Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Years And Years... [OOC]

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    I got Xanathar's. I got Volo's. But more importantly, Xanathar's, and HOO BOY, does it have a lot of downtime stuff! So, let's make use of it!

The adventure will start at 3rd level, after a successful adventure. A group of kobolds had been harassing a town, and you drove them away.

Spoiler: Fat Loots
    Show
    Heward's Handy Spice Pouch
    Pole of Angling
    Pipe of Smoke Monsters
    Walloping Ammunition (10 shots)

Alchemy Jug
    Cap of Water Breathing

Gloves of Thievery
    Ring of Water Walking

15 PP
    657 GP
    1,056 SP
    5,910 CP

2 Blue Quartz (10 GP each)
    Eye Agate (10 GP)
    Lapis Lazuli (10 GP)
    Malachite (10 GP)
    Moss Agate (10 GP)
    Obsidian (10 GP)

Leather Boots, Silver Buckles (25 GP)
    Finely Made Rabbit Fur Hunter's Cap (25 GP)
    Polished Stone Temple Statuette (25 GP)

Now, in the little village of Alhmor is hailing you as heroes, and the visiting noble from the city of Tadun has taken an interest in you. He's invited you to come with him, back to the city, where you can properly spend your wealth, as well as find more uses for your talents as adventurers. It's only about three days away, via the nobleman's carriage, and should be a safe journey.

The noble himself is a dwarf by the name of Gili, who serves as the overseer of the various villages in the northeast quadrant of the city of Tadun. He's reasonably liked by the villages-he's rarely there, and a bit cheap when he is, but he's kind to the children, so no one minds him too much.

Tadun is a metropolitan city, full of a mixture of people, and ruled over by Queen Thali Ironheart, of the Ironheart clan of dwarves. Her family carved the central portion of the city into the side of a mountain generations ago, and has ruled fairly, if firmly, ever since. The city has grown far beyond its initial walls, but the center has always been in the side of a mountain, with extensive mining systems.

System: D&D 5E.
    Player Count: 4, probably.
    Style of Play: Adventures, over the course of a long period of time. Extensive downtime will be featured, and the humans and other short-lived races might need to marry and have kids to keep adventuring.
    Allowed Content: Anything not on the list is not allowed. If you ask, you will not make it in the game. I repeat: ASK FOR SOMETHING NOT ON THE LIST, AND YOU DO NOT MAKE IT IN THE GAME.

• Player's Handbook
    • Volo's Guide To Monsters
    • Xanathar's Guide To Everything
    • Unearthed Arcana by request, can be vetoed
    • Homebrew by request, can be vetoed

Character Creation: Mythweavers preferred.

• Backstory: Skirt length. You're also low-level still, so nothing TOO major in your past.
    • Experience: 3rd level.
    • Wealth: Basic starting wealth, plus the loots listed above.
    • Ability Scores: 30 Point Buy.
    • Hitpoints/Health: PHB Standard.
    • Alignment: Good or good-leaning preferred.

Other Notes: No kobolds allowed-that's what you drove off.
    Please repost all character details.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Years And Years... [OOC]

Huzzah!! Also, thank you for DMing this.

Character sheet Link:
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1540198

Mechanics/reflavor:
    Eli is a cleric which I have flavored very much like a "light sorcerer". His abilities come from a magic accident when he was a child which left him with a connection to the positive plane.

I will tend to flavor his spells as light based where possible without changing mechanics (for instance, sanctuary as a delicate hypnotic pattern spell on someone's clothes).

Mechanically, he is a durable blaster with some utility and healing.

Background:
    Eli is the "white sheep" of a clan of necromancers in a far away land. He was too nice to really fit in with the dark rituals and extortion that formed day to day life in his family. His problem fitting in got worse when he was briefly/accidentally teleported to the positive plane during one of his uncle's high energy experiments.

Eli's jaunt had long term consequences. He developed an dislike of the dark and started spontaneously casting the light cantrip on objects around him. He stood out like a beacon during night time rituals and made "vanishing into the night" all but impossible. Even worse, his connection to the positive plane started wrecking havoc with the necromancy spells and concoctions regularly used in the clan.

It all came to a head when he accidentally cast "Turn Undead" during one of his father's extortion "operations". His father's zombies went nuts and ran out into the night, leaving the whole family surrounded by hostile villagers.

After that fiasco, the clan finally put their foot down and banished Eli. He then wandered the world, struggling to find his way as he traveled further and further from his home.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Checking Undurax in. He'll speak in green.

Spoiler: description
    Show
    Undurax has emerald-green scales with some darker striping on his back, tail, and snout, with a yellow underbelly. He is fairly slender, although not quite serpentine, and his yellow eyes are constantly glancing around, searching for potential threats (or victims). He speaks in broken common, but actually knows the language perfectly. His speech is just another of his many con games, making him seem more like an uncivilized savage.

Spoiler: backstory
    Show
    Undurax's mother died when he was young, during a monster attack. Against his concerned father's wishes, he insisted on learning fighting techniques. He studied the arts of ambush and wilderness lore from his tribe's hunters. However, training himself in the art of combat didn't put a roof over his head. Following a particularly violent dispute with his father over whether his obsession with revenge would be his demise, Undurax left his homeland to seek his fortune. In human lands, he turned to confidence scams in order to keep from starving, selling fake remedies for common ailments. Eventually, he was given a chance to fight for good by driving out the Kobolds. He took the opportunity immediately, seeking to punish the little monsters for their behavior.

His preferred con is to pose as a lizardfolk shaman named Anurath the Wise, and to sell "traditional lizardfolk remedies" to unsuspecting warm bloods.

Spoiler: image
    Show
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-04-07 at 03:26 PM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

No equipment, background, or personality, but I guess Ariel Vanos made it in. She'll speak in boldenrod.

Currently Recruiting: rogue_alchemist's The Thing.

5. - Top - End - #5

Steph is here. Illven can't access mythweavers at work.

But she'll speak in blue, the best color.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1545031
    Last edited by Illven; 2018-04-07 at 09:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

6. - Top - End - #6

Eli will speak in purple. And he'll keep an eye out for anyone with the last name Hedberg.
    Last edited by charlesrwest; 2018-04-07 at 09:42 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

IC! Don't do drugs. Stay in school. Eat your teeth.

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #8

A few questions, if I may.

1. How well do we know each other? Did we meet for the first time when the kobold call went out or did we have prior history?

2. How did we drive the kobolds off? Did we negotiate with them? Did we kill a few warriors and scare them into into withdrawing? Did we kill a major fraction of their fighting population and burn their base of operations? Did we kill their whole tribe?

3. How did we split the loot?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by charlesrwest View Post

1. How well do we know each other? Did we meet for the first time when the kobold call went out or did we have prior history?

2. How did we drive the kobolds off? Did we negotiate with them? Did we kill a few warriors and scare them into into withdrawing? Did we kill a major fraction of their fighting population and burn their base of operations? Did we kill their whole tribe?

Seconded, especially the last one.

Undurax wants the alchemy jug.
    And maybe the spice pouch.
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-04-08 at 07:17 AM.

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #10

Eli's not too fussed about the magic items (if anyone really wants something) but he'd probably pick the ring of water walking if he was going to get one of them.

11. - Top - End - #11

Steph's actually a proficient cook so she claims the spice pouch, and maybe the cap of water breathing?

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

12. - Top - End - #12

1) Up to you. If I had to guess, I'd say you met only somewhat recently.

2) Up to you, to an extent. No wiping the whole tribe-you're not THAT powerful-and you also drove them off with force, not words. So exactly HOW much damage you did is up to you, but within those restrictions.

3) Up to you entirely.

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Hows this:

1./2. The sheriff/knight (as appropriate) of the village got word (from some local hunters) of a Kobold tribe which was seen rapidly moving through a pass (turns out they had been pushed out of their homes but we never learned that). He immediately sent a runner to his higher ups and got together everyone in the village who looked like they could fight. We all happened to be traveling through but got swept up into his posse.

We confronted the Kobold tribe. They decided that attack was the better option (insert motive here) and launched a surprisingly effective offense. A number of locals died and it seemed like things might go poorly... then our little group found themselves in the same corner of the battle and turned things around. The remaining kobolds (including civilians) broke ranks and made a hasty retreat (leaving most of their belongings in the camp left behind). The local sheriff/knight died in pursuit to some sort of trap and we found ourselves the unexpected heroes of the hour. Our surprising effectiveness as a group lead us to talk and here we are.

It seems like we have 4 common items and 4 uncommon items, which works out pretty well since we are a party of 4.

Common:
    Heward's Handy Spice Pouch
    Pole of Angling
    Pipe of Smoke Monsters
    Walloping Ammunition (10 shots)

Uncommon:
    Alchemy Jug
    Cap of Water Breathing
    Gloves of Thievery
    Ring of Water Walking

150 from PP
    657 gp
    105.6 gp from silver
    59.1 gp from copper
    70 gp from jewels (if we can sell them)
    75 gp from fine items (if we can sell them)

Combined that is 1116.7 gp if we can sell the non-magic stuff and 279.18 each if we split evenly.

I propose that we had agreed to take one common and one uncommon magic item each and split the money evenly once we had sold everything we didn't wish to keep. We are carrying a lot of loot and it would make sense for us to travel together and work together to sell everything we want to liquidate (potentially inclding magic items).

Action:
    In particular, Eli would probably choose to try to use his downtime to sell off his (magic) items and try to find something he would find more useful (such as one of the following, if available):

Really want:
    Pearl of Power
    Slippers of Spider Climbing

Would also be interested in:
    Periapt of Wound Closure
    Sentinel Shield
    +1 shield
    Ring of Warmth
    Bag of Holding
    Brooch of Shielding
    Broom of Flying
    Cloak of Protection
    Figurine of Wondrous Power, Silver Raven
    Gloves of Missile Snaring
    Headband of Intellect
    Helm of Comprehending Languages
    Winged Boots
    Last edited by charlesrwest; 2018-04-08 at 09:02 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

So, we each take a chunk of the money, then two magic items, one common and one uncommon.

For Undurax, I'd like the alchemy jug and walloping ammo.

For the activity, it'll be training for herbalism kit.

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #15

Awesome. Eli is ready to move on to the city, if you guys are.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm ready.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #17

Okay, will move on pretty soon.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #18

(1d6)[5]

Let's see...

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #19

It's pretty early in the campaign and we have not (yet) made any skill checks. If I may ask, would it be OK to switch my (human race based) perception proficiency to arcana so that it is possible for Eli to make magic items? I like that the process functions as a quest hook in the absence of other prodding and it fits with his (necromancer raised) background. If the others are interested as well, finding ingredients to make magic items (which typically involves traveling to exotic locals and fighting something) could become a reason our group sticks together and a good source of income.

The process as I understand it involves:

1. Find recipe/location of required ingredients -> I'm guessing this manifests as a research downtime activity, maybe 2 pieces of lore?
    2. Travel and acquire ingredient
    3. Craft (specifically chosen) item

P.S.
    Also, does Stephanie get a bonus on the selling roll (advantage?) since we are doing it together?

Test: [roll]1d99[/roll]
    Last edited by charlesrwest; 2018-04-11 at 10:08 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

(1d99)[82] testing again

21. - Top - End - #21

Also, can we assume that we were able to pre-sell the non-magic stuff and go ahead and spit the magic items?

If no one objects, Eli will be selling the ring of water walking.

22. - Top - End - #22

You cannot edit rolls into a post.

You can go ahead and switch your proficiency, but just this once. I will offer that to everyone else-any minor changes you want to make, do them now.

And you can sell items for 80% market price without effort, but selling them for 100+ percent will take some effort.

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Insight (1d20+2)[18]

24. - Top - End - #24

Spoiler: Insight From Steph
    Show
    You're pretty sure three people sent you love letters, that you could see-a young human man, a REALLY young halfling girl (like, we're talking 10 or so), and a goliath woman.

Of the lusty letters, you think they were sent by a dwarf, two humans, and an elf-all male.

You should be able to pick them out of a crowd without TOO much difficulty, though some (such as the goliath) might be easier than others.

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Lower Class. Keep to what's familiar, ye?

(1d20+3)[9]

Currently Recruiting: rogue_alchemist's The Thing.

26. - Top - End - #26

Sounds good.

In that case, Eli would like to sell as many of the following at the price (106%) we just got as possible (in order of priority) and the rest at 80% (then we can split the money):

Items:
    Ring of Water Walking
    Pole of Angling

Leather Boots, Silver Buckles (25 GP)
    Finely Made Rabbit Fur Hunter's Cap (25 GP)
    Polished Stone Temple Statuette (25 GP)

2 Blue Quartz (10 GP each)
    Eye Agate (10 GP)
    Lapis Lazuli (10 GP)
    Malachite (10 GP)
    Moss Agate (10 GP)
    Obsidian (10 GP)

In week 2, I think Eli is going to start researching the recipe for a pearl of power and any information about where/how to get the ingredients (also, are there any particular items you guys want to get? I figured we could take turns choosing something to go after/help each other).

27. - Top - End - #27

Also, I was thinking I might want to spend some weeks doing free healing for people in the city (cure wounds + medicine skill). The downtime activities don't really have anything that fits that particularly well so I thought it might work like the following:

Volunteer healing:
    Functions/costs like low class carousing (costs 10 gp, week)
    Perhaps check could be made with medicine instead of persuasion? (fine if not)
    Consequences could come from the temple service table?

28. - Top - End - #28

Also, I was thinking I might want to spend some weeks doing free healing for people in the city (cure wounds + medicine skill). The downtime activities don't really have anything that fits that particularly well so I thought it might work like the following:

Volunteer healing:
    Functions/costs like low class carousing (costs 10 gp, week)
    Perhaps check could be made with medicine instead of persuasion? (fine if not)
    Consequences could come from the temple service table?
    That'd be fine.

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #29

Thanks! I figured the carousing cost would cover medical supplies.

30. - Top - End - #30

Roll Insight. For future reference, feel free to roll if you think one is needed-do be aware that the roll will not always be needed, so in those cases, doesn't matter if you got a 1 or a 20-the roll does not matter.

But in cases like this, it's perfectly fine to roll in advance.

Show
    Show

Show