Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment Thread IV: Live Free or Hit Die Hard

Mud Golem

Mud golems consist of giant piles of mud, rocks, branches, animal skulls, at at least one bird, judging from this image. They are absolutely awful.

15 construct HD, poor stats, bad features (Grease and Engulf were outclassed a while ago) and generally no desirable traits. -0 LA for sure.
    Have you had enough of unreasonably high LA's and unplayable monsters in 3.5? Then check out the LA-assignment thread! Don't hesitate to give feedback!

Extended signature!

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Titan in the Playground

I suspect the bird is intended to illustrate the Engulf ability, given that they spend words describing how many Tiny critters can be Engulfed at once.

The breath weapon is interesting. Not as a breath weapon, because it's pathetic in its intended role, but rather as an hour-long duration grease spell that can be spammed.

Not interesting enough to justify 15 Construct RHD, of course.

Verdict: LA -0.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mud Golem: 15 Construct RHD, net +2 abilities after you fix Intelligence, 20 ft land speed at Large, the same pack of problems with cut rate Golem Magic Immunity-complicated with a hideous debuff available via a 5th level spell. Natural AC is low for its RHD, and the Breath Weapon is tiny and niche past ECL 9. About the only good things it has are its (slow) swim speed, which you can easily get elsewhere, and Engulf, which is reliant on its terrible Grapple modifier for its ECL.

Long story made less long: LA -0 and then some. There is nothing here to salvage, and the couple of things you would want can be gotten in some form elsewhere for a fraction of the ECL investment. Long-term Grease is interesting, but rather niche and a clever player can replicate them through other methods.
    Last edited by ViperMagnum357; 2018-08-08 at 02:07 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mo like mud go-lame, amirite? Eh? Eh?

Yeah, I got nothing. -0. Next please?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently cooking for round 27. Everyone is welcome!

My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

Queer pride isn't limited to one month!

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

What if you tried to make a clay or mud golem and ended up with the wrong type of sticky dirt? You failed your geology roll and ended up with dirt that's too alluvial. Your golem attempt fails.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    This thread, Questions that can't be answered... Answered by RAW by No brains, is Epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    That is so stupid it's hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    ...I've clearly been playing D&D for too long, because that made a demented kind of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by that_one_kobold View Post
    And this is why I love D&D

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah. No. LA -0.

Next.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    The only thing hit dice bloat really accomplishes is make them more resistant to hit die-based effects like sleep and dictum.
    Designer 1: "We should tie a bunch of effects to hit dice. Makes sense, right? Hit dice are monster levels, and level is an indication of power."
    Designer 2: "Look at all these hit-die-based effects. I know! I can make these HD less powerful individually and just give monsters more of them."

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    [CENTER]Glaistig
    I prefer the version which can take the souls and class abilities of dead characters. This one might be useful in a social campaign next to a big enough body of water. You can probably make that work if your campaign setting is set around a single river, like ancient Egypt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    In fact, even if your campaign is mostly social, nobody will want to deal with you for fear of having their mind magically influenced.
    You just have to make sure nobody notices that you're a supernatural mind-controlling monster. Hm...how do bards disguise their suggestion spells?

What is really the difference between a hole in the ground and a portable hole?
    Did you take the pond muck at the bottom, too? If so, the only practical difference is how much sunlight it gets. There are plenty of impractical differences, though, and that might be enough.

[Forestkith] have a very unique and interesting ability in Tree Shape. Said ability allows the goblin to turn into a plant for 12 hours once per day.
    Random aside: I wonder if a dryad could be tied to something that turns into a tree. I mean, mechanically, it probably doesn't work, but it's a neat idea.

Quote Originally Posted by javcs View Post
    After all, it's not like the party's going to start setting up camp after sunset. No, they're going set up camp some hours before, and when the sun sets, bam, the forestkith automatically drop Tree Shape in the middle of the party eating dinner/on downtime.
    "Alright, Brek, are you ready to go hunting? Ooh, someone's making stew nearby! We'd better watch out, though, I hear there are adventurers about..."
    "Yeah, we should probably run."

The golem's abilities are a continuous field of permanent Crushing Despair: fail one save against it, and you're stuck with penalties to basically all rolls until you get a Good Hope spell cast on you. This ability, which can't be turned off or used selectively, makes me highly recommend allies who're deaf, immune to mind-affecting effects, compulsions, or negative emotions. Anyone else is going to get involuntarily debuffed quite quickly.
    Is there anything that can cast good hope at will? That seems like a good companion for an intelligent gloom golem, both mechanically (let's take off that debuff) and thematically (Eeyore going through a goth phase and a sparkling ray of sunshine).

A barbarian is basically just crappy dragon RHD with rage tacked on.
    I can't tell if I should be insulted by that...
    I'm the GWG from Bay12 and a bunch of other places.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Negative LA Assignment Thread
    The Tale of Demman, Second King of Ireland, a CKII AAR, won a WritAAR of the Week award. Winner of Villainous Competition 8
    Fanfic

8. - Top - End - #1118

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    I can't tell if I should be insulted by that...
    I didn't mean to imply that dragon RHD are crappy, but rather that the barbarian HD is similar to dragon HD (d12, full BAB, good fort) except worse (2 less skill points per level, no immunities, poor reflex and will).
    Last edited by OgresAreCute; 2018-08-08 at 05:28 PM.
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

9. - Top - End - #1119

MindFlayer

Firm -0. Doesn't really compete as a mindless T4 beatstick, and that's with issues fixed.

Blind and grease are interesting, but are very low level spells at 15th level. Sadly Con based, so will never have great DC's.

Depending on how Int - is fixed, he might have magic immunity and a reasonably easy way to have full heals at range. Combined that's nice for survival. Doesn't make up for horrible offense and worse utility, but its definitely something.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

nothing brings this beauty back from a hard -0....

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Titan in the Playground

Prismatic Golem

An incorporeal golem? That's new. Pity it has 20 RHD, though.

The prismatic golem relies on so-called 'prismatic touches' to attack, which are... not good. In 75% of the cases, it'll end up dealing 5d6 damage, with occasional Insanity (one of the worst effects as far as save-or-loses go) or 10d6 damage instead. With only two of these touches a turn, the golem's full attack damage will probably be far beneath what the party rogue could output with one attack.

Prismatic Body blinds creatures with, hold on, less than 8 RHD, making it all but useless in a level 20 party. The second feature punishes monsters for touching you, but what little offensive pressure you can put out won't really incentive them to go do that. Finally, it lights up your surroundings, which is probably the smallest issue to worry about at this level.

Magic Immunity is nothing surprising: prismatic spells heal the golem and are also ended by it, other magic is ineffective.

All things considered, this is a very interesting golem that ultimately just sucks. -0 LA.
    Have you had enough of unreasonably high LA's and unplayable monsters in 3.5? Then check out the LA-assignment thread! Don't hesitate to give feedback!

Extended signature!

12. - Top - End - #1122

Concur, -0.

As a monster (or minion), with some advancement, it could possibly be used to counter an Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil ... but I'm pretty sure there are easier and better ways to do that. It'd be insanely situational, though, probably past the point of being useful.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Titan in the Playground

Back in 1e, prismatic effects were a big deal, in part because the game system writers tended to retire their characters around "name level" (which was level 9-11 or so). That meant blinding creatures of 8HD or lower included all but the highest-level non-retired PCs.

This expectation of maximum power didn't survive 1e -- many other groups didn't play like the writers did -- let alone survive into 3.x

Prismatic effects in 3e really needed an update from their 1e power baseline.

History lesson aside, this thing has no particular value.

Verdict: LA -0

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Troll in the Playground

The flavor text for the prismatic touches do say something along the lines of the randomness of the touches is because Prismatic Golems don't have the Int to choose an appropriate one - implying that an intelligent Prismatic Golem could choose which color to use. Also, I don't think there are many ways of damaging one aside from ghost touch weapons(fairly common, especially at this level), Orb of Force(and these guys have really high touch AC), Amethyst Burst(which kinda has sucky damage), and Transdimensional Spell/Power with SR: No spells or powers.

Of course, 10d6 force damage - or even 20d6 disintegrating damage isn't nearly enough at, oh, ECL 20.

LA -0, but I do not want to fight one without at least one of the above methods(and I really hope nobody relies on Wraithstrike too much...).
    Cool elan (no not that kind) Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Archive Of Our Own FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Extended signature here.

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Firbolg in the Playground

Its got 20 RHD. Were done here.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently cooking for round 27. Everyone is welcome!

My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

Queer pride isn't limited to one month!

16. - Top - End - #1126

One of the worst examples of RHD inflation we have seen for Constructs-this has the resilience of a CR 18-20 level creature with the attack routine of a CR 7-8 creature, and combining the complications of an unintelligent Construct war machine with an incorporeal creature that lacks any real features besides set, low grade elemental damage. Also, this thing is rather difficult to deal with as a monster encounter, but that offers little for a PC with 20 RHD and no way to redirect opponents or control the battlefield.

LA -0, and more Golems to come. Yaaay.
    Last edited by ViperMagnum357; 2018-08-13 at 02:01 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1127

MindFlayer

LA: -0, by a long ways too.

I agree with the OP it is interesting and has flavor I like, but woefully underpowered. 2X5d6 full attack, which can be crippled by even a little energy resistance, and I don't see where to go with it.

Honestly think its underpowered as a CR 18 opponent. Tiny chance of insanity with fairly easy save, or just simply not enough damage. May take a bit to figure out how to do a lot of damage to a magic-immune incorporeal creature, but shouldn't feel threatened or use precious resources to overcome. Even without ghost touch weapons, a mediocre T4 beatstick will eventually wear it down. Or better if there's an archer with the force bow or bow made out of the ghost touch material.

18. - Top - End - #1128

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant12 View Post
    LA: -0, by a long ways too.

I agree with the OP it is interesting and has flavor I like, but woefully underpowered. 2X5d6 full attack, which can be crippled by even a little energy resistance, and I don't see where to go with it.

Honestly think its underpowered as a CR 18 opponent. Tiny chance of insanity with fairly easy save, or just simply not enough damage. May take a bit to figure out how to do a lot of damage to a magic-immune incorporeal creature, but shouldn't feel threatened or use precious resources to overcome. Even without ghost touch weapons, a mediocre T4 beatstick will eventually wear it down. Or better if there's an archer with the force bow or bow made out of the ghost touch material.
    Or some body with the Force- effect Reserve Feats. Those are (Su) abilities.
    Or somebody with Orb of Force. Or a wand/ etc. of it. I mean, sure, you probably expected to use those for incorporeal undead or ethereal types, but this saves you a headache.

Besides, at level 18, you're going to either have at least a backup Ghost Touch weapon, or a means to get Ghost Touch on your primary. Because incorporeal opponents are annoying without it.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Troll in the Playground

So incredibly annoying to kill without the right methods, but not too much else? Sounds fair.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Archive Of Our Own FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Extended signature here.

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Prismatic effects in 3e really needed an update from their 1e power baseline.
    They're not alone. I know we gamers like to complain whenever something they like changes (grumble grumble 5e warlock grumble something about at-will), but games which don't change anything generally end up worse.
    I'm the GWG from Bay12 and a bunch of other places.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Negative LA Assignment Thread
    The Tale of Demman, Second King of Ireland, a CKII AAR, won a WritAAR of the Week award. Winner of Villainous Competition 8
    Fanfic

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

concur nothing above -0 seems worthwhile here....

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by javcs View Post
    As a monster (or minion), with some advancement, it could possibly be used to counter an Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil ... but I'm pretty sure there are easier and better ways to do that.
    Now I want to build a minion-master's answer to the Batman wizard niche, with smoky confinement or whatever that spell is. "A prismatic wall blocks our way? I prepared a monster for just such an occasion!"
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

23. - Top - End - #1133

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Now I want to build a minion-master's answer to the Batman wizard niche, with smoky confinement or whatever that spell is. "A prismatic wall blocks our way? I prepared a monster for just such an occasion!"
    That would be a very interesting theory craft project.
    I am, of course, assuming that the answer isn't going to be "I have a batman for a minion".
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Titan in the Playground

Shadesteel Golem

Notorious as these might be in TO, there's just too little for the 18 RHD these guys come with. Shadow Blend is nice, and flight solves at least one of a golem's many problems, but the stats and size are just awful. -0 LA.

Greater Shadesteel Golem

obs -0 too
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2018-08-14 at 06:26 PM.

Extended signature!

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Titan in the Playground

[CENTER]Shadesteel Golem

Notorious as these might be in TO, there's just too little for the 18 RHD these guys come with. Shadow Blend is nice, and flight solves at least one of a golem's many problems, but the stats and size are just awful. -0 LA.
    Great to own, terrible to be.

Agree with -0.

26. - Top - End - #1136

Much better as a minion or a monster.
    But, 12d6 negative energy as an aura every 1d4+1 rounds isn't terrible.
    No weaknesses from Magical Immunity is also nice - only bonuses. You're hasted in magical light and healed in magical darkness. Don't remember what positive energy/ turning attempts do to it, think it might be hasting as well.

However ... just too many RHD to be worth playing.
    LA -0.

Excellent minion for a necromancer, or construct specialist, though.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1137

Concur at LA -0: excellent minion, not so hot as a PC. Notable for having significant skill bonuses, but that is not enough to salvage 18 Construct RHD.

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadesteel Golem

Spoiler
    Show
    That thing looks like quite the butthead.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Troll in the Playground

Why are these good as monsters - are they cheap to make or something?

Extended signature here.

30. - Top - End - #1140

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Why are these good as monsters - are they cheap to make or something?
    Not exactly. Creation costs of 70k gp, 4800xp.

However, they have a couple of really nice abilities that can synergize well with undead.

Specifically:
    Negative Pulse Wave(Su): The shadesteel golem can radiate a burst of inky black negative energy as a free action every 1d4+1 rounds. The pulse wave drains life from all living creatures within 40ft of the golem, dealing 12d6 points of negative energy damage. A DC 19 Fortitude save halves the damage; the save DC is Constitution-based. Undead creatures within the area are instead healed of 12d6 points of damage, and any turning effect they are under is broken. A Death Ward spell or similar effect protects a creature from a shadesteel golem's negative pulse wave.

And for the golem standard Immunity to Magic that Shadesteel golems have, there are no spells with negative effects.
    A magical effect that has the light descriptor (such as continual flame) causes the golem to speed up as if affected by a haste spell for 2d4 rounds. The golem is also hasted whenever it is subject to a positive energy effect, such as the turning attempt of a cleric. This might happen if the cleric has mistakenly identified the creature as a nightwalker or other undead, or if the golem is standing near undead.
    If a shadesteel golem is targeted by or within the area of a spell with the darkness or shadow descriptor, the golem is healed of 1 point of damage per level of the spell.

Plus it's got Shadow Blend, a +16 racial bonus on Move Silently checks and +12 racial bonus on Hide checks. And a fly speed of 30ft(perfect). DR 10/Adamantine and Magic (for the medium version).
    Spoiler
    Show