New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (IC)

We sat and waited for you, Thundar grew impatient and rushed off into the woods herself, there has been no sign of her since. After waiting without seeing you a majestic Elk ran through our clearing. We all decided we could not ignore this sign, as the Elk was a beautiful creature. It led us through the evening here to this clearing.
    As Pierce tried to pull out that Ax he was assaulted by a man who seems to have gone crazy in this forest. I have laid him to rest, then you Appeared. I am glad you are unhurt, have you found out where we are?

Akkila looks over Muuns wounds further, seeing if he needs more aid or if any of his wounds have festered.

Spoiler: medicine
    Show
    (1d20+1)[15]

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mtatosky View Post
    We sat and waited for you, Thundar grew impatient and rushed off into the woods herself, there has been no sign of her since. After waiting without seeing you a majestic Elk ran through our clearing. We all decided we could not ignore this sign, as the Elk was a beautiful creature. It led us through the evening here to this clearing.
    As Pierce tried to pull out that Ax he was assaulted by a man who seems to have gone crazy in this forest. I have laid him to rest, then you Appeared. I am glad you are unhurt, have you found out where we are?

Akkila looks over Muuns wounds further, seeing if he needs more aid or if any of his wounds have festered.

Spoiler: medicine
    Show
    [roll0]
    "Alas, I have no idea where we are. The sea creature informed me that it would give the secret to escaping, but I do not think it did. Although the ring may have something to do with it."

3. - Top - End - #303

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Leostales View Post
    "Alas, I have no idea where we are. The sea creature informed me that it would give the secret to escaping, but I do not think it did. Although the ring may have something to do with it."
    A sea creature? Tethys exclaims, her head whipping up and eyes suddenly narrowing in acute interest. What beast of the salt and wet spoke to you? What words did it have? Tell me all!

4. - Top - End - #304

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by atlastrembles View Post
    A sea creature? Tethys exclaims, her head whipping up and eyes suddenly narrowing in acute interest. What beast of the salt and wet spoke to you? What words did it have? Tell me all!
    I saw this ring in the water. It seemed shallow enough so I tried to grab it. However hard I tried, I could not reach the ring. Eventually I met the creature (it looked like a big fish) It said it would inspect my soul's worthiness and if I was indeed worthy, I would receive the ring. It also said I would receive the first key to escape wherever we are. My soul was indeed worthy but I couldn't make much sense out of the clue it gave me:
    Is the ring in the forest lake made of gold or silver?
    The question is a trick, the answer is 'neither'

I never saw it again. Do you recognize this?" asks Muun showing her the ring.
    Last edited by Leostales; 2018-04-01 at 04:35 PM.

5. - Top - End - #305

Muun’s wounds have begun to fester, but with a steady hand, Akkila washes them clean with water from her water skin and sews them together with her handy tackle box. She applies a new poultice to help ease the healing process. It’s not perfect, Muun’s shoulder will certainly bear these scars for the rest of his life, but he won’t die of infection.

Akkila notices that the ring Muun holds out to Tethys bears the same mark as the one on the axe and the dead paladin’s soiled cuirass.
    Last edited by gabado; 2018-04-01 at 07:02 PM.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

dope avatar Lomp, the Horse by Honest Tiefling

6. - Top - End - #306
    Troll in the Playground

Pierce looks at the symbol on the axe and ring. "I wonder what it means." He then focuses on the axe, praying to Lor for information about its nature.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Casting Identify
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #307

RedWizardGuy

"I would like to hear more of your story," says Muun. "By the way, I left the Deer Meat near the lake, so it looks like the main purpose of my mission was not achieved unfortunately."
    Last edited by Leostales; 2018-04-02 at 09:22 AM.

8. - Top - End - #308

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Pierce looks at the symbol on the axe and ring. "I wonder what it means." He then focuses on the axe, praying to Lor for information about its nature.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Casting Identify
    The ground around the kneeling priest trembles. Pebbles and loose rock begin to shift and drag, floating inches above the soil and moving in a circular pattern around him. Lor's eye is focused on the axe.

Spoiler: The spell
    Show
    Alpsbane

The name erupts through the center of Pierce's mind like a volcano. Lor has named this weapon, and Pierce has been show its power. His vision fills with a series of images, a large set of sturdy oak doors, a silver candlestick in a ray of sunlight, an overgrown garden filled with roses, and a staircase leading down into darkness.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Alpsbane has been fouled by its evil use. The paladin had long lost the favor of Lor, and his using it to repeatedly smite the tree without Lor's blessing turned the god's favor against the weapon. A ritual is needed to cleanse it and redeem it in Lor's eye. The ritual must be performed in a place holy to Lor, this clearing with the tree will not do. The axe is the scourge of all evildoers, when the ritual is completed and it is redeemed, it will deliver most violent wounds to Lor's enemies.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

"This weapon is fouled in the eyes of Lor. We could cleanse it, but not here. Still, it is a weapon of high quality, if any of you want to wield it. Its name is Alpsbane." Pierce holds out the axe for anyone who wants it to take.

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

"This weapon is fouled in the eyes of Lor. We could cleanse it, but not here. Still, it is a weapon of high quality, if any of you want to wield it. Its name is Alpsbane." Pierce holds out the axe for anyone who wants it to take.
    Akkila finishes tending to Muun's wounds, ensuring that he's going to make it. She then pulls out a ration for him so he has something to eat and then stands up turning to look at the ax Pierce has in his hands.

We can take on this task together brother, if you would like I can wield it for now, hopefully doing some good with it may start the cleansing process.

Akkila reaches for the ax in Pierces hands, sheathing her sword in the process.

What has fouled the weapon? Do you think we should attempt to fix the wound it's caused in this tree?

11. - Top - End - #311

Planetar

Tethys listens in rapt attention to Muun's description of the fish spirit then makes a superstitious symbol across her face. You have been truly blessed, Muun Scalesouled, would that I could entreat with such a powerful spirit of the water.

Tethys then watches the Identify ritual with interest, recoiling back as Pierce offers the axe around. I will not accept what tool desecrated this natural place.

She turns to the roots that the paladin had had in his bag and begins to examine them for the medicinal or healing properties. Perhaps these will be useful in some way to healing this wounded oak.

Medicine/Herbalism Kit - (1d20+2)[6]
    Last edited by atlastrembles; 2018-04-02 at 09:04 AM.

12. - Top - End - #312

RedWizardGuy

Tethys listens in rapt attention to Muun's description of the fish spirit then makes a superstitious symbol across her face. You have been truly blessed, Muun Scalesouled, would that I could entreat with such a powerful spirit of the water.

Tethys then watches the Identify ritual with interest, recoiling back as Pierce offers the axe around. I will not accept what tool desecrated this natural place.

She turns to the roots that the paladin had had in his bag and begins to examine them for the medicinal or healing properties. Perhaps these will be useful in some way to healing this wounded oak.

[roll0]
    "We should try to find Thunder soon," says Muun. "I don't like that one of us is out there alone." He gestures to his scars to show his reasoning.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

"We should try to find Thunder soon," says Muun. "I don't like that one of us is out there alone." He gestures to his scars to show his reasoning.
    We don't know where she is, and have no way to find her. We have marked our trail as clearly as we could and hopefully she'll be able to find us if she wants too. We do need to stick together from now on though, this forest is certainly meant as a trial for all of us, and we can only succeed it if we work together.

Akkila thinks for a second, looking at Muun's ring.

I just had a thought, Muun, are you able to take that ring off?

14. - Top - End - #314

RedWizardGuy

We don't know where she is, and have no way to find her. We have marked our trail as clearly as we could and hopefully she'll be able to find us if she wants too. We do need to stick together from now on though, this forest is certainly meant as a trial for all of us, and we can only succeed it if we work together.

Akkila thinks for a second, looking at Muun's ring.

I just had a thought, Muun, are you able to take that ring off?
    "It's worth a shot." says Muun, he tries to pull the ring off.

15. - Top - End - #315

[roll0]
    Tethys hasn't seen roots like these before, though there doesn't seem to be anything particularly exciting or special about them. She is rather reminded of her own fetishes and baubles that she hangs about her person, perhaps the knight simply thought they looked interesting.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

16. - Top - End - #316

"It's worth a shot." says Muun, he tries to pull the ring off.
    The ring slides easily from Muun's finger. As it does, his eye catches the glint from inside the band. Etched along the band in a thin font reads the inscription:

speak with purpose, and all will know your intent

Spoiler: Muun
    Show
    As he removes the ring from his finger, the world seems to become more claustrophobic and cacophonic. Discordant sounds of birds, breeze, and insects fill his ears. The illusion is gone in a moment, though a general feeling of confusion remains.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

Akkila finishes tending to Muun's wounds, ensuring that he's going to make it. She then pulls out a ration for him so he has something to eat and then stands up turning to look at the ax Pierce has in his hands.

We can take on this task together brother, if you would like I can wield it for now, hopefully doing some good with it may start the cleansing process.

Akkila reaches for the ax in Pierces hands, sheathing her sword in the process.

What has fouled the weapon? Do you think we should attempt to fix the wound it's caused in this tree?
    "The wounding of the tree is the source of the defilement." Pierce gives her the axe.

My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #318
    Halfling in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by gabado View Post
    Spoiler: Thunder: an accord over fish
    Show
    Timmil drops the fish to the table and his countenance calms. “Perhaps you are right. Forgive me, I have been in this blasted wilderness far too long. I fear I have begun to lose myself among the pines. Head or tail?”
    With a fluid motion the old dwarf deftly draws his axe and swiftly brings it down on the fish, chopping it cleanly into two even halves. Thunder’s stomach growls, it had been many hours since she last ate.

“Please, sit, eat.” Timmil lowers himself back to the stump returning the axe to his belt. “To escape one must know a set of questions and a set of answers. I know two answers but not the questions which they are for. I’d be willing to partner with you, to share our secrets, if you promise me to take me away from this place when you leave.” There is a pleading note in his voice.

“Wait, you said seven heads? Who are the other five?”
    Show
    ”Head, please!” Thunder chirps, then scarfs it down in record speed. She’s starving.

”The other five?” Thunder asks rhetorically through a mouthful of fish, giving herself a second to swallow. "My friends and traveling companions are also trapped in this forest. I went off alone to search for shelter, and Muun went out to hunt, but as far as I know, the others are still back at camp."

Thunder wipes her mouth on her sleeve. "A cleric and paladin of Lor, Pierce and Akkila; Jacira, a wizard; and Tethys the sorcerer." Taking another bite, Thunder says hurriedly after swallowing, "They're trustworthy, I swear it. None of us would harm you, as we all need to get out of this forest." Still perched on Timmil's table, Thunder's posture becomes more defensive. She hopes the dwarf's paranoia won't act up again.
    When all you have is a hammer Fireball, every problem looks like a nail densely packed group of orcs.

19. - Top - End - #319

Quote Originally Posted by saltstorming View Post
    Show
    ”Head, please!” Thunder chirps, then scarfs it down in record speed. She’s starving.

”The other five?” Thunder asks rhetorically through a mouthful of fish, giving herself a second to swallow. "My friends and traveling companions are also trapped in this forest. I went off alone to search for shelter, and Muun went out to hunt, but as far as I know, the others are still back at camp."

Thunder wipes her mouth on her sleeve. "A cleric and paladin of Lor, Pierce and Akkila; Jacira, a wizard; and Tethys the sorcerer." Taking another bite, Thunder says hurriedly after swallowing, "They're trustworthy, I swear it. None of us would harm you, as we all need to get out of this forest." Still perched on Timmil's table, Thunder's posture becomes more defensive. She hopes the dwarf's paranoia won't act up again.
    Spoiler: Thunder
    Show
    "Hmm, I take you at your word that you will not harm me." Timmil says, holding out his hand for Thunder to shake. "I will tell you what little I know if you promise to come back for me when you've solved the mysteries of the forest and take me away from this accursed place."
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

20. - Top - End - #320
    Halfling in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by gabado View Post
    Show
    "Hmm, I take you at your word that you will not harm me." Timmil says, holding out his hand for Thunder to shake. "I will tell you what little I know if you promise to come back for me when you've solved the mysteries of the forest and take me away from this accursed place."
    Show
    Thunder's hand is covered in fish, but so is Timmil's. She shakes his hand firmly. "A cat's word may mean little, but I swear to you that I shall return for you." She hesitates. "Do you not wish to come with? I worry it may be difficult to find you again."
    When all you have is a hammer Fireball, every problem looks like a nail densely packed group of orcs.

21. - Top - End - #321

Quote Originally Posted by saltstorming View Post
    Show
    Thunder's hand is covered in fish, but so is Timmil's. She shakes his hand firmly. "A cat's word may mean little, but I swear to you that I shall return for you." She hesitates. "Do you not wish to come with? I worry it may be difficult to find you again."
    Show
    "No," Timmil shudders at the thought of returning to wander in the forest. "My place is here, where I can see the sky. As for how to find me, though the forest is fickle and unpredictable, there are certain paths that are always true. I know two of these paths. To return here, cary the branch of a young fir tree in your hand and think of my hut, after a few hours of walking, you will arrive. The second path I know is to an ancient dwarf stone. It is an old dwarf lay. If you sing it as you leave my crag, you should arrive within a few hours of walking. the lay goes like this," Timmil closes his eyes and sings.

'Soft ground under foot
    How shall I, a son of Kjalkorak, gain penance
    Travel long day through rain and slop
    Find my way homeward without stop
    The anvil of home if without threat
    Hard ground under foot I shall not fret'

He finishes the song and smiles. "I discovered that by accident one day, the song always brings me memories of the mountains, I was singing it and chanced upon the rock."

He shakes himself from his memories of home. "Now, as for my secrets. I know the answers to two riddles, but as I said, I am not sure what the riddles are themselves.

The shield carries the rune "Freedom."
    and
    He did not die.

"I hope those can be of some help to you in your search."
    He leans forward toward Thunder. "A word of warning, not all secrets are real, there are mock secrets known by some, sewn by Wildheart to distract and deceive. Be mindful of what you are told and forget nothing you hear."

Timmil leans back and relights his pipe. "You are welcome to spend the night here, in the morning you can set out to look for your friends. The forest is dangerous at night, that is when the dark dwellers stir."
    Last edited by gabado; 2018-04-02 at 11:38 AM.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

22. - Top - End - #322
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Akkila nods at Pierces words.

We should do our best to correct that then and atone for the mans deeds that he attempted to commit in the name of Lor. I will try and heal this tree.

Akkila walks over to the wound on the tree made by the Ax, she takes off a gauntlet and starts praying to Lor whilst laying her Hand on the spot where the Ax was removed.

Lor, I ask that you take my energy and use it to heal the wounds done in your name. I pray that this mans actions can be forgiven for he was confused and lost. I pray that this tree can be turned from harm into health.

In the name of Lor, for Lor, O Lor,
    the Lord of this sacred, helpful earth,
    the Lord of the light which is in it,
    let it cure these wounds,
    O Lor let this pure earth be healed
    and a remedy for all pains and ailments.
    Last edited by mtatosky; 2018-04-02 at 04:12 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323

Akkila nods at Pierces words.

We should do our best to correct that then and atone for the mans deeds that he attempted to commit in the name of Lor. I will try and heal this tree.

Akkila walks over to the wound on the tree made by the Ax, she takes off a gauntlet and starts praying to Lor whilst laying her Hand on the spot where the Ax was removed.

Lor, I ask that you take my energy and use it to heal the wounds done in your name. I pray that this mans actions can be forgiven for he was confused and lost. I pray that this tree can be turned from harm into health.

In the name of Lor, for Lor, O Lor,
    the Lord of this sacred, helpful earth,
    the Lord of the light which is in it,
    let it cure these wounds,
    O Lor let this pure earth be healed
    and a remedy for all pains and ailments.
    It is a heartfelt prayer, an act of selfless piosness. Looking up from her devotions, Akkila cannot perceive any overt difference in the gashes in the tree, but the light in the clearing has shifted, perhaps it’s the rising sun, maybe it’s the breeze that has begun to shift the canopy above, but new shadows have shifted across the trunk, making ridges and lines in the bark stand out. She supposed the bark looks rather like a face at rest. In the breeze, the tree shifts and lets out a resonant sigh. A tension has been released, the clearing breathes a fresh breath, even Lomp seems relieved, standing at ease and grazing at the edge of the glen. Although not gone, Akkila senses that the pain has begun to ease.
    Last edited by gabado; 2018-04-02 at 06:47 PM.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

24. - Top - End - #324

Planetar

Tethys, not knowing the first thing about healing a tree, but knowing how they grow and are sustained, once again begins a Water Shaping ritual, bringing a healthy amount of water drifting in from the nearby forest to bathe the tree's trunk clean of the dripping bloodsap. She then directs the water in and around the roots to give it a healthy watering, not knowing if or when it rained last in the Wildheart.

She lays a hand on Akkila's shoulder as she says Good words, Lorpriest, good words. The tree will bear the scar of the axe's desecration, but like driftwood on the shore, only time will truly heal its wounds I think. Now that we are together, perhaps we should retrace our steps and hopefully find our last companion to reunite us?

Tethys packs up the roots from the dead crazed paladin's bag, hoping for a future opportunity to study them further.

25. - Top - End - #325

RedWizardGuy

Muun, as unskilled in religion as he is in arcana views the scene with a mild interest. When its over, he says. "Yes, we should find Thunder soon."

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

Pierce turns and tries to follow the trail he marked back to their original camp.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #327

Pierce turns and tries to follow the trail he marked back to their original camp.
    The trail is relatively easy to follow, though in the mid-morning light everything in the forest looks different, a little lighter. The moss underfoot has a fresh spring to it, and the group finds themselves heading downhill at an easy pace.

The claustrophobia of the night before is gone, but the exhaustion of staying awake all night and the excitement of the Paladin in the clearing has left the group weary and a groggy. Nevertheless, it is a relief to have Muun back, and Lomp graciously helps him walk, his wounds and ordeal benieth the water still weighing heavily upon his shoulders.

After a few hours of following the trail, a deep, resonant growling and snoring fills the afternoon air. The sound is emanating from beneath a large fir tree some twenty paces down the trail. The faint light filtering down through the compact mesh of branches illuminates a pair of enormous feet that poke out from under the towering fir's lowest branches.
    Last edited by gabado; 2018-04-03 at 05:24 PM.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

"Shh. Sleeping giant." Pierce points to the big feet.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #329

Planetar

Tethys holds up a hand for silence and uses her wind shaping abilities, whispering under her breath and gently circling her hands to try and shift some branches so that they can get a better view of the creature without waking it.

Stealth/Sleight of Hand - (1d20+2)[19]

30. - Top - End - #330

Tethys' gusts silently push aside the lower branches of the large fir. Pierce was right! The feet belong to a small giant, perhaps as tall as three men. He is leaned up against the tree, which bends backward at a considerable angle, fast asleep. He wears clothing made from many different fabrics and firs, stitched together with large, crude stitches. He has a massive grey beard. Woven into the beard are many beads and baubles. Large, curved tusks protrude from his yawning maw, and his eyebrows are bushy and dark. In his mop of sooty brown hair, a family of birds has made a nest, the sounds of chirping hatchlings fill the space between the giant's booming snoring. His fingers are laced across his massive belly which rises and falls rhythmically.

His face is peaceful and serene, deeply creased by age. No weapons are upon his person, and he sleeps soundly as a baby, heedless of the breeze tickling his nose.
    Last edited by gabado; 2018-04-04 at 08:44 AM.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC