New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 47 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

"Yes, I will join you, whether it's a matter of my own safety or because I'm curious, it doesn't matter does it? To tell you the truth, I have another reason - I want to breathe some fresh air, there's a stink of death in this place, keeping a severed head around in the heat will always produce a smell that's not exaclty of flowers. Let's go!" Without further ado, the diminutive scholar takes the group to the streets. The distance isn't great, and finding the collapsed tower is easy. As it happens, the area features a number of laborers: The tower's fallen stone and marble blocks are being removed, to be incorporated into the foundations of a new building under construction. The day is nearing its end, and the workers toil under the still warm rays of the sun, as a group of children are at play nearby, and a small group of elderly men look at the scene, sipping mint tea from a nearby hostelry's terrace.

2. - Top - End - #542

NecromancerGuy

From underneath the turban and facemask he "wears" (an illusion to disguise the Mask) Vershab asks Tabiry, "So...how tall was the Tower when it was still in one piece? I may be able to do the math from here to help find our next library..."

3. - Top - End - #543

"I don't know that, I'm afraid", Tabiry answers.

4. - Top - End - #544

NecromancerGuy

Vershab nods and looks at Tabiry and Sabef. "Which library is most likely to have that information readily available? Let's go there before it is too late and they close," he says, waiting for their response.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lehasti and Azkin do not seem to visibly respond to the conversation between Vershab and Tabiry. From their positions on either end of the small band, they scan the surroundings with casual, if watchful, glances.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Natala al Akmet, Warsighted Oracle

As the group arrived near the fallen Tower and surveyed the scene, Natala murmured to the others, ”We should either keep moving or find a place to sit and chat loudly. Standing and staring will only draw attention.”

Once the group had found a spot to discuss their thought, she asked again, ”What was the specific language you found regarding the Tower? Also, how much do you think the cultists know about our search? They obviously knew of the previous Library ... wouldn’t they know about the same things we seek?”

OOC - asking some questions
    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    AC 15 HP 57 Init +8 Move 30
    F +5 R +8 W +8
    Weapon: MW longspear (+8, 1d8+3), Ancestral Weapon (+1 magic weapon of choice from pantheon)
    Spells: (Unl) guidance, detect magic, create water, read magic, detect poison, stabilize, mending, ghost sound, mage hand / (8/8) cure light wounds, unseen servant, ray of sickening, divine favor, remove fear, bless, protection vs evil / (7/7) cure moderate wounds, levitate, minor image, spiritual weapon, burst of radiance, lesser restoration, spear of purity / (5/5) cure serious wounds, heroism, searing light, summon monster 3
    Martial flexibility: 6/6; AW: 7/7: Spirit shield: 7/7; Blessings: 1/2
    Key skills: Diplomacy +12; KS History/Religion +9; Sense Motive +8; Spellcraft +8; Heal +5; Linguistics +5; KS All others +4; Craft Weapons +6
    Effect:
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

7. - Top - End - #547

NecromancerGuy

"The Vault of Hidden Wisdom can be found - learned ones shall cast their eyes from the summit of the Tower of Ra's Glory, at noon, on midsummer's day," intones Vershab from memory. "That is the directions given us by the corpse of Khnenti, the scholar of old that you witnessed us question yesterday. Once we find the library we can find the architect of the pyramid where we will find the other pieces so we may destroy them. The cultists did not see that discussion, so I am confident we are ahead of them, at least in this one area. If not, it is because they learned of it in some other way..."

8. - Top - End - #548

The group quietly sits at the terrace and takes some refreshments. Other than the group of older men, the place is not very busy, allowing them enough privacy for their conversation.

Then, a slave wearing palace colors comes in, and approaches their table. The young man prostrates himself before them, begging permission to speak.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Turi raises one dark eyebrow, decidedly unsure how to respond. He glances first at Vershab, and stifles a snort, then turns his attention to Lehasti. Then, he turns his attention back to the slave feigning a more complicated social dynamic. "Speak your message. The mistress listens."

10. - Top - End - #550

Still on the ground, the slave proclaims: "Lo! Honored mistress, I am sent to tell you that Her Excellency Muminofrah of Sothis, Fan-Bearer on the Right Side of the King, calls for your and your companions' presence at her side at once. I beg you to follow me as I sweep the dust away from your path to her barge."

Hearing that name, the other customers of the hostelry turn to the group, in awe. "Such an honor... Who are they?" Turi easily overhears that, and similar whispers, all around them.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-03-17 at 09:38 AM.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lehasti's lips part slightly, and her brows furrow somewhat as she considers her response.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    "Speak your message. The mistress listens."
    Unable to resist herself, Lehasti breaks into a broad grin at the young man's unexpectedly theatrical response. Mastering her features and demeanor, the paladin adopts a studiously neutral expression, awaiting the messenger's response.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    "Lo! Honored mistress, I am sent to tell you that Her Excellency Muminofrah of Sothis, Fan-Bearer on the Right Side of the King, calls for your and your companions' presence at her side at once. I beg you to follow me as I sweep the dust away from your path to her barge."
    Lehasti's eyes instantly narrow at Her Excellency's name, brows furrowing in a moment's furious thought. "We are the most humble servants of Her Excellency, and will be most pleased to accompany you to her side," intones the paladin in a formal, measured cadence. Sparing a brief, concerned glance at Turi, the paladin gestures her companions to follow the messenger. Her gaze lingers on Vershab, to whom she gives a warning look and places one finger across her lips in the universal gesture for silence.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

At the mention of Muminofrah, Turi stiffens suddenly. His eyes widen almost imperceptibly as he glances at, and makes eye contact with Lehasti. With a visible (to the canny observer) effort of will, he masters himself and steadies his features. He gives Lehasti only the faintest of nods- the statement of confidence and surety one he certainly doesn't feel.

Still, when the slave begins to lead the way and the whispered wonderings reach his ears, a smirk of cockiness creeps over his features. Unusually confident that he is a significant part of their matron's interest, coupled with the hushed but insistent awe from their observers, Turi stands just a little straighter, and steps in front of Lehasti as if he were a bodyguard of sorts- first into the unknown.

13. - Top - End - #553

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    Her gaze lingers on Vershab, to whom she gives a warning look and places one finger across her lips in the universal gesture for silence.
    Vershab looks confused for a moment, before shrugging and following the rest. He can be heard mumbling to himself as he walks...

Spoiler: Perception DC (of a whisper)
    Show
    "One, one, two, three, five, eight, thirteen, twenty-one, thirty-four..."

(He is performing the Fibonacci sequence, then prime numbers, and then other esoteric mathematical forumalae to distract himself and ensure he doesn't get engaged in discussion that might get the party into trouble.)

14. - Top - End - #554

The group is promptly led to the Palace of Gentle Reeds, where an unusual display greets them: A number of ugly local camels, presently being herded in a hastily constructed enclosure. The slave then takes them to Muminofrah's pleasure barge.

"Oh, oh! Here comes my dear, favorite friend, Lesti! Come dine with me, along with your fellow thespians! I was longing to see you, where have you been? Don't you think this color suits my skin tone?" For this occasion, Muminofrah is dressed in tight lemon-colored silks, and is so visibly delighted to see Lehasti that no attention whatsoever is paid to the fact the the group now has two additional members.

A swarm of servants surrounds them as Muminofrah bids the group to sit on sofas and couches next to her, along with a dozen courtesans. They are served a light repast of bastela, a meat pie made with squab in a savory sauce baked in a sweet pastry shell with almonds, cinnamon, and sugar.

"I was even more keen to see you because see, I had a idea!" The noblewoman's voice rises in excitement. "An entertaining idea, I am sure you'll agree... A race! In chariots!" The noblewoman's entourage immediately engage in a competition of appreciative exclamations all around, and it's impressive how sincere they manage to sound. "This will amuse the locals, always a good idea... And it will be such fun! I convinced the haty-a to call a public holiday tomorrow, so everyone can enjoy the spectacle. I set the course around the city myself! The first chariot to cross the finish line will win a prize, and perhaps even... a special gift!" Muminofrah concludes this description with a leer and a wink at Lehasti. "I will absolutely root for you to win", she adds in a whisper.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

Turi steps onto the barge with well-feigned confidence. He strides forward, and when Muminofrah ignores him in favor of Lehasti, it's almost like a punch to the gut. Prepared as he was to mask his feelings, it's not an obvious shift when the youngster falls easily into his role of false servant. Still, it's subtle, but perhaps... jealousy? flicks around the corners of his eyes?

He makes no effort to join the choruses of approval, though he finds himself wondering what value they could possibly find in satisfying her peculiar amusements.

16. - Top - End - #556

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    They are served a light repast of bastela, a meat pie made with squab in a savory sauce baked in a sweet pastry shell with almonds, cinnamon, and sugar.
    With an audible rumble, Vershab's stomach makes known its interest in the savory and sweet meal being served. "How delicious! I had not realized how hungry I was," he says as he takes his bastela and begins eating. When Muminofrah mentions the haty-a and a chariot race he almost chokes on one bite, coughing and violently spluttering as he tries to catch his breath. After the minor disruption is resolved the arcanist begins thumbing through his spellbook, intent on discovering some tool to assist the party in either escaping from this (mis-)adventure or resolving it victoriously...

"It would be an ideal opportunity for an attack by our enemies, causing a major disruption and threatening countless people, including celebrities...how could we preemptively stop such a disaster? Maybe we should ask Lehasti to inquire about security for Muminofrah, expressing her concern for our patroness' safety...?" Vershab mutters to Natala and Turi quietly. "With some minor effort I could cause all sorts of absurdities during the race to keep Lehasti in the lead - while invisibly flying I could cause horses to bolt in fear, patches of grease to appear, stinking clouds of dust, pits to appear and trap a chariot team, effect Lehasti's team to move faster...the options are nearly endless!"

17. - Top - End - #557
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lehasti accepts their host's welcome with a gracious (if a bit placid) smile, engaging in all of the customary pleasantries with ease, if not precisely enthusiasm. After waving her companions forward to the unusually comfortable accommodations, she steps forward to do the same. Her deliberately pleasant affectation melts somewhat into genuine enthusiasm at the delicious treats provided, and it is with some visible effort that she retains the forms and manners of propriety while nonetheless conquering her portion in what some might consider an impolite hurry.

The paladin hesitates for a moment at Muminofrah's gushing description of the proposed event, managing an appreciative smile. "A spectacle indeed... although, " her brows furrow in apparent consternation, "events that have lately transpired give me some trepidation. I... am loath to burden Your Excellency with the unpleasant details, but the shadowy forces which continue to work against the peaceful reign of the Ruby Prince have begun to strike with greater vigor than in the past. I fear that in my absence from my companions' side, they might choose to strike."

Turning a concerned gaze upon her companions, the paladin's demeanor appears to brighten visibly. "Surely, however, while under the protection of your guard they would be quite safe! Unless..." The paladin's momentarily cheery expression fades into one of concern as the unfinished concern dies in the suddenly quiet air.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Having spent sometime in the morning ensuring they were all disguised, Natala is very surprised to have the group so quickly identified. She leans forward to help the servant rise, urging the young man to speak quietly as she glanced about to see the reactions of those nearby. She blinked at the summons, shaking her head slightly at this inopportune turn of events. However, rather than say anything, Natala simply drifted to the back of the group and let the others lead. Both she and Tabiry were new faces, and it might serve them better to remain out of focus.

Upon arriving at the palace, Natala let her gaze sweep back and forth in awe, but in truth she was watching for anyone paying particular attention to the group. She was walking enough steps back to appear separate from the entourage to the casual observer. She continued to hover just within earshot as they were brought before Muminofrah, listening earnestly as the woman prattled on about a chariot race to distract the people.

When Vershab began to whisper, she whispered back, ”It seems you have been marked by this woman - her servants o ew who to find even with these disguises. If your enemies did not all perish at the well, you are correct - given her public association with the Relic Knights, Lehasti is a vulnerability and an obvious target. From what you have said, this woman will either not understand or not care about the danger this could represent. Better to convince her ego that something other than a chariot race is in order.

If, however, we are forced to participate, do you think achieving victory is a wise course of action? It might be better to arrange another winner ... and perhaps knew darling of the court to attract someone’s attention.”
    Natala nodded to the garish woman, who even now was making eyes at the holy knight.

OOC - a slow response, but hopefully some food for thought
    Show
    F +5 R +8 W +8
    Weapon: +1 longspear (+8, 1d8+4), Ancestral Weapon (+1 magic weapon of choice from pantheon)
    Spells: (Unl) guidance, detect magic, create water, read magic, detect poison, stabilize, mending, ghost sound, mage hand / (8/8) cure light wounds, unseen servant, ray of sickening, divine favor, remove fear, bless, protection vs evil / (7/7) cure moderate wounds, levitate, minor image, spiritual weapon, burst of radiance, lesser restoration, spear of purity / (5/5) cure serious wounds, heroism, searing light, summon monster 3
    Martial flexibility: 6/6; AW: 7/7: Spirit shield: 7/7; Blessings: 2/2
    Key skills: Diplomacy +12; KS History/Religion +9; Sense Motive +8; Spellcraft +8; Heal +5; Linguistics +5; KS All others +4; Craft Weapons +6
    Effect: Slippers (ignore difficult terrain);

19. - Top - End - #559

Muminofrah listens to Lehasti, an arched eyebrow and unhappy pout making clear how boring she finds the paladin's change of subject.

"Again with the tidings of doom! My dear, can't you enjoy the occasion? For the people of the city? For... For me?" A batting of a kohl-covered eyelash underscores the personal aspect of this appeal.

But then, a sudden thought strikes the noblewoman. "Oh! I have an idea that's much better. Why don't all your friends participate, in teams of two? Whatever dark undertaking threatens them, it surely can't be attempted in full sight of your crowd of fans! Yes, yes, that's it! The more participants, the less danger... and the more fun for everyone!"

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

Turi listens silently around a mouthful of meat pie, chewing slowly and deliberately so as to not interfere with his ability to observe. His eyes darken as she suggests that all of the party competes, but he continues to remain silent sheerly out of desperate need for the woman's continued good graces.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lehasti pauses, the veneer of congeniality yielding somewhat to consternation for several heartbeats. Hastily applying an affect of mild weariness, she sighs. "I apologize, your excellency; I am certain that matters mundane and menial bear heavily upon your shoulders already. Perhaps a diversion from such matters would do us all some good."

Giving their host a wan smile, she turns to her companions, a momentarily wide-eyed gaze the only hint at her ongoing frustration. "However, some of my companions are less well-suited for such an endeavor than I. Surely you have other participants in mind? I don't doubt that we could assemble two competent pairs, but Vershab, for instance, is not accustomed to such physical pursuits. And surely it would be unsporting for the odds to favor our little band so strongly!" She chuckles briefly.

"If we are to participate in this event, I must ask that we take our leave, if Her Excellency is willing; we would hate to perform for Her Grace at any less than our best, which demands immediate preparations. Surely the servants can advise us on the particulars of time and place?"

22. - Top - End - #562

NecromancerGuy

Vershab listens to the exchange between Lehasti and Muminofrah with his usual wooden expression. At Lehasti's suggestion that they need to prepare he nods in a way that he hopes is encouraging after doing a brief count of the party and coming up with either five, six, seven, or even eight depending on the inclusion of Sabef, Sunset, and Tabiry. With a shrug he decides to wait to discuss those details until they are out of sight of the fanciful Muminofrah...

23. - Top - End - #563

"The beauty of a race in chariots is that everyone can participate, don't you think? You don't have to run yourself, so this isn't about who's stronger, or taller... Sometimes it's a contest of wits! You versus the animal! Versus the obstacles! Versus the other contestants, too, naturally!", one of the courtesans interjects. "Very true, very true! Spoken like a real competitor! For you will enter, I am sure, dear Raerka?", Muminofrah replies with even greater enthusiasm. "Er, er... Yes... Of course...", the man responds, lamely, obviously regretting his foray at the forefront of the conversation.

Over the course of the next hour, while a great many delicious dishes are served by a swarm of slaves, a number of Muminofrah's court find themselves corralled into pledging their participation. At last, the great lady yawns, and declares the evening over. "I am sure you are all excited and yes, my dear, dear one, you are right, we should all have time to prepare", she says, looking at Lehasti. "Most importantly, I need to think long and hard, what would be the best attire to wear for this momentous occasion! So, unfortunately, while I would looove some more... private time for us to get to know each other better... this will have to wait for another day. Go to rest, my dear, and come ready in the morning with your companions! The eleventh hour will be the start of the race! Don't be late, or you will lose the race and maybe more!" With that, she leaves for her private quarters, and the crowd disembarks the barge to go to their own homes.

As for the Relic Knights, a group of servants and guards escort them back to the Inn of Desert Winds. Their leader, a lieutenant by the name of Unas, explains to Lehasti that Muminofrah noted her concerns about safety, and decided that a group of guards would be dispatched to keep an eye on them overnight.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-03-28 at 07:48 AM.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

Turi finds himself carried along as surely as a reed in the River Sphinx. For a time, he finds a way to enjoy it- after all, there are many less pleasurable pastimes than lounging on a pleasure barge being fed savory bites by eager-to-please slaves. The whole thing is still unbelievably odd to the youngster, so recently nothing more than an urchin and now making (polite and desirable!) company with city leaders and adventurers. -And maybe the long-lost son of nobility, himself!

There are plenty of thoughts and concerns to keep the young man busy and distracted, but he hasn't completely lost sight of the dangers of their position. He recalls the last time they visited Muminofrah and the eerie voice of their would-be assassins aboard the same barge. He doesn't ever really relax, and makes it a point to avoid any alcoholic favors making the rounds. Instead, his mind wonders their plights- both immediate and more over-arching; and his eyes wander the barge- taking in the faces of all Muminofrah's retainers, not quite sure if he hopes for another glimpse of their assailant or not....

On the way to their lodging, he is pleased to be escorted by one of the lady's personal retainers. Surely, no one would be too foolhardy to attack a well-armed party of adventurers accompanied by professional guardsmen! For the first time in several days, he finds himself largely at ease, if a hair apprehensive about the next day's activities...

25. - Top - End - #565

NecromancerGuy

Vershab eats heartily, though he is clearly distracted by considering the options available to him via magic to triumph over the other racers. "Who is likely to be our greatest competitor? I am not at all concerned with winning personally, but think it best if Lehasti does. If someone can drive the chariot I think I can make things very interesting for the rest of the riders..." he says to Natala, between courses. "Would you like to help somehow? If you drive our chariot I am sure we can make things work."

Once back at the inn Vershab finds his paranoia returning. After performing as thorough a search of his room as possible he lets the others know that he will be sleeping in a Rope Trick tonight, in spite of the additional security. "Anyone else who wishes to sleep there is welcome. I see no point in being easily found by either mundane assassins or magical powers."

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

At the inn, Turi falls in with his younger brother, sharing their ideas for tricks to pull during the chariot race. "Let's ride together!" the older suggests- sparing a glance to Lehasti in hopes of her acceptance, at least, if not approval. "Think you could break a wheel with your spear?"

27. - Top - End - #567
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lehasti does her best to maintain a pleasant air as their host continues the festive frivolities, though her answers begin to tend toward vague platitudes and non-specific demurrals in response to whatever questions come her way. In so doing, she manages to blend somewhat into the crowd of courtesans and other hangers-on, though without quite the frequency and intensity of their constant flattery.

As the evening draws to its end, the paladin graciously takes her leave, gesturing her companions to the fore and bowing low to their hostess. She is uncharacteristically quiet on the way back to the Inn, though she thanks Unas with favors him with a snappy salute for the added security.

As the door into their lodgings closes, the pleasant facade dissolves, and the paladin's face suddenly contorts into a mask of enraged frustration! "Preening, pompous PEACOCK," she practically spits the whispered words into the mostly-still room. "PRATTLING about public spectacles while death cults scheme! Can she not recall that Wati scarcely survived a plague of risen dead scant months ago?? Oh, what riches would I not pass by for one minute at the ear of the Ruby Prince, exposing her vanity and foolishness!!" The paladin turns her face upward, giving vent to her anger in a hiss through grinding teeth, both fists clenched skyward.

After several seconds staring upward at the ceiling and breathing heavily, she falls suddenly to her knees. Inclining her head and opening her fists to present two raised palms in the now-familiar manner of her faith, she prays in a tired voice. "Glorious flower of the dawn, flame which cleanses and heals, redeem my anger. Burn brightly in my heart to the good of all, and leave not the bitter cinders of resentment behind to darken my countenance."

She opens her eyes and lifts her face, turning to see Azkin at her right hand. His serious face is a bit wide-eyed at his mistress's outburst, but he gives her a smile that is almost grim in its silent agreement with her expressed frustrations. He reaches one hand to help the paladin to her feet, which she thankfully accepts. "Forgive me, friends. For the good of us all, and for innocents everywhere, it appears that we much play along with this... silliness."

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Anyone else who wishes to sleep there is welcome. I see no point in being easily found by either mundane assassins or magical powers."
    Lehasti nods wearily at the arcanist's suggestion. "I see little need to expose ourselves to further danger, nor the guards that surround us, by allowing ourselves to be found. And we may also discuss what further plans must be made... frivolous though this event may be, it will doubtless redound to our advantage to win it, if we can." The paladin adopts a martial "at ease" stance while the scholar makes his preparations before following him up the rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    At the inn, Turi falls in with his younger brother, sharing their ideas for tricks to pull during the chariot race. "Let's ride together!" the older suggests- sparing a glance to Lehasti in hopes of her acceptance, at least, if not approval. "Think you could break a wheel with your spear?"
    Azkin gives his spear an appraising glance, and then his brother Turi an uncertain smile. "I... maybe? Depends on the wheel... but wouldn't that be cheating?" He turns a cautious glance upon his mistress.

With a scoffing laugh, the paladin responds sardonically, "I suspect that Her Excellency is somewhat more concerned with the drama of the thing than with the 'boring' rigors of sportsmanship. What tricks we might play that do not dampen the excitement may well earn us greater glory in Her Excellency's estimation." Shaking her head and sighing in what wry humor she can muster, the paladin continues, "Try to avoid harming the other entrants, but beyond that? I suppose that 'anything goes'."
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2020-03-30 at 09:55 PM.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Muminofrah’s attentions were too great to engage in much conversation, so Natala keeps to the rest of the group. For now, it was better to watch and listen, especially given what the group had mentioned about possible spies. It was ridiculous to think the fate of a city was at stake and this noblewoman was more interested in frivolity ... but not unsurprising. What horrors would be visited upon the land before she saw the light?

After Muminofrah finally tired, the group adjourned to the Inn, escorted by a several guards. Once the group had settled in, Natala raised an eyebrow at Lehasti’s outburst, but Waited only a few moments before repeating some of her concerns from earlier.

”That woman marked you all - even through the disguises, her servants found you. How will we evade future detection? Your public faces clearly mark you all as targets, and this contest concerns me. What better time to find you, with or without magic.

I wish you could have convinced the noblewoman that other pastimes might be in order; however, now we must decide if victory is worth the price of her fawning adoration. We might be better served to keep the race close but let another potential darling take your place under noble scrutiny.”

To Vershab, she nodded hesitantly. ”I am game, but I am no accomplished rider. I can wield a spear and provide some blessings, however.”

OOC - So looks like no response to Natala’s comments ... moving on.
    Show
    F +5 R +8 W +8
    Weapon: +1 longspear (+8, 1d8+4), Ancestral Weapon (+1 magic weapon of choice from pantheon)
    Martial flexibility: 6/6; AW: 7/7: Spirit shield: 7/7; Blessings: 2/2
    Effect: Slippers (ignore difficult terrain);
    Last edited by Starbin; 2020-04-01 at 12:39 AM.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

Turi almost jumps when Lehasti lets loose her frustrations. It's a little bit of a self-revealing moment when he realizes that the constant tirade of false accolades and possibly-legitimate excitement has bled into the youngster's perspective. While Lehasti has remained focus on the task at hand and built up a reservoir of irritation, Turi has done exactly the opposite. He's lost focus and little-by-little been swayed to the point of genuine anticipation for the event. His eyes fall to the floor in shame at the discovery.

Still, what's done is done, and he doesn't take it too hard. He acknowledges the rest of Lehasti's concerns and assertions with a short series of nods, before retiring to Vershab's extraplanar hidey-hole. Natala's concerns, though they be valid, earn only a shrug from the young rogue. He has little way to influence it, and therefore refuses to worry. With the comfort that can only reliably source from overconfidence and the surety of youth, Turi finds himself quickly and comfortably asleep in his bedroll.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Turi has limited means to "prepare" for the trial. Assuming that the mechanics for "we don't want any extra weight" is essentially the armor check penalty, Turi will leave behind the mistmail, but wear and keep the rest of his gear. At the very least, he'll keep 1 kukri, and both a silvered and cold iron dagger. He'll wear his ring, cloak, and amulets with protective magic, and a bandolier with the tanglefoot bag, a vial of holy water, a vial of alchemist's fire, and a few curative potions. The poisons and other consumables will remain with his armor and the rest of his weaponry and other belongings.

30. - Top - End - #570

NecromancerGuy

Vershab nods, "I cannot imagine that driving the chariot safely will be too difficult if we don't intend to win - and I don't. Instead I intend to sow chaos among the other competitors to ensure Lehasti's chariot wins...Unless, of course, we decide we don't want her to win, in which case it may be more difficult. After we begin, I am strongly considering flying out of the chariot invisibly to wreak havoc, only returning as we get close enough to the finish line to be seen. I suppose we will see, based on the racing path..." Vershab yawns and then, without saying goodnight, lays down and goes to sleep obliviously.

Spoiler: Preparations
    Show
    I doubt anything at a cantrip level will matter, but the following spells are available for me to spread around...

1st - Endure Elements (24 hour duration) and Mage Armor (7 hour duration)
    2nd - Bear's Endurance and Cat's Grace (+CON and +DEX, 7 minutes duration unless I spend uses of my Rod of Extend Spell to double their duration. Will this be enough?)
    3rd - Communal Resist Energy (70 minute duration, split into 10-minute increments among the PCs buffed)

I think Mage Armor is the obvious winner here. I can cast seven total 1st level spells each day, so that is enough for everyone once and for me to have two left over. My biggest limitation is limited 3rd level spell slots. I have only four and want to reserve them for surprise combat encounters...

Otherwise I have some consumable items to help with the chaos. I figure I can use scrolls and wands for much of the shenanigans I plan. Does anyone have any additional ideas/requests? Usually I would offer Enlarge Person, but I don't think that fits the plan right now...