New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

The memories of the power she once held brought a slight high with them, with the brief glimpse at what she once was she knew that gaining it back would be all the more worth it. The intoxicating feeling that the power had given her was something that she knew would have to be controlled eventually should she regain the same powers from before. The face of the woman whom had trained her to don the Renor'vet was one she now wished to meet again, she pictured the woman in her mind trying to remember where she had met her and what else she may have learned during their time together. As she worked her mind on this newest memory she listened to the two before her. "Yes I do know the language, it is actually one that I speak natively myself. Since you have an idea about whom the Restless Wizard is then all we have to do is get his Pants... In the literal since, meaning his trousers, slacks, britches or whatever else you want to call the clothing that he wears on his legs." as she speaks she motions towards the pants that she herself is wearing to show exactly what she means. "As for Lile he is a Murrpau that is accompanying me, when that golem showed up he quickly jumped through the window of the buildings across the water." Looking at Faux she smiles slightly "I believe you saw him, he was the cat that was riding on my shoulder when you ran past me earlier. If you provide your assistance with finding him as well as the previous items of note that were mentioned before then I will lend you my aid."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Know Abstracts on Info about Lalaphra: (1d20+25)[29] or (1d20+25)[41]

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

The Returner - Stella Astral

Main Quest: The World Betwixt
    An alien and foreign world. An even stranger land and people. Rising from the mires, you find yourself in a place unlike any you've seen before. Somewhere between a dream, a spirit land and reality, this world resided. Everything about it seemed to bristle with magic of a different sort, a type which didn't even seem familiar. You had come to be healed, and seeing the strangeness of the universe around you, you felt you had come to the right place. For it was so unique, that it didn't seem a stretch of the truth to believe that such a cure could be found quite easily. Yet, that same thought also drove home a fact; you were a long way from home.
    Difficulty: Challenging | Status: On-Going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Objective:Heal your wounds.

The man chuckled at the explanation, but evidently not all that surprised at how outlandish the answer appeared to be. "Huh, well can't say I would have ever guessed that. It's fortunate you speak languages from the Otherworld, that wily goddess would have pulled one over on us." The thought was interrupted as another memory which came crashing into mind.

They sat together. It was a lonely bench upon a flat green field which only seemed to exist within a short ten-foot space. Then... nothing. Only the shapeless churning of the sea of mist. A sensation of absence, which had recently grown familiar. Lalaphra paced idly while the others kept her busy with lessons. They were three. They were one. Mirrored. Mismatched reflections which shared no relation. They were Lalaphra, but held no semblance of similarity. The small child, gray of hair, held the golden threads taught. "Focus". She had shown her how to manipulate the Weave for what had now become literal years... and only now had she mastered the concept of channeling her focus to touch the eldrich threads. Bending them was no easy matter, for there was an infinite combination of formations and patterns which assembled a completed Spellweave. A familiar feeling. The tangle in the fingers, the sense of displacement. Yes... Now she remembered that feeling. Now she remembered. [Stella | Knowledge Abstract - Success]

"Murrpau? While some of their clans might be tolerated, I have never seen any Elil this close to the city. You mean to say he was with you? I saw no such creature when I happened upon you at the bend." The man shrugged, "It is possible that it was in a spirit form, but even then you of all would have noticed. It might make finding this 'Lile' difficult if no one save for the Witch can see it." Faux signed heavily, "This sounds troublesome. Why do you not call him? If he is bound to you, then he can find you again should you bend the Weave. All of you Veilwitches can do that much."

??th of Rova, Sunday - Time: ?:57 am (Morning) / AR 4707
    Tangi'thac, The Waking Day; Du'ased'taur, The Sacred Grove
    The City of Quarry; E'Auldordun

Spoiler: Rewards | EXP
    Show

֍ Stella XP +400 (5,850xp)
    ⯎ Lalaphra - Who Lay In Earth [Memory Acquired 2] +100xp (5,950xp)
    ⯎ Acquired [Knowledge (Spellweave)]
    ⯎ Acquired the [Spellweaving] Potential Skill
    - No Spellweaves Acquired - Use/day = Arcane Aptitude
    ⯎ Acquired [Arcane Aptitude] - (Aptitude is equal to: Intelligence Modifier + Wisdom Modifier + Charisma Modifier + 1d4+2)
    ⯎ Liberation Influence Gained
    ⯎ Community Influence Gained

⯎ Gem of Telepathy: 3/5 Charges, 3 min duration - Identified use with UMD

Stella HP: 1/17
    ✦ Spited (Returner)
    ⭍ Spite increases by 1 (Knowledge: Forbidden)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increase due to Knowledge (Forbidden)
    ⭍ Stella's move speed is reduced by 10
    ⭍ Stella takes 5 points of constitution damage
    ⭍ Stella takes 2 points of wisdom damage
    ⭍ Stella's HP reduced to 0
    ⭍ Stella's checks other than Forbidden have failed due to Spite
    ⭍ Knowledge (Local) has been Spited and may not be used until Spite is reduced to 0
    (Some effects of Spite remain active until the current value is lessened or removed completely)

Spoiler: Spellweaving
    Show

Last edited by Mornings; 2020-06-27 at 07:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Asiresh

Seeing the creature in full force now, Asir is more inclined to run faster but he can't. The 'air' in these tunnels allows him to only do so much. He tries to make his way to the door and push his way out of this tunnel. There is not much he can do let alone breath given the conditions. He goes to push the door open and lets out what little bit he had in his stomach onto the floor. He knows this monstrosity is right there. He keeps pushing forward as his life depends on it. He doesn't think to look back at the door he pushed the boy through. As far as Asir was concerned he had saved the boy from having to face this monster. He had a feeling the monster was after them and not the boy. Asir does his best to push through into the next room with what little effort he can produce. "This is not good. I can't breath in this blasted place."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Rolled in the OOC for the nausea and got a 9 but never rolled for the duration so...
    (1d3)[3]

Haunted Child
    An aura of misfortune surrounds him causing creatures within 10 ft to roll twice and take the worst result on any d20. The Haunted is immune to his own aura, however any effects of Spite roll twice and take the least favorable result against him.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

The sobs eventually slowed, and then stopped altogether. Aden was overwhelmed, exhausted, but he knew better than to indulge in the tears, however cleansing it felt. He nodded to Denil, both out of thanks for the attempt at comfort and in acknowledgement of his advice. For now, the orb went into his pack, for later examination.

Aden nodded once again when Mrs. Corwin spoke. "There's a few questions I'd like answered as well. But before we get into the surely terrible and extensive interrogation of this roguish and untrustworthy halfling. My companions and I have had an extremely long day. Are there rooms here we might trouble to rent from you, Mrs. Corwin? Myself, the good doctor outside, and Ar-" Aden turned around and saw the other mage in his party was gone, as Feliks and the bespectacled man entered Damn it, we're dropping like flies.

"Huh. Just Feliks and myself, then. A friend will be occupied in the city for the next couple of days, so we should remain nearby until then."
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

5. - Top - End - #185

A smile came to her face as the memory surfaced, the feeling of working the weave flowed through her. Her mind mulled over the challenges she had faced at that time, the concentration needed to manipulate the weave and bend it to her will. As her mind came back to the present she tried to remember the feeling from that time cementing the feeling in her mind. The memory seemed to have unlocked knowledge that she had forgotten, though she still did not possess the knowledge of any weaves she felt that now she might be able to start working with the weave a lot sooner than she had expected. Brushing a stray hair from her face she thought about what the two before her had said, they hadn't been able to see Lile so if she was to find him then it would be mainly on her to do so. "Hmm, thought you saw him when you ran past me... but if not then oh well. He isnt bound to me though, just on loan from someone who gave me a challenge to complete. Though maybe i can still reach though the Weave to contact him..." Thinking on that last statement she wondered if it was possible for her to do so, maybe she had learned from Lalaphra at some point. Turning her mind inwards once again she tried to search her memories for a way to contact Lile.

Show

Know Abstract to see if i can find a way to contact Lile: (1d20+25)[37] or (1d20+25)[30]

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

The Exiled Son - Asiresh

Main Quest: Goodnight World
    They had crushed your very existence. Scattered your soul across the realms and existence and cast you down into the filth of the mortal's world. Yet still you remained, still you struggled. Still you lived. A few hundred million years had found you in perhaps the worst state you had ever been, feeble and old. Even the body which you found yourself inhabiting could not be called the original. You've suffered chilling nights and blistering mornings, tortured and mangled, waiting for this chance. The devil which once haunted you many lifetimes ago had vanished, never to be seen again it seemed since you came to this world. It had been the first time in a long time you had ever been truly alone. Now it was time to destroy those who plotted against you, reclaim your birthright, and set the Cycle right. You were coming home.
    Difficulty: Moderate | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Progress: (0/2)
    Primary Objective: Escape
    Alternate Objective: Find your brother, Sino'fel

Main Quest, Global: A Friend Named Nemesis
    A creature which should not be. A threat not yet understood. Nightmarish constructs emerge from buried ancient recesses within the earth. Their purpose is as strange as their appearance. Seemingly unfazed by mundane weapons and built impossibly study, they march forward unimpeded following some unpredictable nature. Whatever these creature's design, for now at least, it was better to simply stay out of the way...
    Difficulty: Moderate | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: 2 years
    Primary Objective: Survive
    Second Objective: Find a clue to the purpose of these strange constructs

The doors were heavy and stout. Rusted shut after an age of misuse. It took all he had to press himself into the barrier, it shuddered open a crack. Then a solid blow with a shoulder, another inch. With the last of the strength he could muster he came crashing through the massive wooden doors as they suddenly burst open. Waves of the thick miasma roiled in behind him into the generally clear chamber. He felt his body lurch as his constitution failed to resist the horrid smog once again, but only the acidic burning of his stomach's juices rose to scour the back of his throat. He had no more solids with which the choking mist could relinquish him of.

He hit the stone of the floor as he hurtled through the entrance, a generally clean surface for once. He could hear the grinding scrape of metal as the damnable creature slowly dragged itself forward towards where the old elf had gone, seemingly unaware of the door the young mercenary had fled behind. The devil hissed, "It pursues us still!" The massive door they had just plunged through violently closed. A large man-creature, hammered himself into the rusted barrier sealing it from the hall and ceasing the flow of the miasmic-fog. He stood less than a half foot shorter than a half-giant, nearly breaking seven feet vertically, and of a physique which held great girth. His shoulders were wide, his neck invisible behind the fold of his heavy highwayman's coat. He couldn't tell what manner of creature he was, perhaps a Tengu, for he had the face of a crow. A large bony beak protruded from the dark folds of his raised collar and massive wide-brimmed hat. Wild unkempt greasy black hair flowed out from the spaces around his head which his coat did not fill, and no skin was visible. The thick sturdy gloves and boots he wore were as long as gauntlets, running up his forearms. Various chains hung from about his waist like belts, as did sturdy looking vials of oil for the lanterns which he carried. One of which looked far more intimidating than the simple longsword at his side. More meteor hammer than lantern, it was like two ends of a caged dire-flail lit aflame which cast light about the darkness.

Asiresh had heard of men like this, Lightbearers, he believed they were called. They were rogues, grim Lamplighters who brought illumination to places both dark and strange, investigating that which others would demand remain cloaked in shadow. Unlike their brothers, the Lightbearers held no sense of organization nor moral obligations. They were as unpredictable as they could be violent; vigilantes, and they could be found only where the deepest of darkness could be pursued. Somehow, it wasn't surprising to see one here. At the very least, he could breath again, though the choking pain still lingered.

The circular chamber was wide. At it's widest point, it was easily fifty-five feet across. A trail of blood ran across the room, east, towards another pair of doors. It ended at a man's corpse. Drag marks of blood shown on the ground. Evidently he had not fallen unto the black folds of death immediately, he had crawled until his lifeblood drained from him. The man, a familiar face, was one of the foul criminals which had maintained this underground prison. They had never spoken, but he had seen him set about to tormenting the children, beating them and worse. Now his corpse decorated the floor, his back torn open, revealing protruding ribs pointing skyward, as if wrenched from their place with tremendous strength before he was flayed and stabbed, countless times. Whoever this killer was, he was a homicidal madman. Committed to horribly torturing then murdering the enemies before him with overwhelming strength.

The chamber held three passages, including the door at his back. East, where the corpse lay - leading to another set of large doors. Then south. The passage ambled on for a time into darkness with no door in sight. Blood splattered the ground towards that passage, but no bodies remained, and in the center of it was a large eldrich seal of no easily identifiable origin. It was massive, fifteen feet long and carved into the stone, where it pulsed a dim crimson-glow. The crow-faced man turned away, heading south offering no words to the recovering elf. Evidently having his own objectives.

Spoiler: Status | EXP
    Show

Characters

⛨ Asiresh
    HP: 11/28
    AC 15
    Fort +3 / Ref +1 / Will +3

⛨ Iron Hawk
    HP 31/31
    AC 20
    Fort +7 / Ref +4 / Will +1
    Momentum 11/12

֍ Asiresh +450 XP (2100xp)
    ⯎ Survival Influence Gained
    ⯎ Nelrin'Fel casts [Expeditious Retreat] on [Asiresh] - Duration 10/10 min

✦ Glass Dagger Lost
    ✦ Asiresh is nauseated - 2/3 rounds

֍ Iron Hawk +0 XP (1900xp)
    ⯎ Freedom Influence Gained
    ⯎ Knowledge Influence Gained
    ⯎ Exploration Influence Gained
    ⯎ Travel Influence Gained
    ⯎ Darkness Influence Gained

STATUS
    ✦ Asiresh's bow string has rotted. After a number of uses it risks breaking: 12/12 Uses
    ✦ Asiresh is nauseated while he remains in the smog (DC20 Fort to resist for 1d3 rounds)
    [Nauseated]: Creatures with the nauseated condition experience stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.

✦ Spited: 50 (Exiled Son)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (1)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (2)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (3)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (4)
    ⭍ Severity of spited effects increased (5)

✦ Wounds: Asiresh
    ⯎ Land speed reduced to 10 ft - Cannot run (Healed: Duration - 2 days)
    ⯎ Strenuous actions deal 1 point of damage (Healed)
    ⯎ Strenuous actions have a 10% chance of causing bleed 1d4 rounds (Healed)

Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 02:47 AM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

After making sure the patients were secured, Feliks followed the professor around, carrying his gear still in his pack. He watched the possession of undead parading accoss the way, one hand on a vial of alchemist fire, and another on a knife. But as with most situations involving the maddness of magic, he holds off ready to pounce if the undead did anything threatening to them. However once they paraded out of the way, Feliks followed after the professor putting his gear away. Looking at the people in the next room he sighed "Where did the other one go?"
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

The Cursed & The Immortal - Aden & Feliks

22th of Rova, Sunday - Time: 8:21 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Autumn)
    The Lost Coast Road; Sandpoint Hinterlands
    Town of Sandpoint; Town Square

The short man scoffed at Aden's words, "Roguish? Maybe. Untrustworthy? You're a damned fool. Puttin' aside the fact I'm the only damn' one in this line'a work not plotting my own misdeeds, you're outta' ya' damned mind if 'trust' is still any measure'a character for any soul in this business... And it is business, don't get that twisted, lad. You can't trust ya own goddam motha', and the moment you think ya can. You're dead." He knocked on the counter to draw Mrs. Corwin's attention, "Speaking of business, Beth, you got something for these gentlemen; don't you?" The small woman nodded, reaching down and placing a crisp sealed envelope on the counter. The parchment was thick and expensive with no effort spared in its preparation. The lavish wax seal on the end held a woven silk ribbon accented by the gold leaf which traced pointless filigree neatly across the lip of the envelope's lip. "Goddam, it's event scented..." Just as the old halfling said, it had indeed been lightly traced with a delicate, yet noticeable fragrance of a juliet rose. "Came in the day before last, addressed to you lot... From the Club."

That gaudy extravagance, that display of shameless wealth and social prowess had once done the same thing to each of them, as it was doing to Mrs. Corwin. It was a blinding show of power and authority which reminded them of the reality of it all after they had seen behind the gilded-curtain. Yes, there was wealth beyond measure. Yes, there was power to be found too; but it was a horrible blood-thirsty beast. A ravenous yapping pit of feral hounds which lashed out and tore at one another in bloody sport. A violent and cruel underworld which they couldn't even speak of. It was all of those things, and more. They knew this, and so they played on it, preying upon those souls who had never seen such luxury. Souls whose eyes were filled with dreams and wonder, like Mrs. Corwin. "You know what this means? You're done. They're calling your arse back. With no word from the client, or anyone else, can't say I blame 'em."

The short man slid from the tall chair to the ground, glancing a Feliks with a raised brow. "What other-one? It's just the witch, and you left that to Rello, now didn't'ya. No point waiting for her. Weiss mentioned something about a 'cursed-soul'. Apparently she can end up popping up wherever, well, wherever there's a body of water anyways. Pointless idling here if she can just float up from some Arabasti's bathing room. I'd catch the next caravan heading back to Magnimar, ya' boss isn't known for being needlessly patient."

A creature which should not be. A threat not yet understood. Nightmarish constructs emerge from buried ancient recesses within the earth. Their purpose is as strange as their appearance. Seemingly unfazed by mundane weapons and built impossibly study, they march forward unimpeded following some unpredictable nature. Whatever these creature's design, for now at least, it was better to simply stay out of the way...
    Second Objective: Find Professor Mayvert & uncover clues to the construct's origin

Side Quest: The Devil Inside
    Emithy explained that everyone had begun having strange dreams, and even visions, without explanation. The only difference was how those effected interpreted their experiences. Most dismissed it completely. Dreams were just dreams, but some had more acute experiences. The depth of how men were effected seemed to differ based on the individual. It raised many questions, but none more so than if truly everyone across the world was now plagued by these strange haunts within their minds. It was an impossible scale, an impossible magic, but they had seen strange things. The young man advised them against pursuing these visions haphazardly, least they bite off more than they could chew. Maybe the voices were real and the world would be crushed by the endless darkness, but that didn't mean the voice in the blackness would come to their aid when their backs were against the wall. Perhaps the young man was right, perhaps it was better to take things slow. Perhaps it was time to take on a normal job?
    Difficulty: None | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: None
    Objective:Find Emithy. Find a job.

Show

֍ Aden XP +250 (4,550xp)
    ⯎ Received [Greyflame Crucible, CR7]

֍ Feliks XP +400 (5,100xp)

Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 02:48 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

An alien and foreign world. An even stranger land and people. Rising from the mires, you find yourself in a place unlike any you've seen before. Somewhere between a dream, a spirit land and reality, this world resided. Everything about it seemed to bristle with magic of a different sort, a type which didn't even seem familiar. You had come to be healed, and seeing the strangeness of the universe around you, you felt you had come to the right place. For it was so unique, that it didn't seem a stretch of the truth to believe that such a cure could be found quite easily. Yet, that same thought also drove home a fact; you were a long way from home.

Faux shrugged, "I at least, saw no other creature. It's entirely possible this friend of yours is not so ordinary. Stranger still is it for such a creature to have so simple a name, but how you find this friend of yours is not our business. Nor will you persist for long mindlessly wandering E'Auldordun. Worse than golems lurks in these ruins." The man seemed to not have any further input himself, the whole conversation had seemed to have left his realm of experience. "I do hope you settle this quickly. We are on something of a clock ourselves."

In truth the idea of using the Weave didn't sound like a poor idea. Even if she didn't know how to twist and bend the shapes into completed patterns towards whatever end, simply manipulating the Weave carried with it the potential to attract the attention of various spirits. That much she remembered, and the strength with which that manipulation was perceived was influenced by the association of the Weaver and the one detecting it; similar to a form of scrying. No other means came to mind, and leaving the protection of the domed building to face the flaming golem again did not sound like a particularly smart option. [Stella | Knowledge Partial]

??th of Rova, Sunday - Time: ?:03 am (Morning) / AR 4707

Show

֍ Stella XP +350 (6,200xp)
    ⯎ Acquired [Knowledge (Spellweave)]

✦ Spited (Returner)
    ⭍ Knowledge (Local) has been Spited and may not be used until Spite is reduced to 0
    (Some effects of Spite remain active until the current value is lessened or removed completely)

Show

Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-17 at 02:49 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Aden felt his blood run cold when he saw the letter. He had forgotten. Amidst the world-shaking events and cosmic revelations, he had forgotten that he was owned, body and soul, and sooner or later the owner would come calling. He gingerly took the letter from Mrs. Corwin, half expecting the thing to release some debilitating curse, or explode.

"You take yourself too seriously, Denil."

Normally, Aden quite enjoyed his verbal sparing matches with the ornery halfling, but he didn't have it in him. Not right now. Aden slowly broke the seal, examining the letter closely.

"Regardless of what the Guildmistress wants, I'm not leaving until tomorrow morning at the latest. I need to sleep. So my question still stands, Mrs. Corwin. You've been extremely generous already, but a bed would be welcome."

Aden was keenly aware of the seals engraved upon his back. Only Speak Favorably was, by far, his least favorite of the strictures. There were a great many things he wished to say about Cayla Vronds. Warnings he wanted to impart to Mrs. Corwin. He'd seen that look too many times, seen too many people lured in and broken by the Guildmistress. He'd been one of them. Promised control, promised answers, promised a family. Control had been of him by Vronds, not of his power. The answers he had been given were not to questions he'd asked. And the family, well. Aden supposed it wasn't that different from his old family. There was slightly more backstabbing, slightly less killing. Cayla Vronds had a way of fulfilling promises without giving you anything you wanted.

"Don't have to think favorably, you old witch. I'll be free eventually. And when I am, I'll come back for you. I hope you really can read our minds."
    No news is good news.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

Asiresh

Asiresh stumbles into the room looking around frantically. He stops and relaxes his heartbeat and whispers something under his breath to himself. He calls to the lightbearer, "There's a monster coming this way. And by monster I mean some sort of half mechanized girl...thing that looks bat**** insane, oh and theres a boy trapped in that same hallway. Just thought you should know." As he is saying so he points towards the door he just came through. He turns to look around the room looking for anything useful to him right now. Taking a moment to see through glowing eyes for magical sources as well to see what he can find that may be of some interest. "Nelrin, Do you recognize the rune on the floor by chance?" As he is scouting the room he is positioning himself a good halfway between the south and east doors but weary to not step too close to the rune should it be magical in any sense.

Show
    Cast detect magic again and a perception check on the room for gear
    (1d20+10)[22]

Haunted Child
    An aura of misfortune surrounds him causing creatures within 10 ft to roll twice and take the worst result on any d20. The Haunted is immune to his own aura, however any effects of Spite roll twice and take the least favorable result against him.

12. - Top - End - #192

Listening to the two speak she wonders how much time they have to complete the challenge set on them. "I did not plan to wander, i know theres worse out here and i don't want to run into anything else right now... I am gonna try and see if i can get Liles attention through the weave so gimme a second... Oh yeah and how much time do we have to complete your challenge?" Turning her mind towards contacting Lile she tries to think of a good way to do it, not knowing how best to manipulate the Weave she decides to do something small first in hopes of getting Liles attention. Concentrating on the task at hand she begins trying to manipulate the weave, staying simple she attempts to just create a lantern like light in front of her figuring that copying a simple cantrip shouldn't be to hard to do.

Show

Know Abstract on how best to contact a Murrpau: (1d20+25)[37] or (1d20+25)[33]
    Spellweave to copy Dancing Lights to create a light: (1d20+4)[22]

Last edited by forg99rules; 2018-06-26 at 08:54 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

The Exiled Son - Asiresh

They had crushed your very existence. Scattered your soul across the realms and existence and cast you down into the filth of the mortal's world. Yet still you remained, still you struggled. Still you lived. A few hundred million years had found you in perhaps the worst state you had ever been, feeble and old. Even the body which you found yourself inhabiting could not be called the original. You've suffered chilling nights and blistering mornings, tortured and mangled, waiting for this chance. The devil which once haunted you many lifetimes ago had vanished, never to be seen again it seemed since you came to this world. It had been the first time in a long time you had ever been truly alone. Now it was time to destroy those who plotted against you, reclaim your birthright, and set the Cycle right. You were coming home.

The Lightbearer paused for the briefest of seconds, just long enough to cast a glance over his shoulder towards the door, then press on. The elf's news of the strange creature and the boy trapped in the hall seemed to be the least of his concerns. He trudged on, determined to see to his own business. Asiresh could feel the tingle of energy rush into his face and augment his vision with an arcane sight. The presence of magic was evident, he could feel it pulsing from the direction of the crow-faced man. As his vision cleared, the shape of the mystic aura became more defined; it was coming from the flames he bare. It was quite unlike any school of magic which he was familiar, but held a distant pulse of energy similar to the school of transmutation.

The corpse on the other side of the room appeared far more mundane. The corpse carried a pack beneath the torn cloak which appeared to still be in salvageable condition. The man didn't have any trace of magic, save for the black smoke smoldering from his wounds. A sight now made visible before his empowered vision. Whatever had murdered him, was magical in nature, but it was of no school - it was a cursed weapon which had felled him. Nelrin's words filled in the thoughts of his own conclusion, "Dread-Beast." Indeed. He had seen such creatures before in his previous life, when he had been Talri'Fel. Once in the form of the horrid remains of the black-knight, whom he had come to call Hollowed Vengeance, again with the creatures he had cut down from the sky with his Sisters when he had reclaimed the Renor... and for the last time when confronted by the unholy terror of the Great Devourer, Gal'Korhal. They were each 'dread-beasts', the so-called Qos'fuer-Yon. Terrors which even the horned devil did not wish to confront again.

Nelrin paused, staring at the strange sigil. "I've seen it before.... It's old. Very old. Far more than even I... If I recall, that is the brand of Rhahkhas. The First Son. First of any House, the Son of the Veil. He was destroyed long before Valga was born. An abominable mistake from what I was told. More creature than Child, and so foul he was not even granted a name. I have heard Lady Black took a fondness of the creature, but was commanded by The Mother to dispose of it. Now none speak of it, and just as well. I would call no such filth 'Brother'... Let us move quickly. The metal-doll might be held at bay by some manner of magic that crow possesses, or so I would imagine. Or this door would have already been removed. Better not to idle." He could feel his stomach begin to settle as he spent a few moments adjusting to clear air once again.

Show

Characters

⛨ Asiresh
    AC 15

⛨ Iron Hawk
    HP 31/31
    AC 20
    Momentum 11/12

֍ Asiresh +450 XP (2550xp)

✦ Glass Dagger Lost
    ✦ Asiresh is nauseated - 1/3 rounds

STATUS
    ✦ Asiresh's bow string has rotted. After a number of uses it risks breaking: 12/12 Uses
    ✦ Asiresh is nauseated while he remains in the smog (DC20 Fort to resist for 1d3 rounds)
    [Nauseated]: Creatures with the nauseated condition experience stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.

Last edited by Mornings; 2018-07-10 at 10:27 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

Feliks frowned at the letter. He was certain that there was two of them that went into the tavern, now there was only one. Probably said some words that weren't suppose to be said. He let out a long heavy sigh, as he looked over his equipment again. Much like Aden, he didn't like the control over them that was had, though he wasn't taking any sort of effort on the surface to be free beyond the usual work until you die to pay off the debts.

Under that however, he was certain that the curse of the gales could only work so well. No magic, be it god nor man, was invulnerable forever. "Well then. In the morning I shall meet with you again Aden to return to our Glorious Leader."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

Asiresh

Asiresh taking off running at the body to grab the pack which lied under the cloak. "Okay, so you know the rune but what does it do. More importantly, why is it down here of all places." Searching through the pack while moving toward the lightbearer to follow behind. "It's some half metal half girl monstrosity. It's not of this world yet its here. The boys name is something Iron....Bird? Iron...something...What are you here for? Rather, WHO are you here for? I may be able to assist, albeit not quite as well as you have been cleaving through here." With a clear click in realization in his mind he remembers."Iron Hawk! That was the kids name." Following behind the lightbearer a good 15 feet but off to the side of him as much as he can. Still keeping an eye out for anything that stands out to him.

Show
    Perception check once i catch up to the lightbearer IF i do in time.
    (1d20+10)[29]

Haunted Child

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

"Time?" The cowled woman paused, "A somewhat fickle concept here I'm afraid, but no more than twelve Passes. A somewhat difficult conversion for a Duvan-Witch such as yourself, but I'd estimate that as near to three Bells - perhaps less. Not very much time, though the concept of time as a whole is somewhat loose to what you would be accustomed to." The large man scratched his head, "Faux, what's the difference?" The woman sighed glancing at the hunter somewhat tiredly, "In Duvan time is measured by a length of counts, rather than the world's shift. A backwards effort to create a structured system of time-telling from the beginning of a period of counts to the end." Glemphree'El squinted with a raised brow as if even more confused by the explanation, "...Why? What's the point? Counting won't change when a Pass comes or goes." The woman shrugged, "Another means by which to gleam some mental measure of control I suppose. Don't think about it too much, they are a difficult sort to understand."

Stella envisioned the shape of a light, similar to the spells she had seen before, and to her surprise a long golden thread revealed itself. It wasn't the sight of the thread which came unexpectedly, after all she had seen so many of the things, but rather it was the awareness. The knowing that this thread had always been here, and not once since the time of its creation had it ever moved from it's place. The hooded woman looked back at the Witch, "Fortunately for all of us, this Restless Wizard or what-not dwells within the City of Duvan. A location easily reached from this shrine's gate. An unusual place for most, but for you it should be of no concern. It is a rare opportunity to be able to have a guide native to the city-realm, at least for outsiders."

Duvan'Ku. The memories flickered in her mind like flames. Yes, she knew it. Every Veilwitch did, for the entity of her training had been conducted there. An entire plane created by the Whispering Witch between Isto and Tangi'thac, a great city belonging to every outcast and stray across the realms twice-over. A wild and exotic city of industry and magic. A dirty sprawling ungovernable heaping metropolis spanning the entire realm, where the only law were the Witches of the Veil. Anything could be bought or sold with no question of morality nor legality. Untamed, unchained, man and beast lived how every they saw fit - as long as they were strong enough to defend it. The City of Duvan was a massive living test, designed to weed out those apprentices which held no potential, and raise the worthy up. Those who succeeded witnessed the true face of the realm, the heart of its existence; an inverted spirit-world of unspeakable magic, known as Duvan'Ku.

Her hands touched the thread, explosions fired in her mind as something clicked. A revelation. Her hands twisted the thread, as if it were a child's string-game, creating a square shape between the thumb and pointer finger of both hands. Light bloomed, creating a radiant blue sphere of energy which illuminated the interior of the ruins. A sharp pain, like a pulse, it thundered through her chest - something catching some distant end of the thread; finding her. Seeing her. But it was impossible to tell just what it was. Every Greater Spirit was tied to a thread, a fate yet brought until realization... Now such a vision flashed through her own mind.

Far away, she could see a whirling shattering world, a reflection reflecting a reflection. Three figures came into view through the gray maelstrom of mist forming within her mind, and she knew them to be herself. Each commanded a strange and unimaginable power. A thundering voice roiled out from the gray, it was familiar, she knew it well. "Awoken. Spellweaver. Veilweaver. Each are, but only one may be... Hail child. This choice remains yours once more. One fate must remain, the others... destroyed. Now you must choose. Which fate is your own?" Yes, she knew this voice. She remembered this scene, like a vision of deja vu. Now the great beast rose up, revealing his great and towering visage; crowned by a halo of scarlet light and clutching a massive arrow the size of a ship of war. She knew his name, and knew he was due an answer...

Returner Potential Advancement: Focused Mind - COMPLETE

Spoiler: Awoken
    Show
    Awoken Mind
    The mind was a frightful thing, even more so when it contained countless pages of forbidden knowledge and an unrivaled penchant for learning the secrets of the Weave. Capable of commanding the turbulent forces of the woven fates with a peerless grace, the Witch could hold steady violent powers which threatened to rip themselves apart in the hands of lesser souls. There existed no Spellweave which she could not master, but that was only a fraction of her genius, for her insight reached beyond this world - tapping into the forces of some nameless plane to instill life in her magic; sometimes literally. The threads twisted, the lights danced, and from it new creations born - living spell-creatures, fabricated from the energy she commanded. Awakened Arcana.

Spoiler: Spellweaver
    Show
    Spellweaver
    Some dedicated themselves to magic above all things. The pursuit of every form of conventional arcana, but Spellweavers stood above all such scholars of the arcane. Every magic which their minds could fathom rested within their palms. When it came to spinning the Weave, none could match them; they knew every assembly, they memorized the fates of the threads, they had chased the pattern. Study and dedication were their way, practice and repetition was their method. They could fashion a Spellweave twice before a witch could fashion one. They could bend the flow of time and unless their magic before they had even become threatened. Converting lesser magics into a more pure form was child's play, as was its teachings - for they could learn any manner of spell and manufacture an even greater force. But even the most seasoned Spellweaver knew well of fear, for they had seen where the threads led and learned of despair. There were some heights which should never be sought, power too terrible to command. Secrets, which must never be spoken. It was the duty of each of them to see that truth remained fulfilled, least all be lost...

Spoiler: Veilweaver
    Show
    Veilweaver
    Darkness. Depravity. The Eternal Black. These were the words of the Veil Witch. Sinister and unrelenting, nothing was sacred, nor would the feeble powers of their kin enough to slake their thirst for true and undiluted power. It was the simple nature of such things to destroy those who pursued it, and indeed, most were. Those who remained stood wholly committed to unearth the abyssal powers of the beyond, fearing no death nor eternity which waited to greet them. For they were damned by an unconquerable desire. Each manifestation of magic slowly corrupted them, changing them and steeping them further into the dark. The further they delved the more their minds were unhinged and removed from the realm of mortals, made mad by the knowing of forbidden secrets. A process known as the Blackening. Veil Witches could bend the Weave, but were far less potent than their kin. Rather, they sowed Veils; constructs of eldritch energies knitted together from countless threads. They could be abhorrent anomalies, physical fabrications, or even Diverged paths of reality. Secrets were precious, and knowledge - sacred, but to those who delved deep into the darkness awaited... Revelation.

??th of Rova, Sunday - Time: ?:05 am (Morning) / AR 4707

Show

֍ Stella XP +450 (6,650xp)
    ⯎ Gained Memory [Duvan'Ku] +200xp (6,850xp)

✦ Spited (Returner)

Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

22th of Rova, Sunday - Time: 8:41 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Autumn)

The terse woman looked at Aden before her gaze was drawn pointedly at Denil, "Apologies. Unfortunately, the Rusty Dragon has no vacancies... due to some two dozen wounded militia-men filling all my beds. Unlikely you'll find accommodations elsewhere with the festival still on, but I wouldn't throw a young man to the street. Feel free to find a place on the floor, I'll bring some linen to at least fashion your bedding. You'll have the night free, after all, it's been some time since the Dragon has had such a generous patron." The last words were keenly aimed at Denil, who uncomfortably adjusted the collar of his heavy shirt before clearing his throat. Ehm. "Of course."

Mrs. Corwin nodded, satisfied that the troublesome old man would at least take some responsibility for the mess he'd dragged through her door. Looking back at Aden she gestured at the letter. "So what's your fancy letter say? The young lad who brought it looked like he'd been through the Abyss itself to deliver it." As the wax split beneath his fingers, he could feel a sharp tingling sensation of a magical nature. A feeling strong enough to carry though the numbness which pervaded his senses. Seeing as how the thing didn't explode in his face, it was safe to assume it carried some manner of warding against those who may have sought to intercept its delivery. Not an uncommon thing for correspondence from the Club.

As he removed the weighty parchment from the envelop a pleasant fragrance filled the area, a stronger more robust scent. The sheet had a recessed impression of gold leaf on both sides which made a pleasing pattern while folded. The amount of money invested in personal appearances never ceased to amaze. Looking upon the contents of the latter, it was similarly prepared. Instead of hand-written text, it contained sentences which were of a golden foil relief within the parchment's surface. It simply read; "Congratulations on your successful mission."

However, that was not all the letter read, but evidently all which the sender wanted to be seen by others. In rough hand-written text it continued, something which was highly unusual, if not completely unheard of for any letter sent from the Club.

"If you're reading this, you're still alive as are at least a few of our allies. Everything went wrong. The city isn't safe. The Club isn't safe. You cannot return here. This job wasn't what we thought it was. The Rello's fooled us. The whole ordeal with them capturing and taking care of Plebeltin because of some Sczarni business was a farce. Plebeltin found something. Something he shouldn't have. Now they have him, but he doesn't have it. I don't know what it is, but they won't rest till they take it. Their eyes will be drawn to anyone which had any relation or contact with the fool, starting with you.

Spies has already infiltrated the Club, it's not safe. Whatever this is, it reaches far deeper than one simple crime family. Foreign mercenaries under the employ of someone called 'Bel'nacht' have begun to show up. I'm sure you've seen them as far as SandPoint already. Whatever their purpose, their ties to the town's crimelord is no secret. They will make every effort to detain you, and prevent your departure. You must escape before the news reaches them, before they find you.

I've made arrangements to have transport waiting for you at Wisher's Well, just north of the Ashen Rise. The driver will bring you across a secure route to Korvosa. You will be pursued. What allies we have left will see to meet you on the route to help drive back your pursuit. You must make it. You must. If fate favors you, I will see you again. Do not trust anyone who does not carry the sign of the White Crow, and do not trust Affri Rello. Whatever the truth is, she is not an ally and there is only death in her smile.

I'm sorry."

-Avecna

The old halfling scratched the back of his head, "Isn't it a little early for your lads to be looking for a bed anyhow? It's not even past the ninth bell. Your effort would be better spent looking for a fair driver to take you and your wagon back to the city. Speaking of early, I could use some food. Free food." The middle-aged man, Professor Bechfield, approached from the back of the tavern with an armful of linen and some basic sanitary supplies for the men upstairs. "Mind that, Mister Demn. There's a series of poisonings in the square, or so I heard. Perhaps it is better to simply take to the food you've paid for - and that won't leave you crippled." The short man sighed, "...Of friggin' course. Just had to ruin a good festival with food poison." Bechfield shrugged, "Lucian tends to them still. I suppose if you were going to be seen by anyone for such a thing, better to have so accomplished a caretaker." Denil waved him away dejectedly, already having given up on the whole affair.

Main Quest: Death In Her Smile
    Truth was a fickle thing. It changed form with each new angle with which it was seen; just as it did now. Avecna took great risk delivering a letter of warning to the young Gales, speaking of some unknown danger and grand conspiracy. Now a new threat rose from one which was so familiar. They had to escape the town of SandPoint, and rendezvous with Avecna far away in the city of Korvosa. Preparations were made, but they knew their foes would not make it easy.
    Difficulty: Moderate | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: Unknown
    Objective 1: Escape SandPoint
    Objective 2: Flee South through the wilderness to the Ashen Rise
    Objective 3: Meet the transport at Wisher's Well

Second Objective: Find Professor Mayvert & uncover clues to the construct's origin

(Suspended) Side Quest: The Devil Inside
    Emithy explained that everyone had begun having strange dreams, and even visions, without explanation. The only difference was how those effected interpreted their experiences. Most dismissed it completely. Dreams were just dreams, but some had more acute experiences. The depth of how men were effected seemed to differ based on the individual. It raised many questions, but none more so than if truly everyone across the world was now plagued by these strange haunts within their minds. It was an impossible scale, an impossible magic, but they had seen strange things. The young man advised them against pursuing these visions haphazardly, least they bite off more than they could chew. Maybe the voices were real and the world would be crushed by the endless darkness, but that didn't mean the voice in the blackness would come to their aid when their backs were against the wall. Perhaps the young man was right, perhaps it was better to take things slow. Perhaps it was time to take on a normal job?

Show

֍ Aden XP +250 (4,800xp)

֍ Feliks XP +300 (5,400xp)

Last edited by Mornings; 2018-07-07 at 01:03 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

The Exiled Son - Asiresh

With each step down the hall, the air seemed to grow heavier and more stagnant. The humidity was stifling and coated the walls with moisture just as it had begun to do to his clothes. The dampness beginning to set in started to make his movements sluggish. "I don't like this. The air has changed greatly. Unfavorably so." He could feel his ears begin to pop as if there were some building pressure difference. The Lightbearer didn't trade words no answer his questions. When he finished, he simply stopped, turned about and pointed one thick gloved finger at the old man - then back towards the way they had come. It was an ominous gesture which begged an answer but received none. Afterwards, the tall crow-creature turned back about and lumbered on down the hall towards his destination. "I do not know if this creature speaks, nor understands you, but I could feel his intent. A warning. Wherever this path leads, it is the wrong way - for us at least."

Show

Characters

⛨ Asiresh
    AC 15

⛨ Iron Hawk
    HP 31/31
    AC 20
    Momentum 11/12

֍ Asiresh +450 XP (3,000xp)

✦ Glass Dagger Lost
    ⯎ Asiresh is nauseated - 0/3 rounds

STATUS

19. - Top - End - #199

Her mind was not focused on the words being said by the two with her, she heard them and let her subconscious process what was spoken while she concentrated on the task at hand. It was difficult to do as the memories Duvan'Ku flitted through her mind, it was there that she had learned how to be a Veilwitch. The Cesspool of a place was a joy for those that liked a challenge and had the power to survive. Those whom had neither found the place to be horrid and full of danger, of course that was if they survived somehow... seems that not many complaints were had from those whom could not survive. As the memories stopped coming she felt the thread in her hands, the sudden click in her mind as she touched it brought goosebumps along her arms. A joy was felt deep within herself a the fact that she was getting ever so closer to gaining back the powers she once wielded. Her hands moved automatically as she spun the weave that she needed, a smile took her face as the light bloomed forth it died quickly though as the sharp pain came. Something had followed the thread and found her, she knew not what being it was but knew that whatever had found her was more dangerous than she.

As the vision came forth a giddiness filled her, she remembered the choice she previously made and once again was offered a chance at power. The choice was simple enough for her, she had wanted to gain back what was hers for so long that it was inane to even think of choosing otherwise. The power and draw that the forbidden secrets held was to great for most, the minds of lesser's could not know its depths... But she knew, or at least she did at one point, and now she would know again. She now had her chance to step back into the world that she once knew and again follow in the footsteps of Adessa. Looking up at the great beast before her, a crazed grin took to her face "The Veilweaver of course, is there truly any other option for one such as I?"

Show

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH buddy im getting my powers back. if it wasnt clear enough i am choosing Veilweaver, cant turn my back on adessa lol

Last edited by forg99rules; 2018-07-06 at 07:43 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wanderer of the stars, tender of dreams, guide our path through the darkness, give us wisdom to see the unseen."

Aden handed the letter to Feliks, slowly sinking back down onto a barstool. "Well. Let it never be said our sponsor has done nothing for us. We're not going to Magnimar, Denil. The Club is compromised. The whole job was a set up by the Rellos. Affri's people, specifically. They're looking for something Plebeltin had, and they're going after anyone who had contact with him. So. Ah. You'll likely be targeted. Avecna's arranged for us to be picked up outside the city."

Aden smiled sadly at Mrs. Corwin. "Mrs. Corwin, I am so sorry for all the trouble we at the Club have caused. You will likely see more, before this is done. If we all make it out in one piece, I promise I will do what I can to provide reimbursement for you. For now, you should close up. Leave the city. Affri's people will be following, and I imagine they'll be stopping by here before long."

Having said that, Aden picked up his pack, kicked up his halberd, and took a deep breath in. "We need to move quietly, and quickly. I wish we had some magic backup, but if it's three people I'm pretty sure we can get out fine. As long as we don't run into the boss herself. That could get tricky. Guess we'll have to nap later."
    No news is good news.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

Alternate Objective: Reclaim "Drejan'sila, Frozen Eternal". Summon the Ra'Dolfaal & heal your wounds.

"The choice is made. Arise, Witch of the Veil."

The great beasts voice thundered through her consciousness as two pillars of darkness smote the images of herself which stood in the mist. Obliterated and cast out unto oblivion, and from that ruin, through the gray whirling smoke did that reflection emerge. Should could remember it now, that reflection. It was herself, as she had been, once. It was not the garb of those Witches of this world which she wore. The massive hat she wore and all it's metal accoutrement were iconically distinguishing from some simple wizard's head-wear. The heavy ebon robes accented in living and animated silver patterns of light. She need not carry a staff, for her L'Drada were her tools, they were her weapons. Immortal unliving souls ripped from the bounds of time and fate to serve. Each of her servants were bound to the Thousand Branches, the boundless limbs of the great tree of Duvan'Ku; the foundation of her Fell Magic. Feared. Respected. Terrible. She was a Veilwitch. An 8th Magister of the Black Conclave, mere steps away from reaching her - Adessa. Before her existence, the faction had not seen one rise above the rank of 3rd Magister; not since Adessa Allessa.

The Whispering Witch had achieved the rank of Savant and joined the highest echelons of the Conclave, but in time she only met exile and her name was banished from those halls. Her own rise, was her master's revenge upon those pompous fools. A vengeance long due... but fate brought an even greater threat, cast her universe to ruin, and saw her cast down unto this feeble and humiliating state. She could remember now the power which once stood, to smite entire cities. To walk through streets littered with corpses. To unleash untold destruction and unspeakable blight with the sweep of a hand. Evil memories of cruelty, driven by a blackened heart, hardened by decades of refinement in her abyssal craft. Yet, even for all her might, never had she possessed the strength to see Quarry fall - nor contest the nameless powers which had drowned her world into the crushing black void of death. Reclaiming that strength would not be nearly enough. It was insignificant before those creatures. She had to become stronger, far stronger - stronger even than Adessa. Her reflection slowly drew closer, a smile upon her lips as she placed the small glinting fragment of luminescence within her palm. Now she had the key...

Circle of Black. Sacred ground. The Domain. It was the last Veil a Veilwitch would ever be taught - now it was her first. With it alone, entire forests could be destroyed. Cities could fall. Tens of thousands of souls, claimed in a fraction of a second. Yet, it was not a weapon, and indeed the tax such careless use would incur could bring about the immediate death of any Veilwitch who employed it improperly. Evil. She remembered it well. It was a fickle thing, a means to an end, yet it also represented an axis. A universal balance of power, both given and taken between so many cosmic forces. The Mother of the Black Veil did not disapprove of such violence and death, when it dealt with finesse and care given to that balance; but without it, one would find only Spite and a screaming bitter end.

With this power should could bend the rules of the world, rearrange the pieces. Yet, careful consideration had to be made with how such powers were used. Untold consequences followed in the wake of Divergence, something she had learned again in her second life. The power of the Spellweave was beyond definition, but Veils were infinite in their potential and scope. The Weave itself, in its complete and utter entirety was a Veil, and just like all Veils it was fabricated by a Veilwitch. Now it served as the very foundation for the magics of an entire multiverse. This was the vast scope of difference between the two forces, and it served as a lesson in how great care should be made when employing such unchained might. The ramifications of such power were beyond imagination to those feeble of mind, and as she was now, she wasn't much better. Apprentices might have been brought into the fold by seasoned Veilwitches, but their culture and community as a whole was not founded on kinship and trust. It was a dark and bloody affair, fueled by desire, lust and jealousy. Thus true Veilwitches, or at least those who were already indoctrinated, were not taught by other Witches. They'd sooner be murdered by their own kin than taught their secrets. A fact which was likely the central reason why they had been so easily suppressed by the Lampus of Quarry for thousands of years. They were as divided as enemies, but companions in their pursuit. The only organization among them came in the form of the Covens, powerful alliances of Veilwitches which formed the overall governing bodies of Duvan. Like the guilds of the mortal world, they held massive influence over their particular trades and monopolized the knowledge and training of certain key vocations.

Brutal and cunning, Duvan-Witches either belonged to a Coven, be it as a lackey or otherwise, or they bent a knee to the joint power of the Coven-Collective - a name given to the united council of the Covens which ruled Duvan. One Witch was not enough to tip the scale nor make a difference, usually. The same could not be said for her any longer, for she now possessed the Domain of Black. The Veil which would allow her to manufacture any number of Circles of Black. It was a Veil which was not taught, nor shared, and almost none save for Adessa herself knew it. Thus, the Covens of Duvan held control over the few existing Circles; sacred places of power all Veilwitches had little choice to go to use their forbidden magics. It was a divine Veil believed to only be held by the Whispering Witch herself, and their only means by which to channel their connection to their dark patron. Without the Circles, they could never hope to control the Veils, and with the Veils, they were nothing. This power gave her an authority which none other held in a sense, and made her more valuable than any other Witch of Duvan. A frightful reality she could hold no delusions of being able to keep secret, for the Veils one possessed were just as that light which she had seen her reflection pass her in the gray mist. When trained, they shown with power, like candles surrounding their holder. She needed strength, the proper kind, sooner rather than later. Like any real Veilwitch, she needed training from the very entities which they so frequently enslaved to their service. She needed Drejan'sila.

Now that her memories her filtering in, she did recall that the L'Drada did try to murder them all already. Remembering the whole ordeal within the forest before the Divergence and how they were nearly frozen to death, she couldn't help but sigh. Ultimately, no one could really blame the creature for trying. Released from it's constraints, yet still loosely tied to some feeble shadow of its former master - of course she would try to kill her. Though her powers were crippled in turn now that she could hardly employ any of the power which she once possessed. Yet as long as Stella's permission still remained, Drejan'sila could still employ what remained of her Veil - the Uttercold. Even if it was employed to murder the one who created it. She remembered it all now. Immortal spirit or not, if she stripped her Veil from the L'Drada she would be defenseless in her current state. The fragments of her magic were still bound to that creature, and that would be the foundation she would need if she could ever hope to surpass her past-life prowess.

"You alright, miss Witch?" She could feel sight return, her senses invade her own body as she came back to this reality. She wasn't the same, her thoughts felt... older. Looking at her Renor'vet, the Black Veil she now donned, brought with it a sense of disappointment. She would need to regain some measure of control of the thing quickly if she was to travel to that cursed city. The grandeur of one's Veil represented their might and strength, along with forming the anchor of their magic. In this world all the magic which she possessed would be considered 'blighted', as it was not drawn from the Weave. Thus it would strengthen her Veil to some minor and insignificant degree. With proper control and a bound entity at her command, it could be dismissed entirely, but she currently had neither. Passing a Veil to a bound servant was as simple a task as verbally granting permission to wield it, but binding such a servant was no simple task. Ultimately it simply relied upon both master and servant coming unto an agreement, but such things could quickly become complicated.

Faux looked at her with curiosity and caution, she could see it in her eyes. Caution, but not fear. This cowled woman was not afraid of her. Unlike the relatively handsome man who was simply ignorant, she knew exactly what she was. Exactly what Veilwitches do. She had been to Duvan. She knew how they told time, how they lived. She knew they could consume the life of the living, eradicate life en mass and unleash unspeakable horrors upon the world. She knew of their evil, the evil which now slowly budded inside her own breast. She had killed en-mass, even murdered children where required in her work. There was no joy, nor justice other than power. She could recall the deafening soundscape of horrid screams which once tormented her at night when she was young. The wailing. The burning. In another life, another past, she had closed her heart to it all. To empathy and kindness. To sympathy and benevolence, mercy and compassion. Those were facets of the weak and the dead... and she had seen so much death. Those who arose as a Veilwitch from the crucible of Duvan did so with the same dead eyes and stone heart as she. Those who could claim otherwise, returned without any semblance of sanity remaining.

She knew this. She had seen it, yet she was not afraid.
    Her heart could only question what darkness she carried.
    What was the face of the thing she truly feared, if not this?

"We need to go through the gate."
    She gestured at a pair of large pillars on the far end of the room.
    It was an ancient waypoint of a sort. One she had not recognized previously.

??th of Rova, Sunday - Time: ?:11 am (Morning) / AR 4707

Show

֍ Stella XP +450 (7,100xp)
    [B]⯎ Gained Memory [Circle of Black] +200xp (7,300xp)
    ⯎ Gained Memory [Duvan Covens] +100 (7,400xp)
    ⯎ Gained Memory [Past Life 1] +100 (7,500xp)
    ⯎ Veilwitch Path Advancement: Veilweaver

✦ Spited (Returner)

Show

Show

Veilwitch Path Advancement: Veilweaver

Darkness. Depravity. The Eternal Black. These were the words of the Veil Witch. Sinister and unrelenting, nothing was sacred, nor would the feeble powers of their kin enough to slake their thirst for true and undiluted power. It was the simple nature of such things to destroy those who pursued it, and indeed, most were. Those who remained stood wholly committed to unearth the abyssal powers of the beyond, fearing no death nor eternity which waited to greet them. For they were damned by an unconquerable desire. Each manifestation of magic slowly corrupted them, changing them and steeping them further into the dark. The further they delved the more their minds were unhinged and removed from the realm of mortals, made mad by the knowing of forbidden secrets. A process known as the Blackening. Veil Witches could bend the Weave, but were far less potent than their kin. Rather, they sowed Veils; constructs of eldritch energies knitted together from countless threads. They could be abhorrent anomalies, physical fabrications, or even Diverged paths of reality. Secrets were precious, and knowledge - sacred, but to those who delved deep into the darkness awaited... Revelation.

Benefit: Returner Path Advances to Veilwitch.

Your intelligence & wisdom increases by 4. The base DC of the Veilwitch's Spellweaves is 15 and her caster level while casting a Spellweave is considered 2 lower (minimum 1). The amount of Spellweaves which a Veilwitch may learn is extremely limited. The maximum amount of Spellweaves she may learn is 1d4 per hit dice she possesses. When learning a new Spellweave, she may choose to replace an existing one. The Veilwitch gains the ability to cast Veilweaves, unique constructs of otherworldly magic. Each Veil possesses unique qualities, however most cannot be directly used by the Witch nor other creatures. A Veil can be sentient, but cannot activate its own abilities without the Witch's command, a swift action. A Veil may be wielded by otherworldly entities such as Greater Spirits, but only with the Veilwitch's consent. Veils persist indefinitely until destroyed or dismissed, but the number which may exist at any given point may not exist her Arcane Aptitude. Veil's which require certain conditions to persist can only be maintained by the Witch who created it, or an entity allowed to wield it. The Witch may learn any number of Veilweaves, in addition each time she casts a spell or Spellweave there is a 15% chance a Veil is created. These spontaneous Veils will hold similar properties to the magic which created, while other features may be randomly determined. Spontaneous Veils cannot be learned as Veilweaves, but are unique constructs formed from her magic.

The Veilwitch begins with the following Veils:
    ⛤ Domain of Black
    ⛤ The Black Veil, Renor'vet

Spoiler: Veil: Domain of Black
    Show
    [Veilweave, General] Domain of Black
    The Eternal Black was the void-space which existed between the Primeval Dark and the higher world beyond, which the Mother of the Black Veil resided. It was here which the gateway to all great power manifested, but it was violent and destructive. An explosive esoteric explosive within the consciousness of any who dared open the gate. Sacred spaces existed which would lessen the punishing transition to this domain, but Veilwitches were a resourceful lot, and not so ethically inclined. If they could not reach such sacred ground, then they could simply make their own - though at great expense to all life and nature which might exist about them. It was a heavy tax, but one far better to pay than the harm which would be inflicted upon their very minds should they climb the moral high-ground. Many Veilwitches had gone mad after growing a conscious or finally being overcome by their own depravity, which is why most apprentices would be dead. A natural process which the merciless seasoned Witches referred to as 'The Culling'.

Activation: 1 Full-round action - Skill Check
    Associated Skill: Knowledge (Forbidden), DC20
    Use: Within a Circle of Black, a sacred geographic space, this Veil may be used - dealing 1 point of wisdom damage to the Witch. If the Witch activates this Veilweave outside of her sacred ground, she immediately suffers 6d6 points of wisdom drain and is afflicted with 6d6 points of Spite. This damage cannot be avoided by any source and must be applied to the Witch successfully for this Veil to function when used outside of a Circle of Black. The Witch may also choose to create her own Circle of Black, but doing so requires the completion of a dark ritual. The Witch must gather 10 HD worth of creatures and one child of a civilized race, sacrificing them within a large black circle. The manner which the sacrifices are murdered and the construction of her Circles does not matter. After completing her ritual and spending an hour in uninterrupted meditation with the corpses the ritual is complete. A large 50 ft circle is burned into the earth and all living creatures other than the Witch within 1 mile suffer 3d6 points of constitution damage. All natural life within this zone wilt and dies before hardening into a black petrified state. All sources of natural light in this corrupted landscape is decreased by 1 level and the caster level of magic with the healing or good description is reduced by 2 (minimum 1). A Circle of Black is only usable once every 1d6 days.

After successfully casting this Veilweave, the Witch fabricates an arcane construct of herself within the Eternal Black where she may seek the council of the Ra'Dolfaal - the terrible master of the darkness between. The function of her Veil may serve one of two functions:
    The wicked entity will answer any one question which the Witch inquires, but his response is limited to one word, which will never be 'yes' or 'no'. The answer which the Ra'Dolfaal speaks is always true, but may be deceptive.

The Witch may request the Ra'Dolfaal change one thing within an existing Divergence. The amount of words which she may use to provide the request is limited to one per hit dice she possesses. Regardless of the complexity or difficulty, the Ra'Dolfaal will always demand a price for the change, provided in one word. The Witch may choose to either except or decline the tax, and may always choose to make the request again at another time. The Ra'Dolfaal is forbidden from requesting the same price twice from a Witch, even if for the same request.

After using one of these two abilities, the Veil-body she created is destroyed.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Feliks looked over the paper reading it, frowning slightly. Well he could have told anyone that. The only reason he even left the witch with that smiling girl was because he had nothing to help her himself. Besides, she was plenty of trouble as it was. He's managed to stay on a single plane of existence now, at a certain time, and there hasn't really been any tomfoolery with magic doodads and screaming mimis.

For a moment, he thought of using the girl they were with. But the idea was dissuaded from his mind as he thought on it more. He wasn't a rogue, or spy, so he figured to leave the whole games to people more clever than himself in that regard. "We should move immediately." He murmers, tucking the letter away before turning towards the door again.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

22th of Rova, Sunday - Time: 8:46 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Autumn)

The grumpy old halfling paused, "Sorry, what was that? The damned Rellos want to kill us, again?" The short man pointed out the window, to the large exit in the distance leading out of SandPoint and following the Lost Coast Road once more. "The north gate's but a long spit away, my boy, and I don't see no cavalierly waiting. Arranged for transport... where? That's going to make a very large difference if you plan to go frolicking through the hinterlands." With a deftness, he turned about to grab Feliks before he wandered too far. "They saw you come in, lad. Best if they don't see you come out... At least if all this talk is true, that is. The town only has two lawkeepers employed, the sheriff and deputy. The militia are full-time volunteers... if you catch my meaning. Even honest men need to feed their families, and good 'ol Affri is ever happy to oblige. You won't find any help out there if she's meaning to take you, so best you remain unseen."

Mrs. Corwin crossed her arms at Aden's hopeless declaration, "You expect me to leave the Dragon alone, with only little Ameiko? ...and some two dozen wounded men under my roof? No, sir. I think not. We were here before those Rellos, and we'll still be here after they're gone." As she finished a man hurriedly burst through the taverns doors. His clothing was fine yet simple, a silk shirt with rolled sleeves accompanied by a red felt vest. Over his clothes he wore a heavy and exceptionally worn Chirurgeon's surgical apron, "Ross! We're leaving!" He spoke to the professor which had helped relocate the wounded inside the Dragon previously. The older man was evidently caught by surprise, still clutching the sheets in hand and looking flustered. "What are you talking about, there's still men who need tending... and what about your own patients-" He was sharply interrupted, "It's not food poisoning, it's Red Death! Father Kwen'tel and his entourage have already been evacuated, we're the last ones left." The linen and washware fell from his hands flatly with a resounding thud, "God's preserve us... Faustina's?" The man nodded, as he grabbed the stunned professor by the arm like a child, "Yes, but far more sophisticated than anything I've ever seen. It makes the Reaping Sickness that took Clover's Crossing look like child's play, I cannot cure it." The professor looked back at Feliks as he was dragged out the exit by his companion, "Don't let the sick touch anyone, you must burn anything the contaminated have touched. The town must be quarantined until I can send for help. It's a weapon! The towns-folk must remain inside until a cure can be found!"

The halfling cleared his throat, "Well... that sounds like a valid excuse to hit the road to me." He looked at the short woman behind the counter, "I'm assuming you're staying either way." She nodded firmly, "No sickness is gonna chase me out from my home. These old walls have weathered worse, and we've enough foodstuffs to last out." Denil sighed contemplatively before placing a stack of platinum on the counter, "Fair enough." In turn the woman pulled up a large heavy travel pack from below and slammed it down on the counter with a grunt, "Easy, girl. There's enough explosives in their to level this damn hill." With a deft movement he pulled the sack off the counter and threw it on his back, "Go out through the kitchen, and don't let those damn Rellos catch you."

DENIL DEMN HAS JOINED THE PARTY

Main Quest: Death In Her Smile
    Truth was a fickle thing. It changed form with each new angle with which it was seen; just as it did now. Avecna took great risk delivering a letter of warning to the young Gales, speaking of some unknown danger and grand conspiracy. Now a new threat rose from one which was so familiar. They had to escape the town of SandPoint, and rendezvous with Avecna far away in the city of Korvosa. Preparations were made, but they knew their foes would not make it easy.
    Difficulty: Moderate | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: Unknown
    Objective 1: Escape SandPoint
    Objective 2: Flee South through the wilderness to the Ashen Rise
    Objective 3: Meet the transport at Wisher's Well
    Alternate Objective 1: A weaponized disease of some sort has begun to spread in SandPoint. Remain un-afflicted by the blight.
    Alternate Objective 2: Send aid to the town of SandPoint to help contain the disease.

(Suspended) Side Quest: The Devil Inside

Show

֍ Aden XP +350 (5,150xp)

֍ Feliks XP +250 (5,650xp)

֍ Denil XP +400 (400xp)

24. - Top - End - #204

Hearing the great beast speak spread giddiness throughout her being, she was gaining back her powers even if they weren't what they once were. Looking upon the reflection of herself she couldn't help but admire the clothing that she had once worn. The massive hat was like none other that existed in this world, the ebon robes flowed as the animated silver wove throughout it. It was a look that she now wanted to gain back once again. Her memories kept coming forward, she had been one of the most powerful Veilwitch's at one point. An 8th Magister of the Black Conclave mere steps behind Adessa, the fear and respect she had worked hard towards was a memory she would strive to once again gain back or surpass. Her heart had been blackened by the craft she employed, now to she would walk the same path and most likely blacken herself once again. She already knew that she was on her way down the path, for all that she was she never cared for anyone else in this world only the power that she could gain from making connections with the feeble minded fools whom knew not what true power was. She needed strength, strength to survive, strength for the sake of strength and strength to never again fall to such a state as she was now in. Watching as her reflection came close, her breath caught as she saw the glinting fragment in her palm.

Circle of Black, a Veil she never had in her previous life. It was a powerful Veil, one that only Adessa was thought to have. Now she had its power, with it she would not be reliant on the Covens that ruled Duvan. The Veil would see its use as she needed a way to use her powers safely, she now knew what she had been doing wrong with her power and why she was now in the state she was in. The hole in her gut ached as her mind thought on how foolish she was to have used that power so wrongly, she would make sure not to make that mistake again with the Circle of Black she could ensure that. Her memories kept streaming in, the Covens of Duvan were a group she despised. She would have to watch herself when she went there for they would surely try and use her new found Veil for their own gain. Her mind once again was reminded that she needed strength to survive in Duvan, she needed a L'Drada to be bound to her once again. A more recent memory filtered in, a L'Drada that had recently tried to kill her. Drejan'sila, she held the Veil of Uttercold, a powerful enough Veil that she had given the L'Drada permission to use. She wouldn't blame her for having tried to kill her as with but a few words she could strip Drejan'sila of the power she held. Now it was just a matter of figuring out the best way to contact her and bind her without the L'Drada deciding to once again try and take her life.

As her mind pulled back to the present she felt her mind slightly changed, the memories and power had already changed her as she knew they would. Looking at her Renor'vet she sighed, "Well thats one thing that I need to fix sooner rather than later, the blighted magic i learned in this world will be of some help in that regard but still won't be near what I previously held. Though walking around with my Renor'vet out might also draw unwanted attention in Duvan." She needed to find a servant to bind as well, any Veils she created would be worthless without one. Looking over at Faux she cauldn't help but feel a sense of caution herself, the woman was not affraid of her as most would be instead she was curious and cautious. Her mind briefly wondered who exactly this woman was, if she had previously been to Duvan then she would held a power of her own that could ensure her safety in that hell hole of a city. As her mind drifted slightly to Duvan she once again remembered the untold death and destruction of her previous life. The horrors she had unleashed upon the world would once again find their way forward, she did not fear the power she seeked that feeling itself though caused her to feel a bit of fear in itself.

Looking over at the large pillars that Faux gestured to she was surprised to see the waypoint that she had previously missed. How could she have fallen so far to not recognize such a thing. Faux seemed to be in a hurry to accomplish her task, thinking back to what was said as she had manipulated the weave she tried to remember the amount of time that they had to complete the challenge... three bells was not long at all, though that could change as time is a finicky think here."I am more than alright right now Faux, you said we had three bells to complete the task correct? Give me a moment more if you would then we shall be on our way." She turned her mind towards Lile whom had been her guide, she needed him with her otherwise she would not be able to communicate with anyone else. Though now she wondered if there was something in Duvan that would allow her to communicate with others just as this circle they now stood within was allowing. Either way she wanted him with her.

Show

For figuring out how best to contact Drejan'sila and bind her again.
    Know Abstract: (1d20+27)[46] or (1d20+27)[36]

For other entities that she may be able to call forth to bind.
    Know Abstract: (1d20+27)[46] or (1d20+27)[37]

How to best increase her Renor'vet and control it.
    Know Abstract: (1d20+27)[37] or (1d20+27)[47]

How to use the waypoint
    Know Abstract: (1d20+27)[42] or (1d20+27)[28]

How to actually contact Lile now that she has gained back a good chunk of power.
    Know Abstract: (1d20+27)[44] or (1d20+27)[46]

If she could Bind Lile to herself
    Know Abstract: (1d20+27)[29] or (1d20+27)[40]

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Alternate Objective: Reclaim "Drejan'sila, Frozen Eternal". Summon the Ra'Dolfaal & heal your wounds.

Her mind did recall that Lile was a Murrpau spirit, a natural and uncorrupted form of a Praeter. Binding such entities was hardly a challenge, just as it was for Relicuum or Praeter, however, the ease with which it could be done also undermined the great risk. Any Relicuum or similar entity could be easily bound, indeed, they would willingly accept such servitude. However the master would have to accept a Brand; a powerful unbreakable oath which would bind the spirit to them, but their own soul to the destiny which served as that entity's origin. By no method could Spite be lost while holding a Brand, and thus great caution had to be taken while forming such pacts. The master had to ensure that she was both cleansed of any such taint, and made every effort to resist such corruption. It was a perilous risk, as some Relicuum were inherently blighted or wicked, tainting their masters over time until they were utterly destroyed. As eternal creatures, a few centuries of service to nothing to them. All of the risk associated with such an ordeal instead fell on the master of the pact. Such was the way of the Witches of the Council. Veilwitches were different. Rarely did they rely upon concrete ritual and law to afford them power. Instead, of binding entities in a traditional sense, they forged mutually beneficial pacts involving their Veils. Conditions of use and what services were rendered were determined far in advance, and in turn they would each benefit. Yet, it was not a relationship of master and slave, but partners.

Her magic had degraded so that almost nothing remained of those arrangements. Now what remained was simply left to run rampant and wild. Veilwitches could not afford to accept more corruption than they already did on a daily basis. Moderation was a necessity if one ever hoped to practice their magics for any considerable length of time. Even Spite was a resource, but it could not be received nor expended carelessly. Power begot power, and those most powerful of Veilwitches had more Veils to offer in tribute to their servitors and patrons. It was difficult to tell if she had anything to offer which would interest the feline, but even if she had, his circumstances were curious. A creature brought from the dwelling of a Sage, and whom no other living thing seemed to notice. These were not the features of a Murrpau, but she hadn't the slightest idea of what else he could be nor how else he could be contacted. His nature was a mystery.

Within the multiverse existed any number of nameless or undiscovered beings, entities beyond her own world, but a number of them could be used as a medium for her occult powers. Of those who might call themselves residents of the three worlds beneath the Wheel and Council, there was Praeter, Relicuum, L'Drada and Aegisir. A great deal of the spiritual creatures which dwelt within the realms of Tangi'thac and Isto'thac could also be reigned in under her magics just the same, but that was typically a waste of effort and her magical reserves were not infinite. Each servant she took required an investment of energy which diminished her own. It would be recovered should their bond end, but while it remained her own power was slightly weakened. The only Veilwitch known to have more than a handful of servants had been Adessa, and her black regiment.

Unlike Relicuum and Praeter spirits, L'Drada and Aegisir were painfully difficult to harness. Unnatural entities torn from the fates as powerful tools whose existence transcended death. There were only three ways with which either a L'Drada or Aegisir could be brought under a Veilwitch's command, and none were simple. By simple nature of each of the entities, by default each servant belonged to a single master, as assigned by the one who carried the Black Book; a tome of unfathomable power that not even the Whispering Witch had an opportunity to wield. Only the Paragon of the House of Black, the favored daughter of the Mother of the Black Veil, was allowed to command the Book - a grimoire known as 'The Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity'. At times fragments of the book could be found, small contained simulacrums of its likeness throughout the three worlds, in places which a Relicuum's destined fate had been made manifest. It was an impossibly rare occurrence, and was not enough by itself to summon nor bind an Aegisir or L'Drada, but it was a considerable force in the right hands. The grimoire's master, the chosen daughter, was known as Lady Black. A godlike being who represented her House upon the council of deities which formed the Wheel. Without her explicit approval, and direct summoning of an Aegisir or L'Drada, none could exist.

After such a being was created however, other options remained. All such entities held a master upon being drawn into the world, but if their master were to die they could serve another. Traditionally a new master would be assigned, but if one came to an agreement with the being then a pact could be struck voluntarily. The oath of service itself was not enough by itself, it had to be recognized by one of the fifteen Speakers - or in her case, sixteen. Without this, their arrangement would mean nothing. However, even if such a being had a master, that relation was not absolute - and at times a jealous rival might even contest the master's claim. If an Aegisir or L'Drada's master still lived, their pact could be contested by another. The dispute would be brought before the Dark Teller, who would in turn represent each of the three Houses and judge the merit of the claim. If he favored the claim, a new master could be appointed, or the L'Drada or Aegisir could even be removed. The resolution of the claim lay entirely at his own discretion. As she was now, her status as a 'master' over Drejan'sila had died with her past life, and now only her Veil and this shell of a Witch remained. She could appeal to the Dark Teller, though Afsspa'sol had mentioned that he was 'detained' or something similar. A hearing from Lady Black seemed more like words of fantasy than reality, and she doubted that Drejan would ever come to an agreement with her. Even when she had been the L'Drada's master, she was still despised. Coming to an agreement with the frozen creature seemed highly unlikely. At the very least she was not difficult to find. Anywhere which there were rumors of the Uttercold and those who died immediately from the frost upon nightfall were the places to look, for she could not be far.

Having regained a measure of her power reminded her of just how useless she had become. She could not even control her own Renor'vet while she lacked the actual Veilweave to maneuver it. She would need to practice her Veilweaves and begin to create them again if she ever hoped to be able to regain even a measure of her command. Until she had begun to create Veils, controlling her Renor'vet was an impossibility. A spontaneous Veil seemed the best solution to begin getting her feet wet once more. As she was now, she had never even created a Veil. She'd lost the feel of it, and no such aptitude remained. Every waypoint held a manner of activation, some required a magic or Spellweave, while others could function simply by being within their proximity. Typically it required no thought or effort to identify the mode of activation for a waypoint, it came as a sixth sense. Yet, she hadn't even noticed it, and no such awareness came to her... She had no idea what might be the mode with which it was awoken from its dormant state. [Stella | Knowledge (Abstract) - Partial]

The mysterious woman shrugged, "Fine, but make it quick, we don't have much longer to see this done." She turned towards the waypoint and begun making her way across the room, "Won't know what you're saying til we get to the- b'byr'suul." As she stepped outside of the ring her words shifted into a language she did not understand. Not bothering to wait for her companion, she sauntered over to the dais and spit on the floor between the pillars where the waypoint was formed. The large man pat her on the head, "Don't take too long, we gotta get those pants!" With that, the man took off after Faux, nearly slipping in a slick puddle as he went. Unlike the cowled woman, the waypoint activated as soon as he stepped upon it's zone of influence.

"Ji'nindol'zha vel'klar dos'ph!'"

A familiar voice called from above.
    Lile's head poked out from far above where the wide hole gaped in the ceiling.

??th of Rova, Sunday - Time: ?:18 am (Morning) / AR 4707

Show

֍ Stella XP +450 (7,100xp)
    [B]⯎ Gained Memory [Circle of Black] +200xp (7,300xp)
    ⯎ Gained Memory [Duvan Covens] +100 (7,400xp)
    ⯎ Gained Memory [Past Life 1] +100 (7,500xp)
    ⯎ Veilwitch Path Advancement: Veilweaver

✦ Spited (Returner)

Show

Show

Your intelligence & wisdom increases by 4. The base DC of the Veilwitch's Spellweaves is 15 and her caster level while casting a Spellweave is considered 2 lower (minimum 1). The amount of Spellweaves which a Veilwitch may learn is extremely limited. The maximum amount of Spellweaves she may learn is 1d4 per hit dice she possesses. When learning a new Spellweave, she may choose to replace an existing one. The Veilwitch gains the ability to cast Veilweaves, unique constructs of otherworldly magic. Each Veil possesses unique qualities, however most cannot be directly used by the Witch nor other creatures. A Veil can be sentient, but cannot activate its own abilities without the Witch's command, a swift action. A Veil may be wielded by otherworldly entities such as Greater Spirits, but only with the Veilwitch's consent. Veils persist indefinitely until destroyed or dismissed, but the number which may exist at any given point may not exist her Arcane Aptitude. Veil's which require certain conditions to persist can only be maintained by the Witch who created it, or an entity allowed to wield it. The Witch may learn any number of Veilweaves, in addition each time she casts a spell or Spellweave there is a 15% chance a Veil is created. These spontaneous Veils will hold similar properties to the magic which created, while other features may be randomly determined. Spontaneous Veils cannot be learned as Veilweaves, but are unique constructs formed from her magic.

⛤ Domain of Black

Show
    The Eternal Black was the void-space which existed between the Primeval Dark and the higher world beyond, which the Mother of the Black Veil resided. It was here which the gateway to all great power manifested, but it was violent and destructive. An explosive esoteric explosive within the consciousness of any who dared open the gate. Sacred spaces existed which would lessen the punishing transition to this domain, but Veilwitches were a resourceful lot, and not so ethically inclined. If they could not reach such sacred ground, then they could simply make their own - though at great expense to all life and nature which might exist about them. It was a heavy tax, but one far better to pay than the harm which would be inflicted upon their very minds should they climb the moral high-ground. Many Veilwitches had gone mad after growing a conscious or finally being overcome by their own depravity, which is why most apprentices would be dead. A natural process which the merciless seasoned Witches referred to as 'The Culling'.

Use: Within a Circle of Black, a sacred geographic space, this Veil may be used - dealing 1 point of wisdom damage to the Witch. If the Witch activates this Veilweave outside of her sacred ground, she immediately suffers 6d6 points of wisdom drain and is afflicted with 6d6 points of Spite. This damage cannot be avoided by any source and must be applied to the Witch successfully for this Veil to function when used outside of a Circle of Black. The Witch may also choose to create her own Circle of Black, but doing so requires the completion of a dark ritual. The Witch must gather 10 HD worth of creatures and one child of a civilized race, sacrificing them within a large black circle. The manner which the sacrifices are murdered and the construction of her Circles does not matter. After completing her ritual and spending an hour in uninterrupted meditation with the corpses the ritual is complete. A large 50 ft circle is burned into the earth and all living creatures other than the Witch within 1 mile suffer 3d6 points of constitution damage. All natural life within this zone wilt and dies before hardening into a black petrified state. All sources of natural light in this corrupted landscape is decreased by 1 level and the caster level of magic with the healing or good description is reduced by 2 (minimum 1). A Circle of Black is only usable once every 1d6 days.

After successfully casting this Veilweave, the Witch fabricates an arcane construct of herself within the Eternal Black where she may seek the council of the Ra'Dolfaal - the terrible master of the darkness between. The function of her Veil may serve one of two functions:
    The wicked entity will answer any one question which the Witch inquires, but his response is limited to one word, which will never be 'yes' or 'no'. The answer which the Ra'Dolfaal speaks is always true, but may be deceptive.

The Witch may request the Ra'Dolfaal change one thing within an existing Divergence. The amount of words which she may use to provide the request is limited to one per hit dice she possesses. Regardless of the complexity or difficulty, the Ra'Dolfaal will always demand a price for the change, provided in one word. The Witch may choose to either except or decline the tax, and may always choose to make the request again at another time. The Ra'Dolfaal is forbidden from requesting the same price twice from a Witch, even if for the same request.

Last edited by Mornings; 2018-07-30 at 07:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Aden grimaced as the doctor was dragged out. A weaponized disease, laced into the free food handed out during the festival. Damn it, Affri. Was this for us? Did you risk killing off your own townsfolk just to try and get to us?

The thief shook his head, trying to clear away the guilt starting to well up inside him. There was no time. Affri Rello would get what was coming to her - if not by him, then by some other enterprising soul. Those who poisoned the people they were supposed to protect did not last long. But for now, the most important thing was survival. Rejoining with the rest of the Club, in...Korvosa. That would certainly be interesting. He hadn't been back to the city since he fought with his father. That conversation had been uncomfortable. And violent. Hopefully they would not be staying long.

He smiled sadly at Mrs. Corwin. "Then all I can say is good luck, and may we meet again."

Aden moved to the kitchen door, poking his head out to check the exit for safety. "Avecna's instructions are for us to meet a transport at Wisher's Well, where we'll take a secure route to Korvosa. We should expect pursuit. Apparently we should also be looking for the sign of the White Crow, and those are the people we should be trusting. It's all a bit cloak and dagger for me, but whatever gets us out of here alive, right?"

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Perception to check for safety - (1d20+7)[14]
    Stealth to not be seen poking head out of door - (1d20+10)[28]
    No news is good news.

27. - Top - End - #207

The knowledge just kept coming to her, she knew things previously forgotten from her last life. She knew that knowledge was power for a Veilwitch and that if she wanted to get stronger then having that knowledge would help her in the long run. Watching as the two headed off through the waypoint she sighed to herself, "Well this is going to be a joy, i got a powerful veil but it will end up making me a target... i am far to weak to support myself so hopefully they will leave me alone once in Duvan." Looking up as she heard a familiar voice she was glad to see Lile poking his head out above. "Well hey there Lile, hop on down here into the circle and we can chat real quick... I got some things to speak to you about."

Show

Just a quick post since i was waiting on lile

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

The otherworldly feline shook its head hesitantly, "Gaer? Us'tan sh'lubnaut sultha nindel'k'lar.'" The cat didn't move from his spot above. He simply looked down from her perch, and she up at him for a time. Then after a long pause, Lile turned away and vanished from sight. The drip of water from the ancient walls of the ruin sounded from off in the darkness, splashing into puddles. Aside from that rhythmic ambiance, a dead silence had settled in, and after the minutes slowly rolled by the shadows seemed to grow long. While the short Witch couldn't understand what the spirit had said, one thing become painfully clear; Lile wouldn't enter this place.

She was on her own.

??th of Rova, Sunday - Time: ?:21 am (Morning) / AR 4707

Show

֍ Stella XP +250 (7,350xp)
    [B]⯎ Veilwitch Path Advancement: Veilweaver

✦ Spited (Returner)

Show

Show

⛤ Domain of Black

Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

Asiresh

"Well so much for that plan. I was trying to follow him and stay safe as it seems he is keeping that thing at bay. Perhaps that rune has done the same in the big room before. I would presume that to be the only way now is to pass through the door beyond it." While still searching through the bag previously lifted off the corpse, Asiresh turns to head back to where the man of light was pointing, back to the large room that he had entered into before. As he does so he does so with the same haste and quickness as before. To an almost sprinting speed to try to stay ahead of the monster of a machine girl. "You never told me what that rune does or why it was down here Nelrin. I would like to know what you can remember. I know you don't normally work well with others or like to help anyone unless it benefits you but by being forthright to me I can try to understand something more so than some of your other hosts. Keep in mind we were one of the same at one point. There is a lot I can still understand that I once would have never."

Show
    Nothing special here just talking and moving as fast as possible back to the room with the sigil.

Haunted Child

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

The Exiled Son - Asiresh

Taking the words of the devil into account, Asiresh turned about, heading back out from the southern pathway he had followed the strange crow-faced man. The bag which had had recovered was of considerable weight, easily in excess of thirty-five pounds. The contents bounced around haphazardly as he walked past the strange red seal upon the ground for a second time. The horned specter sneered at the old man, "Ah, my apologizes. I've developed a habit of ignoring your stupid questions... Unfortunately, I've yet to develop the power to read the minds of long dead filth and unravel the mystery of every idiotic thing they did; and so... I have no idea why Rhahkhas created that ridiculous looking seal for himself, what purpose it holds, or why it was placed here. Maybe one of your mortal-friends saw it in a book and decided to would be fun to scribble it on the floor. Before being murdered by whatever creatures have overtaken this place at least. That's my working theory currently, I do hope you find it, productive." The devil's venomous words dripped with an unusual overabundance of sarcasm, whereas typically he would have just been casually insulted and not have received at all. Nelrin appeared evidently frustrated, but he couldn't be truly sure what was the cause. Perhaps it really was his incessant questioning, but he doubted it. After all, Nelrin'Fel was a devil of trickery, betrayal, lies and deceit - at least when he was actually fulfilling those diabolic functions. Fabricating some falsity or fabricated history would have fit closer to his portfolio than plainly admitting something he didn't know. It was unusual.

As he recalled, this Rhahkhas, was far older than the three brothers. Yet, this was the first time he had heard his name. It was also no secret that Children generally possessed no liberty to distinguish themselves uniquely, except in the manner allowed of them. They possessed no unique sigils, nor distinguishing features all their own. Even their names were granted by their betters, representing their existence and relation, or service to their House. It was an institution born of uniformity while such manners of self expression were reserved for more lowly beings, such as the mortal creations birthed from wiles of the Mothers. Anything else was a corruption of their purity in the eyes of their kin. It seemed like a clear explanation as to why this son was disposed of.

The only door which remained to him in the circular chamber he re-entered lay to the east where the corpse still lay. The bag he had already retrieved from the body was made of a heavy waxed canvas to waterproof its contents. An relatively cost-effective and intelligent choice within this subterranean hole. The bag itself was simple in make, a crude cut a cloth shaped like a large pocket tied close with a strong waxed cord which ran from the bottom of the sack, sewn in. When fixed properly, it also made a rough sling by which to wear it. Opening the thing up revealed an assortment of hastily retrieved items. The most prominent of which was a largely modified filter hood, a form of gas mask. It wasn't effective against every manner of airborne toxin or irritant, but judging from the glass eye-pieces and attached cowl which covered the neck and head when worn, this one was specifically designed for delving within the recesses of the sewers winding halls and resist the burning miasma which polluted the interior. A much needed necessity if he hoped to escape this place.

A large number of sizable leather bags filled the interior of the sack, some of them were spilling open revealing a large number of dirty coins; gold, silver and coppers. Fortunately the bags themselves were supposed to be some manner of criminal's 'teller-bag', which marked the exterior with the value each held to be deposited elsewhere. The last two items were highly unusual, the first was a greenish transparent sphere, some manner of orb of a material he'd never seen before. It was almost pearly with an unusual marbled hue of white swirled together with its primarily emerald color. A small pulse of energy radiated from the center of the thing, and it physically throbbed within his hand as if it were a heart - though the orb itself did not physically contract and expand whatsoever. Even with careful examination he couldn't identify the unusual device.

The last item was a weapon, an unusual sword. Less than a longsword, but more than a shortsword, it was something of a cross between the two. A single handed weapon with an impractically long blade that looked as if it would throw the blade off balance. Yet it sat squarely in hand, robust and powerful for so small a package. The scabbard was of exceptional quality, cut from a highly polished and liquored white calcified wood that looked far too ancient to name. The wooden fittings of the sword itself were of similar material, though burled and treated for beauty. Taking a quick once-over of the sword itself, and half-drawing it to inspect it's quality it was immediately evident the weapon was of some manner of magical composition. Once again he couldn't identify the magic which was bound to it, but he could distinguish some of it's physical qualities. The sword's blade had been forged from some manner of pattern welded alloy, creating a black and white contrast around the cutting-edge and fuller of the sword. A super-hardened edge with a flexible and powerful core, he was sure it was some manner of skymetal alloy, but he had never seen this particular manner of forgework before. The flat of both sides of the blade were inlaid with three white-gold stars on both side while it's flowery carved hilt was encrusted with lavish tsavorite gems. While the shortsword did not emit any visible light, it softly hummed as if vibrating while held. It felt as if it could easily cleave its way through wood or stone with an effortless grace. A makers mark was carved into the grip along with letters, perhaps a name, in an ancient language he had not seen before. It was difficult to judge the value of the weapon, but he was sure he had just recovered some manner of stolen relic, perhaps long lost to these criminals lurking within the bowels of the city. The corpse he had retrieved it from had likely died trying to secret the weapon away while no one was looking.

Spoiler: Previous Area Map
    Show

Spoiler: Recovered Items - Heavy Bag
    Show

⯎ Modified Sewer Mask (Filter Hood) | (2lbs)
    ⯎ Strange Shortsword (Unidentified) - Failed | 1d8, 18-20x2, S/P (2lbs)
    ⯎ Strange Orb (Unidentified) - Failed | (0.5lbs)
    ⯎ 673gp, 412sp, 544cp | (32.5lbs)
    ⯎ Waterproof Bag | (0.5lbs)

Show

Characters

⛨ Asiresh
    AC 15

⛨ Iron Hawk
    HP 31/31
    AC 20
    Momentum 11/12

֍ Asiresh +450 XP (3,450xp)
    ⯎ Recovered 'Strange Shortsword' +250xp (3,700xp)

✦ Glass Dagger Lost
    ⯎ Asiresh is nauseated - 0/3 rounds

STATUS