New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Suggestion: Martial Class with many options

I love to play casters in 5e because I love to have many options from my toolkit during the combat. I like the variety of the gameplay from having many option and I really like the tactical depth that comes with it.

So, I'm looking for a free third-party martial class comparable to casters in term of combat options. (Battle Master you say? No, I want more options! )

Thanks in advance! :-)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Suggestion: Martial Class with many options

None?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

So I can't point to any... but I am keen to try and throw something together with time.

I have a few ideas, all on the complex side, and if there were ever a time to get all of these out again, it's now.

So thinking:

1) stances. Allow you to shift passive bonuses.

2) exertions, a bit like battlemaster manoeuvres

3) no extra attack. Its a massive power boost but cutting it free the class to pursue more situational damage boosts and the play-time class complexity is in engineering the right circumstances to get the bonus.

4) reaction focusse - possibly tied to stance and point 3. Spellchecker stance to disrupt spells, some defensive stance to use reaction to boost AC and so on.

Aiming for complexity through resource management, needing tactical positioning and target selection and possibly a martial equivalent of prepared spells for the day.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    So I can't point to any... but I am keen to try and throw something together with time.

I have a few ideas, all on the complex side, and if there were ever a time to get all of these out again, it's now.

So thinking:

1) stances. Allow you to shift passive bonuses.

2) exertions, a bit like battlemaster manoeuvres

3) no extra attack. Its a massive power boost but cutting it free the class to pursue more situational damage boosts and the play-time class complexity is in engineering the right circumstances to get the bonus.

4) reaction focusse - possibly tied to stance and point 3. Spellchecker stance to disrupt spells, some defensive stance to use reaction to boost AC and so on.

Aiming for complexity through resource management, needing tactical positioning and target selection and possibly a martial equivalent of prepared spells for the day.
    I think I'd keep Extra Attack as an optional feature that needs to be chosen day-by-day, like a spell, or part of a potential semi-subclass (maybe a Pact Boon-like approach?) Could also be a part one of the-how-many stances, too. Extra Attack in on itself is *kind of* passive ability, in a sense.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2024-04-21 at 11:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

What I would like to have from a tactician martial class:

1) Manoeuvrers/exertions more like spells, but definitively not spells because they are mundane in nature and (3).

2) Each exertion requires a specific amount of "martial points" in order to be activated.

3) You can combine different exertions in a single turn. This would be the biggest different between the "spell system" and the "exertion system". This vastly increase the tactical experience of this class. (Of course there is a limit of martial points you can spend each turn depending on your level.)

Regarding the effects of the exertions, they should take inspiration from manoeuvrers but also from spells and special weapons (fire arrows, acid arrows, poison arrow, net, smoke bomb, ...).

Here some spells that could be reworked (in description but also mechanically) to be exertions:

- Gust
    - Thorn Whip
    - Thunderclap
    - Catapult
    - Cause Fear
    - Detect Poison and Disease
    - Feather Fall
    - Fog Cloud
    - Grease
    - Heroism
    - Jump
    - Longstrider
    - Shield
    - Snare
    - Zephyr Strike
    - Blindness/Deafness
    - Cloud of Daggers
    - Cordon of Arrows
    - Hold Person
    - Kinetic Jaunt
    - Spider Climb

I agree, the extra-attacks should probably be an exertion.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ok, so lets sketch this out... a rought draft

Level 1
    So at ths level we want to set the tone and give abilities we want whilst not giving anything to tempt people too much to dip into the class.
    I would go with 2 skills proficiencies, d10 hit die, proficiency in Con saves and Int Saves (int or cha are weaker saves and don't thematically favour str over dex or vice versa). Proficiency in shields and medium armor (no heavy then pushes defensive stances to be more important).

Lets add exertions before stances. Its a resource that can scale with level in both effect and number so we can have these without it being too easy to dip for other classes. Lets give resource pool like monk Ki - per short rest and 1 per level. A deep pool wil be nice for a richer experience. Maybe start off with 4 options?

Level 2
    Add a speed boost. Just something like 5ft per round. If part of the theme is the rigt tool for the right job... then we need to get the PC into the right place.
    Add to this a +2 AC against opportunity atacks for the same reason. These are not enouh to dip the class but will support later abilities.

Level 3
    Subclass

Level 4
    ASI

Level 5
    Lets add the first stance set here. A nice big boost. Use a bonus action to switch stance which takes effect at the start of your next turn - anticipation and coordinaton is key. Learn 3 stances to move between.

Level 6
    Extra exertion options

Probably a ribbon feature

Level 7
    Subclass Feature
    Also learn the subclass stance for free

Level 8
    ASI

Level 9
    So at this point we are getting towards end of tier 2. We should have a class that has a bundle of options to use and it miht be time to introduce a new ability. I think readied attacks/opportunity attacks can make 2 attacks not just 1. This supports positioning, soft lock on enemies and lets the martial keep roling multiple attacks.

Level 10
    Lets add another ribbon. Level 9 could be powerful as could level 11. Add another exertion option (if you pick the best ones for your character/campaign first then there are diminishing returns here) and another stance option

Level 11
    You get an extra reaction. Whilst it looks strong with the level 9 ability I don't think it over the top. The readied action cant be doubled as you just have 1 action to ready. And outgoing enemies getting cut to ribbons? You are getting a very situational 5 attacks per cycle over action and two reactions. A fighter with an action, reaction and possibly a bonus action would get the same.

Level 12
    ASI

Level 13
    Subclass Feature

Lets also play with the increased mobility here. Another 5ft of movement. And another stance.

Level 14
    Maybe allow two stances simultaniously?

Level 15
    Another exertion option

Level 16
    ASI

Level 17
    Another big level. I am thinking advantage on opportunity attacks. I envisage a lot of tactical reactions that will incude this so it could be a serious buff. Also, when you use exertion to make an attack you can add your con modifier to damage. And another stance...

Level 18
    Subclass feature (I personally feel subcasses often miss sexy capstones)

Level 19
    ASI

Level 20
    Recover some exertion. Not that cool or powerful but after a 2nd capstone from the subclass at level 18 its probably Ok to be a little toned down. And another stance and another exertion option.

Rough thoughts on Stances

1) Spellbreaker: Like the mageslayer feat
    2) Dualist: Like the defensive dualist feat
    3) Defender: AC boost and protection fighting style
    4) Clairvoyant: Add con to your saving throw as a reaction
    6) Bullwark: when entering the stance select a damage type. Resist it
    7) Aggressor: Add proficiency bonus damage to the first attack you make each turn
    9) Alert: No disadvantage for not seeing an enemy
    10) Fulcrum: Add your con bonus to athletics and acrobatics checks, and strength saves
    11) Trickster: Dex save or be knocked prone vs your opportunity attacks
    12) Stonebreaker: Deal double damage to objects. Can chose to force a dex save rather than make an attack roll

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

MrStabby, very interesting indeed! Keep us posted. ;-)

If I would create this class, let's name it The Tactician, I would avoid stances (aka shift passive bonuses) in order to push on exertions (aka manoeuvrers). (Besides, I want to focus on the tactic. Stances are more about strategy.)

Here some more details.

The Tactician starts with 4 known exertions and at each odd level this limit increases by 1. Moreover when they level up, they can choose one of the known exertions and replace it with another one. This is similar to the Bard known spell progression. A martial class with as many options as a caster: this is what I really want!

Each exertion requires a specific amount of "tactical points" in order to be activated. But, in contrast with spells, high-power exertions doesn't exists. Maybe the strongest exertions should be comparable to level-2 spells.

So how does the Tactician keep up at higher levels? They can combine the exertions together! So, they can use more exertions in the same turns. This is the tactical essence of the Tactician! Of course there is a limit of how many tactical points the Tactician can use each turn based on their level.

As already said, the know exertion progression is similar to the Bard's know spell progression. Similar, but inferior. But this gap is compensated by the fact the exertions can be composed together.

What do you think on the general idea?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I've heard good things about Spheres, a 3rd party Pathfinder supplement. I've never tried it myself. There's a 5e conversion. Maybe worth checking out?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

There's the armiger, here: https://docs.google.com/document/u/0...=h.y69fyc4xhgy

This might be a fun class to try out if you want a martial with more options. Though it is very supernatural in theming.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Gonna drop a handy-dandy link here.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Spheres of Power 5e has some solidly versatile classes.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The thief and its fast hands ability is good for this kind of thing. He can have a utility belt with caltrops, ball bearings, holy water, alchemists fire, acid, healing kit, manacles, etc.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

Anyway I see a big gap with the lacking of a mundane class with the combat versatility of the casters. It is days I'm designing such a class. I will share it very soon.