Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 722
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Cursed, The Immortal & The Haunted - Aden, Feliks & Arina


    22th of Rova, Sunday - Time: 7:51 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Autumn)
    The Lost Coast Road; Sandpoint Hinterlands
    Town of Sandpoint; Town Square


    The woman nodded sternly at Feliks, "Understood. Should you decide to support the efforts against the incursion of the demons to the north, find any cleric of the Inheritor traveling to Mendev. They will assist you. Still, your skills are of note. If service to the Sword of Iomedae runs contrary to your proclivities, there is more than enough men in need of such service..." She gave a nodding gesture to the soldier at her side who produced a fine steel scroll case. It was round and well polished, slightly blued and engraved with extravagant filigree shapes. The doe-skin sewn cover gave it something of an accent but was the definition of gaudy. The man passed the healer the scroll case. "This is a Letter of Merit and recognition of your ability signed by Father Sipel; the Cardinal Vicar and acting Prelate in service to Queen Galfrey. Show this to anyone and you will be treated favorably; though do so with discretion."

    "There are many goings on which place good men in harms way. The House of Lords in Magnimar prepares efforts to contest rampant criminal activity and kidnappings. The Pathfinder Lodge in the very same rallies to drive back strange beasts rising from ruins to the south. In the west the Palatine Council in Vieland investigates clues relating to the madness and dreams plaguing men. Further, within the gloomy reaches of Darkmoon Vale, warriors gather to combat the forces of some eldrich wizard's twisted army... And further still in the land of the River Kingdoms I hear of a young lord who searches for subjects to join in reclaiming a lost home and brave the Stolen Lands. We have traveled far, and heard a great deal, healer. So do not doubt there is much good you can do out there, Feliks Triskavanski. Do not let your potential be left to waste. Farewell." The intimidating woman turned away without another word, storming out of the ripped side of the tent with her entourage.


    Side Quest: The Devil Inside
    Emithy explained that everyone had begun having strange dreams, and even visions, without explanation. The only difference was how those effected interpreted their experiences. Most dismissed it completely. Dreams were just dreams, but some had more acute experiences. The depth of how men were effected seemed to differ based on the individual. It raised many questions, but none more so than if truly everyone across the world was now plagued by these strange haunts within their minds. It was an impossible scale, an impossible magic, but they had seen strange things. The young man advised them against pursuing these visions haphazardly, least they bite off more than they could chew. Maybe the voices were real and the world would be crushed by the endless darkness, but that didn't mean the voice in the blackness would come to their aid when their backs were against the wall. Perhaps the young man was right, perhaps it was better to take things slow. Perhaps it was time to take on a normal job?
    Difficulty: None | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Objective:Find Emithy. Find a job.


    Spoiler: Rewards | EXP
    Show


    ֍ Feliks XP +250 (3,950xp)
    ⯎ Received Mendevian Letter of Merit



    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 02:15 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Returner - Stella Astral




    Main Quest: The World Betwixt
    An alien and foreign world. An even stranger land and people. Rising from the mires, you find yourself in a place unlike any you've seen before. Somewhere between a dream, a spirit land and reality, this world resided. Everything about it seemed to bristle with magic of a different sort, a type which didn't even seem familiar. You had come to be healed, and seeing the strangeness of the universe around you, you felt you had come to the right place. For it was so unique, that it didn't seem a stretch of the truth to believe that such a cure could be found quite easily. Yet, that same thought also drove home a fact; you were a long way from home.
    Difficulty: Challenging | Status: On-Going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Objective:Heal your wounds.


    They moved through the narrow mesh of cobbled walkways and bridges which criss-crossed the water. It was a maze without any definitive forward or backward. The bridges and paths commonly turned and rarely went in a straight line. The ruins which stood about them were old and covered with damp moss and vines or ivy and the water reflected unnaturally from the water's surface. It cast a blue haze throughout the area that almost made it appear like she were walking though a dream. Occasionally she would see signs of others. A foot print in the moss. Signs of a campfire. Even the marring of blades crossing the stone from narrow walk ways where someone had fought. Yet, there remained no definitive signs of anyone recently, only that the area was traveled at least on occasion - and there was combat to be found.

    Lile licked the watery font the goblet produced as a broken arrow underfoot caught the witch's eye. It wasn't covered with moss or soot, and it rested above the vegetation, evidently more recently fired. At least compared to anything else she'd seen thus far.


    It was a familiar blackness that came and went only long enough to have been noticed as having existed, albeit briefly. The feline perked up, eyes wide in alarm. The ground shook softly, then again, and again but this time more forcefully. It had been so sudden an unexpected. A figured darted around the corner which they approached along the narrow path. She was shrouded in an elaborate and rather expensive brass accented cloak. Her face was cowled, but protruded from the top to leave two spaces for her unseen animal-like ears which rested beneath. Nimbly she slunk about, avoiding crashing into Stella and found her way at the witch's side. A place which she paused in. Perhaps she was surprised? It was difficult to tell. Yet instead of speaking, she crossed her arms, pressing her back at the witch's side on the thin path and faced the direction which she had just come. The ground shook violently once, then a massive figure came looming around the corner. He was no doubt some manner of magical creature, a construct of sorts. Made entirely of metal and perhaps stone, the towering twelve-foot knight came to bare on the opposite side of the pathway. He couldn't fit on the narrow ledge, but didn't seem to notice, sinking one foot into the water and the other on the walk way. The mysterious girl laughed as Lile screeched in a panic and lept from Stella's shoulder. In a flash he had already jumped across the gap and into the broken window of another building cross the stream. The unknown woman bolted in a dead sprint away from the unliving knight in the direction the witch had just come from, vanishing behind a bend.

    The knight, looked at Stella, then at the place the woman had been. Then back at Stella. It stretched out a hand and made a groaning sound like rocks clacking together. It shook it's open hand, expectantly, waiting for something to happen...


    ??th of Rova, Sunday - Time: ?:44 am (Morning) / AR 4707
    Tangi'thac, The Waking Day; Du'ased'taur, The Sacred Grove
    The City of Quarry; E'Auldordun


    Spoiler: Rewards | EXP
    Show

    ֍ Stella XP +150 (3,750xp)
    ⯎ Liberation Influence Gained
    ⯎ Community Influence Gained

    ⯎ Gem of Telepathy: 4/5 Charges, 3 min duration - Identified use with UMD


    Stella HP: 1/17
    ✦ Spited (Returner)
    ⭍ Spite increases by 1 (Knowledge: Forbidden)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increase due to Knowledge (Forbidden)
    ⭍ Stella's move speed is reduced by 10
    ⭍ Stella takes 5 points of constitution damage
    ⭍ Stella takes 2 points of wisdom damage
    ⭍ Stella's HP reduced to 0
    ⭍ Stella's checks other than Forbidden have failed due to Spite
    ⭍ Knowledge (Local) has been Spited and may not be used until Spite is reduced to 0
    (Some effects of Spite remain active until the current value is lessened or removed completely)





    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 02:16 AM.

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    As she walked through the ruins she began wondering what sorts of battles happened here, she saw the marks that sword had made and the broken arrow underfoot. Putting the goblet away after Lile had a drink she continued her treck. The familiar darkness surrounded her for a brief moment, a slight feeling of bliss filled her as she wondered what had caused it. Reaching up to her chest to retrieve the item that abygael gave her she pauses as the ground shook. The sight of the girl rounding the corner gave her pause, she was unsure if this girl was an enemy or not. As the ground shook again she looked forward in time to watch the large golem came around the corner, "What the hell is that thing, is it the reason that these ruins are so dangerous?" the thought flitted through her head as the golems foot sunk into the water. Liles shriek startled her, something that could cause him fear was something to be avoided. As the little girl vanished around the bend she focused her attention once again on the golem in front of her. It seemed like it wanted something but she was unsure as to what, deciding that it was best to try and avoid this being she quickly reached behind her for the Bow she carried. As she gripped the bow a slight glow enveloped her body, kicking off lightly with her feet she floated up into the air. Knowing that it was best to put distance between her and this golem she decided to teleport to a safe distance. A slight dark light glowed from her chest before her body was suddenly sucked into it. The world around her snapped away as darkness enveloped her sight, it lasted only a moment before a new view showed itself to her. A slight pop sounded as she returned from her teleport now higher up in the air away from the golem on the ground. Trying not to take her eyes to far off the golem she quickly scanned the area for any dangers that might be able to assault her from her new position. Looking back down at the golem she waited to see its reaction to he having vanished from in front of it.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


    Grabbing bow, Gives 5ft fly speed while wielded.
    Free 5ft step to float 5ft upwards.
    Using Side Step to teleport 30ft further up into the air.

    Last edited by forg99rules; 2018-06-09 at 07:39 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Exiled Son - Asiresh





    Main Quest: Goodnight World
    They had crushed your very existence. Scattered your soul across the realms and existence and cast you down into the filth of the mortal's world. Yet still you remained, still you struggled. Still you lived. A few hundred million years had found you in perhaps the worst state you had ever been, feeble and old. Even the body which you found yourself inhabiting could not be called the original. You've suffered chilling nights and blistering mornings, tortured and mangled, waiting for this chance. The devil which once haunted you many lifetimes ago had vanished, never to be seen again it seemed since you came to this world. It had been the first time in a long time you had ever been truly alone. Now it was time to destroy those who plotted against you, reclaim your birthright, and set the Cycle right. You were coming home.
    Difficulty: Moderate | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Progress: (0/2)
    Primary Objective: Escape
    Alternate Objective: Find your brother, Sino'fel



    The boy shrugged, moving forward slowly. "Don't take a wizard to figure out what did this. Was Veilbeasts, as sure as day is bright. I'd pay mind to those bodies, in the Tainted Lands large amounts of corrupted flesh can do odd things... Usually they just get back up. Shambling corpses and such, but guess they would'a done that by now." He watched Asiresh nonchalantly stride through the hallway towards the massive door at the end of the hall. The floor was still wet with their lifeblood. The boy kept a cautious distance between himself and the bodies, sword raised and ready. He didn't move, everything about the situation seemed to protest his years of experience. "...I take it back. We need to deal with these bodies, right now."

    The old elf pressed his ear to the door to listen across the other side, at first he could hear nothing. Then after a moment of silence he heard the rapid pace of hard-soled boots running across the floor, followed by a thud and a blood curdling scream. Just as fast as it came, it died away in a gurgling whimper. "Boss, watch your arse!" The warning had come just soon enough for the old man to turn and see the body next to him twitch and spasm before black tendrils burst from the disposed creature's chest cavity in a violent display. The wriggling mass of black formless worms lurched forward, the decapitated body from further behind similarly ruptured open revealing a similar creature. "Wigglers!? Goddam. They're not that dangerous, just don't let em grab you!" A thundering crack split the air just as the young man spoke.

    He sharply turned about to face a otherworldy rift of shadow torn into the air from across the hall. From the darkness a twisted looming creature emerged. It's arms were large and bulging, ending in a set of massive claws the size of daggers. It had no face, it was only an eyeless maw filled with a half dozen rows of teeth. Every hair and bone was as black and translucent as its flesh. The horrible twitching beast reeled back it's faceless throat and unleashed a wilting howl that echoed through the halls. The sound rattled Asiresh's bones and forced a reflexive twitch, but he kept his composure. Iron Hawk, seemed far more disturbed by the beast. [Status | Iron Hawk is Shaken (5d6) [20] Rounds]

    Spoiler: Pre-Combat Map
    Show


    "C-Chaos Beast!?" His arms seemed to loose a measure of strength and his hands shook, evidently rattled by the sudden appearance of the black shifting creature which now seemed like it was shrouded in an eerie black haze. He slammed down a boot, taking a powerfully wide stance which neither entirely favored his right, or left as he sat flanked between the beast of chaos and the disgusting 'Wigglers'. Gritting his teeth he lifted his blade high into the air, prepared to strike. "HAAAAAAA! LETS GO YOU FREAKS!" With his sudden battle cry the room exploded into motion.



    The creature's seemed to act in tandem, as if some hive-mind compelled them to act with near-mechanical efficiency. The beast directly behind Asiresh lashed out with a swarm of slashing tentacles. They snapped out as quickly as whips, one biting into his leg only to tightly wrap around his limb and constrict, dragging him closer into the wet flailing limbs. With nothing save for reflex, he deflected one of the tendrils from catching him by the throat, yet in rapid succession piercing black appendages struck at him until one deeply gored him through the shoulder. He winced at the pain, and soon the squirming mass of amorphous worms was upon him, wrapping his arms and legs in their firm grasp. The is body shuddered at the sudden trauma, he could feel himself dying all over again. He could hear the horned devil cackle madly, "Bahahahaha! ...What was that pathetic creature's name again? A Wiggler? Kehahaha! Are you going to be murdered by something called a 'Wiggler', old man?" The ghostly bastard seemed to be caught in a fierce fit of laughter as the elf was nearly pinned by the wretched creature. The black slime-covered tendrils dragged across his skin like writhing slugs. It was enough to make most men wretch. [Status | Asiresh suffers 11 points of damage & is Grappled]

    The beasts flanking hawk both paused briefly, then suddenly charged in a coordinated attack. The chaos beast howled as it charged forward running its claws on the floor creating a trail of sparks, thick slime drooling from its maw in deathly anticipation. The Wriggler behind lunged forward first. With deft attention, Hawk sharply turned his head to face the small grotesque creature. With a turn of his foot, and rotation of his waist he brought his massive sword around and down with a crushing overhead blow. The crystalline blade melted through the wall of lashing tentacles and split the tightly wounded center of the creature's body in two. The tentacles he cut through fell to the ground, left to wiggle on the floor like insects. A sickening spray of greenish inkor sprayed out, accompanied by a shrill hiss as the creature was swiftly ended. [Status | Wiggler #1 Slain]

    The beast came leaping through the air, parting the dark mist as it soared at the daring mercenary. A sliding step backwards brought his massive blade back to his side, and with a turning motion and a bellowing howl, he issued a devastating rising cut. The blade, far longer than it's wielder was tall, instead cleaved its way through the stone in a small burst of flame and sparks as it came hurtling upwards to find its mark. The crystal sheathed edge bit deeply into the unnatural flesh of the creature's chest and viciously clove into the beast's head of teeth. The strike was perfectly executed with a refined technique, the alignment of the blade's cutting length to the monstrous abomination's body was so precise, the blade did not leave a laceration - but a crippling incision, which nearly split the fiend's head in twain.

    It screamed horribly. A guttural clamorous racket, like a chimera being ripped apart. With untamed fury the beast unleashed it's assault as it came crashing down to the earth. Hawk flinched, closing his eyes, still gripped by fear, but his body did not hesitate. With the falling motion of his blade he spun away and followed with a series of massive, but sharply executed, rising flourishes. The beast lashed out with a claw, an attack the boy could not evade. With a nimble motion he spun into the attack, deflecting it wide with the weight of his blade. The beast hit the ground just as the lad's rotation completed, turning to face the creature once again. His arms extended out with a sharp snap at the end of the whirling parry, a strike delivered with the entire weight of his body. The blade shred through the stone wall at his side and came thundering forward, cleaving through the abomination's arm and torso with a single blow. The nameless horror shuddered then fell in halves upon the floor releasing a steaming spew of gore. [Status | Beast of Chaos #3 Slain]

    Hawk turned about to look at the old man being overwhelmed by the foul squirming creature. "Boss!"






    Spoiler: Combat - Mechanics Breakout
    Show



    ☽PRE-COMBAT☾

    ⚪ Creature #1 Spawns [Space A-4A]
    ⚪ Creature #2 Spawns [Space C-7A]
    ⚪ Creature #3 Spawns [Space B-11]
    ⛨ Combat Begins! - Enemy Wins Initiative

    ☽Round 1 - Enemy Turn☾


    ⚪ Creature #2
    ⚔ Creature Attacks [Asiresh] with [Tentacle 1]: (1d20+4)[22] - Hit!
    ⚔ Tentacle Damage: (1d6+2)[3] points of damage
    ⚔ Tentacle Grabs: (1d20+4)[24] - Grappled
    ⚔ Grappled Status - A grappled creature is restrained by a creature, trap, or effect. Grappled creatures cannot move and take a –4 penalty to Dexterity. A grappled creature takes a –2 penalty on all attack rolls and combat maneuver checks, except those made to grapple or escape a grapple. In addition, grappled creatures can take no action that requires two hands to perform. A grappled character who attempts to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability must make a concentration check (DC 10 + grappler’s CMB + spell level), or lose the spell. Grappled creatures cannot make attacks of opportunity.

    A grappled creature cannot use Stealth to hide from the creature grappling it, even if a special ability, such as hide in plain sight, would normally allow it to do so. If a grappled creature becomes invisible, through a spell or other ability, it gains a +2 circumstance bonus on its CMD to avoid being grappled, but receives no other benefit.


    ⚔ Creature Attacks [Asiresh] with [Tentacle 2]: (1d20+4)[23] - Hit!
    ⚔ Tentacle Damage: (1d6+2)[8] points of damage
    ⚔ Tentacle Grabs:(1d20+4)[8] - Failed

    ⛨ Escape: Succeed Escape Artist (DC 17) or Strength Check (DC17) as a Standard Action to escape from Grapple




    ⚪ Creature #1
    ⚔ Creature Moves [Space B-3A] - Provokes Attack

    ⛨ [Iron Hawk] makes an [Attack of Opportunity]
    ⚔ [Iron Hawk] Attacks [Creature #1] with ["Iron Hawk"]: (1d20+13)[18] - Hit!
    ⚔ "Iron Hawk" Damage: (4d8+16)[36] points of damage - Creature #1 Slain!

    ⯏ Potential - Cleaving Through: Activates, No Valid Target
    ⯏ Potential - Murder Strike: Activation Condition Not Met

    ⯎ Creature #1 Slain!




    ⚪ Creature #3
    ⚔ Creature Charges [Space B-1A] - Provokes Attack
    ⚔ Creature Attacks [Iron Hawk] with [Pounce]
    ⯌ Attacks [Iron Hawk] with [Claw]: (1d20+10)[24] - Hit!
    ⯌ Attacks [Iron Hawk] with [Claw]: (1d20+10)[28] - Hit!

    ⯌ Attacks [Iron Hawk] with [Bite]: (1d20+10)[14] - Miss!

    ⛨ [Iron Hawk] makes an [Attack of Opportunity] - Combat Reflexes
    ⚔ [Iron Hawk] Attacks [Creature #1] with ["Iron Hawk"]: (1d20+13)[26] - Hit!
    ⚔ "Iron Hawk" Damage: (4d8+16)[25] points of damage

    ⯏ Potential - Murder Strike: 1 Activation, +10 damage - Total 36 points of damage!

    ⛨ [Iron Hawk] makes an [Cut & Counter] - Spends 1 point of Momentum
    ⚔ [Iron Hawk] Attempts to avoid [Claw 1]: Acrobatics (1d20+19)[38] vs DC 23 - Success
    ⚔ [Iron Hawk] Attacks [Creature #3] with ["Iron Hawk"]:(1d20+13)[32] - Hit!
    ⚔ "Iron Hawk" Damage: dmg (4d8+16)[20] points of damage

    ⚔ [Iron Hawk] Inflicts a [Slashing Wound] Dealing (1d3)[3] points of damage - Creature #3 Slain!
    ⯏ Potential - Cleaving Through: Activates, No Valid Target
    ⯏ Potential - Murder Strike: Activation Condition Not Met

    ⯎ Creature #3 Slain!


    Ͽ ◯ Ͼ



    ☽Round 1 - Player Turn Start☾



    Spoiler: Status
    Show



    Characters

    ⛨ Asiresh
    HP: 6/28
    AC 15
    Fort +3 / Ref +1 / Will +3

    ⛨ Iron Hawk
    HP 31/31
    AC 20
    Fort +7 / Ref +4 / Will +1
    Momentum 11/12



    ֍ Asiresh +300 XP (1200xp)
    ⯎ Survival Influence Gained
    ֍ Iron Hawk +250 XP (850xp)
    ⯎ Liberation Influence Gained
    ⯎ Survival Influence Gained
    ⯎ Freedom Influence Gained
    ⯎ Knowledge Influence Gained
    ⯎ Exploration Influence Gained
    ⯎ Travel Influence Gained
    ⯎ Darkness Influence Gained[/COLOR]

    ⯎ Asiresh's equipment has been recovered
    ✦ Asiresh's bow string has rotted. After a number of uses it risks breaking: 12/12 Uses
    ⯎ Asiresh's is immune to the nauseated effect of the smog for (2/5 minutes)
    ✦ Asiresh is nauseated while he remains in the smog (DC20 Fort to resist for 1d3 rounds)
    [Nauseated condition not yet applied]: Creatures with the nauseated condition experience stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.



    ✦ Spited: 50 (Exiled Son)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (1)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (2)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (3)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (4)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (5)


    ✦ Wounds: Asiresh
    ⯎ Land speed reduced to 10 ft - Cannot run (Healed: Duration - 2 days)
    ⯎ Strenuous actions deal 1 point of damage (Healed)
    ⯎ Strenuous actions have a 10% chance of causing bleed 1d4 rounds (Healed)



    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 02:21 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    iValkyrieX's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Asiresh

    Walking past the dead bodies placing his ear to the door to listen. Hearing some sounds from the other side of the door. He pauses for a moment to listen closer, before hearing his oh so subtle "follower" yell to him. Asir turns but it is too late. The body is already conforming and taking shape. Before he could do or say anything he was already grappled. "It looks like its feeding time for you." Asir tries to break free from the grasp of the tendrils brought forth from this thing as he watches the boy go into an almost choreographed attack upon the beasts. The boy cuts the first one down and then proceeds to the second, slicing it down with pure savagery. "Once I get this thing off of me you need to kill it now. Or just cut it off me." Asir still trying to throw the beast off of him into the ground so that the boy can cut it down.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Strength check to break free of the grapple.

    (1d20+4)[15]


    * post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by iValkyrieX; 2018-06-03 at 12:41 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Returner - Stella Astral




    Main Quest: The World Betwixt
    An alien and foreign world. An even stranger land and people. Rising from the mires, you find yourself in a place unlike any you've seen before. Somewhere between a dream, a spirit land and reality, this world resided. Everything about it seemed to bristle with magic of a different sort, a type which didn't even seem familiar. You had come to be healed, and seeing the strangeness of the universe around you, you felt you had come to the right place. For it was so unique, that it didn't seem a stretch of the truth to believe that such a cure could be found quite easily. Yet, that same thought also drove home a fact; you were a long way from home.
    Difficulty: Challenging | Status: On-Going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Objective:Heal your wounds.


    The massive golem waited motionless with hand extended. Stella could feel the magic spring to life the moment her hand touched her bow, yet it was accompanied by a cold aura she had never felt before. With a quick kick off the ground she floated away from the cobbled path and the massive construct. A dim glow begun to shine from the carved creature, the steel plates of it's armor begun to glow. Shifting from a gray to a deeper shade, nearly blackening. A heat within the thing's body sprung to life with a sudden and unexpected burst, sending flames belching from the unliving guardian's eyes and the cracks between it's armor.

    As if something had been kindled and ignited, the golen clenched its hand into a fist and bellowed in rage. It was an echoing raucous call that sounded like thundering hammers upon countless anvils of ringing metal. Flame sprung from every orifice and once-empty fissure, as if the interior of its body were now consumed in fire. The sentry reeled back, it's armor quickly bluing til it was a deep ebon hue. A great weapon of sorts, a sword with a blade over a dozen feet long hung strapped from the golem's waist; but it did not reach for it. Instead it bellowed again. It's voice the clamoring of flame and steel.



    Stella didn't bother waiting to see what the thing would do. Reaching deep within she ushered forth her magic, feeling her self shift and displace her form some thirty feet away. With a flash of light she teleported away, yet something had changed. Just as her bow had seemed to give off an eerie cold, now so too did she radiate the same sensation. Looking at herself, she was clad in a dark mist. It chilled the bone, and the same cloud had begun wafting from her weapon. The massive golem seemed not to care. It stood upon its one leg, lifting itself from the water to stand at it's full height, lifting a hand to point accusingly in her face. A menacing display that could have easily been a fist or sword-strike; she was well within the towering sentinel's range. The creature's hand snapped back to grasp it's face, pulling the bottom of it's helmet back revealing a fiery chasm which seemed to reach back impossibly far - as if it were some void. Far, far way. A glint of light could be seen, slowly growing brighter... Whatever it was, it brought a terrible feeling. A looming sense of doom. She couldn't defeat this creature alone.

    From on high, standing upon the crumbling roof top of a ruined ancient building, the witch could see the familiar cloaked girl who had led the creature to her. Her face was still shrouded behind the cowl of her mantle, but she could at least see the tricky woman's grin. She produced a single golden coin from the folds of her garment, holding it up for her to see. Then, with a flick of her thumb, she sent the coin spinning into the air - only to catch it a moment later. Stillness.

    Nothing moved. Not the wind, nor the ripples of the water. She paused to take in the strange phenomenon. Looking closer, she could see it - the slow advance of the water or dragonfly's wings above a lily-pad. Painfully slow and easily missed. The woman gestured with a waving motion as if to follow, before crossing her arms and leaping down through the partially collapsed ceiling of the massive dome-shaped building which she had stood upon.



    ??th of Rova, Sunday - Time: ?:46 am (Morning) / AR 4707
    Tangi'thac, The Waking Day; Du'ased'taur, The Sacred Grove
    The City of Quarry; E'Auldordun


    Spoiler: Rewards | EXP
    Show

    Encounter: Players Go First

    ֍ Stella XP +150 (3,900xp)
    ⯎ Liberation Influence Gained
    ⯎ Community Influence Gained

    ⯎ Gem of Telepathy: 4/5 Charges, 3 min duration - Identified use with UMD


    Stella HP: 1/17
    ✦ Spited (Returner)
    ⭍ Spite increases by 1 (Knowledge: Forbidden)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increase due to Knowledge (Forbidden)
    ⭍ Stella's move speed is reduced by 10
    ⭍ Stella takes 5 points of constitution damage
    ⭍ Stella takes 2 points of wisdom damage
    ⭍ Stella's HP reduced to 0
    ⭍ Stella's checks other than Forbidden have failed due to Spite
    ⭍ Knowledge (Local) has been Spited and may not be used until Spite is reduced to 0
    (Some effects of Spite remain active until the current value is lessened or removed completely)





    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 02:25 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Exiled Son - Asiresh





    Main Quest: Goodnight World
    They had crushed your very existence. Scattered your soul across the realms and existence and cast you down into the filth of the mortal's world. Yet still you remained, still you struggled. Still you lived. A few hundred million years had found you in perhaps the worst state you had ever been, feeble and old. Even the body which you found yourself inhabiting could not be called the original. You've suffered chilling nights and blistering mornings, tortured and mangled, waiting for this chance. The devil which once haunted you many lifetimes ago had vanished, never to be seen again it seemed since you came to this world. It had been the first time in a long time you had ever been truly alone. Now it was time to destroy those who plotted against you, reclaim your birthright, and set the Cycle right. You were coming home.
    Difficulty: Moderate | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Progress: (0/2)
    Primary Objective: Escape
    Alternate Objective: Find your brother, Sino'fel






    Asiresh wrestled with the ball of slime-covered writhing worms, but his strength would not come to his arms. The tendrils latched onto him as securely as rope, sticking to his skin with foul clinging mucus. The blood from his wounds begun to stain his cloths and spill onto the floor, indistinguishable from the sanguine pond which he already stood in. He could begin to feel the tentacles tighten, coiling and winding about his limbs and chest. The pressure begun to mount with each second, he could feel his ribs beginning to give way. Breath became increasingly more difficult to find...

    Hawk took a deep breath to steady himself. His fingers clenching around the hilt of his weapon; a nervous tick. With a powerful gesture he whirled the blade with one-hand in a wide flourish, flinging the filth and gore from the massive weapon's blade. He brought the weapon back with a snap and leaned it on a shoulder, alternating to a wider stance, mounting the blade on himself. It was a form which evidently favored a single extremely powerful blow, but was too unwieldy to expect a follow up strike. "Don't worry boss... just, keep it still..." He hesitated, closing one eye as if straining to line up his blade's strike. "...I usually don't miss."

    Then in an instant, both eyes opened wide as he sprung forward, finding his opening. His first step brought him distance, but each of those which followed set up for the next movement, in a series of movements to position his sword. He bounded forward, throwing forward his waist and shifting his shoulders to throw the blade forward with a sharp gesture. His next step brought him behind from behind the blade, passing it on it's other side. The initial momentum kept it's weight moving and turned his body in a rotation, spinning the sword from low to high. His final step was a measured leap carried by the centrifugal force of the massive weapon's spinning mass. "HEEEEYAAAA! "

    He ended some ten feet from the creature, with a shoulder-wide stance bringing down the terrible weapon. A cacophonous CRACK echoed out as the blade came to bare. With tremendous strength and precision he cut the coiled creature in halves, but twisted creature didn't have near enough mass to stop the hurtling blade. Like a portable guillotine it clove his target and continued on through the stone of the floor, burying itself to the hilt. The tentacles squirmed and the creature screeched a shrill cry, then the limbs went lax as the twisted monstrosity went limp in a bubbling pool of thick greenish goo. [Status | 'Wiggler' #2 Slain]

    Hawk breathed a sign of relief, leaning against the heavy sword, now planted into the ground. "Awh, sheit. It's gonna suck pulling this thing out."



    Spoiler: Combat Map
    Show


    The mercenary sighed, pulling the twitching tentacles off the old elf. "Alright, boss. Think that's enough of you leading the way. You're gonna get yourself killed, almost immediately." He gestured at the enemy's corpses littering the hall, "I never seen a Black Scene actively turn an occupied place into Tainted Land, but that's exactly what this is... to some lesser degree anyways. Of that I'm certain. If you were with a novice, you'd both be worm food. These things react in the presence of living things, so you would have gotten your people killed in a real expedition. Thankfully there's no Veilbeast on our arse. Group reactions like that usually call at least one of them, these are just spawn." He pointed at the corpses. "We need to deal with the bodies. Corrupted flesh is what incubates the taint and creates more spawn. I wasn't sure if it was possible for that to happen outside of tainted land, but i'm pretty sure we're standing in the middle of some juvenile region that's quickly beginning to spoil. Burning bodies is the best way, but you rarely have that much time or alchemist fire for that to be viable. Spiking the bodies in head or heart with some cold iron does the trick for lesser spawn. Glass works better, but it's difficult to get glass spikes. If you've got the coin, the absolute best is some Elysian bronze, the suckers hate the stuff. Kills em off before they can even be born." He pointed to the steaming pile of gore which was once the raging beast that appeared behind them.

    "Thought it was a Chaos Beast, but it's actually a Beast of Chaos. Lesser spawn that's been corrupted by something nasty. That means there's a real troublesome corpse somewhere that's going to spawn more of those things if we leave it. The longer it sits, the stronger the spawn can get. Which is a problem. But having endless enemies rising behind us is actually only our second largest concern... You'd realize that too if you pull your head out ya' arse." He poked the mask on the old man's face. "...Or did you forget about these? We got maybe 2 minutes before that charcoal's useless and we're both choking on ****. At that point even a dire rat can finish us off. You can't fight if you can't breath."

    He knelt down besides the corpses of the wererats, pulling out a hammer and cold iron stake. With a sharp whack he drove the large spike through the body's face. He moved to the next, to do the same. The grisly work was quickly done, then he set about to frisking the corpses. "Even these things are still men. Lycanthropy is a disease, but that doesn't make one immune to this sheit hole." He quickly tore threw what little possessions the creatures had owned. A dagger, craps of cloth and a few silver coins was all that was salvageable. He lifted a soaked mask from the puddle of gore into view, a few familiar black stones fell out from it. "It's useless now, but the other one didn't even have this much. They were likely caught while fighting amongst themselves for the mask. That probably mean's some sod either has two or stole this guys stuff. Doubt he got far, but for now we need to clear these rooms behind us. There's a corpse spawning those things, and I can't fight them all day. When we're clearing out places on an expedition, you take these things down one at a time, and deal with the bodies. Makes it extremely likely there's at least one body with a mask in this hall."

    He moved back over to his sword, still deeply embedded into the floor, "Oh, and let me borrow that glass dagger. I woulda brought something similar if I knew i'd be working today... Can't say I came exactly prepared for all this. If you got any other glass, you should get that ready too."

    Spoiler: Combat - Mechanics Breakout
    Show



    ⚪ Asiresh
    ⚔ [Asiresh] attempts to [Escape] ['Wiggler' #2]:(1d20+4)[15] - Failed!
    ⛨ Escape: Succeed Escape Artist (DC 17) or Strength Check (DC17) as a Standard Action to escape from Grapple




    ⚪ Iron Hawk
    ⚔ [Iron Hawk] spends a [Swift Action] to [Change Stance]: Execution Stance
    ⚔ [Iron Hawk] Charges ['Wiggler' #2] with ["Iron Hawk"]: (1d20+13)[33] - Hit!
    ⚔ [Iron Hawk] Threatens a Critical Vs ['Wiggler' #2]: (1d20+13)[32] - Critical Confirmed!

    ⚔ "Iron Hawk" Damage: (4d8+16)[27] points of damage
    ⯏ Potential - Murder Strike: 1 Activation, +10 damage - 37 points of damage
    ⯏ Critical Hit (Murder Strike: 2 Activations) - 49 points of damage
    ⚔ ['Wiggler' #2] suffers a total of 86 points of damage!

    ⯎ 'Wiggler' #2 Slain!


    Ͽ ◯ Ͼ



    ☽Player Victory☾
    > Combat Ends <


    Spoiler: Status
    Show



    Characters

    ⛨ Asiresh
    HP: 6/28
    AC 15
    Fort +3 / Ref +1 / Will +3

    ⛨ Iron Hawk
    HP 31/31
    AC 20
    Fort +7 / Ref +4 / Will +1
    Momentum 11/12



    ֍ Asiresh +300 XP (1200xp)
    ⯎ Survival Influence Gained
    ֍ Iron Hawk +250 XP (850xp)
    ⯎ Liberation Influence Gained
    ⯎ Survival Influence Gained
    ⯎ Freedom Influence Gained
    ⯎ Knowledge Influence Gained
    ⯎ Exploration Influence Gained
    ⯎ Travel Influence Gained
    ⯎ Darkness Influence Gained[/COLOR]

    ⯎ Asiresh's equipment has been recovered
    ✦ Asiresh's bow string has rotted. After a number of uses it risks breaking: 12/12 Uses
    ⯎ Asiresh's is immune to the nauseated effect of the smog for (2/5 minutes)
    ✦ Asiresh is nauseated while he remains in the smog (DC20 Fort to resist for 1d3 rounds)
    [Nauseated condition not yet applied]: Creatures with the nauseated condition experience stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.



    ✦ Spited: 50 (Exiled Son)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (1)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (2)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (3)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (4)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (5)


    ✦ Wounds: Asiresh
    ⯎ Land speed reduced to 10 ft - Cannot run (Healed: Duration - 2 days)
    ⯎ Strenuous actions deal 1 point of damage (Healed)
    ⯎ Strenuous actions have a 10% chance of causing bleed 1d4 rounds (Healed)



    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 02:30 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Aden's face grew paler as Weiss explained more of what was going on. All of this was above his paygrade. The Gales knew about alternate worlds, in theory - a few of their number had come from other worlds, after all. But moving between them wasn't something you did if you were smart. Then again, taking cards from weird spirit entities wasn't something you did if you were smart either. Maybe Aden and Stella weren't all that smart.

    "Okay. So you're a part of this interworld Council, and you're all in charge of making sure things go the way they're supposed to. It was set up by a staff. And we broke things. Alright. I can get on board with that." Aden hopped off the bar stool and started pacing around the bar. "So. The thing in the dark I'm not allowed to say the name of. What is it? Because it seems to be pushing us to fix the damage we did. And before that, it seemed like it was pushing us to fix the Long Night. And while direction on the whole save the world from our stupid mistakes is appreciated, I would love to know more about what she might want in return." Aden frowned. "She? He? They? It? Do spirits have gender? No, don't bother, it's not relevant."

    Something was tickling the back of Aden's brain. Some piece of information Weiss had given them was monstrously important, but he couldn't quite fit the pieces together. Something about the Long Night. Seven days here, as opposed to a year. Such a huge difference in timing, things had to be so very different here.

    Wait. Only seven days. People are alive here that weren't in our world.

    Aden slowly turned to face Weiss, his one good eye starting to water. "Weiss. What year is it here?"
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    iValkyrieX's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Asiresh

    With a look of disdain towards the boy, "I told you to lead from the start. Now check the first door. There was a large magical presence coming from the other side of that when we passed it that's why I said to avoid it. But if you are looking for something in source to these creatures I would imagine it there. Don't quote me on it I've been wrong in every account in this shytehole so far." Pushing the boy to the door and making him open it first but positioning himself in order to see inside to make sure nothing is readily going to jump out and attack him. While the boy checks the room Asir casts Cure light wounds on himself for a little relief from the crushing tentacles. Once the room has been deemed safe to enter, he pushes the boy in and says to him. "Do no look into the hallway for a moment. If you do then I'll just have to gouge your eyes out and pour some of this shyte ichor into the sockets. Got it? Good. I need to do some evil shyte I don't like when people watch. Once I'm done I'll come get you from the room." Asir sets off to the corpses, and pauses for a moment to speak with the devil. "First time trying to feed you...anything weird I should be ready for here? Stop me if you wish. after a brief moment, Asir speaks, "Pholor dosst athiyk Usstan zhal gotareshtsh"

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Perception check the room inside the first door once the boy opens the door.

    (1d20+10)[25]

    CLW
    (1d8+1)[5]

    Haunted Child
    An aura of misfortune surrounds Asiresh causing creatures within 10 ft to roll twice and take the worst result on any d20. The Haunted is immune to his own aura, however any effects of Spite roll twice and take the least favorable result against him.
    Last edited by iValkyrieX; 2018-06-04 at 02:06 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Feliks sighed as she left, gathering up the coin in his equipment again. Once she was out of earshot, he muttered to himself. "Really.. you just came in here and tore the side of the tent.." Taking a moment to look over his patients, he picked up some of the surgical thread and needle to start sewing up the side of the tent. They didn't even leave a few guards or anything to watch over the people in the tent. "What do they think this is.. a church or something. " His healing method wasn't something that you could just snap the fingers of. Especially since they haven't fully recovered, nor where any of them discharged from his care. A healers work is rarely ever done.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)




    She had hoped that by teleporting into the air that this golem could not reach her, those hopes were quickly dashed as the golem removed part of its helmet showing the fiery chasm within. She help hopelessness within her, this creature still was not something she could fight nor was it something she wanted to at this time. Shivering briefly she looked at the dark mist that surrounded both her and the bow, she wondered what caused such a thing to happen and if it was why Abygael had told her not to use magic. "Is this a curse of this place or just the way that magic is affected here, a curious thing that my abilities are affected this way and yet the wound on my chest didn't cause any sort of reaction to the world." She hoped that it would go away as being cold for to long would not do her any good. Her eyes traveled around her settling on the girl that had passed her by, she watched as the girl flipped the coin into the air. The stillness that followed was eerie, if she wasn't already shivering from the cold mist. Seeing this as the time to make her move and run away she took the girls offer and headed off towards her. Once again calling upon her abilities she felt the word give way to darkness as everything seemed to press in around her. The dark glow appearing on her chest as the rest of her body was quickly sucked into it, her body began wrapping around itself quickly as it entered the dark light before another slight pop could be heard just as the last of the light fell into itself as if nothing could escape its grasp. The return was much the same as before, still in the air but several feat away and lower to the ground her body suddenly was shoved back into reality. The dark light faintly residing on her chest before vanishing with another slight pop. She took a deep breath to center herself as her teleport took a lot out of her. The feeling of her body being shoved through a narrow tube was not a pleasant one as it felt that all of her being was condensed in an instant to make it possible. Looking down at the roof she attempted to try and reduce the distance as she lowered herself further down towards the roof that the girl had been on, She briefly wished that she could fly faster as only being able to move slowly in the air was an annoyance when time was of the essence. Hope was her only friend, both the hope that this girl was going to help her and the hope that the golem would not be able to attack her before she could find safety within this building.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


    Teleporting 30ft towards the roof, 25ft of that is a straight line with the last 5 ft being a diagonal heading downwards.
    Free 5ft step moving another diagonal down

    Know Abstracts: (1d20+23)[42] or (1d20+23)[36] Trying to figure out what this mist is and why its suddenly reacting to my abilities

    Last edited by forg99rules; 2018-06-09 at 07:39 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Cursed, The Immortal & The Haunted - Aden, Feliks & Arina


    22th of Rova, Sunday - Time: 8:06 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Autumn)
    The Lost Coast Road; Sandpoint Hinterlands
    Town of Sandpoint; Town Square


    The Witch paused to contemplate Aden's words, finally giving a shrug, "I suppose that isn't... incorrect. Em, the year is still 4707. Evidently, that means much less now with everything which has changed... I would not dwell upon it. The navigation of time is not my forte, but the complexity is not lost on me." She grasped his hand to still his pacing, "You must find the strength to carry it; the pain, the past... everything. For the flame will feed upon your disquiet and corrupt you before you could ever make a difference. It will take everything from you; every joy and memory, if you let it. I can teach you to control it, if you'd let me..." Her grasp gingerly slipped away.

    The old halfling cleared his throat, "...So about this voice in a world of eternal darkness." Weiss perked up at Denil's words, thankful for the seasoned man's intervention. An awkward silence had settled briefly before being coyly broken by the short man, "Spirits is a somewhat broad term, even in my world, but that nomenclature wouldn't be very appropriate to this particular entity. To answer your question though, I will have to briefly summarize the Wheel and the relation of our worlds..." Her hand blindly searched the counter until a glass found it, provided by the quiet barmaid. "Having some manner of context is vital..." She took a sip from the glass, then a longer draw.

    "Our respective universes are two of three great spans of creation, aligned within a hierarchy. The lowest of which is my own. It in turn serves to establish the elemental properties of your own universe, and thus yours comes next among this order. More sophisticated material and persistent life exists within your world which stands upon the shoulders of mine, which exist in an intangible and formless harmony. Above us all is the divine realm, the third world. Three great Houses rule this realm and largely represent the Wheel. The divine recognized by the Houses of each of our respective realms hold a seat upon the Wheel, representing all of us. Within my world, the three seats are held by Grim Inle, Blessed Frith and The First. In yours, the seats are held by the Oculus, the Memoria and the Alucinor - though none have stood to represent your world since before the Starfall swept over this planet. We're not entirely sure why..." She swirled the drink in the faceted glass before downing the rest of the contents.

    "Now that you understand this. I can explain. There are ancient tales of the Three Brothers, three sons born of each of the great Houses of the third world. Before them, sons had never been, for the children of the great matriarchs were only daughters. The tales greatly differ, but all explain the same in that they brought great ruin to every world. The oldest son fell into maddening grief, never having desired life. He attempted to murder himself endlessly, ever failing. In his path of self-destruction he unleashed unfathomable terrors, creating a void of darkness which would consume all that was or might be. Fearing for the countless lives of every world under their care, he was imprisoned within his own creation. Forever..." The empty cup slipped from her hand and shattered on the floor, she looked down at it in surprise. Miss Corwin sighed deeply. "The second son held a dark desire for strength. He had always been treated poorly out of fear, for he still stood under his oldest brother's shadow. Mistreated and judged unjustly, he turned to forbidden magics to twist and corrupt his sisters and control them - seeking to establish his own House. His mother would have none of his foolishness, and with a sweep of her weapon he was cast down into the deepest pits of the mortal world. Here, he committed himself to vengeance and evil. He arose as a great horned devil said to be invincible, wielding a bow which stretched beyond the horizon which fired an arrow which could pierce the very veil which united the Three Worlds. Waging his eternal war... The youngest brother..." The Witch glanced around for another glass, but no glass came. "The youngest brother... Was loved by all. He was beautiful and perfect, and he loved all. Yet, when his brother was cast down into the mortal world, he was stricken with sorrow and grief, for he had loved his rebellious brother most. In the dark of night, he stole the sword which had cut down his brother. A weapon said to contain every cataclysm, disaster and destruction which could befall the Three Worlds. A tool used to destroy and recreate. Determined to see that the weapon would never be used again against those he loved, he cast himself down from the heavenly realm to live in exile. Immortal, he wandered the mortal realm as a divine swordsmen. Defending the weak, teaching to make others strong, and ever evading the watchful eye of his ascended kin... The one who spoke to you in the darkness, was the oldest brother. Valpurga. His very name is hated by the world, and draws great misfortune to those who would speak it carelessly."

    She smiled softly, "I hope that answers your question. As to what he would want... Few would know. Traversing the Primeval Dark is a taboo not regarded lightly, so you will not meet a great deal of souls who have even happened upon the place." Footsteps could be heard coming down the stairs of the second floor from hard-soled shoes. A wild-haired man with round spectacles came into view, "The other men are tended to, they will need some time to rest. I fear your beds may be full for awhile still, my lady." The halfling rolled her eyes, "Can you fetch the others outside? I'm sure they could use a bed as well. It is the least we could do." "Of course." The man nodded and set off with a slight bow that seemed almost, theatrical...

    Ͽ ◯ Ͼ

    The sound had already begun to die away as Feliks's hands steadily worked at mending the torn side of the tent. He had briefly heard the sound of the sheriff's voice speaking, but it had left just as quickly as it had come. Then there was only silence for a time, other than the breathing of the beleaguered men and the sound of his own stitching. The sound of a flap of cloth cut through the monotony of the predictable motions keenly. A man stepped through the open side of the tent, properly for once. He was dressed finely, his outer coat was evidently a velvet of some manner, but the rest seemed of more foreign apparel, perhaps the fashion in some large metropolitan scene. The stranger was older, at least middle aged. His hair was unkempt with streaks of gray beginning to show.

    The man's eyes seemed to keenly survey the interior without moving in an overly evident manner. He gestured with his cane, strangely he hadn't noticed it before. "Curious that. Father Uriel wasn't able to find any rest due to his migraines... Apologies, I am Professor Bechfield..." He swept an arm about, "This would be my humble encampment... If you wouldn't mind, would you assist me in moving the rest of these men inside? We've arranged more suitable lodging."



    Side Quest: The Devil Inside
    Emithy explained that everyone had begun having strange dreams, and even visions, without explanation. The only difference was how those effected interpreted their experiences. Most dismissed it completely. Dreams were just dreams, but some had more acute experiences. The depth of how men were effected seemed to differ based on the individual. It raised many questions, but none more so than if truly everyone across the world was now plagued by these strange haunts within their minds. It was an impossible scale, an impossible magic, but they had seen strange things. The young man advised them against pursuing these visions haphazardly, least they bite off more than they could chew. Maybe the voices were real and the world would be crushed by the endless darkness, but that didn't mean the voice in the blackness would come to their aid when their backs were against the wall. Perhaps the young man was right, perhaps it was better to take things slow. Perhaps it was time to take on a normal job?
    Difficulty: None | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Objective:Find Emithy. Find a job.



    Spoiler: Rewards | EXP
    Show


    ֍ Aden XP +150 (3,600xp)
    ֍ Feliks XP +250 (4,200xp)



    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 02:31 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Returner - Stella Astral




    Main Quest: The World Betwixt
    An alien and foreign world. An even stranger land and people. Rising from the mires, you find yourself in a place unlike any you've seen before. Somewhere between a dream, a spirit land and reality, this world resided. Everything about it seemed to bristle with magic of a different sort, a type which didn't even seem familiar. You had come to be healed, and seeing the strangeness of the universe around you, you felt you had come to the right place. For it was so unique, that it didn't seem a stretch of the truth to believe that such a cure could be found quite easily. Yet, that same thought also drove home a fact; you were a long way from home.
    Difficulty: Challenging | Status: On-Going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Objective:Heal your wounds.


    The space was quickly traveled, yet as the distance was closed the calm stillness of the world quickly begun to shift... accelerating like a clock slowly spun off into motion. Slowly, building momentum, time was set right. A clattering metal groan echoed deafeningly in the distance from behind. Stella didn't need to look back to know it had come from the enraged golem. In similar fashion, she felt her body stretch and strain, condensed into her wound.


    "....What is that supposed to mean?" "How would I know? I'll ask the Witch." "....What Witch? " Stella's feet hit the crumbling ceiling with a remarkable force, the air was thick and seemed to be drawn down. The stone collapsed, and with it her support. She fell, pulled into the chamber below as if by some well of gravity. With each transportation she had preformed, the black coat of miasma had thickened. Now it has become like a massive billowing cloak of eerie irrepressible mist which no vision nor light could penetrate. It flowed behind her as she fell. The ground met her squarely. It was a jarring force.

    "That one." Dim light filtered in from above. The domed ceiling now stood slanted at an angle, part of the crumbling stone above was only ten feet overhead, while another rose some sixty feet into the air. Strange markings covered the ground, and idols of familiar wolf like beasts lined the ancient walkway. A few inches of water covered the ground, hinting at the inevitable fate of the structure - slowly sinking into the sea. "A Veilwitch? Where did you managed to find one?" The cloaked woman shrugged. Both of the figured stood within a strange silver circle of some manner of powdered material. A number of stones were placed purposefully in various positions outside of the circle which the strangers waited. The shrouded woman she had seen twice now, but the man who spoke was a stranger. He was tall and covered from head to toe in unusual piece-mail, which had been maintained extremely well, yet had been broken in from thorough use. One arm was covered in plate, from gauntlet to pauldron, while the other hardly was protected at all, save for spiked mail on the shoulder and a demi-gauntlet to shield the important portions of the hand. Numerous small bits adorned his outfit, though the half-tabard which was torn to shreds and now worn around his armor's waist seemed of more sentimental value. She had never seen the heraldry which adorned it before. Nor had she ever seen a weapon like the one he carried. Almost entirely made of metal, save for the polished wooden insert in the grip for aesthetics, it was a string with out any natural materials. Even it's string was of some kind of malleable winded metal. Accompanied with set-trigger and sights, it was more firearm than crossbow. The quiver upon his back hinted at that difference, as it fired full length arrows of an unusual nature, rather than bolts.

    The unusual woman smiled from beneath her cowl, "Welcome friend. Best you step into the circle... Then we may speak."


    ??th of Rova, Sunday - Time: ?:52 am (Morning) / AR 4707
    Tangi'thac, The Waking Day; Du'ased'taur, The Sacred Grove
    The City of Quarry; E'Auldordun


    Spoiler: Rewards | EXP
    Show


    ֍ Stella XP +150 (4,050xp)
    ⯎ Liberation Influence Gained
    ⯎ Community Influence Gained

    ⯎ Gem of Telepathy: 3/5 Charges, 3 min duration - Identified use with UMD


    Stella HP: 1/17
    ✦ Spited (Returner)
    ⭍ Spite increases by 1 (Knowledge: Forbidden)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increase due to Knowledge (Forbidden)
    ⭍ Stella's move speed is reduced by 10
    ⭍ Stella takes 5 points of constitution damage
    ⭍ Stella takes 2 points of wisdom damage
    ⭍ Stella's HP reduced to 0
    ⭍ Stella's checks other than Forbidden have failed due to Spite
    ⭍ Knowledge (Local) has been Spited and may not be used until Spite is reduced to 0
    (Some effects of Spite remain active until the current value is lessened or removed completely)





    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 02:33 AM.

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Feliks sighed internally as a new person came into the tent. Gods, what now, he thought. When the person explained himself, he sighed again, but this time in relief. "Ah someone who has a bit more a head on their shoulders than soilders who burst though the walls of tents, mages who go gallivanting around repeating words like a toddler who just heard a curse, or whatever other things the fools have been doing. That sounds like it'll be needed. My methods, while effective at certain things, do have a bit of recovery time needed."
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)




    As the world around her spun back up a grin filled her face as she listened to the groan of the golem in the distance. She had put a good amount of space between her and it, she hoped that once she got inside the building it would forget about her and continue on its way looking for others to terrorize. The grin faded away as her body began to feel weird, the stretching and strain she felt was not something that normally stayed with her after using her teleporting ability and worry began to fill her as she wondered if having used the ability was going to cause even more problems. Hearing the voices of people below she landed on the ceiling of the building she had seen the girl at, the force that she landed with was a lot more than she had expected. As the ceiling collapsed beneath her she tried her best to land without hurting herself, the pull of gravity carried her down jarring her as she landed on the ground. The black miasma that had began thickening around her flowed behind as her feet slammed into the ground. Blinking a few time she coughed lightly as she tried looking around the room, the idols she saw made her wonder what exactly they were and how exactly were they familiar. She was curious about the idols even more so though she was curious about these two people in front of her. They said that she was a Veilwitch and she hoped that they would remain friendly, a brief thought flickered through her mind that maybe these were the Hunters that Lile had said she seek help from.

    Taking the unusual woman's advice she slowly stepped forward into the circle. Standing in the circle she looked at the two before her. The man was interesting, his armor was unusual the different pieces did not seem to match. It was as if the man just took what ever pieces of armor happened to come his way and wore them just for the protection instead of trying to look decent. As her eyes made their way down to his waist she spotted the Tabard and wondered whose heraldry adorned it, a question that she might ask if she decided to trust these people. As she finished checking the man over she spotted his weapon, an odd contraption that she had never seen. Her brows furrowed as her mind tried to figure out if it was truly a crossbow like it seemed or if perhaps it was part firearm as well. Turning her attention to the woman she tried to gain a glimpse of her features from under the cowl the woman wore.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


    Know Abstracts for Idols: (1d20+23)[27] or (1d20+23)[32]
    Perception for the Room: (1d20+11)[12]
    Perception on the woman: (1d20+11)[17]


  16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Aden pulled his hand away as Weiss reached for it. "Weiss. I don't have joy left. I barely have memory. It's just pain. So maybe it'd be better." His chuckle was hollow, more to fill the space than because anything was amusing. Aden faced away from all of them, silence hanging over the tavern. He would have liked to say his mind was in turmoil. He would have liked to say he was filled with conflict, fighting between his duty to right the broken threads of fate, and his desire to go to Teryn, whatever had become of her in this world. He would have liked to say Weiss complicated these feelings, her mystery, her obvious interest in him, her offer of control.

    Instead, there was nothing. Nothing but the pain, a dull ache now, that filled him from head to foot.

    It had been a long day.

    He turned back around, a wry grin on his face. "Aw, but don't you worry about me Weiss. I'll be careful, promise. Just someone I should check up on when we head to Magnimar."

    Aden's gaze turned to the place where the other woman had been, thin strands of mist still floating in the air. "What about that one? What was her deal?"
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Exiled Son - Asiresh





    Main Quest: Goodnight World
    They had crushed your very existence. Scattered your soul across the realms and existence and cast you down into the filth of the mortal's world. Yet still you remained, still you struggled. Still you lived. A few hundred million years had found you in perhaps the worst state you had ever been, feeble and old. Even the body which you found yourself inhabiting could not be called the original. You've suffered chilling nights and blistering mornings, tortured and mangled, waiting for this chance. The devil which once haunted you many lifetimes ago had vanished, never to be seen again it seemed since you came to this world. It had been the first time in a long time you had ever been truly alone. Now it was time to destroy those who plotted against you, reclaim your birthright, and set the Cycle right. You were coming home.
    Difficulty: Moderate | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Progress: (0/2)
    Primary Objective: Escape
    Alternate Objective: Find your brother, Sino'fel



    With a nonchalant sweep of his hand he swatted the old man off, "Mitts off, buddy." The strength the boy possessed was unruly, nearly taking the elf off his feet. A fact which seemed to stand at odd with his physical stature. When he grabbed the boy, he felt much... softer in physique than one might expect from any man whose occupation involved lugging around such an impossibly weighty weapon. Perhaps it was magic, but he could only be sure that such a display of physical might had to have some supernatural source; though nothing suggested such when he had detected the sorcery about himself.

    "If you don't want to be in the front, then slow the hell down. What's the point of having companions if you just plan on going off and doing your own business." He grabbed the hilt of his weapon, pressing down on it as if it were a lever. The stone fractured with a sharp snap. Pulling out a sturdy leather lanyard with a thick metal clamp, he hung it from his wrist and fixed the clip to the pommel of the weapon. "If you don't know how to work as a team, or you're just committed to doing whatever you want... you're a liability." He ripped the blade out of the ground with a sharp drawing motion, scattering small bits of stone across the ground. He looked over the sword's blade, the crystal coating had chipped off but the weapon had been otherwise spared any damage. A thundering crash of metal echoed from somewhere far behind ...Now, let's see what's behind that door."

    Hawk marched toward the wooden door and threw it open without even bothering to take a moment to listen. The interior was otherwise empty aside from the horrid scene before them. An elfen woman's corpse was mangled and slashed deeply, as if by a set of claws as long as blades. It had severed the woman's flesh, cutting all the way through her torso vertically - only stopping halfway through the rib cage. Afterward it had ravaged the body, devouring pieces of it starting at the legs, leaving a half-eaten carcass to lay in a pool of blood. Bits of flesh from what had perhaps been others who had been eaten prior scattered the room. A broken bow lay on the ground, along with a number of unusual arrows. He slapped the old elf in the arse, "Ha, see? Easy. We should have some time before another one spawns." Not wasting time, Asiresh shoved the boy in the room and said his piece before slamming the door. [Asiresh | Opposed Perception - Failed]

    He could hear Hawk shout from the other side, "You've got to be shietting me!" The old elf managed to usher forth another portion of his magic. The warm golden glow from his hand sparked to life and filled his chest. The bleeding wounds closed significantly, ceasing the hemorrhaging and bringing some comfort, but still left him far from a state of wellness. Another crash came from far away, then followed by a second louder slam that shook the floor. An unexpected CRACK came from near him, looking down, he found its source. An unusual coppery spike now pierced the bottom of the heavy wooden door and into the ground like an anchor, then another followed, hammered in place with one strong blow. He didn't have a good feeling. Even the horned devil did not speak, but slowly he raised a hand to point off into the darkness and around the bend from which they had come. The squealing of the worn door which had stood between the old prison cells and this hall could be heard from where he stood... and from around the bend something lurched forward...





    Main Quest, Global: A Friend Named Nemesis
    A creature which should not be. A threat not yet understood. Nightmarish constructs emerge from buried ancient recesses within the earth. Their purpose is as strange as their appearance. Seemingly unfazed by mundane weapons and built impossibly study, they march forward unimpeded following some unpredictable nature. Whatever these creature's design, for now at least, it was better to simply stay out of the way...
    Difficulty: Moderate | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: 2 years
    Primary Objective: Survive
    Second Objective: Find a clue to the purpose of these strange constructs



    Pain. There was so much pain. It shattered through his mind for the briefest of moments then was gone. Each step from the creature rang on the ground, like a dense block of iron being dropped on bricks. Silver hair. An instinctive shudder sent the devil back a step. Asiresh had never seen a creature such as this, so wretched and unnatural... The four small horns which stood protruding from her skull were familiar of someone else he knew, but that was where similarities ended. A crown of twisting polyethylene cables hung from the back of her head, transporting strange fluids, her skin was dark... A blasphemous tone of flesh. It was a far cry from the identically molded Children of the Three Houses... and her eyes were black. A disgusting glossy black, like a doll's. Her limbs had been surgically amputated, replaced with eldrich cast-metal arms and legs of animated steel of an otherworldly nature. Nelrin covered his face, repulsed. Tears ran down his hands, though he had no face. "What is this.... What is this... wretch?" Perhaps there was still enough blood of the Children left within his veins, as the encounter brought him to heel as well. The very sight of the abominable creature was enough to be found revolting... Or was it something else?

    He rocked backwards, his head swirling. Back and forth his world rocked and shifted, "...What are you doing. Run. Run!" It hit him squarely as the smell foul grim seemed into his sinuses. His stomach flipped over, with a swiftness he reflexively ripped off the mask to bend over and vomit a spew of horrid bile upon the floor. The charcoal had expired. His time was up.





    Spoiler: Status | EXP
    Show

    Characters

    ⛨ Asiresh
    HP: 11/28
    AC 15
    Fort +3 / Ref +1 / Will +3

    ⛨ Iron Hawk
    HP 31/31
    AC 20
    Fort +7 / Ref +4 / Will +1
    Momentum 11/12



    ֍ Asiresh +450 XP (1650xp)
    ⯎ Survival Influence Gained
    ✦ Glass Dagger Lost
    ✦ Asiresh is nauseated - 1 round

    ֍ Iron Hawk +250 XP (1100xp)
    ✦ Affection -10 [Iron Hawk]
    ⯎ Liberation Influence Gained
    ⯎ Survival Influence Gained
    ⯎ Freedom Influence Gained
    ⯎ Knowledge Influence Gained
    ⯎ Exploration Influence Gained
    ⯎ Travel Influence Gained
    ⯎ Darkness Influence Gained


    STATUS
    ✦ Asiresh's bow string has rotted. After a number of uses it risks breaking: 12/12 Uses
    ✦ Asiresh is nauseated while he remains in the smog (DC20 Fort to resist for 1d3 rounds)
    [Nauseated]: Creatures with the nauseated condition experience stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.



    ✦ Spited: 50 (Exiled Son)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (1)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (2)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (3)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (4)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (5)


    ✦ Wounds: Asiresh
    ⯎ Land speed reduced to 10 ft - Cannot run (Healed: Duration - 2 days)
    ⯎ Strenuous actions deal 1 point of damage (Healed)
    ⯎ Strenuous actions have a 10% chance of causing bleed 1d4 rounds (Healed)



    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 02:35 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Returner - Stella Astral




    Main Quest: The World Betwixt
    An alien and foreign world. An even stranger land and people. Rising from the mires, you find yourself in a place unlike any you've seen before. Somewhere between a dream, a spirit land and reality, this world resided. Everything about it seemed to bristle with magic of a different sort, a type which didn't even seem familiar. You had come to be healed, and seeing the strangeness of the universe around you, you felt you had come to the right place. For it was so unique, that it didn't seem a stretch of the truth to believe that such a cure could be found quite easily. Yet, that same thought also drove home a fact; you were a long way from home.
    Difficulty: Challenging | Status: On-Going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Objective:Heal your wounds.


    Stella recognized the room as some manner of shrine or temple and the idols were reminiscent of Afsspa'sol - the Dalhar D'Inlé. They were varied and each unique. One of the great wolf figures even looked similar to the visage of that great beast, and another like Ulbeelta. As she stepped into the circle and looked about the chamber a silence choked the air. The man looked at the cloaked figure, and she looked at him. He strained a smile and grabbed the woman, pulling her off to the side to share a private conversation... Or so he attempted, the acoustics of the interior made it difficult to be silent. [Stella | Checks Vs Room - Success]

    [Perception | DC 13 to hear] "I don't like this Faux, this kids creeping me out... and hell, I heard Veilwitches eat the souls of children! Children, girl! What kind of sick sheit is that? I got two of my own, what if she asks to barter souls or something? Maybe we should just leave while we can..." She pat the man on the back twice, "Pfft. Souls? Of course they love souls, but not more than magic! Nothing is more important to these creature's than furthering their profane arts." The man looked at a loss, "You got something in mind? Can't say I've ever seen any profane arts and the like." The woman flashed something from beneath her cloak, "What the hell, Faux... Where did you..." She interjected before he could finish, "Stole it from some human, kehaha." She tried to stifle her snicker, though it wasn't that effective. "Just leave it to me, I got this." With that she shoved off from the large man and turned back around. [Stella | Perception - Failed]

    "Witch, we require your aid. We would like to hire you, and employ your vast otherworldly knowledge. You will be well compensated for your time, that much you may be sure." She slid out a folded paper from behind her cloak. "I will provide you rare and forbidden magics for your service. One spell now, and another when we complete our task." Unfolding the parchment, she presented it and pressed it into Stella's chest. "Here, you may verify its quality for yourself."

    Quality might not have been the word she would have used. The moment her hands felt the fine vellum, her fingers tingled and numbed. She had never seen such an absurd level of detail applied to a single magical transcript. Offhandedly, she couldn't even be sure of the spell's purpose, but the document itself could not be transcribed again, nor could it be cast from the scroll conventionally. Numerous seals of advanced sigil magic kept the spell suspended, but ultimately it's purpose was to transfer the spell itself to a new owner; imparting the knowledge of its functions and design. It was priceless. Something which you'd never find in the more familiar world. "Will that suffice?"

    ??th of Rova, Sunday - Time: ?:53 am (Morning) / AR 4707
    Tangi'thac, The Waking Day; Du'ased'taur, The Sacred Grove
    The City of Quarry; E'Auldordun


    Spoiler: Rewards | EXP
    Show


    ֍ Stella XP +150 (4,200xp)
    ⯎ Liberation Influence Gained
    ⯎ Community Influence Gained

    ⯎ Gem of Telepathy: 3/5 Charges, 3 min duration - Identified use with UMD


    Stella HP: 1/17
    ✦ Spited (Returner)
    ⭍ Spite increases by 1 (Knowledge: Forbidden)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increase due to Knowledge (Forbidden)
    ⭍ Stella's move speed is reduced by 10
    ⭍ Stella takes 5 points of constitution damage
    ⭍ Stella takes 2 points of wisdom damage
    ⭍ Stella's HP reduced to 0
    ⭍ Stella's checks other than Forbidden have failed due to Spite
    ⭍ Knowledge (Local) has been Spited and may not be used until Spite is reduced to 0
    (Some effects of Spite remain active until the current value is lessened or removed completely)





    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 02:36 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)




    As the man pulled the woman aside she looked around the room as she easily listened in on the conversation they had. The Idols in the room interested her greatly as they looked much like two of the beings she had previously met, she wondered if it Afsppa'sol might find it interesting or if he knew exactly what beings each idol represented. She would have laughed at what she had heard, the man thought that Veilwitches ate children, she kept her composure trying to make it seem like she wasn't listening to them. As the woman turned back to her and spoke she wondered what aid they needed from her. They obviously thought that she was more powerful than she really was but if they were willing to pay and it was something she could help with then it might be worth it in the end. Looking at the parchment that the woman had shoved into her chest, she wondered what spell lay within. Looking back up at the woman she decided it was at least worth finding out what they needed help with, "Before I agree to help with anything I first need to know what it is that you need from me. Then I will be able to decide if it is worth getting involved in, also I would like to know whom I am dealing with at the moment. It's never good to work with someone whose name you don't even know."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


    Perception: Taking 10 for a 21 to hear the conversation

    Know Abstracts on the parchment: (1d20+23)[37] or (1d20+23)[43]

    Know Arcana on the parchment: (1d20+13)[14]



  20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Cursed, The Immortal & The Haunted - Aden, Feliks & Arina


    22th of Rova, Sunday - Time: 8:11 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Autumn)
    The Lost Coast Road; Sandpoint Hinterlands
    Town of Sandpoint; Town Square


    The wily professor nodded in agreement, "Yes, both common-man and noble alike can be rather... boorish in these parts. Learn'ed men need not have to adjust to the local temperament - as they rarely idle here for long." He moved off to the side of the tent, pulling down dismantled stretchers. While hardly as fine as the one he had received previously, they were still lovingly made contraptions of wood and canvas. Fitting carefully sized bolts over forged metal rods which lay fixed in place, the parts assembled and created hinges fixed to wheeled legs. It was quite an advanced piece of medical equipment, though looking at the various tables and furniture, the same could be said of all of it.

    "Time is something we have taken for granted as a society, mister... I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name." He paused briefly, "In any case, men have come to expect all their needs and worries to be solved with the snap of their fingers, or the wave of a wand. But magic cannot solve everything, nor can it mend all wounds. Medicine, true medicine. That takes time. Time to learn. Time to apply, time to mend. It is the true path of healing, and there is no shame in that limitation." He stood up five stretchers. "Though, I must sincerely apologize for having had to rely on a stranger. We had left Father Uriel here to tend to these men while I saw to the business about the tavern. My mentor Professor Lucian, who is also the Chief Churgion of Lepidstadt, was tending to the poisonings in the square. A matter which occupies his attention still." Moving one of the resting men to a lowered stretcher he raised it up to it's moving configuration. "Some of the militia-men will aid in relocating these men, but I would greatly appreciate your assistance as well."

    Ͽ ◯ Ͼ

    "...Don't say such sad things. If you lose all that makes you yourself, then both of you shall truly be lost. The flame is a curse, but that does not mean you must live as no more than its kindling. Its heat creates the forge which our worlds may be changed. Conquer it, and you will overcome all pain and suffering, in past and future. Only the ache of the flame upon your flesh in the present will never subside, but that is a small price to pay to reclaim all it has taken." The Witch rose from the counter, swaying to either side as the liquor hit all at once.


    It was a flicker, but one unlike any they had experienced before. Not a blackness, but some vision - something from far away, deep down within the earth, within some reeking chamber. A lumbering creature of metal and flesh, advancing with slow strained steps which rasped upon the filth covered stone. Then it faded away, replaced by another sight, a lightless cavernous hole the wail of a machine, gouts of smoke, blood and horrible screams. Something whirled in the darkness, some limb of whirling metal teeth. Flashes of flame, belched forth from the muzzle of a weapon sprang forth. Gunfire. It created a maddening stop-motion picture of unintelligible carnage. The constructs would not stop. The sound faded away, leaving the vision of a clear plain - somewhere. Suddenly, a hand burst forth from the earthen ground.

    Denil clutched his face, rocking in his seat. "This is getting old, quickly... Is there anyways of stopping these weird changes to the world from happening? ...And what was that?" Weiss didn't respond for a moment, "...There is a way, but not on this side - not from your world. These creatures... They had never been constructed successfully in the past iteration of the world which existed before the time which you are most familiar; the familiar time in which the Long Night lasted a year - that time's predecessor was destroyed. The Wheel & Council rallied to see that your world did not end completely. In your native time, contingencies were set in place to steer events towards, a different course... This is one such example." The halfling squinted at the woman incredulously, "...And what did you people do exactly." She lowered her gaze, "It was a desperate time..." "What did ya' do, woman!"


    Main Quest, Global: A Friend Named Nemesis
    A creature which should not be. A threat not yet understood. Nightmarish constructs emerge from buried ancient recesses within the earth. Their purpose is as strange as their appearance. Seemingly unfazed by mundane weapons and built impossibly study, they march forward unimpeded following some unpredictable nature. Whatever these creature's design, for now at least, it was better to simply stay out of the way...
    Difficulty: Moderate | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: 2 years
    Primary Objective: Survive
    Second Objective: Find Professor Mayvert & uncover clues to the construct's origin


    "Knowledge was imparted to those who might have made a difference in the end. Knowledge of weapons, sometimes even events. Or knowledge of the Otherworld. It was too much to retain for some, but others were able to act and prepare for the coming enemy." Denil clapped his hands over his head, "The bloody Codices!" "Amongst other... more direct methods." "You've made men go mad with that nonsense! Ugh..." "I must go. If you're still committed to speaking with the three Witches, the Witch of Fall would meet you in Magnimar - but it would be better if you did not go. The city will become perilous and gripped in conflict very soon. Your true purpose lay elsewhere, with the woman who first received visions from the Council - and these creations; Professor Kaitlaea K. Mayvert. I'm sure you can find her if you search." The halfling slammed a fist on the counter drawing a scornful look from the quiet barmaid, "The goddam 'Heir of Rebellion'!? Her father was hopping mad, and so is she, visions or not! We don't need her, she's right where she belongs; in the goddam nut house." "Sounds like you wont find much difficulty in locating her then."

    The name 'Mayvert' had been a popular insult many years ago, becoming synonymous with any mad-hat genius or educated man who'd simply gone off the deep-end. It was something left over from a generation past, but had generally fallen away from popular use or a subject of dialogue; and so the history behind its origin had become blurred as well. Weiss turned to Aden, producing a small glassy orb. Within it a swirl of gray flame danced about, shifting as if it were alive. "As you are, you are too weak to save another, or even yourself. When you are ready to conquer the flame and inherent a power great enough to make a difference... eat it. But choose your time wisely, for the Grayflame will harm you and Spite your soul. Muster all your courage, all your strength, and any allies you still hold - for you will require all aid to defeat the flame's champions. Succeed, and you will be gifted greater power and another sphere..." She gestured at the halfling, "I'm called back by the Council. I must leave." The little man shrugged, "Fine, run off then. Send for me the usual way when you return."

    She stepped forward and pulled Aden close to speak softly, low enough to avoid being overheard, "This is not the right way... You should be trained, but our time is quickly drawing near - far quicker than it should. Do not go to Magnimar. The Witch of Fall is not your ally. The Flame holds far greater power than even the spirits which corrupt this world. It will not give back what it takes while you are held prisoner by grief. No one waits for you... because..." The eerie flickering black wisps begun to pull closer to the Witch, one took form - a handsome figure, donned in ancient court attire - similar to paintings found depicting the height of the Thassilonian Empire. His hair was white, perhaps not from age. Unlike the previous figure, he was not made of any mist nor ectoplasmic matter. He was very much 'real', at least as far as any physical description went. They joined hands, a soft smile upon her face. "...She's inside." With her word each of the black orbs manifested, revealing figures of every description. Women, men, children and animals, even some creatures which had no name. They filled the interior of the tavern like the procession of some black parade. Then, with the burning crackle of ebon flames, Weiss, and the congregation of risen-dead were gone...

    No, perhaps dead was not what they were at all. So simple a word did not even glean a fraction of the truth. Not after what he had seen. It was beyond so simple an answer, beyond spirits-and-necromancy. They were the Returned. He could feel it inside, feel the jealous-fire flicker under the skin. They had been the lives who had been reclaimed from the Flame... She'd brought them back.

    She brought them back...



    Side Quest: The Devil Inside
    Emithy explained that everyone had begun having strange dreams, and even visions, without explanation. The only difference was how those effected interpreted their experiences. Most dismissed it completely. Dreams were just dreams, but some had more acute experiences. The depth of how men were effected seemed to differ based on the individual. It raised many questions, but none more so than if truly everyone across the world was now plagued by these strange haunts within their minds. It was an impossible scale, an impossible magic, but they had seen strange things. The young man advised them against pursuing these visions haphazardly, least they bite off more than they could chew. Maybe the voices were real and the world would be crushed by the endless darkness, but that didn't mean the voice in the blackness would come to their aid when their backs were against the wall. Perhaps the young man was right, perhaps it was better to take things slow. Perhaps it was time to take on a normal job?
    Difficulty: None | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Objective:Find Emithy. Find a job.



    Spoiler: Rewards | EXP
    Show


    ֍ Aden XP +250 (3,850xp)
    ⯎ Received [Greyflame Crucible, CR7]
    ⯎ Gained Knowledge [The Returned] +200 XP (4,050xp)
    ⯎ Gained Knowledge [Magnimar] +100 XP (4,150xp)

    ֍ Feliks XP +250 (4,450xp)



    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 02:37 AM.

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Returner - Stella Astral




    Main Quest: The World Betwixt
    An alien and foreign world. An even stranger land and people. Rising from the mires, you find yourself in a place unlike any you've seen before. Somewhere between a dream, a spirit land and reality, this world resided. Everything about it seemed to bristle with magic of a different sort, a type which didn't even seem familiar. You had come to be healed, and seeing the strangeness of the universe around you, you felt you had come to the right place. For it was so unique, that it didn't seem a stretch of the truth to believe that such a cure could be found quite easily. Yet, that same thought also drove home a fact; you were a long way from home.
    Difficulty: Challenging | Status: On-Going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Objective:Heal your wounds.


    The short witch couldn't decipher the spell itself, but she could identify its origin... This was without a doubt one of the early work an ancient Archwizard known as Argonax the Mad, an occult figure in wizarding society that had never actually been seen before - at least not by any man in the world which she knew. Some had assumed it was simply a pen-name taken on by some absurdly powerful wizard who had taken to dark and occult magics as a focus of his specialty. At times, his work was found in antique shops and other unsuspecting places. Once appraised by a knowing mage, they were often sold for a small fortune. This particular work was evidently a collaboration between Argonax and a magician who had signed the document as 'A. Malcanter'. Unlike normal scrolls, this product had evidently been created to be received by another individual, it was an odd thing. But where Argonax could be found, there was wildly unpredictable forces to be found - for the Archwizard's work never functioned in a traditional manner. The madman was famous for inventing entirely new systems of magic to fabricate a single spell, and this scroll seemed to be something along those lines. There was so much text and depictions, it might as well have been an entire philosophy of sorcery crammed into a single page, with perhaps a spell written somewhere in between the lines. [Stella | Checks - Partial]

    "They call me Faux." Stella realized while she was listening to her new acquaintances speak that their mouths did not match the words their voices spoke. It was as if their voices were being dubbed over with a tongue which she understood, and poorly at that. While she heard Taldane, their mouths moved with a far greater amount of syllables which sometimes caused their words and mouth to desync. "My name is Glemphree'El, what do they call you?"

    The cloaked woman who called herself Faux shrugged, "It's a simple matter. We have undertaken a challenge from the goddess Lane, the Lady of Bounty, Benevolence and Seasons. The goddess tricked us however, and we don't know how to complete the trail... Which is why we require one such as you, who holds knowledge of the Otherworlds. Her riddle was such: 'Sila ulu uns'aa l'V'dre Faern's pants' " The big man sighed, "We wouldn't have gotten even this far if Faux didn't speak Sariya, who even speaks that anymore?" Faux crossed her arms, "Indeed... Ancient would be putting it lightly. In any case, the translation would be, 'Bring me the Restless Wizard's 'Pants'... Or something to that effect. But we have no idea what that word, 'pants' means. Help us complete the trail and the reward I have promised is yours. Do we have terms?"


    ??th of Rova, Sunday - Time: ?:54 am (Morning) / AR 4707
    Tangi'thac, The Waking Day; Du'ased'taur, The Sacred Grove
    The City of Quarry; E'Auldordun


    Spoiler: Rewards | EXP
    Show


    ֍ Stella XP +400 (4,700xp)
    ⯎ Liberation Influence Gained
    ⯎ Community Influence Gained

    ⯎ Gem of Telepathy: 3/5 Charges, 3 min duration - Identified use with UMD


    Stella HP: 1/17
    ✦ Spited (Returner)
    ⭍ Spite increases by 1 (Knowledge: Forbidden)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increase due to Knowledge (Forbidden)
    ⭍ Stella's move speed is reduced by 10
    ⭍ Stella takes 5 points of constitution damage
    ⭍ Stella takes 2 points of wisdom damage
    ⭍ Stella's HP reduced to 0
    ⭍ Stella's checks other than Forbidden have failed due to Spite
    ⭍ Knowledge (Local) has been Spited and may not be used until Spite is reduced to 0
    (Some effects of Spite remain active until the current value is lessened or removed completely)





    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 02:38 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    iValkyrieX's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Asiresh

    "I'm assuming form your disposition you have zero ****ing clue what that thing is do you. Useless mask" Asiresh takes one look at the beast and takes off as fast as he possibly can without being able to breath properly. "Now would be a great time for one of those spells you know. Believe me, asking you for help is something I would hate to do but I am your host. Maybe something to help us get the **** out of here faster?" Asiresh heads through the door at the end of the hallway and tries his best to run.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    I'm dead so idk what to do.

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    It all went too fast for Aden to process. He had about to quip back at Weiss, something about how he doubted anything positive could come of something so awful. It was going to be very clever, of that he was sure. But then the vision, of some hideous abomination of metal and flesh, some new horror. Aden barely kept himself from retching over the bar, steadying himself with one hand on a stool.

    Then more revelations. Weiss, responsible for the Codices. For the presence of that strange thing they had stolen. Responsible for the flame. Still reeling from the vision, Aden was about to lash out at Weiss when she grabbed hold of his shirt, pulling him close and pressing the glass sphere into his hand.

    "....She's inside."

    Aden collapsed to the ground, clutching the glass sphere to his chest. The display was beautiful. Tinged with sadness, melancholy, yes, but beautiful. Tears streamed down Aden's face, sizzling into small clouds of steam as they reached the flickering, licking flames along his left arm. He tried to speak, to say anything, but he could not gather his composure. He could feel, perhaps even more intensely than before, the burning in his chest, the hole burned away with Teryn's death. Pain, constant, yes. But alongside it now, something Aden had not felt in a very long time.

    Hope.

    Aden continued to sob, kneeling on the floor of the tavern, rocking slightly as that final sight of Weiss, surrounded by shades given life again, disappeared. Language still escaped him. The stress of the day's events came crashing down on him, far too much for one man to bear.
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Exiled Son - Asiresh





    Main Quest: Goodnight World
    They had crushed your very existence. Scattered your soul across the realms and existence and cast you down into the filth of the mortal's world. Yet still you remained, still you struggled. Still you lived. A few hundred million years had found you in perhaps the worst state you had ever been, feeble and old. Even the body which you found yourself inhabiting could not be called the original. You've suffered chilling nights and blistering mornings, tortured and mangled, waiting for this chance. The devil which once haunted you many lifetimes ago had vanished, never to be seen again it seemed since you came to this world. It had been the first time in a long time you had ever been truly alone. Now it was time to destroy those who plotted against you, reclaim your birthright, and set the Cycle right. You were coming home.
    Difficulty: Moderate | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Progress: (0/2)
    Primary Objective: Escape
    Alternate Objective: Find your brother, Sino'fel





    Main Quest, Global: A Friend Named Nemesis
    A creature which should not be. A threat not yet understood. Nightmarish constructs emerge from buried ancient recesses within the earth. Their purpose is as strange as their appearance. Seemingly unfazed by mundane weapons and built impossibly study, they march forward unimpeded following some unpredictable nature. Whatever these creature's design, for now at least, it was better to simply stay out of the way...
    Difficulty: Moderate | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: 2 years
    Primary Objective: Survive
    Second Objective: Find a clue to the purpose of these strange constructs



    The devil snarled, "Enough with your babble, run you fool!" With one point of his finger back at the creature the ground hissed and blackened. The stone melted and bubbled, creating a liquefied surface of shrieking tar. Asiresh was already in full flight, at least as far as his condition could take him. He gasped for breath, thick mucus beginning to run from his nose as he choked and gagged on the air. Staggering through the miasma, he hustled and shuffled, fighting through the horrid chamber with what strength he could muster. The abominable creature shuffled forward, slow and steady. The scrap of her metal legs upon the stone was similar to a pile of cinder-blocks being pulled across a cobbled path. It was a loud and raucous clamor. The silver-haired creature shuffled through the pool of tar unimpeded "Baah!" the devil hissed. With a snap of his other hand towards the old elf, the shape of a shadowy woman wrapped her arms about the man. He felt himself grow lighter, more agile, and his legs carried him even further.

    He slammed into the massive 15ft wide door, choking down the rising bile. His hands were beginning to shake, the ceaseless grinding of metal upon stone was drawing nearer. It took him a moment to regather himself, his strength wanned and he had not even enough grit to push through the door just yet. Nelrin's focus was behind, "My magic is of little effect upon this creature, but it is slow... and of course I would not know. Nothing such as this monstrosity has ever been. In this world, or any other I might name. That it has even been allowed to continue its existence is unfathomable, and is evidence of Talri's absence. Or perhaps even the absence of any administrator to the lower worlds... A world without god."


    Spoiler: Status | EXP
    Show

    Characters

    ⛨ Asiresh
    HP: 11/28
    AC 15
    Fort +3 / Ref +1 / Will +3

    ⛨ Iron Hawk
    HP 31/31
    AC 20
    Fort +7 / Ref +4 / Will +1
    Momentum 11/12



    ֍ Asiresh +450 XP (1650xp)
    ⯎ Survival Influence Gained
    ⯎ Nelrin'Fel casts [Expeditious Retreat] on [Asiresh] - Duration 10/10 min

    ✦ Glass Dagger Lost
    ✦ Asiresh is nauseated - 0/1 round
    - (May Attempt a New Fortitude Save)
    ֍ Iron Hawk +350 XP (1900xp)
    ⯎ Liberation Influence Gained
    ⯎ Survival Influence Gained
    ⯎ Freedom Influence Gained
    ⯎ Knowledge Influence Gained
    ⯎ Exploration Influence Gained
    ⯎ Travel Influence Gained
    ⯎ Darkness Influence Gained


    STATUS
    ✦ Asiresh's bow string has rotted. After a number of uses it risks breaking: 12/12 Uses
    ✦ Asiresh is nauseated while he remains in the smog (DC20 Fort to resist for 1d3 rounds)
    [Nauseated]: Creatures with the nauseated condition experience stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.



    ✦ Spited: 50 (Exiled Son)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (1)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (2)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (3)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (4)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (5)


    ✦ Wounds: Asiresh
    ⯎ Land speed reduced to 10 ft - Cannot run (Healed: Duration - 2 days)
    ⯎ Strenuous actions deal 1 point of damage (Healed)
    ⯎ Strenuous actions have a 10% chance of causing bleed 1d4 rounds (Healed)



    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 02:39 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    Looking at the parchment in her hands she couldn't believe that she was holding something that Argonax the Mad had created. She had heard of him and the magics that he had created, the items often times being sold for absurd prices. She briefly wondered who this A. Malcanter was, she figured if he had worked on this scroll along side Argonax then he had to have been a powerful wizard as well. Folding the parchment up she looked back at the two as they gave their names, "I am Faer'stahl, pleasure to meet you." She listened as Faux explained the challenge that they were working to complete, the oddness of the spoken words not matching what she was hearing annoyed her a bit but she was glad that she could still understand what was said. Still though she wondered what sort of magic was being used, while listening to them explain what they were sent for she looked down at circle that they all stood in trying to figure out what magic might have been used in its creation. Upon hearing the riddle and what it was translated to a slight grin found her face, she stifled a laugh as she thought that this Lady of Bounty had sent them on a challenge to find some Wizards Pants. For a moment she wondered why they hadn't figured it out, She quickly remembered that not everyone in this world spoke Taldane and the untranslated version they Faux had first told her had obviously said Pants in Taldane and not another language. Shaking her head she brought her hand up to pinch the bridge of her nose, "Alright well I think I can help but few more things, Is there a timeline that you need to have this done by? I need to know this as I am currently heading somewhere to take care of a problem that I myself currently have and I will be more useful after that is taken care of than before... Unless you want me to just tell you what you have been sent to find but first. Have you already figured out who the Restless Wizard is? If you have then this will be a bit easier, but if not then that's what will need to be figured out first." Looking up towards the hole in the ceiling she wondered if Lile would be able to find her down here, She was sure that he was safe and hoped that she wouldn't have to go searching for him herself.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


    Know History on Malcanter: (1d20+10)[23]

    Know Abstract for the Circle they are in: (1d20+23)[37] or (1d20+23)[37]
    Know Arcana for same reason: (1d20+13)[28]



  26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    The wily professor nodded in agreement, "Yes, both common-man and noble alike can be rather... boorish in these parts. Learn'ed men need not have to adjust to the local temperament - as they rarely idle here for long." He moved off to the side of the tent, pulling down dismantled stretchers. While hardly as fine as the one he had received previously, they were still lovingly made contraptions of wood and canvas. Fitting carefully sized bolts over forged metal rods which lay fixed in place, the parts assembled and created hinges fixed to wheeled legs. It was quite an advanced piece of medical equipment, though looking at the various tables and furniture, the same could be said of all of it.

    "Time is something we have taken for granted as a society, mister... I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name." He paused briefly, "In any case, men have come to expect all their needs and worries to be solved with the snap of their fingers, or the wave of a wand. But magic cannot solve everything, nor can it mend all wounds. Medicine, true medicine. That takes time. Time to learn. Time to apply, time to mend. It is the true path of healing, and there is no shame in that limitation." He stood up five stretchers. "Though, I must sincerely apologize for having had to rely on a stranger. We had left Father Uriel here to tend to these men while I saw to the business about the tavern. My mentor Professor Lucian, who is also the Chief Churgion of Lepidstadt, was tending to the poisonings in the square. A matter which occupies his attention still." Moving one of the resting men to a lowered stretcher he raised it up to it's moving configuration. "Some of the militia-men will aid in relocating these men, but I would greatly appreciate your assistance as well."

    "Exactly some of the problems with the world is because they look to the easy solutions like that." He says as he looks over the stretchers testing them out just a tad as he works at helping the professor. "I am Feliks Triskavanski, and while I may look to the harder route, there are still times to use magic. Not that I can exactly. "

    He shrugs a little, taking the moment to stretch. "Of course. These men are still under my care until I feel they are no longer in danger of dieing." He begins packing up his own tools, cleaning them off as he waits for the milita men to come and help take them into a new location
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Returner - Stella Astral




    Main Quest: The World Betwixt
    An alien and foreign world. An even stranger land and people. Rising from the mires, you find yourself in a place unlike any you've seen before. Somewhere between a dream, a spirit land and reality, this world resided. Everything about it seemed to bristle with magic of a different sort, a type which didn't even seem familiar. You had come to be healed, and seeing the strangeness of the universe around you, you felt you had come to the right place. For it was so unique, that it didn't seem a stretch of the truth to believe that such a cure could be found quite easily. Yet, that same thought also drove home a fact; you were a long way from home.
    Difficulty: Challenging | Status: On-Going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Objective:Heal your wounds.


    The ring was something both familiar and foreign. She had never seen an execution of magic such as this. A thin, near-invisible thread of the Weave was bent and circled about the outline of the magic circle, yet strange magics constantly played out a cycle of the strings turning before jittering and coming to a stop before replaying the motion. It was as if it were suspended in a constant motion of repeating time, and within this altered space, the world was different. Unlike the rest of the world, it felt far more real. The world-fog, lifted. The sense of warning which hung upon each word she spoke seemed gone, rendered null and void. It was a complex amalgamation of familiar Weave-magic changed by forces she had never before experienced. Within its own right, it was not an exaggeration to call it marvel. The name 'A. Malcanter' signed upon the scroll was one that brought some curiosity. She remembered having heard of a magician of similar description, though she couldn't recall the name in full. A mage of no major reputation, a small circle of collectors found his works to be of note. Primarily a scholar, his only claim to fame was an unproven apprenticeship under the archwizard Argonax, and his research on arcane theory. A handful of books detailing various thesis and conceptual systems of manipulating energy were all that was left to the name of 'Malcanter' when all was said and done. The man, whoever he was, had otherwise faded off into obscurity - where he remained. [Stella | Checks - Partial]

    The big man and cowled woman were silent for a moment after Stella gave her name, then the big man kicked a rock in frustration, "Goddamit... I should have used a fake name too!" Faux tried her best to stifle her amused laughter, evidently at both the big man and the girl's name, but failed. "Haha, indeed. You're an idiot, but i'm sure you can at least think of a better one than the Witch." Glemphree cringed at the mysterious woman's remarks, but then seemed to find something amid the crass words to grasp onto to make himself feel better. He pointed a gloved finger at Stella, "Yeah, how do you even expect to get by? You can't even claim to be Ael C'nros and wear your Renor'vet. He gestured at the gloomy billowing black cloak of mist which now clung to her, and then the pulsing black aura radiating from her bow. "Faer? They'd pike you in the street, not ask for title!"

    Faux, cleared her throat, "Yes, yes. All fair points. I'm sure Madam Witch must have her own reasons too..." She looked pointedly at Stella. "...But yes, we are on something of a time crunch. Whatever your business, I assume as you're passing through E'Auldordun, your purpose lay in the City Proper. As long as you're wearing, that..." She gestured at the girl's haunting tangible black aura, "You'll never live to even see the gates. It might be ancient history, even for you; but a Veilwitch hasn't set foot within the the City Proper since before the founding of the Council, and as long as the Lampus hold Quarry, no Veilwitch or Dalhar D'Inlé ever will. I doubt you've ever even seen the city gates, have you? The great armies of the Warren still stand ready to resume their battle, even now. Waiting for the chance to purge your kind back to Isto'thac, 'with the rest of the filth' - their words, not mine. So perhaps you might care to.... re-evaluate your priorities, no? Perhaps if you help us, I might be able to find you another way into the city... Though, I ask you hold no illusions of that gambit for what it is. I can make no promises to what measure of success might be found, I only offer an opportunity..."

    ??th of Rova, Sunday - Time: ?:55 am (Morning) / AR 4707
    Tangi'thac, The Waking Day; Du'ased'taur, The Sacred Grove
    The City of Quarry; E'Auldordun


    Spoiler: Rewards | EXP
    Show


    ֍ Stella XP +400 (5,100xp)
    ⯎ Liberation Influence Gained
    ⯎ Community Influence Gained

    ⯎ Gem of Telepathy: 3/5 Charges, 3 min duration - Identified use with UMD


    Stella HP: 1/17
    ✦ Spited (Returner)
    ⭍ Spite increases by 1 (Knowledge: Forbidden)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increase due to Knowledge (Forbidden)
    ⭍ Stella's move speed is reduced by 10
    ⭍ Stella takes 5 points of constitution damage
    ⭍ Stella takes 2 points of wisdom damage
    ⭍ Stella's HP reduced to 0
    ⭍ Stella's checks other than Forbidden have failed due to Spite
    ⭍ Knowledge (Local) has been Spited and may not be used until Spite is reduced to 0
    (Some effects of Spite remain active until the current value is lessened or removed completely)





    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 02:40 AM.

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Cursed, The Immortal & The Haunted - Aden, Feliks & Arina


    22th of Rova, Sunday - Time: 8:14 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Autumn)
    The Lost Coast Road; Sandpoint Hinterlands
    Town of Sandpoint; Town Square


    It was fortunate the tent had been so close to where the guardsmen had posted their watch, for the man did not have to wait for long. They milled in quietly, not sharing words or even passing looks as they did. The deputy which they had met earlier was nowhere to be seen, perhaps for the better. They loaded their remaining allies upon the contraptions as Bechfield unfolded the last device. It was quick work with the hands to spare, and when all of the men were appropriately loaded in place, they begun wheeling the patients out of the tall medical tent.

    The cobbled streets were rough upon the small wheels of the devices, and so it took two men to safely move the things across the street. Circling around the side of the building, they approached the service door, which appeared to have easier access to the second floor. A large pully was set up just through the door, likely to move large amounts of laundry or similar articles. They were able to swiftly bring up two men at a time with one to offload the platform before lowering it again. In a few short minutes, they had safely moved all of the men into two large rooms with four prepared beds in each. A number of the rooms were similarly occupied by other wounded, which seemed to have already been tended to. Two men had already been placed to see to the recovering guardsmen, but there was little for them to occupy themselves with as the wounded were now in generally good health - even those new faces which Feliks had not seen to himself.

    It was evident that those who already had occupied a space prior to their arrival had been seen by a skilled healer as well. With their work all but complete the two men made for the first floor to acquire additional basins and accommodations for those freshly arrived. They came upon a sight unlike any which might be seen within the mortal world, as a procession of the risen dead manifest, filling every inch of the service floor in a shocking fashion. The Professor's nostril's flared and he silently shuddered in silent shock, placing a hand upon the wall to steady himself. With a measure of grace, he did not exclaim his surprise nor loose his baring. As the ghastly parade took their leave to the chorus of flowering black flames, he adjusted his collar and stretched out a kink in his neck before taking a steadying breath. "Well then... Shall we?"

    He took a step off from the stairs, coming back to the reception hall of the Rusty Dragon. The Witch was no where to be seen. Instead only three figures remained to greet him; Mrs. Corwin, and her two guests. He glanced left then right, wondering where the third had gone.

    Ͽ ◯ Ͼ

    Aden hit the ground hard, but upon his knees, overcome by the full weight of his grief and the spark which had shown itself. A small light which perhaps threatened to overcome all darkness... someday. Her words still lingered in the mind, ringing back, echoing. " If you lose all that makes you yourself, then both of you shall truly be lost." She had been saying it the entire time. She had been speaking of someone else, something else - still bound to him. Perhaps she had known - always known, from the moment she saw him. Perhaps she could even see the haunt of his love and grief linger still, like those small black flames. There was so many questions, but finally he had found the one answer which mattered above all else; He could bring her back.

    Denil nearly fell as he hopped from the stool in fearful awe of the display, "Gods be good! ....So she was the Weeping Witch." Looking down at the sobbing man brought him to a pause. He'd seen a deal of strong men brought down a peg, even sinister men made humble, but never so hard a man pained so. He took a knee, placing a hand on the man's shoulder. "Easy, lad. Easy. It's going to be okay." He tried to comfort the man as best he could, but he couldn't fully remove the unease from his own voice. The sight of the small orb was enough to send a cold shiver down his spine. He pulled out a handkerchief to place over his hand, speaking low "I dunno what she said to ya, lad... but I know what that is. Keep it hidden. For your sake, and mine."

    Mrs. Corwin, remained glued to her position at the bar, seemingly unfazed. Though her trembling hand poured a glass, overflowing and spilling over the counter. She grabbed the small shot and hammered it down to steady her nerves. "...Demn. You owe me an explanation." The gruff old man visibly frowned.


    Main Quest, Global: A Friend Named Nemesis
    A creature which should not be. A threat not yet understood. Nightmarish constructs emerge from buried ancient recesses within the earth. Their purpose is as strange as their appearance. Seemingly unfazed by mundane weapons and built impossibly study, they march forward unimpeded following some unpredictable nature. Whatever these creature's design, for now at least, it was better to simply stay out of the way...
    Difficulty: Moderate | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: 2 years
    Primary Objective: Survive
    Second Objective: Find Professor Mayvert & uncover clues to the construct's origin




    Side Quest: The Devil Inside
    Emithy explained that everyone had begun having strange dreams, and even visions, without explanation. The only difference was how those effected interpreted their experiences. Most dismissed it completely. Dreams were just dreams, but some had more acute experiences. The depth of how men were effected seemed to differ based on the individual. It raised many questions, but none more so than if truly everyone across the world was now plagued by these strange haunts within their minds. It was an impossible scale, an impossible magic, but they had seen strange things. The young man advised them against pursuing these visions haphazardly, least they bite off more than they could chew. Maybe the voices were real and the world would be crushed by the endless darkness, but that didn't mean the voice in the blackness would come to their aid when their backs were against the wall. Perhaps the young man was right, perhaps it was better to take things slow. Perhaps it was time to take on a normal job?
    Difficulty: None | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Objective:Find Emithy. Find a job.



    Spoiler: Rewards | EXP
    Show


    ֍ Aden XP +450 (4,300xp)
    ⯎ Received [Greyflame Crucible, CR7]


    ֍ Feliks XP +250 (4,700xp)



    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 02:41 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    She frowned at the pair as they spoke of the name she used, it was not one of her choosing nor had the story of her being Ael C'nros of Adessa been her idea. Nonetheless she would still play the part, though now she wondered if the man knew exactly what the black mist was. He called it Renor'vet, she wondered if that was truly what the mist was or if it was something else entirely. Turning her mind inward for a moment she thought on what that word meant wondering if at some point in her past life she had called anything by that name. She shook her head a bit as the woman began speaking again, she said that they were on a time crunch and that even if she wanted to go within the city that she would not be able to enter with the black mist billowing around her. Though the woman offered to help her find a way in should she provide them with the assistance they were looking for. Looking back up to the sky she wished that Lile was with her at the moment so that she could ask him some questions as she had some that needed answers. As her focus drifted back down to the woman, "Well If i would have issues entering the city and you can offer me a way in still then i guess it's best to help you out for the moment so you will have my assistance. Though i would like to collect Lile before heading to far, he is being a guide of sorts for me in these parts and i would hate to leave him behind. Back to your challenge though, have you figured out who the Restless Wizard is in reference to? While i have my knowledge i'm not completely sure myself who that is referencing, though i do have a great idea as to what the item you are being asked to collect is... especially since Pants was spoken in Taldane and not Sariya like the rest of the riddle."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


    Know Abstract for Renor'vet: (1d20+23)[34] or (1d20+23)[41]




  30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The Returner - Stella Astral




    Main Quest: The World Betwixt
    An alien and foreign world. An even stranger land and people. Rising from the mires, you find yourself in a place unlike any you've seen before. Somewhere between a dream, a spirit land and reality, this world resided. Everything about it seemed to bristle with magic of a different sort, a type which didn't even seem familiar. You had come to be healed, and seeing the strangeness of the universe around you, you felt you had come to the right place. For it was so unique, that it didn't seem a stretch of the truth to believe that such a cure could be found quite easily. Yet, that same thought also drove home a fact; you were a long way from home.
    Difficulty: Challenging | Status: On-Going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Objective:Heal your wounds.


    Renor'vet. Strange shadows seemed to flicker through her memory. Memories of haunting-twisted faces, of featureless figures with no name. Yes, she remembered, remembered something. Darkness. Wings. Then laughter. She remembered a weightlessness, and a frightful strength. The intoxicating feeling of being drunk upon her own power, watching lesser creatures cower in terror and awe. Then, briefly, for the first time in perhaps an eternity. She could recall a face. A soft dower expression, lethargic and unapologetic behind a mane of black hair. Rarely did she smile, save for moments like these, when she could careen through the sky. The spirits moved with her as one, and the dark of her mist had grown defined and solid. It was her clothes. Her shoes. Her hat, and even her black wings which had replaced her own arms. She spoke to her, mouth silently moving - words without voice, beckoning Stella forward. The memory was faded and filled with static. Then, with a sudden sense of revelation, she remembered her name. The name of the one who had taught her how to don the Renor'vet, the Black Veil; Lalaphra - Who Lay In Earth [Stella | Knowledge Abstract - Success]

    Glemphree's eyes beamed at Stella's response, "So you do know that language. Wonderful. Yes, we have a good idea who this Restless Wizard is. That is partially why we've come to this side of the ruins." Faux seemed to adopt a sense of caution, "Who's this friend of yours? ...Another Witch?" The tall man shrugged, "If you're willing to lend us your aid, then I'm sure we can find this 'Lile', person."


    ??th of Rova, Sunday - Time: ?:57 am (Morning) / AR 4707
    Tangi'thac, The Waking Day; Du'ased'taur, The Sacred Grove
    The City of Quarry; E'Auldordun


    Spoiler: Rewards | EXP
    Show


    ֍ Stella XP +350 (5,450xp)
    ⯎ Renor'vet, The Black Veil [Knowledge Gained] +200xp (5,650xp)
    ⯎ Lalaphra - Who Lay In Earth [Memory Acquired] +2 bonus to Knowledge (Abstract) and Spell Focus

    ⯎ Liberation Influence Gained
    ⯎ Community Influence Gained

    ⯎ Gem of Telepathy: 3/5 Charges, 3 min duration - Identified use with UMD


    Stella HP: 1/17
    ✦ Spited (Returner)
    ⭍ Spite increases by 1 (Knowledge: Forbidden)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increase due to Knowledge (Forbidden)
    ⭍ Stella's move speed is reduced by 10
    ⭍ Stella takes 5 points of constitution damage
    ⭍ Stella takes 2 points of wisdom damage
    ⭍ Stella's HP reduced to 0
    ⭍ Stella's checks other than Forbidden have failed due to Spite
    ⭍ Knowledge (Local) has been Spited and may not be used until Spite is reduced to 0
    (Some effects of Spite remain active until the current value is lessened or removed completely)





    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 02:42 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •