New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 361
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    OOC thread

    Set in the small kingdom of Lorax, in a generic D&D world. The King of Lorax traditionally has a royal scepter, an ancient artifact capable of casting very high-DC confusion and sleep spells several times today - enough to incapa
    citate a small army singlehandedly. A famous mercenary wizard known as "Mr. Brown" slipped inside the castle, and was caught stealing it. The royal wizard, Archmage Horton, caught him. A short magical battle ensued, and the artifact was shattered. Horton was killed in the backlash, and based on magical signatures, his apprentice believes that Mr. Brown attempted to teleport out. The teleport apparently failed due to an interaction between the spell, the palace wards, and the shattering artifact. Divination reveals that Mr. Brown and the shards apparently ended up in the place that is not a place, that is real and not - the giant demi-plane of dreams, formerly overseen by the great bard-god Geisel, who is sadly missing.

    Dreams are out of your control, but being a waking person in the realm can give you just enough influence that you can be fairly sure that you can always find a way forwards....
    Last edited by J-H; 2018-02-17 at 01:10 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    Point Insertion

    The five of you have been informed of the situation. After a visit to the palace armory and kitchens to stock up on supplies, a servant leads you towards a side door, cracked and slightly askew in the doorframe. He grasps the handle and pulls. Nothing happens.

    He pulls again, harder, and the door scrapes across the stone floor as one of the hinges protests with a loud squeal.

    “I told you, I’m double checking the runes! Leave me alone!”

    Gertrude McFuzz, chief apprentice and likely successor to Archmage Horton, yells over her shoulder without looking. You enter, and quickly realize that what was once a rectangular hallway is now a large oval-shaped room, with holes in the floor and ceiling. The stone walls that flanked the hallway have been blown back into the rooms they once demised. Powdered stone covers the rubble, which has not been cleaned yet. On the far side of the basement-bound hole, a translucent pinkish sphere four feet in diameter floats in mid-air, surrounded by carefully chalked runes on the floor – and on the ceiling. McFuzz, clad in a dirty green robe, and with frizzy black hair, is balanced on a ladder while examining the runes on the ceiling.

    => Party
    Last edited by J-H; 2018-02-17 at 01:10 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    Gorthrax


    Gorthrax shuffles into the room, his armor clanking as he moves. "Umm Sorry. We could come back later if you want. " His deep loud voice filling the room. He tapped a small chunk of rubble with his foot, pushing it aside. "It was sort of implied time was of the essence though. " Gorthrax looked with concern at the runes. Magic. *sigh*


    He frowned at the crude looking runes and turned back towards the rest of the team. "I hope you have said all your goodbyes to your family and friends. " He says darkly.
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2018-02-17 at 10:55 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    Silvija

    Silvija follows Gorthrax into the room and looks around carefully bevor nodding to McFuzz.
    Act well before thinking!


  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    PST (GMT -8)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    Elminster

    Elminster walks in after the others, not saying a word as the runes grab his attention. He tries to see if any of them look familiar.

    Spoiler: Knowledge, arcana?
    Show
    (1d20+19)[22]
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    Upon the news of the theft, Master Specialist of Conjuring Dakron Ironblood met with the others of the mage guild to find out what he could of this "Mr Brown". The dwarf had of course heard of him but it was always good to know everything you could about your enemy who in this case was a famous mercenary wizard. He instructed the guild to use Sending to deliver any more information found.

    Joining the others tasked with recovering the artifact he follows them into the magic wrecked room. He studies the room briefly before addressing the chief apprentice. Dakron aspired to become royal wizard but he had no ill will towards her. He still had more to learn and as a dwarf would long outlive her if nothing killed him first. He addresses her respectfully and formally.

    "Dame McFuzz, apologies for the interruption. We are here to begin our journey. Can you tell us what you have learned please?" He continued studying the runes as she answered.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Mr Brown: Know(Local): (1d20+10)[14] (+ Aid Others from the guild members?)
    Looking for info including his typical spells and known strategies. Is this something he would do for his own power or was he probably working for someone? Any known acquaintances and their capabilities?

    I don't know if Dame is the right title here. Dakron would know. Let me know and I'll edit the post.

    Runes: Know(Arcana): (1d20+11)[26]
    Runes: Know(Planes): (1d20+16)[34]
    Runes: Decipher Script: (1d20+16)[36]
    Last edited by Cavir; 2018-02-18 at 11:43 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    Then it was up to Ragnar to enter the room and inspect the runes.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Knowledge (Arcana) (1d20+5)[19]

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    “What, already? Sorry Darkon, I thought you all were someone else. You would not believe how many people have been pestering me today, and last night, and yesterday. Eat this, take a break, eat that, are you done yet. I'd have Arcane Locked the door if it was safe to do so.” She climbs down.

    “No magic in here please, not even a cantrip. As you can tell, this is where Horton—This is where the battle occurred and the scepter was destroyed. I told everyone to not clean up, as we needed the magical signature from the teleport as intact as possible. That pink bubble there is our gate into the demiplane of dreams.

    Try not to step on any of the chalk marks please; I had to go the slow way with some ritual magic since creating a gate like this is well beyond what any of us can do with memorized spells.”
    She looks rather tired, and you notice several large books propped open outside of the circles of runes.

    Those who have arcane training recognize them as written in the draconic alphabet, which is traditionally used for recording arcane spellcasting procedures.

    Dakron sees some repeating patterns that appear to be a mix of divination and conjuration, likely having to do with interplanar transportation. You would not be surprised if she’s been working on this for the last day or more without a break; still, the rune-work is precise enough and nothing appears wrong.

    “I’ve been involved in finding a way to follow Mr. Brown, but I’m assuming that you’ve been told everything known about the realm of dreams, which is frankly not much. I remember a gnome coming through who did dream-walking and spellcasting back when I was a teenager, but you know how secretive they are.

    The gate is stable, but of course we don’t know what’s on the other side. It's ready when you are - but do duck when you go through, since it's a bit short.”
    She looks at Gorthrax the half-giant when she says this.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    Gorthrax

    Gorthrax nodded. "Low doorways - I have been dealing with all my life. " He reflexively rubs his forehead. Gorthrax got down as low as he could, in almost a waddle he made his way to the pink gateway. "Let's go, sooner we leave, sooner we get back." He said mostly for everyone else's benefit. He suspected they may never make it back at all. He held his breath as he hit the threshold of the gateway out of instinct.
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2018-02-19 at 11:36 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    Dakron was admiring Gertrude's work like a more typical dwarf would admire finely crafted mithral plate. "Impressively done, thank you. Be best to hear what you know of that plane, just to be sure nothing has been missed." Gorthrax heads for the portal and Dakron speeds up his speech knowing time before the portal has just grown a lot shorter. "And will we be able to go back and forth as need be? If not how do we return?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Should have done this earlier. Dakron's best knowledge is Planes. He's had a day to ponder. What does he know? Take 10 for Know(Planes) = 26. OOC I know very little/nothing about dealing with other planes. All the games I've been in have stuck to one plane.

    Assuming we all know each other at least a little bit? Anyone to have just met for this trip?
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    hmm, seems interesting. I'm curious what awaits us there! Let's see if I can track Mr. Brown.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ragnar tries to find some footprints of Mr. Brown he can follow on the other side.
    Search for footprints (1d20+10)[15]
    Survival for tracking (1d20+15)[18] with additional +4 as Mr. Brown is a spellcaster <-> favored enemy

    Edit: wow... craptastic!
    Last edited by Fliggl; 2018-02-20 at 12:49 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    Silvija walks up to the pinkish sphere slowly, then shrugs and follows Gorthrax with a shrug "Here goes nothing..."
    Act well before thinking!


  13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    Dakron knows that the gate should remain stable from this side, but that it might move around on an unstable plane. The plane of dreams is by definition ephemeral – for how often can you go back to where you came from in a dream? Still, as waking individuals, your intent to find a goal may lead you to it. That’s the hope, and your reason for going into the gate, after all.

    “Good luck!”



    The world flickers and fades as you step into the portal; you find yourselves standing in a desert, with gently rolling sand dunes extending as far as the eye can see, beneath a pale pink sky. There’s no sign of the portal on this side. Turning around, you spy what looks like some sort of castle or walled city several miles away, a giant tree in another direction, and a nearby a stone outcropping over twenty feet high and sixty wide. There appear to be a couple of cave or tunnel entrances in the stone near ground level.

    Ragnar sees no footprints.
    Last edited by J-H; 2018-02-21 at 09:23 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    Ragnar looks at the sky and the landscape to find some fixed points for later orientation.

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

    Survival: (1d20+15)[31]
    Knowledge (Nature) (1d20+12)[21]
    Knowledge (geography) (1d20+10)[16]

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    PST (GMT -8)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    El looks around, trying to reorient himself. "Most interesting." he says, as he looks around. "Like finding a needle in a haystack - where should we start?" he asks.

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    Knowledge(Planes). Are we on a different plane? Does it have any traits different from the material plane?
    (1d20+19)[28]
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    Gorthrax

    Gorthrax shrugs. "All things being equal, the built up castle or town over there." he points. He waits for a verdict from the tracker. "Ragnar, any stories to tell?" he asks motioning towards the ground.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    The dwarf wizard speaks up with his knowledge. "This be the place of dreams. Don't expect anything to stay where it was even a moment ago. Even our portal has already moved. Our focused desire should get us to where we want. Pick a direction or place and be sure with yourself that be the path. Our combined Will should amplify that. The question is do we search first for the shards or Mr. Brown?"
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    Gorthrax

    Gorthrax nods at the dwarf. "You make a good point. Maybe we should focus on the shards, this may in turn lead us to Brown, who we can deal with at the time and if not, that's probably fine too. I suspect the shards are more valuable then Mr. Brown's body to the folks back home." Gorthrax speculated wildly. He shrugged in a manner to convey that he was making it up as he went.

    Gorthrax did his best to picture the shards in his mind as he started towards the Castle/town. He kept an ear out for a better idea or direction from the group.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    The sky overhead is pink and cloudless. It’s bright, and hot, like a summer’s day after a month of no rain, but there’s no actual sun in the sky.

    Spoiler: knowledge
    Show

    You appear to be in a desert-like area, with rocks and a few cacti around.

    You are on the plane of dreams, as expected.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    Silvija

    While the others already discuss directions Silvija is still staring at the strange new world around her. Knowing about a place was one thing but actually setting foot on it was quite a different story. "A dream come true..."
    Act well before thinking!


  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    You know, I have no idea where we are or where we should go. Nothing to orientate, everywhere sand, nothing NOTHING what gives me a little chance to track our Mr. Brown or doing ANYTHING useful!
    Silvija, you know this place, ya? Or we should follow Gorthrax - he had the first idea what we could do...

    Plane of dreams? Pffffffff! Plane of nightmares!

    How should I do something here? This couldn't be true! Let's go and find something I can beat the crap out of


    Ragnar walks away a few steps and kicks the sand.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    "I have never been on this plane before but I know a little about it."

    Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Knowledge (the planes): (1d20+11)[16]
    Act well before thinking!


  23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    "Oh calm down. I'm sure we're find something for you to beat on. In the mean time Gorthrax has the right idea. We need to go find the shard over in that Castle, ok? Follow Gorthrax and I'll be right behind you. Silvija, take the rear for now would ya?"

    Dakron casts Magic Armor on himself (9 hours).
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    Silvija knows that people often see strange and unreal creatures in their dreams. If anything lives here, it probably won’t resemble something she would see in reality.

    Is the group heading for the castle now?

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    Gorthrax


    Gorthrax pauses briefly to make sure everyone was falling in line. He also kept an ear out in case someone had a better idea. Gorthrax unfurled his chain and tossed it over his opposite shoulder. A loud clank echo'd off his chest.


    He yawned deeply and thought for a moment about how one sleeps on this plane. Would he dream of the material world ? Or would his dreams be even more jumbled then usual.

    "Lets keep moving." he suggested.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    PST (GMT -8)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    "Let's do. We have some ways to go, and some of are already antsy." says El, following Gorthrax when he starts moving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    "Fine with me!" Silvija says as she waits for the others to pass so she can take the last position.
    Act well before thinking!


  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    Ragnar returns, his mood was a bit brighter. But he was still angry and so he couldn't await to start.
    Ya he snorted and walked besides Gorthrax.
    Ragnar, as a tall man himself, looked like a boy in comparison to the swordman. He looked over, nodded and asked Doing?

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    With Gorthrax and Ragnar in the lead and Silvija at the rear of the group, the five of you head towards the distant sign of civilization. You walk for a while, and it seems like it’s been a long while, but maybe not at all. The castle seems closer, and the dunes give way to hills of sparse grass, and then to a forest of…mushrooms?

    Purple mushrooms, taller than your head, make a trackless forest in front of you.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Seuss (D&D 3.5, E8) IC

    Ragnar walked over to the mushrooms and looked if they are normal - but a bit taller - mushrooms or if they have nothing to do with real mushrooms.

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Knowledge (Nature) (1d20+12)[22]
    Survival (1d20+15)[19]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •