Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Lost on Dark Waters: Strange Tides

Lost on Dark Waters
    Strange Tides

As the confusion of your journey fades and your eyes begin to focus in the darkness of the cavern, you slowly become aware that it is not as empty and lifeless as it had first seemed. A variety of faintly glowing fungi and moss grows on the waste of rats, bats and other small creatures along the edges of the walls and floor. Here and there tiny luminescent beetles and slugs crawl along, feasting on the fungi and going about their meager lives. Veins of quartz and mica run through the solid stone walls, stretching up toward a ceiling somewhere far above your head and beyond your sight.

The air is warm and smells of damp earth, and a layer of moisture covers the stone around you, making it glisten in the dim light provided by the plants and insects. A steady drip comes from somewhere overhead, hitting the rocks in a constant drone. A light breeze comes from somewhere far off in the dark, accompanied by the gentle sounds of waves on rock. It is apparent there is some large body of water not too far off. The tranquil quiet of the cave is broken only by the distant squeak of a bat, and the confused mutterings of the four other people who stand just within sight in the darkness of the cavern. Though you are sure they are strangers, and their clothes are foreign to you, you still feel a certain mysterious kinship with them. Its almost as though you know them, perhaps from a dream, or a barely tangible memory of another life. Regardless, they seem just as lost as you, and perhaps together you can discover what strange land you have been brought to.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Lost on Dark Waters: Strange Tides

”GAAHH!!” Farli screams as she appears in the cave. It takes her a moment to realize she isn’t burning alive like she thought, and she stares wide eyed at the strange surroundings. Reaching up to her mouth she realizes her gag is gone, and she is no longer chained to a stake, though one manacle and a short length of chain still dangle from her left wrist.

Barefoot and dressed in a tattered prisoner’s robe she can’t help but shiver a little as she tries to make sense of what just happened. She spots a length of wood at her feet, her quarterstaff, along with the two belt pouches she thought had been taken by the guards when she was captured. She checks the contents, making sure everything was still in them, and hooks them onto the frayed length of rope that was serving to keep her robe closed.

Finally noticing the other figures nearby she lets out a little gasp, at first afraid they were Perth soldiers there to recapture her. She calms when she realizes their clothes were completely foreign to her, and she got the strangest feeling she could...trust them, ”H...hello? Can anyone tell me, where I am?” she speaks hesitantly, wincing a bit when her voice echos in the cave, ”Not that I’m not grateful to be here. It’s certainly better than...the alternative. Actually it's kind of pretty. I've never seen moss that glows, and the bugs are neat too. I wonder if they bite. Maybe I could keep one,” she gives a nervous laugh as she rambles a little, staring at the luminescent insects.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Darius glances among the others present, eyes hard as he turns slightly to keep all of them in sight and take their measure. After a moment, concluding that it is best not to try and adopt his working mannerisms, he replies to the girl that spoke up, "If I could tell you where we are, I would. Certainly not Waterdeep, though -
    could be farther along the Sword Coast. Down near Baldur's Gate, maybe?"
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

A short, dark-haired man holding a dagger stares at the others. He blinks hard, trying to adjust his eyes to the dimness of the cavern. He lowers the dagger, though it was clearly held in a defensive position before Who in the bloody hell are you? Where am I? At hearing the words of the man with the staff, he raises an eyebrow What the hell is the Sword Coast? Is that in the West? Looking him over, he sees the man resembles a scholar, though with closer scrutiny, something seems off. He glances at the halfling girl, who had been screaming just moments before. You look like you've seen a devil, girl.. Despite his rough speech and demanding words, he is perhaps the worst for wear. He looks tired, he is clearly bruised, and there is some blood on his simple black clothes, though you can't be sure if it is his. His dress and armament, as well as his suspicious eyes, clearly mark him as a criminal, probably of the low-class variety.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2018-02-19 at 02:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Farli blinks wide eyed at Darius when he lists off possible places they could be and she looks confused, "Waterdeep? I've never heard of it. That's kind of a silly name though. Of course water is deep, it's water. Is there a Mountainhigh or Snowcold too? I've never heard of a Sword Coast either. Is it dangerous? It sounds dangerous. I've been to a town called Daggerbend once. It wasn't dangerous, and there weren't any daggers. I don't understand why humans use such strange names," she rambles, her tone completely serious even as she says ridiculous things.

The little halfling girl turns to Levi at his comment and shakes her head, "No. I've never seen a devil. I heard they are really scary though so I don't think I would ever want to. Or maybe I would. It might be exciting," she smiles and taps her chin as she thinks about it, "But I haven't seen any here. Actually it's hard to see anything here," she looks around at the dark cave before holding up her quarterstaff and chanting a brief incantation. The length of the staff flares and begins to glow with a rosy pink light.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Cast the light spell on her staff

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Levi takes a step back and shields his eyes from the sudden light, but quickly recover and shakes his head Aye, well at least halflings are still halflings around... here. He gives the now more lit cavern a once over. His hand remains tight on his dagger, though he seems to mostly avoid looking at the others directly, preferring to look around at the massive cave. Can't rightly say I've seen a place like this before. Never been one for exploring caves.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

As Farli’s spell illuminates the darkness, more of the cavern the group is standing in comes into view. It is only now that it becomes clear that the stone beneath your feet is not a natural cavern floor, but a carved stone landing midway up a set of ancient stone steps. To either side of the steps the stone drops away fifteen feet into glimmering black-green water. Ahead of you, the steps descend into the black-green waters of an underground ocean that stretches off into the darkness further than any of you can see. At the base of the stairs, where they disappear beneath the water, floats an elegant long boat crafted of wood and bronze anchored firmly to an outcropping of rock.

Behind you the steps rise up to a semi-circular courtyard surrounded by crumbling stone pillars. The floor of the courtyard appears to have once been a magnificent mosaic of dark and light tiles, but time has faded them and caused many to crack and break allowing the growth of moss and fungi. The pillars that ring the courtyard are ancient and broken, with few of them still standing in one piece. At the top of each one was once a sphere of marble, but most now lie on the tiles of the courtyard or have shattered completely. At the center of the courtyard stands the basin of a once grand fountain, its ornate spout having long ago crumbled into ruin. Perhaps once this fountain spilled clear water into it's basin, but it now stands dry and covered in moss.

On the far side of the courtyard rises the edifice of an ancient temple carved into the cavern wall. It towers above you, reaching far up toward a ceiling you can not make out in the gloom. You can tell that once the entire edifice was a masterwork of carved stone. Soaring spires, intricate and abstract murals and dozens of elegant, narrow windows cover the cavern wall. However, time has left much of the detailed stone work worn and faded. Details have become indistinct, murals have crumbled and cracked, spires have fallen into the courtyard, and some of the windows have become overgrown with yellowish lichen and moss. A set of great stone doors guard the entrance to the temple, but one stands ajar.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Stunned by this strange place, Annie is speechless for a moment before she comes back to her senses. W-what happened? I was in a forest one moment and here the next. she stammered thoroughly baffled.
    Last edited by Book Wombat; 2018-02-20 at 10:57 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

"You've really never heard of Waterdeep?" Darius frowns at the responses from his companions, before saying, "You must be from a good ways away..." As the halfling casts her spell, Darius allows himself a look around the expansive area. "Well, this is certainly a sight to behold... certainly nothing I've seen before. I'd say it looks like nobody else is here, but that boat seems newer than the rest of this stuff, at least by looking at it."
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

"My gods..."
    A middle aged dwarf stumbles out of the fading mist, dressed in neat travelling clothes and carrying a satchel stuffed with scrolls. He steps into the circle of light illuminating the landing and says,
    "... you're right. 'Waterdeep' doesn't make sense!"

He straightens his tunic and looks around at the others.
    "The name's Radgar, from Cormyr. I feel like I know the lot of you, but I can't put names to any of your faces."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Levi again brings his dagger to bear towards the dwarf, but quickly realizes he isn't a threat and sighs Oh good, lost in a strange cave with some scholars, a scared country girl, and a mage who has clearly seen better days. I suppose it was to much to ask that I end up somewhere less tedious when I died. He glances around I suppose we need something to call each other. I'm Levi.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

The little halfling girl gazes up the stairs toward the courtyard and the ancient temple, eyes wide as she takes in the sight, "Wow..." she holds up her glowing staff as if to get a better look. There is a moment of silence, then she frowns, "It's really broken. Someone should fix it. Should we tell someone? Do you think there is an owner? He should be told his temple thingy is broken. I bet he would like to know," She looks around at the group as if this is a perfectly normal thing to say.

When the dwarf introduces himself she smiles and holds out her hand, "Oh right! I'm Farli of...um...Perth? No, wait, I don't like Perth. The people there are mean. I'll be from Daggerbend! Oh wait, is it supposed to be somewhere you lived? How about the Barrier Peaks?" she looks perplexed as she debates the matter, then she spots the longboat at the bottom of the stairs, "Oh hey a boat! she grins brightly and scampers down the stone steps to get a closer look, "I've never been on a boat before. This one looks kind of small. Are all boats this small? It looks like it's got metal on it. How does it float? Who left it here? Do you think they would mind if I went for a ride? I would only be borrowing it. I borrowed a pony once from a farmer, but he got really mad. I was going to return it, but he chased me around with a pitchfork so I had to run into the woods with the pony. I told the pony to go home but I'm not sure if it did. I wouldn't have. That farmer was mean," her rambling is impressive as she looks over the longboat and peeks into it to see what it held.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Radgar climbs the steps with wonder in his eyes.
    "There's no fixing this. It's a ruin. It looks ancient."

He wanders across the courtyard and draws his hands across one of the fallen spheres, then steps over to the temple's broken door and peeks inside.

Spoiler
    Show
    Can I make a Knowledge (Architecture) check, to see if Radgar recognizes anything about the stonework that might tell us where we are or anything about the temple?

Knowledge (Architecture): (1d20+6)[20] for information about the temple.

Stonecunning Search: (1d20+4)[8] to notice anything unusual about the stonework.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Who cares about some dusty ruin? The ship 's new. It might have food. Or people who know where we are. Still, he does take a moment to peer in alongside the old dwarf. Anyone recognize the boat? I've never seen anything quite like it.

Spoiler: Search
    Show

(1d20+9)[29]
    Last edited by Luccan; 2018-02-22 at 12:43 PM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

15. - Top - End - #15

In response to Levi's question, My name's Annie, Annie of Plidon. And if you're hungry I have some food. And in response to Farli's rambling, Well do you know how to swim? If the temple was broken over time, the boat could also be broken somewhat.
    Last edited by Book Wombat; 2018-02-22 at 02:33 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

"Darius Valen," Darius says by way of introduction, "of Waterdeep." As he speaks, he approaches the entrance to the temple, though responds first to Levi as he does so, "And I wouldn't expect to find people on that ship - if it's here, it means that whoever brought it probably has business with the temple. Plus, Annie makes a good point," he says, even as he looks into the temple door, glancing around for any signs of life, "just because it looks new doesn't mean it doesn't have damage we can't see. I'm no shipwright, after all."

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Spot Check to see if I can see anyone: (1d20+1)[18]
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

The footsteps of the group echo as they cross the stone of the courtyard, and somewhere high above a bat squeaks in protest at the noise. Approaching the entrance the the temple the group gets a sense of the scale of the structure, as the doors stand double the height of a man and are nearly two feet thick. There is no light past the entrance of the temple, so the humans in the group can not see anything inside.

Radgar's darkvision allows him to see the temple entrance hall beyond the doors. It appears to have once been a grand chamber with a vaulted ceiling supported by a dozen marble pillars and a smooth marble floor. The hall is roughly twenty feet wide and extends past the limits of even the dwarf's vision. Down the center of the entrance hall is a shallow pool of water, it's surface nearly completely covered by yellow-white algae. Nothing stirs in the entrance hall, and there are no obvious signs of recent passage.

Farli, meanwhile, finds that the longboat is small and in good condition, with enough room for six people to sit comfortably. The oars have been stowed long the floor beneath the seats, and there is a sixty foot length of silk rope that has been used to secure the boat to some rocks near the stairs. A brass oil lamp hangs from a hook on the bow, but it is dark and cold to the touch. There doesn't appear to be anything else of note in the longboat.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Radgar describes what he sees to the others, and then says,
    "Seems benign enough. Will anyone come with me to explore? I've got a lamp, and we'll need it to get a decent look at anything in there."

He takes the lamp from his pack and sparks it to life. He holds it up to the empty doorway but then pauses, and he looks at Levi then at the others.
    "I was dressed for travelling when I got caught up here, but I've barely any food, and not much besides. Should we pool what gear we have? I only have a rope, waterskin, and my sleeping gear, but if they're needed I'll share."

Spoiler
    Show
    BTW What kind of temperature is it outside?
    Last edited by pupaeted; 2018-02-28 at 12:55 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

I have some food and a lamp too plus some candles and chalk and a bedroll. Annie replies to Ragdar.
    . .-. .-. --- .-. / ....- ----- ....- ---... / -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. / -. --- - / ..-. .. -. -.. / --.- ..- . ... - .. --- -. / ---... -.--.-

Discord: Bookwhyrm#4020, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I was, uh, climbing at the time. I've got rope, a hammer, and pitons. Wasn't prepared to be in a cave He looks over to Farli Oy,girl... er... Farli! Bring that light over here. Some of us can't see in the dark.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

"Don't have much," Darius comments, peering into the gloom for a moment. "Just my clothes, my staff, and a bit of coin. Being inside a mage's lab doesn't generally require kit for any kind of trip."
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Radgar lets the lamp swing in his hand, unhooks the whip from his belt, and says,
    "Well, if you hear a yell, come running. I'm going to try and find some sense in all this."

He takes a deep breath and walks into the temple, heading in beyond the entrance hall.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you need any passive checks from me I'm happy for you to make them, but he's looking around as he enters and searching the stonework as he goes:

Spot: (1d20+8)[15]
    Listen: (1d20+2)[13]
    Search: (1d20+2)[18]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Darius nods, moving into step behind Radgar and saying, "I'll be right behind you if anything happens, don't worry." His gaze darts back and forth, looking around within the lamplight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let me know if you need any passive checks.
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Wait a moment. Levi places a hand on Darius's shoulder I'd rather not leave the lasses out here.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Hey, I'm coming to, you people think you're going to leave me here? Then you think wrong.
    . .-. .-. --- .-. / ....- ----- ....- ---... / -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. / -. --- - / ..-. .. -. -.. / --.- ..- . ... - .. --- -. / ---... -.--.-

Discord: Bookwhyrm#4020, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

He shakes his head. I did say to wait for you and Farli. Farli, we're heading in.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show