New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Sea of Stars - IC

Since they returned here Anika has sat slumped against the bulkhead. Not doing anything for a bit was making her feel a lot better even if it couldn't last. She will join in the gambling for a bit just for the fun of it. If she starts to do too well she will get out early out of the belief that it was unseemly for anyone wealthy to be too successful at winning other people's money.

She will try not to listen too intently to Hannabel's conversation with the Navigator. With the box held in her coat she had very specific reasons to be interested in what she looked like through the Navigator's third eye. The talk of the energy grid was pretty exciting to her too. The data was another reason to take a look at the tunnels, even if this only ended up with everyone leaving in a hurry. 'Involving the Mechanicus is a good idea. A battalion of Skitarri would come in handy right about now

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Hopefully this is enough to remove her fatigue

Gamble
    vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[79]

Deceive to give the impression she doesn't know how the game works.
    vs. Fel 47
    (1d100)[35]

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Anika and Hannabel were welcomed into the game by the marines, and playing cards did help time go faster. In the absense of much to use as money, the men were apparently playing using spare bullets as chips. They explained the rules to Anika, who did a good job convincing everyone she didn't know how the game worked - unfortunately, this required losing a great deal, generally to Hannabel. The pilot played exceptionally well, ending up with most of the bullets in a pile in front of her. When the game broke up, Hannabel was able to go pester the Navigator instead.

The Navigator was characteristically terse. Most of them were, though this one appeared to be making a special effort to not insult people. She complained that trying to explain warp sight to someone without it was like trying to explain the colour green to someone born blind. Questions about her house caused her to clam up entirely, though she was happy enough to talk about the Navigator Primus, who was of House Cedd, and of the Talon. It was, according to her, easy to pilot, but prone to running into trouble. Naturally curious, inquisitive, always ready to go beyond the charted courses. The ship had changed masters a few times, but she'd always stayed with it.

"I think that's the idea," The vox confirmed. "It'll be valuable to have, in any case. Do you want them to drop the sensor packages? Orbital insertion is a bit rough with the supply pods we've got, so we can't send any men with them, but the equipment should be fine."
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius didn't mingle with the crew. It wasn't seemly, after all. Fraternizing with the lower orders could give them ideas. Instead, he pulled out some of his reserve amasec from the shuttle's hidden compartment- he'd made sure his shuttle was equipped with in for just this sort of eventuality. Some might scoff at ordering a command shuttle with an expanded pilot's compartment to fit a luxurious reclining chair, but he wasn't going to sleep on a bedroll, now was he? Sure, it made the passenger compartment smaller, but it was worth it. After a time spent with his amasec and a particularly fine book of devotional poetry, he taps his micro-bead. Anika, old chum, would you be so kind as to come in here? Bring that box you found and the Navigator. When they enter, he offers them each a glass of amasec, which Almagor hands them.

My lady Navigator. I don't believe we've met in person. Lord Macharius Absalom- a pleasure to make your acquaintance. His formal bow would not have been out of place in a governor's palace. Couldn't let down the decorum just because they were hiding from xenos in a crashed shuttle. My friend Lady Vanhal has found an interesting curio that we were hoping you could examine. He waves them over to chairs and retakes his throne. Almagor stays standing.
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2018-09-15 at 09:37 PM.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika will try not to look guilty and fish the box out of her coat.

'This would be the box that reminded me of that other planet. Something about the decoration here and the architecture there.' And the important part. 'I have no wish to open it without some supervision, but it may be helpful to know what's in there if we are to go into those tunnels. Lady Navigator, what does this look like to you.'

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

"Is that why you had me come down to this forsaken iceball?" the Navigator groused, looking at the box with distaste. "There's something there, but I don't think it's the box itself. Can you open it? Whatever's inside... looks very strange. It feels powerful, old..." She raised a hand to her forehead, closing her eyes. The box's lock was still unopened, but there was now time, if Anika wanted to crack it. Breaking the lid would also work, but would likely ruin the box.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ettin in the Playground

Before resorting to using Ravia's power axe Anika is going to take a chisel from her coat and try to pry open the box. If she had to damage the box to get it open perhaps she could focus on breaking the lock.

Show
    Trade (Archaeologist) was in ooc thread earlier

If that's not enough I'll use the power axe on it.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

Whatever material the lock was made from, it wasn't especially strong. Anika couldn't avoid breaking the lock itself, but she was able to work the chisel in and snap it open without inflicting too much damage on the box. There were a few toolmarks where she had inserted the chisel, but that was hardly avoidable. The inside of the box was unlined, and held three small shards of bone-like crystal, shot through with veins of some purple, almost black mineral.

The Navigator looked at the shards and shivered. "Inert, I think. I can see the warp clinging to them... You know what those are?"

Spoiler: Anika Only
    Show
    Anika did, of course. Yu'Vath crystals were unmistakeable, once you knew what to look for. The box, on the other hand, was decidedly not of Yu'Vath manufacture. Memories of Kadath flooded back: the black stone, covered in waves and spirals. Ruins. The ancient, cyclopean city. Those ruins had been built before the Yu'Vath domination of the sector, she was almost certain, but how long before? How long had it taken for the xenos to become dominant, to take over a client race? There had been many client races, she knew that, as well.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    You know what those are?
    Anika is going to drop the box and let out the dirtiest oath that she knows. That would explain a lot. Once she has calmed herself down. 'They're Yu'vath crystals.'

9. - Top - End - #489
    Firbolg in the Playground

++No wonder there are some interesting signals coming out of the ground then++

Ravia has been passing the time running data and processing theories on her interests

++And explains the weapons the creatures were using++
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Oooh! Those are pretty! I have just the gown to go with them too!" Hannabel coos excitedly. "What? They're inert, aren't they? No harm done in making a snazzy necklace out of 'em, right?"

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    "Oooh! Those are pretty! I have just the gown to go with them too!" Hannabel coos excitedly. "What? They're inert, aren't they? No harm done in making a snazzy necklace out of 'em, right?"
    Anika responds absently, 'I believe she said that she thought they were inert.'

'Perhaps it doesn't matter, but whatever happens here we might want to pass word of this place onto the right people. There are Yu'vath sites all over the Calixis sector as it is, but at least there the Inquisition knows enough to keep watch over them.'

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius blanches at the name of the Yu'vath. Close the box. Now. His tone is unusually sharp and harsh, sending the Navigator scurrying to close the box. These are extremely dangerous and heretical. The Yu'vath are among the greatest blasphemies to ever stalk the galaxy, and their works have been the downfall of many a noble Trader. We will contact the Holy Inquisition at once. Concealing and trading Yu'vath finds is a heresy punishable by death through excruciation, if you're lucky.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

When Anika dropped the box it hit the deck, scattering the crystals across the chamber. The Navigator sighed and, at Macharius' order, took up the box and started picking up crystals. "Heretical I'll give you. Dangerous is only potentially true. They could be, or they could be dead and cold, not that I particularly want to find out. What I find interesting..."

Picking up the last of the crystals and dropping it into the box, the Navigator shut the lid. "...is that the box was very clearly not made by Yu'Vath, and neither were those guns. Probably the buildings weren't either, following the logic from those two facts. The xenos here may have been a client race."

She held out the box, for Macharius or ANika or anyone else who cared to take it. "How do you plan on contacting the Inquisition from here anyways?"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Hannabel takes the box from the Navigator. "I'll keep an eye on these, sir. No worries!"

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika will answer the Navigator. 'Not so much contacting the Ordos from here, but maybe have Pytho call up someone who might be willing to pass on information for me in case the rest of us get into trouble.'

Show
    As there are no contact rules in this game, I can roll Fel to see if Anika knows people who might be ok with passing on a message. Anika can always call her parents as a last resort as well.

Charm or Inquiry if allowed
    vs. Fel 47 (+10 Peer (probably Academics to call an old colleage))
    (1d100)[14]

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius eyes Hannabel levelly. I am not joking, Hannabel. If you open that Throne-cursed box again I will have you spaced. Am I understood? Almagor, vox the Sting and have Pytho prepare to send a message.

He rubs his temples briefly, then looks up, back to his normal cheerful demeanor. Well then, I suppose we shall have to exterminate the lot of them, eh? Convenient that they're just a client race. The yuvath themselves were tough blighters, from all I've heard.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Seeing if Macharius has any contacts that could help in contacting the Inquisition without putting us too much at risk. First among the nobility: (1d100)[41] vs 92 (Peer (Nobility), Renowned Warrant)

Or the military: (1d100)[8] vs 92 (Peer (Military), Renowned Warrant)

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Between the two of them, Anika and Macharius came up with a handful of names of people who might be able to pass on a message. It was a good-sized list, and had more than decent odds of getting something to the Inquisition. The Sting, via Almagor, confirmed that Pytho was ready to take the message and start sending, as soon as they decided what, exactly, they wanted to say.

"Sounds like you have a plan," the Navigator said. "How're you going to kill them all? Lead a protracted campaign? Orbital Bombardment won't do much through all this ice, and I'd rather not be on a planet that's getting bombarded in the first place. We still need a way offworld."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    The Sting, via Almagor, confirmed that Pytho was ready to take the message and start sending, as soon as they decided what, exactly, they wanted to say.
    To Macharius, 'I intended this to be a message of last resort to be sent in the event of our deaths. But there is no harm in telling them anyway. It is up to you if we include the coordinates of this place.'

Anika will send a message to a Doctor Reichert from her old department at the Hetaireia Lexis. Not that he had ever spoken of it openly but it was widely known that he had done some consulting work for the Ordos on more then one occasion.

Spoiler: Message
    Show

Elias
    I've discovered something out here. What happened to me on that last expedition. I think it was the Yu'vath the whole time, and they're not as dead as everyone thinks. Perhaps it's just their leavings, but the Crusade never came out this far. There may be living Yu'vath out here in the Expanse. We're going to do what we can but if we fail someone needs to be told, even if only to be watchful. Pass this on to your friends. [Planetary Coordinates if Macharius agrees]
    Anika

As for the plan, 'Bring enough people with us with the best weapons we can find on the ship. Then kill anything that tries to kill us first.' War was really very simple when you thought about it.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Digging around the lander, Hannabel finds some duct tape and ostentatiously wraps it tightly around the box in full view of Macharius. The result isn't pretty, but it will take some determined sawing with a sharp blade to open the box. Then she stuffs the box inside her pack for safekeeping.

"Lord Commander? If I may say so, we hardly have enough intelligence about this place to be able to accurately assess what sort of threat these xenos present, nor what sort of effort is required to do anything about them. And I agree with our lady Navigator - an orbital bombardment likely won't do much, what with any targets being stuck beneath all this ice. I suggest we bring down enough troops to form a defensible base camp, gather data as the tech priests have suggested, and maybe take some time to explore the nearest tunnels and city if possible. Then we can decide whether this is a war we want to fight."

20. - Top - End - #500
    Banned

Hmf! Snorts Felidae - who's been silent all this while, letting people better suited to that sort of thing do the thinking. Quite likely she considers is somewhat distasteful. Of course we want to fight this fight. Question is only whether we can win it. The Emperor will have this rock, and these xenos will either submit or fade into the background radiation of the galaxy.

Seeming to have spent her vocal ammo, Felidae lapses back into silence.

21. - Top - End - #501

++If we can get the data without unnecessary conflict or damage to structures the better, pacification of unruly natives is hardly something that worries the Might of the Mechcanicus and they have arms that are well suited to it++
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

It was another full day before the shuttles were ready, the techpriests aboard the Manticore's Sting having done the best they could to harden the engines against the extreme conditions sweeping the planet. The temperature inside the Aquila dropped, even with the cabin heaters running full bore, and the crew inside were forced to sleep in their cold weather gear. It was a long, uncomfortable night, the interior of the shuttle cramped and unsuited for long occupation. For everyone except Macharius, of course. Fortunately, the blizzard conditions outside served to hide the shuttle from the Xenos, and there were no attacks during the night. In the morning, they had to dig out the exit ramp, the snow having piled up enough to box them in. The Aquila was buried, only the antennae for the vox sticking out above the snowdrifts. The storm had broken during the night, and when they emerged from their steel cave into the light of day they were greeted with clear skies and frigid wind. Not long after, the shuttles with their cargoes of men and equipment started to arrive.

The first shuttle down held only the sensor packages. Since the command team had elected to wait for the shuttles to bring down more troops, the Techpriests had decided against air-dropping them. They came with a detailled list of instructions for deployment, and many warnings about the sensitive nature of the equipment. The Navigator requested leave to return to the ship with this shuttle, stating emphatically that she had "no desire to spend a further minute in this Emperor-forsaken hellhole." Once That shuttle was followed by others, each landing in the staging area, discharging its compliment of men, and taking off again. While the men were landing, there was plenty of opportunity to send initial scouting parties into the tunnels.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika is leaving any military planning to others. Instead she has probably been conferring with Ravia or Hannabel about what either knew about the Yu'vath. Too much of what Anika knew came from second-hand sources that couldn't really be trusted.

To pass the time, she get involved in any gambling that's going on to make up for her losses earlier.

Spoiler: So how does this game work again?
    Show

Gamble vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[43]

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Pre-Shuttles

After pondering for a while, Macharius thinks of his old friend from his Navy days, Josephus Beckenmatt. Good man, that. They'd always been close. And extremely well-connected. From an old naval family, he was always the one sent to deal with unspecified Xenos. If anyone had contacts in the Ordo Xenos who could help, it'd be him.

Pythonissam. Transmit the following message posthaste to Admiral Josephus Beckenmatt of the Imperial Navy, Calixis Sector Command.

Spoiler: Message
    Show
    Beckenmatt,
    Hope this message finds you well, old chum! Found ourselves in a bit of a sticky wicket xenos-wise out in the Expanse. Something the good men and women of the Ordo Xenos ought to know about. Possible Yu'vath involvement, and all that. Would appreciate it terribly if you could pass this on to them. Coordinates are attached. Looking forward to our next reunion at Port Wander- I've had a cask of the good amasec aging for it. You remember the one we used to get at the Academy?

Yours in His Glorious Service,
    Absalom

Another message might not be a bad idea, Anika. How reliable is this man? We don't want word of this to spread too far.

Post-Shuttles

Macharius busies himself ordering the troops around. Scouting parties to the fore! Map what you can and report back. If you see small enough patrols to engage, do so, but avoid any larger groups. These are deadly fighters- don't underestimate the vile things! Once we have a full scouting report, we'll proceed in force. Cleanse and purge, all that lovely stuff.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post
    Another message might not be a bad idea, Anika. How reliable is this man? We don't want word of this to spread too far.
    'Elias likes having tenure too much to make waves, and he's reliable enough to have kept his mouth shut about whatever work he was doing with them before.'

26. - Top - End - #506
    Banned

Felidae will reluctantly approach Macharius:

I feel I should be leading the patrols, commander. The men are courageous and strong, but none of them are ... well, you know. She glances meaningfully at her old boltgun.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"I agree with Legs McBolterface, Lord Commander. She should be leading all the patrols," Hannabel jokes. "And I should be going with them. Permission to join a patrol, sir?"

28. - Top - End - #508
    Banned

That's Lady McBolterFace to you, civilian! Snaps Felidae - although she seems strangely flattered.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

Hannabel and Felidae took command of a patrol each. Using the pit with the ancient skeleton as an entrance and staging area, the marines established a perimeter, setting up tents and sandbags filled with snow. The company had little in terms of heavy weapons, instead relying on massed overlapping fire lines and a secure position to win the day if they were attacked. The scouting parties dropped into the pit, sliding to the bottom and enlarging the tunnel entrance with a few well-placed explosives. Then, they vanished into the tunnels, while a team of men armed with entrenching tools, lasguns and pitons set about making the pit into a more convenient entrance. The snow fell lightly throughout, but it was a far cry from the blizzards of the previous day, and there was laughter and joking amongst the men - they were in good spirits, for now.

The scouting parties maintained vox contact, recording a map as they went. Every so often, a burst of gunfire would sound over the vox, as Felidae's bolter sent a small party of Xenos off to meet their maker. They moved quickly and efficiently, skirting large groups of hostiles and returning with a detailed map of the tunnel system as they had found it; it was extensive, stretching out beneath the ice in a labyrinth of caves and narrow twisting passages. The scout parties had returned without mapping the entire thing, reporting that doing so would likely take a very long time indeed, and that the number of xenos present had increased rapidly the further down they went; the creatures were concentrated on the lower levels, more and more active the closer one got to the dimly visible shape of the city far below.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

30. - Top - End - #510

Ravia will be spending the time looking over the sensor packages and getting them prepped for deployment once the way is cleared
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet