New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

Natala's arrows just bounce off the golem's tough outer layer; covered in a greasy slick from Vershab's spell, Turi easily slips away, and finds a weak spot as the perfect target for his weapon. The golem stays standing, but the light in the construct's eyes flicker, the energy it had kept intact for so many centuries finally dying. It seems to hesitate for an instant, as if listening to Azkin's call for divine support resonating across the chamber.

And then the flaming falchion goes down with all the paladin's weight behind it. The golem's head splits in half, and the thing falls, in a heap of ages-old fabric consuming itself in soft lingering flames.

2. - Top - End - #362

NecromancerGuy

"Put out the flames! Save some of its pieces!" cries Vershab as he rushes to the fallen construct, attempting to do as he directs the others. After several moments he looks at what is left, attempting to appraise what is the most valuable portion to consider keeping for further research...

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Knowledge (Arcana) [roll]1d20+15 TYPO - see OoC Thread to identify something that he can keep for later research that is both valuable and likely to fit in his Handy Haversack.

After this is all done the arcanist looks to the other figure in the sarcophagus dispassionately. "Well, we had best get on with it. I will attempt to speak with it first, using the powers of...well...the powers I have been granted. Then, if we need more details Azkin can use some of the magic granted by his goddess."

The arcanist takes a moment to concentrate before kneeling next to the mummified body and ensuring its mouth is clear to respond. Taking out one of his two spellbooks and an inkpen he readies himself to write down the answers as they are spoken. Then he invokes the power of the Mask of the Forgotten Pharaoh (disguised by his Sleeves of Many Garments) to use Speak with Dead on the deceased man.

Show
    If the corpse has an opposing alignment to Vershab's (True Neutral) I am not sure what the DC for the corpse's Will save would be - I assume it is based on the Mask's power, not Vershab's. If it is based on Vershab, then the DC for a third level spell is 18.

In addition, if the corpse has been subjected to this spell within the last week the spell doesn't work...

With eyes glowing faintly of grey, Vershab asks the corpse three questions, waiting for its answer each time and writing down its words precisely. As the scholar speaks his usual tone softens and he seems to speak to the dead in much the way a normal person speaks to the living - more easily and with none of his typical, halting discomfort. (Bolded text is the specific question Vershab asks.)

1. Khnenti, curator of lost knowledge, we seek to protect Osirion from the resurrection of the Sky Pharaoh by an evil cult wishing to do evil in his name. Please tell us what you know of the Sky Pharaoh so that we may prevent this disaster - what did your research reveal of the Sky Pharaoh?
    2. We plan to travel to Azghaad's Spire in Sothis to secure the heart of the Sky Pharaoh, to keep it out of the hands who would misuse it. The Mask has already been secured. We wish to know all you can share about the traps, defenders and the location of the heart. What can you tell us about the hiding place of the heart?
    3. Thank you for your assistance. After this question we will lay your remains to rest with as much honor as we can. Your sacrifice all those years ago will not go unremembered. Do you have any final advice for us?

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Surprised by the sudden insistence in Vershab's voice, Turi is spurred into action- falling onto his hands and knees to beat out the flames still lapping at the golem's wraps. Once nothing remains but the charred edges, he sits back on his heels with a bemused expression. "You can add 'stamping out flames on a fake mummy' to the list of things I never thought I'd do..." he muses with a quite giggle.

Standing back up, he sheathes his blades and inspects the greasy sheen coating his armor. Running his hands along the outside, he makes no effort to hide his confusion and amusement as he struggles to grab his own armor, but his hands come away clean- completely free of any offending sludge. "Magic is so strange," he mutters, before turning his gaze to the arcanist inquiries.

When he states that the mask has already been secured, he tries his best to hide his emotions, and simultaneously glances to Natala to see if she understood the significance of his statement- still not entirely trusting the newcomer.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d20+7)[8] bluff to hide his shock at Vershab's slip(?)
    (1d20+6)[22] to judge if Natala caught it?
    @Starbin, feel free to notice Turi's own shock, and/or decide for yourself if Natala cares to hide her own awareness.

4. - Top - End - #364

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Show
    [roll0] bluff to hide his shock at Vershab's slip(?)
    [roll1] to judge if Natala caught it?
    @Starbin, feel free to notice Turi's own shock, and/or decide for yourself if Natala cares to hide her own awareness.
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Not a slip - just beginning to show a little trust. The way Vershab sees this, she is about to be a joint member in this venture by nature of being around as we research the Sky Pharaoh with a dead guy. If she doesn't want to share the corpse's fate, she should play nice with the party.

5. - Top - End - #365

With his companions' help, Vershab is able to put the fire out. Thinking of future research, he gathers scraps and wrappings that made up the structure of the destroyed golem.

The group then assembles, around the open sarcophagus. When Vershab at last casts his divination spell, the shadows in the chamber seem to grow longer. The torches and other luminaries the group carry struggle to remain alive against the stranglehold of darkness enveloping them all.

When the young arcanist voices his first question, no answer comes forth, for what feels like an eternity. Is the mummified body of Khnenti too ancient, his soul too long gone in Pharasma's Boneyard? Worry and doubt start growing. But suddenly, a movement! The mummy's head jerks to the side a tiny bit - not much, but more than enough to startle the impatient onlookers. The mouth doesn't open, but the eyes briefly flare up, and a sepulchral voice fills the chamber.

"I was called that name... once. I received... that title. Then... they were stripped from me. I had... asked the question you ask. Sought the knowledge you seek."

The dead stops speaking, apparently intent on silence. But Vershab insistently repeats his question. In death, Khnenti seems reluctant to impart secrets to the living, but the spell compels him to answer.

"The Sky Pharaoh... His soul was sundered. His heart... His ib... As well as his ka... His mask... stolen. The ba... remained trapped within the pharaoh's body, in his pyramid. To pass into the afterlife, the three parts of his soul must be rejoined... But.. It is also possible this might even return Hakotep to life."

For the second and third questions, the dead's resistance has ebbed, and he responds readily. "The heart... was hidden... Many secret doors under the Spire of Azghaad. After Hakotep... Djederet. The desecration of Hakotep's body... Was a curse on Osirion. Dejderet wished every word of it... destroyed, forgotten, lost. Every mention of the crime... and of Hakotep too, forbidden."

"Finding the pyramid... Is impossible... I tried to find its architect. Chisisek... Was his name, I sought to find more... The Vault of Hidden Wisdom... Can be found. Learned ones shall cast their eyes... from the summit of the Tower of Ra's Glory, at noon, on midsummer's day."

As he says these last words, all lights in the Depository go out. Darkness is total, oppressive, impenetrable. Quickly, Vershab summons fresh illumination. As their sight returns, the companions see that the mummified body's neck is broken, the head lying down at an impossible angle.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-11-28 at 09:26 AM.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Natala al Akmet, Warsighted Oracle

When the golem falls, Natala stands with bow drawn for a long moment. Vershab shouts for the group to put out the flames, spurring the young boy into action. She looks quizzically upon the scene before finally lowering her bow and letting it disappear. As the bow fades, she cast about for a moment to find her spear, which had made it behind the priest somehow. She picks it up and joins the group around the remaining body.

She is quiet as Vershab questions the long dead spirit, starring in amazement. Here was a soul that walked the earth when the Ancient Ones still spoke to all of Osirion, and not a select few. She reaches down to her medallion and whispers a prayer, thankful for this momentary glimpse back into history.

When the room plunged into darkness that her own eyes cannot penetrate, she reached out as she heard the whispers of the old ones, heralding the spirit to the afterlife. When the light returned, she stood with eyes closed and head bowed, whispering in an ancient tongue. She looks upon the body with reverence before turning back to the others. ”Powerful forces are moving, reaching back through time to bring forth something the world has not seen since the reign of Ra. We must proceed with caution. Do any of you require ministrations?“[/i]

OOC - Adjusted based in GM clarification
    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    AC 21 HP 57 Init +8 Move 30
    F +5 R +8 W +8
    Weapon: MW longspear (+8, 1d8+3), Ancestral Weapon (+1 magic weapon of choice from pantheon)
    Spells: (Unl) guidance, detect magic, create water, read magic, detect poison, stabilize, mending, ghost sound, mage hand / (8/8) cure light wounds, unseen servant, ray of sickening, divine favor, remove fear, bless, protection vs evil / (7/7) cure moderate wounds, levitate, minor image, spiritual weapon, burst of radiance, lesser restoration, spear of purity / (4/5) cure serious wounds, heroism, searing light, summon monster 3
    Martial flexibility: 5/6; AW: 6/7: Spirit shield: 6/7; Blessings: 2/2
    Key skills: Diplomacy +12; KS History/Religion +9; Sense Motive +8; Spellcraft +8; Heal +5; Linguistics +5; KS All others +4; Craft Weapons +6
    Effect: Spirit Shield (+6 armor; 1 hr)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2019-11-28 at 01:59 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Turi blinks several times, willing his eyes to adjust to the radical variation of illumination. He scowls, an apparent (minor) pain for a moment, as if Vershab's new illumination is too bright for him.

"So," he begins, unaware or unconcerned with the state of the corpse. "Rejoining the souls could be... bad-" he raises one finger of his left hand, ticking it off with the index of his right. "Look for secret doors under the Spire of.. Azghaad?-" he ticks the second finger. "Climb the Tower of Ra's Glory in the morning this Summer?" Noting the three things, he turns to Vershab.

"Other than not knowing what this 'Tower' is, and the inevitable presence of guardians under the spire-" he ticks his fourth finger and thumb- "Is that everything?"

Show
    Before we leave, I really want to address the parchment Vershab found in the previous chamber. It referenced a pair of children abandoned to the river, and.... uh.... matters.

8. - Top - End - #368

NecromancerGuy

With solemness and apparent empathy (which he usually lacks) Vershab bows his head and whispers, "Rest in peace now, brother, for we will carry your task to its end."

Sitting back on his legs he rocks forwards and backwards silently, apparently in intense reflection as he considers the dead man's words. A particularly observant watcher will not that beneath his closed eyelids his eyes are rapidly scanning, left to right, over and over, as if he were quickly reading materials he had committed to memory. This continues for several minutes, during which he waves off any attempt to help him stand, murmuring noncommittal sounds to indicate he is alright but not yet ready to rise.

Show
    Lots of knowledge checks need to be made here...starting from the beginning of the corpse's answers...

Knowledge (Religion) (1d20+18)[19] to see if, outside of the boundaries of a major miracle or artifact-level magic it is possible to reunite the three portions of the Sky Pharaoh's soul, and, if possible, would it have a chance of resurrecting Hakotep...

Knowledge (History) (1d20+9)[21] regarding the name "Djederet" and anything Vershab knows or has recently read about him. I presume he is an ancient Pharaoh, perhaps the one who succeeded Hakotep...? Also, if there was a curse or plague that occurred during Djederet's reign.

Knowledge (History) (1d20+9)[21] regarding the name "Chisisek" and where he worked/lived/died/is-buried.

Knowledge (History or Geography, whichever makes more sense) (1d20+9)[16] to remember where one might find the "Vault of Hidden Wisdom." It seems reasonable that it is part of the same series of libraries that the party has already been exploring - do we have any idea where I think might be? If not, do we have any good ideas on how to find it? Is it related to the "Tower of Ra's Glory?" Is this tower in Tephu?

Are we close to midsummer by chance? If not, could a successful Knowledge (Geography) check allow us to look for it by estimating where the sun would be at that specific time?

Meta-gaming here, but I suspect this encounter is meant push us in the direction of the rest of the adventure. Am I missing any other question that needs to be asked to help us get going in the right way?

9. - Top - End - #369

NecromancerGuy

Vershab shakes his head as he opens his eyes and stands. "Well, we know where we are going, even if we don't know the details. Emperor Djederet was the one who reigned after Hakotep and scrubbed the records. There must have been quite the stir back in the day when this happened..." Vershab explains. "We need to either find our original guide or a new one. Does anyone have any good idea where he might be?"

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Turi frowns. "It hasn't really been that long, but he did say there was danger in the knowing- to his informant, himself, and us." Once again, he's prompted to eye Natala with suspicion. "Perhaps we will see him again if we simply return to the Inn of the Desert Winds? It seems... naive, but he told us nothing of his informant, nor where he was going. We have no clues to start trying to find him." He frowns in dejection, shrugging his lithe shoulders.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As the construct falls to the party's combined efforts, Lehasti wipes the dusty sweat from her brow as Azkin rushes to check on his brother. "That looked... like a solid hit! How bad was it?" says the serious-faced young cleric.

Noting the conditions of the party as a whole, Azkin raises his face and palms as though toward the mid-morning sun. As he closes his eyes prayerfully, a burst of comforting warmth washes over the party.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Channeling Positive Energy to heal for: (3d6)[11]

Lehasti watches impassively as Vershab makes his preparations; Azkin grips and re-grips the shaft of his spear, distinctly uncomfortable with the prospect of speaking to the dead, regardless of the terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    "Powerful forces are moving, reaching back through time to bring forth something the world has not seen since the reign of Ra. We must proceed with caution."
    Grimly, Lehasti says "Powerful forces indeed. It may take all the power we can muster to defeat them... but it becomes ever more clear that defeat them we must." The paladin shudders at the unexpected violence done to the corpse by forces unknown. "Everlight grant that this poor man's soul was not done further harm as punishment for his service to us..." she softly says, clenching her fist to her breast.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    "Perhaps we will see him again if we simply return to the Inn of the Desert Winds? It seems... naive, but he told us nothing of his informant, nor where he was going. We have no clues to start trying to find him."
    Lehasti seems crestfallen at the mention of their guide. "I... we may have no choice. If he is wise, he will have gone to ground as deeply as our coin made him able. Perhaps we should seek him where first he found us, but if he does not wish to be found..." the paladin shrugs dejectedly. "Muminofrah seems... an unreliable ally, but perhaps matters of such gravity will elevate her duties above her privileges long enough to prevail upon her for aid. Surely also the haty-a will be concerned with a threat of this magnitude... but I fear that she may be concerned with our methods of gathering this knowledge." The paladin lapses into silence.

"Well... I suppose we should start looking for Sabef, then?" suggests Azkin questioningly.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

12. - Top - End - #372

NecromancerGuy

"If this is rude, forgive me - you all know I can never seem to tell when it is and when it isn't appropriate to say something - but I don't trust either Muminofrah or the Haty-a. The first is too flighty and self-absorbed to see a threat staring her in the face, and the second may well be the threat we face. No...I think we must approach this from the shadows until we find an unequivocal ally who proves themselves first," says Vershab as he begins to walk back toward the exit.

Changing topics abruptly, the scholar turns to Lehasti and asks, "Now, what do you make of the manuscript I found in the other portion of the repository Lehasti? Two children left to the river's mercies? Who would do such a thing?"

13. - Top - End - #373

Azkin interrupts - the first time, since they met, any of the others can remember the youngest member of the group doing that.

"Wait, Master Vershab... Can I have this document, please?"

He takes the torn piece of papyrus from the arcanist's hands. It is indeed out of place among the unfathomably ancient books and scrolls the group has found in the Dark Depository so far: Not very old, and written in the modern tongue.

"Turi! Look! A barrel over the Asp... Two pharaohs, five silver and six copper... That is exactly what Uncle Hannu told us!"

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Now the discussion turns to the answers from the dead researcher and some local personalities ... as well as someone they didn’t identify by name. Now seems the appropriate time to ask some questions. Of course, whether the group trusts her enough to answer truthfully will remain to be seen ...

”I don’t know anything about these two children - how are they connected to all of this? I know of the dark omens, but there is much I do not know. However, it seems I am at risk of having my internal organs liquified and my brains pulled out through my nose, regardless of whether I know why. Therefore, I have some questions.

What do you know of the Sky Pharaoh? Why is he called that, and what true threat does he pose? Was he an evil necromancer, or did he have some other power?

What is the cult you mentioned? I know the followers of Nethys can be possessive of certain knowledge, but who would actively destroy reordered of the past? What crime did this Sky Pharaoh commit to be stricken from the histories?

As I mentioned, I was in Sothis and discovered a priestess named Serethet found something beneath the Spire, but she disappeared afterwards. Perhaps a victim of the cult hiding this information? Or by someone who wants the information?”

OOC - At least a few questions to start ...
    Show
    F +5 R +8 W +8
    Weapon: MW longspear (+8, 1d8+3), Ancestral Weapon (+1 magic weapon of choice from pantheon)
    Spells: (Unl) guidance, detect magic, create water, read magic, detect poison, stabilize, mending, ghost sound, mage hand / (8/8) cure light wounds, unseen servant, ray of sickening, divine favor, remove fear, bless, protection vs evil / (7/7) cure moderate wounds, levitate, minor image, spiritual weapon, burst of radiance, lesser restoration, spear of purity / (4/5) cure serious wounds, heroism, searing light, summon monster 3
    Key skills: Diplomacy +12; KS History/Religion +9; Sense Motive +8; Spellcraft +8; Heal +5; Linguistics +5; KS All others +4; Craft Weapons +6
    Last edited by Starbin; 2019-11-29 at 02:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

”I don’t know anything about these two children - how are they connected to all of this?
    Lehasti turns to eye the cleric quizzically. "It seems that these children are quite well connected to this... what say you, Turi?" She watches the young rogue expectantly.

Show
    For the moment, I'm going to let G handle Azkin's RP.
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2019-11-29 at 05:55 PM.

16. - Top - End - #376

NecromancerGuy

”However, it seems I am at risk of having my internal organs liquified and my brains pulled out through my nose, regardless of whether I know why..."
    "Oh, it's worse than that - most of the occupants of these sarcophagi were mummified alive..." Vershab replies.

”What do you know of the Sky Pharaoh?"
    "We could discuss the Sky Pharaoh at length, but in short he was a very, very powerful magic-using Pharaoh of old who seems to have overreached with his ambitions and underestimated the enemies he made. Hakotep fought against an advanced, ancient culture called the Shory and may have stolen a powerful weapon from them. His reign has been all but wiped out of the historical record but by the accounts we have found the power of his spirit - which was broken into three portions and secreted away across Osirion - was such that it could raise undead en masse. We believe it's power is what caused the recent undead plague in Wati."

”What is the cult you mentioned?"
    "While fightng the undead in Wati we were repeatedly attacked by apparent cultists wearing masks reminiscent of funeral regalia. We have also found references to the Sacrosanct Order of the Blue Feather, a secretive sect of the priesthood of Nethys who opposed the destruction of the records of Hakotep and his reign. I believe they are likely one and the same - it is why I don't trust the Haty-a or any of the rest of the church of Nethys under her control..."

”I was in Sothis and discovered a priestess named Serethet found something beneath the Spire, but she disappeared afterwards. Perhaps a victim of the cult hiding this information? Or by someone who wants the information?”
    "Perhaps - it would fit with everything else we have found so far. Since we are likely to head there next, maybe we will discover her fate..."

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    "That looked... like a solid hit! How bad was it?"
    Spoiler: Turi, current stats
    Show
    Turi
    Male N Human Fighter 1 / URogue 6 (Knife master), Level 7, Init +5, HP 56/73, Speed 30
    AC 22, Touch 16, Flat-footed 17, CMD 21, Fort 8, Ref 11, Will 6, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 5
    +1 Kukri x2 +12 or +10/+10 (1d4+6, 18-20, x2)
    Cold iron dagger +10 (1d4, 19-20, x2)
    Silver dagger +10 (1d4-1, 19-20, x2)
    Trip attempt +16 (assuming +1 kukri)
    Mistmail (mist form- 20% concealment), Amulet of natural armor, Ring of protection (+5 Armor, +5 Dex, +1 Nat, +1 Def)
    Abilities Str 11, Dex 20, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Condition +1 dmg when flanking
    +1 AC (23) vs attack with light blades
    sneak stab: 3d8/3d4
    Endurance, die hard // Resiliency: 1/1
    Vanish: 2/2 (CL 6)
    -2 skill checks after failure
    ignore first 5' of difficult terrain
    poisons, potions
    Escape artist R's edge
    Grease: +10 CMD vs grapple, +10 CMD/Escape artist to break grapple

"Well, that thing hits harder than you," he retorts. When Azkin playfully punches his arm, he winces in mock pain. "though not by much!"

At mention of Muminofrah, Turi's face goes almost comically sour. He looks around the group almost desperately- until the Haty-a is named. His dismay is immediately replaced with an impressive display of hostility. "I don't much care what concerns her- she's as foul as the cultists for all I can tell." He spits in the corner, before realizing the oddness of his actions in a crypt. With an expression of chagrin, he scurries into the hallway. "Let's see if we can find Sabef."

Azkin's sudden interruption takes Turi by surprise as well. As long as he can remember, his younger brother hardly ever stood up for anyone or anything- himself included. It's part of why Turi has taken his charge as the eldest so seriously. There's no telling who would take advantage of his scrawny sibling. He immediately turns his attention to his brother, obviously curious what could have prompted the outburst.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    "Turi! Look! A barrel over the Asp... Two pharaohs, five silver and six copper... That is exactly what Uncle Hannu told us!"
    For several moments, Turi stares blankly, as if trying to pierce the wall or perhaps see something long past. He doesn't even appear to register Natala's questions nor Lehasti's pointed commentary. "I..." As Vershab fills in the oracle, Turi reaches a hand to Azkin, to take the now-offered parchment. He reads slowly, unsurely, but eventually reaches the final words. "Tentamun Masakhet," he breathes, somehow certain that the name was important, though his lack of education betrays him once more. He looks up at Azkin with sudden realization. "You know, that old man wasn't really our Uncle?" At Azkin's surprise, he nods, oddly confident. "I never thought it mattered, really. But this..." he gestures to the parchment. "I think he's talking about us."

18. - Top - End - #378

"He told me to call him Uncle... That was when I started calling him Daddy", Azkin replies, wistfully. "But we knew he had found us in the Asp, so even when I was little, I realized he couldn't be our true uncle. That doesn't matter. He took good care of us... Until..." His voice dies down. The memory must be a painful one for the budding young priest.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-12-01 at 06:56 AM.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

The boys became animated about the news regarding children, leaving Natala confused. She leaned closed to Lehasti and Vershab, murmuring, ”And this has nothin to do with the Sky Pha, yes?””

OOC - Religion - (1d20+9)[27] vs anything on this Order. Local - (1d30+4)[16] for the Tower
    Show
    F +5 R +8 W +8
    [/QUOTE]

20. - Top - End - #380

NecromancerGuy

Vershab shrugs from beneath his robes. "I try not to get too involved in the affairs of other people, at least as long as they are still alive. Things get simpler once they are dead and stop changing things around so much..." he replies, without the slightest hint of sarcasm.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

"I know, I know, but look at this name!" Turi points at the page again. "We have a last name! We could've been..." he lapses into silence, keenly aware of how little else this reveals. "I wonder who he is," he muses. "Or was, maybe," he adds with a small frown. He looks up and grins at Azkin. "Turi Masakhet," he says, quietly. "Azkin Masakhet." Both boys grin widely.

When they return their attention to the adults and the task at hand, it's impossible to miss that Turi stands a little taller, and even little Azkin seems made of just slightly sterner stuff.

"Does anyone have any ideas for finding Sabef? If not, I will ask about for this Vault of Hidden Wisdom, or the Tower of Ra's Glory. Someone has to know."

Show
    (1d20+5)[8] know (local) regarding the tower?

Re: characterization. I'm gonna say that even without knowing their ancestry, simply knowing a little more about who they are, and that they were once part of a legitimate family inspires them to be a little more sure of themselves.

22. - Top - End - #382

NecromancerGuy

Vershab turns to Turi. "You were clearly not listening - I don't tend to pay attention to other people while they are still vigorous and likely to change - it isn't worth the effort when a bit of patience solves their inconsistencies. Besides, you and Sabef had the most in common of all of us. Where would you go to find him? He didn't seem like a thief, but perhaps there is a guild for guides in town? I'm sure I don't know...

In the meantime, we won't find him down here. Would someone like to go up the ladder and see if it is dark enough for us to sneak out of here? If not, I can return to some of the reading I had to skim earlier. At some point we will have to leave the veritable treasure trove of knowledge behind us.
    "

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Turi looks confused by the arcanist's apparent reliance on him, but after a moment nods stoically. "You're right, on both points." He begins walking towards the ladder. "Let me think on it, and I'll look for him in the morning. In the meantime, let's head back up." Without waiting for confirmation, Turi leads the party back to the surface, walking a little taller, and carrying himself a little prouder.

As he approaches the street level, he pauses on the ladder to listen, only proceeding to nudge aside the grate when he's confident that no one lies in wait on the other side.

Show
    Perception, listening only: (1d20+12)[31]

24. - Top - End - #384

The group having agreed to get back to the surface, Turi walks out of the Hall of Lost Curators and engages into the sharply sloped corridor towards the well's shaft.

That's when he hears a barely perceptible, metallic noise.

Spoiler
    Show
    Referring the last map I posted in post #310, Turi is in H9 when he hears something. The noise comes from somewhere in the well ahead of him.

The rest of the group is close behind. in the hall with the sarcophagi of the Lost Curators, area L1 through O5. Light is coming from Vershab's Light spell.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-12-03 at 02:43 PM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

In an instant, Turi's posture transforms. Gone is the youngster, beginning to stretch his wings, and in its place stands a cat burglar, ready to pounce. The change itself is enough to satisfy as warnings to his companions, but he nonetheless extends a hand downward in warning. He melts against the wall, and disappears.

Spoiler: Turi, pre combat?
    Show
    Spoiler: current stats
    Show
    Turi
    Male N Human Fighter 1 / URogue 6 (Knife master), Level 7, Init +5, HP 56/73, Speed 30
    AC 22, Touch 16, Flat-footed 17, CMD 21, Fort 8, Ref 11, Will 6, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 5
    +1 Kukri x2 +12 or +10/+10 (1d4+6, 18-20, x2)
    Cold iron dagger +10 (1d4, 19-20, x2)
    Silver dagger +10 (1d4-1, 19-20, x2)
    Trip attempt +16 (assuming +1 kukri)
    Mistmail (mist form- 20% concealment), Amulet of natural armor, Ring of protection (+5 Armor, +5 Dex, +1 Nat, +1 Def)
    Abilities Str 11, Dex 20, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Condition +1 dmg when flanking
    +1 AC (23) vs attack with light blades
    sneak stab: 3d8/3d4
    Endurance, die hard // Resiliency: 1/1
    Vanish: 1/2 (CL 6)
    -2 skill checks after failure
    ignore first 5' of difficult terrain
    poisons, potions
    Escape artist R's edge

First things first, gonna go ahead and throw vanish. 5 rounds of invisibility starts now.
    Second things second, stealth forward at half speed. I don't know what sort of visibilty would apply? No darkvision, still.
    (1d20+35)[52] (counting +20 for invisibility) Moving to G9, possibly as far as G7, if his perception is that he can move forward safely. Speaking of perception: (1d20+12)[31]

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

At Turi's sudden crouch (and even more sudden disappearance) Lehasti's eyes narrow, her shoulders tensing. She draws her blade and extends it to Azkin, who taps its hilt gingerly while murmuring a soft prayer. As the blade begins to give off a torch-like light, the paladin begins to advance toward Turi's last position...

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Light from Azkin on Lehasti's blade; Lehasti moves to follow Turi, now with the benefit of light. Azkin right on her heels.
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2019-12-03 at 06:05 PM.

27. - Top - End - #387

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Vershab is at J8, looking around the corner. He casts Vanish for round 1/5 invisible.

"Of course I'm right..." Vershab trails off as Turi disappears. Recognizing the effects of a familiar spell he whispers, "He has turned invisible, presumably due to a perceived threat. We should not give away too much of our position by walking forward carrying a torch, Lehasti!"

Then the arcanist takes the opportunity to mimic the young rogue's ability, quickly casting Vanish and disappearing from sight as well.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Natala is quiet during the companions’ exchanges; as a newcomer, she knew nothing about these people aside from what the rumors said. However, when the question is raised about time of day, she shared that it was indeed dark upstairs. She watches the priest unleash a wave of energy, murmuring, ”If any of you need more healing, simply ask.”

As the group moves to depart, she stops cold as the scholar mutters a warning and disappears. She freezes for a moment, peering around the corner with her superior eyesight, searching for signs of whatever startled the group.

OOC - seems pointless but Perception - (1d20+1)[9]
    Show
    F +5 R +8 W +8

29. - Top - End - #389

"Surrender the Mask of the revered Sky Pharaoh. If you do, you shall live. If you do not, this library shall be your tomb."

The voice comes from the well, resonating through the long shaft. That same voice Turi heard on Muminofrah's barge, the same voice that was heard during the fight against the cult of the Forgotten Pharaoh in the Observatory of Truth and Wisdom.

Spoiler
    Show

Light: Based on Vershab and Lehasti's positions, the entire corridor now has normal lighting, and the well has dim lighting. Nobody is visible there.

Reminder: the cross-shaped corridor has a very sharp slope, the low end is at each door and the high end in the center. Every square of the area, except the four at the center, is difficult terrain, and also requires a DC10 acrobatics check whenever someone tries to move or make an attack while standing there. Failing means falling prone and gliding all the way to the bottom of the slope, unless an obstacle stands in the way.

Turi and Vershab are invisible, I have marked that with a dashed border for their icons.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Natala blinks as the voice echoes down from above. She frowns at the threat, confused by the comment regarding the mask. She had meant to ask about the artifact that the group had secured; perhaps they actually had this mask? Regardless of the details, she did not know enough about the situation to speak first.

She wonders as she waits, gripping her spear - did the disembodied voice know she was there as well? How did they know the group was here in the first place? And if they belonged to a cult capable of killing for this knowledge, why did they barter instead of attacking while the group came out?

OOC - Sense motive - (1d20+8)[11] - does this voice sound confident, or like they’re bluffing?
    Show
    F +5 R +8 W +8