New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Sea of Stars - IC

The blue crystal rose into the air, darkness spreading through its core. The explorers retreated, getting away from the foul thing's immediate vicinity. All except Felidae. She opened fire, the thumping roar of her ancient Storm Bolter the holy fury of the Emperor himself. Round after round smashed into the crystal, the sound of rending glass filling the air as mass-reactive shells chewed into it. Shards flew, Felidae's armour holding the bolter steady, recoil kicking against the servos in her gauntlet. The xeno construct twisted, shuddered, and shattered into fragments, warp lightning crackling in its core. The pressure wave of the detonation slammed into fallen buildings, knocking pieces of crumbling stonework to the ground.

The removal of the single construct, unfortunately, did nothing to still the rattling of the hundreds of dead xenos that were pulling themselves to their feet across the chamber, flame the colour of bruised lightning flickering in their empty eye sockets. It wasn't possible to get all the way back to the tunnel they'd entered from; there were too many of the things in the way. Instead, Macharius spotted a building that was still mostly standing, and only had a single doorway and a narrow gap in one wall as means of entry. The men took up position inside, with Ravia and her delicate equipment in back. As the shambling horrors rounded the nearest ruins, the Marines opened fire. Lasbolts flew over the heads of the creatures or blew smouldering holes that they completely ignored. The roar of the flamers produced better results; when the stinging chemical fumes cleared, several of the horrible things were smoking piles of blackened bone on the ground. The rest returned fire, the stench of ozone filling the air as bolts of energy in colours that hurt to look at shattered stone and melted ice, carving glowing rents in the ruins that bubbled and screamed.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Hannabel aims into the oncoming horde and snaps off two quick shots with the pistol in her right hand. "Flamers! Focus fire on the doorway and that hole in the wall! Anything that shows its ugly mug there, I want it burnt to a crisp, understand?!"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Full Action: Semi-auto burst (1d100)[1] vs. BS 95 (55+10 Aim +10 Accurate +10 Semi-auto Burst +10 Short Range)
    Second hit if attack roll is 75 or less.
    Hit 1 damage (1d10+5)[13]
    Hit 2 damage (1d10+5)[7]

Righteous Fury if applicable:
    Semi-auto burst (1d100)[67]
    Hit 1 damage (1d10+5)[6]
    Hit 2 damage (1d10+5)[12]

3. - Top - End - #663
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika's bolter is limp in her hand. She had been encouraged by how easily Felidae had dealt with the Yu'vath tech, but then it had seemingly raised the dead, and they showed no sign of stopping even after the crystal was destroyed. It was as if something from her nightmares was coming true. 'We shouldn't be down here. Should have known.' And there was nowhere to run to this time.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

The tide unnerves Macharius and he backs away slowly. Hands trembling, he snaps off a shot with his pistol. Felidae, kill those damn xenos!

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    +10 to Felidae and a shot at -10 (1d100)[83]

5. - Top - End - #665
    Banned

'Kill those damn xenos!' Yea right. Felidae wasn't entirely certain a single stormbolter - no matter how ancient - was going to stop a horde dead xeno's on it's own. And loath as she was to disobey a direct order, she was also the only one not in cover, and not quite yet ready to lay down her life for Macharius.

Moving to join the rest of the crew in relative safety, Felidae grabs and throws a grenade from her bandolier. As the grenade sails off towards the thickest of the enemies, she fires her bolter over her shoulder whilst running for cover.

Show

Ignore the bolter fire - that's just for visual effect.

Quick draw (free action), throw (half action, right?), move (half action).
    BS: (1d100)[58] vs. 65 (sadly no modifiers, except possibly range?)
    I seem to recall all we had were regular frag grenades, but all things considered they may be the best thing for the job.
    Damage: (2d10)[12]

Fingers crossed. Grenades can be the most awesome things ever - or they can roll snake eyes, and be a complete waste.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Titan in the Playground

"Make yourself useful, Murphy." Almagor tossed a bandolier of frag grenades to the other Praetorian, pulling himself up into a better position to fire into the oncoming horde. Murphy missed the catch, snatching it up from the ground and pulling a grenade loose with trembling fingers. He flicked the pin out, lobbing it over the top of the damaged wall. Felidae, on her way to join with the others, did the same. Twin explosions rocked the cavern, blowing holes in the oncoming dead.

More blasts of energy flew across the room, cutting into the Marine ranks. One man took a direct hit, flashing to vapour in a corona of iridescent light. Felidae narrowly avoided another, barely ducking under the shot. She was closer to teh defenders now, and would likely reach them at about the same time as the skeletal horde. As she watched, the flamer-armed marines fired again, holy prometheum washing over the skeletons. A few more fell, blackened, to the ground. At the back, with Ravia, Pytho mumbled frantically to himself. The warp resisted, reluctant to answer his call.

"Going to be on us in a moment!" Almagor shouted from atop the crumbled masonry, over the crack of hellgun fire. He hardly needed to aim, there were still so many...

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

7. - Top - End - #667
    Banned

Eviscerators aren't really great for fighting in enclosed spaces. Deciding that, what the hell, the Emperor wills it how he wills it, Felidae charges the dead fishmen outside, rather than joining the rest inside. Perhaps she can slow their advance, give the men inside a few more seconds to fire their flamers - hopefully around her.

Screaming FOR THE EMPEROR! DEATH SHALL REDEEM YOU, VILE XENOS! She whips the Eviscerator from her back, and starts hacking her way into the enemy, the whirling teeth of her huge chainsword carving arcs of destruction through the ranks of shambling dead. Trusting her armor, and the hopefully limited skill of the long dead, she attacks with sheer and bloody-minded abandon.

Show

WS: (1d100)[52] vs. 73 (base 33, +10 for Macharius' command (hopefully), +20 for all-out attack, +10 for best quality)
    Damage: (1d10+10)[13] or (1d10+10)[18] Pen 5 - it has Rending, Razor Sharp and Unwieldy. Not sure what Razor Sharp actually does, but Unwieldy is irrelevant on All-out Attack.

Potential RF:
    WS: (1d100)[77] vs. 73
    Damage: (1d10+10)[13]

And I will spend a point of fate on a miss, potential reroll: WS: (1d100)[44] vs. 73

All of the above contingent on being able to do that. You can't actually move on an all-out attack, but I get the impression movement isn't really the issue - the dead fish guy will come to Felidae, if Felidae cannot come to the dead fish guys. Otherwise, she still hits on a charge, and retains the possibility to dodge. Destro's call, obviously.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-11-20 at 03:00 AM.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Alright men, they're coming through! Ready for close combat! Flamers, try to stay clear and take any shots you can without burning the rest of us. The Emperor protects! Now fight for your lives!" Drawing her falchion with her left hand, Hannabel lays into the first skeleton that comes close.

Show
    Free action: Draw mono-falchion using Quick Draw talent
    Half action: Aim for +10 to hit
    Half action: Standard attack with falchion (1d100)[94] vs. WS 58 (38+10 BC falchion +10 Aim) or 68 (+10 if Hatred applies)

Damage (1d5+7 R, Pen 2) (1d5+7)[8]
    1d2 for possible Righteous Fury if dice roll is 5, with 2=RF (1d2)[1]

Righteous Fury if applicable
    Standard attack with falchion (1d100)[82]
    Damage (1d5+7 R, Pen 2) (1d5+7)[10]
    1d2 for possible Righteous Fury if dice roll is 5, with 2=RF (1d2)[2]

Defences if necessary
    Force Field (1d100)[82] vs. Protection Rating 45
    Overload (1d100)[95] on 01-05
    Dodge (1d100)[58] vs. Ag 48

...WOW! That's a shed load of whiffs in a row! If she gets hit, Hannabel will spend a Fate Point to re-roll her Dodge.
    Last edited by rax; 2018-11-20 at 01:49 PM.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika is too fixated on the horde of the undead and it's implications to think clearly let alone fight. How was this even possible and would any of the crew that died here end up raised in the same way.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius considers his shaking hands and thinks better of the pistol. He pulls out his second grenade. Emperor, protect us. He pulls the pin and hurls the grenade over Felidae into the mob, aiming high to get farther back. Felidae, keep the pressure on them! Do not falter men! The Emperor protects!

Show
    Throw a grenade 10m back and boost Felidae. (1d100)[6] vs 26.

If it misses, (1d10)[2] for direction and (1d5)[4] for distance

11. - Top - End - #671
    Firbolg in the Playground

++Its occasions like these that one finds the most interesting things to study and cant do anything but try and survive it++

Spoiler
    Show

Semi Auto Hellgun TN 48 (d100)[89]

Damage (1d10+7)[10] Pen 7
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

12. - Top - End - #672
    Titan in the Playground

Macharius' words rallied the Marines, many of whom lowered bayonets and prepared to recieve the charge. Their flamers roared a third time, gouts of Promethum washing back and forth across the skeletal horrors. Their tanks hissed empty after a few seconds, but the torrent of fire had reduced the horde by more than half. Only a few remained, wordlessly scrambling forwards, their bony claws wreathed in pale flame. A pair of shots from Almagor's hellgun pitched two to the ground, and then Felidae charged in, an avatar of holy fury. The eviscerator's screaming blade carved through bone, chewing apart any of the things that came near her. None could get close enough to land a hit.

The marines were not so fortunate. The xenos dead laid into them like things possessed, shredding one and landing a raking blow across Murphy's chest that scored deep rents into his armour. Behind him, Ravia got to her feet, taking potshots with her hellgun. Unfortunately, her fire was not as accurate as Almagor's.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2018-11-23 at 01:12 AM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Cursing as the remaining dead press in, Hannabel tries again to chop down a xenos skeleton.

Show
    Half action: Aim for +10 to hit
    Half action: Standard attack with falchion (1d100)[16] vs. WS 58 (38+10 BC falchion +10 Aim)

Damage (1d5+7 R, Pen 2) (1d5+7)[10]
    1d2 for possible Righteous Fury if dice roll is 5, with 2=RF (1d2)[2]

Righteous Fury if applicable
    Standard attack with falchion (1d100)[22]
    Damage (1d5+7 R, Pen 2) (1d5+7)[8]
    1d2 for possible Righteous Fury if dice roll is 5, with 2=RF (1d2)[1]

Defences if necessary
    Force Field (1d100)[83] vs. Protection Rating 45
    Overload (1d100)[10] on 01-05
    Dodge (1d100)[63] vs. Ag 48

14. - Top - End - #674
    Banned

Felidae - surrounded by enemies but holding her own - snarls in unrelenting fury as the waves of enemies wash over her. Sheer momentum and the size of her blade is all that keeps her above the fray as she struggles forward, deeper still into the melee.

IMPERATOR DOMINATUS! XENOS EXTERMINATUS! REDEMPTIO ULTIMATUS!

For those who manage to pick out Felidae's voice above the overall clamor of battle, despite the odds of being literally swarmed by enemies, there is a recognizable tone of sheer zealous joy.

Show

WS: (1d100)[45] vs. 73 (33 +10 for Macharious (provided he gives the command), +20 for all-out attack, +10 for best quality)
    Damage: (1d10+10)[12] or (1d10+10)[15] pen 5, Tearing, Razor Sharp and Unwieldy.

I gather that in RT, melee can also get multiple hits? If so, more damage:
    Damage: (1d10+10)[12] or (1d10+10)[19] pen 5
    Damage: (1d10+10)[20] or (1d10+10)[19] pen 5

Should RF be a thing:
    Confirm: WS: (1d100)[44] vs. 73
    Even more damage:
    Damage: (1d10+3)[10]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[10]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[6]

That's Razor Sharp, yes? +3 damage on RF?

If all of the above is correct, then that's that. I'll save the Fate point, since I'm guessing there's still worse to come.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ettin in the Playground

Finally snapping out of it but still shaking, Anika will try to pick off one of the zombies on the edge of the horde.

Spoiler
    Show

Half Action - Aim
    Half Action - Single shot with bolter

vs. BS 36 (-10 for Shock) (+10 for aim) (+10 short range) (Edit - maybe includes -20 for firing into melee)
    (1d100)[28]

Damage
    (1d10+5)[11] or (1d10+5)[6] for Tearing

If any RF
    (1d100)[25]
    (1d10)[1]

16. - Top - End - #676
    Titan in the Playground

Anika's bolter shot passed through one of the things and hit a second before the shell exploded, blowing both to pieces. Hannabel hacked furiously with her Flachion - the things were horribly tough, but perserverence was paying off. She reduced one to a pile of chips of bone and turned to attack the rest. There were noticeable fewer now, the flamers having done their job well before running out of fuel. The flamer armed marines were working furiously to reload their weapons, while their comrades held off the enemy with the bayonets affixed to their lasguns. Felidae was at the back of the horde, carving through them in zealous glee. The eviscerator roared, cutting down another abomination with every swing of its oversized chainblade.

"For Absalom!" Felidae heard a thump next to her, as Almagor activated his power sword and leapt down from atop the ruined building. He crushed one of the things with his landing, crackling sword thrust through its skull, and joined Felidae in cutting the last few down. When the dust and mist cleared, they were once again alone in the chamber.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

17. - Top - End - #677
    Banned

Oh, Almagor - hi! Glad you could join me, I saved the last xeno for you. Felidae rests the tip of her huge chainsword on the ground, then leans nonchalantly on the sword.

So what now - do we go poke at the remains of that crystal?

18. - Top - End - #678
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika is leaning on the wall of the cavern still watching the dead xenos. The crystal was destroyed but they were still moving around anyway. In what sense were they 'dead' now. Would any of the less shredded bodies simply get up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    So what now - do we go poke at the remains of that crystal?
    'Or we seal this place up again and leave it here. Pytho, is it inactive now?'

19. - Top - End - #679
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    'Or we seal this place up again and leave it here. Pytho, is it inactive now?'
    I think we need to pass through here to place the last ... wat's-it, thing. Sensor package?

20. - Top - End - #680
    Firbolg in the Playground

++Affirmative++
    ++As much as i want to take a sample of that i shall err on the side of caution and let it be++
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"That's the last of 'em! Marines! Tally casualties and sound off by squad! Father Ornstein, Astropath Pythonissam - is the prisoner still secure?" Hannabel calls out. Flipping up her visor, she turns to Anika, a beaming smile on her face. "Well, yer doctorship, that was bracing wouldn't you say? And I was worried things were going to get boring!"

22. - Top - End - #682
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius walks the line, clapping his soldiers on the shoulders and congratulating themSplendid, splendid! Well done, men! You held the line like true men of Absalom. I'll be considering you for induction into the Praetorian Guard after this. Felidae, superlative combat performance as always. Glad to see millennia in cold storage hasn't harmed you, eh? Almagor, my good man, you have more than proved your worth on this mission. Expect a nice pay raise when we get back. And if the Guard expands, well, I suppose it would need a battle-tested captain...

He turns back to the room with a more somber look. Pythonissam, is there any more warp taint? While any may would be glad to risk his life for the Emperor, I'd not like to risk the souls of my crew.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Banned

Speaking of which - maybe we should agree at some point what my rank and duties are ... and what my services are worth to House Absalom. Eh?

Felidae winks at Macharius - mostly because she feels, quite possibly no one else ever has.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika has fished a packet of lho sticks out of her coat pocket. She's still watching the xenos bodies and dwelling on the implications.

'You know Hannabel, I really must ask you how you're able to stay so calm in these situations?'

Thinking aloud, 'I've heard stories of the dead sometimes rising in the Fenksworld underhives. I'd had no reason to credit them before. Maybe it's something like that that's responsible.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    There's a zombie analogue in one of the DH books. I don't think it's connected to the Yu'vath, but Anika doesn't know that.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ettin in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Sea of Stars - IC

Speaking of which - maybe we should agree at some point what my rank and duties are ... and what my services are worth to House Absalom. Eh?
    Anika will answer that, out of some vague sense that it's part of her job.

'Well what do you want? As long as it's not your own moon or something equally expensive we can probably accommodate you.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Meant to reply to Felidae there as well.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Banned

What do I want? Um, I .. don't know? What's needed, that I can do? I can't pilot a ship, or decipher ancient xenos script, I just know tactics and fighting.

Who trains the Praetorians?

27. - Top - End - #687
    Titan in the Playground

"It seems quite dead," Pytho replied. The Astropath had walked over to the shattered crystal to examine it. Rather than remaining bright blue, the shards had faded to the same colour as those of the crashed starship. The heat was fading as well, cooling mist sinking towards the ground from above. With the dead xenos destroyed, the cavern was once again silent. The prisoner had even stopped gibbering, staring quietly around with its huge bulbous eyes.

Almagor was watching Ravia set up the sensor package when Macharius approached. "Thank you, sir. I have some ideas for drills I'd like to implement, based on this expedition."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Oh, that's easy," Hannabel laughs. "People have been trying to crack me open one way or another me whole life, an' I just decided early on I weren't gonna give 'em the satisfaction, see? Besides, the preachers all say the Emperor's got my back, right? So what is there really to be scared of in the end?"

29. - Top - End - #689
    Ettin in the Playground

Who trains the Praetorians?
    Anika will look at Macharius for that one. 'I'm not actually sure.' Almagor seemed to do alright without any extra help. 'As for rank you must have had one before you went to sleep. You're probably due a promotion on seniority grounds alone.'

To Hannabel, 'I can respect that.' Although she now wonders what kind of life the younger woman had had to feel that way about walking corpses.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Titan in the Playground

"Self directed sparring and drills, mostly," Murphy said, in response to the question about training. "We don't have a formal training structure. Though maybe we should, put you and Almagor in charge." The Praetorian cracked a smile. "By the Emperor, what I could charge for admission on a sparring match between you two..."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games: