Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Soldiers and Scumbags IC

You have gotten off the Transport that took you to Virbius. Before you is a sprawling, ramshackle collection of tents and vehicles, all sunk slightly into the muddy grass. The outpost sentries clutch their lasguns tightly, briefly looking you over and then staring back out into the open plains of Virbius intently. All around you, guardsmen are cleaning their weapons and inspecting their vehicles, though a few pause for a moment to give you a distrustful glance. In the distance, you can hear a confessor evenly chanting a catechism, praying to the Emperor for an ignoble and horrific death to the enemies of Mankind. The Guardsman look upon your Abhumans companions with barely disguised hatred.
    A massive tent is in the middle of the Camp. Your orders are to report there for further instructions.

Spoiler
    Show
    You can take a few actions like Information Gathering or you can head straight to the Command tent to await your orders. Also please repost sheets
    Last edited by Xenopax; 2018-02-26 at 06:27 AM.
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and CHAINFISTS FOR HANDS. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timble View Post
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    My 40k Discord Server: Join Today!
    Magic the Gathering (In the Playground)
    Games that I am in

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Soldiers and Scumbags IC

"Reportin' somewhere for orders? Now that's plain fancy, innit? Thought they were gonna get us all bunched up, point somewhere an' scream 'charge'. Guess we're all in for a lucky day, lads." Drazz commented in what sounded like an odd mix of sarcasm and actual good mood as he swaggered alongside the group, the bulky gas mask-inhaler combination hanging lazily off one side of his face and giving him the chance to smell some fresh air.

And perfectly breathable air felt weird after so much time living in the underhives, then choking up Savlar's fumes, then having to deal with a ship's badly-recycled atmosphere. Drazz had even kept his gas mask most of time even after planetfall just because he was overwhelmed by all that freshness at first, but he was keeping it off for a few minutes at a time now. He also found grass weird, it was pretty vibrant and lively compared to the bunch of fungi and mold he was used to seeing. Hell, even seeing skies that weren't horribly polluted was also weird.

"Ya know, this planet's too fancy-lookin'." he added, idly kicking at the grass with a dirty boot and causing specks of mud to fly away and onto the side of a formerly-clean tent. "Betcha it's prelude to suicide missions."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Y'can't call every mission a suicide mission if you keep coming back from it, Drazz" come the grinning tones of Zya, swaggering beside the group with the Red Light Special swinging from her hip. "'sides, I'm sure anyone with the Craplord is gonna just plow through the bad guys" she jokes, laughing. "Anyone get told what the bogies are on this backyard?"
    Last edited by Genth; 2018-02-26 at 02:55 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

”Pretty sure it’s Orks. Woulda sworn I smelled Orks as soon as we touched down. Ain’t that right, Squiggs?”

Aces cockily strolls a few feet back from Zya, heavy bolter lazily propped against his shoulder and pointing to the heavens. His mask is deep green, with a stylized toothy grin painted across the lower half. As he walks past the non-Savlar Imperial Guardsmen, he meets their dirty looks with his own, attempting staredowns from behind plasteel lenses.

”That’s cause you think everything smells like Orks. It’s probably just the new coat of paint on your mask.”

Leroy rolls his eyes at Aces’ back—his expression of exasperation hidden by his own dull reddish-brown mask.

Aces pauses and looks down at Squiggs for a second.

”You’re saying the Kernel’s been sabotaging our paints? Damn...that’s some...good thinkin’. I like where your head is at, Squiggs—never can be too careful.”

Aces resumes his stride, shaking his head at the implications.

”Next coating, I’m makin’ my own paint.”
    Last edited by Revanus; 2018-02-26 at 03:16 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"I hope it ain't orks. It ain't orks, izzit?" Scrapper asked, barely hiding the fear in his voice as he followed behind Drazz, his attitude a far cry from the more experienced penal legionnaire's confident swagger. Scrapper had never been very courageous, but he was shorter and thinner than Drazz and that came in handy when it was time for looting difficult places. "Scrap, jus' shove a dirty sock in it." the squad's techie retorted, shutting up his cowardly comrade.

"And hey, Craplord's a piece o' crap no matter how much I tinker. Here's hopin' we get some stuff next time." Drazz replied to Zya before pushing his gas mask back in place to better shoot some mean looks back at the bastards looking their way with a mix of disgust and fear. "Aces, I jus' know there'll be Frenzy in the paint."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Uya's heavy footsteps squished loudly in the muddy ground, he followed behind his fellow chem-dogs, relieved to be off the transport. He lifted a heavily scarred and hairy arm, sniffing his armpit, "Uya not smell like ork." Shea, Uya's unofficial keeper and friend walked alongside him, periodically having to pull on his kit to keep him from getting distracted and wandering off. "Aye, ye smell better than an ork, love. Now, don't ye worry, Scrap, Uya here loves stomping on the greenskins, dontcha big boy? He'll keep their attention off you, sugar."

Uya nodded, scratching his scar covered forearm, "Yarp. Smash da big 'uns, smash 'em good. Uya protectin' da little 'uns. I not stinks, dem orks stink. Uya hungry."

"What else is new, love?"

"Dis place new"

She sighs and smiles at her ogryn comrade, "Right, love."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Louie slaps the transport driver's behind and rolls out, ducking her well-deserved slap. He strides along beside Aces, drinking in the fresh air and beaming.

You know, if there's one thing I love about you fellas it's your sunny dispositions and general mental stability.

The ratling glances around the camp, sizing up marks of all kinds. Well, doesn't everyone look so happy to see us. If this welcome got any warmer I might just cry. That's all right, I like 'em angry. He winks lasciviously at one of the more hostile-looking nearby guardswoman.

I don't know what you're complaining about, Drazz. Fresh air, cute girls, and good pals. Just like the Munitorium recruiting poster said it would be!Now, Mouse, why don't we amble around and have a look-see. Maybe some of our dear friends have left equipment for us. And maybe some new friends are low on the little things that make life more bearable.
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2018-02-26 at 08:56 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Hold on, didn't the guy say Virbius?" Zya asks the group, pondering. "Thats a Sevvies ball isn't it?" she adds, looking around as they continue towards the tent. "Lorgar's Arse, this tent is a walk." she comments.
    Last edited by Genth; 2018-02-26 at 10:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

MindFlayer

Louie reappears in the middle the group. The others realize they didn't even know the little man was gone.

Good news, ladies and gents! Uncle Lou got you all the scoop on what's goin on down here. Apparently there's Dominate boys, Eldar, and Orks. So if you ever get bored of heretics,
    there's two flavors of Xenos! Aces, take your finger off the trigger before an accident happens, I have great news for you. The orks have kommandos! And camouflaged Killer Kans, apparently. Now that I would like to see. Preferably several clicks away and through a scope, but still. Aces, please, finger off the trigger, they're not in the camp.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Zya looks down towards Louie for a moment, then laughs. "You're an arse, Louie.". As the group reach the tent, Zya shifts her hellgun to a more 'parade' position, and salutes as soon as she enters, rather smartly for a Chem-Dog
    Last edited by Genth; 2018-02-26 at 11:43 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Aces shakes his head.

"Here's what I know. The munitorium posters I saw didn' say nothin' 'bout Orks. If they had, I'd a done a better job of not getting caught fencin' stimms in the hab-blocks. They also didn't say nothin' bout ghosts."

Leroy shrugs.

"What now, Aces?"

Aces glances over his shoulder.

"You heard me. I played a few rounds of cards with some boots who were rotating off for R&R yesterday. They said this place is haunted. Grunts go to sleep and disappear. Sometimes, all that's left of 'em in the morning is their bloody boots, or a head, or a middle.

Now to me, that sounds dumb. Ghosts? Bah! I don't believe in ghosts. But Orks? You ever meet Kernel Konrad, that fracker is the stuff of nightmares. Melts into the shadows, always one step ahead and behind, nasty sense 'o humor...

I listened to their stories, took their chips, but didn't have the heart to tell them...It's probably Orks."

------
    As Louie fills the group in, Aces tenses before shrugging in resignation.

"Told ya it's Orks. Ork Kommandoes---they're the worst kinda Ork. I got no doubt ol' Konnie followed us here. Squiggs here knows what's what. I could smell that fracker in the paint. I probably got Killah Kan scent all over my frackin' mask..."

Leroy doesn't say anything for once.
    Last edited by Revanus; 2018-02-26 at 11:53 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

You all walk into the Tent and salute the Colonel.
    “The Colonel returns your salute with a snap. “You may be seated,” he bellows, “I am Colonel Garn of the 37th Maccabian Janissaries, and for the duration of this mission I’ll be your commanding officer.” Colonel Garn retrieves a pointer from the desk, and turns to face the large map on his wall. “The Battle for Virbius has not been going well.” You notice on the map dozens of small, black Xs. “The Severan Dominate forces on this planet have been waging a particularly brutal guerrilla campaign against us, but we think we may have found the man responsible. Imperial intelligence believes that they have located General Harvax Scarus somewhere in this mountain range.” The Colonel takes his pointer and swats the map with a resounding crack. “In the morning, the 37th will be launching a major offensive against the General and his forces. Meanwhile, your orders are to find the General and capture or kill him. You will be well behind enemy lines and are required to maintain vox silence for the duration of your mission. Yours will be the third squad we have sent after the General, and you are expected to set off at dawn. You may now leave. Extra Gear has been allotted for you in the armory so I suggest you head there first,”

Spoiler
    Show

Extra Gear: One Signal Jammer, One Missile Launcher, Two Frag Missiles, Two Krak Missiles and Field Rations for One Month.
    I need a +10 awareness test from everyone.
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    Games that I am in

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Zya blinks for a second at the General's words. Then, without a reply, she salutes, nods, and walks right back outside. "Suicide mission it is, Drazz. For your pasty arse anyway" she says, laughing as the others walk out. Switching to the low-gothic gutter speak of their home for a moment, she observes "Throne, these Jannisaries are right cool on us. What's the bet their quartermaster's gonna tell us to frak ourselves?", starting the walk towards the requisition tent.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Aces mirrors Zya’s actions, his mask doing a good job of masking his internal struggle to keep a straight face when confronted with such obviously bad intel.

Once they’re well out of earshot, Aces shrugs.

”That didn’t sound right. ‘General Scare-Us?’ Really? Ol’ Konrad might’ve foooled the Colonel, but I know a frackin’ Ork trap when I smell one. An’ I’m a gunna proceed according-like.”

Leroy shakes his head.

”He said it was the Severans, Aces. Point blank.”

Aces snorts rudely from behind his gas mask.

So? If we prepare for Orks, and its Orks, then we’re prepared. If it’s not Orks, then we’re over-prepared. Where’s the problem?”

15. - Top - End - #15

MindFlayer

Louie pops back in. Again, everyone would swear he'd been there the whole time. His normal grin is twice as wide.

Gueeeesss what IIII found? Hey,
    Drazz, you any good with fixin things?

He leads the team to a decommissioned Chimera APC in the back of the camp. He jumps up until the roof.

Officially destroyed in action and written off by the munitorium. All ours, if dear darling Drazzy can get her running again.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Drazz doesn't seem surprised at the revelation, mostly because he'd been eyeing the same thing already. "Ye, ye. Seen it. Not sure what needs fixin', tho'." The "Tek" takes a furtive look around to make sure no one's looking and quickly produces a combi-tool from his coat before sliding under the Chimera to peek and poke at the damage it seems to have suffered.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Uya stepped around the chimera, his stereotypical disdain for cramped and dark spaces evident. He opened his mouth as if to say something, but stopped, defeat spread across his face. Shea elbowed Uya's forearm, it did not budge. "I know, I know. But it always ends up ok, doesn't it?" Uya shrugged and mumbled under his breath, kicking mud at the chimera.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Drazz spent a few good minutes checking the IFV's hull, mentally noting all the areas where the armoring was gone and searching for the problems an abandoned armored vehicle would surely have.

"So...?" Scrap asked, breaking the mostly-silent atmosphere. "Ye, jus' our luck. No engine, lackin' armorin', woulda growl really loud even with the lights back on." Drazz replied after rolling out and away from the Chimera.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Well, a broken Chimeras about as useful as a grox librarian." Zya drawns, tapping her hip with a look of boredom. "Lets go to reqs and see what theyll deign to give us." she turns, and starts off again towards the supply tents

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Aces stairs at the junk heap.

”What’s the point of a truck without an engine?”

Leroy punches Aces in the shoulder.

”Who cares? It’s gotta be worth something.”

Aces nods slowly and absentmindedly rubs his exposed shoulder.

”Right. Biz is biz. Think we can pawn it for some real flak armor? These cutoffs look cool ‘n all, but they ain’t gunna stop nothin’.”
    Last edited by Revanus; 2018-02-28 at 08:09 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Drazz put some thought into the situation. An abandoned Chimera with a missing engine... "Either they've the stupidest techies tis side of the Sector or there ain't no engines 'round to put in it." In order to figure out which was it, the penal legionnaire went straight towards the motor pool area to see if there were any unattended chimera powerplants he could nick. Or maybe two smaller ones for a Salamander, or even one for a Leman Russ; he wasn't too picky and could try his hand at jury-rigging them into the battered Chimera chassis.

22. - Top - End - #22

MindFlayer

Louie goes off to find the Maccabeans' attached ratlings. After the usual flowery compliments, exchange of tasty foods from each others' homeworlds, and outrageously exaggerated stories of each party's daring deeds, he gets down to business.

Well, lads, it appears there's been a bit of a mistake. See, the Munitorium forgot to issue me my standard set of guard flak armor. On the other hand, they gave me too many combat drugs! I'd love to resolve the problem, but I'm new here and all. Is there anyone who could fix things for me? Make sure I get my armor and who could take the drugs to their rightful place?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Drazz did what he was used to and sneaked into the motor pool to take a quick look, figuring anyone inside would be understandably against having any of the Chem-Dogs anywhere near usable and expensive gear. His intention to steal an engine was a perfect example of why they had that attitude towards the Dogs. Unfortunately...

"Place looks like a scrapyard." the techie complained as he rejoined the group, having safely slipped in and out. "Yea, no luck." Scrapper agreed, even more bummed out than his older companion was. The cowardly penal trooper wanted some nice slabs of armor to hide behind more than all the other people in the squad.

"If we want somethin' good 'tween our meat and their guns, ya're all on scrap duty. I'll give the pointers, an' maybe we'll get this done. A broken engine's fine, we can jus' nick the bits and bobs to fix it." Drazz said.

24. - Top - End - #24

MindFlayer

Louie reappears in the group. His armor looks suspiciously more complete than it used to, although the camo cloak covers most of it.

Hiya, lads. I'll take a little walk with ya Drazzy, see if we see anything interesting-like.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Stealth: (1d100)[43] vs 77
    If that succeeds, Awareness (1d100)[6] vs 72 with Drazz's help

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

When Drazz and Louie return to the group, it's to see a rather annoyed looking Zya, arms crossed and lips pulled back into the hint of a snarl. "No luck with the fraking Munitorium. ********s wouldn't even give us the gear the boss told us we were getting. Said they were tired of losing it on stupid missions." she explains, shaking her head and pushing herself off the tent-pole and comes over to the pair. "You got any good news?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Those who went to Requisition
    Show

Those in charge of requisitions refused to grant such important equipment to a company of your size. The looks of distaste are evident as they tell you to leave.

Spoiler: Engine
    Show

With Louie's keen ratling eyes and Drazz's technical expertise, they manage to find a Engine that is compatible with the Chimera. They also find enough scrap to repair the walls.

Drazz begins work on the chimera and by nightfall it is ready to be taken out for a drive. While it won't be winning any beauty contests, its functional.

As night begins to fall, the Maccabians change sentries and begin setting up campfires. Shortly before dusk a pair of combatbike riding natives arrive at camp and report to Colonel Garn’s tent for about half an hour. When the two tribesmen come out, a few of the Janissaries speak with them and share with them their rations. Other Maccabians glare at the tribesmen and speak to each other in hushed and angry tones, complaining softly about the lack of devotion of the “dirty ferals.”

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

If you have anything else you want to do, get it done. If not just tell me and I'll skip to the next day.

Chimera Stats:
    Type: Tracked Vehicle
    Tactical Speed: 15 m
    Cruising Speed: 70 kph
    Manoeuvrability: +0
    Structural Integrity: 35
    Size: Massive
    Armour: Front 30, Side 22, Rear 16
    Vehicle Traits: Amphibious, Enclosed, Rugged, Tracked Vehicle
    Crew: 1 Commander (Turret), 1 Driver, 1 Gunner (Hull Weapon)
    Carrying Capacity: 12 Imperial Guardsmen plus wargear

You guys have a Autocannon and a heavy flamer as your weapons.
    Games that I am in

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Drazz had recruited Uya's assistance to help carry the heavy engine and pieces of metal, making things easier on everyone. When Zya found the ragtag group, Scrapper seemed quite pretty happy and Drazz had his well-worn combi-tool out. "Heheh." "Oh girl, do we." The techie spent several hours working on the IFV, and though he'd never worked on anything as complex as putting a Chimera's engine in place, he did better than expected. The armor repairs were really easy compared to the engine work, as it was a fairly straightforward welding work where he only had to take care to pick the most suitable pieces and put as much care into each weld as possible.

"Hahah, not as suicidal now, eh?" Needless to say, Drazz's swagger had increased by at least one quarter when he finally finished the repairs, though he didn't show if off after deciding some well-deserved rest was in order. He did notice the arrival of the natives. He also stared long and hard at the combat bikes, silently wondering whether they really needed one for each and, in a totally unrelated thought, trying to figure out a good place in the camp to hide a stolen motorbike in. "Figger one o' us can talk up the 'dirty natives'?"
    Last edited by Caellath; 2018-03-05 at 03:14 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Could use a guide." Zya says, eyeing the chimera suspiciously. "I can navigate with the map the Boss showed us, but a native'd be more useful. Whadaya reckon, Fingers?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

With no one volunteering to do it themselves, Drazz groaned and slapped Scrapper's arm before walking towards the group with the natives, comrade in tow. The techie was lacking the usual swagger, trying to listen in on their chat and avoiding much attention.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Uya and Shea followed suit without much comment. Shea kept Uya on track and focused, more or less, on the tasks at hand. Carrying the engine and scrap didn't bother Uya one bit, he was good at picking stuff up and putting it down, and happy to help. Shea spread on some positive reinforcement every time Uya did something without destroying something else.