New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Ars Magica: The Götterdämmerung Saga (IC)

Götterdämmerung - A Saga of Mystery and Magic.

Chapter One: New Beginnings

'Dragons lair in the mountains, angels watch over the Church, faeries dance in the forests, and demons tempt men and women to their ultimate downfall. The magi of the Order of Hermes live in a world of mythic power, the world of Mythic Europe. Welcome to that world. Welcome to Ars Magica.'

It is late in the night when four hooded figures meet. A great silence permeates the grandiose hall, like the night itself is jealously guarding the evidence of their gathering.

The first, a spindle-legged, haughty woman speaks to her companions. "I see little need for this charade. Are we not agreed in our position? The Oak has agreed to support your proposal."

The second, a withered man far older than he has any right to be, grumbles under his breath. "Surely you would have some respect for tradition? The Novgorod Tribunal will have a collective fit when our gambit comes to light."

A great bear of a man - standing a full head above the others - growls in disapproval. "Hang your tradition. So long as my territory is preserved, I care not what games the two of you play."

The last figure shrugs amicably, before turning the conversation back to its subject. "Focus, please. We all know what we have to gain from cooperation. There is a promising crop of graduates who will serve our purposes nicely. I shall make the arrangements, and it falls to the rest of you to support the rest of our plan."

A moment of silence persists before the four of them nod in unison. The pact is sealed, and within a few minutes the hall remains as deserted as it was before.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The year is 1220, and the Order of Hermes is as strong as it has ever been. Secure in the protection of the Parma Magica, unstoppable with the Hermetic Arts developed by the Twelve Founders, the Magi of the Order live unchallenged and complacent in their covenants. All of Europe is under their watchful eyes, an aegis covering the Iberian peninsula in the west to the Levant Tribunal in the far east, where the crusaders fight and die in battle against the enemies of the Church.

But there is one place that lies closer to the heart of the order, still unclaimed by the Order despite centuries of colonization efforts. The lands of the Norsemen - once home to the savage Vikings who once sailed forth to ravage entire countries in their greed - remain without any covenants whatsoever. The lands are cold and harsh, but there have been many magi who have sought to found their own covenant in those lands and tame the pagan islands. Each ill-fated covenant has crumbled into dust with a matter of decades, and within time whispers have arisen to explain these failures; a secret society of pagan mages with the power to contest the Order of Hermes; A malicious rival, the Order of Odin.

No evidence exists to prove the existence of even one Nordic mage with the power to contest the Hermetic mages, but the scores of failed colonization attempts speak their own story. And yet there comes another attempt to claim these wild lands, one that may spark a story like none ever seen before...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler: The Beginning...
    Show
    You are a Magus or Maga of the Order. Just recently finished with your apprenticeship, you have overcome 15 grueling years of study and trials in order to wield the powers of magic. But with the recognition of your new status comes responsibility, and you must find a place to make your own. Almost immediately an offer comes, a magically created letter is delivered by Redcap to the covenant where you have lived up until now. An offer of sponsorship, a chance for you to found your own covenant and gain the riches, power and fame associated with success. The offer is so generous you find it hard to do anything other than accept.

All journeys must begin somewhere, and this one begins at the very heart of the Order of Hermes. The covenant of Durenmar has stood since the very beginning of the order, and its aged towers, expansive library and enormous vaults are amongst the finest in all of creation. You have been summoned here to meet your sponsors, to receive their gifts and use them to create a legacy for yourself and your sodales.
    Last edited by Quantumphear; 2019-01-17 at 04:24 AM.
    Oh geez, this should probably be meaningful or something.

2. - Top - End - #2

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Ars Magica: The Götterdämmerung Saga (IC)

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Your characters may or may not know each other from their apprenticeships, but from now on you will be spending a lot of time together, whether you like it or not. Introduce your character as you like, and tell us how they have come to be here. I recommend you answer one or more of the following questions in your post;

• How did they get to Durenmar in the first place?
    • What do they do once they arrive?
    • What did the offer letter say that enticed them to leave their home and brave the dangers of the North?
    • Did they bring anyone with them, or are they alone in the world?

You are requested to meet in the Forum of Hermes at noontide - the hours before then are to be spent as you wish.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Inside the council hall of a covenant in southern france. The construction - and therefore his Gauntlet - has been finished, Caementarius is still with his pater Antonius and Aedefica when he receives the invitation.

With an expression of surprise Caementarius starts reading and commenting on what he reads. Caementarius: "Durenmar is sending a letter to me???"
    Both Antonius and Aedefica turn there full attention over to Caementarius.
    "They are looking for young magi that are willing and capable to go north… beyond the baltic sea…
    Caementarius eyes grow wider and wider.
    Antonius: ”Is the Order giving the expansion into those lands another try? You should think well before you get involved in that endeavor. Didn't go well in the past."
    Antonius shivers on the thought of his young filius going beyond the "civilized" lands of the Order.

All the while Caementarius face changes to a single big smile of excitement.

”... they would appreciate my expertise as a builder. Antonius, Aedefica, isn't that great? This is exactly what you were talking about."
    Aedeficia gives Antonius an excusing look.
    Aedefica: "He is right. I proposed to your filius that he sought for a newly founded covenant, so that he could build the covenant from the ground."
    She gets a unfavorable look back, but continues anyway. "And… he is well equipped for this. Don't you think?"
    Antonius shrugs his shoulders. "Building a covenant as a whole, for sure. But going beyond the reach of the Order? Is that the right place at the right time for you? We don't even know who sponsors this expedition and why. Will there be enough resources and backing?"
    There is an inconveniently long pause. Silence. Nobody is saying a word. Until Aedefica finally breaks it. Aedefica: "It is quite apparent that you'd prefer Caementarius to stay in safe waters. On the other hand, it is just as apparent that he really really wants to go. What do you both think about me traveling with you, Caementarius, until we reach Durenmar. I might be able to figure out some details that can calm your sorrows, Antonius. If there is anything odd, you'll stay, Caementarius."
    She looks at both magi looking for a reaction until both finally nod.
    Aedefica: "So it is decided."

While preparing for the journey, a Mercere arrived that would anyway travel to the Rhine tribunal. With such a guide the road to Durenmar was certainly more pleasure than labor and Aedefica and Caementarius arrived well in time.

(ooc: Aedefica is pulling some strings, which - I suppose - don't reveal anything negative about the endeavor. Caementarius walks around to look as closely as permitted at the architecture and art present in Durenmar. I.e. he for sure visits the statues of the founder, the towers of Bonisagus and Trianoma and the watchtower.)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Praepas arrived at Durenmar as part of a small group. Her parents had insisted on accompanying her, they had seen her little during the past 15 years as her care passed to Praeses, the several days of travel had been the longest she had spent with them almost as long as she could remember.

Her daughter, Galeina was along for the trip too - her young, curious eyes taking in the sights along the road as she sat nestled on the mule. This would be the last she saw of her for a while, her parents were to return to her to the covenant, at least for a while. They would be re-united if all looks to be going well.

The potential that it may not go well hung ominously in the air, unspoken but looming.

She had been to Durenmar before, Praeses thought it important that she realise what her unGifted brethren did, she had visited many of the larger Covenants in the last few years. She sometimes wondered if he was trying to test whether she would run away again, given easy opportunity. Little had changed since her last visit, though their seemed to be a hum of expectation in the air - maybe just her nerves.

They brought with them messages from other covens, like any good redcaps they were never really off duty even as they bid farewell to their Gifted child. They left her alone to contemplate before answering her summons. She attempted to calm her nerves, before sighing in frustration and wandering the grounds, she would not be travelling North alone, perhaps she could find the other Magi she would have to form a Covenant with, surely they should be close to her own age...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Vir lounged, comfortably ensconced within one of the open windows of the sixth floor of the library tower of durenmar. Occasionally a library-grog or apprentice would give him a look somewhere between wary and terrified, but he tried to smile reassuringly back. After all, everyone had been so friendly and welcoming so far! They'd let him stay here whilst they prepared the official proceedings, fed him, and even given him this nice robe to wear! Which wasn't to say it wasn't a bit scratchy, or tight around the neck, but hey!

He had set out immediately after receiving his letter, after all the trip from Crinterra had only been around 400 miles as the falcon flies, a hard 8 hours of travel, and he had arrived apparently somewhat sooner than expected. Nonetheless, it hadn't been as if he had been bored waiting, there seemed little point in coming to Durenmar and not sampling the greatest library in the world.
    With that thought he refocused on the tome of tribunal history and proceedings he was reading, interesting stuff, though with this oppressive southern heat it was hard to keep his mind, and gaze, off the meandering river that made it's way across the grounds.

No, tempting as it was, he was here now, all alone and ready to begin forging a covenant of his own in the forbidding north. He should do at least a minimum of research into the history of the order in the area. There might be time later for a swim, for now he should attend to his studies.

[His position on the tower might allow him to see the other new Magi, as they go about the covenant. Anything particularly intriguing would likely cause him to investigate]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

At about ten minutes past Noon, a rough-looking man with a deep black beard and a sword nearly as tall as himself arrives at the covenant. He strides straight to the forum, pushing the doors open with a loud bang, and startling many of those who were already assembled. The effect is rather added to by the rather visible bloodstains covering his robes. Seemingly oblivious to the effect his appearance is having, he walks towards the centre of the gathering.

"Sorry I'm late. Had a little trouble on the road. Some bandits didn't know they shouldn't rob a magus. Nicolaus of Flambeau, at your service."
    Last edited by pi4t; 2018-11-22 at 03:52 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Arellius nodded as his pater, Gnaeus, warbled on and on about the proper procedures and hospitality and etiquette and so on. Arellius, however, was too giddy of himself to pay too much attention. He was busying thinking to himself as his horse, Notus, was being prepared for travel. While named for the Roman god, Notus was (to Arellius' knowledge) just a simple if fair bred stallion. The last of his items, save for casting tools, were being loaded onto the mare of his shield-grog, Reynard.

'Called to Duranmar by letter! I did not think that I would but a footnote in the tomes of those blessed ha-Oh, whom I fooling? Of course I knew something like this would happen! They wanted only the best to to go out and pour out my heart for the sp-'
    His internal fantasies were interrupted by his master grabbing his shoulders, smiling wider than the covenant cook's rear.
    "And don't forget, Arellius. You are among the Order's finest. Don't forget to send correspondence." Gnaeus said, the old man's eyes gleaming.
    "I won't, pater, I won't. The first thing I send shall be a painting of the lands we found upon." With that, Arellius hopped (with help from the stable boy that had prepared his horse) into the saddle and waved fairwell to the place that had been his home for the last fifteen years.

Some weeks later, Arellius and Reynard arrive at the grand covenant of Duranmar, quickly seeing that their horses are stabled. They had intended to arrive a week prior to the summons, to fully enjoy the splendor of the first covenant. Those plans were dashed due to a number of amusing misunderstandings with various innskeepers daughters, one of which involved a hilarious involving a broom, milking pail, and, of course, a goat. As such, they had arrived the day of the meeting, with just enough time for Arellius to get cleaned and a fresh(er) set of robes procured in time. And, at the (very fashionable) fifteen minutes late mark, he strode into the forum with no small amount of flair.

"Greetings everyone. It is I, Arellius of Verditius. Yes, that Arellius."

8. - Top - End - #8

Lizardfolk

Most of you travel by foot - The way is winding and arduous, as Durenmar is situated deep inside the Black Forest of the Rhineland, hidden far away from the prying eyes of mankind. A full 15 miles into the forest is where it lies, and when you finally arrive at the semi-mythical location you are almost disappointed. There are no overt displays of powerful magic, no soaring towers piercing the skies as other stories would have you believe.

And yet it takes only a moment's notice to realize that this covenant is old, old enough to have cemented its place within the forest. No walls or fortifications ring the perimeter, and yet you feel a faint hum of delicate magic as you enter. The servants stand tall and confident, and multiple redcaps appear to be wandering the covenant - but there is no sign of the mages.

For Vir, who comfortably circumvents the requirement of walking with his own two legs, his actions cause a considerable stir. It is not unusual for a Bjornaer to use his Heartbeast form to travel from one place to another - It is another thing to resume human form, without any clothing, in the middle of the great library. After a significant amount of disapproving whispers and stern looks, eventually a haggard-looking grog appears to settle the situation. Room, board, and an old apprentices robe is found for you. You are almost certain the robe is at least a century older than you are. But at least you now know where the mages are - the Great Library seems to contain at least twenty of them at any time, and you are certain there are a few more secluded away in their laboratories, working on their own magical projects.

As noon draws closer a pudgy, bespectacled man with wild brown hair waddles towards and into the Forum of Hermes.

Spoiler: The Forum
    Show

The Forum is an enclosed miniature amphitheater, with enough seating space for a hundred and twenty magi. It is the site of Durenmar’s council meetings, as well as gatherings of the
    Rhine Tribunal and Grand Tribunal. The path leading up to it forms the straight central avenue of the covenant. At the end, a set of marble steps leads up to the entrance, flanked by statues of the Twelve Founders. (In place of the destroyed statue of Diedne, an empty plinth now represents House Ex Miscellanea.)

For those of you ready at the appointed time, he stands in the center of the amphitheater, whistling idly and twiddling his thumbs. He is accompanied by another mage, who sits on the forum steps and appears to be immersed in a thick, weighty-looking tome. This one is thin and slightly balding, and pays no attention to anyone else in the room.
    The short mage gives a curt nod to the other and furrows his brow in confusion as he counts the number of mages present. He begins speaking, and it is almost immediately apparent that his command of Latin is somewhat lacking, and his thick accent further complicates the task of attempting to understand him.

"Ahem, thank you for your in-coming... Ja, but for small your numbers are? Anyhoo, I shall beginning. I am Ricardus of Bonisagus, pleasure to meeting you, thank you.

Velkommen to Durenmar, greatest of sitting places of the Order. As you know I am sure, but you luckerly new mages are haffing offer made to form new covenant! Very rare, not happening for many years. Very sadly, all of sponsors cannot join us, much messing to deal with, yes. But is very good, we haff here friend Andrus of Bonisagus to tell you all about it!

With enthusiasm and a ostentatious flair of his hands, he gestures towards his companion, who continues reading his book silently.

It is at this point that Nicolaus enters the chamber.

... His words reverberate around the room. The balding man continues to read his book, turning a page ambivalently. Ricardus clears his throat meaningfully and nudges his companion.

"Ah, friend Andrus, can you of speaking with them? I have not the right words..."

Without looking up from his book, Andrus replies with clear disdain in his voice.

"... I'm only going to say this once. You have been lucky enough to be hand-selected as the pawns for yet another of Murion's vis-making schemes (At this he gives an obvious glare at Ricardus, who cheerfully beams back at him) - Only Founder knows how she managed to get the rest of the houses to approve the vote. There's an old covenant site somewhere in the island of Zealand, certainly far anyway from anything remotely resembling civilization. There's a magus who's been in Twilight there for the last 50 years or so, and we want to see if we can give away his stuff already. We're giving you a bunch of vis, equipment and grogs, so don't waste it. In return for this sponsorship, we expect a cut of whatever vis sources you claim - we'll discuss it more with you within two years or so.

Also, try not to rile up the local mundanes or do anything stupid. The last covenant fell apart because they all were egotistic to the point of idiocy, which is why we're trying with fresh - and hopefully humble - journeymen mages."

At this point Arellius arrives. Andrus stares at him for a moment, then sighs in disappointment.

"... Just try not to get yourselves killed. If you have any questions, ask the Redcap we've hired to guide you there."

"Thank to you Andrus, for many inspiration. Now that clearness is here, best lucking and gott travels!

With that, the two of them leave the forum, with Andrus ignoring any questions asked of him and Ricardus giving nigh-incomprehensible answers to anything you ask him.

As you leave the Forum, somewhat bewildered and confused, you notice a nearby group of people has assembled, seated on the ground around a wooden table that certainly wasn't here when you first passed by. It appears to be a red-headed woman bearing a jaunty scarlet cap, as well as five armed and armored men, all tough and scarred in appearance. It appears she is absolutely fleecing them in a round of cards.
    Last edited by Quantumphear; 2018-11-23 at 05:06 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

A full 15 miles into the forest is where it lies, and when you finally arrive at the semi-mythical location you are almost disappointed. There are no overt displays of powerful magic, no soaring towers piercing the skies as other stories would have you believe.
    Disappointed by what he sees, he goes to the library. (ooc: is there anyone like a librarian that might help me out? Otherwise I'll approach a young apprentice) "Please excuse the interruption. Where can I find tomes about architecture in this immensely rich library?"

(ooc: not sure if that helps at all. If not, Caementarius will just walk through the library and search by himself)

"... Just try not to get yourselves killed. If you have any questions, ask the Redcap we've hired to guide you there."

"Thank to you Andrus, for many inspiration. Now that clearness is here, best lucking and gott travels!

With that, the two of them leave the forum, with Andrus ignoring any questions asked of him and Ricardus giving nigh-incomprehensible answers to anything you ask him.
    After the two magi have spoken, Caementarius raises to his full height. First addressing Ricardus and then Andrus "Thank you Ricardus for the kind and welcoming words. I realize that you, Andrus, have better use for your time than talking to a ‘bunch of journeyman magi’. However, you approached us. While you might have little reason to be polite, you should be interested that the endeavor is successful, no? Where is the sodalus of house Mercere you where talking about? Why is she or he not here? What are the resources given by the sponsors?"

Turning towards the other young magi. "Salve sodales. I am Caementarius of house Jerbiton. We should figure out what preparations our sponsors have done and which preparations we should add. Let's talk to our sodalus/sodala of house Mercere. I'd like to see a map of the covenant's remains and the immediate surroundings."

As you leave the Forum, somewhat bewildered and confused, you notice a nearby group of people has assembled, seated on the ground around a wooden table that certainly wasn't here when you first passed by. It appears to be a red-headed woman bearing a jaunty scarlet cap, as well as five armed and armored men, all tough and scarred in appearance. It appears she is absolutely fleecing them in a round of cards.
    "Salve sodala, I am Caementarius of house Jerbiton. You are supposed to be our guide? A pleasure to meet you."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

The Magi made as little sense to her now that she was among their number as they had when she was still a child, but it's not like they provided a lot guidance. Travel to Zealand, re-establish Covenant. Sounds easy. Right.

She nods to Caementarius as he introduces himself, "Praepas of Mercere, though before you ask, I'm not your guide. I'll be working with you on this endeavor."

Caementarius seems especially eager, so she follows him out smiling warmly at the redcap as they approach.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Vir squats, perched on the edge of the stone amphitheater seat.
    After the presentation, he muses briefly the identity of the magus in twilight. Perhaps he could research it to find out?
    And what was this about Vis repayments, it seemed difficult to enforce and tenuous insofar as Durenmar's claim to Gotland was concerned. He wondered how Novgorod would feel knowing that they had essentially been enlisted as poachers.

At Fenodyree's boisterous introduction, he is started from his reverie of thinking and picking at the knot in this hair. Taken momentarily aback, he pauses to prepare his own introduction, and startles again when Praepas responds.

Determined to get it out, he blurts; "Vir. Bjornaer. Hello!" His own Latin is heavily accented, though grammatically and technically adequate.
    Last edited by CryBoy; 2018-11-23 at 10:17 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius bursts into his Parens' study, excitedly brandishing the letter which had just been brought to the Covenant. "Livinius! Look! The Order is establishing a new covenant in the north, and they've asked me to help found it!"

His master gives a small start from the interruption, but quickly composes himself. "What's that now? Let me see." The older magus takes the letter, skimming it over quickly. "Durenmar... I haven't been there since... well, let's just say this isn't the first time I've had a bit of a slip-up." He motions to his own, rather scarred face with a bit of a chuckle. The wounds had healed admirably fast, and he had started regrowing his hair. "This is quite excellent, my boy. I don't suppose they've said why? You'll have picked up a bit of my reputation, I'm sorry to say. They wouldn't let me touch a delicate matter like founding a new Covenant, I'm sure."

"I don't know anything more than what the letter says. Maybe that's why," Cassius offers with a laugh. "They've had us off here, after all, maybe they figure I can't do too much damage if they ship me off to a frontier somewhere."

"Perhaps..." Livinius strokes his chin for a moment, contemplating. "Still, I would be cautious. Both in your studies and in this assignment. The Order of Hermes is a political instrument, after all, and there are those extremely adept at manipulating that instrument. I would wager that there is a reason you've been picked, and it may or may not be entirely to your benefit." He frowns for a moment, mulling over possibilities, then shakes his head. "What am I saying, I should be congratulating you. Well done." He claps Cassius on the shoulder and smiles. "I cannot think of a better magus to forge out into new lands. Come, we need to get you packed."

Before long, Cassius was on board a boat bound across the Irish Sea to Dublin. He spent a little time roaming the familiar streets, then sought out his parents' village for the first time in fifteen years. He couldn't believe how much older they and his brothers were, and he told them what he could of his apprenticeship and his new destination. Still, it became clear the last fifteen years had changed him in ways he did not realize. Coming home was not as easy as he expected it to be, as Livinius had warned. He now inhabited an entirely different world than his mundane family members. Nevertheless he did what he felt was his duty to at least say farewell to them one last time before seeking passage onboard a ship to continental Europe. From a Dutch harbor he found a riverboat to take him up the Rhine, and then took the last several miles on foot, after convincing the boatmen he really did want to be let off on some nondescript patch of river. He took in the sights of the old forest as he approached.

Upon reaching Durenmar, a few days before the summons, Cassius is immediately awed. This was far older and more extensive than the old Covenant up in Scotland. He immediately set about exploring the towers and perusing the massive libraries, eagerly asking questions of anyone nearby--he knew a little about the covenant and Livinius had been able to tell him some things that were there, but seeing it in person was a completely different experience. He was closeted in the library, examining an ancient book and mentally adding to the list of others he would like to study--a list which was growing alarmingly--before realizing he only had a few minutes before the appointed meeting. He dashed from the library, nearly knocking over a scribe and only shouting an apology as he continued, but made it to the forum just in time to hear Ricardus and Andrus give their thoroughly puzzling briefing. Andrus was quite unlike Livinius, though he'd seen mages of his sort at the Covenant--surely had Livinius been running the operation, he would have given them something more to go on? In any case, Andrus seemed not to be interested in offering further assistance. Perhaps their Redcap would be more open. Livinius' warning about Order politics flashed across his mind.

"I am Cassius, of Bonisagus," he introduces himself with a smile to his new companions. "Pleasure to meet all of you."
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Salve sodala, I am Caementarius of house Jerbiton. You are supposed to be our guide? A pleasure to meet you."
    After her response and an exchange pleasantries Caementarius continues: "I hope you have more details about our endeavor that Andrus and Ricardus were willing to share...
    ... Do we have a map of the site? Of the surroundings? Did you visit the place before?
    ... We will need a blacksmith, one or two carpenters and I could need a helping hand from another stonemason...
    I suppose after 50 years, any building left can be counted as ruin...
    ... Andrus talked about magical resources as well. He mentioned Vis, but left out books and laboratories. Could you shed some light on our overall resources and people coming with us?"
    Last edited by eldarin; 2018-11-24 at 03:01 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Arellius smiled as he heard the curt explanation given by Andrus, nodding some. Once left from the extremely helpful elder magi, he would turn to the gathered journeyman magi. "Greetings sodales, greetings! I am certain that by our works, wits, and combined might, we will establish a covenant that will rival even the likes of these hallowed halls! Now, Caementarius was it? It would be best to find out what supplies will be need."

Once the group had found the redcap, Arellius would let Caementarius speak (as he seemed to have a decent idea of what was needed), instead taking the time to observe the group at large.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alaud25 View Post
    Arellius smiled as he heard the curt explanation given by Andrus, nodding some. Once left from the extremely helpful elder magi, he would turn to the gathered journeyman magi. "Greetings sodales, greetings! I am certain that by our works, wits, and combined might, we will establish a covenant that will rival even the likes of these hallowed halls! Now, Caementarius was it? It would be best to find out what supplies will be need."
    "That is indeed what we should do."
    Caementarius is glad he will not have to drive this alone.
    "For the construction part we need carpenters, masons and a smith for the tools. I can take the responsibility of the master mason myself. We will need labs, and should have some sources for study. We probably need a minimum economy, like food, clothing, all those mundane but necessary things. I am the wrong person for that though. Ideas?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"We can make little judgement on that until we know how many we are taking. As generous as our benefactor may be I would rather not begin our expedition with more debt than we can ever repay. I say we start small and learn the lay of the land I am sure we can request more supplies should we need it."
    Preapas brushes aside an errant red curl back into it's proper position as she thinks a moment "Gifts for the local people may be wise, they may not be a threat, but it will be easier if we can trade with them in the long term. Enough food for three months and a base supplies for building and farming."
    Last edited by spinningdice; 2018-11-24 at 02:05 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Lizardfolk

As the group of you leave the Forum and approach the group waiting for your, the assorted cards and dice are swept away into assorted pockets, and the Redcap curiously manages to fold the table in on itself a number of times until it is the size of glove, which she then tucks into one of the myriad pockets she has in her clothing.

With a bow and a smile the Redcap introduces herself as Hypatia, beaming at you all, though her smile fades for the barest moment as you all move closer.

Spoiler: Primer: The Gift and Grogs
    Show
    Redcaps and Grogs (explanation below) do not have the Parma Magica - this means that they are negatively affected by the Gift just like other mundanes are. However, Redcaps receive a large amount of training to ignore the social ramifications of the gift. As your assorted workers and employees of the covenant get used to you they will begin to ignore the effects of the gift when it comes to you, however any new Magi that they meet will incur the usual penalties for being gifted.

During this campaign you will have a number of mundane staff. These are collectively called Grogs - they cook, clean, maintain the covenant and generally they are trained to understand that the gift affects social interactions, but they will still be uncomfortable until they get used to you. Most importantly, you will have a number of trained men who will defend you in combat when it become necessary. Generally if any player wants to leave their mage at home and still participate in an adventure they can control the Grogs instead. For this reason, Grogs tend to be stereotypically hammy and overacted, and die like red-shirted extras when needed. It's your choice to either treat them as valuable companions or as meat-shields.

Quote Originally Posted by eldarin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaud25 View Post
    "Greetings sodales, greetings! I am certain that by our works, wits, and combined might, we will establish a covenant that will rival even the likes of these hallowed halls! Now, Caementarius was it? It would be best to find out what supplies will be need."
    Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    "I am Cassius, of Bonisagus," he introduces himself with a smile to his new companions. "Pleasure to meet all of you."
    "A pleasure to meet all of you! I've been assigned to be your guide, and these here shall be your loyal retainers!
    She gestures at the rough-looking men standing perhaps some 3 paces behind you - they sheepishly nod and mumble phrases along the lines of "In your service, milords".

"You're pretty lucky that your sponsors are so generous - most covenants have to make do with what they they can beg, borrow, or ... acquire. Luckily, you've been given some 50 pounds of silver to handle expenses. In addition, you've been loaned the services of a team of builders, as well as a general staff of around ten people. One of the Rhine covenants has generously offered passage aboard one of their vessels to ferry you to Zealand.

As you each acquaint yourselves with your comrades-to-be, Hypatia makes conversation and answers your questions where she can.

Quote Originally Posted by eldarin View Post
    "I hope you have more details about our endeavor that Andrus and Ricardus were willing to share...
    ... Do we have a map of the site? Of the surroundings? Did you visit the place before? ... We will need a blacksmith, one or two carpenters and I could need a helping hand from another stonemason...
    I suppose after 50 years, any building left can be counted as ruin... ... Andrus talked about magical resources as well. He mentioned Vis, but left out books and laboratories. Could you shed some light on our overall resources and people coming with us?"
    "Whew, one question at a time, aright? I haven't visit the site myself, but I know where to lead you. We've got a general staff to help you with cooking, cleaning and the like, while the builders will be able to put together some rudimentary buildings. You'll probably have to source a blacksmith or other talented workers from the area where we get settled.

Once you get set up properly, a shipment of vis will come through to help you with your projects, but you're expected to locate and secure your own sources... Hopefully not many of them have been located by Crintera, which is located nearby. You'll need to construct and arrange your own laboratories, of course. I expect the vast majority of your silver to go towards buying the necessary components.

Quote Originally Posted by spinningdice View Post
    "We can make little judgement on that until we know how many we are taking. As generous as our benefactor may be I would rather not begin our expedition with more debt than we can ever repay. I say we start small and learn the lay of the land I am sure we can request more supplies should we need it. Gifts for the local people may be wise, they may not be a threat, but it will be easier if we can trade with them in the long term. Enough food for three months and a base supplies for building and farming."
    She nods in agreement, giving you a brief smile.
    "That's a smart choice. No doubt there'll be some small village nearby, and its best to get on their good side if you want to get along as neighbors. We can pick up some supplies along the way."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quantumphear View Post
    With a bow and a smile the Redcap introduces herself as Hypatia, beaming at you all, though her smile fades for the barest moment as you all move closer.

"A pleasure to meet all of you! I've been assigned to be your guide, and these here shall be your loyal retainers!
    "The pleasure in mine."
    She gestures at the rough-looking men standing perhaps some 3 paces behind you - they sheepishly nod and mumble phrases along the lines of "In your service, milords".

"You're pretty lucky that your sponsors are so generous - most covenants have to make do with what they they can beg, borrow, or ... acquire. Luckily, you've been given some 50 pounds of silver to handle expenses. In addition, you've been loaned the services of a team of builders, as well as a general staff of around ten people. One of the Rhine covenants has generously offered passage aboard one of their vessels to ferry you to Zealand.
    Having been on more than one building site during the last 25 years, Caementarius has no problem identifying the builders in the group of grogs.
    "It's a pleasure. Caementarius is my name. Formerly known as Aristide, the son of the son of the son of a stonemason from Greece. I suppose we will be working together shortly." Caementarius continues to chat about his and there craft. (ooc: let's see what first impression he makes with the builders. simple role+Pre+Etiquette-Gift; (1d10)[6](6) (+1+2-3=+0); any chance my knowledge in their craft helps to reduce the gift penalty?)
    As you each acquaint yourselves with your comrades-to-be, Hypatia makes conversation and answers your questions where she can.

"Whew, one question at a time, aright? I haven't visit the site myself, but I know where to lead you. We've got a general staff to help you with cooking, cleaning and the like, while the builders will be able to put together some rudimentary buildings. You'll probably have to source a blacksmith or other talented workers from the area where we get settled.
    With the words ‘rudimentary buildings’ Caementarius raises his eyebrows.
    "I suppose it's going to be cold up there during winter, so we should go for a proper building, not a group of huts. For how long will the builders be with us? I'll plan accordingly."

Looking at everyone around. "I suppose we shouldn't lose any more time. Spring has come and the new covenant should be well established before winter. Hypatia, when do propose we should start?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Vir edges around Praepas and pokes his head over the rest of the cluster of magi "Maps? Names of nearby villages? Landmarks? Name of the prior Covenant?" he asks addressing the Redcap.

He needs more information to identify the site, or if he wants to do some more research around the matter.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"Rudimentary is fine to begin with, unless we can patch up what's there - we need somewhere to stay warm at night while you build your fancy towers." Praepas gently teases Caementarius, even as she makes a mental note of his other name, Aristide... Surely he wouldn't give his true name out to comparative strangers? Was this another alias?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Rudimentary is fine to begin with, unless we can patch up what's there - we need somewhere to stay warm at night while you build your fancy towers." Praepas gently teases Caementarius, even as she makes a mental note of his other name, Aristide... Surely he wouldn't give his true name out to comparative strangers? Was this another alias?
    "Fancy towers, a Roman villa or something else. I'll have some ideas ready, but we should see the building site. Rudimentary dwelling is necessary for the first weeks, but I suggest we should be beyond that before summer."
    Last edited by eldarin; 2018-11-26 at 01:11 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius gives a bright wave to the assembled builders and workers. "Welcome aboard, then! Good of you to join us on this little adventure!" It was certainly helpful that the other covenants had provided these resources--far better than starting from scratch--though Livinius' warning about Order politics crossed his mind once more. He half-listens to Caementarius and Praepas discuss the buildings, but a comment by Hypatia catches his attention. "Crintera's nearby? That could be helpful." Hopefully they hadn't taken up all the vis sources in the area, but if they ran into more trouble than they were expecting it could be a source of allies. Especially as they had a Bjornaer along.
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2018-11-29 at 01:58 PM. Reason: my character knows more about the setting than I do
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

"We're going to be building on the site of an older covenant. Are there any dangers in the place that we should be aware of?" Nicolaus asks, sounding almost hopeful. "And what about this mage in Twilight?"

He turns to Caementarius. "You've missed something important in your list of grogs. We'll need some warriors to defend the covenant! Unless you're suggesting we should handle all the physical fighting ourselves. I'd be happy to go along with that myself, actually, but I doubt the rest of you would be."

"We'll also need some way of making money if we're planning on trading with the locals. Unless you feel up to literally making it, Caement?"
    Last edited by pi4t; 2018-11-29 at 06:07 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by CryBoy View Post
    Vir edges around Praepas and pokes his head over the rest of the cluster of magi "Maps? Names of nearby villages? Landmarks? Name of the prior Covenant?" he asks addressing the Redcap.

He needs more information to identify the site, or if he wants to do some more research around the matter.
    "The last time someone settled there was back in 952 - Supposedly the site was once the hall of some famous king of legend, so they named it Heorot after that. I doubt there's any maps...

Spoiler: Maps?
    Show
    In these times, land maps are rare and often uncared for. The art of charting territory is imprecise, and people are unlikely to map areas that don't belong to them, especially when borders change so often. In the renaissance age maps of unexplored lands become worth their weight in gold, but for now they are seen as unnecessary rarities.

Caementarius immediately begins showing his stonemasons knowledge to the team of builders. You have slightly overjudged their capabilities, and while they admit your knowledge is superior they are left largely clueless about most of what you're saying. These are simple laborers, and cannot compete with your academic studies of grand cathedrals and soaring sculptures.

Spoiler
    Show
    'Also, the effects of the gift cannot be removed in a single day, or even a single year. It will take time. To these simple folk, you have an unsettling air of unnatural magicks about you.'

With the introductions over, your group takes to the roads. Some two wagons drawn by oxen carry a number of your new grogs as well as supplies, but the majority of you are on foot; horses do not take well to the Gift. It is a beautiful spring day, and once you leave the shady boughs of the Black Forest you easily reach a major roadway - Although it is only a wide dirt road, it is safe enough to travel on, at least in these parts. Your travels will take a while, you might as well get to know the others in the party...

Spoiler: Travelling montage!
    Show
    Your route avoids major cities, and you detour around the small hamlets that dot the landscape. It will take about a week of straight travelling to reach the northern shores of the Rhine, where your passage awaits. Are you used to travelling like this? How do you interact with the other mages? What do you do to pass the time?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Preapes approaches Caementarius after his attempts to speak with the builders. "If you need an intermediary, allow me to serve. The gift does not flow so strongly through me, so I make ordinary folk a little less uncomfortable." she hopes the insinuation of him being more gifted appeases his ego. Many magi do not like to ask for outside help.

Before setting out she kisses goodbye to her daughter, and her parents. The goodbye is surprisingly wrenching, while she had seen her little enough as she completed her apprenticeship, the knowledge she was within easy reach had been a comfort. Apparently many of the Mercere gave up their children to be raised by suitable carer's, maybe her next children would be someone else's responsibility. This one would be hers.

As they travel she is almost tempted to unpack her own red cap, as she had done when on the road before. But it seemed disrespectful when her colleague Hypatia was charged as their guide, so she kept with the other Magi, comparing notes and trying to get a feel for where their skills lie.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Praepes has 'Gentle Gift' so she gets no mechanical penalty for interacting with mortals/animals, though I think something still feels a little odd about her to them
    Last edited by spinningdice; 2018-11-29 at 12:24 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pi4t View Post
    [B]"He turns to Caementarius. "You've missed something important in your list of grogs. We'll need some warriors to defend the covenant! Unless you're suggesting we should handle all the physical fighting ourselves. I'd be happy to go along with that myself, actually, but I doubt the rest of you would be."
    "You are right. And you are right that I missed that part. I suppose that's why all of us are here."

"We'll also need some way of making money if we're planning on trading with the locals. Unless you feel up to literally making it, Caement?"
    ”While that might be the case, I doubt our sponsors see that as their obligation."
    It takes a bit until Caementarius realizes how he has just been addressed.
    "... I don't think we know each other close enough to start using nicknames."

Quote Originally Posted by Quantumphear View Post
    Caementarius immediately begins showing his stonemasons knowledge to the team of builders. You have slightly overjudged their capabilities, and while they admit your knowledge is superior they are left largely clueless about most of what you're saying. These are simple laborers, and cannot compete with your academic studies of grand cathedrals and soaring sculptures.
    Caementarius hides his disappointment.
    "I'll show you what I mean when we are at the building site."
    Spoiler
    Show

'Also, the effects of the gift cannot be removed in a single day, or even a single year. It will take time. To these simple folk, you have an unsettling air of unnatural magicks about you.'
    That was not my intention either. Just wanted to make a good impression, no matter if that results in any mechanics. And I thought there could be a bonus from having a craft in common.

Preapes approaches Caementarius after his attempts to speak with the builders. "If you need an intermediary, allow me to serve. The gift does not flow so strongly through me, so I make ordinary folk a little less uncomfortable." she hopes the insinuation of him being more gifted appeases his ego. Many magi do not like to ask for outside help.
    Caementarius nods in agreement.
    "Thank you Praepas for the offer. I will get back to it when the building starts."

With the introductions over, your group takes to the roads. Some two wagons drawn by oxen carry a number of your new grogs as well as supplies, but the majority of you are on foot; horses do not take well to the Gift. It is a beautiful spring day, and once you leave the shady boughs of the Black Forest you easily reach a major roadway - Although it is only a wide dirt road, it is safe enough to travel on, at least in these parts. Your travels will take a while, you might as well get to know the others in the party...

Spoiler: Travelling montage!
    Show
    Your route avoids major cities, and you detour around the small hamlets that dot the landscape. It will take about a week of straight travelling to reach the northern shores of the Rhine, where your passage awaits. Are you used to travelling like this? How do you interact with the other mages? What do you do to pass the time?
    Hah, on the road again. Although this time we omit large settlements… Traveling with his parens, that was always the best part of the journey.

Caementarius will make plans for building. Whenever there is a break, he will put his thoughts on paper, drawing some rough sketches of what could be built. While walking he will also chat with the other magi, in order to check whether his building plans resonate well with the others, check what talents the others bring to the endeavor and to generally sozialise with his new companions.

To Praepas, potentially at multiple occasions:
    "We should definitely build up good relationships with our neighbors. It's good to have you by our side. As you said you are more ... used to interact with mundanes."

"As much as I'd like to build fancy towers, I think this would raise suspicion, no? What do you think about a classical Roman domus?" Caementarius pulls out a drawing

"We could start with one to have a warm and dry place for all of us, but could expand later."

To Nicolaus
    Showing the same drawing.
    "What do you think? It's not as easy to defend as a castle maybe, but there is only one entrance and no outside facing windows."

To Cassius
    Showing the same drawing.
    "What do you think about having a laboratory out of sight of potential visitors, beneath the domus? Could even be larger than normal this way. We might have to share it in the beginning, before we can expand the covenant to more buildings."
    Caementarius adds parenthetically "I wonder who could put together that lab, while I will build the domus on top."

To Mairon and Arelius
    "What is your craft, dear sodales? You might have noticed, mine is building. I wonder if we could forge some building tools together, when we will have a first lab."

When he realizes that Aurelius is an artist he is delighted. Showing the plan from above: "There are so many walls that could benefit from a good painting."

To Vir
    "Will Crintera be an ally or competitor, what do you think? They are close and resources are always scarce. Do they have stakes to the north?"
    Last edited by eldarin; 2018-12-01 at 04:05 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius spends most of the trip taking in the sights. He's never traveled to Germany before, and the landscape is quite different from the green fields of Ireland or the rough hills of the Scottish highlands. He seems mostly unbothered by the long trip to the shores of the Rhine--he's used to long trips, both as a magus and beforehand. He makes conversation with the other magi and their non-gifted companions if they seem willing--where they came from, what led them to this point, and so on.

He studies over the sketches Caementarius shows him. "Hmm... Seems like a good idea. Both to keep it out of sight, and out of the way of the rest of the covenant in case... well..." He shakes back his sleeve, briefly showing his mangled left hand. "Accidents do happen, after all. Once you and the builders have the space cleared, I can do some work setting things up." He honestly seems a little surprised at the idea of sharing the lab--the other magi had never wanted to share a laboratory space with him and Livinius before.

-----

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    He studies over the sketches Caementarius shows him. "Hmm... Seems like a good idea. Both to keep it out of sight, and out of the way of the rest of the covenant in case... well..." He shakes back his sleeve, briefly showing his mangled left hand. "Accidents do happen, after all. Once you and the builders have the space cleared, I can do some work setting things up." He honestly seems a little surprised at the idea of sharing the lab--the other magi had never wanted to share a laboratory space with him and Livinius before.
    Caementarius takes a mental note to plan for extra thick ceiling for the underground lab.

"Thanks. I'll notify you as soon as the site is cleared. We'll how soon we can build more. Not many of us will be satisfied with a lab only every six seasons."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

At Caementarius's suggestion of a romanesque forum Vir squawks out a laugh.

"If your goal is to be more surreptitious than a tower I think you may be overestimating the architectural panache of the denizens of the north. Plus a tower is good in a siege. Sieging should be a concern."

"As for Crintera , I should be more worried about the Oculus Septentrionalis and Waddenzee. Unsavoury untrustworthy Magi all." Vir reports, wiping his hands on his robe, as if you remove an unpleasant residue. "Oh, and the north belongs officially to Novgorod. Not sure what Ricardus and Andrus are stirring up, but should the wrath of Novgorod turn to us, Crintera would be our only possible ally."

That satisfied, he bobs his head and retreats. He has no interest in trekking the distance to zealand. He believes his time would be better spend combing the tribunal archives of Durenmar, finding everything he can regarding the ancient, failed covenant. Forewarned is forearmed after all.

He announces this intention to his freshly acquired soladies as they begin their preparations to depart.

30. - Top - End - #30

Lizardfolk

Praepes has 'Gentle Gift' so she gets no mechanical penalty for interacting with mortals/animals, though I think something still feels a little odd about her to them.
    Indeed, the mundanes travelling with your group are respectful to each of the magi, yet they remain wary when engaged in conversation. However, while they understand that Praepes is a maga as well, they are openly friendly and in fact begin to treat her as the leader of the group - whenever they wish to ask the magi a question they will use Praepes as an intermediary. Her comely appearance certainly helps make her popular with all the men she is travelling with, but this does have the side effect of creating a bit of envy from their wives...

Quote Originally Posted by pi4t View Post
    He turns to Caementarius. "You've missed something important in your list of grogs. We'll need some warriors to defend the covenant! Unless you're suggesting we should handle all the physical fighting ourselves. I'd be happy to go along with that myself, actually, but I doubt the rest of you would be."

Spoiler
    Show
    As mentioned in the previous post, you have a number of armed guards and soldiers who will be accompanying you, around seven in all. You may recruit more than that, but remember that mundane authorities do not tolerate groups raising small armies in their borders.

Quote Originally Posted by CryBoy View Post
    That satisfied, he bobs his head and retreats. He has no interest in trekking the distance to zealand. He believes his time would be better spend combing the tribunal archives of Durenmar, finding everything he can regarding the ancient, failed covenant. Forewarned is forearmed after all.
    You return to Durenmar, but you do not have the freedom to freely use the Durenmar archives. Several other magi voice their disapproval to you when you try, and an elderly archivist sighs as he informs you that you will have to apply for a specific time of year to gain the access you desire. He suggests you make yourself comfy, as the next open slot is in 1238.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC:Please roll for your preferred method of social interaction as well as Order of Hermes Lore. You can do this in discord, and I will edit this spoiler to show what information you uncover in your time. I am assuming that you are spending a week studying, then using the next week to fly over to the location in Zealand.

Spoiler: Conversations on the road...
    Show

OOC: Conversations copied from the Discord server, slightly fixed up and posted.

On another occasion on the road, Caementarius walks at the side of Praepes: "Do you think we can recruit covenfolk from the local population? I could train a stonemason or two. I am sure Nicolaus could train some guards. But, I don't speak a language but Greek and Latin... and there is the gift and how people usually react."

Praepes: "Hmm, maybe I will need to spend some time learning the local language, I'm not sure how far I can get along in German. Otherwise recruiting some locals as guides or intermediaries sounds like a good idea."

Caementarius: "Having guides and intermediaries is for sure important. What are thoughts regarding covenfolk? If I understood correctly, those we have with us now will not stay with us forever."

Praepes: "Nobody will stay with us forever, we will replace them before too long. The natives would be ideal to recruit from, if not then we can put out word among my brethren and give incentives for people to find their way to us."

Caementarius: "My hope was that you would give an answer like that. I'd be glad if you could take over responsibility for it."

Praepes: "I had assumed such would fall to me, since I have little skill in construction or otherwise establishing our grounds."

On one of the next halts Caementarius drafts an alternative building, and shows it to the others: "What do you think? Start with a Roman Domus and work towards a Roman village? Or start with part of a larger structure... If we kept it to two stories high? But it would still occupy approximately 22 pace in diameter and look a bit like a fortress."

Praepes: "I'd rather leave the constructing for you, I have little concept of it. Though I would like to hold off dominating the landscape until we are established.

Caementarius: "No worries, I'll do the constructing. Just trying to balance my liking of large and spectacular structures, Nicolaus liking of fortresses and battle with your sense of normal folk." Caementarius puts up a smile.

Nicolaus, overhearing one of Caementarius's conversations with Praepes, frowns. "I liked the idea of the towers. We're magi - we should live like it! But I suppose the order won't be too happy if we make ourselves too obvious to the locals. The plans look decent, but we'll have to magically reinforce the walls, of course. They won't stand up to a decent battering otherwise. Especially not a magic one.
    And if we're worried about enemies who can fly, we'll also need to protect the courtyards somehow."

On another occasion on the road, Caementarius joins Nicolaus: "As you were pointing out defenses, could you take the task of training some guards, if we find locals to join us?"

Nicolaus "Oh, of course, of course. I've never tried actually teaching anyone before. Should be fun."

The days pass by, and you continue to walk each day with the sun shining down upon you. When night falls, you share a campfire and tell stories, sing songs and otherwise pass the night away. While the mundanes still remain wary, the two groups get along nicely.

Three days have passed, and noon approaches on the fourth day. Your group is passing through a wooded thicket, where songbirds sing and a number of young trees lean over a burbling brook. A wooden bridge perhaps some ten paces across is the most obvious route across this river; However when your group draws close you hear a shrill voice suddenly screech.

"Troll toll! Pay the troll toll!"

A creature steps out from underneath the bridge, shaking its water-sodden hair and drawing itself to its full height, moving onto the bridge to bar the way. It gives you a deathly glare, baring its teeth and screeching "Can't pass unless you pay the troll toll! Them's the rules!"

It is covered all over with sodden black hair, and appears to have wicked-looking fangs and claws. It's about half a pace tall.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Please roll whatever supernatural lore you possess if you wish.
    Last edited by Quantumphear; 2018-12-03 at 04:27 AM.