Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default The orphans of Rag End (IC)

Breakfast has just finished being served at Our Lady Susan's School for Wayward Children, and the clatter of spoons on bowels and chatter of a few dozen children fills the dining room. Your group of friends managed to get the end of a table together. A warm bowl of porridge in front of each of you. From the other tables you overhear plenty of chatter, the Rag Enders have one of the tables next to you to themselves and are discussing their latest plan to take back the woodshed from the Beatles. Whichever gang has it gets some work from the Duke's men when they use it. They seem a little short handed since a few of them found work and left the orphanage. From the other table you hear the younger kids talking fearfully about a monster coming from the Clutch and taking street kids away in the night. The typical fear inducing rumours made up to keep the kids in check, right? right. The other children at your table are discussing plans for getting into the merchant district, past Captain Chris and his men. There is a chance to beg, borrow and steal if you can get there and back without getting caught.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The orphans of Rag End (IC)

Jessibelle, an introvert, though she sits at the same table as the others, sits further away. She pokes the large dead scarab she carries around with the back end of her spoon. Her porridge, left untouched, grows colder by the second. She does, however, pay attention to conversations while she does so. She does this often, to know if others are trying to talk to her. She especially listens to the kids talking about the monster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i canít believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rexís jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Nisha takes her time eating her porridge, which is unusual for her. Normally she tries to finish her breakfast faster than the other kids so she can get a head start on leaving before the teasing started. Today, however, she felt confident enough to let her guard down while she eats with her friends.

She listens to the chatter going on around her, rolling her eyes at the mention of a supposed monster. She was surprised that the other kids hadn't taken to claiming that either she or Jessibelle were the monster.

Speaking if whom, Nisha looked over to the other tiefling and noticed that she wasn't eating. "Jessiebelle, you should eat. We might not get food later..." She spoke softly, knowing Jessiebelle was more reserved than herself. She also knew not to press the issue, lest it would make Jessiebelle uncomfortable. Still, it was hard for Nisha not to be concerned for the other Tiefling at the orphanage.

With that, Nisha turned her thoughts to what she would do for the day. Maybe she would get lucky while begging today...
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    The Lovely Couple
    The duo walk off ending up at the bar. The Bartender gives you a coy smile. Anything for the young lady, sir? Tarja can tell his intentions were less than pleasant and presumptuously forward.
    Spoiler
    Show

League playlist - Hey, wanna check out a buncha people be idiots on league?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

"Now, don't be so negative", Trysh smiles enthusiastically, "Bet you I'll get something tasty for all of us today?" she tilts her head with a mischievous spark in her eyes. With that, she dug into her portion of the porrige with enthusiasm fitting a much more elaborate dish. With how much energy she regularly spent, lack of appetite was something Trysh never complained about.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

'stelle smirks at the rumours, they come around again and again, frighten the li'l ones, make 'em behave. "Nish is right Jessie, eat up. Don't go worrying about monsters - scariest thing around here is you two and you're ours." she smiled at the timid girl.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Jess makes a glaring glance at the others, and then on 'Stelle with the "scariest thing around" comment. She goes back to poking the scarab carcass.
    Wow, i canít believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rexís jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

'Stelle shoots a grin back at Jess's glare, giving her a wink.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Nisha mentally sighs at Jessiebelle's refusal to eat but doesn't push it further than that. Forcing her to eat wouldn't do any good. She then looks over to 'Stelle. "Please don't go around telling people that we're the scariest things here... that wouldn't be helpful." She sounded almost tired at the idea of a new rumor about Jessibelle and herself going around.

She then smiled back at Trysh. Her optimism was appreciated and was something to be admired. "So are we going to try to get into the merchant district then? Sounds like a lot of kids are going to be busy with the gang war stuff today."
    Spoiler
    Show

The Lovely Couple
    The duo walk off ending up at the bar. The Bartender gives you a coy smile. Anything for the young lady, sir? Tarja can tell his intentions were less than pleasant and presumptuously forward.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"Don't take everything so seriously, Nisha. And you know I'd throw down with anyone who bad-mouthed you - no one talks down to my friends." she follows the change in subject "Sure, merchant district is always good, it'd be nice to have some spare change."

10. - Top - End - #10

PirateGuy

The other group of children at your table hear you talking about going to the merchants district. James leans over from the other conversation "Listen we heard that the Captain is going to be out meeting with the Duke just before lunch, we are going through the old warehouse but if you come with us you split the loot with us."

You could go over the roof of pig slaughterhouse instead, or through the drains. The slaughterhouse has a few roof crossing and a large jump to make. The drains are slippery but generally not patrolled, though they do have a rat problem.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Jess glances at the other kids. She makes a look that says "what in the world are we going to do with the money anyway, we're kids in an orphanage" and goes back to poking the scarab.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

"What do we need money for?" Trysh blinks, "Come on, obviously it's to buy something nice! Candies, anyone? No one can take it from us if we eat them on the spot, but the memory, the memory will remain!"

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

"You have to admit, it would be nice to have enough money to get some food that has actual flavor." Nisha added to Trysh's answer before she looked down at the at the sorry excuess of rags that passed for a dress that she wore. "..Or clothes that doesn't have holes or itch..." Almost on cue she started to scratch an itch on her leg.

She then looks around the group of friends. "So, do you gals have any preference for which way we go?"
    Spoiler
    Show

The Lovely Couple
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"More of us going through the warehouse will attract more attention, though could mean some of us slip through? So it's whether you'd rather risk slippin' an' falling to your deaths or gettin nibbled by big rats. I'd rather risk the rats." 'stelle muses the possibilities.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

"Uhh, rats are squicky..." Trysh says, "I'd rather try the roofs... they're not that bad, really, I climb them all the time."
    The fact that Trysh also ends up with scratches and bruises all the time - not to mention occasional visits to the Matron - is left unsaid, though.

Extended signature

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Walter comes late for breakfast, as always. He sits down near the others. "You wanna go t' the merchant district t'day?" he asks.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Jess, frustrated that she would be left on her own without her friends, she quickly scarfs down her porridge and runs back to her bed, where she puts the scarab carcass.

A girl, of similar height to Jess, comes running back to the dining room. She has blond hair, light skin, and wears fabulous pink robes. The kids at the orphanage have seen her before, this is Ellie, and has nothing to do with Jess. Nope. Not at all. Neither that or her arcane ability to disguise herself. No way. Scarab carcasses? They disgust her.

"Yeah, let's go!" she says in a cheery voice.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Walter stuffs the last of his food into his mouth, his cheeks bulging dramatically. "Mmf bmff mmf." He follows "Ellie."

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hmm. I'd rather risk the rats than falling off a roof if it's all the same." Nisha added her two copper pieces before noting Ellie's sudden appearance. "Oh, morning Ellie." She thought it was strange Ellie's clothes were way better than most of the other kids. She must be good at begging, Nisha mused to herself before finishing off her porridge and getting up while trying to ignore Walter's antics lest she would attempt to smoosh his porridge filled checks.

Nisha then looks over to where Jessibelle had been sitting. "Shame, I was hoping she'd join us..." she sighed. "Well I hope she stays safe until we get back."
    Spoiler
    Show

The Lovely Couple
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

"Okay, okay", Trysh says, puffing her cheeks and biting her lip, "If you all say so, rats it is..."

Extended signature

21. - Top - End - #21

PirateGuy

The children around you start clearing their plates, the youngsters still dawdle at the table but the Rag Enders have already left. The staff are getting impatient and start hurrying you all out the door. Kids disperse everywhere. James and his friends head off towards South Sno' Ot.

The easiest drain entrance is a little ways off at the border of Rag End and Beatrix Bluff. It should be fine as you don't run into the Beatles and the Rag Enders should have them all busy else where. You all arrive without incident and head through a broken wall and down into the drain. The walls are slick and the ground slippery, a small stream of water runs through the centre of the pipe forcing you to walk funny or get wet. Trysh is the only one to make it along the pipe without slipping and getting a leg or arm wet.

Half way through and you come across a boy and girl around your age. They sit just in an offshoot tunnel as you pass, straining the deeper water for valuables. Clearly a pair of toshers. The girl yells out to you as you pass.

"Oi you guys lost? Wanna be friends? My brother could take you where you need to go, and then we would be friends, and friends would share food with their friends right?"

The brother looks less impressed by you then his sister. "You better not take our tosh."

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Toshers are sewer scavengers and tosh is their loot.
    Last edited by Mangles; 2018-04-10 at 06:53 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

"We ain't got no food, and we ain't lost neither." Walter just keeps on walking.

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

'stelle shrugged, the path seemed simple enough, follow it - stay straight and climb back up again, but then again maybe there was some danger down here they could best avoid?
    "What's the deal? We ain't got no food right now, but if we 'dorable l'il orphans scrounge something up in the merchant district I'll be happy to split my share for a safe path through?"
    Last edited by spinningdice; 2018-04-12 at 04:46 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sure, and I won't say no to new friends", Trysh nods. "Say, are you two spend all the time here? Isn't it lonely down here?"

Extended signature

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Nisha was startled by the pair of voice that called out to the group, she almost loses her footing and nearly sinks her foot into the water...again. "I wouldn't mind sharing food if we have enough for everyone." She recovered her footing.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Lovely Couple
    Spoiler
    Show