New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Question A Different Kind of Summoner

im not quite getting the summoner i'm looking for. i want interesting creatures like magical beasts, & oozes;

that DMG pretige class has sentient extra planar guys to that you have to bargain with gold and such. Lame. druids with their animals have been done ( though im looking into dinosauars and dire animalks a bit)

this is purely NPC flavoring. An NPC that runs an exotic zoo. though i want his manar of catching and domesticating theses animals to be more interesting than just the DM showering him with gold to buy them.

if there is no class that summons magical beasts, perhaps he can set non-lethal traps up, track/scry them and teleports them to the trap where he handle animals them and eventually domesticates them?

what combination spells should he have?

kind of on a separat note but not really, earth elementals with earth glide. can they just grab you and suck you into the earth then leave you there? they can move through earth as easily as water. i figure they grab you "swim you under" and leave you to suffocate. right?
    Last edited by Cowboy_ninja; 2007-08-29 at 03:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Summoner

can the spell dominate animal work on magical beasts?

i fugure since you can use wild empathy and handle animal on magical beasts why not dominate animal?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: A Different Kind of Summoner

I've said this before and I'll say this again.

A BBEG is a challenge, not a Wargame unit. You don't have to build a BBEG by taking a human and giving them class levels -- you can just make a BBEG.

Restricting the BBEG to a set of rules is a good thing, but those rules need not be the same as you restrict players to.

So create yourself your Zookeeper. Give him a spell list and spells known -- invent some if you have to. Steal abilities from the Scout/Ranger/Rogue classes to give him the wild feel you want. Set his BaB, HP, AC, magical combat abilities, and allies in a fight so that he will be a challenge to the party.

I'd recommend a list of known spells (spontaneous casting) rather than books of spells, simply because it makes your paperwork easier.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Summoner

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_ninja View Post
    can the spell dominate animal work on magical beasts?
    No. Dominate Animal doesn't work on magical beasts.
    Druid-Ninjatar by the sensuous Serpentine.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I'm considering a Summoner who gets Nine "Calling" Spells for specific beings they can call. Because they are a Calling Spell they can take stuff back with them to wherever they came from.
    Initiate Cleric of Skaroq

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    The most powerful monster in DnD? The DM of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptilius View Post
    5216. The Gray Guard PrC, despite being a righteous knight who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, does NOT mean you are Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus_Samma View Post
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Beast Heart Adept from Dungeonscape(?) works like Beastmaster from Complete Adventurer, but for Magical Beasts. Thrall of Baphomet gets a Fiendish Animal Companion(if he doesn't already have one), or his Companion turns Fiendish(I think). Champions of Ruin has a Feat which works similarly(turns them more feral). Unapproachable East has Talontar Blightlord, which turns them into Diseased-Plant-like versions of themselves(and later into Juju Zombies). Fiendblooded PrC from Heroes of Horror works sort of like Dragon Disciple for Fiends, and their Familiar turns "Fiendish"(probably same as ToBaph, so not so useful if you're looking at Arcane Heirophant to combine them all). Spellstitched Familiar in Libris Mortis("Why settle for a Pseudonatural Cat when you can have a Fiendish Pseudonatural Cat made from the stitched together corpses of several Fiendish Pseudonatural Cats?"). Oozemaster from one of the Faerun books lets you get some oozies. Thrall of Jubilex might actually let you rebuke/summon them, if I remember it right.
    Last edited by AtomicKitKat; 2007-08-30 at 04:32 AM.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicKitKat View Post
    ("Why settle for a Pseudonatural Cat when you can have a [i]Fiendish[i] Pseudonatural Cat made from the stitched together corpses of several Fiendish Pseudonatural Cats?")
    Haha, thats a good one
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Haha, thats a good one
    It's not mine though. Adapted from this.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.