New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Default What Does Open Game License Mean

Does Open Game License Mean I can create my own content with a given setting and distribute/sell it legally?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: What Does Open Game License Mean

Almost certainly not.

The "Open Gaming License" means that the book contains some portion of "Open Game Content" which you can legally reproduce as long as you follow the terms of the license, which almost always includes not using material from the book that isn't designated Open Game Content, even when it would otherwise be legal to reproduce.

You need to read the Open Gaming License for yourself, and then if you are not 100% certain you understand it, you need to consult a contract lawyer before you publish anything.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by FaerieGodfather View Post
    Almost certainly not.

The "Open Gaming License" means that the book contains some portion of "Open Game Content" which you can legally reproduce as long as you follow the terms of the license, which almost always includes not using material from the book that isn't designated Open Game Content, even when it would otherwise be legal to reproduce.

You need to read the Open Gaming License for yourself, and then if you are not 100% certain you understand it, you need to consult a contract lawyer before you publish anything.
    Okay. Thanks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

You should read this article. It is a great place to get familiar with the basics of using the OGL to publish content.

http://theangrygm.com/save-vs-lawsui...sh-dd-content/
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Some play RPG's like chess, some like charades.

Everyone has their own jam.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

"If I get too many childish knob-goblins trying to argue about what should be legal, I'm going to close the comments."

"Comments are closed."

God, if that doesn't just about sum up the entire gaming community...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pleh View Post
    You should read this article. It is a great place to get familiar with the basics of using the OGL to publish content.

That was more informative than I was expecting. Didn't know he had written anything about it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pleh View Post

Wow, that DMsGuild requirement in the link through the link is something I highly dislike. I mean, I kind of get it, but it essentially cuts the options of somebody who wants an officially branded 5e product to 'not good'.

On the angry article itself, probably the best description of why copyright being a thing is good that I've ever seen, and decent description of the OGL (which, I should point out, has been picked up by non-D&D games as well, Fate offers a choice of using OGL or a Creative Commons Attribution licence).

On game licences, I personally prefer CC ones, but that's because I'm a big supporter of their goal. I'm personally thinking of developing a setting I have into a Fate product via Creative Commons and have been casually looking at CC licences to go with, I decided to go with it over OGL because it's more permissive and allows me to make my product viral. Sure, I have to acknowledge Evil Hat thrice (once for the Fate SRD because I'm going to end up using some of the stuff there, once for the Fate Core font, and once for the Powered by Fate logo), but that's only fair game as I'll be using three of their things.

Uh, sorry for the praising of CC there, I just thought I should bring up that if you're not looking at D&D CC seems to be a relatively common choice and has a range of options available (for example Eclipse Phase uses a CC BY-NC-SA licence, which essentially means you need to credit the original creators, not use their work for commercial purposes, and release derivative products under a CC BY-NC-SA licence), so it's somewhat important to understand. The more restrictive ones are at the level of the OGL, but they serve a different purpose.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Wonder: As a legal topic, the Open Game License is inappropriate for these forums.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.