New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Valin View Post
    "Err.. You're the Relic Knights, correct?"
    Lehasti eyes the simple figure appraisingly, almost suspiciously. She blinks slowly, and when they reopen her eyes give off a golden shimmer as she scrutinizes the tiny woman before her. Relaxing almost imperceptibly, the paladin answers, "At your service. And you must be Tabiry...?"

Accepting the proffered invitation, Lehasti steps across the threshold, briefly scanning the rooms which present themselves, before beckoning the rest of the party to follow. Azkin helps to walk Sabef into the humble-seeming home, guiding him to a spot near Turi, where likewise the young cleric seats himself before accepting a refreshment from their host and gingerly sniffing at its delicate scent before breathing it in more deeply, his momentary suspicions seemingly abated. Lehasti, on the other hand, accepts a mug without comment, but makes no apparent effort to familiarize herself with its contents; instead continuing to scrutinize the environs, her eyes casting about.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    ”I, too, would like to know where and. Sunset has gone. She was going to share some information with us...”
    "Yes, well. I sent her away."
    Lehasti's eyes narrow in a flash of anger that seems to go unnoticed by their host, and indeed, the party at large.
    "Sunset wasn't happy about it. She's told me she doesn't think you trust her, and this will make it worse. I can understand that. But I can see the other side of this situation. While she's important to me, to you she's just a cult member who pled for her life. I'm not sure I trust you with her. You're a tight knit group. She'd be the expendable one. Someone that wouldn't weigh on you if she got killed."
    Lehasti's eyes narrow, but she says nothing as their host continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    "Sunset said she was gonna 'start talking from the top.' I guess we should ask you to do that, now?"
    "A moment, Turi-" the paladin interjects suddenly. "You will have to forgive me, but, simply put, I do not trust her, nor do I find myself particularly inclined to trust you, or your judgment in throwing your lot in with one whose heart carries the stain of evil." She eyes their host sternly. "You say she wishes to be trusted! So too do the foulest of frauds and the nastiest knaves, that they may ply their trades undetected."

Setting aside her forgotten tea, the paladin raises her tabard, emblazoned with the flaming ankh of Sarenrae. "Boldly and proudly have I marched, carrying the mark of the Dawnflower as the sign and seal of my calling. The weight of every life- good and evil- that has ended on my watch hangs heavily on my heart. "Sunset", as she chooses to call herself, has cast herself upon our mercy, seeking the protection of my arms against the dark cult that she no longer claims." Releasing her tabard, the paladin continues, "I fear less the weight of life upon my conscience than for these many lives now in my charge." She gestures around the room to the other adventurers.

"She wishes to be trusted? Good, and I wish to be convinced that she is worthy of trust- and that burden seems to have fallen to you. What guarantee can you give that she is not a pawn in a greater scheme to gather us under your roof to be easy prey for an even larger band than that from which she 'saved' us just hours ago?" The paladin's accusation hovers in the suddenly tense air.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Natala al Akmet, Warsighted Oracle

Natala stands quietly as Lehasti voices her opinions. The oracle agreed with the paladin - there was something strange going on here. Had Sunset and Tabiry art them up to turn them over? Or perhaps find the mask? She glanced at the group, who seemed either engrossed I. Their drink, or staring at the plain woman with no small amount of suspicion.

”I don’t think any of us know your friend well enough to say what she would or would not be willing to leave behind. All I know was she promised to tell us more about the cult; but mere minutes after our arrival, you have deemed us a danger and ‘sent her away.’ How much could she have said to warrant that reaction? And if you fear for her, what would you do? No offense, but at first glance she seemed more than capable of handling herself.”

OOC - Something is off - Sense Motive to figure out what is going on (+8 mod)
    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    AC 21 HP 36/57 Init +8 Move 30
    F +5 R +8 W +8
    Weapon: MW longspear (+8, 1d8+3), Ancestral Weapon (+1 magic weapon of choice from pantheon)
    Spells: (Unl) guidance, detect magic, create water, read magic, detect poison, stabilize, mending, ghost sound, mage hand / (3/8) cure light wounds, unseen servant, ray of sickening, divine favor, remove fear, bless, protection vs evil / (1/7) cure moderate wounds, levitate, minor image, spiritual weapon, burst of radiance, lesser restoration, spear of purity / (1/5) cure serious wounds, heroism, searing light, summon monster 3
    Martial flexibility: 3/6; AW: 5/7: Spirit shield: 6/7; Blessings: 1/2
    Key skills: Diplomacy +12; KS History/Religion +9; Sense Motive +8; Spellcraft +8; Heal +5; Linguistics +5; KS All others +4; Craft Weapons +6
    Effect: Spirit Shield (+6 armor; 1 hr); poisoned (-1 Con)
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

"Just that there'd been some tension. She'd told me about the basics in the past - what little she knew of you before tonight. The rest is my interpretation. Or more accurately, my fear."

Fears that, to Tabiry, seem to have been proven regrettably at least somewhat justified. The scholar sighs, "You've every reason to be suspicious. Perhaps this was the wrong choice. But consider it from this aspect." She tilts a hand, indicating the bow a second time. "Sunset didn't want to leave. I made her. This whole encounter was my idea. Thus your idea that I am a pawn does not follow. If there is some deception or trick, I would be the one tricking both her and you. I would be the one sitting here, with no weapons, armor or magic to hide behind, facing off with a group of seasoned adventurers who now think I'm masterminding a threat to their lives or the things they care about. Who would be the first to die, when the trap sprung closed."

It's a great sign of respect, if you think about it that way. The scholar chuckles, before giving Lehasti a more somber look. "I... am not strong enough to want to be in this position. I have no wish to die. I'd rather be sitting alone upstairs, redrafting my thoughts on Nethite influence on early pharaohs." Gods, that sounded nice about now. Tabiry sighs, "I'm here because I care about Sunset's wellbeing. Because I want her safe, and to be with people I trust."

She looks down at her feet beneath the table, muttering. "And... because I want to help you too, if I can. Whatever you want has to be better than the Cult."

Tabiry is silent for a second, before a point occurs to the historian. "Oh! I can offer one brief aspect of proof. Though I don't know how much use it will be to you." She turns, and pulls at the back of her robe - just enough to reveal the nape of her neck and skin between her shoulderblades. Tabiry explains without turning around, "Those devoted to the Forgotten Pharaoh have his cartouche carved upon their back in a sacred rite. It's a sign of loyalty, of willingness to die in the service of the Cult and its promised leader."
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2020-01-26 at 03:03 PM.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Natala taps her teeth with one finger, considering what was said. It seemed this meeting had been pre-arranged, which in and of itself was disconcerting. Did that mean Sunset and Tabiry knew in advance about the ambush? If so, why wait to turn on the cult and risk someone dying instead of just approaching the Relic Knights? What if they instigated the attack? Then it could be they wanted this Mask for themselves. The woman did appear harmless ... but that spoke more to what the hidden dangers might be - it would be ridiculous to presume Tabiry couldn’t handle herself ... or didn’t have back-up.

The real question was why she changed the players involved if the woman was trying to build trust.

”I wonder at your decision to send away your friend. If this is an exercise in garnering trust, why send away the one person who earned a chance to speak, in favor of all this ... theater? You aren’t helping Sunset, but rather creating more suspicion and paranoia. Haven’t the cultists done that enough?

What have you heard of the Knights? If you truly thought they were better than a murderous cult, then perhaps you should treat them as that. Whatever Sunset told you about this group, she should have mentioned Lady Lehasti and her code as well - that is to say, you should know she would give you a chance to plead your case.”

The red-haired prophetess leaned back, silent for the moment in contemplation of the situation.

OOC - figures I’d drop a post while I can
    Show
    F +5 R +8 W +8
    Weapon: MW longspear (+8, 1d8+3), Ancestral Weapon (+1 magic weapon of choice from pantheon)
    Spells: (Unl) guidance, detect magic, create water, read magic, detect poison, stabilize, mending, ghost sound, mage hand / (3/8) cure light wounds, unseen servant, ray of sickening, divine favor, remove fear, bless, protection vs evil / (1/7) cure moderate wounds, levitate, minor image, spiritual weapon, burst of radiance, lesser restoration, spear of purity / (1/5) cure serious wounds, heroism, searing light, summon monster 3
    Key skills: Diplomacy +12; KS History/Religion +9; Sense Motive +8; Spellcraft +8; Heal +5; Linguistics +5; KS All others +4; Craft Weapons +6
    Last edited by Starbin; 2020-01-26 at 03:54 PM.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Azkin - do you have the divine power to prepare and cast another spell today? Colloquially it is often called 'Zone of Truth' and could likely clear up much of the mistrust around the room," Vershab suggests, his eyes closed as he enjoys his drink. Despite his relaxed appearance, it is clear the arcanist has been listening to the discussion, though he has little else to add to the conversation.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Turi listens intently, though it quickly becomes apparent that the bickering isn't all that productive. "Well, for the moment we're all sitting here. And if we don't die in a day or two, the tea wasn't poisoned," he adds, rolling his eyes a hair playfully.

"So can we make with the 'starting from the top?' I don't figure any assurance she can give will be good enough, and without Sunset here I'm not sure I even know how miss Tabiry could give us concrete proof? So let's get on with it, and if her story makes sense, we can decide to act on it or not, later, eh?" He eyes Natala emphatically and Lehasti only slightly less so, hopeful that they'll give the scholar time and benefit of the doubt to at least hear her out.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lehasti watches Tabiry speak with narrowed suspicious eyes... but as the latter continues, her brows soften until her expression more strongly resembles a look of confusion. Blinking through her fatigue from the night's festivities and the somewhat oblique response to her pointed questions, she risks a sidelong glance to her cleric companion. Azkin's response is a nodescript shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Azkin - do you have the divine power to prepare and cast another spell today? Colloquially it is often called 'Zone of Truth' and could likely clear up much of the mistrust around the room."
    Lehasti's eyes widen in surprise, and she turns to Azkin with a questioning expression, answered by a sheepish smile and a curt node. "Well," the paladin begins in a nonchalant voice, "with thanks to Vershab for his piercing insight and dizzying knowledge of magic, both arcane and divine, it seems we have the means at our disposal to settle these concerns. Azkin...?" She gestures at the cleric expectantly.

"Ah, well," he stammers briefly, "It takes... a few minutes. Excuse me..." with an apologetic nod in the general direction of the party, Azkin retreats to a far corner of the room to sit, cross-legged, with his spear laid across his legs. Spreading his arms, palms-upward in a gesture of supplication, he lifts his face as though basking in the light of a freshly-risen sun in prayer.

With a look of mild annoyance, Lehasti turns to face Tabiry. "In the meanwhile, I suggest that we begin, per young master Turi's suggestion at 'the top'." Raising one eyebrow in a questioning manner, the paladin stares expectantly at the scholarly woman.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Natala raises an eyebrow at Turi’s comments, frowning slightly as Lehasti spoke. Once the Paladin has said her piece, all eyes turned back to Tabiry, waiting for her story, as it was. Natala remains silent; it seems the Relic Knights has become more open minded outside the Depository ... and a might more forgiving.

OOC - letting this play out a bit more ...
    Show
    F +5 R +8 W +8

9. - Top - End - #519

I'm going to post a copy of what went on at Mythweavers here, one page at a time. Please wait until I'm done before you resume posting.

Page 1/5

Spoiler: posted by Gwynfrid
    Show
    While exploring the Dark Depository for clues about the Sky Pharaoh, the Relic Knights were joined by a Natala, the Daughter of the Desert, whose quest appeared to be closely related to theirs. On their way out, they were ambushed by the deadly Cult of the Forgotten Pharaoh, a band of masked, arcane and weapon-wielding murderers. The battle might have taken a turn for the worse, were it not for the utterly unexpected appearance of someone who wanted to help them: Sunset, a cultist who apparently had second thoughts about a career in murderous conspiracy and decided to turn coat and ask them for protection from the Cult. Together, they managed to vanquish the cultists, and form the beginning of an alliance on this somewhat shaky basis.

Sunset had saved the life of Sabef, the Relic Knight's city guide in Tephu, who had been captured by the Cult and tortured into revealing the Knights' location. Not wishing to be seen in the streets as daylight started to appear, the group made for Sunset's abode as a temporary refuge away from prying eyes. Sunset explained that she lives with Tabiry, a scholar in the Academy of Scribes. Tabiry welcomed them and seemed prepared to answer their questions. But the unexpected disappearance of Sunset from the scene caused the Relic Knights' to question their trust in these newfound allies. When we resume the course of our story, Tabiry is trying her best to explain...

Spoiler: posted by Inspector Valin
    Show
    Tabiry takes a long, final gulp of tea - her past elegance deserting her briefly. Emptying the mug, she places it down upon the table and takes a deep breath before beginning. "Well, to start with, viewing the cult as a religious organization is... something of a mistake, though I can understand the logic."

"Following the end of Kele****e occupation, there was widespread interest in a rediscovery of Osirion's past. It's most evident in the renewed worship of the old gods, but amidst scholars such as myself, historical societies started to emerge dedicated to the various ancient pharaohs. They study the past, reflect on those who came before and investigate sites erected in such bygone eras." Tabiry sighs, a faraway gleam in her eyes as she warms to this theme. "We live in the shadow of our nation's glory in so many ways - who would not long for the time that the Four Pharaohs of Ascension walked the earth, raising mighty legions of seraphs and wonders in their struggles against the Tekritanin League? Who doesn't want Osirion to recapture the wonder of our ancient days?"

Tabiry drifts away, lost in her own imagination briefly. Little motes of light seem to dance in front of her eyes. Once she returns to reality, she coughs, trying not to blush as she continues. "The followers of the Forgotten Pharaoh are similar to such an organization, but far more driven and immediate. And extremely ruthless." She can't help a slight shudder at that part. "Most members of the group possess some degree of arcane magic, which they attribute to the power of the pharaoh. They view their actions as still serving his interests, and that by doing so they will enable him to return to power over the Ruby Prince, with they his favoured, immortal servants."

The scholar sighs. "It sounds insane. But when set against other pharaohs of history, the concept of the Sky Pharaoh enduring somehow is not to be underestimated. Or perhaps the figures behind the group intend to revive Hakoteph as a figurehead of sorts."

She frowns, pondering the matter. Once again, she's drifting. She needs to stay focused on the Cult, not their background. Practicalities first and foremost. "Most members of the group are integrated into society - they wear masks when conducting business to limit exposure, and use their magic to stage meetings in public spots. Sunset suspects that the leader of the cult in Tephu is a man by the name of Khabekh-shu. They numbered about a dozen until recently, when more cultists arrived from Wati bearing news of a band of adventurers who bore a sacred mask."

At this last point, Tabiry finally permits herself a smile. "Judging by your survival, I take it they didn't fair too well."

Spoiler: posted by Farmerbink
    Show
    As Tabiry begins her commentary, Turi listens attentively over the rim of his still-steaming but mostly untouched tea. He takes several sips, narrowing his eyes as he attempts to follow her scholarly lingo. After setting the historical scene, it's all the youngster can do to keep his eyes open.

When Tabiry betrays her own interests, Turi's wanes in full. Little could be less inspiring for a young urchin, recently thrust into a spotlight of legendary proportions and even more recently revealed to be perhaps the progeny of royalty than a historical reminiscing of bygone glory days. Between that and the events of the evening, fatigue wins the day.

As such, when Tabiry replies jokingly of the groups survival, it takes his brother's quiet cough to stir him into consciousness again. "Hrmm?" he sputters. "What'd I miss?" He glances to Lehasti and Vershab, more for verification that they, at least, were listening, before nodding silently at their unthreatened expressions and lapsing back into sleep.

Spoiler: posted by DarkOne7141981
    Show
    Vershab looks to be about as interested as Turi until the end, when he leans forward, opens his eyes, and asks, "Does the church of Nethys have a hand in this cult? There was a group, the 'Sacrosanct Order of the Blue Feather,' that was part of the original cover-up that removed the Sky Pharaoh from the history books. If the cult is aligned with the church of Nethys, they will be an even more formidable enemy than you have described..."

At the end of his statement the arcanist's frame shudders, exhaustion apparent in his posture. "Tonight - or today, I suppose - I intend to rest inside an extraplanar space. After the ambush and the realization that our previously public approach to things is not safe I don't intend to risk anything more than necessary, even if we come to trust Tabiry," he says, heedless of his rudeness in addressing the woman as if she weren't part of the discussion. Turning back to her, he asks, "Is there a stairwell in this building that could take us to your roof?"

Show
    Tabiry knows well the game of pretending a significant revelation is in fact nothing of consequence. She nods sagely at Verisheb's question, considering the matter. "The Order are unlikely to be involved in the Cult. I can't say that definitively in good conscience, given how little I know about the latter's leadership, but what I've seen of the servants of the Forgotten Pharaoh doesn't align with Nethite thought. While the Order are secretive too, I've heard little bad about them beyond the fact that they are fervent in their quest to preserve knowledge. And who could fault them for that?"

The scholar's patience starts to wane however, as the arcanist starts talking as though she'd already left the room. His second question merits a wave towards the corner in the direction of the stairs upwards, and
    a disapproving glare at the man himself before the scholar turns back to address the party as a whole, following this theme. "Really, it's more likely to be the opposite of an alliance. Hakotep's mob seek artifacts like the mask that the Blue Feather tried to hide. They revere the man the Nethites spent significant effort cast from public recorded history. It might be worth trying to find allies within their number. They are an ancient order, but they still persist."

Spoiler: posted by Starbin
    Show
    Natala listens with interest. Others may offer feigned or real boredom, but the oracle is truly interested. Was she not the Seeress of Ancient Gods and Speaker of the Old Ways? It actually was a bit disheartening to learn of others who yearned for a return to days of old whom she had never heard of. However, it was not unsurprising, given Natala was no prophet of murder and mayhem.

As Vershab began to speak of sleep, Natala still had comments and questions. ”While these people do not serve a god in the traditional way, their fanaticism to a dead ruler, devotion to his tenets, and belief that he grants them power are all elements of almost any religion. Perhaps it is a mistake to not treat them as religious fanatics.

You said the Cult was relatively small but for a recent increase in numbers, and very selective in their activities. How many total came from Wati, and how close are the cells to one another? Do they regularly share information? If so what are the standard methods they rely upon? It seems most, if not all, of the members attacking tonight were locals ... but did ...”

Natala trails off, seemingly frustrated with something. ”I offer no offense, but some of these questions would be better answered by Sunset. If we are offering a modicum of trust and reaching a truce of sorts, can you not call her back? There is little benefit to our efforts to continue this, this ... attempt at middleman interactions. Unless you are protecting someone else?”

Show
    Vershab listens as intently as his fatigued mind can to Tabiry's response, nodding thoughtfully. "Perhaps you are right - their original motives do conflict. I had assumed that both organizations were aligned because they were both hostile to us, but perhaps the enemy of my enemy is not actually my friend...?" he muses. Then with a yawn he steps up and walks to the indicated stairs and exits the room, looking over the stairwell carefully for the best location for his spell.

Upon finding it he returns and announces (interrupting any conversation without apparent concern), "I am about to prepare a safe place to rest. It will last about fourteen hours, so you may continue your discussion for some time and join me sleeping there when done." He then walks back out and casts Rope Trick, extending it with his metamagic rod. Then the arcanist carefully climbs the rope and makes his bedroll out to sleep. He is asleep only moments after his head hits the pillow.
    -----------------------------
    Upon waking he spends several long minutes preparing his spellbook and writing notes of the past day, just in case. If any of his allies are still inside the extra-dimensional space when he is done he quietly slips out, leaving the spell active for its full duration.

After making his way back down the stairs he knocks three times on Tabiry's door and waits for a response.

Show
    When Vershab rises to depart, Turi stirs once more. "Meanin' no disrespect, miss- and my friend Vershab didn't mean any either, though he seems to inspire an awful lot of it... Erm, anyway, I understand this stuff's important, but I'm hardly the brains of this operation, and it seems the brains is content that the details can wait on tomorrow. Thanks for the tea and all, but I'm gonna get some shuteye, myself." The lean boy nods politely over his cup of tea before returning it gently to the table and pushing his chair in. He follows the arcanist to the rope space and curls up with his head on his pack.

Show
    As Natala waits for an answer, two of the others abruptly depart to go find a resting place - first Vershab, in his odd, internally focused manner, and Turi followed, with a little more grace. The desert woman frowns slightly, glancing at Lehasti and her squire (?), then back to Tabiry. She was thoroughly confused at their seemingly unconcerned attitude, especially given both men’s previous predilections towards violent means. We’re they truly tired, or simply plotting to murder the newly joined women in their sleep. Or perhaps this was an opportunity to escape and cloud their trail.

She sighed inwardly. Or perhaps they were simply a cranky, socially inept man and an immature man-cub who couldn’t help themselves. Either way, Natala will wait for an answer to her questions.

Spoiler: posted by JWallyR
    Show
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    ”I offer no offense, but some of these questions would be better answered by Sunset. If we are offering a modicum of trust and reaching a truce of sorts, can you not call her back? There is little benefit to our efforts to continue this, this ... attempt at middleman interactions. Unless you are protecting someone else?”
    Lehasti's eyes shift over to where Azkin seems to be finishing his meditations. "It appears that we are shortly to be in a position to answer those questions ourselves."

As the cleric rises from his prayerful posture, supporting himself with the shaft of his spear, he turns to join the rest of the party assembled. "Are we ready?" begins the young cleric, turning to meet the glances of Lehasti and Vershab in particular. "We will have about five minutes before the spell fades."

Lehasti nods, her face resolute. "What the Dawnflower provides will be sufficient."

Nodding, Azkin turns his face upward, prayerfully intoning, "Oh Cleansing Light, dispel with your radiance the shadows of confusion and falsehood! Let the truth ever prevail!" As a strange warmth settles over the room, he nods toward his mistress, who wastes no time in addressing Tabiry: "Now, then- what are your intentions toward us?" She eyes the woman with a piercing, almost accusatory glare.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-02-22 at 08:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #520

Page 2/5

Show
    Tabiry doesn't comment as two members of the party withdraw, though the sage seems to deflate a little. At Nat's question, she raises a hand. "Wait for the spell. Let's address this all at once." At Azkin's return, the sage closes her eyes, taking a breath to calm herself before starting to provide the group with answers vetted by Sarenrae's magic.

Now, then- what are your intentions toward us?

"To try and help you stop the Cult of the Forgotten Pharaoh."

How can you be certain that Sunset is being honest with us?

"I know her intimately, I understand her thought process and am certain in my appraisal of her character."

How many total came from Wati, and how close are the cells to one another? Do they regularly share information? If so what are the standard methods they rely upon?

"Eight or so from Wati, I believe. This being a secretive cult, how the leadership share information between cells is a question only a member of that leadership could answer."

Have you told us everything relevant about the danger presented by the cult?

"As far as I know. I've made no effort to hide anything - any omission was accidental."

Unless you are protecting someone else?

"No. I am protecting only one person."

Why should we trust Sunset?

Tabiry opens her eyes at this one, looking to Lehasti with a mildly exasperated gaze. "Really? A subjective question?"

"If I had a simple, or easy answer to this, I would not have attempted to stage this meeting. My primary worry was that you have insufficient reason to trust her, and while I'm certain in my appraisal of her character, that's not evidence."

"The best I can ask for is that you should trust my appraisal of her, and thus I am trying to give you reason to trust me. It's far from a perfect solution, but it was the best I could think of. Hence inviting you into my house, with no arms to hand or protection worn. Offering tea. Sharing what information I have freely. Submitting to this spell."

Her irritation starts to fade. Tabiry sighs, sitting back in her chair."If you have further ideas as to how to best accomplish this, I am happy to listen to them. At present, my one remaining suggestion is to offer you my services as a researcher free of charge for as long as you remain in Tephu. If you are still investigating the Cult, and are able to secure access to relevant archives, my help might be of more use than Sunset's."

Have your previous answers in this conversation been truthful and complete, within reason?

"They have been truthful. I have no reason to mislead you against the cult, or see you harmed."

Show
    Natala glances between Tabiry and Lehasti. ”I think you misunderstood my point regarding Sunset. Where is she currently? Also, who were the members of the cult tonight that she knew?”

Show
    "No."

The word is simple, quiet, but laden with chill. Tabiry rises to her feet, glaring daggers at Natala. "I've answered enough. I've confirmed that I bare you no ill will, and seek to stop the Cult. I already gave my reasoning for why I'm reluctant to entrust Sunset to you. And I stand behind my logic. You don't trust me, despite providing you shelter and let you use this magic on me. You have less reason to trust her."

The scribe isn't shouting, but it's clear she's angry now. She returns to her seat with a sigh. "Until Sunset's presence proves necessary for your investigation, as I see it, you can deal with me."

Show
    Lehasti watches Tabiry intently as she answers the barrage of questions, interrupted only by brief glances toward Azkin, whose gaze is likewise fixed on their newest acquaintance. As the answers continue, the paladin's posture and expression slowly, almost imperceptibly, relax until she seems merely to be contemplating a matter of merely academic interest. As the woman lapses into silence, Lehasti glances toward Azkin, who favors his mistress with an unconcerned expression and a small shrug. Seemingly satisfied with their mutual assessment, she turns toward Tabiry, lips parting to speak...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    ”I think you misunderstood my point regarding Sunset. Where is she currently? Also, who were the members of the cult tonight that she knew?”
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inquisitor D View Post
    "No."

"I've answered enough. I've confirmed that I bare you no ill will, and seek to stop the Cult. I already gave my reasoning for why I'm reluctant to entrust Sunset to you. And I stand behind my logic. You don't trust me, despite providing you shelter and let you use this magic on me. You have less reason to trust her.

Until Sunset's presence proves necessary for your investigation, as I see it, you can deal with me."
    Lehasti watches the final salvos of the exchange with arched eyebrows before inserting herself into the conversation once more. "Trust is a fragile thing, earned with great difficulty and shattered with ease, but for the moment you have convinced me to extend it to you, and for now, that will have to do."

The paladin rubs at her weary eyes as she continues, "I think that we are safe in your hands for the moment, and the coming days will provide ample opportunity for your aid to testify to your good intentions. In the meanwhile, please understand that the night's excitement has us all more than a little discomfited, and that what suspicion we offer you is borne not out of ill will but merely an abundance of caution." The paladin gives a weary but genuine and conciliatory smile at their host. "And with that..." the paladin lapses into silence before gesturing to Vershab and moving to follow the wiry scholar towards the proffered accommodations.

Show
    "We could all do with that. All of you, sleep well."

Tabiry escorts the group to their rope hideaway, before going to lock her doors and windows. It's going to be hard to sleep peacefully for what remains of tonight.

Show
    Later that day Vershab wakes inside his extra-dimensional space. As he yawns and stretches he looks around to see several of his allies present and still sleeping. Nodding with some satisfaction he pulls out his spellbook and prepares spells for the day. Then, with that chore complete he slides down the rope, leaving it in place, and walks out to the rooftop. There he uses a cantrip to clean and groom himself before his stomach growls, loudly.

Mumbling to himself he makes his way back down to Tabiry's apartment door, knocking three times and waiting patiently for her to answer. When (if?) she answers, he looks to the middle space between them and says, "I am not good at courtesy or manners but appreciate your patience with me last night. While attempting to get my mind in order to start the day I realized that I was very hungry. I do not want to risk going out into the city alone, especially after the ambush. Do you have anything to eat? Will you need me to pay for it?"

Show
    Natala stands nonplussed for a moment, her eyes cloudy with confusion. But as her desert blood begins to heat up, she starts to stammer a reply when Lehasti steps in and suggests sleep. Closing her mouth with an almost audible click, Natala nods once, bows her head slightly to tabiry, then heads upstairs where Vershab had mentioned a place to sleep safely.

As she joins the group and sits in the darkness, her mind races. First, she is still uncertain what the future holds - so many moving parts and not enough clarity to see the desert for the dunes. Second, these Relic Knights were an odd bunch, and she wasn’t sure she understood them fully. However, they were clearly involved in serious matters of major importance, and for now her destiny lay with them.

Lastly, these two women got under her skin. Sunset was abrasive and Tabiry was not far off. But she couldn’t understand why her questions had angered the seemingly calm and rationale woman so much. Perhaps the day would shed new light on the situation.

Show
    Turi finds himself sleeping perhaps the most soundly that he ever has. He's safe, on a magical level he's only experienced a handful of times, and the lack of urgency which accompanied each of those past experiences leaves him almost uncomfortably comfortable. He only barely stirs when Vershab awakens and begins poring over his little book, and is surprised to register Lehasti, Azkin, and Natala's presences- he apparently slept through the process of all three of them joining him in the space and making their own ways to bed.

He rubs a gritty eye, and rises to a seated position as Vershab departs. With a deep sigh, the youngster stretches, taking every advantage of the opportunity to check his gear. He loosens and refastens each belt and buckle, checking sheathes for proper hang and placement. Feeling unusually rested, he steps out of the extra dimensional space and onto Tabiry's roof.

The bright glare of late-morning, or is it early afternoon already? sun causes the dark-skinned boy to squint painfully at his feet for almost a full minute before his eyes become accustomed to the day. He recalls Vershab's magical efforts to clean him and his feet last night with a chuckle when he realizes that he doesn't even stink. "What a weird day," he mutters, as he begins to go through a few martial forms and stretches. He gets about 30 seconds into his (very brief, by most standards) usual 10-minute ritual before a loud rumbling in his stomach protests his delay on breakfast. "Fine, fine. Let's go," he complains to his organs.

Sauntering to the side of the building, he looks over the edge where Sunset climbed up, in the dark, without the stairs only a few hours prior. "Sheesh," he mutters, turning away after a brief assessment of handholds. "Forget that." Taking to the stairs, he soon finds himself at Tabiry's doorstep. He looks longingly towards the crowds wandering the nearby stalls a hair ruefully before decided that he'd best stay close. He knocks at the woman's door, feeling comically out of place.

Show
    Lehasti finally stirs from the long rest, feeling much recovered from the night's exertions. After stepping over to rouse her young cleric companion with a gentle hand, she extends it to help him to his feet. Gesturing toward the exit of their otherworldly arcane refuge, she leads him out, and the two Sarenites seek out the sun for their daily meditations. The sun, having made much more progress on its course than usual when the two are practicing this discipline, shines somewhat more heavily upon them, but its purifying heat seems to burn away any remaining doubts left over from recent events.

After gathering their gear and supplies, the two make their way down to seek the counsel of Vershab, their resident expert, and to see what sorts of counsel might be forthcoming from the hostess presiding over their current refuge. Waiting until all are gathered, Lehasti clears her throat before addressing the group. "So. What remains of the day wanes quickly, and darkness is our foes' greatest ally; we should not tarry long. Where to?"

Azkin coughs quietly, drawing his mistress's attention to where the cleric lounges, with their young guide Sabef near at hand. With a chuckle at her own absent-mindedness, Lehasti shakes her head. "Forgive my inattention, master Sabef; it seems that my mind is not yet fully recovered from the night's exertions."

Her face growing deeply serious, she continues, "To you we owe a deep debt of gratitude, and also reparation for the harm that we have done by entangling you in the same web we work to unravel. I am loath to repay your aid by making you a prisoner, bound to our company against your will, but I also fear that to release you to your own devices would be to sentence you to further depredations of the dark forces assembled against us. For the time being, would you consent to accompany us? I will guarantee provision for your health and safety, so long as I draw breath, while you do." The paladin watches the boy expectantly, genuine concern clear on her face.

Show
    Natala is outside on the roof when many of the others pass by. She is quiet, her hood pulled up and her clothes plainer than they had been the night before. She ignores the others for the most part, unless offered a greeting, to which she responds with a nod. Once it seems the others are all awake, she touches her medallion under her robes, murmurs a quick prayer and finally joins the others inside.

To Lehasti’s question, Natala opens her mouth, then pauses and stops. She waits for the others to speak first - she is neither a historian nor a scholar.

Note: After that night, the date is now Fireday, Calistril 1. (I assume all months on Golarion have 30 days. Makes life easier.)
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-02-22 at 05:36 PM.

11. - Top - End - #521

Page 3/5

Show
    Tabiry is somewhat tired in the morning - it looks like she hasn't slept well. Her hair is a tangled mess, and seems to sparkle as she emerges from her room. She smiles to Turi and Vershab as she exits her room however. "Good... good morning." She seems a little nervous but sincerely happy to see them. What sleep she's had does seem to have improved her mood.

At Vershab's suggest, Tabiry shakes her head. "No, no. You're my guests. I'll make... something." The offer is genuine, though Tabiry doesn't exactly look enthused at the prospect - more a result of lack of faith in her cooking than irritation with the Knights. She turns to the larder, opening the door and beginning to ponder what to prepare.

Show
    Natala raises her hand politely to indicate she was fine. ”Just something to drink. Perhaps water ... or iced tea if you have it. The perhaps we can talk about how we proceed in this city.”

Show
    Vershab nods at Tabiry's answer. "I..." he begins, until Natala asks for something to drink. "Iced tea? What an interesting idea...I am not fond of hot tea, but perhaps chilled it would be less offensive. In the meantime, however, I am mostly hungry for food. Now, let's see..." he drifts off to look in Tabiry's pantry and see what they have for ingredients.

--------------
    After the meal (which was not made better for Vershab's involvement), Vershab sits back and thinks about Lehasti's question. "We discovered some clues as to where the rest of the Sky Pharaoh's soul is, and that could prove valuable, but we are dealing with a map - figuratively - for which we only have the first and last thirds. Unfortunately, we still need more information. While I could spend weeks on end in research - it is something of a passion of mine - I am sure there are others in our company who are getting tired of spending our days in libraries. We are also running out of places where we can perform this research. Other than the Great Library and the Dark Depository, what other library could we visit here in Tephu?"

Show
    Gratefully accepting any kind of breakfast, Sabef answers Lehasti's probe as sits to listen to the conversation. "Mistress... Lady of the Dawnflower, please forgive me. Too many people wanted to kill me last night. Even... Your... Er... Your friend, here." Lowering his voice, he casts a glance at Vershab. "So... If I may... Before you hear me, first I wish to learn what you're after, and why these people tried to kill you."

Show
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    "So... If I may... Before you hear me, first I wish to learn what you're after, and why these people tried to kill you."
    Lehasti frowns, tight-lipped, in concern at the boy. "I understand your concern, my young friend. Before I answer further- consider that what little forbidden knowledge you found in your possession led to your condition last night: brutalized nigh unto death's door, in mere hopes that you would divulge our dark destination to make so wicked an ambush possible. Even should you resist the worst tortures that are imaginable on this side of the grave, our foes will slay you without a moment's regret, and use dark magic to question your corpse instead." The paladin's expression is grim in keeping with her words, but the concern for their young guide, obvious in her eyes, makes it clear that she is not threatening Sabef, but hoping to impress upon him the seriousness of her warning.

"The burden of this knowledge is one that we have kept close to our hearts, hidden even from those whom we consider friends and allies. I am loath indeed to set it upon your shoulders. Such knowledge will change your life, unavoidably, much as it has set this company on the rough road we now tread. Think carefully before you ask to deepen your entanglement in our cause."

Show
    "Yes... I understand that... Now. But I also understand the safest path for your quest may be to... remove that risk." His eyes are on Vershab as he continues, "So... I don't know what to do." The fear in his eyes is apparent, that of someone who's seeing his entire world crumble under his feet, and any saving hand liable to turn into a killing one at a moment's notice.

Show
    "Yes... I understand that... Now. But I also understand the safest path for your quest may be to... remove that risk." His eyes are on Vershab as he continues, "So... I don't know what to do." The fear in his eyes is apparent, that of someone who's seeing his entire world crumble under his feet, and any saving hand liable to turn into a killing one at a moment's notice.
    Lehasti's eyes follow the boy's glance toward Vershab, and a flicker of... anger? Frustration? passes over the paladin's features before being replaced by a deep weariness. Turning that weary gaze toward Sabef, she gives a wry, wan smile. "I understand your concern. It may be too much to expect your forgiveness, so soon after your ordeal, but I must ask your patience. Tell me," she furrows her brows in apparent thought, "what do you know of your captors? How did they find you, and could you tell if they sent word to their foul allies?"

Without giving him time to respond, the paladin turns to Tabiry. "And what say you to this account? Have we reason to believe that this young man's name or likeness are known beyond those who fell to our blades in the night?"

Show
    Natala, too, notices the boy’s frightened glances towards Vershab. She raised a hand to interject for a moment. ”Before we continue too far in the questioning, perhaps now is a good time to deal with the scorpion on the table. The boy fears for his life, based on threats from Vershab. Sunset feared for her life based on threats made earlier. Tabiry fears for her life based on what she has heard from this group. If we are all to agree that the cult is the true enemy, perhaps we should rectify the situation and withdraw those threats for all parties involved. If there remain major concerns with trust, let us deal with them now, and find a constructive way forward.

Agreed? ”

Show
    Vershab sits up, an expression of surprise on his face. "Threats from me...threats...now when did I...?" he mutters as he furiously thinks through his actions regarding Sabef. "I like Sabef," he finally says, confusion apparent on the scholar's face. "He helped us find that nice inn with the blue alcoholic beverages that were so tasty and has helped us all over Tephu. And you say I threatened him...?"

At the nods of affirmation Vershab grows paler (which is significant considering his already pasty complexion). "This is one of those interpersonal things that I am so bad at handling...let me think..." he says again, this time staring into space. "If Sabef were...well...if he were...how would what I said yesterday be threat? ...Alright that doesn't work...so it must be something that is only frightening to the living...Oh! I think I understand - you mean that when I came up from the well I frightened him because he doesn't want to become, well...um...animated...? Because most children are terrified of such magic and the...things it creates. I see...and an apology will help?"

When Lehasti emphatically nods again, Vershab audibly gulps before turning to Sabef and looking in the space between them intently. Then, with a shake of his head he looks the boy in the eye and says, plainly and clearly, "Sabef, I am very sorry I frightened you. It was unkind. You have been an excellent ally and did not deserve that..."

For a moment it looks like Vershab will have said things in a manner not too unlike normal people...

"...My assumption that you would understand the implications of the choices I gave you was clearly incorrect. That is my fault - let me explain..."

Show
    "-I think that's probably good for now," Turi interjects suddenly. He raises a hand to cut Vershab off, fully expecting the explanation to be more of the miscued threats in perhaps slightly more intellectual garb.

Turning to Sabef, he reminds the group of the issue(s) at hand. "You see, we all mean well for you, buddy. It's bound to be confusing at times, but we wouldn't have brought you here if we didn't care for you. Still, the point remains: what you're asking for is very dangerous information. They hurt you real bad just to get at the surface stuff. This is the foundation. If anyone thinks you know it, well..." He shrugs, not wanting to pile threats upon threats. Still, the conclusion is obvious.

"We'll- well, whether we all agree or not, I'll tell you, if you're sure you want to know." He leaves Sabef to pondering his answer, waiting expectantly, chewing a little half-heartedly on a less-than-inspiring breakfast.

12. - Top - End - #522

Page 4/5

Show
    Sabef listens to it all, displaying a mix of emotions - gratefulness when Lehasti and Natala speak, confusion when Vershab makes an attempt at apologizing, determination when it is Turi's turn.

"I am young, and haven't been traveling far and wide like you, masters and ladies. Still, please don't take me for a child. I know about danger. I have seen very bad things, here in Tephu. I know there are bad people, dangerous people, I met some last night.

But, it is true, I have never imagined I would find myself in a situation like today. I have seen dead people from fights, but not nine in a single night. And the dangers you speak of.. I don't know.

I don't know, as well, how these masked people knew about me, and how much. But they grabbed me just as I left home, so I take it, if there are more of them, they could do it again. That means I have to stay with you, for now.

And... Well... If I'm doomed to perish in some horrible way... Then I'd rather die knowing why, than not."

The decided look in the youngster's eyes meets Lehasti's squarely. This is someone who has made his choice.

Show
    Lehasti meets Sabef's determined look with a resolute expression of her own. "Very well, then." With a deep sigh, she begins... "Do you remember the plague of undeath in Wati?" At the youngster's confused nod, she continues, "The risen dead were disturbed from their peace by a burst of power released from a powerful artifact... one which Vershab now holds for safekeeping. This... mask, holds a portion of the soul of an ancient tyrant who came to be known as the Sky Pharoah, and who these cultists seem to revere almost as a deity. Should the mask be reunited with the other part of his soul and joined to his body... he would once more enter this world, with all his dark power intact."

Grimly, she continues, "We seek to gather the pieces of his dark legacy, chiefly to deny them to these foul cultists and their ilk, for even while scattered, their power remains great. If we cannot destroy them, we will be forced to protect them, for only in so doing will we be able to prevent the Sky Pharoah from revisiting his cruel tyranny upon this world." For a moment, the paladin gives a questioning look toward Vershab, who gives a noncommittal nod. "Those are the broad strokes, at least. And now do you see why these cultists will stoop to any depths, harm any number of innocents, to further these dark ambitions? And should your name remain on their lips, surely they will seek to pry the merest shred of secret knowledge from within your mind, living or dead." The paladin's bronzed skin seems ashen as she describes the depth of their foes' depravity, her troubled gaze drifting toward the floor as she props her forehead up on the gauntleted fingers of her hand.

Raising her gaze to the boy once more, she gives another troubled smile. "Yes, you are young, but I do not treat you as a child; no child could bear the weight of this dark knowledge. Nor will I demand to chain you to our eclectic band against your will. But," she says, her serious gaze fixed on Sabef's face, "The only promise I can make to you, should you deny the protection I offer, is that you will forever feel their dark gazes upon your back, hear malevolent whispers in the night wind, and sleep as one who is hunted, haunted by the knowledge of those who seek to do you harm."

Suddenly her face softens into a plaintive smile. "Please, come with us. There will be danger, yes- but danger is best faced in the company of stalwart friends, whose strong arms and iron wills are wielded to the good of all. And when this present darkness is past, think of the glorious tales you can tell to all who will listen! Glory in which you too, will have a share. What say you?"

Show
    Tabiry has kept largely out of this conversation, seemingly more than a little uncomfortable with it. But she does answer Lehasti when asked. "As Sunset told it, the cult only knew of Sabef because they saw him with you. I'm willing to bet anyone who knows his face died last night. They probably never even know his name."

Show
    Vershab nods as he listens to everyone, apparently satisfied with their summaries of the current state of things. "It would be an excellent thing if Sabef remained unknown to the enemy, both for him and us," he says as he turns in the young man's general direction (again, looking at the space between them, not directly at him). "Sabef, you remain a capable guide and very knowledgeable about Tephu. Let me repeat my question from earlier and direct it at you: are there other libraries in the city that we have not yet visited? During our research we learned of something called 'the Vault of Hidden Wisdom,' which could be found by standing atop the 'Tower of Ra's Glory.' Are either of those names to locations here in town?"

Show
    "Well, yes, of course there are many libraries that you haven't seen yet! Tephu is, after all, famous for two things - reeds, and libraries. And everything in between." The city guide's professional enthusiasm for his subject transpires in Sabef's tone, but he soon remembers the context of the question, and his voice levels down. "There is, of course, several libraries in the Academy of Scribes," - he politely nods towards Tabiry - "there's the astronomical record collection at the Eye of the Heavens, and then the Houses of Order and Wisdom's own trove of documents. Not to mention the Sanctuary of Nethys itself. And naturally, many rich people have their own private libraries. But I'm not sure any of these will be helpful in uncovering dark secrets like you explained to me. None of those libraries is anything like this Dark Depository..."

He pauses to think. "Now, I have to admit, I have never heard of the Vault of Hidden Wisdom. Surely, some even more secret place. The Tower of Ra's Glory, now, is famous. It's here in Tephu, all right. The problem is - well, it collapsed, many years ago. All that's left is ruins."

Show
    Turi snorts at Sabef's final words. "Well that complicates standing atop it. I wonder, how literal were those words? Would we be able to find out prize if we could somehow see from the same vantage, or is there something specifically about this Tower that we should seek?" It's clear from his tone, that he is in well over his head, and only hopeful that Vershab's keen recollection is able to provide insight.

Show
    Leaving the issue in the hands of the experts, Sabef turns to Lehasti again. The youngster apparently didn't take much time to evalute his odds. "Thank you for offering me protection, Lady of the Dawnflower, I am grateful. I would hate to bet against the Lady Tabiry, especially with the wager my own life. If there is a chance these men know my name or my face, however small, it's too much of a risk.

So... I need to hide, or I need to go with you. If you'll allow me, I will do... both. I'll come with you, but I'll try to change my appearance as best I can. I have some skill in the matter. This way, I may throw them off my track, if any of these killers still remains a threat."

Show
    "Alright, then I think I need to see material on the Tower of Ra's Glory - blueprints, artistic renderings, documents describing it, and so on. None of this sort of material would be kept secret, I am sure, so we could return to a more public library to find it, but should strongly consider doing so in disguise..." Vershab says as he looks into space. "Oh! We also need to do something about this..." he opens his pack and carefully pulls out Meret's head, wrapped carefully in cloth so as not to make a mess. "We might be able to get some useful information from her with the spell Speak with Dead, but it is just as likely she will fight us and not give us useful information. Afterwards we need to dispose of it somewhere it won't be easily found. Does anyone have any good ideas? Sabef, where could we go in town to bury or dispose of this ensure it is never found again?"

Show
    "Oh?" Turi wonders at the subtle revelation from Sabef. "That'd be a neat trick- we aughta look into it- though prolly Lehasti wouldn't like it much..." He muses quietly for a moment about the possibility that he could learn some tricks from Sabef with an openly excited expression.

When Vershab begins talking, Turi dutifully (if not excitably) attends him. He starts and almost immediately shudders at the sight of the ex-cultist's literal head. He deliberately casts his gaze to the side before answering, "could prolly burn it 'n stomp it into ash in an alley some night and no one would ever know," Turi grunts irreverently.

Show
    "I can use magic to disguise myself, and could research a spell to allow the same for others," Vershab volunteers. "As for disposing of Meret's head, I wouldn't recommend burning it in the city limits - the smell of burning flesh is very distinctive and could draw unwanted attention. Also, to make the bone brittle enough to crush easily requires great heat and not just a simple bonfire. If we cannot find a mortuary that can cremate it for us, however, we may have little choice...

Also, we will need to sell or dispose of much of the gear we collected from the dead cultists. Perhaps we could use the proceeds to help pay for the necessary gear for disguises...?"

13. - Top - End - #523

Page 5/5

Show
    Lehasti smiles in obvious relief at Sabef's assent. "Thank you, my friend. My sleep will be easier knowing that you are safe with us."

Lehasti doesn't overtly react to the discussion of disguises, but she blanches distinctly at the grisly reminder of the previous night's activities. "If we must question... her? It?" The paladin shakes her head ruefully before continuing, "then let us be quick about it, and quicker still with her disposition. If we fear that others will try to Speak with her... the paladin jerks a thumb across her shoulder toward the heavy flail strapped across her back."

"Now, as to our identities... the Dawnflower is a Goddess of Light- and the light is truth. I will not falsely claim to be someone I am not, nor will I hide that I fight for, and indeed by, Her glory. But," the suddenly stern expression on her face fades somewhat, "I do not believe that I would dishonor my calling were I to conceal my face, for the sake of the greater good. Nor must I give my name to any who ask; to know that I serve Her whose sign I will- indeed, I must- continue to bear. Think ye that sufficient?" The paladin turns to Vershab expectantly.

Show
    Vershab looks at Lehasti and says, "I have no idea if that will be enough...this is the first time I have ever considered disguises necessary for my work. I will take you up on the decision to smash Meret's skull when we are done, though.

Now...what questions shall we ask the dead? Many of the questions you all asked Tabiry could likely be answered - and better - by Meret, if she cooperates. What were the three most urgent questions about the cult that Tabiry was unable to answer for us?"

Show
    Sabef listens with respect as Lehasti exposes the moral limits that her calling places on deception, but he blanches visibly when the severed head is exposed. The heat of the day - it might still be Abadius, but Tephu even in mid-winter remains rather warm - makes things noticeably worse, as the smell is already pervasive.

"Er... I'll go home and fetch my things now. I can take some of the... er... equipment, and arrange for selling it. I'll make my looks different enough, hopefully, so the masked men miss me, if any are still around. Can I meet you here by sunset?"

Show
    With progress made between Sabef and Vershab, Natala visibly relaxes. Leaning back, she listens to the others speak, sipping quietly on her tea. From time to time, she glances at Tabiry, who seems noticeably quiet through all of this. She wonders how if there exists enough trust in the room to tear down those walls yet, and how the woman will notify Sunset to join them again.

Natala nearly chokes on her tea when she looks over and sees Vershab holding the severed head of the lead cultist. Blinking, she set down her drink and wiped her mouth politely. ”A moment before you begin. First, will her spirit remember everything about this? The questions, the questioner, the location? These cultists seem clever; perhaps caution is in order. Second, she was from awaiting, right? Do we feel all of her fellow cultists were killed?

I suggest whoever asks disguise themselves and mask this location. She may be more willing to answer questions from a ‘fellow cultist’ than the Relic Knights. ”

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

Turi listens calmly to Natala's questions and concerns, nodding in agreement as she suggests means to improve their odds of success. "I don't think she ever saw me, anyway. I know I never saw her. If we want to go through wit this, let me know what to ask and get me one of those masks. I'll do my best." He shrugs, still ultimately unsure of all this, but very much sure of the need. "I'll feel better once it's smashed and... it doesn't smell so much in here."

15. - Top - End - #525

NecromancerGuy

Vershab's brow furrows as he considers the unexpected idea of someone else asking the questions. "I have never considered the idea that someone else could ask questions - I am not sure the magic works like that. However, it cannot hurt to try and I will be similarly prepared in case she does not respond to Turi," he says as he takes one of the masks in hand. "As to the rest, well, we are questioning the corpse, not the soul - it can only answer questions Meret knew while alive and does not share knowledge with her spirit. The skull won't see our surroundings either, so I do not think we need to worry about that..."

As Sabef leaves Vershab settles down with the head, holding it towards Turi so that it can still speak as the magic takes hold. He then nods and says, "Three questions...I recommend we ask about the cult - leader, location of meetings, number, resources, etc... After that, we can ask if they are aligned with any other powerful entities here in Wati, like the Haty-a or the church of Nethys. Finally, we can ask for specific plans the cult has.

Are you ready, Turi?
    "

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Turi glances around the room uncertainly, clearly a bit uneasy sitting in the line of fire, as it were. Still, he reaches out and takes the gold funerary mask, settling it over his face almost delicately. He nods once, and leans forward- rising just a little from his seated position. "let's do it."

17. - Top - End - #527

The light in Tabiry's sitting room dims noticeably as Vershab incants the words of necromancy: Trying to force the dead to speak, the defining spell of that school of arcane thought. Meret-Hetef's bloody, disembodied head animates, opening its mouth in a croaking sound, and levitates to hover high above the table it was resting on. It turns on itself several times, and it looks like it glares balefully at each of the companions, one by one.

...Then it suddenly falls on the table with the loud clunk of the jaw snapping shut, and moves no more.

Spoiler
    Show
    The show here is just for flavor. What can I say, I like having fun with that spell

Long story short: the spell failed as Meret-Hetef made her save and refuses to speak. You can't try again for a week.

By the way, if I stick to RAW, only Vershab can ask the questions, but it doesn't matter in this case.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

"I- Mistress! Thanks be, we have been so lost without you!" He begins speaking, unaware that the spell has failed. "The cursed Relic Knights escaped us, and we have become lost in this unfamiliar city. Where would you have us go to meet with our masters?" Despite his best efforts to play the role of the desperate cultist, the skull makes no sounds. He keeps his peace long enough for Vershab to make clear that the spell has failed, before removing the mask with a groan.

"Well that was a bust. Now what?"

19. - Top - End - #529

NecromancerGuy

"I think we let Lehasti smash it," Vershab replies, simply. "It is one of the risks of such magic - sometimes it doesn't work.

We are no worse off for trying, though. Now, I would like to clean up and prepare for another visit to some libraries. Lehasti, would you take this?
    " Vershab gives the head to Lehasti and begins casting the cantrip he has used to clean up before, starting with the table where Meret refused to speak with them and continuing to the inside of his pack and anything else the grissly trophy touched. Then he turns to his notes, carefully annotating and reviewing them as he searches for more meaning in the forbidden knowledge they have already collected.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I think we are waiting for Sabef to return so we can look into the dimensions of the old Tower of Ra's Glory...

20. - Top - End - #530
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lehasti's brows furrow in evident concern for Sabef, but she nods curtly at the resourceful young man. "Take care, my young friend." She smiles reassuringly at him, her gaze lingering on the doorway after he passes from sight before rubbing her forehead wearily between thumb and forefinger.

The paladin sits forward in her seat, impassively watching the process as the foe's skull rises... and unceremoniously clatters to the table. After several seconds (during which Turi's fruitless attempt at subterfuge falls on deaf and dead ears), the paladin's arms begin to relax from their reflexive reach toward the curved blade, still sheathed on her back. With an irritable "Hmmph." she glares her annoyance at the grim, but silent remnant of the cultist leader.

Lehasti gingerly accepts the skull from Vershab; cupping it in two gauntleted fists as though expecting it to suddenly launch itself into the air, the paladin looks for Azkin's gaze, nodding the other toward the back door. The two peer out the door, shielding the skull from the eyes of any potential observers, waiting for a lull in which to seek for a dark, quiet corner in which to usher their cultist foe into eternal silence.

21. - Top - End - #531

A few minutes later, Lehasti and Azkin return, their grim task completed. An hour or two pass in patient waiting, until there's another knock on the door. A young girl, wearing the dress and sandals of a reed harvester, makes an appearance. Seeing the look of puzzlement on the companions' face, she grins: "Fooled ya, didn't I?", and Sabef, in his convincing disguise, steps in.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sabef has been able to sell whatever items the group wanted to get rid of. He also has been able to make purchases for the group, provided no item is over 500gp.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

Turi almost jumps when Sabef reveals himself, his surprise quickly blending with impression. "Woah! You're gonna have ta show me how ya do that! Heck, you make a cute enough girl, in all that getup." He laughs at his own jest for a moment before doubling down, seriously. "No, but really. You're good at it! I never woulda known." As he settles a bit, his nerves subside. He hadn't realized how fidgety he had become in Sabef's absence. Finally, he can really focus on the matters at hand.

"So, how would we go about figuring out a tower that collapsed... how many years ago did you say, Sabef? Anyway, never mind. Might it be valuable to visit the ruins of the tower, even?"

23. - Top - End - #533

NecromancerGuy

"Very nice, Sabef. Now here, put this on underneath somewhere it won't be too obvious but will still provide you with its magical protection," says Vershab as he removes a Cloak of Resistance +1 from his pack. It is clean, but to emphasize this he uses Prestidigitation to clean it again in front of the disguised boy. "It will help you to react faster, resist mental enchantment, and remain healthy in the face of assaults on your constitution," he explains. He then goes over an enormous pile of other gear in some detail, explaining the relative value and magical enchantments on them all.

"We need to sell all of this, discretely but not at a significant loss due to secrecy. I am sure that between all of us we can help to transport items individually or in small groups to ensure nothing is too obvious. Where can we go to get this done?

Oh, and we should stock up on additional magical scrolls, potions, and - if possible - wands. Where is a store that carries such arcane paraphernalia?
    "

Vershab seems content to spend much of the afternoon selling off all of the gear that they have from the late-cultists, but clearly wishes to purchase consumable items (at least) to make up for some they have used. While using his own magic to disguise himself he accompanies Sabef (if allowed) to sell items, questioning the young man about places where they might go to prepare for the next step in their adventure.

24. - Top - End - #534

Quite proud of himself, Sabef is happy to show Turi the contents of his disguise gear - a wig, a reversible dress, some makeup and various devices used for grooming. "I don't have much of a beard yet, so that helps a lot..."

"Thank you, Master Vershab, for taking care of me." It's unclear if the boy will ever be comfortable in Vershab's presence, but he's genuinely appreciative of the effort the scholar put in his protection. "There is still time before evening, I can take you to some of the best magic shops in the medina, if you like." In a moment, the disguise is back up.

"As for the Tower of Ra's Glory, it collapsed a long time ago, long before I was born. Forty years, maybe fifty? I can show you the ruins, sure."

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lehasti interjects, "Surely the shops will be open tomorrow; I am more concerned with the grander picture. If at all possible, we should inspect these ruins, if only briefly, and then discuss how best to proceed."

The paladin turns to their host before asking in a deliberately nonchalant tone, "Do you know if we might expect Sunset to be joining us on this excursion? I know not what sort of other, more pressing concerns might be weighing upon her mind, but we might have great need of her ability to scale walls to get a different perspective on the ruins." The paladin watches Tabiry with a studiously impassive, but expectant, gaze.

26. - Top - End - #536

NecromancerGuy

Vershab stops as he is getting ready to leave, a look of annoyance on his face. "I see no reason not to do both, but am also content to wait for Sunset, if she wishes to attend," he says. "In any case, I have reviewed my notes and feel confident that while flying, invisibly, at the height of the tower when it stood I can triangulate the rough location of the Vault of Hidden Wisdom. If, during the course of our errands, Sabef would lead us nearby, I think that won't take more than a couple of minutes at most. However, we need the height of the spire before its collapse, so either we need someone who knows that bit of trivia or we need to do more commonplace research. So, if you wish to move forward, let us get out to the Great Library, find the needed factoid, and then engage in commerce to rid ourselves of the spoils of our slain foes..."

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

Turi tries (and fails) to mask his hopefulness when Lehasti mentions Sunset as a desirable companion for this venture, blushing slightly. He turns to Tabiry expectantly, only granting Vershab his begrudging attention as the arcanist addresses (at length) their errands.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Natala waits quietly as the others spoke, her knowledge of the situation limited at best. As Lehasti asks after Sunset, Natala turns back to Vershab, murmuring, ”What was the specific language regarding the Tower?”

OOC - Not much to add yet
    Show
    AC 15 HP 57 Init +8 Move 30
    F +5 R +8 W +8
    Spells: (Unl) guidance, detect magic, create water, read magic, detect poison, stabilize, mending, ghost sound, mage hand / (8/8) cure light wounds, unseen servant, ray of sickening, divine favor, remove fear, bless, protection vs evil / (7/7) cure moderate wounds, levitate, minor image, spiritual weapon, burst of radiance, lesser restoration, spear of purity / (5/5) cure serious wounds, heroism, searing light, summon monster 3
    Martial flexibility: 6/6; AW: 7/7: Spirit shield: 7/7; Blessings: 1/2
    Effect:

29. - Top - End - #539

"Sunset will join us when she feels comfortable doing so" is Tabiry's answer, delivered with a wry smile. "You may have noticed she's fond of a surprise appearance."

"Now, Master Vershab, flying at great heights will not serve you much, unless you can do so on midsummer's day, and that day is not coming back for another few months", she adds. "Nevertheless, it is possible to calculate the sun's position with a good degree of precision, even into a future time like this. If we can find out how high the tower stood, and if we're able to perform the correct computations, then we may have our answer."

30. - Top - End - #540
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lehasti does not visibly react to Vershab's commentary regarding the math and research involved, but purses her lips in mild irritation at Tabiry's response. "Will you be joining us, then? I do not care to entangle you in our errands moreso than is necessary, and perhaps we have escaped notice of prying eyes in Sunset's having led us to your door, but I cannot promise to protect you from afar."