Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 722
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)




    Main Quest: Goodnight World
    They had crushed your very existence. Scattered your soul across the realms and existence and cast you down into the filth of the mortal's world. Yet still you remained, still you struggled. Still you lived. A few hundred million years had found you in perhaps the worst state you had ever been, feeble and old. Even the body which you found yourself inhabiting could not be called the original. You've suffered chilling nights and blistering mornings, tortured and mangled, waiting for this chance. The devil which once haunted you many lifetimes ago had vanished, never to be seen again it seemed since you came to this world. It had been the first time in a long time you had ever been truly alone. Now it was time to destroy those who plotted against you, reclaim your birthright, and set the Cycle right. You were coming home.
    Difficulty: Moderate | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Progress: (0/2)
    Primary Objective: Escape
    Alternate Objective: Find your brother, Sino'fel



    "....What are you fumbling around with, just fix it." The devil opened a taloned hand in his direction, a sharp pain ran through his leg and then exploded into a hail of agony. The bone poking through his flesh was grotesquely pulled back beneath the surface as his leg was stretched away from him. While the compound fracture was lessened to a degree, he couldn't rightly approve of the method. Nelrin made a hammering motion with his hand as his broken limb was driven forward to connect the fractured bones, and an invisible piton of force was driven through his muscle and cartilage with sharp and violent force. The dreadful pain nearly made him faint. His eyes watered in silent protest as the bones were sickeningly joined. Surgery with Nelrin'fel. He made a mental note to avoid that in the future. "Now if you're finished wasting my time..."

    The horned devil turned away with a typical flourish. "The girl is fine. She's somewhere else. Right now it does not matter. " The towering specter took on a pondering posture, "Hm.. Yes, maintaining our favor with two of the three Houses would be in hour favor. That would make it more difficult for Talri to meddle in our affairs. If the Mother of the First holds the Renor then those of the old world, and the new should both exist. This might be a grand opportunity, millennia in the making. Strangely enough, there are a great deal of Elil wandering about this world. I'm sure a number of them possess some means to reach a Child of the Blessed Mother. If we could reach the Mother of the First and reclaim the Renor, then all the better, but we have no means to reach Quortek V'dre even if she approved. For now I think this is the best manner to proceed. The Mother of the Black Veil rarely spares a glance at the lesser realms of men, let alone send her Children, so it is unlikely we'll find an opportunity to earn any favor with her House. For now remaining pleasantly neutral seems the wisest choice. If we could bide time while we build our strength, then all the better." Once again the devil begun to pace, though he walked through steel bars and walls as he did. "With only two Renor it would take a few years until I would have regained my strength in full. If that becomes the case, we will need to plan longer term continences... Perhaps acquire land and men we could use to harvest souls for us. Hm. For now though, we've killing to do. Pick up your trash." He gestured at the old elf's belongings strewn about the cell.


    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Asiresh HP: 18/28
    ⯎ Asiresh's hands are bound (Freed)
    ✦ Asiresh's equipment is scattered about the room, not on his person
    ✦ Asiresh is nauseated while he remains in the smog (DC20 Fort to resist for 1d3 rounds)
    [Nauseated condition not yet applied]: Creatures with the nauseated condition experience stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.


    ✦ Spited: 50 (Exiled Son)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (1)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (2)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (3)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (4)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (5)


    ✦ Wounds: Asiresh
    ⯎ Land speed reduced to 10 ft - Cannot run (Healed: Duration - 2 days)
    ⯎ Strenuous actions deal 1 point of damage (Healed)
    ⯎ Strenuous actions have a 10% chance of causing bleed 1d4 rounds (Healed)



    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 01:22 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    iValkyrieX's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Asiresh

    Wincing to the sudden pain of joining bones and muscles in his leg he tries his best to not make a sound. After regaining use of his leg, Asiresh begins to move about the room to collect his gear and situate it how he likes. He takes his shirt and ties it around his mouth and nose in order to help assist with filtering the smog in the outer chambers until he can acquire a better filter from one of the men that has been seen around the halls.

    "Oh how I have missed the oh so generous Nelrin'Fel. Remind me to never let you perform surgery one ME again. You can do that kind of thing to our enemies but that was more torture than aiding. But then again, I presume this is the kind of thing you quite enjoy isn't it? Either way now would be a good time to be on the lookout for anyone coming this way. I'll see to it that they perish."

    As Asiresh speaks to Nelrin is his mind he is preparing his bow checking over his gear. Once his checks are done he puts his hand to the tip of a fire siccatite arrow, ready to pull and nock at a moments notice. Ready for anything. He lays in wait as he looks around the room using his low light vision to see if he can discern anything of use from what remains and also looks for the way out.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Perception check around the room for anything of use and for the way out.
    (1d20+10)[20]

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Feliks looked over the group of soliders and the assistant. "I am a medical professional. While I might not be able to treat all their wounds, I'm willing to offer what aid I can. For free." He normally would charge to heal. After all, medicine kits did need to be restocked often. Another reason why people turn to magic for healing, because its already free. Just make donations to whatever church it is.

    He also knew that this was out of his league as far as healing went. But he was starting to get tired of getting lead around to find that everything is wrong again.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Aden surveyed the scene, a dark scowl forming on his face. This did not bode well. Dead guardsmen with no discernible source for the wounds? That sounded like spirit work. Like, perhaps, the very spirit they were trying to outpace.

    "Damn it. Damn it damn it damn it. It beat us here. Of course it beat us here. It's following the same trail we're trying to uncover. Just how today's going."

    When the unknown man turned to the party, asking them to leave, Aden ignored him, moving towards Emithy. "Emithy, we don't have time. We're here on business for her. What happened here?"

    While Aden didn't want to explicitly say that they were here on Affri Rello's behalf, he figured that, given her connection to the sherrif, the Sczarni boss' name would carry enough weight to get them some answers. Hopefully in an expedient fashion, so they didn't end up with Affri splattered on a wall somewhere. Or the witch they were seeking. Or both. Waiting for an answer from the sheriff's assistant, Aden did a quick scan of the area, trying to pick up on any clues as to what happened.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show

    If necessary, a Bluff check to convince Emithy we're here on Sczarni business. (1d20+9)[10]

    And a Perception check to identify anything particularly out of the ordinary. (1d20+7)[15]
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)




    The Returner - Stella Astral


    22th of Rova, Sunday - Time: 7:45 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Autumn)
    The Lost Coast Road; Sandpoint Hinterlands
    Town of Sandpoint; Town Square




    Main Quest: Seven Days of Night
    Memories of the present were still blurred by those of the past, muddling everything together. Yet, they had not forgotten their time in that other reality... It had perhaps been a lifetime ago, for they had lived each day of both the present and that place they once knew. It was as if they had woken up from the longest dream, and now it was difficult to tell which was real. Whenever the truth fell into question, the needed only look at the grim card still clutched in Stella's grasp. Only the words from the Primeval Dark remain to guide you towards answers, but you can't help feeling as if you're simply grasping at straws.
    Difficulty: None | Status: Forfeit | Profit: Unknown | Time: 14 minutes
    Forfeit:There were other things of importance besides strange spirit-beasts and witches out there. For you, that was mending your broken and torn body. A strange rituals is prepared, and with it, far-away lands.


    The inquisitor didn't look up at the nude witch, instead minding her own work. "It will not interfere with the ritual. We depart to the grove of Du'ased'taur. You've been once, or close to it, but this grove lay in the southern ends of Tangi'thac. I imagine the Guardian explained this to you already." The intimidating woman eyed the girl pointedly, pausing briefly as she did so, then returning to her work. "...Or perhaps not. Murrpau are malicious spirits of the Elil, the wound you suffer is not a physical one, but a spiritual abnormality which has corrupted the appearance of your flesh. Your organs and tissues are not truly harmed, yet. This curse is simple, but changed slightly in a manner unique to the one who delivered it. This hinders my work, as no cure will exist here. Thus we must travel to where the Elil are weakest, and the Lapus are strongest. They will assist me in removing the blight." There were now a number of strange crushed herbs floating on the pool's surface, the water had been salted by materials which appeared to have been consecrated. The inquisitor emptied pouches of silver dust into the pool, it had begun to churn of its own volition as if magically compelled to do so. "Once we cross, you will only speak when I say. Test my patience, and I will see you die in a manner befitting your behavior. There are close to none who openly welcome one such as you elsewhere, and this is venture only goes one way..." A short silver knife came out from the inquisitor's robes, too short to be called a dagger, perhaps more suited for peeling fruit. She ran the blade across the lower half of her palm, letting the blood trickle into the dark bluish waters. The stirring pool looked more like a potion now than the once-clear liquid it had been. As the sanguine stream touched the surface of the pool the speed and intensity of the water's swirling intensified until it formed a small maelstrom. A soft humming filled the air, a static buzzed about and made their hair stand on end. Even the locks upon their heads begun to rise with a sharp and spontaneous crack of energy springing to life. "I will see the wound healed, but I offer no promises other than that. Should your ignorance lead to your doom, that is of no concern to me. Should you speak unbidden, you are of no concern to me. Should you fail to heed me, your return is of no concern to me. If you return. It will be some place with water, much of it." (Stella | Knowledge: Failed)

    The tall woman moved about, grabbing the sealed bag and tossing it in the water where it was quickly flushed away. "If you must speak, write. One word. No names. No places... and do not use any magic, nor curses. You're an abomination. Remember that in the presence of these creatures, and make effort to keep such hidden." Without so much as waiting for a nod, she grabbed Stella's arm and moved towards the whirling whirlpool of magic at the end of the room. Her mouth moved as she stretched out her free hand towards the construct, the witch could feel something otherworldly snap. A proverbial POP in the world around them, like something let loose or unhinged. It was a familiar and indescribable sensation, a knowing or awareness that something had changed. The same manner of sense she felt when the world had diverged.

    The stepped into the water.
    A familiar darkness rising to greet them.

    Ͽ ◯ Ͼ


    Sheriff Hemlock's office was clean and unremarkable. There were no signs anyone had ever been in his department's quarters. The sheets were still crisply tucked across the beds, hospital corners neatly folded in the bedsheets right where he'd put them. Every daybed within the clinic was neatly lined in their rows. The floor was dusted and the counters were spotless... For the small hospital had not seen use in quite some time.




    Main Quest: The World Betwixt
    An alien and foreign world. An even stranger land and people. Rising from the mires, you find yourself in a place unlike any you've seen before. Somewhere between a dream, a spirit land and reality, this world resided. Everything about it seemed to bristle with magic of a different sort, a type which didn't even seem familiar. You had come to be healed, and seeing the strangeness of the universe around you, you felt you had come to the right place. For it was so unique, that it didn't seem a stretch of the truth to believe that such a cure could be found quite easily. Yet, that same thought also drove home a fact; you were a long way from home.
    Difficulty: None | Status: On-Going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Objective:Heal your wounds.


    ??th of Rova, Sunday - Time: ?:00 am (Morning) / AR 4707
    Tangi'thac; Du'ased'taur
    Unknown; Unknown


    Her face breached the surface of the water with a start, a sharp inhale filling parched lungs with water. The mossy mire of the swamp's water only held a depth close to knee high on her stature, yet it felt like she had nearly drowned. A cold hand wrapped around her and pulled her up from the water. Sister Abygael. The inquisitor seemed unburdened, dry as a freshly laundered sheet, as if they had experienced very different forms of travel through the portal. The portal. Stella's gaze quickly took in the alien sights around her. Birds formed of translucent living shadow flapped through the air, and the ghostly trees of the forest rose up to block out the sun despite their semi-tangible appearance. It felt as if a hue painted over the world, like a polarizing lens were placed over her eyes, yet the vagueness of the shifting world was only occasionally broken up by the presence of the creatures which dwelt here. About their immediate surroundings the world was solid and firm, yet outside of an area of 30ft or so, the spaces left unoccupied shifted and grew transparent until it simply appeared as a thick veil of loosely defined mist.

    The inquisitor lifted a finger to her lips, commanding her to be silent. She didn't place the girl back down, but instead walked with her tucked under an arm and her sealed bag over another, as if she were just another object or package. The tall woman skulked through the thick growth, swatting aside any branches with a hand, scattering the once solid forms like fluffy clouds. Her progress was sharply halted as they stepped into a clearing. A space of solid-physical matter lay before them. In the center of the clearing was a small girl, perhaps a child, Stella honestly couldn't tell. Her stature was perhaps a foot shorter than a halfling, but not disproportional. The child wasn't human or similar race, of that she was certain. The girl's presence buzzed with an almost elemental affinity, causing the undefined world to grow near-rigid, as if it were actually present. Her eyes were inquisitive and wise, beaming with energy. A spotted brown owl, impossibly small, stood on a log next to her. The girl hadn't seemed to have noticed them, slipping down and sitting on the grassy ground while pointing at something in a sizable volume of some subject she couldn't guess. The title on the spine flickered in and out of existence occasionally, but the tome had been thoroughly reviewed, as numerous bookmarks and footnotes stuck out from its pages.

    The owl's head snapped up like a mechanical doll to look at the pair who had entered their space. The unusual owl opened its beak and words poured out in a tongue which sounded with many voices speaking over each other. It sounded like the chant of a spell, or driven some powerful arcane magics, but the scene was not unusual. Not after her experience with the Waldfrau. "Luu'oh'b'veck, v'eel'uss'ph'doss?" The girl looked up as well, tilting her head inquisitively. Sister Abygael paused, blinking once, evidently straining to understand what the bird had just spoken. Stella could hear a voice in her mind, 'He's asking who we are... But his accent is... Unique. I don't know his tongue' The small girl pat the bird's head with a smile, "Udtila telanth vecko? Xundos telanth Yila?" Abygael nodded, "Yila usstan telanth. Usstan tlun Ahyga'lastal." The inquisitor pointed at the witch under her arm, "Nind'l zhah Faer'stahl." The girl nodded slowly as if thinking. 'Your name is Faer'stahl here. Mine is Ahyga'lastal. Apprentices in their earliest years of training carry similar names to yours, many have not yet learned to speak the common tongues at this point. Though you appear young to have already become a Witch's apprentice, it is not unheard of.' The girl looked intrigued, "Faer? Il'zhah waelin. Il'klaen mir equidai. Vel'uss zhah ilta C'nros?" The inquisitor smiled grimly, Stella didn't need a translator to understand what she said in response. "Adessa'allessa, l'Wh'li C'nros." The owl bucked at the name, flapping its wings violently to keep itself from falling off the log. The small girl also jumped with a start in her seated position, though her feet never managed to find their way beneath her.

    The inquisitor raised a hand to calm the pair, "Il'uriu zet lu'doera Ael C'nros. Ilta hery inbal keer ilta." They both looked closer at the girl, the inquisitor lifted her higher to show the terrible wound like it was a badge of a sort. They both nodded in tandem as they saw the gaping hole. 'I've convinced them you're an Ael C'nros; an abandoned witch or witch apprentice who has left their master of your own volition. It is a cursed title deserving of revulsion, except if that master is one particular individual... Then it is a noble title to the souls of this world. Such a story is best to explain your particular... smell. You would do well to convince yourself it is true. Many Witches would treat you favorably if they learn of this, and we will need favor to heal you. It matters not if we must lie, steal and cheat to achieve it.' The small girl smiled brightly as she shuffled her way off the ground to her feet. She walked up the the pair, elevating up a small degree as she did, almost as if some invisible stairs stood before them. Her small hand pat Stella on the head. Her Taldane was rough and generally horrible, but good enough to be understood "Good girl. Lucky. Nice very. Place help there." It was difficult to understand her meaning entirely, but she got the gist of it.

    The short girl was undoubtedly some manner of witch. She had the feeling she was a proper 'Witch'; one in the manner which Afsspa'sol and Skullface had seemed to expect. She placed her wide pointed hat firmly on her head then reached up into the air, stretching her thumb and pointer finger as if to squish a small insect. With a gesture, she plucked an invisible golden thread from the air, it stretched off in either direction endlessly until it vanished from sight. A path of solid form manifested, as if painted by an invisible hand in blotted water-colors, slowly growing more and more real with each second. "Follow. Help."

    Sister Abygael placed Stella down after the magical display. Digging out something from her shrouded garb she produced a small glass bead and placed it in Stella's hand. "It's limited, but you can use the magic of that gem to transmit your thoughts for a short while. That will have to do until you've learned a more reliable method yourself. You may dress yourself now." The short Witch grinned pointing at herself, "Name. Allatalialva'tevel."




    Spoiler: Rewards | EXP
    Show

    ֍ Stella XP +100
    ⯎ Travel Influence Gained
    ⯎ Gem of Telepathy: 5/5 Charges, 3 min duration



    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 01:25 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    She watched and listened as Sister Abygael worked on the pool of water. The Sister said they were going to Du'ased'taur, her eyes went wide at this knowledge as she remembered that she had woken up there with the others. A brief wonder went through her as she thought about what happened that day, the voices that had spoken while they still laid unmoving. She was curious about that place then, it was there that she had first seen the strings of the world since she had arrived in it. Waldfrau had noticed her sight, her comments about it brought back some painful memories as she also thought back to how much trouble just speaking a name had caused. The Sister warned her not to speak and that if she must then she was to write only one word that was not a name or a place. She took the warning to heart, she now understood the power that could be had in such things and did not want to speak wrong and end up dead. She was about to reply to Abygael as the bag was tossed into the maelstrom, but the Sister seemed to not want to wait for even a moment. The familiar feeling pressed in around her before the darkness began rising to greet her.

    She coughed briefly ridding her lungs of the bit of water she had inhaled, blinking several times as she looked around at this new location. It was an impressive sight, the shadowy birds along with the unique heu that the world was painted with. The solidness of the immediate area felt odd to her as she looked out at the mist beyond it, she briefly wondered if everything here only existed in the presence of one that knew its secrets. Nodding to the Sister as she signaled for her to stay silent, she watched and wondered about how this world functioned. As they entered the clearing her brows furrowed at the sight of the small girl and the even smaller Owl, the world around them seemed to be solid possibly due to the energy the girl gave off. As she watched the girl she couldn't help but wonder what the book that was held was about, "Could it be a simple spell book or was it something with much more power in it... does it hold the knowledge of this world or of power even greater than that... I wish I could at least make out the title of it."

    If she hadn't met Waldfrau she would have been surprised by the speech of the owl even if she did not understand its words, she opened her mouth to speak but remembered quickly the Sisters warning snapping it shut quickly. She watched and listened as Abygael spoke to the girl, the conversation being relayed back to her via some sort of telepathy. The language that was spoken was odd, she had never really heard it before and wondered if she possibly had known it when she was learning from Adessa. Her ears perked up as the conversation continued, she had caught a word she knew as well as a name. The reaction from the girl surprised her a bit she had thought that Adessa's name could cause a reaction, as Afsppa'Sol had said that only those of Isto'thac still honored the Mother of the Black Veil and Adessa's children, but she had not expected the reaction the girl and owl gave. She continued to be silent as Abygael showed off the wound that needed healing. Abygael's voice spoke in her head once again explaining what was going on, and how she had placated the worry from the girl she spoke to. The title she was being given made her wonder what the word C'nros meant, Afsppa'sol had called her C'nros'dalhar as had Adessa at one point in time. She wondered if C'nros meant something similar to apprentice and if so what dalhar and Ael meant.

    She was a bit jealous of the power this witch appeared to have, if she had the power herself she knew that she would not have been in this mess. She watched as the girl plucked the golden thread from the air, briefly wondering what it would take to learn how to manipulate the threads in such a way herself and whom she could speak with to learn such a thing. Nodding to Abygael as she handed her the bead, she briefly looking at it wondering how it would be activated before she stuffed it into the magical wound that held her items, pulling her hand back out with some of her gear she began to dress herself. Turning to the witch she gave her a smile, pulling a piece of chalk from her quiver as well as the whetstone she scribbled down one word on it having not wanted to be rude toward the girl that was helping her. Showing the whetstone to the girl she kept the smile as she bowed slightly, the word Glad was scribble down. She hoped that the single word would get across the gratitude that she felt towards the girl helping out with her wound.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


    Know Abstract: (1d20+23)[33] or (1d20+23)[29] - To see if i can see any other threads, or black claws

    UMD: (1d20+20)[31] - Determine how to activate the bead as well as its charges

    Last edited by forg99rules; 2018-05-11 at 10:04 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Arina stopped short, caught off-guard at the unexpected carnage. She agreed with Aden's assessment--this certainly was similar to Stella's wounds, uncomfortably so--but then she paused. The creature they were racing didn't seem particularly subtle. "Maybe... but I have a feeling that if she had beaten us here things would look far, far worse." She fixed a smile on her face, hoping deputy Emithy would be amicable enough from their previous encounter. "Please. It's an urgent matter, we don't have much time to waste. Just a little information is all we need--your help would be invaluable."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy roll: (1d20+8)[15]
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

    Most recent update: Chapter 5: Decisions

    -----

    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

    Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Returner - Stella Astral




    Main Quest: The World Betwixt
    An alien and foreign world. An even stranger land and people. Rising from the mires, you find yourself in a place unlike any you've seen before. Somewhere between a dream, a spirit land and reality, this world resided. Everything about it seemed to bristle with magic of a different sort, a type which didn't even seem familiar. You had come to be healed, and seeing the strangeness of the universe around you, you felt you had come to the right place. For it was so unique, that it didn't seem a stretch of the truth to believe that such a cure could be found quite easily. Yet, that same thought also drove home a fact; you were a long way from home.
    Difficulty: None | Status: On-Going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Objective:Heal your wounds.


    ??th of Rova, Sunday - Time: ?:12 am (Morning) / AR 4707
    Tangi'thac; Du'ased'taur
    Unknown; Unknown


    The small witch wore a smile but her face was lacking intent, as if she weren't sure how to respond to the gesture. She didn't turn about, but tilted her head while speaking between her teeth, her word's evidently directed behind her. "Vhe'bo'zha nindo'haliizi Ael C'nros gulta, U'Uljilatli? Xu'ustaan'phlynn'ol?" The voice carried with it the same many voiced mystical sound as the owl, a resonance which echoed from a hundred mouths. Stella recognized the words as the strange tongue that neither she nor the inquisitor understood. The bird replied in kind, nodding. "Naath Xaan'ss'd'yor zi'g'rftte, naau'guuh'lac. L'C'nros zhaah'vees bhekeaa!" The short Witch's face beamed at the owl's reply, taking the whetstone from Stella with sparkling eyes filled with appreciation. Abygael's doll eyes silently rolled over to Stella with a frown. '...They think you've gifted gifted them one of your Xanss'Yorn as thanks. In this world, physical representations which are codified in text are extremely difficult to manifest, namely due to the volatile nature of this universe. Which is fairly evident.... These are words of power, of which every creature only possesses a finite amount... These are the realities of a creature's existence conceptualized by the Weave. If you were to have written your own name, then you truly would have done this. You would have given her the essence of all joy from your present existence... Be glad you've heeded my word.'

    The inquisitor signed, picking up the girl and then grasped the golden thread. As her hand met the string, they were launched with violent force down the painted path the girl had carved into the world. While she couldn't be sure of the difference between the Waldfrau and the Witch named Allatalialva'tevel, she knew they were two completely different things. The Waldfrau commanded what was perhaps hundreds of thousands of threads in a turning web of shifting patterns with barely a gesture of a hand, bending the world and shaping it to her will. Yet those threads had no glowed gold, Allatal had plucked something unique from the air and created something from nothing, defining the world and providing them a path... A path which stretched miles. They rocketed down the world-corridor of beautiful blooming water colors and splashes of wild living shades. Then after a moment, they stopped, as if striking a bubble of air before finding gentle footing. They were far now from the swamp, it had almost been as if they had traveled days worth in mere minutes. It was a speed which was difficult to comprehend, but now the notion that the Murrpau which rallied against her friends could move at such a speed, didn't seem so ridiculous.

    The thick lush forest was defined about them with vivid colors for a large area around them. A quiet house stood before them, it was quaint and simple. Perhaps generations old, but well maintained. It held three floors based on her speculation while looking on from outside, or perhaps the third was an attic as only one window faced outward. Various signs she couldn't read were nailed to the exterior, a rarity based on what the inquisitor had stated. Strange wisps of light danced all about the house illuminating the exterior giving it the appearance of a fairy hut. The door squeaked open by itself and from the interior an old voice came hurtling out, "VE'BOL ZHA'INDE!? AHYGA!!! DID YOU BRING ANOTHER HUUMA TO MY HOUSE!? NO HUUMAS ALLOWED! THEY STINK! THEY SCRATCH THE FURNITURE! THEY BREAK THINGS! GET IT OUT!" Abygael took a slow breath. The old voice which yelled out belligerently had a strange accent, but his Taldane was very clear. Remarkably so versus the audience they had just left. "You may speak now, but only in the house." The woman stormed into the house, dragging the girl behind her. Unusual felines of all manner milled about the relatively neat house. A fluffy black cat yawned from it's seat on a rather plush couch, "Oh... Frith be damned, Ahyga returns." A glass bottle came hurtling across the room to smash the feline in the face and send it sprawling on the floor. "I WONT ALLOW THAT KIND OF LANGUAGE IN MY HOUSE, L'LILEPHALIC!" The inquisitor stepped on the felled creature with her heavy boot dragging Stella along all the while, glancing at the girl once to drive the point. "Damn Murrpau..."

    The notion clicked all at once. It was the cats. The damned cats were the Murrpau. An old decrepit man sat in a corner surrounded by all manner of strange devices, tubes which almost looked like a soft glass ran from containers of similar material and into his veins and different parts of his body. Concoctions of an uncertain purpose filled the containers, along with the still-whole bodies of unusual fairy-like creatures floating within. The old man was shrouded in layers of clothing, but she was certain that he was no human. The unusual arch of his body that snaked up into a hunch before terminating into a human face beneath the garb was evidence enough. "I know you haven't returned to finish your training, girl. I want an explanation." "I've..." A stubby finger shot out accusingly, "NO! ....Not from you." His finger shifted over slowly to hover menacingly in Stella's face. His limb was freakishly long, seemingly extending to a length as long as the inquisitor was tall. "....From you." The ancient man-creature was terrifying in a strange and unusual way. Despite his crippled state, she doubted that had diminished his magic by any degree. She would need to consider her words carefully.


    Spoiler: Rewards | EXP
    Show

    ֍ Stella XP +150
    ⯎ Gem of Telepathy: 5/5 Charges, 3 min duration - Identified use with UMD


    Stella HP: 1/17
    ✦ Spited (Returner)
    ⭍ Spite increases by 1 (Knowledge: Forbidden)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increase due to Knowledge (Forbidden)
    ⭍ Stella's move speed is reduced by 10
    ⭍ Stella takes [roll0] points of constitution damage
    ⭍ Stella takes [roll1] points of wisdom damage
    ⭍ Stella's HP reduced to 0
    ⭍ Stella's checks other than Forbidden have failed due to Spite
    ⭍ Knowledge (Local) has been Spited and may not be used until Spite is reduced to 0
    (Some effects of Spite remain active until the current value is lessened or removed completely)






    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 01:28 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    She was a bit confused when the little witch had taken the whetstone from her, the explanation from Abygael though made sense. Though she did not know what a Xanss'Yorn was she now understood that even a simple gesture could have huge ramifications in this world. Such a thing worried her greatly, she did not have the knowledge to survive here on her own. If she wished to make it out of here alive she would have to rely heavily on Abygael's knowledge and wisdom to make it through. So far she had heeded it and was glad that she did, to lose part of her existence was not something she was willing to do.

    As they rocketed down the path she wondered just how powerful that little girl was, to have seemingly created something from nothing had impressed her. Such a power was something that she desired greatly and hoped that once she was fixed that she could possibly find someone to teach it to her all over again... that or find Adessa and relearn from her once again. As they came to a stop she marveled at the distance that they had traveled, it surprised her a bit but at the same time she knew that it really shouldn't have. Looking up at the house that stood in front of her she wondered who exactly they were meeting with, she had initially thought that the little girl was going to provide the help she needed but it seemed she was incorrect with that assumption. Hearing the voice yelling out in Taldane was a bit of a blessing, she had worried that Abygael would have to keep translating to her. She of course had not problem with that as it was less likely for her to say something wrong if the woman spoke for her. Being dragged into the house was not pleasant, she wished that Abygael would be a bit more gentle but she knew that the woman most likely would just kill her if she was not being paid such a large amount of coin to have her be fixed. Hearing that she was allowed to speak in this house made her wonder what was different about this location as to anywhere else within this realm. Did the rules not apply the same here or was it more that the ones that resided here not care enough to try bending them to their benefit.

    The notion that the Cats were Murrpau intrigued her, so far she had been guessing as to what form these creatures took. She was sure that Cats weren't the only form they could take but still she was glad to learn something new. As her eyes fell on the man she felt a bead of sweat run down her back, he looked odd to her with all those contraptions running into his veins. Odd but powerful, she did not want to get on this mans bad side as she knew that she stood no chance of surviving against him. As the man asked for an explanation she looked up at Abygael expectantly figuring that she would provide one. When the man instead directed the question towards her she felt a knot form in the pit of her stomach, the way the question was worded worried her that this man had met her at some point. She was not completely sure how to respond but she knew it would have to be tactful, bowing to the man she spoke weighing each word as it came out of her mouth. "Hello, she was hired to cure a cursed wound I received from a Murrpau as I can not fix it on my own."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


    Survival: (1d20+8)[20] to determine how far we actually traveled if possible.

    Know Abstract: (1d20+23)[24] or (1d20+23)[31] - for what forms Murrpau can take... or at least what ones i know so far


  10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Cursed, The Immortal & The Haunted - Aden, Feliks & Arina


    22th of Rova, Sunday - Time: 7:46 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Autumn)
    The Lost Coast Road; Sandpoint Hinterlands
    Town of Sandpoint; Town Square




    Main Quest: Seven Days of Night
    Memories of the present were still blurred by those of the past, muddling everything together. Yet, they had not forgotten their time in that other reality... It had perhaps been a lifetime ago, for they had lived each day of both the present and that place they once knew. It was as if they had woken up from the longest dream, and now it was difficult to tell which was real. Whenever the truth fell into question, the needed only look at the grim card still clutched in Stella's grasp. Only the words from the Primeval Dark remain to guide you towards answers, but you can't help feeling as if you're simply grasping at straws.
    Difficulty: Lethal | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: 13 minutes
    Objective:Rumors have reached your ears of the so called 'Weeping Witch' haunting Sandpoint's streets, and strange creatures have begun appearing around the Sandpoint Hinterlands. This information was bought from Riddleport's Harriers, but the job was undertaken by the veteran hunter Kynd. Whatever the truth is, you must find it before that Offworlder does.

    Ͽ ◯ Ͼ


    The Cursed Potential Advancement: Out of Control
    Some men valued one thing above all others. They fought for it, died for it, but not all men were equal. He knew it the moment the witch let slip the intentions of the spirit named Kynd. The look on Rello's face wasn't the expression of any sane person; she was a mad dog, a bloodthirsty beast. Kynd had done her a grievance, and now that she'd tasted blood she intended to destroy anything - or anyone which stood in her way. He was against the clock, standing between a murderous spirit and a woman caught in her own death frenzy. He only knew one thing, whatever was behind that smile didn't mean well for anyone. She was out of control.
    Difficulty: Moderate | Status: On-going | Time: None
    Prerequisite: Quest: Seven Days of Night
    Reward: Potential Advancement.
    Influence: Survival, Truth, Misfortune, Tactics
    Objective: Survive. Or complete objective in 20min
    Progress: (7/20)


    The young man Emithy seemed to buy into Aden's words well enough, but the older, larger man next to him nearly swatted him aside. "Your business with common criminals is none of mine, but I promise you, If you get in the way of my work... I'll see you confined, and the sheriff can sort you out." The young man, Emithy, many years the deputy's junior raised a hand to defuse the quickly escalating situation. "No need for that, sir. I'm sure he was just looking for the sheriff, they do have something of a business relationship after all... and this man here.." He gestured at Feliks, "Is a renowned healer, I'm sure he could help. He's here at the invitation of Mayor Deverin and the Rellos, it's the first olive branch of their relationship, sir. Surely even you don't want to step on the mayor's toes. With Father Zantus unavailable, we need his kind of help." The older man seemed to grow hesitant as Emithy proceeded to effortlessly weave lie after lie without so much as a nervous blink. If they hadn't been the subject of the matter, even they wouldn't have been able to guess that the story was completely fabricated. They couldn't see the deputy's eyes, which were covered by the bill of his helmet, but they could see his stance actively shifting "...And the rest of them?" The young man didn't lose a step, replying with an elegant verbal riposte, "They are his escort, one chosen from Kendra and the Rellos respectively." The man through up his arms in defeat, "Fine! Whatever, you take care of them, just get them off my street."

    The young man pulled the crew aside towards the medical tent, "Sorry about that, Deputy Kliffton doesn't play nice with others." Aden noted now that he was closer to the downed men that they evidently weren't dead, they were still breathing, but were evidently worse-for-wear. He still couldn't see anything which could have caused their state outwardly, no bruises nor swelling or hint of a wound. (Aden | Perception: Partial)

    "There's not too much to say, reports of a witch entering the building came in awhile ago. We tried sending men in, but this was the result..." He gestured at the men in the tent. "The only information we have about the interior is that there's two halflings and the witch, perhaps more but we couldn't confirm. When we tried to enter the men said they heard a woman weeping. Afterwards they fell into convulsions and ended up in this nasty state. We don't actually know if what they heard is related, or if there's other magic at work here. The sheriff got called out to the church by Father Zantus, it's the first word we've received since he vanished inside the cathedral. Seemed pretty important, but not 'convulsing on the ground'-important." The young man put a hand in his pocket with a devil-may-care grin, "Now you know what's going on... So why the hell did you come all the way out here? Fair is fair, after all."


    Spoiler: Rewards | EXP
    Show


    ֍ Aden XP +150 (2,600xp)

    ֍ Arina XP +100 (2,250xp)

    ֍ Feliks XP +200 (2,450xp)




    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 01:30 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Returner - Stella Astral




    Main Quest: The World Betwixt
    An alien and foreign world. An even stranger land and people. Rising from the mires, you find yourself in a place unlike any you've seen before. Somewhere between a dream, a spirit land and reality, this world resided. Everything about it seemed to bristle with magic of a different sort, a type which didn't even seem familiar. You had come to be healed, and seeing the strangeness of the universe around you, you felt you had come to the right place. For it was so unique, that it didn't seem a stretch of the truth to believe that such a cure could be found quite easily. Yet, that same thought also drove home a fact; you were a long way from home.
    Difficulty: None | Status: On-Going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Objective:Heal your wounds.


    ??th of Rova, Sunday - Time: ?:14 am (Morning) / AR 4707
    Tangi'thac; Du'ased'taur
    Unknown; Unknown


    Stella couldn't entirely be sure just how far they had traveled in that short span of time, but at the rate it carried them, and assuming that distance here was comparable to the physical world... At least a few hundred miles had been put between where they were and where they found themselves. Easily the distance between Magnimar and Sandpoint, or perhaps beyond. Great valleys, mountainous spans and dales had all been skipped over in mere minutes with dizzying speed. As far as Murrpau were concerned, the memories of their characteristics were sparse at best. She knew for certain that their forms were vastly effected by the type of Murrpau they were, that is to say, their clan. Yet, it was also largely influenced by if they were in spiritual form, or possessing a physical body, and also what plane that spirit currently resided. Brief words from Adessa came to mind reminding her of the complexity of such spirits, and of her difficulty in understanding those convoluted lessons. Whatever the truth was, it had no definitive answer and would change with the spirit in question and the conditions which that spirit lived, with sub-races amongst their number also holding unique factors which determined their various manifestations. From what she remembered, it had been an entire school of study dedicated towards understanding various spirit's genealogy. Most such individuals only focused on one or two different spiritual races. At the very least she knew that the physical ones were.... physical. Displaying similar characteristics to their hosts. It was not a topic which had brought her much joy in the past... only failed tests. (Stella | Knowledge/Survival - Partial)

    "NO! Not you girl! ...HIM!" Once again the man's finger pointed accusingly at Stella. Abygael returned the short witch's glance of concern, evidently not understanding what the old man was getting at. Then all at once, she understood his meaning, taking a step away. Stella found herself standing next to... herself. At first the strangeness of it convinced her that she was next to a mirror, but the surroundings behind her were not reflected and that answer was immediately dispelled. She gave a cunning grin, once she couldn't recognize having ever shown - outwardly at least. A familiar voice spoke out with well-measured tone and voice, a perfect clarity. "Oh my. So you did notice after all. I had almost expected you to have grown dull and old in your idleness. It appears I was mistaken." The old man huffed and puffed, "Old!? OF COURSE I'M OLD! The problem is you! Was that supposed to be your attempt at Quortek'l'as? What kind of joke is that! It's you who have been left to rust!" The fake girl threw her head to the side with a snarl in an animalistic fashion. "I should have expected as much from the Immortal of Quarry." The old man retracted his hand, crossing his arms as he spoke "...And what business does the Deceiver of the Father have with this child? You haven't haunted a mortal since before the stars fell."

    The illusion of herself faded into mist, leaving the large crimson tint of the great beast's fur in its place. He was smaller than before, only standing a head taller than the short witch, but still the same familiar wolf she knew. Afsspa'sol. The creature grinned, "I've taken an interest. Greater still, that I've found myself in the presence of Ijelevetol'tevel." The old man didn't seem convinced, "Humph. You haven't taken an interest in anything in a long time... I've heard she is now Ael C'nros. If she's abandoned Isto'thac and your foul Witch, then I can't see what business left you'd have with her." The large wolf laughed and cackled in a menacing way "These words are no reply to what the fates have left for answer. Your oaths. Your Wheel and Council. They are all meaningless. Forever without power nor significance in absence of the First or Elahkhuur. You can't bind this one, nor me. Try if you might... convince the C'nros'dalhar with your words and deed. Convince her why we should not devour your world. Unchained, they all return to the fold, in time." The old man rolled his eyes, he'd heard those words before. It was the sort of retort one gave when facing the same old points in an argument which, while fact, were so stale raising them in counterargument had become tasteless. "Well then, I suppose we'll just have to find out what's so special about this one." The cats. The old man. The wolf. The inquisitor, and a pair of eyes from the darkness of the stairs leading up to a second floor. Their attention was all on her.

    The old man cleared his throat, his tone moderate for once "I am Ijelevetol'tevel, The Immortal of Quarry. I am the Elder Sage of the Council. To those like you, I am the one who determines a souls merit and worth in the magical arts. Be they Witches or Speakers, or anything in between. It is by my determination which they are made. Just as I have met every Witch ever minted since the founding of the Council, so too have I met you... long ago. Twas I who taught you the Quortek'l'as before your world was terminated, and that is the reason why you still exist. Though... evidently, not performed very well, you ultimately succeeded in at least sending your spirit to another point. Congratulations." The old man looked at the inquisitor, "I see you're also traveling with Ahyga'lastal... I hadn't expected to see her again, let alone the two of you together. Speaking of which... Why are you wearing that dreadful cloak?" The woman signed, throwing it over her shoulder. "The cure you seek... and plainly need, is not one which you are entitled. If you wish to be healed, then you must earn the right to remain in Quarry. Neither Ael C'nros, nor C'nros'dalhar are welcome in this city. You must earn your right to stay, from a Sage of the Council. Fortunately..." The wolf snickered, "...Here we go." the old man shot the wolf a pointed glare, "...Fortunately. I am a such a Sage, and have such a request. Find my granddaughter; Amarillis'ailok. Wherever she is, she is not taking to her studies. Somewhere in the city she's run off from school, bring her back to Magthe'faer; the School of the Greater Arcana. You may take one with you, but you must do this alone... One, except Ahyga'lastal. The last thing this city needs is She Who Scarred the Valley and you, running through the streets."



    Spoiler: Rewards | EXP
    Show

    ֍ Stella XP +150 (3,100xp)
    ⯎ Gem of Telepathy: 5/5 Charges, 3 min duration - Identified use with UMD


    Stella HP: 1/17
    ✦ Spited (Returner)
    ⭍ Spite increases by 1 (Knowledge: Forbidden)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increase due to Knowledge (Forbidden)
    ⭍ Stella's move speed is reduced by 10
    ⭍ Stella takes [roll0] points of constitution damage
    ⭍ Stella takes [roll1] points of wisdom damage
    ⭍ Stella's HP reduced to 0
    ⭍ Stella's checks other than Forbidden have failed due to Spite
    ⭍ Knowledge (Local) has been Spited and may not be used until Spite is reduced to 0
    (Some effects of Spite remain active until the current value is lessened or removed completely)





    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 01:33 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    "It seems to be this." he says waving a hand around at the carnage as he begins to move towards the nearest victim to begin looking over them medically. "We were sent I guess, at the moment not entirely sure, but to find a crying woman who is apparently some sort of witch."

    "Some sort thing is chasing after her and apparently she has something or is something. Which is related to the witch who is currently being treated with no distractions allowed. And so we're out here to stop the thing from getting her."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Here is my roll here.
    (1d20+11)[17]
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Exiled Son - Asiresh





    Main Quest: Goodnight World
    They had crushed your very existence. Scattered your soul across the realms and existence and cast you down into the filth of the mortal's world. Yet still you remained, still you struggled. Still you lived. A few hundred million years had found you in perhaps the worst state you had ever been, feeble and old. Even the body which you found yourself inhabiting could not be called the original. You've suffered chilling nights and blistering mornings, tortured and mangled, waiting for this chance. The devil which once haunted you many lifetimes ago had vanished, never to be seen again it seemed since you came to this world. It had been the first time in a long time you had ever been truly alone. Now it was time to destroy those who plotted against you, reclaim your birthright, and set the Cycle right. You were coming home.
    Difficulty: Moderate | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Progress: (0/2)
    Primary Objective: Escape
    Alternate Objective: Find your brother, Sino'fel



    The old man's equipment was thrown about haphazardly, covered in slime and filth. Fortunately, it looked like his equipment had been soiled to the point of becoming unserviceable. There were a few tools scattered about the cell, a shovel and small hammer, even a few bloodied pitons, but not much else. Asiresh found his bow thrown in a corner, stringing the weapon he could see signs of rot beginning to show on the thread from the long period of misuse. It wouldn't last for more than a dozen shots. He would need to carefully place every arrow he fired and find a suitable replacement. His weary eyes scanned about the confined space, finally settling on something he hadn't noted before. A horrible looking hole used for drainage lay tucked away on the far end of the chamber. He knew the proper exit was just around the corner, after all the holding cells of his prison had never been locked. The actual door which led out of the room was a heavy wooden barrier reinforced with steel. When it was closed, it was a blessing, for outside the smell could kill a man. Often they left it open just to torment those held in the prison within.

    The drainage hole held his interest simply because he'd never noticed it before. It was just large enough for a person to navigate though, and the bars which secured it were rusted and hanging in place. A few good kicks would probably knock them right off. "...H-Hey...y-you." A soft voice called out from somewhere, evidently strained. His eyes dotted around himself, finally finding the source. A figured buried in wet rags in another cell on the other side of the room. It was one of the more recent arrivals. "Help... Help me. You... trying to escape, right? Help me, an' I'll help you." It was difficult to determine if the figure was a man or woman, as the voice sounded like it belonged to a young boy. The devil shrugged nonchalantly, not necessarily caring either way. He had twelve good shots before he risked breaking his string. He was wounded, and the filthy cloth tied to his face was barely effective at even blocking out the stench of his own sheit-covered cell. He had his work cut out for him. "It matters not to me what you choose to do. I will feed on souls regardless of the cause of death. Should they die in your service, all the better. Though perhaps this one might prove useful, though minor, this creature possesses at least some skill."


    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Asiresh HP: 18/28
    ⯎ Asiresh's hands are bound (Freed)
    ⯎ Asiresh's equipment has been recovered
    ✦ Asiresh's bow string has rotted. After a number of uses it risks breaking: 12/12 Uses
    ✦ Asiresh is nauseated while he remains in the smog (DC20 Fort to resist for 1d3 rounds)
    [Nauseated condition not yet applied]: Creatures with the nauseated condition experience stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.


    ✦ Spited: 50 (Exiled Son)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (1)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (2)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (3)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (4)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (5)


    ✦ Wounds: Asiresh
    ⯎ Land speed reduced to 10 ft - Cannot run (Healed: Duration - 2 days)
    ⯎ Strenuous actions deal 1 point of damage (Healed)
    ⯎ Strenuous actions have a 10% chance of causing bleed 1d4 rounds (Healed)



    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 01:33 AM.

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    She was shocked when the man once again pointed his finger at her, though he appeared to be speaking at someone else this time as he said Him. As she noticed another her standing there she took a step cautious step back. The being spoke to the old man and she listened as they went back and forth, she recognized the title that the old man gave the being. Deceiver of the Father, that was what Afsppa'sol had called himself, as the illusion faded she finally knew for sure that it was him. Why he had haunted her she did not know, though she did wonder at what point it had started. The fact that Afsppa'sol had taken an interest in her was both intriguing and a bit terrifying, she knew having a spirit latch onto her could be both beneficial as well as harmful but she really wondered if the benefits of this one could out weight the harm that might be done.

    As the conversation switched and all eyes were suddenly on her a weight could be felt in her chest, the sudden attention was nerve wracking as the ones that were looking at her could end her existence with easy. Though there was a pair of eyes that she did not know the owners of, someone or something was on the stairs watching as well. She listened to the old man as he spoke, they had met once by his words and he had even taught her something that had most likely saved her when her world had been destroyed. The weight in her chest grew heavier as the old man explained that she would have to earn the cure that she was seeking. She would not be welcome in this place without the blessing from a Sage of the Council, He was one such Sage and would provide his blessing should she complete his task of finding his granddaughter.

    She thought hard on what the old man had just said, she knew that traveling this realm without a guide or someone to keep her safe was asking for deaths embrace. Not having her memories as well as not knowing anyone that resided here was going to cause even more issues for her. That was on top of being a C'nros'dalhar, though she could claim to be a Ael C'nros from Adessa and that might alleviate some of the worry. The thought of speaking such a thing herself was not a pleasant one as she did not want to even pretend to turn her back on Adessa. Her eyes turned towards the stairwell curiosity once again causing her to wonder who was there and if they might be willing to help her. Figuring that there was only one way to get answers to the questions she was seeking she began first with one of the more pressing issues, "I would be happy to search for you granddaughter, though I don't know the area or anyone that resides here... I would have taken Ahyga'lastal with me but since that is not an option I will have to figure out who else could accompany me... But before I figure that out, I am a bit curious as to who is lurking on the stairs. I can feel the eyes staring at me from them and don't want to take the risk of speaking wrongly without knowing who all is watching." Her eyes continued to roam the stairs searching for the one that was watching.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


    Perception: (1d20+11)[30] for who be lurking in the stairs.

    Last edited by forg99rules; 2018-05-13 at 06:48 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Returner - Stella Astral




    Main Quest: The World Betwixt
    An alien and foreign world. An even stranger land and people. Rising from the mires, you find yourself in a place unlike any you've seen before. Somewhere between a dream, a spirit land and reality, this world resided. Everything about it seemed to bristle with magic of a different sort, a type which didn't even seem familiar. You had come to be healed, and seeing the strangeness of the universe around you, you felt you had come to the right place. For it was so unique, that it didn't seem a stretch of the truth to believe that such a cure could be found quite easily. Yet, that same thought also drove home a fact; you were a long way from home.
    Difficulty: None | Status: On-Going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Objective:Heal your wounds.


    ??th of Rova, Sunday - Time: ?:16 am (Morning) / AR 4707
    Tangi'thac; Du'ased'taur
    Unknown; Unknown


    Afsspa'sol chuckled at the question and the old Sage stoked his chin. Stella couldn't make out the figure who had been spying upon her from the darkness of the second floor, all she was able to make out was an amorphous blob of shadow leering out. Then it was gone. Ijelevetol shook his head, "Pay no mind to that one. That would be my daughter, Huakeljatel'tevel. She wouldn't be of much use to you I'm afraid, as she does not speak your language." The great wolf took a lap around Stella while eying the old man, his tail seemed to cling closely to her - almost possessively. "Now, now, old friend. That determination lays with her does it not? You gave her the choice, the right to appoint her own company. If she wishes to bring along the Witch of Depthless Night, well, that's no longer your concern." The inquisitor shook her head, she didn't look at the short witch but her words were directed at Stella "I would advise against that in particular. No good will come of it."

    The Elder Sage crossed his arms hesitantly, "It's true that I should have also listed my daughter as being removed from this affair, and failed to do so. While I cannot endorse the decision, I will honor it if that is your choice. Otherwise, pay her no mind." The wolf huffed, almost disappointed the man didn't put up more resistance to the suggestion. "...Well I suppose it would be bothersome anyways. How you would convince her to go is a matter elusive even to me. Ask what questions you have now, girl. Once you begin, you'll be on your own."


    Spoiler: Rewards | EXP
    Show

    ֍ Stella XP +100 (3,200xp)
    ⯎ Gem of Telepathy: 5/5 Charges, 3 min duration - Identified use with UMD


    Stella HP: 1/17
    ✦ Spited (Returner)
    ⭍ Spite increases by 1 (Knowledge: Forbidden)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increase due to Knowledge (Forbidden)
    ⭍ Stella's move speed is reduced by 10
    ⭍ Stella takes [roll0] points of constitution damage
    ⭍ Stella takes [roll1] points of wisdom damage
    ⭍ Stella's HP reduced to 0
    ⭍ Stella's checks other than Forbidden have failed due to Spite
    ⭍ Knowledge (Local) has been Spited and may not be used until Spite is reduced to 0
    (Some effects of Spite remain active until the current value is lessened or removed completely)





    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 01:34 AM.

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    iValkyrieX's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Asiresh

    Startled by the voice in the room not coming from inside his head, Asiresh turns suddenly and nearly nocks an arrow but stops himself as the devil says he could be of some use to them. "How long have you been in here? What skills do you offer me if I bring you with me. No matter. You can come with me as long as you don't slow me down. When the time comes we will need to kill." Asiresh walks over to where the voice is coming from and attempts to pick the lock that binds them. Now pacing the room trying to think Asiresh states, "We must move before anyone comes to find us. We might be able to use this hole here once we break the bars off. It seems it might lead straight into the filth that lies beyond the door to the outside, perhaps a sewer for the city." He walks over to the bars and attempts to break them enough so he may slip through. Doing one more look over the room to see if he can spot anything more.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Disable device check (probably not gunna work.)
    (1d20-1)[13]

    Strength check to break the bars on the hole
    (1d20+4)[5]

    And a perception check on the mystery person
    (1d20+10)[28]

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    Her head tilted to the side as an eyebrow was raised, the name of the Daughter along with the Sages name caused her pause for a moment. Her mind traced back for a second and she realized that it was very similar to the little girl that had taken her whetstone and sent her along to come here or at least it seemed similar with all three ending with tevel. "Hmm well I wonder if that girl would be an option, though she is to far away to be a valid one unless someone can summon her here..." She listened to Afsppa'sol argue for her right to appoint whomever she wanted, as the Old Sage agreed it suddenly clicked inside of her mind. "I wonder, if I can choose to appoint anyone then that should include the Sage himself..." A mischievous grin formed on her face as she turned back to the Sage, "I will agree with the advice given and not choose your daughter, though it did give me a grand idea. Since everyone except Ahyga'lastal is an option I assume that means you are an option as well correct? If so then I think I will pick you, it is after all the only logical choice I can think of at the moment. I know not the area nor anyone else here... Besides as you stated Ael C'nros and C'nros'dalhar are both un-welcome in Quarry, if I had you with me though I doubt I would be given to many issues from the others that reside here. It would make it easier to find your granddaughter and convince her to go back to the school." Her eyes flashed over those present finally resting on the old sage as she checked what their reaction was to her choice. "Am I allowed to pick you?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


    Going for broke here lol, hope I don't die from this.


  18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Exiled Son - Asiresh





    Main Quest: Goodnight World
    They had crushed your very existence. Scattered your soul across the realms and existence and cast you down into the filth of the mortal's world. Yet still you remained, still you struggled. Still you lived. A few hundred million years had found you in perhaps the worst state you had ever been, feeble and old. Even the body which you found yourself inhabiting could not be called the original. You've suffered chilling nights and blistering mornings, tortured and mangled, waiting for this chance. The devil which once haunted you many lifetimes ago had vanished, never to be seen again it seemed since you came to this world. It had been the first time in a long time you had ever been truly alone. Now it was time to destroy those who plotted against you, reclaim your birthright, and set the Cycle right. You were coming home.
    Difficulty: Moderate | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Progress: (0/2)
    Primary Objective: Escape
    Alternate Objective: Find your brother, Sino'fel



    Asiresh found the manacles around the prisoner's wrists to be in disrepair. Perhaps only slightly better than rope, they easily were removed with a short bit of effort. Looking at the figure, he still couldn't be sure if he was speaking to a man or woman, but eventually settled on a young man. His face was very fair and effeminate, but his stature was solid and evidently strong. More suited to bashing in skulls than finesse at range. The man didn't smell as foul as himself, as his own waste still stained his clothes, but the oder was still unpleasant. A thick musk of liquor mixed in with the stench of sewage. He rolled over on the floor, discombobulated and evidently not entirely about his wits. His things were similarly thrown about the cell haphazardly, as if their captors had been searching for something, and not finding it, leaving all else to rot in this hole. He turned about and left the cell to inspect the drainage pipe.

    The man still rolled about the floor, barrel rolling halfway down his cell before stopping at his near-empty pack. The rest of the contents were cast about the room. "Time... here? Uh... A day i guess?" He dug through the sack lazily with one hand, still laying on the floor until he finally found a rather expensive looking silver flask. He unscrewed the top and took a swig, seemingly becoming alert as the contents hit his tongue. He shook his head as if fighting back a sudden chill. "The lads didn't take so well to my earnings, but a merc's paid what they're worth, and they weren't worth much..." He took a second hit from the flask. "Admittedly, I might have been a tad... inebriated while celebrating a job well done. Can't blame a freesword for looking for some company, where company can be found, right?" He begun rolling himself off the sickly ground like a drunk climbing out of a ditch. "Needless to say, the lass spiked my ale... and here we are. Quite a night." The old elf gave the rusted bars a good kick. They bent, but didn't come off.

    The young man begun throwing his things haphazardly into his worn rucksack without bothering to wipe off the grime, or even pay much heed to the condition of his things. At least that was how it appeared, until he retrieved a strange pistol. Inspecting the chambers, cleaning off most of the grime and seeing that it was loaded before sliding it away in his holster. Then he lifted a massive weapon from the ground. The elf had thought it a spear, until the sides of the hearder projecting from the side's came into view. Greatswords were big. This was bigger. Much bigger. For all intents and purposes, the sword was a spear, just sword-shaped. He had to carry it at an angle to heft it on a shoulder, or it would drag behind. "Hoh, now that's a weapon." the devil chimed in the old man's head. "Skills? Well, Im'a Harrier, one of the best in the Loveless Company. Killings the business, but for profit not pleasure. Im sort'a a big deal, they call me Iron Hawk. Heard of me?" He'd been trapped in a cage for over two years, he hadn't. But he had heard of a reckless mercenary who wielded a massive sword of iron who was quite famous for killing me in a single blow. Sometimes Harriers were troops, other times adventurers, or even assassins. They were whatever you needed them to be at the end of the day, which was how he came to hear of different groups of Harriers while searching for Luka. What he had learned was that there were two head Companies of mercenaries amongst the Harrier bands, the company of sellswords called 'Chyne' named after their leaders - The Brothers Chyne, two frightfully powerful Gales; and their opposition a company of mercenaries called 'Loveless'. Loveless was similarly named after its leader, a woman whose true identity was held in confidence by the few who knew her. While Loveless was smaller, they sported an array of skilled mercenaries and made sure to change prices appropriate to that skill. Unlike Chyne Company, the sellswords of Loveless weren't a well organized army. They were rag-tag individuals, more often than not, misfits in some fashion.

    Asiresh kicked the grating harder this time, snapping off a bar from the blow. "Anyways, boss. Now I work for you. I'll make us lots of money, just need to find the right people to kill, or the right person who'll pay for it." He kicked the bars again, breaking them off the wall, but stubbing his toe from the force. (1 pt of damage)

    "So how long you been down here anyways?"


    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Asiresh HP: 17/28
    ⯎ Asiresh's hands are bound (Freed)
    ⯎ Asiresh's equipment has been recovered
    ✦ Asiresh's bow string has rotted. After a number of uses it risks breaking: 12/12 Uses
    ✦ Asiresh is nauseated while he remains in the smog (DC20 Fort to resist for 1d3 rounds)
    [Nauseated condition not yet applied]: Creatures with the nauseated condition experience stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.


    ✦ Spited: 50 (Exiled Son)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (1)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (2)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (3)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (4)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (5)


    ✦ Wounds: Asiresh
    ⯎ Land speed reduced to 10 ft - Cannot run (Healed: Duration - 2 days)
    ⯎ Strenuous actions deal 1 point of damage (Healed)
    ⯎ Strenuous actions have a 10% chance of causing bleed 1d4 rounds (Healed)



    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 01:36 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Arina shook her head. "There's something else looking for this witch--something that will tear your people apart rather than leave them unconscious. And it's coming here fast. We thought it best we try to find her first." She gave a worried glance toward the door. It seemed the Weeping Witch wasn't too keen on visitors, though she doubted she could keep this Kynd out--or that she wanted to be around to see one way or the other. "Either way, it would probably be best to get your people out of here in the next few minutes," she continues quietly.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

    Most recent update: Chapter 5: Decisions

    -----

    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

    Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    iValkyrieX's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Asiresh

    Cursing under his breath at the shyte bars and his unfortunate luck when trying to exert himself. "Never heard of you. Most likely because I've been down here near two years...I think. I figured its time to leave now. Quite the sword you got there lad. Are you going to be able to handle that given our current position? Either way we will have to make due. My equipment has been sitting in this filth and has degraded too much. My bow only looks like the string can last a few more shots before its beyond use. We must time our encounters and take it slow. Now should we sneak out through the drain hole or just go out the front door and take the direct route? I'm sure you would be better in the front of the group since you have the large sword while I shoot from afar." As Asiresh is talking he is looking into the other cells for anything that stands out to him while sneaking around to not disturb anyone if there is someone still in the cell.

    Once the boy decides which route to take they will move out with caution.

    Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Stealth check for pretty much everything from here on. I'll probably roll a periodic check to keep stealth up while moving just in case something happens.
    (1d20+5)[18]

    Perception check on the other cells
    (1d20+10)[27]

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Cursed, The Immortal & The Haunted - Aden, Feliks & Arina


    22th of Rova, Sunday - Time: 7:46 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Autumn)
    The Lost Coast Road; Sandpoint Hinterlands
    Town of Sandpoint; Town Square




    Main Quest: Seven Days of Night
    Memories of the present were still blurred by those of the past, muddling everything together. Yet, they had not forgotten their time in that other reality... It had perhaps been a lifetime ago, for they had lived each day of both the present and that place they once knew. It was as if they had woken up from the longest dream, and now it was difficult to tell which was real. Whenever the truth fell into question, the needed only look at the grim card still clutched in Stella's grasp. Only the words from the Primeval Dark remain to guide you towards answers, but you can't help feeling as if you're simply grasping at straws.
    Difficulty: Lethal | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: 12 minutes
    Objective:Rumors have reached your ears of the so called 'Weeping Witch' haunting Sandpoint's streets, and strange creatures have begun appearing around the Sandpoint Hinterlands. This information was bought from Riddleport's Harriers, but the job was undertaken by the veteran hunter Kynd. Whatever the truth is, you must find it before that Offworlder does.

    Ͽ ◯ Ͼ


    The Cursed Potential Advancement: Out of Control
    Some men valued one thing above all others. They fought for it, died for it, but not all men were equal. He knew it the moment the witch let slip the intentions of the spirit named Kynd. The look on Rello's face wasn't the expression of any sane person; she was a mad dog, a bloodthirsty beast. Kynd had done her a grievance, and now that she'd tasted blood she intended to destroy anything - or anyone which stood in her way. He was against the clock, standing between a murderous spirit and a woman caught in her own death frenzy. He only knew one thing, whatever was behind that smile didn't mean well for anyone. She was out of control.
    Difficulty: Moderate | Status: On-going | Time: None
    Prerequisite: Quest: Seven Days of Night
    Reward: Potential Advancement.
    Influence: Survival, Truth, Misfortune, Tactics
    Objective: Survive. Or complete objective in 20min
    Progress: (8/20)


    Looking over the casualties Feliks found a surprising scene of the men before him. Not only were they still breathing, but he couldn't find any signs of magically delivered wounds. Yes, they were bleeding internally. Yes, they were in very bad shape. But for the first time over the course of a very long day, there were actually dying and wounded men who weren't afflicted by some horrible nameless blight. A young cleric worked feverishly to stanch the bleeding of one man, but the purplish swelling in his abdomen hinted at the futility of his efforts. He seemed like the worst of them, but he still held stable despite his worsening condition thanks to the minuscule healing the young votary applied. The man was not exceptionally proficient, but the acolyte did what he could. He was no healer. (Feliks | Heal Check Success)

    Emithy stared at them blankly for a long moment before he spoke, "Sent here.... 'you guess'? That's not the kinda thing a contracted man would say. You have no idea why you're even here, do you? That sure as hell means there ain't no one paying for you to put your arse on the line either..." He had to take a deep breath to steady himself, "Look. There ain't no one who's the same after the Night. People hear voices and all sorts of weird things now. It's like all the ghosts and devils all woke up at once. Ignore it. You gotta ignore it. Unless you know for damn sure what you're getting drawn into, it's better to pretend you didn't hear a damn thing at all. You're Gales, right? Doesn't this spontaneous stuff go against your Code anyways? I met Cayla, I know how she always spouts that 'a Gale is always prepared' nonsense. I don't much get it, but I know merc's from the Club are damn good at doing what they do." He pointed over his shoulder at the deputy looking at Arina. "Do you see that man over there. Look at him, with his stupid hat and firm jaw. Looking like he has the whole world figured out. He has no goddam idea. You can't reason with men like that by throwing around abstract terms like 'something looking for the witch'. He doesn't even think witches exist, and he saw those men drop at the door. I on the other hand can take a hint, and don't plan on sticking around, but you need to stop. You can't survive whatever this is, not like this anyways. Maybe the dreams, the voices... the goddam visions... maybe they're opportunities. Maybe they're something else, but everyone has 'em. The sheriff, me, even that dunce. Hell, a voice told me to drag my happy arse to Magnimar to have a little conversation with the 'Speaker of Lies', who 'dwells below'. Fawk if I know what that means, but I don't have any inclination to find out." He gestured helplessly with a shrug, "I don't have all the answers, no one does. All I'm saying is you're gonna get killed for nothing, being like the idiots your own boss berates. You should be out there making money with your skills and taking care of you. I know plenty of people from here to Riddleport who'd pay well for work, even got a man looking for skilled hands out of Korvosa. If you've the mind for real work, instead of chasing the demons in ya head, then come find me. Just ask around, I'll turn up."

    True to his word, the young man did not bother sitting around to waste time and hold a proper conversation. He was already mid-stride as he spoke his last sentence, determined to put as much space between himself and that place as possible. He gestured at the deputy that he was going somewhere, the man seemed to understand and gave a nod as he disappeared over the crest of the hill. Emithy didn't make efforts to warn him, nor suggest an alternate recourse. The man seemed determined to hold to his duty, and Emithy held no delusions of trying to dissuade him from that. Despite his age, the lad seemed wiser and more insightful than his age suggested. He dealt with the cards he was handed with a cool and calculated mind, devoid of emotional attachment. Perhaps Deputy Kliffton would be horribly murdered by some spiritual entity which his mind could not even begin to comprehend. He couldn't do anything about that, and thus spared him no effort, but he'd taken the time to at least deter them from their own actions. Watching him go, not even bothering to spare the deputy a glance, seemed to reiterate the possibility that he could have done the same to them. Leaving without so much as a warning nor trading words. At the least, they had learned something vitally important which might have remained elusive for a very long time. It wasn't they who had changed. It was everything, and everyone.

    This wasn't the world they knew.


    Side Quest: The Devil Inside
    Emithy explained that everyone had begun having strange dreams, and even visions, without explanation. The only difference was how those effected interpreted their experiences. Most dismissed it completely. Dreams were just dreams, but some had more acute experiences. The depth of how men were effected seemed to differ based on the individual. It raised many questions, but none more so than if truly everyone across the world was now plagued by these strange haunts within their minds. It was an impossible scale, an impossible magic, but they had seen strange things. The young man advised them against pursuing these visions haphazardly, least they bite off more than they could chew. Maybe the voices were real and the world would be crushed by the endless darkness, but that didn't mean the voice in the blackness would come to their aid when their backs were against the wall. Perhaps the young man was right, perhaps it was better to take things slow. Perhaps it was time to take on a normal job?
    Difficulty: None | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Objective:Find Emithy. Find a job.



    Spoiler: Rewards | EXP
    Show


    ֍ Aden XP +0 (2,600xp)

    ֍ Arina XP +100 (2,350xp)

    ֍ Feliks XP +150 (2,600xp)
    ⯎ Identified severe Bleeding effect, HP Damage & Ability Score Damage effecting the 6 men



    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 01:37 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    "Silence." Feliks says, blinking as he sees the man leave. "Of course, when I need him to shut up and listen, he runs off. You two, I need healer's kits. As many as you can find. We need cots. These six here will not make the night, witch or not, whatever he was talking about or not, I know what I need to do. I need tables, tall beds, cots, something here. We need hot water. Acolyte keep doing what you're doing to prolong their suffering." he pauses for a moment clarifying "Suffering is good. The dead don't suffer, that is something reserved for the living. We're going to need to open them up, drain the blood and repair the bleeds, and then close them up again."

    he starts working to set out his surgical tool once more, setting the tent up to make it easier what lies ahead.He begins to clean up to prepare for the surgery.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Returner - Stella Astral




    Main Quest: The World Betwixt
    An alien and foreign world. An even stranger land and people. Rising from the mires, you find yourself in a place unlike any you've seen before. Somewhere between a dream, a spirit land and reality, this world resided. Everything about it seemed to bristle with magic of a different sort, a type which didn't even seem familiar. You had come to be healed, and seeing the strangeness of the universe around you, you felt you had come to the right place. For it was so unique, that it didn't seem a stretch of the truth to believe that such a cure could be found quite easily. Yet, that same thought also drove home a fact; you were a long way from home.
    Difficulty: None | Status: On-Going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Objective:Heal your wounds.


    ??th of Rova, Sunday - Time: ?:22 am (Morning) / AR 4707
    Tangi'thac; Du'ased'taur
    Unknown; Unknown


    There was an awkward silence after she spoke. It lasted for a long moment until the old man finally spoke, "I'm not entirely sure if that would be considered words which hint at a stroke of genius, or complete idiocy... but yes. You may choose me if you fancy wheeling around an old man about town. Though, I've no mind to assist you with the task I myself have charged you with. You may pick any you'd like to accompany you, the matter if they are of use to you or any thing else is not my concern. You can waive the choice entirely if you'd like. It is not a requirement, only a limitation to those which you may bring as company." The wolf, Afsspa'sol burst into a raucous laughter, evidently finding the proposition hilarious. "Genius!" The inquisitor blinked, shaking her head slowly, "...Idiot." The beast sneered at the old man, "I would so enjoy to see you dragged about Quarry like a corpse on display. That would be priceless. Nevermind what follows." Abygael swatted her in the back of the head, "Stop being a fool and just take the stupid cat. Or did you not hear it speak when we entered." The animal-spirit in question, L'Lilephalic, was still face first on the ground where the inquisitor had stepped on it. Quite unresponsive. The wolf exhaled, looking at Stella "Gah, how boring. A waste of such an opportunity. You'll never catch the Elder Sage unprepared again. Mark my words. Best to make the most of it. He underestimated you, and acted carelessly... It is only natural you punish his weakness, and bring grief upon him." The old man sharply turned to spit at the beasts feet, rasping a violent retort she did not understand "TEL'NTHS'SAPH DALHAR D'INLȆ!" The great beast growled and viciously snapped at the ancient sage with his maw, revealing his cruel teeth like a feral animal. The color begun to bleed from the room.


    Spoiler: Rewards | EXP
    Show

    ֍ Stella XP +100 (3,300xp)
    ⯎ Gem of Telepathy: 5/5 Charges, 3 min duration - Identified use with UMD


    Stella HP: 1/17
    ✦ Spited (Returner)
    ⭍ Spite increases by 1 (Knowledge: Forbidden)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increase due to Knowledge (Forbidden)
    ⭍ Stella's move speed is reduced by 10
    ⭍ Stella takes [roll0] points of constitution damage
    ⭍ Stella takes [roll1] points of wisdom damage
    ⭍ Stella's HP reduced to 0
    ⭍ Stella's checks other than Forbidden have failed due to Spite
    ⭍ Knowledge (Local) has been Spited and may not be used until Spite is reduced to 0
    (Some effects of Spite remain active until the current value is lessened or removed completely)





    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 01:38 AM.

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Gray flame began to bleed out of Aden's left arm as he watched the deputy walk away. A year ago, six months ago, hell, maybe even a few weeks ago, he might have just jogged after the man. Gone back to Korvosa - whatever Korvosa was in this weird mixed up world they found themselves in - put his head down, and tried to make do. But now, something about the cold, unfeeling, analytical words made him burn. How dare he. With all the madness in the world, with everything that was broken and bleeding and wrong, how dare that man turn his back on it all. Maybe they were going to get themselves killed. But that was better than dying a slow, wasting, wasteful death.

    "Feliks. With all due respect. These men are not important right now." Aden pulled his spear off his back, slowly approaching the door to the inn. "Whether they live, whether they die, that's not our problem. Our problem is that we broke something. We took part in something we didn't understand, and the world broke. And the first step to understanding this mess, the first step to getting some answers, it's in there. You can stay, and tend to these men if that's what you think you have to do. But I'm going in there. And I'm either getting some damn answers, or dying."

    With a quick twirl, Aden slammed the butt of his spear into the door of the inn. "You hear me! My name is Aden McNeil, and you owe me some answers!"
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    A blush warmed her face as she realized that what she said was indeed a bit stupid, she was in no shape to be wheeling around an old man. Even though she thought it would have been funny to get one over on the man as well as to have had him accompany her while she searched for his granddaughter. Seeing Afsppa'sols reaction to her statement brought a slight smile to her face, "At least someone else though it would have been funny, though Abygael is right that its a bit idiotic." Look over at the cat she realized that she had completely forgotten that it was there and that it could speak. She was not used to these spirits and their various forms yet.

    The sudden shift in the rooms mood startled her causing her to jump just a bit. Deciding that now would be the best time to take Abygael suggestion of picking the cat and leaving she looked down at the cat in question. "Ummm, well I agree it was a bit silly for me to say I would pick you. I am in no form to be wheeling you around and just thought that the idea of being able to pick you would be funny. Since its not feasible I will instead take Ahyga'lastal's suggestion and pick the cat... though it doesn't seem to be moving at all and I do hope it will be useful in the search." Having stated her pick then looks back up at the Old Sage, "I do have another question though before I head out, you wouldn't happen to have an idea of places that your granddaughter enjoys going to do you? Not having any idea of where to begin the search will make it take a lot longer and having at least a few places to start searching for her at would make it go faster. Also just wondering if I'm safe to speak its name along with yours and your granddaughters, I've already made the mistake recently of asking someone their name and it caused something to happen that was not good at all."

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    "Correction. The Witch broke something, and we've been chasing shadows and phantoms ever since." Feliks replies unenthusiastic to the theatrics of his companion. "If you're going in there, then go. Its not the time to prostrate around like a politician. Perhaps you can solve the whole puzzle, or perhaps you'll be a step behind again. But I'm staying here."

    He says as he works to try to get the first man to the table to finish what the acolyte had started.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Exiled Son - Asiresh





    Main Quest: Goodnight World
    They had crushed your very existence. Scattered your soul across the realms and existence and cast you down into the filth of the mortal's world. Yet still you remained, still you struggled. Still you lived. A few hundred million years had found you in perhaps the worst state you had ever been, feeble and old. Even the body which you found yourself inhabiting could not be called the original. You've suffered chilling nights and blistering mornings, tortured and mangled, waiting for this chance. The devil which once haunted you many lifetimes ago had vanished, never to be seen again it seemed since you came to this world. It had been the first time in a long time you had ever been truly alone. Now it was time to destroy those who plotted against you, reclaim your birthright, and set the Cycle right. You were coming home.
    Difficulty: Moderate | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Progress: (0/2)
    Primary Objective: Escape
    Alternate Objective: Find your brother, Sino'fel



    The young man coughed, "Years!?" He shook his head, "Well, if these knuckledraggers are running their own little prison, i'm sure some of their heads must be worth something. Don't mind the blade, can manage well enough even if it's a bit of'a squeeze. Let's see what's on the other side of this thing." Hawk strode forward to the hole before falling into a crouch, he crawled through dragging his sword close behind. "Oh gods, it smells.... and it's dark." The old man followed after him.

    Indeed, it was dark, and it did smell - but not as bad as the other side of the door leading out into the winding narrow halls of the sewer-prison. In the dim light from the hole which he emerged his keen eyes could see through the blackness. The sizable room was far different than the cells, with their neat man-made walls. These walls were rough and unworked. Cavernous. Half of the room fell away into a pit, perhaps a very deep hole, but the side which they were on had a single heavy steel door crudely installed within the wall on his right hand side. Various heavy steel basins sat about the room, piles of some manner of stone or mineral; it was near impossible to tell the details of the rocks with so little light. There were old wooden boxes about the broken room as well, but unlike their previous room, this one was clean and well maintained. "Oof..." Hawk tripped on a basin of the unusual rocks nearly falling over completely. "Dammit, I can barely see anything... Is it safe to light a flame? Don't want to get blown to hell by gas or something."



    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Asiresh HP: 17/28
    OOC: I'll let you hold you checks for the next round when they might be useful. You've basically seen all you could with the previous perception.

    ⯎ Asiresh's hands are bound (Freed)
    ⯎ Asiresh's equipment has been recovered
    ✦ Asiresh's bow string has rotted. After a number of uses it risks breaking: 12/12 Uses
    ✦ Asiresh is nauseated while he remains in the smog (DC20 Fort to resist for 1d3 rounds)
    [Nauseated condition not yet applied]: Creatures with the nauseated condition experience stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.


    ✦ Spited: 50 (Exiled Son)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (1)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (2)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (3)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (4)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (5)


    ✦ Wounds: Asiresh
    ⯎ Land speed reduced to 10 ft - Cannot run (Healed: Duration - 2 days)
    ⯎ Strenuous actions deal 1 point of damage (Healed)
    ⯎ Strenuous actions have a 10% chance of causing bleed 1d4 rounds (Healed)



    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 01:39 AM.

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Returner - Stella Astral




    Main Quest: The World Betwixt
    An alien and foreign world. An even stranger land and people. Rising from the mires, you find yourself in a place unlike any you've seen before. Somewhere between a dream, a spirit land and reality, this world resided. Everything about it seemed to bristle with magic of a different sort, a type which didn't even seem familiar. You had come to be healed, and seeing the strangeness of the universe around you, you felt you had come to the right place. For it was so unique, that it didn't seem a stretch of the truth to believe that such a cure could be found quite easily. Yet, that same thought also drove home a fact; you were a long way from home.
    Difficulty: Challenging | Status: On-Going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Objective:Heal your wounds.


    ??th of Rova, Sunday - Time: ?:22 am (Morning) / AR 4707
    Tangi'thac; Du'ased'taur
    Unknown; Unknown


    Stella's declaration cut through the room and seemed to ease the tension. "Very well then. Take him." The beast shook its head in disappointment while the inquisitor peeled the creature off the floor and dropped it into her arms. "A wise choice. " At the girl's question the large wolf laughed, "Bhaha, these creatures hold no power. Only the greater spirits hold such sway as to shape the world. Pay them no heed and curse their names as you please." The old man shot the wolf a distasteful look, "Not all creature's names are magic, the same could be said of mine and yours. But names to the denizens of Tangi'thac hold greater meaning than that of where you have come. Keep that in mind." The inquisitor signed, "You will not unmake this world speaking of those before you, only Obok'athiyk, the great souls written by the First which are the living magic commanded by the Witches carry such weight. But know well, you will soon be dead should you speak those names you have heard within this room while wandering the city. A death delivered by far more, mundane methods."

    The wolf turned away, "Pft. Missed your chance, girl. This old fool isn't worth your consideration, and his challenge remains as trickery in what he has not spoken. As I can't come with you, I leave with this; Never speak of him. Ever. Only search for the witch known as 'White Disaster'. Try not to get your face torn off." Afsspa'sol stormed out with his parting word. The sage crossed his arms as he left, his gaze shifting back to Stella. "You've chosen, I've no more to say in regards to this matter. This is your challenge, not a riddle. Find you answers, bring her back to school. I will know when it is done. There is no time limit, you will only fail if you are slain, or you no longer posses this physical form. If you wish to abandon this challenge, then return here." The cat still dangled unmoving from her grasp.


    Spoiler: Rewards | EXP
    Show

    ֍ Stella XP +50 (3,350xp)
    ⯎ Gem of Telepathy: 5/5 Charges, 3 min duration - Identified use with UMD


    Stella HP: 1/17
    ✦ Spited (Returner)
    ⭍ Spite increases by 1 (Knowledge: Forbidden)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increase due to Knowledge (Forbidden)
    ⭍ Stella's move speed is reduced by 10
    ⭍ Stella takes [roll0] points of constitution damage
    ⭍ Stella takes [roll1] points of wisdom damage
    ⭍ Stella's HP reduced to 0
    ⭍ Stella's checks other than Forbidden have failed due to Spite
    ⭍ Knowledge (Local) has been Spited and may not be used until Spite is reduced to 0
    (Some effects of Spite remain active until the current value is lessened or removed completely)





    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 01:51 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    iValkyrieX's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Asiresh

    Chuckling at the boys reaction to how long he had been kept captive he simply just brushes it off. "This boy might just get us killed but he will be of use if we get into trouble out here. He also might be able to introduce us to the Loveless. It could be a good means of income should we need it." Making his way through the tunnel with the young man he takes his time and makes sure to place each step carefully to not lose his footing. "Boy, watch your step. I take it your eyes are not as keen as this old mans. I believe this room might be a store house of sorts. It is much more well kept than the other halls we were kept in. I'm going to walk over here into this corner on the opposite side of the room." As he says that he makes his way opposite of the boy. "You can light it now if you really need to see." While the boy is doing that Asiresh will be on the look for anything that can catch his eye and also listening for any movement by the door. During which asiresh tries to stay in the darker side of the room in order to be hidden with his bow at the ready still.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Perception check the room and listen
    (1d20+10)[25]

    Stealth check
    (1d20+5)[18]

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Arina shook her head as Emithy leaves. We aren't any happier about this than you are, she thinks to herself. Nothing about this situation was ideal. They knew far too little about what they were doing or why, and what they might be up against. But now that they were here, she'd be damned if they weren't going to at least try and get some answers. She moves up behind Aden as he bangs on the door, hand on the hilt of her rapier in case things turned ugly.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

    Most recent update: Chapter 5: Decisions

    -----

    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

    Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •