New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1384
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

Lehasti's eyes widen as the beast talks! Blinking away her surprise, she turns to Azkin, who nods before placing a hand on his mistress's shoulder.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Azkin uses one charge of Touch of Glory to give Lehasti a +6 bonus on the next Cha-based skill check she attempts.

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Azkin
    M NG Human Cleric, Level 6, Init 2, HP 34/57, Speed 30
    AC 19, Touch 12, Flat-footed 17, CMD 18, Fort 9, Ref 8, Will 10, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Keen Scimitar +1 7 (1d6+3, 15-20, x2)
    Dagger +1 6 (1d4+3, 19-20, x2)
    Chain Shirt, Shield, Heavy Wooden (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 19, Cha 10
    Condition Prone: -4 melee atk, AC vs melee, +4 AC vs ranged
    Bless (Morale): +1 atk, saves vs fear. ~6 minutes

lends her booming voice to Natala's entreaties, calling down to the unseen beast, "Indeed, allow us to remove our companions from your lair, and we will have no more quarrel with you! Rest assured, however, that should you press the attack, we will be forced to respond in kind!"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    This sounds like Diplomacy (+17 mod) but could be interpreted as Intimidate (+9). Base roll (plus Touch of Glory): (1d20+6)[20]

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Lehasti Gesmeha
    F LG Human Paladin, Level 8, Init 1, HP 98/98, Speed 20
    AC 19, Touch 11, Flat-footed 18, CMD 24, Fort 13, Ref 7, Will 9, CMB +14, Base Attack Bonus 8
    +1/Flaming/Flaming Burst, Continual Flame Flaming Puzzle Falchion +1 +15 (2d4+7, 18-20, x2)
    Flail, Heavy +13 (1d10+7, 19-20, x2)
    Spiked Gauntlet +13 (1d4+5, )
    Breastplate +1 (+7 Armor, +1 Dex, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 20, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 7, Cha 17
    Condition Falchion is +1 today
    Bless (Morale): +1 atk, saves vs fear. ~6 minutes
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Firbolg in the Playground

Natala's and Lehasti's entreaties appear to mollify the beast for a moment, and it replies to the Desert Walker, or rather, to her illusion of a blue dragon. Unnoticed, Vershab flies into the cavern and makes Vlarga invisible. The behir, eyes fixed on the dragon, doesn't seem to notice, and the gnoll begins to slip to the side...

"Why do you have your servants speak for you? No voice of your own?" The behir snarls, with a gesture of its many legs that could pass for a kind of shrug, and continues.

"My domain, yes! Everyone who steps in it is food! And I was hungry! If you give me... Er..." It hesitates for a second, but decides against making a bigger demand. Natala notices how badly wounded the behir is, and guesses that this is the reason for the leniency.

"If you... If you leave my home, I will let you go in peace!"

Unfortunately, it is at this point that Vershab's earth elemental, on the other side, lands a tremendous blow. The behir yells in pain and rage, and the full weight of its paw falls down on Vlarga! It strikes true even though it can no longer see her, but the bloodrager, in a desperate move, rolls aside just beyond reach!

"TRAITOR!" The enraged beast strikes at the fake dragon, completely failing to note that its blows pass through the illusory image as if it never were there...

Spoiler: end of round 5
    Show
    Resolving the actions in the following order: Turi steps back, Vlarga goes total defense, Natala and Lehasti do diplomacy while Vershab flies in invisibly and casts Vanish on Vlarga, then the elemental hits the behir.

If the behir notices Vershab's spellcasting, it strikes before the spell is in effect. Otherwise, it strikes when the elemental attacks, which is after Vlarga is invisible, therefore it has a 50% miss chance.

The behir's rolls include a -5 penalty for negative levels on everything, except damage.

Behir's Perception DC20 (base DC0, +20 as Vershab is invisible) (1d20+3)[17] - FAIL

Behir's readied attack on Vlarga, miss chance if applicable (51+ hits) (1d100)[68] SUCCESS, attack (1d20+15)[18] MISS! damage (3d6+12)[22] cc(35) (1d20+15)[18] ed (3d6+12)[22], and grab (1d20+1)[8] with immediate constrict damage (3d6+12)[21] (the grab attempt includes a -20 penalty for using the grab ability without becoming grappled)

Standard action, attack the blue dragon illusion. Will save (1d20+2)[3]

The cavern is in dim light (20% miss chance). The behir and Vlarga have darkvision, so it doesn't matter to them.

Total damage sustained by the behir so far: 232, and 5 negative levels. It's visibly about to fall.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2022-01-05 at 10:51 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Natala al Akmet, Warsighted Oracle

Natala shakes her head as the situation degenerated quickly into violence. With a sigh, she called out "To me, gnoll!" then mentally commanded the holy warrior to attack the behir.

If the rager responded, Natala would use her strongest healing spell to aid the warrior. If not, she would eye the distance to the behir, call upon ancient knowledge to better prepare her attack, then lash out with a beam of light that burned through the darkness.

OOC - Spiritual ally will attack the behir; Natala will either heal or attack
    Spoiler: Actions - Rnd 6
    Show
    Spiritual ally attack w/flank:
    Attack - (1d20+13)[32], Damage - (1d10+2)[12]; If necessary, Crit confirm- (1d20+13)[23], Damage - (1d10+2)[6]

Attack 2 - (1d20+8)[27], Damage - (1d10+2)[9]; If necessary, Crit confirm - (1d20+8)[25], Damage - (1d10+2)[10]
    (Additional rolls are located in Post #1021)

Natala's heal vs Vlarga, if/when she comes over: Cure Critical - (4d8+8)[33] (I think that's right for the heal).

Natala's attack w/searing light if Vlarga ignore's her resquest (Point blank feat included):
    Attack - (1d20+11)[21], Dam - (4d8+1)[25]

Spoiler: Status - Rnd 6
    Show
    AC 21 HP 63/72 Init +8 Move 30
    Abilities Str 14 Dex 18 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 12 Cha 20
    Fort +6 Reflex +8 Will +9
    Weapon: +1 longspear (+9/+4, 1d8+4), Ancestral Weapon (+1 magic weapon of choice from pantheon; Shortbow +11/+6 )
    Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    0: guidance, detect magic, create water, read magic, detect poison, stabilize, mending, ghost sound, mage hand, enhanced diplomacy (Unlimited)
    1st: cure light wounds, unseen servant, ray of sickening, divine favor, remove fear, bless, protection vs evil (8/8)
    2nd: cure moderate wounds, levitate, minor image, spiritual weapon, burst of radiance, lesser restoration, spear of purity (6/7)
    3rd: cure serious wounds, heroism, searing light, summon monster III (6/6)
    4th: cure critical wounds, spiritual ally, blessings of fervor (3/4)

Martial flexibility: 7/7 (gain 1 combat feat as swift, or two as move; lasts 1 min)
    Ancestral Weapon: 8/8 (gain +1 weapon of choice, Lasts 1 min/charge)
    Spirit shield: 6/7 (summon +6 mystic armor; lasts 1 hr per charge)
    Blessings: 2/2 (War and Good)
    Key skills: Diplomacy +13; KS History/Religion +10; Sense Motive +9; Spellcraft +9; Heal +5; Linguistics +5; KS All others +4; Craft Weapons +6
    Featherstep Slippers : Ignore difficult terrain, take 5’ step in difficult terrain
    Conditions/Effects: minor illusion (2 rounds); Ally (6 of 10 rnds); Spirit shield (+6 AC, 1 hr); Ancestral weapon (Bow, 6 of X rnds); Darkvision
    Last edited by Starbin; 2022-01-05 at 03:09 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Vlarga is repositioning for an attack when the red-haired newcomer calls her over. Vlarga shakes her head through her rage and plans to ignore the request, but then the beast abruptly slumps over from yet another wound - clearly defeated.

She moves across the pit to Natala. The earth indents under her mass, but she taps Natala, and says "here," in her booming voice.

5. - Top - End - #1025

The crocodile-man strikes two great blows, finally defeating the rampaging monster. With a final cry, the enormous beast collapses on the rocky cavern floor, and lies still.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

With the battle clearly won, Natala nodded at the disembodied voice and reached out to provided holy healing. (OOC - Vlarga gets 33 hps back). As the dark dragon roared one last time, then disappeared, Natala glanced at the beast, then around at the others, a slight look of disapproval flitting across her face momentarily. "Tis a shame our parlay was unsuccessful. Perhaps had we not re-initiated hostilities, we could have departed in peace." She looked pointedly at the earth elemental, then shook her head, pushing aside her annoyance. "However, it is probably for the best - the creature would continue to pray upon unsuspecting travelers. But enough of that, where is Vershab? And uncloak yourself, mighty warrior, that we may meet formally."

Natala dismissed her bow for now, as well as giving the crocodilian warrior a slight bow of her head and letting it depart back to its plane of origin. Her mystic armor remained for now, as she turned towards the others expectantly.

OOC - dismiss ally and ancestral weapon if combat is over. Illusion disappears on its own after a few seconds.
    Show
    Weapon: +1 longspear (+9/+4, 1d8+4), Ancestral Weapon (+1 magic weapon of choice from pantheon; Shortbow +11/+6 )
    Show
    0: guidance, detect magic, create water, read magic, detect poison, stabilize, mending, ghost sound, mage hand, enhanced diplomacy (Unlimited)
    1st: cure light wounds, unseen servant, ray of sickening, divine favor, remove fear, bless, protection vs evil (8/8)
    2nd: cure moderate wounds, levitate, minor image, spiritual weapon, burst of radiance, lesser restoration, spear of purity (6/7)
    4th: cure critical wounds, spiritual ally, blessings of fervor (2/4)

Martial flexibility: 7/7 (gain 1 combat feat as swift, or two as move; lasts 1 min)
    Ancestral Weapon: 7/8 (gain +1 weapon of choice, Lasts 1 min/charge)
    Key skills: Diplomacy +13; KS History/Religion +10; Sense Motive +9; Spellcraft +9; Heal +5; Linguistics +5; KS All others +4; Craft Weapons +6
    Featherstep Slippers : Ignore difficult terrain, take 5’ step in difficult terrain
    Conditions/Effects: Spirit shield (+6 AC, 1 hr); Darkvision

7. - Top - End - #1027

NecromancerGuy

Vershab dodges out of the way of the falling behemoth, reappearing beside Natala with a calm expression. He nods respectfully, dismisses his summoned earth elemental, and then turns to his recently-returned companion. "I have the coin I owe you. If you would like, we can return to the surface and I can count it out for you while you administer healing. Vlarga is the large, invisible gnoll. She's been guiding us in the desert since we lost you," he says as he flies up to the surface beside Lehasti.

"Now, I think I know the answer to this, but I really must insist you consider my request. This monster's corpse would make an ideal zombie mount in the desert - tireless, capable of aiding us in defense, capable of climbing...Put simply it is a truly excellent selection and will save me considerable magical power throughout our explorations. I can confidently guarantee you that it will stay under my control indefinitely, save the unlikely possibility that we encounter an enemy cleric capable of controlling the undead. Even in that event, I can attempt to wrestle control back with a high chance of success, especially if we are executing your divine wrath on the body of said cleric. It will not even cost us anything significant - I have scrolls and onyx gems saved for just this purpose, pilfered from our previous exploits.

This is a very effective option, Lehasti, even if it is not properly [Good] in the eyes of those who understand such moral quandaries. When we are done with the creature, I can command it to damage itself until a simple strike from any one of us will destroy the animating magic forever, leaving only the rotting corpse. What say you?
    "

The scholar waits, a bit of a challenge in his usual, off-kilter tone. He does not look Lehasti directly in the eye, but it's as close as he ever has before. Vershab's excitement and desire is palpable, and not without (clinical and utterly a-moral) merit...

"Oh, and it likely has a decent sized collection of loot dropped from its previous meals in its lair. We should find it - the resources could prove useful too."

Spoiler: @Starbin
    Show
    Vershab does owe Natala 700 GP and gives it to her at the earliest opportunity to clear the ledger.

He is also at 8/57 HPs and I would appreciate some significant healing magic.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"Thank you!" the invisible gnoll warrior booms before sighing with relief as the pain washes away and she exits her rage, shrinking in size. At the request to uncloak, she scratches her invisible chin and says in a significantly higher pitch, "you know - I'm not... actually sure how to do that...?" Fortunately, well before Vershab finishes his necromantic request, the now calm Vlarga flashes back into view. Though fascinated by the wizard's macabre request, she turns her head back to Natala.

Vlarga reaches into her pack and remove a small stoppered cask, and several tin cups, "formally, it is an honor, stranger! I infer you are already well acquainted with the Relic Knights. Well, formally then, a toast to our victory," as she speaks, she pours mead into both the cups and a decadently ornate golden chalice bejeweled with diamonds and onyx. She hands one cup to Natala, and one to any Relic Knight within reach, leaving the others on the ground to be collected as desired. She then raises her chalice, and announces "I am Vlarga al-Lamashten!" The gnoll stands seven and a half feet tall and is still dripping with Behir viscera and her own blood from several serious wounds, but gives a low cordial bow well suited for a courtier, managing to not spill a drop from the chalice.

Her tone is oratory as if she were a bard regaling a crowd with the tales of another, "I have fought for and against the slavers of Fort Fang. I have danced the blood moon away at Lamashtu’s Flower. I have found glory in the Tripoint Arena of An, heard the music of the singing dunes of Khat, bathed in honor in the Great Pool of Djeneg. I have plundered riches from Pharaohs - on both sides of life. I have fought and killed the denizens of these wastes. I am Vlarga al-Lamashten - scion of the sands. I am acting a guide for the Relic Knights to find what they seek in the Parched Dunes," Vlarga take a big drink from her chalice, swallows, and stares at the contents for a moment with an approving smile, and then continues, "now, my new friend... please tell me, who are you?" The emphasis on 'who' makes it clear she is asking for more than just a name. It would seem Vlarga took the formality request literally, as the whole ritual is reminiscent of a classic roadway greeting custom for desert travelers - who you are, where you've been, where you are going - though apparently with mead in the place of water.

Spoiler: Vlarga status, end of combat (unraged)
    Show
    Vlarga al-Lamashten
    F TN Gnoll Bloodrager, Level 8, Init 1, HP 19(43)/100, DR 1/-, DR 5 fire,acid,cold, Speed 30 (40)
    AC 19, Touch 12, Flat-footed 19, CMD 25, Fort 14, Ref 5, Will 5, CMB +16, Base Attack Bonus 8/3
    PA included +2 Claws (while raging) (Bodywrap works on 2 attacks per round) +13/+13 (2d6+15 / 2d6+15, x2)
    PA included Falchion +1 (while raging) +15/+7 (2d6+20, 18-20/x2)
    Breastplate +3 (+9 Armor, +1 Dex, +2 Deflect, -3 Misc, +4 dodge)
    Abilities Str 24, Dex 12, Con 22, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 16
    Bloodrage 15/21, Spells: 1st 2/2, 2nd 2/2
    Condition: None

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Natala smiled at Vershab's words - both the concerns over payments as well as the desire to raise the behir from the dead. "Whatever gold you feel you owe me is unnecessary, as long as it is put towards the good of the group. As for the beast, do what you must. It is distasteful, but breaks no covenants I have with my gods ..."

When Vlarga entered the conversation, she accepted the small mug and the introduction from the gnoll with focused attention. Afterwards, she nodded and bowed low to the warrior. "Ah, a keeper of the old ways ... how civilized. Certainly a different initial encounter than my first meeting with these four. " She smiled softly, remembering how the Relic Knights had almost attacked and, likely, would have killed her had not Lehasti intervened. Turning back to Vlarga, she raised her cup. "I am Natala al Akmet. I am the Bond-gift ... scion of the Children of the Fiery Star as well as the Daughter of the Sand Stalkers. I am a Seer of the Ancient Gods and Speaker of the Old Ways. I have danced atop the Brazen Peaks, under the sun of summer and moon of winter. I have broken bread or crossed spears with every tribe between Mount Osiki and the Salt Hills, bringing word of the Old Ones and seeking new words of their time. I have bathed where the waters of the Crook, the Asp and the Sphinx meet. I have ridden giant scorpions into battle, road a chariot in the Great Race, and plunged into the depths of dark libraries and lost temples alike. I have slain fools who wish to raise an ancient enemy and threaten to destroy our way of life. I fell in battle against cultists and a sphinx but was saved from the River by the Raging Torrent and the Green Empress. Through their graces, I have been led to you all, and given a second chance to prevent a dark future.

I am Natala al Akmet, Dune Walker, companion to the Relic Knights, and I have sworn to aid their mission against the followers of that ancient enemy. And I thank you for your hospitality."
    She raised her cup and drank deeply from it.

OOC - Introductions!
    Show
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

As Natala speaks, Vlarga listens to the brief summary of her journeys thus far and her expression changes to a toothy grin that widens more as she goes on. After Natala drinks, Vlarga concludes the ritual with, "it is an honor to share my mead with you, Natala al Akmet," and a final bow.

The gnoll takes another drink, and adds, "you are a storied soul, Natala! I am thrilled to know we will be journeying together. I hope our travels together will feature prominantly in your next greeting." Vlarga nods back to the Relic Knights, and speak softly, "my own introduction to them was also... lacking in civility. Perhaps we should force some etiquitte lessons upon them one of these days."

She beckons and the massive dire hyena, who had hidden throughout the battle, approaches. Vlarga reaches out to pet his side, "and this is Hlasho. Hlasho - this is a friend." The beast was already calm, but he lies down in the sand beside Vlarga and watches Natala with only mild interest. "He is a softy, and will generally avoid conflict unless he is worried about me... which I suppose does not happen even when I get eaten."

11. - Top - End - #1031

NecromancerGuy

Vershab sniffs at the conversation between Vlarga and Natala, but doesn't act overly rudely even when he hears their criticism. "What are those drinks? Are they tasty? Alcoholic? Is that wise in a desert?" he asks as he floats down, no doubt waiting on Lehasti's answer. He sniffs one and then asks, "Is the custom a long, drawn out speech before drinking? I'm not opposed, but I'm no good at these sorts of things," the arcanist continues, his trademark stare (not quite at anyone, though it's clear he's directing his questions to the other two) perfectly exemplifying his social ineptitude. "As for your introductions to our band, can you blame us for assuming the threat of violence? We've certainly been subjected to enough surprising attacks to warrant a nice, big, zombie protector!" he finishes, yelling back up at Lehasti before he takes a sip of the mead experimentally.

With a shake of his head he wrinkles his nose, trying to decide if he likes it. "Well, I'm Vershab Fethi, a scholar, devotee of the arcane, and resident undead expert. I've been touched by the subtle influence of the walking dead since I was a child and struggle with talking to the living. It's much easier to speak with the dead, after all, since they are so much more constant than the ever-changing living. I'm not evil, but I don't understand morality and depend heavily on Lehasti to help me manage that compass. We've fought an undead plague, raided their tombs, and now battle the cult of the Sky Pharaoh. I bear the Sky Pharaoh's unholy burden until such time as it - and he - can be finally destroyed.

Did I do it right at all? Am I supposed to drink this now?
    "

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Natala smirked at Vershab's response. Noting his injuries, she reached over to touch his shoulder and provide the warm healing energy of the old ones. "My apologies that I did not do this first.

As for the greeting, you may say whatever you will. However, it is customary to introduce yourself, provide some measure of who you are or what you have accomplished, and end with where your path leads. It is common among the desert tribes, who tend to follow an oral tradition over the written word. It has fallen out of favor in many of the cities, but those who follow the old ways still use it."

She listened, pleased at the mage's efforts. When last they had seen each other, she took him for a man locked within his own perceptions, but even in this short time apart it was obvious his was growing. "Well said, sir. Thank you for your story. Do Turi, Azkin or Lehasti wish to join, or should we look for whatever ill-gotten gains this monster collected over the years?"

OOC - Ready to start searching for loot or continue RPing ... and presume Natala heals anyone that needs it.
    Spoiler: Status - OOC
    Show
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Titan in the Playground

Turi is as surprised as anyone when the earthen being slams into the behir. He dashes forward to resume the fight, only to find the beast thrashing spasmodically in death. As his efforts reverse course from causing death to avoiding his own, he dances nimbly around the flailing arms and tail, making the whole thing look actually fairly eloquent. As the Beast finally stills, the youngster clucks his teeth. "Should have tried talking before you tried eating," he grunts. He is clearly unmoved by Natalie's concerns, considering the slain monster a menace more than parlaying partner, and shrugs noncommittally at the mention of peace.

When Vershab begins his own overtures, the rogue glances back and forth between (still invisible) speaker and potential zombie with a series of glances. First dismissive, then obviously worried, and finally landing on appraising, he breaks his peace only to add: "Hard to argue with having that thing on our side in the first place..."

Then Vlarga begins the rather protracted (and totally alien, to Turi) process of greeting Natala. More than anything else, he watches in simple confusion as the two list feats and qualities in apparent tribute to themselves. His expression becomes more and more unsure as they continue, until Vlarga introduces her canine companion.
    Quote Originally Posted by SanguinePenguin View Post
    "which I suppose does not happen even when I get eaten."
    Turi snorts loudly, interrupting the discourse with his apparently genuine amusement. The snort is quickly overtaken by a grand series of belly-deep laughs, out of place in the aftermath of such destruction and verbiage but nonetheless offering some levity to the otherwise formal proceedings.

Finally, he watches in silence as Vershab demonstrates his uncanny knack for the uncomfortable. As the arcanist sips, Turi steps forward and bows awkwardly. "I- uh... I grew up on the streets of Wati. Nobody taught me anything, so Azkin and I did what we had to to survive. Mostly stealing, I suppose, but that's not that different from plundering. Oh, and we found a book in that library that says we're descendants of pharaoh Masakhet!" he takes a curious drink, eyes widening in appreciation at the sweetness. He takes another draught, more deep and less cautious. After, he raises the tin cup in something of a mock toast. "Oh, we helped recover that mask thing!"

He glances once more into the cup, and looks up at Vlarga. "Uh. Do you want to keep any of this?"

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

The revelry in the wake of victory may be the environment where Vlarga is most at home, and her ease, despite her wounds, is transparent. That the others are coming out of their shells a bit more than through the rest of their transit keeps a genuine grin on her face. "It is an honor to share my mead with you, Vershab Fethi and Turi... Masakhet," Vlarga appends the unsaid title questioningly. It seems that I travel with many storied souls. Turi, that is your mead now to with as you wish - drink it, dump it, bathe with it - I'll take no offense. Besides... this cask isn't yet empty and I purchased several of them in Djeneg. The honey of their apiaries is so-so, but it does make a nice mead."

To Vershab, she then adds, "regarding necromancy and the behir, it seems... unpleasant, but your arguments also have an undeniable merit. If you have a gift for dealing with the undead as you say, then as long as that tool isn't being used recklessly, it would seem foolhardy to leave it sheathed indefinitely. If this is a vote and if as your guide I get one, then I suppose I give a cautious yes."

15. - Top - End - #1035

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    "Oh, we helped recover that mask thing!"
    Vershab looks in Turi's direction and says, "I'd prefer we not discuss that any more than is strictly necessary, Al-Masakhet. I have already mentioned the burden, so let's leave it at that..."

As more votes in support of his idea come to the front Vershab looks up at Lehasti expectantly.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lehasti and Azkin retain their coiled postures as the creature seems to respond to their overtures, and the latter flinches visibly as the Behir, provoked by the earth elemental's attack, roars its vengeance. Moments later, as it becomes clear that the danger is past, they each sigh in relief, Lehasti creeping near the edge of its lair to peer within, and her young companion looking around to assess the condition of those visible above.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    "Tis a shame our parlay was unsuccessful. Perhaps had we not re-initiated hostilities, we could have departed in peace. However, it is probably for the best - the creature would continue to pray upon unsuspecting travelers."
    Lehasti spreads her hands, with a bland expression. "I know not the sort of fare upon which such a creature might prey, when unsuspecting passers-by are not available... but I find it difficult to mourn its demise, when we were merely passing through."

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Now, I think I know the answer to this, but I really must insist you consider my request...What say you?"
    Lehasti frowns, more in thought than in disapproval, but her reverie is cut off by Vlarga's ornate and flourishing introduction, followed by that of Natala, which she observes with an approving smile.

"My own introduction to them was also... lacking in civility. Perhaps we should force some etiquitte lessons upon them one of these days."
    The paladin's broad smile erupts into peals of laughter at their newest companion's witticism. "Friend Vlarga, it is so good to hear that your time in the proverbial belly of the beast has not dulled your good humor! Very nearly as good," she turns to advance toward Natala, "as to see you once again upon this side of the veil!" Enfolding her fellow warrior-woman in a fierce bear hug, Lehasti releases Natala to hold her at arm's length, examining the latter for any signs of injury.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Is the custom a long, drawn out speech before drinking? I'm not opposed, but I'm no good at these sorts of things. Well..."
    Lehasti shakes her head ruefully, but favors Vershab with a brief nod in acknowledgment of his own introduction. "Perhaps some instruction in courtesy would be in order," she murmurs to nobody in particular.

Azkin turns from a bemused observation of the introductions to give an uncertain expression to his mistress; the latter seems once more caught in deep consideration, her brows furrowed in apparent consternation. "Friend Vershab," she begins punctuated by a deep sigh, "well you know my distaste for... this sort of thing. Nor does there appear to be any extreme problem that calls for such an... unorthodox solution." Shaking her head, the paladin continues, "However, I cannot deny that you have been the very soul of patience in the exercise of your particular talents in this regard. That being the case," she pauses to take a deep breath, "I will neither prohibit you from this course of action, nor endorse the decision to pursue it, should you so choose. I only ask that you be mindful that among the most common of evils is that which embraces practical and momentary expedience at the expense of that which is right."
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2022-01-12 at 03:58 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1037

NecromancerGuy

For a moment Vershab seems to be about to enter into a lecture on the nature and feeding habits of the behir, as he starts saying, "Well, behirs will generally eat anything small enough for them to swallow..." before he trails off when he recognizes that Lehasti wasn't really asking for an academic discussion of what this monster would likely devour if left alive. He does snort to himself when the topic of courtesy is again mentioned, but doesn't respond until Lehasti finally gives him an answer regarding reanimating the beast.

"Oh, is that all? That's fine, then," he says matter-of-factly as he removes some onyx and a scroll from his pack. Then he takes a moment and snaps his fingers before opening one of his spell books and studying for a moment. Once done with his Quick Study he calls out to everyone around him. "Everyone please back up, just so we give the reanimation magic a comfortable space. It cannot influence any of you, but caution is rarely inappropriate. Now, I will be using two spells to accomplish this - the first is the basic spell colloquially called "animate dead." I know it isn't very creative, but the simple name is in this case a feature, not a flaw. I have been holding onto several scrolls recovered during our exploits and am confident that this one has been prepared with the onyx gems already consumed. Should that prove to be insufficient then I have more here, just in case. The components are essential to the arcane magic, but it's difficult to be sure that the original scribe prepared these scrolls for maximum use."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    According to previous posts in which this loot was dropped, the scrolls are prepared for up to 16 Hit Dice of undead. I think it was stated that the (advanced?) behir had 14 HD, so this should be sufficient. If not, please advise, Gwynfrid, and I will remove Onyx from Vershab's inventory accordingly. He has 500 GP worth of Onyx available for such material components.

"The second magic will ensure that our new mount is not the slow, clumsy zombie most of us have encountered before. Instead it will be a "fast zombie" - again, not the most creative name, but descriptive. Several of you have had your metabolisms hasted by my magic before. This will be a somewhat permanent effect upon the undead. Unfortunately it does make the resultant zombie less resistant to damaging attacks, but as we do not intend for this monster to last forever I don't see that as a problem. I'd rather our mount be able to move quickly and get us where we are going than to be more difficult to destroy when it is time for us to do so."

Once prepared and his process explained, Vershab casts his spell, activates his scroll, and then touches the side of the dead behir. At first it is difficult to tell that anything has happened - the dead behir doesn't begin moving or breathing, the stench of its death remains present, and Vershab only shivers slightly in spite of the heat. "What an...intense...experience this is..." he says, his voice rough with either emotion or vocal distress. "I can feel the zombie in a sense, as if it were a cold pit sucking in life and energy into the void. There are...strings?...no, chains too, that bind it to me. They are both heavy and ephemeral..." With a cough and another shiver Vershab looks up at his allies. He floats over to them and then directs his voice to the zombie. "Climb up and out of there, avoiding my living allies, and wait over there. Do not attack anything, even to defend yourself." he orders, eliciting an immediate response from the late-behir's zombified corpse. The massive undead climbs out of the late-behir's den and then lays down, completely still, several feet away from the nearest PC.

Turning back to his companions, Vershab says, "It is unfortunately mindless and unable to tell us anything of the lair below. We should take the time to explore it and collect any treasure left behind. My control over it is absolute and I won't lose track of it - I carry the necromantic chains binding it to me. They are heavy enough that I will know if my control is broken for any reason." Looking at his animated abomination he nods, sniffs the air, and concludes thoughtfully, "The desert air will need to dry it out, but I suspect it will eventually become desiccated enough that we won't smell it. In the meantime I will ensure it stays downwind."

Then, the arcanist continues to use his active flight spell to descend into the tunnel and look for anything left behind by the monster now passively waiting for its master to return to the surface.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    According to the Zombie Template entry, making a Fast Zombie is very easy for Vershab. The details are about a fifth of the way down the webpage.

If Gwynfrid will kindly share the stat block for the original advanced behir, I will prepare a stat block for the fast-zombie-behir for review. I've already removed the first of four scrolls of Animate Dead from Vershab's inventory and spent the Arcane Reservoir point and spell slot for Haste. If I need to spend the onxy please advise.

Take 10 on Perception to find treasure in the lair? That would be a 29 or a (1d20+19)[26] if I need to roll.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Vlarga is no stranger to necromancy. At the fort, whenever more labor was needed, the bodies of dead slaves or others would be reanimated to fill the void. Sikivi of the Dead would even sometimes animate corpses that would tear themselves apart to entertain gnoll pups at festivals, which reflecting back now, were quite macabre affairs compared to the festivals in the rest of Osirion and Katapesh. She is no stranger to necromancy… but this zombie is something else. Seeing it move for the first time, Vlarga’s jaw drops and she emits a stunned, "oh… wow… what a… zombehir." She stares in awe for a whole minute after it settles into its new position and stops moving.

With a shake of her head to pull her from her daze, she turns to Natala, "Natala, I have to ask… Given where we are, there is no chance you just happened to be in the area. There is unlikely to be another living humanoid not native to the dunes for a dozen miles in any direction, let alone one who some of us have met before. And there is almost no chance you tracked us across the dunes unless you’ve been tailing us closely for many leagues without saying anything. So… how are you here?"

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Titan in the Playground

Turi tilts his head in surprise when Lehasti's response is anything other than absolute. He blinks thoughtfully, perhaps confused for several moments, and only turns back in time to see Vershab in the process of preparing the spell. "Oh, this is happening, then," he utters lamely, as he takes several steps back. He watches in naked curiosity as the arcanist stretches his necromantic muscles, fascinated by the idea, at least, of what he's about to witness.

The reality of it is quite something else. Despite Vershab's words, the utter disconnect between a visibly un-living creature and its sudden (and apparent willing) rise and movement strikes the youngster with its sheer offness. "That..." He falls silent again, staring awestruck at the huge ... creature? As his companion expounds confidently, the young urchin can't help but glance back at Lehasti and Azkin. He plods silently to his younger brothers side, murmuring. "Somehow, I feel smaller..."

20. - Top - End - #1040

NecromancerGuy

"oh… wow… what a… zombehir."
    "That...Somehow, I feel smaller..."
    Vershab smirks silently at the gnoll's words and scoffs momentarily at Turi's. "I'm not a counsellor and not trained to address mental issues. If you are suffering delusions that you are shrunken that is not me - such magic exists, but I have not made use of it. However, it is satisfying to see our new mount outside the late-creature's lair. The tunnels hid much of its bulk..."

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Disappointment colors Lehasti's expression as Vershab, clearly missing (or disregarding) the subtler nuances of her concerns prepares, matter-of-factly, to reanimate the creature's corpse. She moves to gather the rest of the party at a modest distance, deliberately interposing herself between them and the macabre object of the arcanist's focus. She watches intently as he works, the concern on her face evident as the impact of his necromantic magic impacts Vershab, but that reaction pales in comparison to the wide-eyed shock as the now-lifeless creature removes itself from its lair to wait, with unnatural stillness, some feet away.

The paladin's disquiet is evident, as she makes no effort to assist in the exploration of the late creature's home, her attention captured wholly by the massive creature, and the wrongness that begins to suffuse the air around it.

"Somehow, I feel smaller..."
    Azkin swallows deeply. "No wonder it was gobbling us up like that," murmurs the young cleric, with a snap of his fingers to punctuate his remark. He briefly tears his eyes from the creature to look inquiringly at his mistress. She turns, feeling his gaze upon her, and offers him an uncertain smile. "Take heart, Azkin; the Dawnflower still protects her faithful, and our current trials are but for a season. I trust Vershab's good intentions, for the time being. Our tasks remain unchanged, including mine to watch over both him and you."

"Natala, I have to ask… Given where we are, there is no chance you just happened to be in the area. There is unlikely to be another living humanoid not native to the dunes for a dozen miles in any direction, let alone one who some of us have met before. And there is almost no chance you tracked us across the dunes unless you’ve been tailing us closely for many leagues without saying anything. So… how are you here?"
    Turning from Azkin, Lehasti clears her throat. "Indeed, Natala, rarely are reunions so timely and auspicious than ours this day. I know not yet your Old Ones by their many names, but I gather that we have their guidance to thank for your return?"

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Natala is entranced by Vershab's actions, watching in rapt awe as the man returned the behir to life ... or rather to un-life. It was chilling to say the least, as she recalled her vision, and how the undead were a key part of it. Shaking her head, she turned away from the beast for a moment, facing the sun as she prayed for a moment - offering thanks for their survival and seeking guidance in the days to come. As she stood basking, Vlarga spoke, asking her a question about her presence. Natala paused long enough for Lehasti to respond before she spoke, a gentle smile upon her face. "An interesting question, with an answer both simple and not. When I fell in battle, what over a fortnight ago? I found myself sinking into the depths of the Crook, certain I was done upon this mortal coil. But where Apep sought to claim another victim, Wadjet denied the Devourer. When I awoke, I was in the presence of Wadjet and Sobrek. They spoke of trials not yet completed, tasks not yet done. They told me to not turn away from those who's knowledge and power could help."

Pausing, she glanced pointedly at the gnoll warrior, then continued. "They showed me a vision ... a large pyramid flew through the sky, attended by the living dead, seeking tribute for one unnamed.
    When I awoke from my slumber, I was guided by the light of day ... the wind in my face ... and the sound of bees in my ears. I followed them and found myself in a small oasis, close enough I could hear your sounds of battle."

She touched a small amulet at her neck, lost in thought for a moment before she spoke again. "Speaking of which where is here?"

OOC - Jumping back into it ...
    Show
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1043

NecromancerGuy

Vershab nods as he recognizes the old gods in Natala's tale but doesn't speak until her question at the end. "The good news is we have a guide. The bad news is that the Parched Dunes is a large desert and there isn't much to help us find the proverbial needle in this haystack. We don't have a magnet - at least not one that is helpful - so we've been using a phantasmal chariot to get around and try to find clues. In the absence of a better plan, we've decided to work somewhat systematically..." he continues for some time before drawing a rough map of where they've been since delivering the ex-slaves to the city of Ipeq. "The best plan I've come up with is to take the most desolate, uninhabited portion of the desert...roughly here..." he drops a pebble in a spot far from any habitations, "and spiral outward from there. Between the logical effort to ever widen our search, perhaps by outlining the symbol of Pharasma - who would surely prefer we combat intelligent undead such as a resurrected Sky Pharaoh - she might grace us with some aid. It's a long shot, but no one has come up with any better plan.

Of course, Pharasma wouldn't like us riding a...zombehir...but perhaps she'd give us a pass since it is to prevent worse undead monsters from rising to assault the living.
    " With a shrug Vershab looks to the rest.

Loot? Was there any?

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Vlarga listens to Natala’s fantastical tale, nodding in appreciation of something all the while. After Vershab describes his Pharasma holy symbol plan, Vlarga’s jaw drops as much as it did as her first witness of the zombehir’s unlife. "Wait… THAT is the plan?! You told me to lead you deeper into the desert, toward the center of the dunes, and have been vague the whole time about what we’d do once we got there, or what we are looking for, except for the occasional cryptic mention of a 'sky pharaoh.' I thought the tomb was near the center of something. This…" she motions to the diagram, pauses and scans with her eyes, estimating, "… would take five or six months of trekking through the desert!"

"Natala, it would seem the divine intervened and brought you to us at the right time. They might never have told me their plan othewise. And we had not spotted that oasis and could have missed it entirely! An oasis is always a good find in these desolate dunes - we’ll have to fill our skins. It makes sense that the behir resided here with one so close. I was surprised to find such a massive beast out here with so little food and vegetation around in this barren wasteland… wait, did you say bees?"

Vlarga’s stream of consciousness abruptly shifts direction, "you know... the dunes seem devoid of life, but there are actually many impressive creatures that thrive here, like this behir. And bees also are increibly well adapted for the desert." She scratches her muzzle, "though reclusive, there is even a hive of bee people - bee women more precisely - called Thriae, who have a home in these dunes maybe a three-day trek from here," she waves her hand flippantly to the north east.

"Back with the Five, we had a run in with them. Three of the hive’s warriors were in a losing battle with a pair of maftets, and we lent some timely aid. They were fairly gracious, helped us in return, but they were a bit… evasive. More to the point, these Thriae are seekers… or more... collectors… of knowledge. They also have prophets that know things as well. Immersed in the desert, and with this penchant for accruing information for its own sake, the Thriaen hive is one place the location you seek is likely known. They keep to themselves and don't generally deal with outsiders, so I don't know if they will help, and if they do I don't know what price they might demand for such arcane knowledge. But... I don’t think they would try to harm us as long as we are respectful, so it shouldn’t hurt to talk to them. You'll have to tell them more than you've told me though. It is a long shot maybe, but more likely to succeed than that," Vlarga motions to Vershab's diagram.

25. - Top - End - #1045

NecromancerGuy

Vershab listens to Vlarga's concern, followed by her recommendation, and replies, "In the absence of a better plan, 'months' may be the fastest something can be accomplished. Obviously I don't like this, but the tomb has been hidden for centuries, so we might be making good time to discover its location before the year ends.

However, your idea regarding the Thriae sounds like exactly why having a local guide is worth it. I think we - and by we, I mean someone with more diplomatic talents than me - should approach them and ask for directions!
    "

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Natala listened to Vlarga's comments, smiling at the gnoll's realization. "The sound of bees is holy to those that follow the old ways, and particularly to me." She pulled forth a small symbol of a shield with two crossed arrows. "As some of you know, my weapon of choice is the shortbow, weapon of Neith, the Ruler of Arrows and goddess of the hunt. Her sacred animal is the bee. In defense of Vershab's plan, even the followers of ancient ways and believers in divine inspiration find the gods prefer action towards a goal over waiting for intervention. However, with the knowledge Vlarga has provided, I think there is a new course available."

Gazing into the distance, she glanced back at the Relic Knights. "And fear not, Vershab. Your mission has been filled with the need to seek knowledge from those who would keep it for their own purposes. Perhaps this time noble Lehasti can convince these women of the value of our needs."

OOC - I think I'm ready to press when the group is ...
    Show
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Satisfied that the new course was acceptable, and eager to actually start guiding toward some clear objective, Vlarga nodded with enthusiasm. "Then we should head there!" She takes on a more somber tone as she address the men in the group, "now, Turi, Azkin, Vershab," Vlarga stares at the odd wizard for a moment before correcting, "well... maybe not Vershab. Turi and Azkin - although they are far from hostile foes, you must be wary, for this path is not without danger. The Thriae are a race of entirely female bee people and they possess the otherworldly beauty of the fae, and I am told that humans find them to be undeniably comely. Personally, I find the large butts foil the allure quite a bit, but to a lesser extent I think the same of most humans. Maybe you find bee butts attractive though - I’m not one to judge."

Vlarga pauses, waves her hands in a gesture clearing the slate, and then says, "apologies, I got off course - the real danger here is that the Thriae may desire to take you on as consorts. While you would live in luxury, this is a lifelong commitment - you could never leave their colony if you choose this route. They would regularly feed you their euphoria-inducing honey from the queen’s stock to keep you in a blissful state while you would live out your years working to keep the queen - said to be of nigh divine beauty - sexually satisfied to propagate the colony. If I recall correctly, many of the other gorgeous bee women may also want to mate with you from time to time too, but I don’t think this is for procreation, just leisure - I don’t remember those specifics though. Thinking back, they may have said that many of the non-queen Thriae will take on female consorts - so Lehasti and Natala, you may want to be vigilant as well."

Vlarga pauses as her muzzle contorts into a clear look of confusion, then she continues, "now... I remember that Cish made a compelling argument... for why you would - not - choose this life of unending euphoria and sexual decadence. I don’t remember what his argument was... but I do remember that it was a very good argument. He was a priest of Cayden too - so with such a fate somewaht aligned with his life philosophy... it must have been a good reason... I don’t... hmmm..." There is another long pause with a frown, before she continues, "well, if I do remember his points, I’ll let you know! Shall we loot the cavern, fill up at the oasis, and head that way?"

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

Turi watches as the adults talk, characteristically quiet and content to remain out of the metaphorical spotlight. His expression often mirrors the conversation: awe at Vershab's arcane exploit, comfort in Lehasti's unwavering resolution, interest at Natala's auspicious reappearance, and finally amusement at Vlarga's response to Vershab's plan. "I'm not precisely sure 'plan' has ever been the right word for what we've been doing," he mutters, as the Gnoll-woman makes her objections and subsequent suggestion known.

"Worst comes to worst, if the three-day trek proves fruitless, we can always come back to our months-long spiral, eh?" he quips with a smirk. The youngster seems perfectly content to follow along with whoever's suggestion is most reasonable at the time, and Vlarga's was making quite the case for visiting these Thriae. When she begins expounding on the life of a consort, he becomes more and more confused. "Yeah, so far I'm failing utterly to see what's so bad about that..." he mutters, perhaps overcome for the moment by his developing sexual appetite. Vlarga's sudden off-the-cuff dismissal of the topic leaves him glancing briefly at Azkin (before succinctly disregarding his younger brother as a poor source of advice), to Vershab, Lehasti, and finally Natala.

Confusion reigns supreme as Turi realizes that he is perhaps the most "adult" and certainly the most "normal" of the men in the group. Blinking repeatedly, he finds himself trotting after Vlarga into the tunnels in search of the late behir's spoils. "Ah, I hate to press, but... um... those reasons sound important!" he calls, realizing that the hugely tall canine woman has both a substantial lead and the advantage of stride length.

29. - Top - End - #1049

NecromancerGuy

"Should I be insulted?" Vershab asks Lehasti seriously. "I'm intelligent and not unattractive...do they not appreciate those qualities?"

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Natala smiled at first as Vlarga spoke of the bee women. But as she continued, her smile waned, then turned to a look of concern. Glancing around the group, she answered a few questions. "Turi, it sounds as though you may not have a choice in the matter - such a life may be pleasurable at first, but imagine an unending ecstasy that you cannot escape from because you do not care for anything that is not the source of your feelings. This is not simply living to please the enchanting Muminofrah. This would be a life of servitude. No brother, no home, no mortal treasure, no food or drink could break the spell ... for that is what it sounds like. An enchantment - perhaps placed upon you whether you will it or don't.

As for your Vershab, I'm guessing Vlarga is suggesting your mind might not be so easily swayed by the Thriae. That, or perhaps she made an assessment regarding a perceived lack of interest. Either way, I am not so sure any of us will be allowed to choose NOT to stay if they elect to woo us. They sound like many a creature that has lured others to their inevitable doom, which usually ends in becoming food. "

Natala paused for a moment as she thought back on any rumors she had heard of such creatures before continuing to speak. "While these creatures may deal with us honestly, I suggest we consider the 'what ifs' of this situation. Perhaps through divine magicks or Vershab's arcane knowledge, there are spells to protect our mind and body from the lure of the Thriae? Or do we possess something of value that might offset any desires they have for one of our number?"

OOC - So KS Nature - (1d20+4)[22] to know anything about the bee people ... and for the gear, Natala could put the arrows to good use.
    Show
    Show