc(6); Balance 5, Climb 5, Decipher Script 4, Disguise 5, Gather Information 5, Intimidate 5, Jump 4, Tumble 5 Quick Change, Power Attack Bonus Feat, Divided Ancestry, Elven Vision
    4th Half-Elf Paragon +2 +0 +6 +0 Bluff 1(7), Diplomacy 1(7), Sense Motive 1cc(7), Use Magic Device 1cc(7); Balance 5, Climb 5, Decipher Script 4, Disguise 5, Gather Information 5, Intimidate 5, Jump 4, Tumble 5 - Persuasion
    5th Half-Orc Paragon +3 +2 +6 +0 Bluff 1cc(8), Diplomacy 1cc(8), Intimidate 2(7); Balance 5, Climb 5, Decipher Script 4, Disguise 5, Gather Information 5, Jump 4, Sense Motive 7, Tumble 5, Use Magic Device 7 - Divided Ancestry, Monstrous Mien
    6th Half-Orc Paragon +4 +3 +6 +0 Diplomacy 1cc(9), Intimidate 2(9); Balance 5, Bluff 8, Climb 5, Decipher Script 4, Disguise 5, Gather Information 5, Jump 4, Sense Motive 7, Tumble 5, Use Magic Device 7
    SKILL TRICK: Never Outnumbered
    Extra Rage Rage 1/day

Epic Feats:
    1: Extra Rage
    2: Channeled Rage
    3: Intimidating Rage
    4: Imperious Command
    5: Frightful Presence
    6: Menacing Demeanor
    7: Improved Trip
    8: Knock-Down
    9: Flying Kick
    10: Headlong Rush

Spoiler: Notes on the Questionable Legality of this Build
    Show
    I know, this looks bad: two Racial Paragon Classes, and they’re not ones that share a divided ancestry? AND the base race isn’t EITHER of the Paragon Class intended races? Bear with me a moment, and all shall be made clear.

The first and most obviously egregious issue here is the use of Changeling to qualify for both Half-Elf and Half-Orc Paragon classes here. The ability to do so is due entirely to the level one feat choice Racial Emulation. This feats is a nifty little thing that allows a Changeling, when using their Minor Shapeshift ability to appear as a race, to also be “considered to be a member of that race for all other purposes.” There’s a very strong argument for that to mean a Changeling can qualify for any racial class or feat, providing that they are emulating that race at the moment of acquisition. That last clause is important, because while it seems feasible that a Changeling emulating a Half-Elf could qualify for Half-Elf Paragon, it would require meta-gaming to ensure that your character is in fact doings so at the moment of leveling up. It is at this point I feel it behooves me to note that I fully expect and understand Elegance deductions, and perhaps even outright disqualification (though sadness will ensue in the case of the latter). I am aware this has a distinctly ripe odor about it, but I believe it to be RAW legal, so with that out of the way we move on to the second problematic portion of the build.

“Alright,” I hear you say, “I am willing to suspend disbelief for the Racial Emulation Shenanigans, but how do you explain having BOTH Half-Elf and Half-Orc Paragons?” I’m glad you asked. It’s true that the only way to have two Racial Paragon classes is when you start with either of the aforementioned Half-Creature classes and make use of Divided Ancestry to get into one of the Elf, Orc, or Human Paragon classes. HOWEVER!! There is a single crucial sentence on page 32 of Unearthed Arcana which reads thusly: “If a character has already taken racial paragon levels in his original race, he can never become a paragon of another race.” My emphasis on ‘original race.’ This is important because Bann never takes a level in a paragon class of his original race because there is no Changeling Paragon class! Therefore this rule prohibiting multiple Paragon Classes does not become triggered, and Bann can have both Half-Elf and Half-Orc Paragon class levels. It is at this point I should note an expectation of further Elegance point deductions, because this is really splitting hairs. I’m calling worth on it pre-emptively.

This brings up another potential point of friction with the build: when Bann is emulating a race other than one of the Racial Paragon classes he has, what happens? If we’re working with Complete Warrior rules, he no longer qualifies for the prestige class. This is actually less of an issue than might otherwise be the case when emulating either Half-Elf or Half-Orc races, as the two Racial Paragon Classes are intended to fulfill different roles; Half-Elf Paragon improves our social capabilities, whereas Half-Orc Paragon makes us a scary killing machine. The fact that you can shift as a move action makes this even less of an issue. HOWEVER, there’s a way out of this question written in the rules for racial paragon classes. The following clause from page 32 of Unearthed Arcana states that: “shapechanging and form-altering magics also cause no loss of a Paragon’s class abilities.” Therefore we don’t need to worry about losing abilities, though it is nice to note that the build doesn’t really suffer even if you do.

With all that out of the way, let’s move on to the meat of the build write-up!

Spoiler: Build Notes
    Show
    Levels 1&2:
    Bann starts off life as a changeling who really wants to be a Half-Elf. His level 1 feat Racial Emulation allows this to be more than just a passing fancy as his Minor Shapechange racial ability now allows him to mimic racial features for the purpose of prereqs, though it will be a little while before his dedication to the form pays off (wait until level 3). In the meantime, he takes two levels of Rogue, using the Martial Rogue ACF to swap out +1d6 Sneak Attack for two fighter feats, giving him Improved Unarmed Strike at level one with which to defend himself against changeling child bullies, and Combat Expertise at level 2 to further take a beating. The excellent Racial Substitution level for Changeling Rogues at level one gives him a truly absurd amount of skill points, which will be used to set him up for his primary role at these levels: party face. At level one we max all the social skills, as well as some ancillary utility skills such as Decipher Scrip, Disguise, and UMD. Physical skills Jump, Balance, and Climb are also maxed. Note that Bann is taking no ranks in any of the traditional skillmonkey skills such as Disable Device; this is due to the excellent Changeling Rogue feature Social Intuition, which swaps out trapfinding for a number of social benefits, the most notable of which is the ability to take 10 on Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, and Sense Motive. This is the single best level for a social character, and Bann takes it without a second thought. In combat Bann is relatively bad at this point however. With 3/4 BAB and no SA, he’s a squishy somewhat ineffectual combatant. Not to worry – at the moment Bann is a social animal at heart.

Levels 3&4:
    At level 3 Bann’s nigh-obsession with Half-Elves has paid off: he gets a level of Half-Elf Paragon. This comes with a number of benefits. First, there’s a bonus feat (presumably due to the human half) with which Power Attack is picked up. To be perfectly frank this is a prereq acquisition, as with only +1 BAB at level 3 Bann can get effectively no usage from this. Elven Vision gives Bann +2 on racial spot and Search checks, but as he doesn’t have those it has no effect. Finally the first level of Half-Elf Paragon gives Bann the first of his Divided Ancestries, which will have no RAW effect, but gives him leave to emulate a Human without technically betraying his adopted race. The Quick Change feat allows Bann to use his Minor Shapechange ability as a move action, which is useful for slipping away into a crowd when he blunders socially. This will become more useful later on in the build.
    The second level of Half-Elf Paragon is good to Bann – at this point he picks up Persuasion, which gives a boost to existing Racial bonuses to Diplomacy and Gather Information, as well as gains a +2 Racial Bonus on all other Charisma-based skills. As before, Bann has no racial bonus to Diplomacy or Gather Information and so doesn’t benefit from this portion of the class feature, HOWEVER, he will still gain the new racial bonus to all other Charisma skills, as that does not specify which race it is a racial bonus of (RAI is pretty clear, but hey, this is optimization). At this point that means Bann has social check modifiers of +14, +12, +12 to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate respectively without gear or items, which is none too shabby. Combat wise Bann’s still probably better off avoiding it.

Levels 5&6:
    At some point Bann got bored with being a Half-Elf dilettante, and decided to learn how to fight good. That led him to the Half-Orcs, and in his typical obsessive fashion he spent enough time/effort emulating them that he eventually qualifies for the Half-Orc Paragon Class. Half-Orc Paragon comes with full BAB and good Fort saves, bolstering some of his weak spots. The first level of the class gives a second Divided Ancestry, which entertainingly enough makes Bann effectively four races whenever he uses Minor Shapechange to look Human. This has literally no RAW effect as far as I can figure, so…. The first level also gives Bann the Monstrous Mien feature, which gives a +4 racial bonus to intimidate at the very least when he appears as a half-orc, and possibly all the time (see earlier notes about build legality). Bann’s final level is also in Half-Orc Paragon, and here he picks up the Rage class feature 1/day. Taking Extra Rage as the level 6 feat means that when he’s looking like a Half-Orc Bann becomes a decent melee fighter 3/day. With +4 BAB, and STR 19 when raging he can actually hit things and do some damage. When hitting mooks he can use PA for some extra damage. Once Bann feels he’s got this combat thing down at least a little he takes on the stage name Jedek Hyll and enters the arena as a Half-Orc Gladiator.

Once we’ve entered the Half-Orc Paragon class the full playstyle is achieved. Bann now has two distinct identities/forms to use depending on whether he’s in a social situation or a combat one. Quick Change allows him to swap between them at a moment’s notice. We’ve been over the combat form, so a quick recap of the social skills: at this point Bann/Jedek has +15, +14, +19 for Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate respectively. Don’t forget Social Intuition allows him to take ten with these skills too.

Epic Feats:
    E1 & E2:
    More uses of Rage makes Bann/Jedek more able to fight all day long, and Channeled Rage helps cover for one of his glaring weaknesses: the abysmal (read non-existent) Will Save

E3 –> E6:
    These feats capitalize on the social adeptness and flat out scariness of a Half-Orc rage-monster. Intimidating Rage gives a free action demoralize attempt to one foe when you start raging. Coupled with Imperious Command and the Never Outnumbered skill trick makes Bann/Jedek a fearsome battlefield controller. Add on Frightful Presence for an additional chance to make your foes too scared to fight. With Menacing Demeanor and Monstrous Mein as well as full skill ranks, a CHA score of 16, Persuasion, and Social Intuition Bann/Jedek gets to take 10 on a demoralize check for an un-augmented 32.

E7 & E8:
    Battlefield control through being the scariest dude on the field is not enough forBann/Jedek. Picking up Improved Trip and Knock-Down means that Bann/Jedek can make anyone strong willed enough to still be standing fall down the hard way.

E9&E10:
    More Damage! Without some method of disengaging to charge in again, Bann/Jedek needs to make the first hit count. Flying Kick helps with this by adding a flat 1d12 damage on a charge, and Headlong Rush is the Pièce De Résistance, doubling the damage from a charge attack. Sure you provoke an Attack of Opportunity, but you do double damage and automatically trigger Knock-Down due to minimum damage numbers (though you should trigger it anyways before this assuming items). At this point Bann/Jedek is a charming fellow outside combat, and a terrifying monster on the battlefield with both fear escalation and physical control through Knock-Down and Improved Trip, as well as significant damage sources for anyone foolish enough to not simply flee in terror at the sight of him.

Spoiler: Build Variations
    Show
    If you fully embrace Racial Emulation shenanigans this build can be improved by changes to two levels. At level 2, emulating a Goliath qualifies for a Goliath Rogue Substitution level, which would improve your HD to a d8 and swap Evasion for Mettle (Fort based Evasion). Of more import, the second level of Half-Orc Paragon could be skipped in favor of a level of Barbarian while emulating a Goliath to get Mountain Rage, which makes you Large when you rage, as well as opening up for various other Barbarian ACFs (Pounce is less useful with BAB +4, but Drago Totem could pick up Blind Fight, and there are other options). This is a straight upgrade over the second level of Half-Orc Barbarian, but was deemed to be too cheesy, as well as not taking advantage of the SI. Emulating Goliath would also qualify for Knockback, which is kinda silly.

If Flaws are allowed there are numerous options. Possibly the most absurd of which would be to get Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spike Chain) and Combat Reflexes to go along with Knock-Down, though a source of DEX would be needed to fuel Combat Reflexes.

Improved Unarmed Strike was chosen for fluff reasons. If you want to use a two handed weapon (spiked chain anyone?) both Improved Unarmed Strike and Flying Kick could be swapped out of the build.

Show
    Eberron Campaign Setting (ECS) - Changeling (p12)
    Unearthed Arcana (UA) – Martial Rogue (p58), Half-Elf Paragon (p39), Half-Orc Paragon (p40)
    Races of Eberron (RoE) – Changeling Rogue (p122), Racial Emulation (p110), Quick Change (p110)
    Complete Warrior (CW) – Extra Rage (p98), Intimidating Rage (p102), Flying Kick (p99)
    Races of Destiny (RoD) – Channeled Rage (p150), Menacing Demeanor (p155)
    Complete Scoundrel (CSc) – Never Outnumbered (p87)
    Draconomicon (Dr) – Frightful Presence (p105)
    Sword and Fist (SF) – Knock-Down (p7)
    Races of Faerun (RoF) – Headlong Rush (p164)
    Drow of the Underdark (DotU) – Imperious Command (p50)

All items not specifically called out are either described in a higher level item (such is the case for class features), in the PHB, or not part of the build as presented.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, that's the lot of them! Get judging!

Quick head count:

Halfling Paragon: 1
    Gnome Paragon: 1
    Half-Elf Paragon: 2
    Human Paragon: 2
    Orc Paragon: 2
    Half-Orc Paragon: 3,872 7

(Not appearing: Elf Paragon, Dwarf Paragon, Kobold Paragon, Tiefling Paragon, Half-Dragon Paragon, Drow Paragon.)

I added the build table to the first post.

Did anyone call six unique paragon classes?
    Last edited by Zaq; 2018-03-02 at 09:27 AM.