Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: E6 Appetizer Edition (Round VIII)

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Okay folks, talk to me. We’ve got under 12 hours to the extended deadline, and I have a lone, solitary Shugenja in my inbox. What gives? I know that it’s still a Secret Ingredient, but I thought that this would have been easier to work with than friggin’ Hexblade. Did I pick a poor SI, or are we victims of bad timing, or what?

I’m hopeful that I’ll get the traditional flurry of last-minute entries over the course of the day, so maybe everything will be fine. But if that doesn’t happen, what went wrong, and what can we do to prevent it from going wrong again?
    College. I wouldn't have the time to finish building and submit for at least another week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

If I had more familiarity with Magic of Incarnum, Tome of Battle, and Oriental Adventures, I think something very interesting could have been crafted. Alas, inspiration struck too late for me to use it.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

I have entries from two chefs. This, um, isn’t enough. I don’t want to just give up, but I don’t think I can in good faith have a reveal with this few dishes. Who’s still working? Is another day going to be enough to get even one more dish in?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently cooking for round 28. Everyone is welcome!

My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

Queer pride isn't limited to one month!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

I have entries from two chefs. This, um, isn’t enough. I don’t want to just give up, but I don’t think I can in good faith have a reveal with this few dishes. Who’s still working? Is another day going to be enough to get even one more dish in?
    I had the inkling of an idea but I don't have the time to put it together. Sorry man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

depending on how my day goes tomorrow, i will attempt to get one done and in, it's possible, but depends on what's going on..
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

I mean to be honest, I’m gonna get home super late tomorrow anyway, so it’ll be a couple days at the least before I can post a proper reveal.

I guess we’ll just play the Song of Time once more. Three more days, folks. Don’t let me down, I beg you!

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently cooking for round 28. Everyone is welcome!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

I have only the fluff to still write, which I will not be able to get to until tmw. I'll get this in to you in the next 24 hours however.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Between work and a complete lack of inspiration, I have absolutely nothing for the Shugenja. I should have more time come next month, but for now I have to pass on this round.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

I had discarded 2 ideas for builds but I will see if I can marshal up a 3rd.
    How would caster levels above 6 work if one was able to find a way to do so?
    Last edited by Ulfsarkar; 2018-05-01 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Rules question

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Okay everyone. I don't think I can squeeze any more blood from this stone, so I'm just gonna post the smallest round ever.

I had originally planned to post the assembled builds in a very specific order to go along with my little comments, but we'll just have to improvise. Incoming reveal!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Default O-Pare

EARTH! (By which I mean Air!)

Quote Originally Posted by O-Pare
    O-Pare the Wyrmforged

NG Dragonborn Warforged Shugenja 6

Humanoid [living construct][dragonblood]

Str:8
    Con: 12
    Dex: 10
    Int: 16
    Wis: 13
    Cha: 14
    Living construct traits
    Wings aspect

At level 4, +1 Wisdom

Background

Bahamut hasn’t been the same since he dealt with the whole Krynn fiasco. There is something about tiamat’s behavior on that plane that really upset him: the theft of the metallic dragon eggs and the foul rituals used to make the draconians. Under one of his many names, Bahamut set up contingency plans on all the other prime material planes where he had influence. From this point on, a radical shift away from draconic focus Can be observed in the subsequent invention of the dragonborn. The modification of humanoids to become draconically affiliated smacks of hypocrisy to tiamat, who sees it as entirely the same as Dragon egg modification for prime material plane foot soldiers. Bahamuts emphasis on consent to the transformation do little to convince her of the difference between dragonborn and draconian, but such arguments are typically reserved for the divine Dragon listserve.

In a funny little cluster of planes, the humanoids figured out how to create entirely new artificially constructed lifeforms. Bahamut chose on of these “warforged” and offered them a mission: protect the metallic dragon eggs from being stolen and/or altered...

Significantly a better investment than spending divine power on humanoids, the warforged come armored, and built to withstand the ravages of time far beyond the years of the humanoid races, Superior to even the longest lifespanned humanoids, warforged have none of the deplorable trademark of equal parts haughtiness and frailty that elves exhibit. Further, robots don't look like wyrmling dragon food, unlike the fleshy humanoid servants of bahamut.

So….one of the current chosen protectors for eberron is an adamantine plated warforged shugenja. Something about the draconic transformation of the warforged broke something in the warforged: his first dream occurred in his bahamut egg. He hasn't stopped dreaming since...

The dragonborn modified its mission to include protections against any transformation/attack of dragon or egg, be it metallic or chromatic, as the robot sincerely believes that the evil of chromatic dragons is not entirely inherent, but a product of indoctrination paired with amazing heritable draconic power. That power, reasons the warforged, is the major corrupting influence of Dragon spiritual alignment. The appearance of spawn of tiamat in eberron complicates the shugenjas mission, as the “vector” seems entirely “divine blessing” from tiamat.

The warforged has committed himself to opposing the actions of the draconic Chamber affiliation in Khorvaire, seeing its rise and the appearance of tiamat spawn as related, particularly with the focus of the chamber being to meddle in the affairs of the lesser races. Towards this end he has begun reaching out to the so-called rogue dragons to make them aware of his mission. Later, he can maintain one way contact with them through the dreamspace. Often delivering Intel about the plotting of the chamber against them. In return, they are his roster of wyrmling foster parents when he does interfere with Dragon wyrmlicide.

The warforged has a simple plan. Find imperiled Dragon eggs and wyrmlings and deliver them to safety and draconic tutors if possible. Secondary mission: ascertain the process that creates spawn of tiamat and interrupt it to preserve Dragon blood corruption. However, if he finds dragonspawn clutches, he guarantees a safe hatching and connections to compatible Dragon overseers.

Neutral good and nearly exalted in his compassion, the warforged is patient and brave in facing persistent treachery from the wyrmling charges that he often has to treck alongside for hundreds of miles to deliver them to safety.

Level Class BAB Fort Ref Will Skills Feats Class features
    1 Shugenja 0 0 0 2 k. arcana 4, k. psionics 2, k. planes 2, spellcraft 4, concentration 4, handle animal 2, diplomacy 4, craft rune 4, Adamantine Body (Eberron Campaign Setting, p. 50) Elemental focus, sense elements, spells
    2 Shugenja 1 0 0 3 k. arcana 5, concentration 5, diplomacy 5, craft rune 5, handle animal 2.5, k. psionics 3, k. planes 3 Elemental Recognition
    3 Shugenja 1 1 1 3 k. arcana 6, diplomacy 6, craft rune 6, handle animal 3, k. planes 6 Dream Scion (Secrets of Sarlona, p. 116)
    4 Shugenja 2 1 1 4 k. arcana 7, diplomacy 7, craft rune 7, handle animal 3.5, k. planes 7, spellcraft 5
    5 Shugenja 2 1 1 4 k. arcana 8, diplomacy 8, craft rune 8, handle animal 4, k. planes 8, k. nature 2
    6 Shugenja 3 2 2 5 k. arcana 9, diplomacy 9, craft rune 9, k. planes 9, k. nature 5, Dragon Trainer (Races of the Dragon, p. 98)

Epic Feats1: Dream of Instinct (Secrets of Sarlona, p. 116)
    2: Dream of Contact (Secrets of Sarlona, p. 115)
    3: Glyph Scriber (Dragon Compendium p.148):
    4: Dream of Insight (Secrets of Sarlona, p. 115)
    5: Dreamtelling (Heroes of Horror, p. 122)
    6: Shield Proficiency
    7: Craft Rune Circle (Races of Stone, p. 137)
    8: Combat Casting
    9: Shielded Casting (Races of Stone, p. 144)
    10: Favored in Guild ( Dungeon Master's Guide II, p. 227): Scholastic: knowledge planes

Glyphs:
    Ik: Polymorph. Targets its victim with a baleful polymorph spell that turns the victim into an earthworm for 1 round per caster level. A Fortitude save negates the effect.
    Weirkan: The stoner. This glyph turns the toucher or passer to stone for 1 round per 2 caster levels. A successful Fortitude save negates the effect.
    Ez: Magicbane. This glyph drains charges from any wand possessed by the toucher or passer, 1 charge per caster level. It causes uncharged items: such as magical weapons and potions, to be unable to function for 1 round per level of caster. The item appears to be a mundane object of the relevant type. The magic is merely suppressed, not destroyed. For example, a bag of holding is a normal sack for the duration, but once this effect ends the contents within it can be retrieved as normal. The target of this glyph is allowed a Will save to negate the effect Wands lose their power automatically.

Spells: (from left to right as you gain levels)
    0th:
    guidance (order, air), ghost sound (air), detect magic (all), know direction (air), create water (other), daze (air), read magic (all), light (other)
    1st: detect snares and pits (order, air), speak with animals (other), expeditious retreat (air), silent image (air) feather fall (air)
    2nd: detect thoughts (order, air), minor image (air), silence (air)
    3rd:
    clairvoyance/clairaudience (order, air), glyph of warding (all)

Guild: Knowledge Domain Affiliation
    (Complete Champion p.36)
    Rank 1, affiliation Score 4-12: Student: Choose a Knowledge skill in which you have at least 1 rank. Unchangeably and Henceforth Gain a +2 bonus on checks with that skill: Knowledge planes

Rank 5 Affiliation Score 30: Scholar: Once per day, negate a single ability of an enemy creature that you’ve discovered using a successful Knowledge check. This effect lasts for 1 minute and is a supernatural ability. The creature can attempt a Fortitude save (DC 10 + your character level + your Int modifier) to negate this effect.

A look under the hood.
    The first thing you see when you look at the shugenja is that it only has two class features total: a single first level ability and a byzantine vancian spellcasting system. As far as that magic is concerned, Shugenjae(?) cast divine spells, so armor doesn’t affect them negatively at all. Shugenja get no armor proficiency feats. Unfortunately, you can’t just take heavy armor proficiency and be done with it, that feat has a pre-requisite: medium armor proficiency; which has a pre-requisite; light armor proficiency. Rather than deal with all of that feat bloat, why not just be a warforged and take the adamantine body feat? We’ll pick up a shield later to get our AC into the 20s. At sixth level, we get flight. “A dragonborn can’t fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted.” This didn’t mention heavy armor like so many other PC races with flight like raptorans. This dragonborn can fly in it’s adamantine plating however, sweet. With flight, the longspear becomes helpful in that you can dive attack from reach.

While we’re at it, let’s look at the weapon proficiencies to see what we get: Simple weapons and a shortsword. Yuck. Seriously, just be a cleric…

Interesting simple weapons: blowgun (DMG p.145), grapple firing crossbow (Song and silence p.52), knife crossbow bayonet (complete scoundrel p.109), close fighting blade (Races of the Wild p.166), longspear, heavy aspergilium (Races of Faerun p.91)

Interesting short sword: knee blade (complete scoundrel p.109)

Interesting ammunition: eggshell grenades (OA p.78), alchemist’s mineral acid (Underdark p.67) > Delver’s slime (Savage Species p.46) > stonebreaker acid (A&EG p.35)

So let’s pick up a crossbow, a longspear, and a kneeblade.

Sense elements is terrible. You need to hit spellcraft DCs in the 30s to get actually useful results, which is really tough on and E6 build. We’ll put skill points in spellcraft, but we aren’t gonna focus on this one too much. D

One last thing you see when you look at the shugenja is the hidden third class feature, obtained at level 2! found here: http://archive.wizards.com/default.a.../cwc/20070227x

Elemental Recognition (Su): Starting at 2nd level, a shugenja can identify creatures with an elemental subtype during an encounter from any distance. The shugenja gains a +2 bonus on Knowledge (the planes) checks to identify such creature types, but gains no insight about their special powers or vulnerabilities. See Knowledge on pg. 78 of the Player's Handbook. Moreover, the shugenja can make these Knowledge (the planes) checks untrained. This bonus increases by +1 for each shugenja level the character takes after 2nd level.
    At any distance? From ANY Distance? Any Distance.

Little known fact: Most dragons have an elemental subtype. Go check that out in the Monster Manuals. Red and Gold are [Fire]. The only one that shugenja can’t mess with is the [cold] subtype, which leaves silver dragons, which are plenty capable, and white dragons which are plenty weak.

Anyways, this warforged can walk around pinging out any dragon orphans or abandoned eggs, and take them in. At any distance. I don’t know how to square the fact that knowledge arcana is what governs identifying dragon related hooplah, whereas the class ability harps on using knowledge (planes), but it doesn’t matter: you got dragondar. Just dump the skill points into both knowledges and let the game master decide. Join the knowledge domain affiliation to get a +2 to your k. Planes or k. Arcana check, and then take the favored in guild feat to get another +2 to that check. If you make it to rank 5 in your domain, you can shut off the powers of creatures that you identify, and, if you can sense them from far away, you can take 20 on that check after the course of an hour of study. Or during your sleep if you use this ability with dream of insight.

Once we get the baby dragon eggs to safety, we got to rear them, That’s what a responsible nannybot would do. So the dragon trainer feat becomes necessary. There is no way to get 3rd level spells and the handle animal skill onto a warforged shugenja in only 6 levels, so we need a way to boost that check.

This is where the dreamtouched feats come in once again. We’re already in Eberron: it’s naturally elegant. We get three things from dreamtouched feats,

* +10 to any skill after blowing a full round action, and blowing full-round actions is basically the shugenja’s natural habitat anyway, now we can at least hit a +14 to our handle animal check to rear those dragonkin
    * the ability to identify dragons at any distance in your warforged sleep Draco scanning! We can also use that to power our sense elements ability, if for some dogforsaken reason that becomes necessary.
    * The ability to contact identified dragons that you’ve spoken to before in their dreams.

The first dreamtouched feat is dream scion. 1-2 times a day, the player can enter a dreamtouched state- ”a condition of conscious dreaming that focuses the world around you even as it reveals your own inner self.” This grants +2 to int, wis, and cha, for a few rounds and unlocks the rest of the dreamtouched feats.

The cool thing about that description is that it legitimizes the use of the dreamtelling feat from heroes of horror to make knowledge (planes) checks as a way to get free augury spells out of going into a dreamtouched state by reading the psychic dream energy of his environment and sitting around thinking about it. Further, if the elemental recognition feature is used to detect a dragon wyrmling with an elemental subtype really far away, the warforged can use knowledge planes check as a survival check to follow tracks while in a dreamtouched state.

Here’s the text of the dreamtelling feat so you don’t have to crack open heroes of horror:

Spoiler
    Show
    Dreamtelling (Heroes of Horror, p. 122) [General] You can use your Knowledge (the planes) skill to interpret your dreams or the dreams of others, thus gleaning useful information and insights.
    Spoiler
    Show

Benefit You can interpret the basic symbolism of a dream to figure out what sorts of concerns or fears are likely to have inspired it.
    Dream Being Interpreted ---- Knowledge (the planes) DC.
    Features obvious symbolism ---- 10.
    Involves cultural details or concepts with which you are not very familiar ---- 15.
    Represents memories of past events with which you are not familiar ---- 20.
    Both the previous conditions are true ---- 25.

Attempting to garner insight into future events, or events occurring elsewhere, by reading the prophetic images of a dream adds +10 to +20 to the base DC, depending on how obscure the omens are. The DM must decide if a dream contains prophetic imagery; a sufficiently high roll might glean some information even if the dream was not overtly oracular. Making the DC required to interpret a dream grants information comparable to an augury spell (see page 202 of the Player's Handbook). Exceeding the required check by 10 or more offers information comparable to a divination spell (see page 224 of the Player's Handbook). Exceeding the required check by 20 or more offers information comparable to a commune spell (see page 211 of the Player's Handbook). Even if your result was not high enough to enable you to read prophetic images, the result might be sufficient to interpret basic symbols and events. Thus, a check result of 18 is insufficient to foretell the future but still grants some information about cultural details or concepts. You can use this feat to determine what effect injuries received in a dreamscape are likely to have on you once you return (DC 15), or whether an item or location was created by the dreamer or brought in from outside (DC 20); see Chapter 3 for information on adventuring within dreamscapes. Finally, this feat allows Knowledge (the planes) to function in place of Survival when used within a dreamscape. This skill can be used to retrace your steps and return to a known person's dream, or to attempt to track a creature across the dreamscape. Action: Dreamtelling requires careful analysis of bizarre images and events. If you are trying to interpret your own dream, you must cogitate on it for a number of minutes equal to 30 minus your Intelligence modifi er. If you wish to analyze someone else's dream, that person must fi rst describe it to you in great detail, adding an additional 10+1d10 minutes to the process.

Try Again: No. The check represents your ability to interpret that particular dream. You can attempt to interpret other dreams the same individual has later, but you get only one attempt per dream. Similarly, you have only one attempt to determine whether an item is native to a particular dream. Special Most campaigns are not set up to interact with the dream world. Hence, this feat is only available if the DM specifically states that he or she has decided to allow it in his or her campaign.

Once you rescue eggs and wyrmlings, you have to protect them. That’s where the glyph of warding spell and the glyph scriber feats come in. You can set up all sorts of wards, but most importantly, you can turn people into worms or statues. An earth shugenja could Stone shape these statues, in fact that build is probably better than this one. But we're an air shugenja, so we are going to buy stonebreaker acid or ditherbombs, or delver slime to destroy those statues before the unpetrify. A heavy aspergilium made of the right materials can help.

We already have the ofuda, and the glyph scriber feat, so we'll stick with the rune theme and get craft rune circle to make location based magic items. Further, due to the close relationships with dragons, this ability can be done on behalf of potential patrons or to set up home bases for released wyrms in exchange for spell prerequisites to make his personal rune circles.

In an E6 game, an AC in the 20s will serve you well. So let’s add the shield proficiency feat for some additional AC. Then, combat casting as a pre-req can get you the shielded casting feat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shielded Casting (Races of Stone, p. 144) [General] Prerequisite Combat Casting (PH) , Concentration 5 ranks, Shield Proficiency,
    Spoiler
    Show

Benefit As long as you have a light shield, heavy shield, or tower shield ready, you do not provoke attacks of opportunity for casting spells in combat.

And all of that makes the best shugenja possible.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2018-05-04 at 09:44 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Default Spirit of Fire

FIRE! tencharacters
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Fire
    Spirit of Fire

A fire gensai from Calimshan, Spirit was trained by the church of Kossoth to wield fire in pursuit of the church's aims. He has embraced his fiery nature and used it to master the divine magic he channels.

Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st Shugenja 1 +1 +1 +1 +2 (Skill points, ability bonues, and racial bonuses, 4/level/shugenja)
    Concentration (Con) +5, Iaijutsu Focus (Cha) +5, Knowledge (arcana) (Int) +4, Spellcraft (Int) +4
    Simple Weapon Proficiency, Martial Weapon Proficiency (short sword), Bloodline of File Element Focus, Sense Elements (3/day)
    2nd Shugenja 2 +2 +1 +1 +3 (Skill points, ability bonues, and racial bonuses, 4/level/shugenja)
    Concentration (Con) +6, Iaijutsu Focus (Cha) +5.5, Knowledge (arcana) (Int) +5, Spellcraft (Int) +5
    Simple Weapon Proficiency, Martial Weapon Proficiency (short sword), Bloodline of File Element Focus, Sense Elements (3/day), Elemental Recognition
    3rd Shugenja 3 +2 +1 +1 +3 (Skill points, ability bonues, and racial bonuses, 4/level/shugenja)
    Concentration (Con) +7, Iaijutsu Focus (Cha) +6, Knowledge (arcana) (Int) +6, Spellcraft (Int) +6
    Simple Weapon Proficiency, Martial Weapon Proficiency (short sword), Bloodline of File, Armor Proficiency (light) Element Focus, Sense Elements (3/day), Elemental Recognition
    4th Shugenja 4 +3 +2 +2 +4 (Skill points, ability bonues, and racial bonuses, 4/level/shugenja)
    Concentration (Con) +8, Iaijutsu Focus (Cha) +6.5, Knowledge (arcana) (Int) +7, Spellcraft (Int) +7
    Simple Weapon Proficiency, Martial Weapon Proficiency (short sword), Bloodline of File, Armor Proficiency (light) Element Focus, Sense Elements (3/day), Elemental Recognition
    5th Shugenja 5 +3 +2 +2 +4 (Skill points, ability bonues, and racial bonuses, 4/level/shugenja)
    Concentration (Con) +9, Iaijutsu Focus (Cha) +7, Knowledge (arcana) (Int) +8, Spellcraft (Int) +8
    Simple Weapon Proficiency, Martial Weapon Proficiency (short sword), Bloodline of File, Armor Proficiency (light) Element Focus, Sense Elements (4/day), Elemental Recognition
    6th Shugenja 6 +4 +3 +3 +5 (Skill points, ability bonues, and racial bonuses, 4/level/shugenja)
    Concentration (Con) +10, Iaijutsu Focus (Cha) +7.5, Knowledge (arcana) (Int) +9, Spellcraft (Int) +9
    Simple Weapon Proficiency, Martial Weapon Proficiency (short sword), Bloodline of File, Armor Proficiency (light), Fiery Burst Element Focus, Sense Elements (4/day), Elemental Recognition

LE Lesser Planetouched (dragonblooded, fire gensai, FR Campaign Setting & Races of Faerun) Shugenja 6 (Order of the Consuming Flame)
    S-12
    D-12
    C-12
    I-10
    W-12
    Ch-17 (+1 at 4th level)

HP: 30 (6 +6(Con bonus) +(5*3.5) +1 (Dragontouched))
    AC: 11, flat-footed 10, touch 11
    Init: +1

(Skill points, ability bonues, and racial bonuses, 4/level/shugenja)
    Concentration (Con) +10, Iaijutsu Focus (Cha) +7.5, Knowledge (arcana) (Int) +9, Spellcraft (Int) +9, Listen (Wis) +2, Search (Int) +1, Spot (Wis) +2

Spoiler: Spells Known
    Show

Level 0th 1st 2nd 3rd
    1 Order - Flare (fire)
    Element - Detect Magic (all), Disrupt Undead (fire)
    Other - Guidance, Resistance
    Order - Burning Hands (fire)
    Element - Hypnotism (fire))
    Other - Shield of Faiths
    2 Order - Flare (fire)
    Element - Detect Magic (all), Disrupt Undead (fire), Light (fire)
    Element - Hypnotism (fire)
    Other - Shield of Faith
    3 Order - Flare (fire)
    Element - Cause Fear (fire), Hypnotism (fire)
    Other - Shield of Faith
    4 Order - Flare (fire)
    Other - Ghost Sound, Guidance, Resistance
    Other - Shield of Faith
    Order - Produce Flame (fire)
    Element - Flaming Sphere (fire)
    Other - N/A
    5 Order - Flare (fire)
    Element - Detect Magic (all), Disrupt Undead (fire), Light (fire), Read Magic (all)
    Other - Shield of Faith, Silent Image
    Other - Resist Energy (all)
    6 Order - Flare (fire)
    Element - Detect Magic (all), Disrupt Undead (fire), Light (fire), Read Magic (all)
    Other - Shield of Faith, Silent Image
    Order - Searing Light (fire)
    Element - Fire Wings (fire)
    Other - N/A

Spoiler: Feats
    Show
    Simple Weapon Proficiency (Player's Handbook)
    [General]
    You understand how to use all types of simple weapons in combat (see Table 7–5: Weapons, page 116, for a list of simple weapons).
    Benefit: You make attack rolls with simple weapons normally.
    Normal: When using a weapon with which you are not proficient, you take a –4 penalty on attack rolls.

Martial Weapon Proficiency (short sword)(Player's Handbook)
    [General]
    Choose a type of martial weapon, such as a longbow (see Table 7–5: Weapons, page 116, for a list of martial weapons). You understand how to use that type of mar*tial weapon in combat.
    Use this feat to ex*pand the list of weapons with which you are proficient beyond the basic list in your class description.
    Benefit: You make attack rolls with the selected weapon normally.
    Normal: When using a weapon with which you are not proficient, you take a –4 penalty on attack rolls.

Bloodline of fire (PGtF)
    [Regional]
    You are descended from the efreet who ruled Calimshan long ago. The blood of these fire spirits runs thick in your veins.
    Prerequisite: Human (Calimshan) or planetouched (Calimshan),
    Benefit: You receive a +4 bonus on saving throws against fire effects. In addition, you cast spells with the fire descriptor at +2 caster level.
    Special: You may select this feat only as a 1st-level character. You may have only one regional feat.

Armor Proficiency (light) (Player's Handbook)
    [General]
    You are proficient with light armor (see Table 7–6: Armor and Shields, page 123).
    Benefit: When you wear a type of armor with which you are proficient, the armor check penalty for that armor applies only to Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, MoveSilently, Pick Pocket, and Tumble checks.
    Normal: A character who is wearing armor with which she is not proficient applies its armor check penalty to attack rolls and to all skill checks that involve moving, including Ride.

Fiery Burst (CM)
    [Reserve]
    You channel your magical talent into a blast of fire.
    Prerequisite: Ability to cast 2nd-level spells,
    Benefit: As long as you have a fire spell of 2nd level or higher available to cast, you can spend a standard action to create a 5-foot-radius burst of fire at a range of 30 feet. This burst deals 1d6 points of fire damage per level of the highest level fire spell you have available to cast. A successful Reflex save halves the damage. As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting fire spells.

Blistering Spell (PH2)
    [Metamagic]
    Your fire spells sear the flesh from your enemies' bones, leaving them wracked with pain.
    Benefit: This metamagic feat can be applied only to a spell that has the fire descriptor. A blistering spell deals an extra 2 points of fire damage per level of the spell. In addition to the spell's normal effect, any creature that fails its save against a blistering spell takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls and checks until the beginning of your next turn. A blistering spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

Fiery Spell (Sandstorm)
    [Metamagic]
    Your fire magic is bolstered, further scorching your enemies.
    Benefit: A fiery spell deals an extra 1 point of fire damage for each die of damage the spell deals. This feat can be applied only to spells with the fire descriptor. For example, if a 9th-level wizard with this feat casts a fiery fireball, the fireball deals 9d6+9 points of damage. A fiery spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

Healing Flames (RoF)
    [Genera]
    You can draw energy from open flames to heal yourself.
    Prerequisite: Base Will save +3, fire genasi or tanarukk
    Benefit: When you use your control flame spell-like ability, you instead may touch the flame and heal yourself a number, of hit points of damage depending upon the size of the fire. This counts as a use of your control flame ability for the day. Touching the flame causes you no harm when you use this ability, but if you enter the flame, touch more than just its edge, or remain in contact with it for more than 1 round, you take damage from the fire.

Nonlethal Substitution (fire) (CA)
    [Metamagic]
    You can modify an energy spell to deal nonlethal damage.
    Prerequisites: Knowledge (arcana) 5 ranks, any metamagic feat.
    Benefit: Choose one type of energy (acid, cold, electricity, or fire). You can then modify any spell with the chosen descriptor to deal nonlethal damage instead of normal energy damage. The nonlethal spell works normally in all respects except the type of damage dealt—for example, a nonlethal fireball has the same range and area, but since it deals nonlethal damage instead of energy damage, it will not damage objects or set fire to combustibles in the area.
    A nonlethal spell uses a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s normal level.

Searing Spell (Sandstorm)
    [Metamagic]
    Your fire spells are so hot that they can damage creatures that normally have resistance or immunity to fire.
    Benefit: A searing spell is so hot that it ignores the resistance to fire of creatures affected by the spell, and affected creatures with immunity to fire still take half damage. This feat can be applied only to spells with the fire descriptor. Creatures with the cold subtype take double damage from a searing spell. Creatures affected by a searing spell are still entitled to whatever saving throw the spell normally allows. A searing spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

Transdimensional Spell (CA)
    [Metamagic]
    You can cast spells that affect targets lurking in coexistent planes and extradimension al spaces whose entrances fall within the spell’s area.
    Benefit: A transdimensional spell has its full normal effect on incorporeal creatures, creatures on the Ethereal Plane or the Plane of Shadow, and creatures within an extradimension al space in the spell’s area. Such creatures include ethereal creatures, creatures that are blinking or shadow walking, manifested ghosts, and creatures within the extradimension al space of a rope trick, portable hole, or familiar pocket (see page 106).
    You must be able to perceive a creature to target it with a transdimension al spell, but you do not need to perceive a creature to catch it in the area of a burst, cone, emanation, or spread.
    A transdimensional spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s actual level.
    Normal: Only force spells and effects can affect ethereal creatures, and no Material Plane attack affects creatures on the Plane of Shadow or in an enclosed extradimension al space. There is a 50% chance that any spell other than a force effect fails against an incorporeal creature.

Versatile Spellcaster (RofD)
    [General]
    You can use two lower-level spell slots to cast a spell one level higher.
    Prerequisite: Ability to spontaneously cast spells,
    Benefit: You can use two spell slots of the same level to cast a spell you know that is one level higher. For example, a sorcerer with this feat can expend two 2nd-level spell slots to cast any 3rd-level spell he knows.

Dragontouched (Dragon Magic)
    [General]
    You have a trace of draconic power, a result of dragons in your ancestry or a spiritual connection between you and the forces of dragon kind.
    Prerequisite: Cha 11.
    Benefit: You gain the dragonblood subtype. You gain 1 hit point, a +1 bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks, and a +1 bonus on saving throws against paralysis and sleep effects. In addition, you can select draconic feats as if you were a sorcerer of your character level.

Accelerate Metamagic (Transdimensional Spell) (RotD)
    [General]
    You can apply a selected metamagic feat to your spells more quickly than normal.
    Prerequisite: Dragonblood subtype, Spellcraft 4 ranks, any metamagic feat, ability to spontaneously cast 1st-level spells.
    Benefit: Choose a metamagic feat you know. You can apply the selected metamagic feat to any spontaneously cast spell without increasing the casting time.
    Special: You can gain Accelerate Metamagic multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new metamagic feat.
    Normal: Without this feat, metamagic spells with a normal casting time of 1 standard action take a full-round action for spontaneous casters. Metamagic spells with a casting time of longer than 1 standard action take spontaneous casters an extra full-round action to cast.

Accelerate Metamagic (Searing Spell) (RotD)
    [General]
    You can apply a selected metamagic feat to your spells more quickly than normal.
    Prerequisite: Dragonblood subtype, Spellcraft 4 ranks, any metamagic feat, ability to spontaneously cast 1st-level spells.
    Benefit: Choose a metamagic feat you know. You can apply the selected metamagic feat to any spontaneously cast spell without increasing the casting time.
    Special: You can gain Accelerate Metamagic multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new metamagic feat.
    Normal: Without this feat, metamagic spells with a normal casting time of 1 standard action take a full-round action for spontaneous casters. Metamagic spells with a casting time of longer than 1 standard action take spontaneous casters an extra full-round action to cast.

Spoiler: Elemental Focus
    Show
    Element Focus: See Complete Divine.

Spoiler: Sense Elements
    Show
    Sense Elements (Sp): See Complete Divine.

Spoiler: Elemental Recognition
    Show
    From http://archive.wizards.com/default.a.../cwc/20070227x
    Elemental Recognition (Su): Starting at 2nd level, a shugenja can identify creatures with an elemental subtype during an

encounter from any distance. The shugenja gains a +2 bonus on Knowledge (the planes) checks to identify such creature types,

but gains no insight about their special powers or vulnerabilities. See Knowledge on pg. 78 of the Player's Handbook.

Moreover, the shugenja can make these Knowledge (the planes) checks untrained. This bonus increases by +1 for each shugenja

level the character takes after 2nd level.

Spoiler: Lesser Planetouched Fire Gensai
    Show
    From FR Campaign Setting and PGtF:
    Fire genasi are hot-blooded and quick to anger, proud and unafraid to take action. They are most often neutral. They appear mostly human, with one or two unusual traits reflecting their quasi-elemental nature, such as skin the color of burnt coal, red hair that waves like flames, or eyes that glow when the genasi is angry. They prefer to dress simply and elegantly, although their fashions can be more flamboyant than the most outrageous trend.
    Regions: Fire genasi are most common in Calimshan, for much of that land was long ago ruled by efreet. They are also found in Chult, the Lake of Steam, and Unther, which are all lands near volcanoes.
    Racial Abilities: Fire genasi have the following racial traits:
    +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma: Fire genasi have bright minds, but are impatient and quick to anger.
    +1 racial bonus on saving throws against fire spells and effects. This bonus increases by +1 for every five class levels the genasi attains.
    Size: Medium.
    Base Speed: 30.
    Darkvision up to 60 feet.
    Control Flame (Sp): Fire genasi can cause a nonmagical fire within 10 feet of them to diminish to the level of coals or flare to the brightness of daylight and double the normal radius of its illumination. This ability does not change the heat output or fuel consumption of the fire source, lasts 5 minutes, and may be done once per day. They use this ability as 5th-level sorcerers.
    Humanoid (planetouched): They are susceptible to spells that specifically target both humanoids or outsiders.
    Automatic Languages: Common, home region. Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages, such as Druidic).

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Default Nazzy

WIND! tencharacters

Quote Originally Posted by Nazzy
    Nazzy

Stub/crunch

Spoiler
    Show

CN Kenku Shugenga (Air) 5, Seeker of Misty Isle 1
    Order of Spring Zephyr

Kenku:
    +2 DEX, -2 STR, 2 nat weapons 2 claws 1d3, +2 Hide/Move Silent, Low light vision, Common/Kenku
    30 speed
    Great Ally (Ex)- give or gain +3 when aiding another, get +4 on flanking instead of +2
    Mimicry (Ex) – perfectly mimic sounds/voices/accents Bluff vs Sense Motive check

HP: 5d6+1d8+12

32 pt buy:
    S10 (-2), D14(+2), C14, I12 (lvl up here), W12, C16
    PICTURE:
    Spoiler
    Show

Build
    Spoiler
    Show

Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st Shugenga 1 +0 +0 +0 +2 Bluff 1, Concentration 4, Know Religion 4, Spellcraft 4, Survival 4, UMD 4 Apprenticeship Element Focus – Air, Sense Elements, Spells
    2nd Shugenga 2 +1 +0 +0 +3 Conc 5, Know 5, SC 5, Survival 5, UMD 5 - -
    3rd Shugenga 3 +1 +1 +1 +3 Conc 6, Know 6, SC 6, Survival 6, UMD 6 Scribe Scroll -
    4th Shugenga 4 +2 +1 +1 +4 Conc 7, Know 7, SC 7, Survival 7, UMD 7 - -
    5th Shugenga 5 +2 +1 +1 +4 Conc 8, Know 8, SC 8, Survival 8, UMD 8 - -
    6th Seeker of the Misty Isle 1 +2 +3 +3 +4 Bluff 3, Conc 9, SC 9 Brew Potion Travel Domain, +1 spellcasting
    Feats:
    1-Smatterings
    2-Communicator
    3-Force of Personality
    4-Spell Focus (Illusions)
    5-Steady Concentration
    6-Improved Initiative
    7-Iron WIll
    8-Great Fortitude
    9-Extend Spell
    10-Sudden Extend

Spells
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Bonus Spells 1 each for level 1-3 from CHA, 1 extra 1st known from apprentice feat
    Spells per day
    1: 0-5, 1-4
    2: 0-6, 1-5
    3: 0-6, 1-6
    4: 0-6, 1-7, 2-4
    5: 0-6, 1-7, 2-5
    6: 0-6, 1-7, 2-6, 3-4
    Spells Known: o+x+x (order plus element (air) + any other element except earth
    1: 0-o+2+2, 1-o+1+2
    2: 0-o+3+2, 1-o+1+2
    3: 0-o+3+2, 1-o+2+2
    4: 0-o+3+3, 1-o+2+2, 2-o+1+0
    5: 0-o+4+3, 1-o+2+3, 2-o+1+1
    6: 0-o+4+3, 1-o+2+3, 2-o+1+1, 3-o+1+0

Spell lists

Order spells:
    0-Daze: humanoid of 4HD or less loses next action
    1- Disguise Self
    2-Blur: attacks miss 20% of the time
    3-Invisibility: 1min/lvl or until attacks

Air Spells/Others Known:
    0-Daze, Ghost Sound, Guidance, Know Direction/Create Water, Read Magic, Cure Minor Wounds
    1-Expeditious Retreat, Sleep/Cause Fear, Hypnotism, Animal Friendship
    2- Color Spray/Lesser Restoration
    3- Haste

Travel Domain:
    Granted Power- 1x/day 1 round freedom of movement
    1-Longstrider: +10ft ground movement for 1hr/lvl
    2-Locate Object
    3-Fly: 60ft/Good for 1min/lvl, when ends, fall to ground at 60ft/round for 1d6 rounds and land safely

Apprenticeship feat: creating your own based on the examples: Since there is no listing under Spellcaster Mentor for spontaneous divine, we’ll create our own based loosely on this entry (and the requirements our build needs too  )
    -retain the +2 bonus to Spellcraft checks
    -change the divine caster benefit to an additional 1st lvl spell known to the other elements list (as the spontaneous arcane version)
    -associated skills: Survival, UMD

Animal Friendship is listed as a Shugenga spell in OA, and links to the PHB (3.0) for the spell description. Since the spell isn’t updated in the 3.5 handbook, it’s still a legal source. In the spell text, I can have up to 12HD of creatures as animal companions in general, or up to 6HD of animals as companions if I’m adventuring at 6th lvl.
    -Dire Hawk, MM2 76 or RotW 189, advanced 1HD

Background
    Spoiler
    Show

For as long as he could remember, Nazzy always thought of himself as still a real bird. Just because he couldn’t fly didn’t mean he still didn’t love the air and all its complexities. Growing up in the village Nazzy always found himself following the Priestess around. The Priestess could shape the elements and speak to the wind too! Nazzy began doing odd jobs for the Priestess, and then after a while of showing that he was trustworthy enough, became an actual apprentice to her highness. Nazzy learned to speak to the wind, and after a while was sent out to test himself in the wild.

Nazzy learned to make friends with the other creatures of the world, and one of them, Birdy, even accompanied him on his travels. When Nazzy had to go into or near other settlements, he would hide his true appearance, and speak to the strangers in their own tongues and dialects. In this way he met a friend who was always out looking for something but could never find it. Nazzy asked to help his friend find his thing, and was sworn into some secret cult.

Nazzy and Birdy traveled the world together, they both spoke to the wind in their own ways, and after awhile, Nazzy could soar on the wind right next to his bestest friend.

Playstyle:
    Spoiler
    Show

Scribe scroll and brew potion to give us more uses later for our limited spell pool and list. An ex-bird race infatuated with being a bird again and manipulating the air, making friends with a bird and eventually flying along side him as they adventure together. Smatterings, Communicator and Mimicry all working together. Some utility and support spells to help our friends out, we'll take our potshots with a crossbow as needed. Sudden extend to get our flying to last longer primarily, but always there for a special need. Boosting our weak saves and making sure we can get our spells off when needed.

Be a support player, not a blaster. Help your friends and Birdy out, take a backseat to the action. Birdy is trained to attack and defend just like a normal animal companion, and thus is a force multiplier.

Sources:
    Spoiler
    Show

Comp Adventurer: Force of Personality
    Comp Arcane: Communicator, Sudden Extend
    Comp Divine: Shugenga, Seeker of the Misty Isle
    DMG2: Apprentice Feat
    MM3: Kenku
    PHB: Feats
    PHB 3.0: Animal Friendship spell
    RoD: Smatterings
    RoS: Steady Concentration

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Default Huang Lu She

WATER! (By which I mean more Air!)

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Lu She
    Huang Lu She
    (False Green Serpent)

Once upon a time, Huang was a fairly normal half-elf. His ancestors had mingled their bloodlines with those green dragons,

granting them certain powers and responsibilities. Huang was raised on tales of the forestlords' power, arcane might, and

prestige.

Huang had none of these but was determined to seize his heritage. Through diligenent research into forbidden knowledge,

Huang formulated a ritual he thought was designed to unlock his draconic heritage and sorcerous potential.

He was wrong.

Instead, the ritual brought him to the attention of a spirit of air and darkness. His draconic blood was unlocked, but a

festering darkness was placed inside his body, ravaging it in the process. And instead of arcane power, Huang found himself

bound to the spirit and channeling its divine elemental power instead.

Huang decided power was power, and set forth to make his name.

1st Shugenja 1 +0 +0 +1 +4 (Skill points, ability bonuses, and racial bonuses)
    Concentration (Con) +4, Diplomacy (Cha) +8, Heal (Wis) +6, Hide (Dex) +5, Knowledge (arcana) (Int) +5, Knowledge (religion)

(Int) +5, Listen (Wis) +3, Move Silently (Dex) +1, Search (Int) +2, Spot (Wis) +3
    Frail, Vulnerable, Mother Cyst, Dragontouched, Dragonic Heritage (green) Element Focus, Sense Elements (3/day)
    2nd Shugenja 2 +1 +0 +1 +5 (Skill points, ability bonuses, and racial bonuses)
    Concentration (Con) +4, Diplomacy (Cha) +9, Heal (Wis) +6, Hide (Dex) +6, Knowledge (arcana) (Int) +6, Knowledge (religion)

(Int) +6, Listen (Wis) +3, Move Silently (Dex) +2, Search (Int) +2, Spot (Wis) +3
    Frail, Vulnerable, Mother Cyst, Dragontouched, Dragonic Heritage (green) Element Focus, Sense Elements (3/day), Elemental Recognition
    3rd Shugenja 3 +1 +1 +2 +5 (Skill points, ability bonuses, and racial bonuses)
    Concentration (Con) +4, Diplomacy (Cha) +10, Heal (Wis) +6, Hide (Dex) +7, Knowledge (arcana) (Int) +7, Knowledge (religion)

(Int) +10, Listen (Wis) +3, Move Silently (Dex) +3, Search (Int) +2, Spot (Wis) +3
    Frail, Vulnerable, Mother Cyst, Dragontouched, Dragonic Heritage (green), Skill Focus (Knowledge (religion)) Element Focus, Sense Elements (3/day), Elemental Recognition
    4th Shugenja 4 +2 +1 +2 +6 (Skill points, ability bonuses, and racial bonuses)
    Concentration (Con) +4, Diplomacy (Cha) +11, Heal (Wis) +6, Hide (Dex) +8, Knowledge (arcana) (Int) +8, Knowledge (religion)

(Int) +11, Listen (Wis) +3, Move Silently (Dex) +4, Search (Int) +2, Spot (Wis) +3
    Frail, Vulnerable, Mother Cyst, Dragontouched, Dragonic Heritage (green) Element Focus, Sense Elements (3/day), Elemental Recognition
    5th Shugenja 5 +2 +1 +2 +6 (Skill points, ability bonuses, and racial bonuses)
    Concentration (Con) +4, Diplomacy (Cha) +12, Heal (Wis) +6, Hide (Dex) +9, Knowledge (arcana) (Int) +9, Knowledge (religion)

(Int) +12, Listen (Wis) +3, Move Silently (Dex) +5, Search (Int) +2, Spot (Wis) +3
    Frail, Vulnerable, Mother Cyst, Dragontouched, Dragonic Heritage (green) Element Focus, Sense Elements (4/day), Elemental Recognition
    6th Divine Oracle 1 +2 +1 +2 +8 (Skill points, ability bonuses, and racial bonuses)
    Concentration (Con) +4, Diplomacy (Cha) +12, Heal (Wis) +6, Hide (Dex) +9, Intimidate (Cha) +5, Knowledge (arcana) (Int) +10,

Knowledge (religion) (Int) +13, Listen (Wis) +3, Move Silently (Dex) +5, Search (Int) +2, Spot (Wis) +3
    Frail, Vulnerable, Mother Cyst, Dragontouched, Dragonic Heritage (green) Element Focus, Sense Elements (4/day), Elemental Recognition, Oracle Domain, Scry Bonus

LN Forestlord Half-elf (dragontouched) Shugenja 5 (Order of the All Seeing Eye)/Divine Oracle 1
    S-08
    D-12
    C-10
    I-12
    W-14
    Ch-19 (+1 at 4th level)

HP: 30 (6 -6(Frail) +1 (Dragontouched) +(5*3.5, 5 shugenja levels) + 12 (Dragonic Toughness)
    AC: 11, flat-footed 9, touch 11 (+1 Dex, +1 Dragonic Skin, -1 Vulnerable
    Init: +1

(Skill points, ability bonues, and racial bonuses, 5/level/shugenja, 3/level/divine oracle)
    Concentration (Con) +4, Diplomacy (Cha) +12, Heal (Wis) +6, Hide (Dex) +9, Intimidate (Cha) +5, Knowledge (arcana) (Int) +16,

Knowledge (religion) (Int) +19, Listen (Wis) +9, Move Silently (Dex) +5, Search (Int) +8, Spot (Wis) +9

Spoiler: Spells Known
    Show

Level 0th 1st 2nd 3rd
    1 Order - Guidance (air)
    Element - Daze (air), Ghost Sound (air)
    Other - Cure Minor Wounds, Disrupt Undead
    Mother Cyst - N/A
    Draconic Heritage - N/A
    Order - Detect Snares and Pits (air)
    Element - Sleep (air)
    Other - Burning Hands
    Mother Cyst - Necrotic Awareness (evil)
    Draconic Heritage - N/A
    2 Order - Guidance (air)
    Element - Daze (air), Ghost Sound (air), Detect Magic (all)
    Mother Cyst - N/A
    Draconic Heritage - N/A
    Element - Sleep (air)
    Other - Burning Hands
    Draconic Heritage - N/A
    3 Order - Guidance (air)
    Mother Cyst - N/A
    Draconic Heritage - N/A
    Element - Sleep (air), Silent Image (air)
    Other - Burning Hands
    Draconic Heritage - N/A
    4 Order - Guidance (air)
    Other - Cure Minor Wounds, Disrupt Undead, Light
    Mother Cyst - N/A
    Draconic Heritage - N/A
    Other - Burning Hands
    Draconic Heritage - N/A
    Order - Detect Thoughts (air)
    Element - Color Spray (air)
    Other - N/A
    Mother Cyst - Necrotic Cyst (evil), Necrotic Scrying (evil)
    Draconic Heritage - N/A
    5 Order - Guidance (air)
    Element - Daze (air), Ghost Sound (air), Detect Magic (all), Ghost Sound (air)
    Mother Cyst - N/A
    Draconic Heritage - N/A
    Other - Burning Hands, Expeditious Retreat (air)
    Draconic Heritage - N/A
    Draconic Heritage - N/A
    6 Order - Guidance (air)
    Element - Daze (air), Ghost Sound (air), Detect Magic (all), Ghost Sound (air)
    Mother Cyst - N/A
    Draconic Heritage - N/A
    Other - Burning Hands, Expeditious Retreat (air)
    Draconic Heritage - Charm Person
    Draconic Heritage - N/A
    Order - Clairaudience/Clairvoyance (air)
    Other - Divination (Oracle Domain, air)
    Mother Cyst - Necrotic Bloat (evil)
    Draconic Heritage - Plant Growth (non-shugenja)

Spoiler: Flaws
    Show
    From Unearthed Arcana:
    Frail [Flaw]
    You are thin and weak of frame.
    Benefit
    Subtract 1 from the number of hit points you gain at each level. This flaw can reduce the number of hit points you gain to 0

(but not below).
    Special
    You must have a Constitution of 4 or higher to take this flaw.

Vulnerable [Flaw]
    You are not good at defending yourself.
    Benefit
    You take a -1 penalty to Armor Class.

Spoiler: Feats
    Show
    Simple Weapon Proficiency (Player's Handbook)
    [General]
    You understand how to use all types of simple weapons in combat (see Table 7–5: Weapons, page 116, for a list of simple

weapons).
    Benefit: You make attack rolls with simple weapons normally.

Martial Weapon Proficiency (short sword)(Player's Handbook)
    [General]
    Choose a type of martial weapon, such as a longbow (see Table 7–5: Weapons, page 116, for a list of martial weapons). You

understand how to use that type of mar*tial weapon in combat.
    Use this feat to ex*pand the list of weapons with which you are proficient beyond the basic list in your class description.
    Benefit: You make attack rolls with the selected weapon normally.

Mother Cyst (Libris Mortis)
    [General]
    You gain the ability to cast necrotic cyst spells by growing a cyst of your own.
    Prerequisite: Knowledge (religion) 2 ranks, Caster level 1st,
    Benefit: You grow an internal cyst of undead fl esh called a mother cyst. The cyst may be noticeable as a discolored

swelling on your skin, if desired. The mother cyst is slightly painful, but otherwise isn't harmful. The mother cyst grants

you access to a selection of cyst-related spells listed below (and described in Chapter 4 of this book). You cast these

spells like any other spell you can cast, once you host a mother cyst (if you are a caster who prepares spells, you can

prepare all necrotic cyst spells without referring to a spellbook, as if you had the Spell Mastery feat for each such spell).

Necrotic Cyst Spells: 1st--necrotic awareness; 2nd--necrotic cyst, necrotic scrying; 3rd--necrotic bloat.
    Normal
    A creature without this feat cannot cast necrotic cyst spells.

Dragontouched (Dragon Magic)
    [General]
    You have a trace of draconic power, a result of dragons in your ancestry or a spiritual connection between you and the forces

of dragon kind.
    Prerequisite: Cha 11.
    Benefit: You gain the dragonblood subtype. You gain 1 hit point, a +1 bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks, and a +1

bonus on saving throws against paralysis and sleep effects. In addition, you can select draconic feats as if you were a

sorcerer of your character level.

Draconic Heritage (green) (Races of the Dragon)
    [Draconic]
    You have a greater connection with your draconic bloodline than others of your kind.
    Prerequisite: Sorcerer level 1,
    Benefit: You gain the dragonblood subtype. Choose one kind of dragon from the list in the accompanying table. This is your

draconic heritage, which can only be changed by undergoing the Rite of Draconic Affi nity (see page 59). Half-dragons must

choose the same dragon kind as their dragon parent. When you declare your draconic heritage, you gain the skill indicated on

the table as a sorcerer class skill. In addition, you gain a bonus equal to the number of draconic feats you have on saving

throws against magic sleep and paralysis effects, as well as on saves against spells and abilities with a descriptor that

matches the corresponding entry in the accompanying table. (See RoDr p103).
    Dragon Energy
    Kind Type Skill
    Green Acid Move Silently

Skill Focus (religion) (Player's Handbook)
    [General]
    Choose a skill, such as Move Silently. You have a special knack with that skill.
    Benefit: You get a +3 bonus on all checks involving that skill.
    Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new

skill.

Armor Proficiency (light) (Player's Handbook)
    [General]
    You are proficient with light armor (see Table 7–6: Armor and Shields, page 123).
    Benefit: When you wear a type of armor with which you are proficient, the armor check penalty for that armor applies only to

Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, MoveSilently, Pick Pocket, and Tumble checks.
    Normal: A character who is wearing armor with which she is not proficient applies its armor check penalty to attack rolls and

to all skill checks that involve moving, including Ride.

Draconic Knowledge (Dragon Magic)
    [Draconic]
    Your draconic blood lets you access ancient draconic knowledge.
    Prerequisite: Draconic Heritage (DM) , sorcerer level 1st,
    Benefit: You gain a bonus on Knowledge checks equal to the number of draconic feats you have. All Knowledge skills are class

skills for all your classes.

Draconic Senses (Dragon Magic)
    [Draconic]
    Your draconic blood grants you great sensory power.
    Prerequisite: Cha 11, dragonblood subtype.
    Benefit: You gain low-light vision and a bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks equal to the number of draconic feats you

have.
    Special: If you have three or more draconic fears, you also gain darkvision out to 60 feet.
    Normal: If you have four or more draconic fears, you also gain blindsense out to 20 feet.

Draconic Toughness (Races of the Dragon)
    [Draconic]
    Your draconic nature reinforces your body as you embrace your heritage.
    Prerequisite: Draconic Heritage, sorcerer level 1st.
    Benefit: When you take this feat, you gain 2 hit points for each draconic feat you have, including this one. Whenever you

take a new draconic feat, you gain 2 more hit points.

Draconic Legacy (green) (Races of the Dragon)
    [Draconic]
    You have realized greater arcane power through your draconic heritage.
    Prerequisite: Any four draconic feats.
    Benefit: Based on your draconic heritage, add the following spells to your list of spells known.
    Each spell is added at the level that a spellcaster would normally gain it unless otherwise indicated.
    Dragon Bonus
    Kind Spells
    Green 1st-charm person, 3rd-plant growth

Spontaneous Healer (Complete Divine)
    [General]
    Prerequisites: Knowledge (religion) 4 ranks, nonevil alignment, able to cast any cure wounds spell.
    Bene?t: You can use your spellcasting ability to spontaneously cast cure spells (from your class spell list) just as a cleric

can. You may use this ability a total number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modi?er.

Extend Spell (Player's Handbook)
    [Metamagic]
    You can cast spells that last longer than normal.
    Benefit: An extended spell lasts twice as long as normal. A spell with a duration of concentration, instantaneous, or

permanent is not affected by this feat. An extended spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s actual

level.

Transdimensional Spell (Complete Arcane)
    [Metamagic]
    You can cast spells that affect targets lurking in coexistent planes and extradimension al spaces whose entrances fall within

the spell’s area.
    Benefit: A transdimensional spell has its full normal effect on incorporeal creatures, creatures on the Ethereal Plane or the

Plane of Shadow, and creatures within an extradimension al space in the spell’s area. Such creatures include ethereal

creatures, creatures that are blinking or shadow walking, manifested ghosts, and creatures within the extradimension al space

of a rope trick, portable hole, or familiar pocket (see page 106).
    You must be able to perceive a creature to target it with a transdimension al spell, but you do not need to perceive a

creature to catch it in the area of a burst, cone, emanation, or spread.
    A transdimensional spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s actual level.
    Normal: Only force spells and effects can affect ethereal creatures, and no Material Plane attack affects creatures on the

Plane of Shadow or in an enclosed extradimension al space. There is a 50% chance that any spell other than a force effect

fails against an incorporeal creature.

Nonlethal Substitution (fire) (Complete Arcane)
    [Metamagic]
    You can modify an energy spell to deal nonlethal damage.
    Prerequisites: Knowledge (arcana) 5 ranks, any metamagic feat.
    Benefit: Choose one type of energy (acid, cold, electricity, or fire). You can then modify any spell with the chosen

descriptor to deal nonlethal damage instead of normal energy damage. The nonlethal spell works normally in all respects

except the type of damage dealt—for example, a nonlethal fireball has the same range and area, but since it deals nonlethal

damage instead of energy damage, it will not damage objects or set fire to combustibles in the area.
    A nonlethal spell uses a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s normal level.

Draconic Skin(Races of the Dragon)
    [Draconic]
    Your skin takes on a sheen, luster, and hardness related to your draconic ancestor.
    Prerequisite: Draconic Heritage, sorcerer level 1st.
    Benefit: Your natural armor bonus increases by 1.

Versatile Spellcaster (Races of the Dragon)
    [General]
    You can use two lower-level spell slots to cast a spell one level higher.
    Prerequisite: Ability to spontaneously cast spells,
    Benefit: You can use two spell slots of the same level to cast a spell you know that is one level higher. For example, a

sorcerer with this feat can expend two 2nd-level spell slots to cast any 3rd-level spell he knows.

Spoiler: Elemental Focus
    Show
    Element Focus: See Complete Divine.

Spoiler: Sense Elements
    Show
    Sense Elements (Sp): See Complete Divine.

Spoiler: Elemental Recognition
    Show
    From http://archive.wizards.com/default.a.../cwc/20070227x
    Elemental Recognition (Su): Starting at 2nd level, a shugenja can identify creatures with an elemental subtype during an

encounter from any distance. The shugenja gains a +2 bonus on Knowledge (the planes) checks to identify such creature types,

but gains no insight about their special powers or vulnerabilities. See Knowledge on pg. 78 of the Player's Handbook.

Moreover, the shugenja can make these Knowledge (the planes) checks untrained. This bonus increases by +1 for each shugenja

level the character takes after 2nd level.

Spoiler: Oracle Domain
    Show
    Oracle Domain: Upon adopting the divine oracle class, the character gains access to the Oracle

domain, described in Chapter 7: Domains and Spells. The character gains the granted power associated with the domain (+2

caster level for divination spells), and can choose the spells in that domain as her daily domain spells.

Spoiler: Scry Bonus
    Show
    Scry Bonus (Su): A divine oracle adds a +1 sacred bonus to the save DC of all her divination (scrying)

spells.

Spoiler: Miscellaneous Bonuses
    Show
    +1 save vs sleep and paralysis affects (Dragontouched)
    +6 save vs magic sleep and paralysis affects (Dragonic Heritage (green))
    +6 save vs against spells and abilities with an acid descriptor (Dragonic Heritage (green))
    darkvision 60' (Draconic Senses)
    blindsense 20' (Draconic Senses)

Spoiler: Forestlord Half-elf
    Show
    From Dragon Magic:
    Size: Medium.
    Base Speed: 30.
    Class Skills: Hide is a class skill for forestlord half-elves.
    Dragonblood Subtype: Forestlord half-elves are of the dragonblood subtype (see page 4).
    Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, a forestlord half-elf is considered an elf. Forestlord half-elves, for example,

are just as vulnerable to special effects that affect elves as their elf ancestors are, and they can use magic items that are

only usable by elves. (See the Monster Manual for more information about elves, and the Dungeon Master's Guide for more on

magic items.)
    Forestlord Pact: Any forestlord half-elf who attacks or otherwise attempts to harm a green dragon loses her treewalk ability

for 24 hours. During that time, the character also takes a —1 penalty on attack rolls, caster level or manifester level, and

saving throws.
    Immunity: to sleep spells and similar magical effects.
    Low-light Vision: A forestlord half-elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar

conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
    Treewalk (Su): A forestlord half-elf can transport herself between trees in much the same way that dryads and druids can.

Once per day, a forestlord half-elf can enter a tree by touching it as a move action; once inside the tree, she instantly

transports to any other tree within 60 feet. The forestlord half-elf appears in a square adjacent to the second tree at the

beginning of her next turn. When a forestlord half-elf reaches 5 Hit Dice, and for every 5 HD thereafter, she gains one

additional use of this ability per day.
    +1 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks: A half-elf does not have the elf’s ability to notice secret doors simply

by passing near them. Half-elves have keen senses, but not as keen as those of an elf.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

HEART!

Heart? Anyone make Heart? No? Damn. I guess we don't have enough Planeteers. Pollution will continue to reign unchecked until all the animals die. Shame.

I guess it makes sense because the fifth Shugenja element is Void rather than Heart. So, fittingly, Void isn't to be found. It is nothingness.

Anyway, that's all of 'em! Judging should be easy, at least, so go ahead and get to it!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

I had this half-formed idea that'd exploit the Shugenja-exclusive When Two Become One spell.

Spoiler: Spell text
    Show

Necromancy
    Level: Shugenja 3 (Water),
    Components: V, S, DF,
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 round/level (D)

When you cast this spell, your spirit enters the body of your horse (which you must be riding when you cast the spell) and merges with the horse's own.
    Your own body hunkers low on the horse's back and holds on tight for the duration of the spell; it is a part of the body you and your steed share, but not a particularly useful part.
    As a joint creature, you and your mount share all your skills, feats, and abilities.
    You make all checks, saves, and attack rolls using the better base number (yours or your horse's) and the better ability score modifier.
    You retain your own Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma, memory, personality, level and class, alignment, and extraordinary and supernatural abilities.
    You gain your horse's Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, speed, natural armor and weapons, and extraordinary abilities.
    Opponents can attack either your body or your mount's.
    Your body uses the mount's Dexterity bonus to AC, not subject to the maximum Dexterity bonus for your armor type, with your own size modifier, armor bonus, and magical bonuses.
    Your mount's body uses its own Dexterity bonus, size modifier, armor bonus, natural armor bonus, and any magical bonuses derived from items on your body other than armor (such as an amulet of natural armor or ring of protection).
    You and your mount share a pool of hit points equal to your combined total hit points.
    When an opponent hits either your body or your mount's,
    the damage is subtracted from this combined pool.
    Neither you nor your mount becomes disabled or dying until all these combined hit points are exhausted.
    When the spell ends, you divide the hit points remaining in the pool as you choose between you and your mount.

The whole exploit would depend on a very strange reading of the last sentence, as well as the claim that while the rules say you can't heal past your maximum hit points there's nothing saying your current HP can't be higher than your maximum HP.

The idea would be to get the highest HP-animal that still counts as a 'horse' (Wild Cohort shenanigans would be involved), merge with it (creating, say, a pool of 30 horse HP and 42 shugenja HP), and when the spell ended choose to allocate 71 points of it to the shugenja and 1 to the horse.

From there, you'd heal the horse back up with something like a Draconic Aura, and do it all over again to boost your current HP to NI levels. Past that I think I had something in mind with becoming undead to get stun immunity, Reserves of Strength, and Blood Magus, but it ended up getting so ridiculously dependent on an obviously incorrect rules assumption that I decided to drop the idea.
    Have you had enough of unreasonably high LA's and unplayable monsters in 3.5? Then check out the LA-assignment thread! Don't hesitate to give feedback!

Extended signature!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    I had this half-formed idea that'd exploit the Shugenja-exclusive When Two Become One spell.

Spoiler: Spell text
    Show

Necromancy
    Level: Shugenja 3 (Water),
    Components: V, S, DF,
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 round/level (D)

When you cast this spell, your spirit enters the body of your horse (which you must be riding when you cast the spell) and merges with the horse's own.
    Your own body hunkers low on the horse's back and holds on tight for the duration of the spell; it is a part of the body you and your steed share, but not a particularly useful part.
    As a joint creature, you and your mount share all your skills, feats, and abilities.
    You make all checks, saves, and attack rolls using the better base number (yours or your horse's) and the better ability score modifier.
    You retain your own Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma, memory, personality, level and class, alignment, and extraordinary and supernatural abilities.
    You gain your horse's Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, speed, natural armor and weapons, and extraordinary abilities.
    Opponents can attack either your body or your mount's.
    Your body uses the mount's Dexterity bonus to AC, not subject to the maximum Dexterity bonus for your armor type, with your own size modifier, armor bonus, and magical bonuses.
    Your mount's body uses its own Dexterity bonus, size modifier, armor bonus, natural armor bonus, and any magical bonuses derived from items on your body other than armor (such as an amulet of natural armor or ring of protection).
    You and your mount share a pool of hit points equal to your combined total hit points.
    When an opponent hits either your body or your mount's,
    the damage is subtracted from this combined pool.
    Neither you nor your mount becomes disabled or dying until all these combined hit points are exhausted.
    When the spell ends, you divide the hit points remaining in the pool as you choose between you and your mount.

The whole exploit would depend on a very strange reading of the last sentence, as well as the claim that while the rules say you can't heal past your maximum hit points there's nothing saying your current HP can't be higher than your maximum HP.

The idea would be to get the highest HP-animal that still counts as a 'horse' (Wild Cohort shenanigans would be involved), merge with it (creating, say, a pool of 30 horse HP and 42 shugenja HP), and when the spell ended choose to allocate 71 points of it to the shugenja and 1 to the horse.

From there, you'd heal the horse back up with something like a Draconic Aura, and do it all over again to boost your current HP to NI levels. Past that I think I had something in mind with becoming undead to get stun immunity, Reserves of Strength, and Blood Magus, but it ended up getting so ridiculously dependent on an obviously incorrect rules assumption that I decided to drop the idea.
    If you share skills and you take the create infusion feat, you can mount a larger horse with your ride skill and cast again and again...

I was looking at that spell but I couldn't find a way to get it without node store, extra spell, and versatile spellcaster hijinks seeing as how the complete Divine overwrote OA

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: E6 Appetizer Edition (Round VIII)

Would a Titanic (MM2) Pony count as a horse?

Or maybe a Dungeonbred (Dungeonscape) Titanic Warhorse?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Would a Titanic (MM2) Pony count as a horse?

Or maybe a Dungeonbred (Dungeonscape) Titanic Warhorse?
    When I am on a desktop, I will post an optimization thread to see how optimal we can make a horse matryoshka doll using nested when two become one infusions.

20. - Top - End - #80

EvilClericGuy

While I was looking for any expanded material for the shugenja, I found the following spells. There's just not a lot out there, is there?

Complete Divine
    2 - Bewildering Substitution
    2 - Bewildering Visions
    2 - Interfaith Blessing
    5 - Bewildering Mischance

Weapons of Legacy
    3 - Revitalize Legacy, Least (All)
    5 - Revitalize Legacy, Lesser (All)
    9 - Revitalize Legacy, Greater (All)

ETA:
    Dragon Magic
    3 - Wingblast (Air)
    5 - Lord of the Sky (Air)
    Last edited by thorr-kan; 2018-05-07 at 09:03 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    While I was looking for any expanded material for the shugenja, I found the following spells. There's just not a lot out there, is there?

Complete Divine
    2 - Bewildering Substitution
    2 - Bewildering Visions
    2 - Interfaith Blessing
    5 - Bewildering Mischance

Weapons of Legacy
    3 - Revitalize Legacy, Least (All)
    5 - Revitalize Legacy, Lesser (All)
    9 - Revitalize Legacy, Greater (All)
    There's a third level one from Dragon magic that is an air spell I forget what it's called like maybe wings of mist or some crap

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Now that the reveal has passed I can go in the ideas I had that didn't work out. My first was a an earth shugenja/crusader. Probably crusader 4 levels of shugenja crusader. Pick buff spells, leverage charisma synergy, the hit to BAB isn't quite has bad on a ToB class. The d6 hit die hurt however and I really wanted a 3rd crusader level which knock me down to 1st level spells. There was a case of cleric levels would do this Gish better. Favoured soul would probably do that Gish better.

The 2nd idea was an air skills money with a 1level dip in rogue for better skills access and I would grab able learner to imitate a better skill list. But beguiler or bard straight class seems like they would do concept better. My last idea was a fire blaster... Then I saw no sorching Ray and both lighning bolt and fire ball were 4th level spells.. and well that's all folks...

23. - Top - End - #83
    Barbarian in the Playground

HEART!

Heart? Anyone make Heart? No? Damn. I guess we don't have enough Planeteers. Pollution will continue to reign unchecked until all the animals die. Shame.
    There is still hope! Several options even...

1. I'm sure all the contestants put their heart into those builds.

2. The judges will surely put their heart into their critiques.

3. Even if the above statements were false, we're thankful to Zaq for putting his heart (and soul) into these events.
    Fantabulous Duskblade avatar by linklele, for which I am eternally grateful.
    Previous avatars composed by Nathan, Ivius and Threeshades, for what I am eternally grateful, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Cookie cutter racial cheese aside, we should probably keep an eye on the whole "Dwarf only" bit of the OP. But hey, that's just me. Everyone feel free to throw out more op tricks that are 100% topic irrelevant. :P

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
    DEMONblah blah blah blah Zaq putting his heart and soul blah blah blah blah
    Zaq look out! A DEMON is going to eat your heart and soul!
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by Falontani View Post
    Zaq look out! A DEMON is going to eat your heart and soul!
    *The, technically
    Fantabulous Duskblade avatar by linklele, for which I am eternally grateful.
    Previous avatars composed by Nathan, Ivius and Threeshades, for what I am eternally grateful, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Cookie cutter racial cheese aside, we should probably keep an eye on the whole "Dwarf only" bit of the OP. But hey, that's just me. Everyone feel free to throw out more op tricks that are 100% topic irrelevant. :P

26. - Top - End - #86

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    There's a third level one from Dragon magic that is an air spell I forget what it's called like maybe wings of mist or some crap
    I missed those! And there are TWO!

Dragon Magic
    3 - Wingblast (Air)
    5 - Lord of the Sky (Air)

Original post updated. Much obliged!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

I was honestly genuinely shocked not to see a When Two Become One build. It's so goofy (and yet so unique) that it seems like we're just crying out for it. Was that just Vizzini making everyone assume that such a thing would be common? Or is it too hard to optimize around that spell when it's your only 3rd level spell and you have relatively few unambiguous ways of getting a horse other than Wild Cohort?

28. - Top - End - #88

NinjaGuy

I personally found the shugenga itself so uninspiring that I didn't even get around to the spell list. I'm honestly impressed with what people came up with, as I had literally zero ideas, and these submissions were actually very interesting.

That said, I suspect that those who found Two Become One were of the opinion that to really do anything with it requires more than 6 levels. From the small amount of discussion that's happened in the separate thread on the topic there certainly seems to be interest in the spell, so maybe they simply didn't have the time.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

I had two builds that I was considering.

Idea 1: Stoneshape heads up basilisk

Earth shugenjas get stone shape as a third level spell. If you take totemist 2, shape soulmeld (soulspark familiar), share soulmeld, and the heads up feat from dragon compendium, as well as versatile spell caster and node store, you can access 3rd level spells with only 4 levels of shugenja.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

You shape basilisk mask to your totem chakra and share it with your soulspark familiar. This gives your soulspark a gaze attack. You then kill your soulspark and cut off its head and carry it around. You can then use your basilisk mask as a standard action by using your soulspark's corpse as the gazer. if you can find a way to quicken your stoneshape (glyph of warding queued onto petrified critters?) you can turn your opponent to stone and then shape that stone into a different thing alltogether. What happens when you unpetrify if youve been stoneshaped into a swarm of snails or something? I don't know. but it sure sounds horrific. This build only takes like 8 epic feats to complete!

Idea 2: Add spells known to the list to become awesome
    There are two feats that are amazing on a shugenja. Both require being a dwarf (or changeling from forgotten realms with racial emulation) and the magical training feat from Player's guide to Faerun in order to technically be a spontaneous arcane caster:

Shield Dwarf Warder (Races of Faerun, p. 168) Prerequisite: Shield dwarf,

Benefit: You gain +1 caster level when casting a spell that creates or enhances a suit of armor or a shield. The tradition of shield dwarf warders includes the following spells at the appropriate levels: 1st--entropic shield, mage armor, shield, shield of faith; 2nd--shield other; 3rd--magic vestment; and more! Other spells gain this benefit if they target a suit of armor or shield. Additionally, any magic armor or shield you create costs 5% less gold pieces to make. The experience point cost is unaffected.

Gold Dwarf Dweomersmith (Races of Faerun, p. 163) Prerequisite: Gold dwarf,

Benefit: You gain +1 caster level when casting a spell that creates a weapon or enhances an existing one. This bonus caster level allows you to exceed the normal maximum effect allowed by a spell. The tradition of gold dwarf dweomersmiths includes the following spells at each level: 1st--bless weapon, magic stone, magic weapon, shillelagh; 2nd--flame blade, Melf's acid arrow, spiritual weapon; 3rd--flame arrow, keen edge; Other spells gain this benefit if they target a weapon. Additionally, any magic weapons you fashion cost 5% less in gold pieces to make. The experience point cost is unaffected.

The gold dwarf is better for buffing, especially with the weapon of elements line of spells, whereas the shield dwarf warder actually helps the shugenjas' terrible AC problems.

From there you can throw on one of the bloodline feats from dragon compendium: Here are the best 3 in my opinion

Earth bloodline is a great choice:
    1st—Enlarge person
    2nd—Shatter
    3rd—Keen edge

So is air bloodline:
    1st—Obscuring mist
    2nd—Gust of wind
    3rd—Wind wall

anarchic bloodline is solid
    1st—Color spray
    2nd—Tasha's hideous laughter
    3rd—Rage

there are two initiate feats that a shugenja can get into with no problem.

Initiate of shar Prerequisite Able to cast 1st-level divine spells, patron deity Shar
    1: Disguise self
    3: crushing despair: pairs well with anarchic bloodline.

If you are a racial emulation changeling you can instead take:
    initiate of gruumsh: Prerequisite ability to cast 2nd-level divine spells, Orc or half-orc, patron deity Gruumsh,
    2nd Battle Line:
    3rd Bloodspear: Pairs well with gold dwarf dweomersmith

Next, if you can mix realms and eberron, you can add a little more versatility with druid sect feats, although these are added to your "druid spell list" or your "ranger spell list" and may not be applicable under a strict RAW interpretation, even if you can take the feat: You probably can't collect more than one of these, so gatekeeper is the best in my opinion.

Gatekeeper initiate: Prerequisite: Ability to spontaneously cast summon nature's ally,
    1st level: protection from evil.
    2nd level: zone of natural purity.
    3rd level: dimensional anchor.

Warden initiate: Prerequisite: Ability to spontaneously cast summon nature's ally,1st level: protection from evil.
    2nd level: detect thoughts.
    3rd level: displacement

Greensinger Initiate (Eberron Campaign Setting, p. 54) Prerequisite: Ability to spontaneously cast summon nature's ally,
    1st level: charm person
    2nd level: daze monster.
    3rd level: displacement.

And thus you could have up to a bonus of up to 6 spells known at first level, 4-5 at second, and 4-5 third. But it's a lot of work to tie all of that chaos together.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Idea 1: Stoneshape heads up basilisk

Earth shugenjas get stone shape as a third level spell. If you take totemist 2, shape soulmeld (soulspark familiar), share soulmeld, and the heads up feat from dragon compendium, as well as versatile spell caster and node store, you can access 3rd level spells with only 4 levels of shugenja.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

You shape basilisk mask to your totem chakra and share it with your soulspark familiar. This gives your soulspark a gaze attack. You then kill your soulspark and cut off its head and carry it around. You can then use your basilisk mask as a standard action by using your soulspark's corpse as the gazer. if you can find a way to quicken your stoneshape (glyph of warding queued onto petrified critters?) you can turn your opponent to stone and then shape that stone into a different thing alltogether. What happens when you unpetrify if youve been stoneshaped into a swarm of snails or something? I don't know. but it sure sounds horrific. This build only takes like 8 epic feats to complete!
    Interesting idea, but a couple problems with this. First, soulspark "familiar" apparently doesn't count as a familiar for the purposes of the Share Soulmeld feat (which I think is complete monkeysnot, it says friggin' "familiar" in the stinkin' name). Second, soulsparks don't have a head, so you'd probably have to polymorph it first.

I think this would work with any standard animal companion or familiar, though (that has a head). Heads Up doesn't have any language about discerning whether or not the creature killed had an innate gaze ability or had it via some other (temporary) effect.

Huh... repeatedly killing your own familiar... that sounds vaguely... familiar.