New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment Thread IV: Live Free or Hit Die Hard

CR 7, yet RHD 16.

Verdict: LA -0, nothing to dust wight home about.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

And another one bites the dust. *rimshot*

LA -0, next please?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ogre in the Playground

Some day it'll be all wight on the night, folks!

4. - Top - End - #874
    Barbarian in the Playground

Looks like this one will be collecting dust.
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

5. - Top - End - #875
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Someday, there will be an undead worth playing! Probably a template, maybe something which uses turn resistance instead of HD bloat.
    The templates have actually done well. Ghost is +3/+4, Skeleton is +1, Lich is +2, Vampire is +3. The bane wraith is a base creature, and playable at +0.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #876
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The templates have actually done well. Ghost is +3/+4, Skeleton is +1, Lich is +2, Vampire is +3. The bane wraith is a base creature, and playable at +0.
    Don't forget the +1 LA tainted minion.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, LA -0. Its SoD may be a dustification, but it's no justification.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Someday, there will be an undead worth playing! Probably a template, maybe something which uses turn resistance instead of HD bloat.
    I'm a fan of cryptspawn template from Magic of Faerun. It's basically just "your character, except undead".
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #878
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    I'm a fan of cryptspawn template from Magic of Faerun. It's basically just "your character, except undead".
    just looked it up and yeah you werent kidding. its very light on....everything.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground

Elemental, Storm

These guys are quite similar to the air elemental (reviewed years ago), so expect frequent comparisons.

Small Storm Elemental

Compared to small air elementals (which got +1 LA), small storm elementals have more constitution, less dexterity, less natural armor, a stronger slam, a considerably lower speed, no Improved Initiative, and better special abilities, such as the awesome Thunder and Lightning. While it seems that they're better at low ECLs, I can't help but feel like the air elemental is more viable at higher levels where 100 ft. fly speed is more relevant than 1/round 1d4 electricity damage. Even so, +1 LA here (but speak up, ones who'd prefer +0!).

Medium Storm Elemental

+0 LA, just like their airy counterparts. The raised fly speed is nice, the strength boost is too, and while the dexterity reduction hurts overall this remains on par with the air elemental.

Large Storm Elemental

8 RHD? No.

Huge and Larger Storm Elementals

No. Just no.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2018-07-08 at 04:04 PM.

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

10. - Top - End - #880
    Troll in the Playground

You might want to take another look at the image you picked :P

Anyway, the small elemental has some nice special abilities, but they don't scale with class levels at all. At higher levels they'll basically be useless, as everything will be able to save against them and the damage will be very low. I'd compare this with a warlock or dragonfire Adept, and unless I'm missing something, they break about even in general combat power at the same level. The elemental does have some nice immunities, and a very nice flight speed, so I'd say the small one is either a strong +0 or a weak +1.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2018-07-08 at 01:49 PM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

[CENTER]Elemental, Storm

(snip object lesson in rehosting)

These guys are quite similar to the air elemental (reviewed years ago), so expect frequent comparisons.

Small Storm Elemental

Compared to small air elementals (which got +1 LA), small storm elementals have more constitution, less dexterity, less natural armor, a stronger slam, a considerably lower speed, no Improved Initiative, and better special abilities, such as the awesome Thunder and Lightning. While it seems that they're better at low ECLs, I can't help but feel like the air elemental is more viable at higher levels where 100 ft. fly speed is more relevant than 1/round 1d4 electricity damage. Even so, +1 LA here (but speak up, ones who'd prefer +0!).

Medium Storm Elemental

+0 LA, just like their airy counterparts. The raised fly speed is nice, the strength boost is too, and while the dexterity reduction hurts overall this remains on par with the air elemental.
    For a PC, and especially at higher levels, the Electric and Sonic Healing power is going to be a lot more relevant than the +1d4 shock. I don't see it in your analysis at all.

Sonic immunity is rare enough to be a stand-out, since so few monsters even resist sonic damage -- which makes sonic attacks a player favorite. Being able to heal from those attacks offers an awful lot of party synergy.

Similarly, electric immunity is less common than cold or fire, so it's a relatively strong damage type.

There are some decent at-will electricity or sonic damage effects -- this PC turns those into unlimited downtime healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    You might want to take another look at the image you picked :P
    Indeed.

Spoiler: How it looks to people who aren't Inevitability
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    Anyway, the small elemental has some nice special abilities, but they don't scale with class levels at all. At higher levels they'll basically be useless, as everything will be able to save against them and the damage will be very low. I'd compare this with a warlock or dragonfire Adept, and unless I'm missing something, they break about even in general combat power at the same level. The elemental does have some nice immunities, and a very nice flight speed, so I'd say the small one is either a strong +0 or a weak +1.
    It's a flying thing that gets healed by the party's area effects, if the party is smart -- or if the enemy is immune to sonic & lightning, then this PC is probably being healed by the enemy's attacks.

Verdict: LA +1 / +1 / -0 / -0.
    Last edited by Nifft; 2018-07-08 at 03:55 PM.

12. - Top - End - #882

The small version gains Elemental immunities, 40 ft perfect fly speed as (Ex), the two hardest elemental immunities to get, as healing to boot, Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat; weak net +0 on abilities with a serious Int hit and only +1 natural AC. Electric damage rider on melee and Air Mastery are both negligible, and the (Su) attack is niche, but the shock ability has some use. It does not scale with anything and proves a poor base for anything but a brawler/Initiator, but it provides abilities in 2 RHD that many Epic builds would kill for; I think this is balanced at LA +1 for small.

Medium is meh-those trashy Elemental RHD start to reaaally hurt, you lose your bonus feat for mediocre bonuses apart from an increase on Fly speed. Still, not horrible; the chassis is rather loaded, and you are only losing 1 BAB across the 4 RHD. I would say LA +0...on the weaker end, but just enough to make it a possible pick, though I could see -0 without much issue.

The rest of them from Large onward are LA -0 without much discussion-jumping straight to 8 RHD of a type on the wrong side of mediocre in return for minimal bonuses makes a discussion pointless.
    Last edited by ViperMagnum357; 2018-07-08 at 02:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #883

MindFlayer

Looks like I'm agreeing with consensus, +1/+0/-0/-0.

The small one is a weak +1, and won't be amazing at higher levels. Perfect flight and useful stats, even weapon finesse for free are quite nice. Then elemental type and solid immunities. I don't think it would be broken at +0, but I'm leaning to +1. The free damage will add up before level 5, though I'd prefer is some of it scaled.

Medium does respectable damage, is mobile, and durable enough in a 4-5 level party as 4HD elemental/4HD elemental with one class level. Doesn't scale wonderfully, but good stats, NA, decent flight speed with perfect maneuverability. Take any ToB class and I think he's fine. The 4 RHD that come with the type aren't great, but you only lose one BAB at least.

Larger is too many RHD, pretty much needs actual casting or amazing features.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

Likewise. +1, +0, -0, -0.

Spoiler: reasoning
    Show
    Flight is very nice at low levels and still a money-saver at high levels. Low, the healing barely matters because the damage types just won't come up; high, a bit of incidental hit point healing is nice but not enough to affect LA. Immunity to crits, poison, stunning, paralysis and drowning, that's all good. Crap RHD, not so good. Thunder And Lightning isn't party-friendly and does damage that's only consequential at 1st level unless your party likes kiting. The loss of Intelligence is kinda awful -- hope you don't like prestige classes, 'cause you ain't got the skill points to enter one.

Comparing the Small elemental plus a level of warlock to a level 4 human warlock, I'd say that's about even (though I'd still prefer the elemental any day -- I love flying). Small elemental plus 7 warlock versus human warlock 10, again about even. So, LA +1 for Small.

Medium has two more bad RHD, better land and fly speeds (?why?), better damage for slam and stormy stuff, more natural armor, different-not-better stats. Given the ability score change, I'd compare the Medium against a barbarian. 4 HD + 1 LA + barbarian1 against human barbarian 6? I'd take the human, no question. 4 HD + barbarian1 against a human barbarian 5? Sure, that's fair. Flight, NA, immunities, a little freebie damage and a natural weapon balance against class features, skills and feat.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

So if a storm elemental is psychic and uses expansion, that ups its shock, thunder and lightning damage right? I think a case can be made for large being at least a +0 on a psionic build.

16. - Top - End - #886

Quote Originally Posted by Lans View Post
    So if a storm elemental is psychic and uses expansion, that ups its shock, thunder and lightning damage right? I think a case can be made for large being at least a +0 on a psionic build.
    Seems like it'd work, but I don't think it's enough to save it from being -0. You're essentially spending 9+ levels on a once-per-encounter AoE attack.
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

ya I agree, being slightly alright if you do a specific psionic build does not save large storm elementals from sucking. As is the thunder attack rather sucks, on the one hand it damages everyone around you in a burst and on the other it doesn't do enough damage to be very helpful. The saving grace for the small and medium storm is really the elemental healing. +1, +0, -0, -0

On a side note I think a storm elemental and shambling mound would have good synergy, maybe throw a stormcaster into the mix for giggles?

18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground

Ephemeral Swarm

ephemeral
    ɪˈfɛm(ə)r(ə)l,ɪˈfiːm(ə)r(ə)l
    adjective
    1. lasting for a very short time.

Not only is this an undead swarm, it's an incorporeal undead swarm! This rare combination of types and subtypes is commonly referred to as 'all the immunities'.

The ability scores are a mixed bag. Intelligence is ridiculously low, wisdom is average, and strength and constitution literally nonexistent, but dexterity and charisma both get a decent +8 bonus.

In violation of the actual swarm rules, the ephemeral swarm deals 1d6 strength damage to creatures caught within it. The typical Distraction ability works as usual.

However, considering the 12 undead RHD that come with playing a creature like this, I can't in good faith assign more than -0 here. Being an incorporeal undead swarm may be nifty, but at this cost it's not worth it.

Extended signature!

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

-0 it is, too bad it isn't around 5-6 rhd it would be pretty cool in that case. On a side note I am amused by the derpy one in the middle left side of the picture.

20. - Top - End - #890

I had passed this over during my last read-through of the MM3: 12 Undead RHD + Swarm was all I though I needed to see to make a judgment. Actually looking at it, this seems more interesting than I assumed. A type of no-save Strength damage that also requires no attack roll, and does not do business with SR? That is something to respect, even if it is not much. Unfortunately, as a character there are just so many things you have to work around to meaningfully contribute: the Int problem, having a permanently Incorporeal PC, and of course 12 RHD in a 3 way tie for worst chassis.

I say LA -0 for the Ephemeral Swarm, but this would be an interesting exercise in shaving RHD to reach parity with class levels. There are just too many hoops to jump through as written.
    Last edited by ViperMagnum357; 2018-07-10 at 12:48 PM.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

This would be a very interesting monster to throw at the PCs, but would be virtually unusable as a PC.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

22. - Top - End - #892
    Bugbear in the Playground

If it didn't have so many HD that it's unquestionably -0, it'd need a DM caution marking, though it still might.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #893
    Titan in the Playground

Verdict: LA -0* because it's either unplayable or it's not, depending -- but it's not going to be competitive even if it is made playable.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Verdict: LA -0* because it's either unplayable or it's not, depending -- but it's not going to be competitive even if it is made playable.
    Making this playable is... very easy actually. It may have 2 intelligence, but because its type doesn't mandate a maximum int score it can just assign anything above 10 in the stat and end up with PC-grade smarts.

Being undead and incorporeal obviously doesn't prevent PC-hood either, and being a swarm just makes it difficult to play, not unplayable (not saying it'll be strong, but it'll be playable).

Extended signature!

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

Making this playable is... very easy actually. It may have 2 intelligence, but because its type doesn't mandate a maximum int score it can just assign anything above 10 in the stat and end up with PC-grade smarts.
    Who said anything about the Int score?

Did you mean to quote someone else?

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

Who said anything about the Int score?

Did you mean to quote someone else?
    I must've misunderstood: my apologies.

Extended signature!

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

I must've misunderstood: my apologies.
    No problem. Maybe someone else did say something about Int? Go forth and smite their opinion with my blessing.

I think it's likely to be unplayable because of its subtypes, and because 12 RHD doesn't give nearly enough room to compensate for them nor leverage them.

28. - Top - End - #898

No problem. Maybe someone else did say something about Int? Go forth and smite their opinion with my blessing.

I think it's likely to be unplayable because of its subtypes, and because 12 RHD doesn't give nearly enough room to compensate for them nor leverage them.
    I mentioned the Int, mostly because it moves the net abilities from +16 to +8 relative to a mindless Undead that could likely get a free 10 roll from an awakening effect. Even with 2 complete ability dumps, +8 net is what I would consider balanced for roughly 2 RHD. Then you are losing 1 iterative, and have to net +5 BAB on your first eight class levels to gain your 3rd iterative around the time a caster is getting their 9ths-yuck.
    Last edited by ViperMagnum357; 2018-07-10 at 05:31 PM.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd be OK with it at like 7 or 8 RHD even (not for a +1, maybe, but a +0, sure). But 12 is too many. -0.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ogre in the Playground

This is basically a wallflower character. You can't be killed (at least not easily), but you also can't contribute anything worthwhile. You're just there, munching on the free XPs. It's perfect for someone who doesn't want to actually play the game.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!