New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Default Upgrades and Downgrades for Player Rolls

Hey everyone! I am about to start a campaign in about 2 weeks and I had an idea and I wanted to see how others think it would be. For role playing purposes, some players enjoy having low scores in certain things so they can play there character as super weak or stupid. So I was thinking about allowing players to increase and decrease scores using a simple method I can up with. Every player would be able to decrease one score by 2 and then increase another by only one. I wanted to know if anyone thinks this is possibly to strong as it could allow players to get a 20 at the start if they roll decently. Thanks everyone.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Upgrades and Downgrades for Player Rolls

As soon as you let them roll, you're already letting them get a 20 in a stat through race bonuses - that's not a concern. If you're that worried, make it so the stat they increase can't already be their highest.
    Last edited by Eloel; 2018-02-24 at 11:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Upgrades and Downgrades for Player Rolls

If you're using point buy, your PCs can start with 8s. You could adapt the Pathfinder point buy, I think they let you go down to 6 or 7.
    ~ Composer99

D&D 5e Campaign:
    Adventures in Eaphandra

D&D 5e Homebrew:
    This can be found in my extended homebrew signature!