Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 502
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Leostales View Post
    I think that there is some organization (law enforcement, rival thieves guild, I'll leave it up to you) that has been harrassing my family and driving us deep in debt. All my jobs are focused on getting money for them. (The reason I favor crime to hunting is its more profitable).

    My character has two "faces" to him. During downtime, or conversations he's generally very friendly, often saying something light-hearted or laughing at a story told by the bard. But during combat, and/or serious matters he is often deadly serious.

    My son's to young to speak, let alone interact with other players, so he's more of a "fixture" than an NPC. My "dad" is actually an elf wizard who I've known as long as I can remember and he and I often don't see eye to an eye (we have similar principles, but very different ways of acting on them) for instance, if he thought it would better protect the family, he might turn me into the authorities when I'm planning a heist. Because of this, I think you should RP him. (I can pm you details when needed).

    The name I've chosen is Muun (pronounced "moon") Jatenson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leostales View Post
    I'll try to think of a patron deity for my family (probably one that has to do with criminals). I'll try to finish my character as soon as possible hopefully by this evening.

    btw, I have karate from 9-10 a.m. central tomorrow, so I won't be able to post within a half hour of that time area.
    Okay, I'll keep that in mind about the timing. In general, I'm going to try to post at least once a day, though if everyone has responded to my post, I can make a second post. I think keeping to the once a day format will be easiest for everyone to keep up with.

    As for the organization putting pressure on you, I think it might be interesting if the house and land you purchased when moving to Harvuk with your family was bought with a loan. Unfortunately, this loan has grown in value, as your hunting rarely returns enough money for you to be able to pay of the principal of your debt. Recently Ren Bradbruk, the merchant who owns the other end of your debt has been sending goons to harass your young family. If he forces you to default on the loan, you will be destitute, your family will have no roof over their heads and with winter on the horizon, you're worried about what that could mean for your infant son. There isn't much of value to steal in the small town, and your "father" greatly disproves of your former life.

    Several weeks ago, Minnow, an old contact from your days as a thief in the city, stopped through on her way to town. She told you about a heist she is planning in Jotun-Heid and asked you in hushed tones to help her out. Lubbod's caravan should arrive a few days before Minnow's heist is planned to take place, and you're fairly confident that you should be able to return with the caravan, bringing enough money and food for your family to survive the winter and perhaps even pay off your debts. Minnow was reluctant to tell you the full scope of the plan, but she promised considerable returns if the effort is successful. You will go to Jotun-Heid under the auspices of purchasing supplies and earning some money to pay off your debts, likely leaving your father and wife in the dark about the nature of your trip.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by gabado View Post
    Okay, I'll keep that in mind about the timing. In general, I'm going to try to post at least once a day, though if everyone has responded to my post, I can make a second post. I think keeping to the once a day format will be easiest for everyone to keep up with.

    As for the organization putting pressure on you, I think it might be interesting if the house and land you purchased when moving to Harvuk with your family was bought with a loan. Unfortunately, this loan has grown in value, as your hunting rarely returns enough money for you to be able to pay of the principal of your debt. Recently Ren Bradbruk, the merchant who owns the other end of your debt has been sending goons to harass your young family. If he forces you to default on the loan, you will be destitute, your family will have no roof over their heads and with winter on the horizon, you're worried about what that could mean for your infant son. There isn't much of value to steal in the small town, and your "father" greatly disproves of your former life.

    Several weeks ago, Minnow, an old contact from your days as a thief in the city, stopped through on her way to town. She told you about a heist she is planning in Jotun-Heid and asked you in hushed tones to help her out. Lubbod's caravan should arrive a few days before Minnow's heist is planned to take place, and you're fairly confident that you should be able to return with the caravan, bringing enough money and food for your family to survive the winter and perhaps even pay off your debts. Minnow was reluctant to tell you the full scope of the plan, but she promised considerable returns if the effort is successful. You will go to Jotun-Heid under the auspices of purchasing supplies and earning some money to pay off your debts, likely leaving your father and wife in the dark about the nature of your trip.
    Sounds good, except "dad" doesn't so much disapprove of my former life (he used to be a criminal too), as he does drawing attention to myself (my "dad's" done a lot of shandy stuff and doesn't want to be found).

    I think I'm going to rp my wife if that's ok. Also, my "Father" and I don't get along much anymore. This is partly due to the fact that he wanted me to practice magic instead of getting married and I essentially ruined his plans to become a major crimelord by having us leave the guild. Although he does care for the family, since he hopes my son can become his apprentice, the main reason he stays with us is to hide from his old enemies.

    For my sub-class I'm not going to do Arcane Trickster (the in-game reason is that I don't trust magic and I also do this to spite my father) I'm thinking Assassin or Thief, but most-likely thief since the character maker I use doesn't allow assassin for some reason.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    I'm thinking on having a basic character sheet done on orcpub with rules statistics. and a google doc with personality and other notes.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    How does point buy work again? I can't find it in the players handbook.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Leostales View Post
    Sounds good, except "dad" doesn't so much disapprove of my former life (he used to be a criminal too), as he does drawing attention to myself (my "dad's" done a lot of shandy stuff and doesn't want to be found).

    I think I'm going to rp my wife if that's ok. Also, my "Father" and I don't get along much anymore. This is partly due to the fact that he wanted me to practice magic instead of getting married and I essentially ruined his plans to become a major crimelord by having us leave the guild. Although he does care for the family, since he hopes my son can become his apprentice, the main reason he stays with us is to hide from his old enemies.

    For my sub-class I'm not going to do Arcane Trickster (the in-game reason is that I don't trust magic and I also do this to spite my father) I'm thinking Assassin or Thief, but most-likely thief since the character maker I use doesn't allow assassin for some reason.
    That works, you don't have to worry about making a char sheet for your father, though he'd probably be around 5th or 6th level at most. It works well to have me play him and it's fine for you to run your wife.

    Assassin works well for the hunter theme, though the thief fits more into that rudimentary backstory. Although we could rework it to be an assassination plot, not a heist that Minnow is asking you to help out with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leostales View Post
    I'm thinking on having a basic character sheet done on orcpub with rules statistics. and a google doc with personality and other notes.
    whatever suits your need. most people use mythweavers, i've had success with the tangled web as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leostales View Post
    How does point buy work again? I can't find it in the players handbook.
    this is a good point buy calculator.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by gabado View Post
    That works, you don't have to worry about making a char sheet for your father, though he'd probably be around 5th or 6th level at most. It works well to have me play him and it's fine for you to run your wife.

    Assassin works well for the hunter theme, though the thief fits more into that rudimentary backstory. Although we could rework it to be an assassination plot, not a heist that Minnow is asking you to help out with.



    whatever suits your need. most people use mythweavers, i've had success with the tangled web as well.



    this is a good point buy calculator.
    Ok, when I've completed my character I will post it.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    For starting money, I'm thinking that I won't have too much since I'm in debt. So I'll just have 10gp and some extra equipment.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Leostales View Post
    For starting money, I'm thinking that I won't have too much since I'm in debt. So I'll just have 10gp and some extra equipment.
    That makes sense, take a thieves pack, some armor and a weapon or two and you should be good.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Leostales View Post
    I'll try to think of a patron deity for my family (probably one that has to do with criminals). I'll try to finish my character as soon as possible hopefully by this evening.
    Is it ok if I come up with the details of my patron deity?

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Leostales View Post
    Is it ok if I come up with the details of my patron deity?
    Totally, just keep it on theme with the general Norse/Celtic theology of the beltlanders. Sacrifice of some sort should be important to your deity, it could be melting down money, sacrificing an animal, ritual scarification, or an agreement with your deity like “I will never draw my sword without then shedding blood” or something significant like that that would require focus and intention from the devotee.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by gabado View Post
    Totally, just keep it on theme with the general Norse/Celtic theology of the beltlanders. Sacrifice of some sort should be important to your deity, it could be melting down money, sacrificing an animal, ritual scarification, or an agreement with your deity like “I will never draw my sword without then shedding blood” or something significant like that that would require focus and intention from the devotee.

    Spoiler: Ranarga
    Show
    I'm thinking the deity's form would be a giant rat. Its name is Ranarga and is the patron deity of thieves and assassins. Neutral Evil. Its priests are wererats (unless their not in he setting) that when they aren't travelling, operate as leaders of fanatic cults that pillage for them. They often visit towns disguised as a priest of some other deity (which they generally have enough knowledge to pass off as) they will use thieves cant to let worshippers know of is true fealty. Ranarga doesn't actually take sacrifices (only the priests know this) But the priests will often ask for coins from each of the followers for their own selfish desires. (the poorer the follower the more money required) If the designated amount isn't payed, the priest will threaten to call down the wrath of Ranarga (which is useless) If they still don't pay, the priest will contact his cultists and have them give the follower grief until the amount is payed. The jatensons are devout (but not fanatic) followers of Ranarga and are often taken advantage of by the priests. Gralkhan (the father) hides his presence from them since he is in hiding.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    My character https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1526181 is basically done. You can open the IC thread if you want.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Leostales View Post
    Spoiler: Ranarga
    Show
    I'm thinking the deity's form would be a giant rat. Its name is Ranarga and is the patron deity of thieves and assassins. Neutral Evil. Its priests are wererats (unless their not in he setting) that when they aren't travelling, operate as leaders of fanatic cults that pillage for them. They often visit towns disguised as a priest of some other deity (which they generally have enough knowledge to pass off as) they will use thieves cant to let worshippers know of is true fealty. Ranarga doesn't actually take sacrifices (only the priests know this) But the priests will often ask for coins from each of the followers for their own selfish desires. (the poorer the follower the more money required) If the designated amount isn't payed, the priest will threaten to call down the wrath of Ranarga (which is useless) If they still don't pay, the priest will contact his cultists and have them give the follower grief until the amount is payed. The jatensons are devout (but not fanatic) followers of Ranarga and are often taken advantage of by the priests. Gralkhan (the father) hides his presence from them since he is in hiding.
    There are more details Id like to add, but Im going to bed soon. If there's anything that doesnt work foe the setting let me know.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Leostales View Post
    There are more details Id like to add, but Im going to bed soon. If there's anything that doesnt work foe the setting let me know.
    I like it a lot. likely most people would believe the religion a superstition or conspiracy like our world's illuminati. There will be some old grandmothers who tell spooky stories late at night to scared children about the village priest being nothing more than a cloth bag filled with thousands of rats mascaraing as a man. In times past, when rat plagues sweep across the land, churches and temples are purged of those with ratlike features, commoners believing them to be disciples of Ranarga, the Moon Rat.

    Given Gralkan's history with the cult, perhaps he's developed a healthy phobia of rodents.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Mar 2018

    Thumbs up Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    I also wish there was a way to thumbs up posts, you guys are awesome what interesting story concepts you have come up with!

    THUMBS UP TO ALL OF YOU!

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by mtatosky View Post
    I also wish there was a way to thumbs up posts, you guys are awesome what interesting story concepts you have come up with!

    THUMBS UP TO ALL OF YOU!
    Why thanks☺

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bc56's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    I'm ready to start.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

    Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    I'm ready to start.
    Me too, I'm still fine tuning my character a little bit, but I think I'm ready to start playing.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by gabado View Post
    I like it a lot. likely most people would believe the religion a superstition or conspiracy like our world's illuminati. There will be some old grandmothers who tell spooky stories late at night to scared children about the village priest being nothing more than a cloth bag filled with thousands of rats mascaraing as a man. In times past, when rat plagues sweep across the land, churches and temples are purged of those with ratlike features, commoners believing them to be disciples of Ranarga, the Moon Rat.

    Given Gralkan's history with the cult, perhaps he's developed a healthy phobia of rodents.
    That's cool. So the reason that Ranarga doesn't take sacrifices, is because he doesn't need to. He gets his power from people stealing or murdering, so actually the priests cheating the followers out of their money does give him power. He almost always answers prayers, however. Especially if the follower is about to steal or kill someone.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bc56's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Pierce is going to be really fun to play. He's the dwarfiest half elf ever. Probably the dwarfiest character I've played (I don't play dwarves much)
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

    Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    IC is up and running.

    Lubbud is friendly with Pierce, and knows the hunter through association. He knows of the Sea Witch, though isn't sure exactly how to treat her and will likely try to avoid eye contact as much as possible. He hasn't decided yet if her presence is a blessing or a curse on the journey, and doesn't want to do anything that might anger her.

    The rest of you have met him once before, when you accepted the job, but have likely not been formally introduced to one another. It's up to you if you want your family members to come see you off.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Great, I'm ready to go.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by gabado View Post
    IC is up and running.

    Lubbud is friendly with Pierce, and knows the hunter through association. He knows of the Sea Witch, though isn't sure exactly how to treat her and will likely try to avoid eye contact as much as possible. He hasn't decided yet if her presence is a blessing or a curse on the journey, and doesn't want to do anything that might anger her.

    The rest of you have met him once before, when you accepted the job, but have likely not been formally introduced to one another. It's up to you if you want your family members to come see you off.
    Lubbud's not the merchant that's been bothering me, right? (Because I think it would make sense to have the one whose bothering me be a different merchant)

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Leostales View Post
    Lubbud's not the merchant that's been bothering me, right? (Because I think it would make sense to have the one whose bothering me be a different merchant)
    No he’s not, the merchant who’s been bothering you is a big time fish monger named Ren Bradbrook. Lubbud is small time and not the sort of person to try to take someone’s home.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

    dope avatar Lomp, the Horse by Honest Tiefling

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bc56's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    The intro only mentions the hunter and Pierce. What about the sorceress and paladiness and bard?
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-03-17 at 12:09 PM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

    Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    The intro only mentions the hunter and Pierce. What about the sorceress and paladiness?
    They’re there as well. Lubbud only knows the priest and the hunter, but everyone is in attendance, sorry I can edit it to make that more clear.
    Last edited by gabado; 2018-03-17 at 12:11 PM.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

    dope avatar Lomp, the Horse by Honest Tiefling

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Leostales View Post
    My character https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1526181 is basically done. You can open the IC thread if you want.
    This character sheet doesn't appear to be open to public viewing, it just goes to a locked page window when I click on it.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

    dope avatar Lomp, the Horse by Honest Tiefling

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by gabado View Post
    This character sheet doesn't appear to be open to public viewing, it just goes to a locked page window when I click on it.
    Sorry, I thought i'd fixed that. Obviously not. It should be working now.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Since Pierce and I both have families living in Harvuk, should we know each other well, or not.

    I think that's a good question in general, how do our characters relate to another.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by gabado View Post
    No he’s not, the merchant who’s been bothering you is a big time fish monger named Ren Bradbrook. Lubbud is small time and not the sort of person to try to take someone’s home.
    Ok, that sounds good.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •