Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

This is the out of character thread for our Skaldlands adventure. I'll try to post an update at least once a day to keep the in game narrative going. Occasionally, I'll need to take a few days off to travel, and I'll give advance warning about that.

As far as handling actual in game stuff goes, I'd prefer to not use a separate dice rolling thread if we can avoid it, i've always been a fan of putting dice rolls in spoilers in the in character thread, so like for a stealth check, just put

Spoiler: stealth check
    Show
    (1d20+3)[4]

below your current action. If this really bothers people, we can do something else. I personally prefer this, as it allow for easy reference without having to go between a bunch of tabs and it keeps the crawl of the IC thread clean of overt rolls (as they'll be hidden in spoilers).

If a specific piece of information is only known to one or a few characters, I can put that information in its own spoiler.

Spoiler: Bob the Barbarian
    Show
    Bob knows that snakes don't make good pets.

For really secretive stuff, we can use personal messages, though I doubt it'll actually come up.

Occasionally, I might include an OOC spoiler in an IC post. This will likely happen when I'm prompting a skill check or clarifying a bit of information that is easier to handle as part of the IC thread than in it's own post here. As of this post, we're still waiting for a few character sheets to be finished, but once everyone is ready, we can kick things off.

In general, I enjoy having people use italics to denote internal thoughts.

If there's other style stuff or general notes that you'd like to see included, I'd like to hear them. In my experience, combat is a bit slow with play by post, so I've chosen an adventure that I believe will offer more opportunity for dialogue and roleplaying. If you're feeling that it's too boring and you'd like to hit something, let me know and I'll see what I can do to up the action.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

Alright. Let's go with Pierce Raedan, half elven forge cleric.
    I'm going to use this color for speech.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1523617

Akkila, Tiefling paladin of the Lorbringers

And my character speak cholor will beeeeeee "THIS"

I also posted like 5 nonsense things so I could link this! Can't wait for the game to start!
    Last edited by mtatosky; 2018-03-14 at 03:46 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I'm writing a backstory. How do you want me to handle significant NPCs such as parents, a spouse, or children?

(I want my Pierce to have a wife and daughter, but I don't know how you want me to work out the details.)

My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I'll get a char sheet up soon, just as soon as I find some free time and decide between Lore and Valor bard. Which shouldn't be that hard, except for the fact that she fits all the characteristics of a Valor bard but doesn't actually fight physically.

Also, fair warning: I'm participating in a play, and the performances are tomorrow and Friday, so until Saturday I'll be even more sporadic with posting than I have been.

One last thing: So I've never done a PbP roleplay, how does this kinda thing work here?
    Last edited by saltstorming; 2018-03-14 at 09:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    So, I'm writing a backstory. How do you want me to handle significant NPCs such as parents, a spouse, or children?

(I want my Pierce to have a wife and daughter, but I don't know how you want me to work out the details.)
    That sounds great to me, I think the two most likely situations are either that they live southwest in a lorbringer settlement, or that they are native to where the campaign will take place, in the beltalnds and you’ve kind of settled down to live here.

As far as writing them out, I’ll give you full discretion on what your family life looks like. You could even own a small farm that’s stuggling to get by and you’ve gone adventuring to provide for your family. Totally up to you. If they enter into the actual game, I’m fine either playing them as npc’s or letting you roleplay them alongside Pierce, whichever feels more natural given the context.

On a general note, I’d highly encourage everyone to come up with some sort of family/community/company tie they might have in the world. I find it’s more fun when the characters are invested in a given community.

Quote Originally Posted by saltstorming View Post
    I'll get a char sheet up soon, just as soon as I find some free time and decide between Lore and Valor bard. Which shouldn't be that hard, except for the fact that she fits all the characteristics of a Valor bard but doesn't actually fight physically.

Also, fair warning: I'm participating in a play, and the performances are tomorrow and Friday, so until Saturday I'll be even more sporadic with posting than I have been.

One last thing: So I've never done a PbP roleplay, how does this kinda thing work here?
    No worries on that, I think we’ll probably have a bit of a slow start.

I’ve not done too many of these, but in general I will try to post at least once a day. I’ll post some explanatory or expository text, setting the scene and then you are free to post what your character does or says. Functionally it’s very similar to regular dnd, with the obvious exception that the length of play is greatly stretched. This reduced speed allows you to add in a lot more flavor to your role playing including character thoughts, rich descriptions, and complicated dialog.

When everyone is ready, I’ll make an in character (IC) thread. All of the in game stuff will happen there. This thread will be for out of game stuff like rules clarifications, scheduling concerns, and pictures/fluff stuff that aren’t appropriate for the IC thread.

Like I said, I’ll try to post at least once a day, this should be enough time to ensue that everyone who wants to respond to my post/act in a round/interact with an NPC is able to do so before I post again.

This will become especially important during combat. When we’re in combat, I’ll wait to make sure everyone has posted an action before the monsters take their turn. If it seems like someone is AFK for more than a day, I’ll do what I can to have the monsters leave them alone, but things are usually much better if everyone is around for the fight. Initiative doesn’t really work well here, so I’ll just have the monsters all go when I post and have you act in the order you post in.

I’d recommend checking out some OOC and IC threads to get a general feel for the style of forum posting. If you’ve got any specific questions, I’d be happy to answer them.

On a totally separate note, I’ll post some sample bardic sagas some time tomorrow for you to check out, you should feel free to write/look up your own sagas and to perhaps write sagas about the party’s exploits.
    Last edited by gabado; 2018-03-14 at 09:56 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by gabado View Post
    On a general note, I’d highly encourage everyone to come up with some sort of family/community/company tie they might have in the world. I find it’s more fun when the characters are invested in a given community.

No worries on that, I think we’ll probably have a bit of a slow start.

I’ve not done too many of these, but in general I will try to post at least once a day. I’ll post some explanatory or expository text, setting the scene and then you are free to post what your character does or says. Functionally it’s very similar to regular dnd, with the obvious exception that the length of play is greatly stretched. This reduced speed allows you to add in a lot more flavor to your role playing including character thoughts, rich descriptions, and complicated dialog.

When everyone is ready, I’ll make an in character (IC) thread. All of the in game stuff will happen there. This thread will be for out of game stuff like rules clarifications, scheduling concerns, and pictures/fluff stuff that aren’t appropriate for the IC thread.

Like I said, I’ll try to post at least once a day, this should be enough time to ensue that everyone who wants to respond to my post/act in a round/interact with an NPC is able to do so before I post again.

This will become especially important during combat. When we’re in combat, I’ll wait to make sure everyone has posted an action before the monsters take their turn. If it seems like someone is AFK for more than a day, I’ll do what I can to have the monsters leave them alone, but things are usually much better if everyone is around for the fight. Initiative doesn’t really work well here, so I’ll just have the monsters all go when I post and have you act in the order you post in.

I’d recommend checking out some OOC and IC threads to get a general feel for the style of forum posting. If you’ve got any specific questions, I’d be happy to answer them.

On a totally separate note, I’ll post some sample bardic sagas some time tomorrow for you to check out, you should feel free to write/look up your own sagas and to perhaps write sagas about the party’s exploits.
    Okay! I'd actually already come up with a lot of her clan and family life previously. Her clan is generally pretty secluded from the outside world, though it isn't uncommon for some to leave to trade or explore, given the curious nature of tabaxi. It's built into a sort of mountain, with enough natural resources to make the clan fairly self-sufficient. Traders will often bring back rarer delights rather than necessities. In general, they're fairly tribal but do enjoy imported comforts, and don't tend to struggle to survive. My character would have left to learn more about the outside world, to perform in various strange locales, and to adventure.

Bardic sagas? Oh heck yes that sounds awesome. I'll admit to never having written one but that sounds like an awesome challenge, as well as a way to show Thunder's appreciation for battle while playing her as a jack-of-all-trades Lore bard.

Question, why have people stated that their character will speak in a certain color?
    Last edited by saltstorming; 2018-03-14 at 11:20 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

In a pbp game, you type your characer's speech and thoughts in color so it's easily to tell apart from the others.

Also I upgraded to plate armor, because I realized my character can just make it

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #9

PaladinGuy

Jacira Bear's Eye will speak in Violet.

10. - Top - End - #10

Also I upgraded to plate armor, because I realized my character can just make it
    Sounds good to me, makes sense too that the paladin and cleric of Lor would be outfitted similarly.

Okay! I'd actually already come up with a lot of her clan and family life previously. Her clan is generally pretty secluded from the outside world, though it isn't uncommon for some to leave to trade or explore, given the curious nature of tabaxi. It's built into a sort of mountain, with enough natural resources to make the clan fairly self-sufficient. Traders will often bring back rarer delights rather than necessities. In general, they're fairly tribal but do enjoy imported comforts, and don't tend to struggle to survive. My character would have left to learn more about the outside world, to perform in various strange locales, and to adventure.

Bardic sagas? Oh heck yes that sounds awesome. I'll admit to never having written one but that sounds like an awesome challenge, as well as a way to show Thunder's appreciation for battle while playing her as a jack-of-all-trades Lore bard.
    That sounds good to me for backstory, you've been traveling around collecting stories to bring back to your people to share.

Here are a couple sample stories. They don't have to be long, just little fairy tales about great deeds or mysterious happenings.

Spoiler: lemon cakes and hrimtursirs
    Show

For three weeks they had been trekking through the deep snows by the roots of the Jarngand mountains. Hildi was used to this kind of cold and yet she tightened the grip around her fur coat and wrapped it closer around the body as the Great White winds came roaring down from the hills. Storg and his brother Jormyr were with her and together they were heading back home to their village after a long hunting trip. Their hunt had been successful and they would return home with many hides and slabs of meat that would help them wait out the coming winter. Their catch was tied down to a cart that Storg was dragging along. This was no ordinary cart with wheels, it was built to be dragged through the deep snows of the northern Stormlands and thus it looked more like an oversized snow shoe.

Although they were close to home they set up camp under the shadow of a great rock where they could rest their sore legs for a moment or two. Jormyr was anxious to get on with the journey and did not want to stop, even though he felt his tender feet ache inside his fur clad boots. Hildi knew that Jormyr would complain, he always complained about almost everything. And just for that reason she had prepared a treat for her companions to make the rest worthwhile even for Jormyr. Hildi sat down and rested her back against the great rock as she started to rattle her leather pouch in search for the surprise. “We have no time for this”, Jormyr lamented. Storg lit his pipe and joined Hilid by the rock. “Ah, come now brother”, he said, “We will soon be home. Besides, I think we have earned ourselves a moment to catch our breath after such a long hunt, and a successful one at that!” Storg gestured towards the hides that laid frost bitten on the cart. Jormyr grumbled and planted his axe in the snow. Hildi smiled as she felt her hands grab around the little woolen knit in which the surprise laid hidden, “Yes, I agree with Storg. I think you will join us when you see what I have brought with me”

When Hildi pulled the woolen knit from her pouch both Storg and Jormyr lit up, for they knew what was packed within. “Lemon cakes!”, Jormyr gushed as Hildi revealed the golden brown tarts to the group. Jormyr was first to grab three cakes from Hildi’s hand and quickly scuttle away to enjoy them in silence. After a moment Jormyr broke the silence, “Very well, I suppose this little stop was not a complete waste of time.” Hildi smiled and let the sour filling of the tart softly stroke the inside of her throat as she reveled in every little bite.

Just as Jormyr had eaten the final cake and the group was about to prepare for the final stretch before they would arrive home, Storg stood up and quickly grabbed his axe. His gaze laid upon the mountains and his face was twisted in an expression of wonder and terror. “By Stormi, are you seeing this Hildi?”, Storg said in a low voice. Hildi looked up and grabbed her shortsword.
    That was when she saw it.

Down from the mountains it came with huge icicles hanging from its great horns. Hildi did not know what the monstrous creature was but Jormyr swiftly informed her that it was in fact a Hrimtursir, a frost giant from the Great White. Soon the ground shook with every rumbling step that the giant took as it was making its way down from the icy peaks towards the valley where the troupe had set up camp. Jormyr and Storg quickly took down the camp and was getting ready to leave whilst Hildi just stood there in awe of the giant. She was not afraid, instead she admired the hrimtursir with awe as it moved along through the snowy landscape. Just then it occurred to Hildi that the giant seemed very old. It bore a great frostbitten beard and as it walked along it leaned its weight against a gargantuan walking stick. To call it a stick is perhaps not quite right since it looked more like a great tree. Also, its blueish and frosty skin bore many scars and marks from the many battles that Hildi imagined that the hrimtursir had lived through, it even bore a great sword in its belt.

Jormyr readied his axe as the giant was now only a couple of hundred meters away from them, but Storg hindered him. “No.” he said. “We would not be victorious in such a battle, brother. Let it pass on by and soak in the moment. We might never see another one like it in our lifetime” Storg did as he was told and once the giant creature had passed on by the troupe gathered their things and resumed their journey.

Soon Storg, Jormyr and Hildi reached their village where they could share their pelts and stories with the rest of the villagers. Hildi would often let her thoughts wander back to that day in the valley by the foot of Jarngand and for many a year she would tell of that day to her children and grandchildren that would listen with gaping mouths.
    Many times hence the three friends have made that same journey from the troll mountains to their village in the far north of Wildland. But in the end Storg was right. Hildi never saw another hrimtursir in her life.

Spoiler: troll pearls
    Show
    Elsa ran as fast as her little legs would carry her. A little girl might not be able to put up much of a fight against full grown men with swords and axes, but she could surely outrun them.

Through the forest Elsa sprinted, dodging branches and jumping over both stock, stone and brook as she went along. The thicket of the forest passed by in a blur but as long as Elsa could hear the howling and growling of the men and their hounds she could not allow herself to slow down. After some time when Elsa could no longer hear her pursuers behind her, she halted. Elsa sat down on a nearby tree stump to catch her breath. She was relieved to be safe from harm, but soon she realized that she had no idea where she was. Well, she was somewhere deep in the forest, that was for certain. Elsa had been so focused on her escape that she had payed no attention to where her feet were carrying her. She cursed herself, she had promised mother not to get lost in the forest. But now it was far too late, Elsa was truly lost in the forest.

For a moment she lingered by the tree stump, trying constantly to remember the route she had taken. She was going through the events step by step in her head. Firstly she had seen those glittering and perfectly round little pearls, lying in sacks by the crooked old oak. At that time Elsa couldn’t have helped herself, she just had to have one of those pearls. It wasn’t her fault that the bandits had left the pearls unguarded. And besides, they had so many already, surely taking one could do no harm. Elsa snatched one and took off as fast as she could, but it wasn’t long before she could hear the bandits and their hounds following her. Elsa had picked up the pace and turned right by the great dwarf pine, or was it left? Then she came to the fallen tree and after that the glittering stream, or was it the other way around? Elsa sat down again and let out a deep sigh, “I’ll never find my way back” she said to herself.

“Back where, little one?” a strange voice suddenly answered. Elsa gasped and looked up quickly. There, by the fallen tree, stood a troll. Old and ugly it was. Its face all wrinkled and its hair all tangled up with mud, twigs and bones. It was clad in fox fur and old torn cloths and on its fingers it bore many iron rings. Elsa was of course startled and surprised to be joined by such an old troll, but not scared. It was not the first time she ever saw a troll, but she knew still not to anger such a creature, lest she wanted to end up as supper. “Back home.” Elsa responded in a quiet voice. The troll stroked its chin and observed Elsa from head to toe for a moment and then took a few careful steps towards her. Just then Elsa stood up from the tree stump and cleared her throat, “I’m sorry, but I must ask you not to come any closer.” she said.

The troll quickly bolted back to the fallen tree and bowed its head. “Oh, my deepest apologies, little one. No need to be frightened, I mean you no harm.” the troll mumbled. Elsa could feel cold sweats starting to run down her forehead as she grabbed her pearl tightly in her pocket. The troll must have noticed Elsa’s motion, “What is that in your pocket, my child?” it asked. Elsa quickly removed her hand from her pocket and wiped the sweat from her forehead. “Nothing at all. Now, I must be heading back home or mother will be very angry with me.” Elsa said as she turned away from the troll and started walking. Before she could get very far the troll had bolted round the trees to block her path forward once again. Elsa turned again and tried a different direction but every time she would go somewhere the troll would stand in her way. “Don’t be hasty” the troll hissed. “I have eleven hungry little ones at home who would love to meet you”. Elsa knew what this was: the troll meant to cook her and serve her up for dinner like a mere sunday roast.

The idea struck Elsa like a bolt of lightning just as the troll was liking its fingers and moving in to grab her. “Wait!” she cried out. The troll was startled and stopped for a moment with surprise painted all over its ugly face. “You want to know what I have in my pocket?” Elsa asked the troll. The troll was noticeably excited as it stroked its hands up and down whilst its emerald eyes remained intensely focused on Elsa. “Well, do you?” Elsa asked again. This time the troll nodded and showed its rotten teeth in a wide smile. “This is what I have in my pocket!” Elsa announced as she revealed the pearl. The troll almost fell over in awe and excitement as it laid eyes on the pearl. Practically drooling it came in closer to snatch it. “Oh, what precious little things you carry in your pockets”.

Just as the troll was about to grab the pearl Elsa quickly put it back in her pocket. The troll cursed and tore its hair in frustration. “What a nasty little one! Give it to me, or I shall tear you flesh from your bone” the troll squealed. Elsa tried to remain calm, she knew that she now had the upper hand. “Calm down, master toll.” she said. “The pearl will in time be yours, but first you will have to earn it”. The troll stopped its cursing and looked at Elsa with mistrust in its eyes. “What mischief has the little one planned?” the troll asked. “No mischief” Elsa said, “the pearl will be yours once you show me the way out of this forest so that I can return to my ma and pa”. The troll mumbled to itself for a moment before it answered. “As you wish, little one”.

Thus it was that the troll led Elsa through the forest all the way back to its very border where the troll proclaimed that it would go no further in fear of straying too far from its lair. Elsa was most thankful and of course upheld her part of the bargain. Elsa would never see such joy again as the joy that she saw in the trolls face as it wrapped its mud clad hands around that pearl. The two of them parted there by the edge of the forest and went back home to their own families.
    Elsa, the fishmonger’s daughter, had lost her precious pearl to the troll, but in return she had been given a story that she would tell over and over again until it was passed down through the generations long after her death. And really, what worth is a pearl compared to a good story?

Spoiler: the hero and the wurm
    Show
    he stench was horrid. From the black waters of the bog little gusts of dark smoke bore with them a scent so foul and potent that Oywind had to bring his chainmail clad arm up to protect his nose. One careful step at a time he waded through the calm waters, making sure not to get stuck in the dark blue mud of that bog. The night was pitch black but Oywind carefully surveyed the area as best he could as the went along, anxiously spying for lyktgubbes or other dark undead. Tightly he gripped his sword and held up his wooden shield, as if waiting for something to lunge from the darkness at any moment. Oywind’s prey was a cunning one, a silver-tongued devil and dealer of death. Oywind was hunting a lindwurm.

Then suddenly, there over yonder, a warm light emerged from utter blackness. Owyind froze in place and ducked down in the water in fear of being spotted. Slowly he made his way over to the roots of a nearby tree, never allowing his eyes to stray from the light. That light came from a re, that much Oywind was certain of. Then he spotted them, three cloaked figures all carrying small lanterns were moving slowly through the waters up ahead. Finally luck had found him, for Oywind knew that these figures would lead him straight to his prey. The figures were lindwurm worshippers and they had come to this bog to perform a ritual of sacrifice. Whether such a sacrifice was human or not, Oywind did not know.
    Carefully he followed the cloaked figures and their lantern lights, never allowing them to slip out of sight whilst still keeping his distance. Soon they led Oywind to a place where the dead hung in snares from branches high above, swaying back and forth in the cold night casting long shadows on the trees and the water. Oywind looked up at them and shivered, for he could swear that their eyes were following his every move. At last the cloaked figures stopped by a great willow tree.

Just by the roots of that willow tree rose from the black waters a long stone table upon which many a gift had been laid bare. Those gifts took many forms, some more horrid than others. Skulls and bones, stone and wooden figurines, coins of bronze and silver, weapons and gemstones. All had been placed there as tribute by wicked folk who had come to worship the lindwurm. For the cloaked figures were not the first to come here, but Oywind meant to make certain that they were indeed the last ones. The cloaked ones approached the stone table and placed their lanterns upon it as Oywind watched them from afar, following their every move carefully. Soon it would show itself, soon the great snake would be before him. The cloaked figures had come with gifts, just like others before them. From within their robes they brought forth glittering coins, ointments and incense. Just as they had placed their gifts the cloaked men took a knee in the muddy waters and awaited their god. They needed not wait for long.

From the darkness it came. Slithering hither and thither the lindwurm emerged from the blackness of the night to meet its servants. Monstrous it was with its hulking body, white scales, gleaming eyes and razor sharp teeth. The snake wrapped itself round the willow for many a lap until it at last rested its great head on its own tail, observing the cloaked figures with glowing eyes. “Well, well, well. What have we here?”, the lindwurm hissed in a poisonous voice. One of the cloaked figures arose from the waters and drew a crooked knife from within his robes. “We have come hither to pay tribute” the cloaked one said. “For we are thine humble servants and merely ask to be allowed to gaze upon thine greatness and glory”. The lindwurm was most pleased with such flattery, as all snakes are. So much so that it swayed its monstrous head back and forth as it let its forked tongue slip across its open mouth. “I am most pleased to hear it” the Lindwurm said. “But I would be amiss if I did not tell you that I am also very...disappointed with you lot. For I am hungry and you have not brought me a sacrifice of flesh and blood. Perhaps I must devour one of you three instead?”. The cloaked figure that had stood up took a knee again and shrugged. “It would be our honor, oh mighty one”. The lindwurm smiled and slithered ever closer, “Very well then”.

In that moment Oywind stepped forward to reveal himself in the lantern light. “There will be no need for that. For I am Oywind, great hero of Arje. And I mean to slay thee on this night, wicked worm” he said and held his sword and shield at the ready. The cloaked figures suddenly arose and turned to face him. The lindwurm looked at Oywind with intrigued eyes for a moment, then it slowly slithered back into the darkness and vanished. The cloaked ones drew their crooked daggers, “Fool! Do you not see what thou hast done? The master demands a sacrifice” one of them cried out. Oywind pointed his blade at the cloaked figures, “There will be no such sacrifices today, for I shall hinder it if I may”. Then the cloaked ones came rushing forward holding their daggers aloft. One by one they swung their blades at Oywind who avoided every strike gracefully. Soon the cloaked worshippers were undone in a storm of blood and steel and as their corpses laid warm in the black water Oywind could feel the presence of his prey watching him from the shadows. “Come out, show thyself!”, Owyind roared to the blackness of the night. First there was only silence, then a hissing chuckle answered him from beyond the darkness. “Well done, well done indeed” the Lindwurm said from the cover of night.

“Thou hast undone my servants. Not the greatest of opponents, but an impressive display none the less, great hero. For that is why thou hast come, no? Because thou art the hero, and I am the monster. T’is a tale as old as time itself, a circle that will forever remain unbroken. Yes, it is indeed true that thou be a great hero, Oywind of Arje. The tales of thine bravery and valor have reached even my old ears. To end my life at the tip of thine blade would indeed be a worthy death for an old wurm such as myself. But tell me, oh hero, to what end? For thou may strike me down as best ye can, but thou wouldst not do more than fulfill the prophecy that has already been written. For once upon a time I was too a great hero like ye, strong and brave. My conquests where the stuff of legend that all the skalds would sing of. Many a man met their doom at the tip of my spear and it was said that no foe could undo me. But it was neither foe nor friend that would be my undoing, it was a heart. For I have once stood where you now stand and gazed into eyes much alike my own. But when my battle was done and the wurm laid dead and cold before me, I too was nearing my end. For my wounds were deep and the blood colored red the very ground that you now stand on. In that moment I wondered if the old legends were true, was there power in the heart of a lindwurm? I held my blade aloft and carved the heart from the dead husk of that great snake. And I ate it. I gnawed away at the still beating heart until I had swallowed every last sinew. My wounds were restored, but after sixteen days I became as I am now, cold and scaled. As I said, oh great hero, t’is a tale as old as time itself. So I ask ye, to what end must we do battle?”

Owyind stood still for a moment. As much as it pained him, he could not help but listen to the seductive tale of the lindwurm that sent shivers down Oywind’s spine with every word. The lindwurm told no lies, that much he was certain of. But in the end Oywind decided that a liar or not, the lindwurm would die on this day. “Your words will not sway me. True or false they matter little. I have walked through re and water to end you, worm. And by the gods I shall see my quest fulfilled”. Owyind heard a chuckle from beyond the darkness, “We shall see”.

Then suddenly the lindwurm lunged itself at Owyind from the blackness of the night. And thus began a battle so long and terrible that I could not possibly tell of it here in its entirety. Suffice it to say that in the end the wurm laid dead before Oywind and the hero stood victorious against his foe, but he had paid a most mighty price. For Oywind bled heavily from many wounds on his torn body, his bones broken and his shield shattered. Oywind had but one choice if he wanted to live and with his final strength the hero of Arje crawled through the muddy waters towards the husk of the wurm. There Oywind grabbed a crooked dagger from one of the cloaked worshippers and with it he tore open the lindwurm’s chest. Within sat a great heart, still beating and cold. Owyind grabbed it with his trembling hands and raised it up to his lips where he could not help but stop and hesitate for a moment. The night was dark and quiet, no help was coming. As grim a fate as it may be, it was his only hope. Oywind let loose a cry of pain and anger that echoed throughout the land as he bit into the heart. In a last dying frenzy the hero devoured the heart of the lindwurm, to the very last sinew. Then Oywind fell, bloodsoaked and dying his eyes were closed shut.

When the hero woke again he found that his wounds had been miraculously healed. Oywind returned home to his people - with the head of the lindwurm as a trophy - and there he was greeted and hailed as one of the greatest heroes and champions of his time. But in the end the hero’s had been to no avail. In the coming days Oywinds mind grew ever darker, and his thirst for blood grew insatiable. He became cold as ice and his words ever more poisonous. On the next full moon Oywind had slithered back into the night, never to be seen again. As the lindwurm said, t’is a tale as old as time itself, a circle that will forever remain unbroken. The hero and the wurm, one and the same in the end.

I'd like to encourage everyone to come up with myths and legends their characters may know, feel free to incorporate stuff from other cannon. Tales of mythic beasts, the actions of various gods, or the deeds of mighty heroes are all perfectly appropriate.
    Last edited by gabado; 2018-03-15 at 08:25 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by CardboardDragon View Post
    Jacira Bear's Eye will speak in Violet.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtatosky View Post
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1523617

Akkila, Tiefling paladin of the Lorbringers

And my character speak cholor will beeeeeee "THIS"

I also posted like 5 nonsense things so I could link this! Can't wait for the game to start!
    So we've got three of the five characters so far. I think I should post the starting point of the adventure, to help people finish their characters/round out some final details.

Spoiler: preamble
    Show
    Our story begins in the small coastal town of Harvuk, one of several towns that comprise the Beltlander nation of Jotun. The summer solstice has come and gone, bringing the first signs of autumn to the fields and forests that stretch across the rocky flood plain upon which Harvuk sits. It is a town of only a few hundred people. Life here is simple, the people are fishermen and farmers. Over the coming months, they will harvest, baking what bread can be made and storing the remaining grain in preparation for the long winter. All winter, the townsfolk will keep close to their hearths, living off stored grains and root vegetables and relying heavily on those fishermen brave enough to venture out upon Ruthva’err’s violent winter waters.

The coming of fall marks the last of the trade wagons that will be sent over the low hills that boarder Harvuk’s valley. Merchants eagerly load their carts with furs, oil, and ivory for trade with the inland towns that comprise the rest of Jotund. Final tithes are owed to Lord Buldon, baron of Jotun and protector of its people. These caravans are essential for Harvuk’s survival through the winter, they will return loaded with preserves the townsfolk rely on through the dark, cold months.

Some of you may have been in Harvuk for a while, some may have even grown up here, others may be newly arrived for the recent solstice festival. Whatever your reason for being in the town, you recognize that wintering here, in the claustrophobic mustiness of Harvuk’s many hovels is less than ideal. You have signed on with the last wagon heading out of the valley.

The wagon in question is owned by a stout, smelly merchant named Lubbud. He is middle aged, with a long, messy mustache and a balding pate of sooty-brown hair. Reluctant to be gone long from his shop, he has entrusted you with seeing his wares delivered to a fellow merchant named Albrecht Lans in Jotun's central city, Jotun-Heid. The wagon is loaded with furs and raw ivory, nothing of particular value on its own, but for trade, it will ensure that Lubbud’s family eats through the coming winter.

You have been promised 75 gold each for your efforts and, most importantly, free passage out of the valley before winter sets in.

I'll repost this in the IC thread along with the starting post, but I figure letting you know a bit about the journey before we begin is good (and likely appropriate given your characters would be unlikely to agree to something before knowing what it is they've agreed to.

Survival checks will be important in this game, as will nature, religion, and arcana.

For the priest and paladin, I think it would make sense that you know each other before this mission begins. bc56, you mentioned that you wanted Pierce to have a family. Perhaps he's settled down in Harvuk and his friend from his traveling days, Akkila has recently stopped into town to visit him. Maybe you decide together to go to Jotun-Heid to gather supplies for Pierce's family to last through the winter. I am very much amenable to you deciding on something else if that doesn't suit your taste.

I think it makes sense that Jacira and the bard would be accompanying the caravan as a convenient way to make it to the city before the winter snow blocks passage out of Harvuk's small valley.

For the sorcerer, given that Harvuk is a coastal community, it makes sense that a sea sorcerer would be somewhere in the vicinity. Perhaps you've grown tired of people thinking you're bewitching their boats, or maybe you're an important, integrated part of the fishing community here, ensuring good catches and calm waters. I'm open to whatever you're thinking for that.

Harvuk sits on the coast across a small sea from the Isles of Dawn. These islands are home to what remains of the elven kingdoms, and the waters here are navigated frequently by elven fishing vessels. Trade between Harvuk and the elves is common, so I think it makes a lot of sense that the half elves in the party are either decedents of the elves in this area or have come here in full or in part to be closer to their ancestors. The dominant religion in Harvuk is Truarbrog, the local priest prays to Myrian, god of calm seas and large fish. There are a one or two worshippers of Lor here, so the Lorbringer party members won't be completely out of their element, however the vast majority worship Myrian.

For reference, here is the fluff from the recruiting thread, so we can have it all in one place.

Spoiler: Background on the Skaldlands
    Show
    Far to the north, across the rugged and crooked Dolomite Hills lie the Skaldlands. Here magic, the Rhowross, flows through the world like a mighty and unrestrained river, connecting all things, from the lowliest snail to the mightiest Hrothbiest. Life here is often brutal and cold.

Great forests cover the majority of the Skaldlands, deep, impenetrable, and dark. What little farmland there is is held by jealous barons and zealously guarded. The people are stoney-faced and strong in constitution. To the far north, the colossal Kjalka Mountains rise, an impenetrable wall of snow, ice, wind, and certain death. To the east lies the Ruthva’err, the wild and turbulent sea of the elves. To the west, the Skaldlands are bordered by the Stormwrack, a bitter, black, roiling beast. Lonely mountains punctuate the landscape, sometimes inhabited by dwarves or trolls.

There are four distinct human cultures found in the Skaldlands. To the south, spreading from the foothills of the Dolomite Hills, the Lorbringers have taken root. They are the newest arrivals in the Skaldlands, pushed north to reap the bountiful natural resources of the Skaldlands. They worship a singular and mighty god, Lor. Their followers believe them to be the one true divine manifestation, all other devine phenomena are nothing more than the lowliest apostasy. Lorbringer nations live in relative peace with one another and Lorbringer missionaries have been relatively successful with converting members of surrounding nations to their unitary faith. Where peaceful missionary work has failed, various militant sects within the religion have waged brutal crusades against the Beltlanders, forcing conversions by the sword and brand, burning temples to heretical gods and raising alters to Lor in their place. This mix of brute violence and peaceful conversions has led to complicated trade relations with Beltlander nations. Due to the relatively fractured political fabric of the Beltlands, it is often common for a Lorbringer city state to form alliances with a Beltlander lord in order to wage a crusade against that lord’s rival.

The Beltlands gird the continent like a giant, fertile belt. It is here that the land is flat enough, the valleys wide enough, and the forests thin enough for the large-scale cultivation of crops. The Beltlanders live in constant conflict amongst one another and with the Lorbringers to the south. Their civilizations are rarely much larger than city states, their lords zealously guard their farmlands from incursion by neighboring barons. The peasants who work their fields are given protection and a promise of safety. It is expected that the lords protect their peasants from northern raiding parties, southern crusades and attacks from enemy states. They retain standing armies of hardened cavaliers. The horsemen of the Beltlands are renowned for their fell prowess and iron courage. Trade amongst city states and with Lorbringer and northman nations is common, but due to ever-shifting alliances and a propensity for betrayal, these compacts rarely last longer than a few seasons. The Beltlanders are loosely united by their shared faith, Truarbrog.

The Hrothrim is a collection of sovereign nations located in the northeast of the Skaldlands. The people who dwell here are called the Northmen. The nations that comprise it convein a semi-annual moot to vote on decisions impacting the region. There is often little conflict amongst the Northmen nations, who each elect a Hrimking to rule over them. The eastern-most Northman nations are predominantly fishermen and whalers, making their living amongst the jagged rocks and violent spray of Stormwrack. In the southwest, the northmen do what they can to cultivate crops, herd livestock, and smelt ore for trade with their eastern and northern kin. They live in relative peace with the Beltlander lords that border the Hrothrim, as well as the dwarves that dwell in the roots of the Kjalka mountains to their north. They often war with wild Trollkin that infest the twisted, dense forests of Hrothrim. The religion of the Northmen, Drekinntru centers primarily around the worship of ancient dragons, wyrms, and basilisks. They also worship concepts such as love, rage, sorrow, and joy, paying special homage to the concept of war embodied in a powerful warrior deity.

The Trollkin enhabit the impenetrable forests of the Skaldlands. Their clans are comprised of wild elves, men, and trolls, living amongst one another and worshiping forgotten, fell deities. Their religion, Kalpris centers around the violent worship of vile gods of death and oblivion. They have little interaction with the outside world, leaving their forests only for pillage and conquest. Intruders to their hunting grounds rarely live to tell of the horrible rights of dark magic the Trollkin perform under the darkness of tangled bows.

Beneath the mountains live the dwarves, little is known of their culture or ways in the outside world, seldom to they venture forth from their subterranean halls. The works they create are of the utmost craftsmanship, exquisitely wrought and without peer. It is said their smiths never bathe, letting the grease and soot from their massive forges coat their skin, making them one with the furnace they worship. The dwarves of the Skaldlands do not know magic as other races understand it, their priests, known as Morek, worship the forge and the mountains under which they reside. Through their worship, Morek are granted great insight into the true properties of flame and metal and stone. They craft items of immense magical potency, combining specific materials in ways other smiths cannot hope to replicate. The dwarves worship Kjalkorak, the mountain father. They are incredibly superstitious, believing elves to be the root cause of all ailments of the body and mind. They wage war upon the roots of trees, believing them to be elven spies, intent on infiltrating and destroying everything they have worked so hard to build. Most dwarves have never seen an elf.

The elves make their home amongst the scattered archipelagos of the Ruthva’err. They are a seafaring people, trading often with the Beltlanders. They were the first inhabitants of the Skaldlands, the ruins of their once mighty empires can be found across the Beltlands. Sagas tell of a haughty and self-assured people, believing themselves without peer. They looked inward for inspiration, forgetting their gods and building monuments to their own selfish achievements. The coming of the dragons and their worshipers, the ancestors of the Northmen, spelled ruin for the godless elves. Pushed back to the eastern isles, the elves lost a great deal of their power and knowledge. Their hubris has been shattered and they no longer attempt to rule, content only to contemplate their fate and observe the stars and aurora borealis in the heavens above. The elves that did remain on the continent found refuge in the dense forests that sprang from the blood-soaked ground of the mighty battles waged between the elves and dragons. These elves grew wild, sinister, and bloodthirsty, the first of the Trollkin.

Magic flows through the Skaldlands like a mighty current. It collects in certain areas of significance like great, unseen rapids, chaotic and churning. All things are connected by this flow and mages must be careful only to siphon off what power they need when casting a spell, lest they be overcome by the current and ground into oblivion like sand at the bottom of a waterfall.

When casting, mages must also be wary of the unintended consequences of their spells. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, use magic to thaw water in order to fish and a league or two away, an unnatural frost might settle upon the ground for a week or more. Use a spell to locate an object, and someone in the next town over might lose their most dearly prized possession. All things are in constant balance.

Spoiler: Religion
    Show
    Truarbrog, the religion of the Beltlands

Truarbrog is a loosely-ordered faith centered around the worship of a collection of powerful, anthropomorphized gods. Clerics typically devote themselves to one deity and serve their community as a sort of conduit for that chosen god. Sacrifices are regularly performed in order to ensure their god’s continued patronage.

These sacrifices are performed on specialized sacrificial poles, usually found at the center of a village. The smallest sacrificial poles are used by travelling clerics and double as walking sticks. Since a sacrifice must be hung from the pole without touching the ground, scale of sacrifice is ultimately dependent on how large of a pole the cleric can track down. The largest poles are carved from entire spruce trees and in sagas have been used to sacrifice giants and dragons. When performing the sacrifice, the priest slits the sacrificed creature’s throat and then hangs it from the pole. A bowl below catches the gore and the towns folk will take turns ritualistically “bathing” in the blood. Finally, the blood will be scattered across the fields and rivers to ensure plentiful harvests and fishing. The sacrificial animal is left on the pole for no more than a day or two, rancid meat is said to displease the gods. Once it begins to putrefy, the animal is taken down and ceremonially burned.

Travelling priests will often perform sacrifices for wayfarers, offering small squirrels or rabbits to the gods on behalf of a traveler. It is customary that a newly-blessed traveler will pay a small tithe of food or clothing to the priest to assist in their journey to help more communities and other travelers.

Given the highly fractured and politically turbulent nature of the Beltlands, there is no centralized religious organization. However, priests are universally regarded with respect and fear. Travelling priests especially evoke strong responses of terror in superstitious communities they visit. It is believed that the gods are always with these holy men and that transgressions against them can spell grave undoing for the aggressor.

The Tablets of Lor

As mentioned in the fluff, the Lorbringers practice a very different form of faith. Their religion centers around the worship of the one true god, Lor. Their message must be spread at all costs, heresy must be routed out, and the disbelievers should be punished. That said, this sort of hardline, brute-force evangelism is really only practiced by religious extremists. The majority of Lorbringers are peaceful, entrepreneurial people. Many immigrated north to escape the more theologically claustrophobic atmosphere of their central empire. They have come to establish trade routes into the Skaldlands and most are content to live in relative peace with the Beltlanders.

Star Worship

The Elves are a godless people, their “priests” spend their time contemplating the stars and attempting to divine wisdom from their infinite complexities. Through this study they gain insights into the workings of the very universe itself. While clerics are rare among elves, those that do practice this star worship are regarded with great respect and admiration.

Kjalkorak

The dwarves worship the mountains under which they reside. While names for the different mountain ranges may vary, the dwarves believe them all embodiments of the great Kjalkorak, the smith of the world. When Kjalkorak struck his anvil to form the mountains, the splintered shavings and sparks of metal that flew from it landed in the dirt at his feat and became the dwarves. Their priests explore the reaches of the mountains, contemplating the mineral deposits and ore veins to glean great insights.

Spoiler: classes in the Skaldlands
    Show
    all the classes exist in the Skaldlands. I will summarize shortly here their relative positions in the region where this game will take place, the Beltlands. These are only a jumping off point, my first impression of how a class might fit into the world. I am totally open to any reimagining or adaptation of any of this.

Barbarians: Barbarians are common in the Skaldlands. They are typically huntsmen, woodsmen, and fur traders. They provide crucial trade routes between various communities and often speak many languages. There are many Trollkin that are considered barbarians, though they seldom interact with the outside world except on raids and during times of war.

Bards: Bards are the lifeblood of the Skaldlands, they carry tales of epic and heroic deeds from community to community. They are regarded in the highest esteem. A bard is never without a hot meal, so long as they can tell a good tale.

Clerics: as mentioned in the section above on religion, clerics are an important part of community life in the Beltlands. They offer needed wisdom and ensure that the community is never without the favor of the gods.

Druids: druids are common among the elves and the Trollkin. They are powerful enchanters, featured prominently in folklore and fairy tales. They typically live far from civilization, but have been known to attack trappers that stray into their guarded realms.

Fighters: fighters are a dime a dozen in the Beltlands. Due to the constant political turmoil, a hired sword is never long without work.

Monks: monks are a bit rare in the Skaldlands. The Northmen are known for their mighty brawlers, and the wild elves of the Trollkin are said to be deadly masters of hand to hand combat, capable of taking down bears unarmed.

Paladins: paladins, like fighters are rather common, especially in Lorbringer communities. In the Beltlands they often accompany traveling priests or defend community churches during times of war.

Rangers: rangers, like barbarians are an important part of the trade and trapping communities in the Beltlands. They can often be found leading explorations into the densely wooded wildernesses that cover the land.

Rogues: rogues are common both in cities and on the highways between towns. They make their living taking from others and are looked down upon by the honorable Beltlanders. However, many Beltlander lords will employ their services to spy on or assassinate their enemy lords, making them an essential component in the Beltlands' political fabric.

Sorcerers: sorcerers are feared across the land. Stories are told about how they eat infants, burn villages, and spread plague. These tales are greatly over-exaggerated, most sorcerers are hermits, content to live off the land in solitude.

Wizards: wizards are highly respected by the communities they serve. They often use their magic to protect townships and fend off attacks from wild beasts and interlopers.

Warlocks: warlocks live in deep hollows and lairs in dark forests. At leasts, that's what the legends say. They are believed to have formed powerful pacts with ancient demons and are not to be trusted. That said, many confuse them with sorcerers and vice versa, there is a lot of conflating and uninformative information on the topic.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, this can be Pierce's home (but not hometown, he's from further south). Your suggestion makes good sense.

@mtatosky
    We need to discuss how Pierce and Akkila know each other, maybe some shared experiences while traveling.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #13

Planetar

Hey everyone!

Introducing Tethys Seaborn, the Salt Witch (Sea Sorceror) - https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1523642

Tethys has lived on the coast in a driftwood hut for as long as she can remember. Her door, in fact, is constructed from the very same scrap of shipwreck she washed up on during a storm. She has no memory of her childhood or her parents, everything before the maelstorm that brought her to the shore is a roaring blank. For the past several decades, she has maintained a quiet life against the sea, letting the waves and the ocean's bounty provide for her daily needs. Her clothing is salt-stained hide and shell stitched together from the carcasses of sharks, whales, turtles, and other creatures that wash up on shore and she has strands of seaweed woven into her hair, which itself is stained white from the salt, as is her skin which is grey of varying hues, as if the dark waves themselves have been etched across her. Her eyes, though, are the deep blue of the ocean, and pierce those she encounters with an uncanny energy. She also wears a circlet of salt crystals, shells, and wave-smoothed rocks that glow, shimmer, and leak saltwater when she weaves her magic.

Tethys has learned to avoid conflict by either negotiation or deception, preferring to be left alone with the sounds of waves and gulls as her only companions. She does, however, entertain visitors who come to her seeking knowledge, a blessing, or rescue from the ravages of tempests blowing in from the ocean. She has developed a reputation as a good luck charm for local sailors and fishermen, many of whom she has saved over the years from drowning or from the creatures of the sea and shore who threatened their livelihood, driving them off with her magic. Many others see her as a cursed witch, though, and so she occasionally has to defend herself from the superstitious or violent.

Tethys has felt the pull of the shore increasing in the past few years, something in the seas urging her inland to a calling she doesn't fully understand. Between the push of the sea and a desire to finally understand where she comes from, she has headed away from the ocean, leaving her driftwood hut behind and entering parts unknown for the first time in her life. She is self-possessed and assured, a confidence born of many years of independence. Quick witted and silver-tongued, she is able to empathize and charm many whom she meets, lying only if necessary or if it suits her aims.

Her self-confidence belies an awkwardness with civilization and with social niceties, not having grown up in a community or with a family. She can be rudely direct or directly rude, not understanding the vagaries of manners and "laws" that don't adhere to basic decency and morality.

She will speak with this colour.

14. - Top - End - #14

Planetar

For the sorcerer, given that Harvuk is a coastal community, it makes sense that a sea sorcerer would be somewhere in the vicinity. Perhaps you've grown tired of people thinking you're bewitching their boats, or maybe you're an important, integrated part of the fishing community here, ensuring good catches and calm waters. I'm open to whatever you're thinking for that.

Harvuk sits on the coast across a small sea from the Isles of Dawn. These islands are home to what remains of the elven kingdoms, and the waters here are navigated frequently by elven fishing vessels. Trade between Harvuk and the elves is common, so I think it makes a lot of sense that the half elves in the party are either decedents of the elves in this area or have come here in full or in part to be closer to their ancestors. The dominant religion in Harvuk is Truarbrog, the local priest prays to Myrian, god of calm seas and large fish. There are a one or two worshippers of Lor here, so the Lorbringer party members won't be completely out of their element, however the vast majority worship Myrian.
    Tethys has long been something of a contentious figure for Harvuk. She lives about half a day's travel from the town proper in her driftwood hut, and over the years many fishermen have been saved from drowning via her intervention. Some sailors and traders even occasionally approach her directly, seeking her aid in getting their ships bailed out, their overboards rescued, or pirates scared off. Some locals also occasionally entreat her for her blessing, and she uses her more witch-like abilities (Suggestion + Disguise Self) to influence events or provide therapy to those who ask. This has given her something of a reputation as a cursed manipulator, but since she has saved so many townsfolk and their children over the years, her presence is tolerated.

Lately, she has wandered into town and taken up the merchant's offer to travel inland, so some villagers are bemoaning their ill fortune while others are secretly celebrating the impending departure of Harvuk's shameful secret.

15. - Top - End - #15

RedKnightGirl

Character sheet is done! Thunder in the Morning, aka Thunder, the tabaxi Lore bard. She'll speak in this color.

Also, random Google doc that's basically my 'notes sheet' for her, right here. Read at own risk, extremely messy.
    Last edited by saltstorming; 2018-03-15 at 01:26 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Character sheet is done! Thunder in the Morning, aka Thunder, the tabaxi Lore bard. She'll speak in this color.
    Looks great. It’d be cool if you wanted to come up with some tabaxi folklore or myths to share with party members and npc’s you meet. I posted some sample stories for you to use, or adapt as you see fit.
    Last edited by gabado; 2018-03-15 at 01:30 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

RedKnightGirl

Looks great. It’d be cool if you wanted to come up with some tabaxi folklore or myths to share with party members and npc’s you meet.
    Oh, that'd be fun. Their deity is a being known as the Cat Lord, who I imagine the tabaxi might have a lot of stories about, as they're a trickster god and I could easily piggyback off other trickster folklore for ideas. Actually, this'd probably help me a lot with how the clan view religion, if they're less of a 'my deity can do no wrong' type than a 'my deity does awesome stuff, but they still have flaws' type. As a non-religious person, that'd really help me to find a relating factor.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Yeah, this can be Pierce's home (but not hometown, he's from further south). Your suggestion makes good sense.

@mtatosky
    We need to discuss how Pierce and Akkila know each other, maybe some shared experiences while traveling.
    Happily will discuss that, I like to write up more of a vague backstory and build off of that instead of getting it cemented in stone so my Paladin will be very flexible story wise (I know isn't that funny) Mostly because seeing how I play her and how the group will interact is the more important part.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Happily will discuss that, I like to write up more of a vague backstory and build off of that instead of getting it cemented in stone so my Paladin will be very flexible story wise (I know isn't that funny) Mostly because seeing how I play her and how the group will interact is the more important part.
    The big thing is, she probably remembers his trial. A nearby town didn't want a Lorbringer priest proselytizing in their land, so the townsfolk accused him of burglary. When they couldn't frame him well enough, he was released. It's a funny story he occasionally tells, but she would've been there for it.

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hi, I'm new to this. I'm thinking on having a rogue if thats not too out of place.

I'm thinking on having my character have a family like Pierce. I'd like the possibility of them entering the story at some point, so where do you think they should be located.

How do you put text in color?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

The big thing is, she probably remembers his trial. A nearby town didn't want a Lorbringer priest proselytizing in their land, so the townsfolk accused him of burglary. When they couldn't frame him well enough, he was released. It's a funny story he occasionally tells, but she would've been there for it.
    Heh, Thats perfect, I'll write it up that Akkila was there and ready to step in if it got really dangerous, but for the most part She'll roll her eyes when he goes into telling his story and back him up with, "Yes, you certainly outsmarted those uneducated villagers."

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Leostales View Post
    Hi, I'm new to this. I'm thinking on having a rogue if thats not too out of place.

I'm thinking on having my character have a family like Pierce. I'd like the possibility of them entering the story at some point, so where do you think they should be located.

How do you put text in color?
    The color button is the large "A" located next to the smily face and the size scroll bar at the top of the text window. alternatively you can look up how to code colors into a forum using HTML commands.

Rogues are often feared and mistrusted in the Skaldlands, they are highway men, burglars, spies, and assassins. Alternatively, you could build your rogue as a very stealthy hunter, using the assassin build to make someone good at camouflage and stalking their prey.

Having a family is totally doable. I have several ideas of how to incorporate your family into the adventure, likely the easiest way to accomplish this would be either to have you traveling to them, in Jotun-Heid, or leaving them behind, in Harvuk and planning to return to them with the return caravan and Pierce before the winter sets in.

If you want to be an established member of Harvuk's community, being a hunter would probably be the best way to accomplish it. A thief would likely have a hard time of it in such a small town. If you wanted to play a burglar/standard criminal archetype, being from the city would make sense, perhaps you fled to Harvuk some time last year to escape the authorities, and are now returning home to your family, hoping that the guards are no longer looking for you.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

The color button is the large "A" located next to the smily face and the size scroll bar at the top of the text window. alternatively you can look up how to code colors into a forum using HTML commands.

Rogues are often feared and mistrusted in the Skaldlands, they are highway men, burglars, spies, and assassins. Alternatively, you could build your rogue as a very stealthy hunter, using the assassin build to make someone good at camouflage and stalking their prey.

Having a family is totally doable. I have several ideas of how to incorporate your family into the adventure, likely the easiest way to accomplish this would be either to have you traveling to them, in Jotun-Heid, or leaving them behind, in Harvuk and planning to return to them with the return caravan and Pierce before the winter sets in.

If you want to be an established member of Harvuk's community, being a hunter would probably be the best way to accomplish it. A thief would likely have a hard time of it in such a small town. If you wanted to play a burglar/standard criminal archetype, being from the city would make sense, perhaps you fled to Harvuk some time last year to escape the authorities, and are now returning home to your family, hoping that the guards are no longer looking for you.
    I think I like the option of having my family in Harvuk and fleeing there. My family isn't going to be that large, just my aging father, beautiful wife, and very young son (both my wife and father have done work as criminals before now.)

I'm thinking on having my background be a mix of the charlatan background and the outlander background, so that my character is actually a criminal but poses as a hunter.

I still need to make the sheet and come up with the name. I will speak in this color

24. - Top - End - #24

I think I like the option of having my family in Harvuk and fleeing there. My family isn't going to be that large, just my aging father, beautiful wife, and very young son (both my wife and father have done work as criminals before now.)

I'm thinking on having my background be a mix of the charlatan background and the outlander background, so that my character is actually a criminal but poses as a hunter.

I still need to make the sheet and come up with the name. I will speak in this color
    okay, so your family lives in Harvuk and you fled back to them from Jotun-Heid to escape capture. Perhaps you're going back to the city to do another job or maybe meet up with a former contact/fellow thief.

I think what might be compelling is that you were brought up by your father in Jotun-Heid as part of a criminal organization, you met your wife there and when she became pregnant, the three of you decided to leave to raise the child and care for your father in a safer, simpler place. Either due to lack of aptitude as a hunter, lack of profitability from the hunting life, or desire to return to your criminal ways, you're returning to the city to pursue a new criminal exploit. It might be interesting to have your wife and father not know the true reason for your trip, perhaps they think you're going to get supplies for them through the winter and do not know about the heist/robbery you're planning with a few former contacts in Jotun-Heid's underworld.

If that doesn't float your boat, I'm open to whatever would work better, I just think it'd fit nicely in with the starting point of the story and would give you some concrete ties at both ends of the journey.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

okay, so your family lives in Harvuk and you fled back to them from Jotun-Heid to escape capture. Perhaps you're going back to the city to do another job or maybe meet up with a former contact/fellow thief.

I think what might be compelling is that you were brought up by your father in Jotun-Heid as part of a criminal organization, you met your wife there and when she became pregnant, the three of you decided to leave to raise the child and care for your father in a safer, simpler place. Either due to lack of aptitude as a hunter, lack of profitability from the hunting life, or desire to return to your criminal ways, you're returning to the city to pursue a new criminal exploit. It might be interesting to have your wife and father not know the true reason for your trip, perhaps they think you're going to get supplies for them through the winter and do not know about the heist/robbery you're planning with a few former contacts in Jotun-Heid's underworld.

If that doesn't float your boat, I'm open to whatever would work better, I just think it'd fit nicely in with the starting point of the story and would give you some concrete ties at both ends of the journey.
    That's perfect. What are dominant religions in Harvuk and Jotun-heid respectively?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I am so excited for this game, I can't wait to see how it goes! Do we have a start date?

27. - Top - End - #27

That's perfect. What are dominant religions in Harvuk and Jotun-heid respectively?
    both communities, along with the majority of the Beltlands (the overall region where the story takes place) are predominantly peopled by devotees of Truarbrog.

Spoiler: Truarbrog
    Show
    Truarbrog is a loosely-ordered faith centered around the worship of a collection of powerful, anthropomorphized gods. Clerics typically devote themselves to one deity and serve their community as a sort of conduit for that chosen god. Sacrifices are regularly performed in order to ensure their god’s continued patronage.

These sacrifices are performed on specialized sacrificial poles, usually found at the center of a village. The smallest sacrificial poles are used by travelling clerics and double as walking sticks. Since a sacrifice must be hung from the pole without touching the ground, scale of sacrifice is ultimately dependent on how large of a pole the cleric can track down. The largest poles are carved from entire spruce trees and in sagas have been used to sacrifice giants and dragons. When performing the sacrifice, the priest slits the sacrificed creature’s throat and then hangs it from the pole. A bowl below catches the gore and the towns folk will take turns ritualistically “bathing” in the blood. Finally, the blood will be scattered across the fields and rivers to ensure plentiful harvests and fishing. The sacrificial animal is left on the pole for no more than a day or two, rancid meat is said to displease the gods. Once it begins to putrefy, the animal is taken down and ceremonially burned.

Travelling priests will often perform sacrifices for wayfarers, offering small squirrels or rabbits to the gods on behalf of a traveler. It is customary that a newly-blessed traveler will pay a small tithe of food or clothing to the priest to assist in their journey to help more communities and other travelers.

Given the highly fractured and politically turbulent nature of the Beltlands, there is no centralized religious organization. However, priests are universally regarded with respect and fear. Travelling priests especially evoke strong responses of terror in superstitious communities they visit. It is believed that the gods are always with these holy men and that transgressions against them can spell grave undoing for the aggressor.

The specific patron deity worshiped by the people of Harvuk is Myrian, god of calm seas and good catches. In Jotun-Heid there are several prominent gods, but the personal patron deity of Lord Buldon, baron of the nation of Jotun, is Inar, goddess of fertile sheep and bountiful pastures.

The lore of this game is still a living document, I'm updating things to incorporate players' various interests and character concepts, so if you would like to worship your own patron god, or be a Lorbringer like our paladin and cleric that's totally available too. There are also the more violent, brutal religions of the Trollkin (the people and creatures who live far from conventional society in the twisted forests of Skaldland's vast wilderness. If you'd like to play an elf, you are likely without a god, the elves having lost contact with their deities in ages past, you would likely be either without formalized religion or a stargazer, intent on discerning what knowledge can be gained from the small tears in the fabric of reality your gods left behind when they departed. Dwarves worship the mountains under which they live, so if you wanted to play a dwarf, far from your home, that's an avenue that is open to you as well.

I am so excited for this game, I can't wait to see how it goes! Do we have a start date?
    Once Leostales finishes his character, the party should be all good to go. Saltstorming mentioned that she is in a play currently and won't be free till saturday, so I figured I'd kick things off at the earliest tomorrow to make sure everyone is available for the first couple posts.
    Last edited by gabado; 2018-03-16 at 01:54 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I think that there is some organization (law enforcement, rival thieves guild, I'll leave it up to you) that has been harrassing my family and driving us deep in debt. All my jobs are focused on getting money for them. (The reason I favor crime to hunting is its more profitable).

My character has two "faces" to him. During downtime, or conversations he's generally very friendly, often saying something light-hearted or laughing at a story told by the bard. But during combat, and/or serious matters he is often deadly serious.

My son's to young to speak, let alone interact with other players, so he's more of a "fixture" than an NPC. My "dad" is actually an elf wizard who I've known as long as I can remember and he and I often don't see eye to an eye (we have similar principles, but very different ways of acting on them) for instance, if he thought it would better protect the family, he might turn me into the authorities when I'm planning a heist. Because of this, I think you should RP him. (I can pm you details when needed).

The name I've chosen is Muun (pronounced "moon") Jatenson.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

both communities, along with the majority of the Beltlands (the overall region where the story takes place) are predominantly peopled by devotees of Truarbrog.

Spoiler: Truarbrog
    Show

The specific patron deity worshiped by the people of Harvuk is Myrian, god of calm seas and good catches. In Jotun-Heid there are several prominent gods, but the personal patron deity of Lord Buldon, baron of the nation of Jotun, is Inar, goddess of fertile sheep and bountiful pastures.

The lore of this game is still a living document, I'm updating things to incorporate players' various interests and character concepts, so if you would like to worship your own patron god, or be a Lorbringer like our paladin and cleric that's totally available too. There are also the more violent, brutal religions of the Trollkin (the people and creatures who live far from conventional society in the twisted forests of Skaldland's vast wilderness. If you'd like to play an elf, you are likely without a god, the elves having lost contact with their deities in ages past, you would likely be either without formalized religion or a stargazer, intent on discerning what knowledge can be gained from the small tears in the fabric of reality your gods left behind when they departed. Dwarves worship the mountains under which they live, so if you wanted to play a dwarf, far from your home, that's an avenue that is open to you as well.

Once Leostales finishes his character, the party should be all good to go. Saltstorming mentioned that she is in a play currently and won't be free till saturday, so I figured I'd kick things off at the earliest tomorrow to make sure everyone is available for the first couple posts.
    I'll try to think of a patron deity for my family (probably one that has to do with criminals). I'll try to finish my character as soon as possible hopefully by this evening.

btw, I have karate from 9-10 a.m. central tomorrow, so I won't be able to post within a half hour of that time area.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh, Thats perfect, I'll write it up that Akkila was there and ready to step in if it got really dangerous, but for the most part She'll roll her eyes when he goes into telling his story and back him up with, "Yes, you certainly outsmarted those uneducated villagers."
    If only there was a thumbs-up smiley.

My Nexus characters