Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Imperial Warlords Act II: The Eriadu Campaign

Imperial Warlords
    Act II: The Eriadu Campaign

The Panthac departs Mustafar in good order, the crew entusiastic for their opportunity to crush the rebel scum at Eriadu. It is a six hour journey through hyperspace, and responses are mixed. The battle staff works frantically for the first three hours, charting the Eriadu system astrodynamics, loading and simulating emergency hyperspace routines, and running repeated react to contact drills of every sort. The instant the three hour warning sounds on the bridge, though, the senior chief petty officer stands up and dismisses everyone except the essential astrogation and engineering officers to get two-and-a-half hours of rest. The stormtrooper battalions load up in full battle rattle, and the new recruits clean their weapons while the veterans rack out in corners ond crannies for some sleep. But their weapons are all to hand. The fighter squadrons stage and load the TIEs in combat deployment order, and rehearse their scramble drill. Second-line pilots and the pilot officers on staff prepare the X-wings and A-wings for deployment in the second echelon. Meanwhile, on the VIP deck, Moff Vesa's bodyguard detachment loads up the Dauntless for battle.

Reversion to Eriadu space occurs quickly. The Panthac moves in silently, close to the sixth moon of Tarastra, and the passive sensors immediately begin scanning the environs for threats.

Moff Vesa - The sumptuously appointed VIP station on the Dauntless flickers to life with various holovids of the area, showing you the status of the system and the various streams of news. You gaze past them - unless there is an alert, none are relevant to you. A nice plate of olives and grapes is cooling by your arm, and there is a bottle of expensive brandy on a tray to your right. You feel the force thrumming with tension throughout the whole system. Life is good.

Inqusitor Kru - There's a special section of the ship's brig, isolated from sound and electronic snooping. You stand in it, next to the unconsicous forms of the detained cryptanalysts. Their bodies are mostly naked, and soaked with sweat. You relax, though. The data breach on the crypto vault was an ISB operation - the two analysts learned of the code being broken, and were directed to destroy all records. The good news is that there's no rebel infiltration. The bad news is that there's a separate ISB counterintelligence officer - not you - somewhere on this ship, and he or she is both careful and up to something. The analysts revealed that they communicate through dead drops, and don't even know who their taskmaster is. You step out, don your armor, and move back to inspect the SPECNAV team in its special deck.

Dekki - The hours before a battle are agonizing. You're at 75% medical staff, which is still more than enough to sit around twiddling their thumbs. When the shooting starts, not even 300% will be enough. All seems normal, for the hours before a battle, though you silently regret how utterly familiar this routine is to you. Your team has fewer than normal malingerers and stress casualties before the fight, though you've seen more than enough of the intel staff over the course of the last four hours. All of them look like they've been run ragged, moving with little sleep and constant stress since Mustafar. Grenn even came by 30 minutes ago to pick up a bottle of stim pills. He ate four with no water before he'd even left the medbay.

Dr. Espana - The view from the main observation deck of Tarastra is breathtakingly beautiful. The sun illuminates the gas giant in pastel colors, and you see the beautiful pinpricks of light from the enormous flares off the Tibanna gas refineries. There's money, even in that poor atmosphere. All of the fighter squadrons report good, though the two missing interceptors from Knife squadron are a felt loss.

Brevet Brigadier General Vess - You spend the last few hours before the battle inspecting the battalions. The regiment staffs are all organized, their command centers on the huge landing craft humming nicely. The Gozantis that remain are stationed and crewed, ready to be scrambled into the main hangar and hitched to AT-ATs as soon as possible. The battalions themselves form up in good order, each with their spacetrooper companies in pride of place in the center of the formation. You deliver the same rousing speech to each battalion, and receive the same imperial hails at your triumphant finish. By the sixth time, it starts to get boring. Most of them will sit out this battle, but the spacetroopers, at least, will certainly get their guns warm.

Admiral Halcoor - The command bridge is dark for reversion. As the lights come back on, the same familiar frission of nervous energy suffuses through the staff. You hear the soft whispers of status reports and acknowledgements start to fill the room, and reams of data start to appear on each of your six primary holovids. After a few moment, the starboard side sensor crew chief reports to you: "Ma'am, we've positively identified six TIE scouts from Leviathan in a search pattern through the inner rings."

Spoiler: Decisions and updates
    Show
    You have two immediate decisions: Whether you want to scramble the TIEs for defensive precautions (will get your TIEs out immediately, but will make you more noticeable), and whether you want to turn on your active sensors.

RL and Espana - give me a Use Computer check each. This will represent how much other information you get from your passive sensor arrays.

All - I'm in the process of working up the Eriadu system map. It won't matter too much, because you'll largely be traveling between the various points in system by hyperdrive, but at certain parts of the battle some places may be inaccessible because they're eclipsed by another planet or object.
    Last edited by robnar; 2018-04-16 at 08:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act II: The Eriadu Campaign

Espana double checked the sensor readings.
    Spoiler
    Show
    use computer take 10 for 31
    IF not possible: (1d20+21)[32]
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #3

MindFlayer

Dr. Espana - you notice two readouts in the data. First, ambient Cronau radiation is low, meaning the TIE scouts probably got here at least an hour ago. The data gives you a vector to a point in deep space slightly below the plane of the system, near Erinar (third planet in the system. Jaroona is second, Eriadu is fourth, Tarastra fifth, Kelliadu sixth. Muntiadu, the first planet in the system, is too close to the sun for spacecraft to safely approach). This doesn't necessarily mean they launched from there because TIE scouts have fully functional navicomputers, so they could have made an intermediate jump to confuse tracking.

Second, you notice a brief burst of electromagnetic/cronau signal from one of the larger rocks in the in the outer belt. The burst could potentially be a hypertransceiver signal.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Espana forwarded his findings to the Moff and the Admiral, with a note attached.

“Potential course of action, proceed to transceiver source en masse, jam signals to prevent calling for reinforcements, and take over listening post if there is one, for enhanced intelligence gathering.”
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-04-19 at 04:42 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Talia Vesa

Talia pursed her lips as she peered across the hanger-bay through the cockpit viewing panel of The Dauntless. Her brow furrowed, she stared at the arrangement of assault shuttles and TIE Fighters as if she could spot hidden rebels lurking within. But of course, she could not. Instead, her mind wandered across where exactly the Leviathan would be, so that she can travel to its exact location and persuade the Admiral in charge to the legitimacy of their cause.

If they were unable to find that ship, then their best bet at securing the Leviathan battlegroup would rapidly fade away.

Standing behind her pilots, one hand on the back of their chair, Talia asked simply, "Where was the last recorded position of the Leviathan, and how long ago?"
    My Homebrew:
    Pathfinder - The Demonologist
    Pathfinder - The Runeseer

"Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been"."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"Rig for silent running," Veesha ordered. Then she retired to her ready room for some privacy, and ordered comms to hail the scout patrol leader.

"This is Admiral Halcoor. I need to speak to Admiral Bandar. Do you know how to contact the Leviathan?"
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

7. - Top - End - #7

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    “Potential course of action, proceed to transceiver source en masse, jam signals to prevent calling for reinforcements, and take over listening post if there is one, for enhanced intelligence gathering.”
    C4-LBN points out: Sir, the SPECNAV shuttles are equipped with jammers and hybridium cloaking devices, and could likely approach the outpost unobserved until activating their jammers. This is one of the kinds of operation they train for.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post
    Standing behind her pilots, one hand on the back of their chair, Talia asked simply, "Where was the last recorded position of the Leviathan, and how long ago?"
    One of your senior pilots says "M'lady, last time we saw the Leviathan was in orbit around Rutan. We have coordinates for an emergency rendezvous point for stragglers from Leviathan's convoy. Probably the best point to link up with some ships from the fleet."

Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic View Post
    "This is Admiral Halcoor. I need to speak to Admiral Bandar. Do you know how to contact the Leviathan?"
    You get a rapid, surprised reply - the kind you would expect if you looked up and saw an unexpected star destroyer nearby. "Uh, Star Destroyer (hasty typing noises) uh... Panthac. This is Flare 6. Stand by for instructions." While she talks, you notice a moderate duration hypertransciever signal from her wingman. Shortly afterward four of the TIEs break formation, then hyper away.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Need a Use Computer for the Panthac's crew and Dr. Espana to determine the vectors of that hyper burst and their exit vectors.
    Last edited by robnar; 2018-04-25 at 04:25 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Espana

“Oh ho ho, let’s see where you’re pointing that transmission...” Espana muttered

Spoiler
    Show
    use computer take 10 for 31 + the ship computer bonus if applicable.
    If taking 10 is not possible: (1d20+21)[27]
    TC for short

9. - Top - End - #9

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    “Oh ho ho, let’s see where you’re pointing that transmission...” Espana muttered

Spoiler
    Show
    use computer take 10 for 31
    The TIEs split off into two groups and hypered away. Extrapolating from their vectors, it looks like they were hypering to random escape vectors instead of directly towards their final destination, so no real info there.

The error margins on your estimate of the hyper signal are pretty wide, but it looks like the signal was pointing in the same general direction as the hyperspace vector you plotted earlier, towards Erinar. (3rd planet)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rol feels the lurge in his stomach as the ship exits hyperspace. He blinks hard twice, an old habit he picked up from his pirate days.

He rounds the corner to the armory to retrieve his kit and armor now specced for boarding actions and with a few extra improvements he had requested. His armor was midnight black and silver but what would be noticable would be the helmet which had been modified to give it a skull like appearance.

After gearing up he heads to the specnav deployment deck. Kano already had them deployment ready and everyone of them looked it.

Rol strides on to the deck walking down the ready line. He gives a nod to Kano.

7th you'll be hitting a rebel observation post today. We will approach undetected thanks to our scramblers and jammers then we will breach and sweep the facility.

The primary objective of the mission is information gathering post like this could have useful information in hard drives and other mediums. Secure them. As for casualties I want as many alive as can be taken. These assets will hopefully fill in any Intel gaps we have.

Any questions?
    tbe question was rhetorical

Kano, load them up. Some rebel scrum have a date with the 7th
    I check Giantitp at least once or twice a day

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC
    Imperial Warlords ACT I | ACT II| OOC | Admin

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Seeing what the inquisitor was up to, Veesha contacted him. "Kru, stand down. I want the 7th in top shape for going after one of the Rebel admirals. You're grabbing pawns when we're in position for a royal fork."

((Use Computer - (1d20+21)[33] for hyperspace tracing))

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rol smiles mischeivously. They were loaded up and ready to ride.

Sorry fleet your breaking up. Not sure what the issue is but give us a moment to do a run down of our comms.

Rol gives the go ahead signal to Kano.

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Veesha was not amused. She stabbed another button on her communications panel. "Halcoor to flight control. I want the ship ready for a quick jump. Keep all hangars secured for hyperspace until I countermand this order-craft stowed and shutters locked."

After hearing an acknowledgement, she hit another button. "Nav, maintain a current plot for a short in-system hyperspace jump. Destination anywhere away in deep space."

14. - Top - End - #14

MindFlayer

The Panthac dims the non-essential emitters and starts running quietly, dipping low towards the plane of the planet between the ring belts. The two remaining TIEs follow at a respectful distance.

Five minutes after you make contact with the TIEs, you receive a coded hypertransciever signal using the standard fleet codes in effect when you broke contact from Mustafar. The message header indicates for Admiral Halcoor's attention alone.

(Assuming you take the message) - Admiral Bandar's nasal, condescending, impfleet academy tone fills your ears. "Why Veesha, how nice of you to show up. But you seem to have forgotten your instructions. The action's at Eriadu itself. Why don't you show up there and report to the commander. He's very interested to have you aboard to debrief you about your little jaunt away from the formation."

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Halcoor - Give me a stealth roll for the Panthac (with size modifiers) using either your or the crew's stats, whichever are better, and a Knowledge (Tactics) roll.

Espana Give me a use computer roll and a knowledge (technology) roll.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Espana

Spoiler
    Show
    use computer and knowledge tech take 10 each for 31 and 36 if possible.

Otherwise: (2d20)[19][11](30)
    40 and 37

Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-05-02 at 07:46 PM.
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rol seethes into his comms "I'll remember this Halcoor"

He then stalks down the ramp of the assualt craft his physicality filled with rage in every step

A flight deck officer comes over and attempts to talk to Rol spouting on about this or that but all Rol hears is how much he doesn't really need those arms of his to talk and then flies into a DARK RAGE relieving the deck officer of the burden of his arms.

As the officer goes into shock Rol grabs the officers head and rips through his mind all the while rage yelling "ARE YOU A SPY! YOU'RE A FILTHY TRAITOROUS SPY ARENT YOU?! ANSWER TRAITOR SPILL YOUR TRAITOUROUS WORDS YIU WORTHLESS WORM!"

After that he'll spit on what's left of this ruined person and rage stride toward the exit to the hanger and lord help anyone that gets in his way

Spoiler: roll
    Show

(1d20+20)[25] mind reaping or whatever it is

(1d20+20)[32] dampen presense cause why not let the smuck be confused

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Espana blocked the communication slice attempt.

“Nope,” he said.

Then he sent a message out to the command staff (ie players):
    Communication pattern indicates Leviathan is likely near Erinar.
    Malicious slice attempt from Imperials blocked.

Espana then attempted to examine the malicious code to perhaps subvert it and only release what he wants to release to the attacker, or send a modified version back, turning the tables.
    Spoiler
    Show
    figure out how the code works. Use computer (1d20+21)[36]
    TC for short

18. - Top - End - #18

MindFlayer

Spoiler: Computer Code
    Show
    The attacker seems to be trying to worm a backdoor into the Panthac's public address system, so that they could send messages to the whole crew over the ship's loudspeakers. You could turn this code on the attacking ship, but you're not sure who it would affect (i.e., you can't be certain it would affect the retransmitter ship or the Leviathan itself)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rol storms to the kitchen in search of food to slate the primal fury that being denied the hunt has brought him. As he enters the kitchen the first person he sees he lifts off the ground with the force suspending orderly in the air as he moves deeper into the kitchen

After that he sends a seething mental shout to everyone in the galley attention

He then rounds up all the staff for mental scanning. He uses the ancient technique of mental trickery to make each person more open and willing to spilling all their secrets.

Any that refuse are struck down as a warning to those that follow

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Veesha read Espana's message, and sent back one of her own while the Bandar talked.

Understood. Terminate connection immediately if they get past you.

Then she sent another to the Moff's personal shuttle. Admiral Bandar, channel 36. Join us.

Bandar was wrapping up, so Veesha looked up with a warm smile. "I'm glad you think highly enough of me to call personally, sir. I've had a very productive week.

"What if I told you there is a way to decapitate the Rebel fleet and force the remainder to battle, in one fell swoop?"

((The crew's and Veesha's stealth skills are the same, but the crew can benefit from Veesha's inspire confidence. Can I use this right now? It's a bit tricky to rule in out-of-combat scenarios.

Stealth - (1d20-11)[8] +1 if confidence is in effect
    Tactics - (2d20b1)[11] +21

Persuasion - (1d20+21)[30] to improve Bandar's attitude.))

21. - Top - End - #21

Talia Vesa

While the cat-and-mouse manoeuvring took place outside the Panthac and Rol threw his tantrum, Talia remained within the dim womb of her shuttle, ruminating in the shadows. Mentally relaxed, she allowed her senses to wandered over the web of life strung about the Star Destroyer and further out in the expanse of space to the TIE Fighters, and beyond. Breathing in deep, the Moff mentally wandered the corridors of her ship as if she were an unseen spectre privy to the conversations, thoughts and feelings of the crew and officers present. No secret was safe from the penetration of her astral form, no thought left hidden in a secret recess of a persons mind: the Panthac was an open book, and each crew member a sentence for Talia to read. And though the gamut of sensations were fluctuating within the thousands on board, they were all tied together by the overwhelming anticipation that something big was heading their way.

And they were right. It all started with a whisper from the darkness between stars...

Admiral Bandar, channel 36. Join us. the small message flashed across Talia's comm channel...

Opening her eyes, Talia regarded the message and allowed herself a little smirk.

The Moff reclined back into her chair and brought her hands together before her, elbows on the arm-rests of her chair and fingers meshed as one. Already dressed for a "diplomatic" outing, the royal's armour was clean and polished, its black-and-white markings accentuated by a blood-red half cape that was tethered to her left shoulder and tied to the right by a silver chain at the centre of which was a brooch that bore her House sigil.

Dressed for success and radiating relaxed confidence, the Moff did not acquiesce to Veesha's request right away. Instead she allowed a little bit of time to pass before she joined the conversation, so that when she did so, it was when she chose to, and on her own time.

Finally, Talia joined the conversation between Veesha and Admiral Bandar, her image suddenly flickering to life as a blue-white mimicry within the conference call....
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2018-05-03 at 06:58 PM.
    My Homebrew:

"Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been"."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Espana

"Broadcast on internal PA? Well, the only reason they'd want to do that is to try and inspire a mutiny and take control of the fleet," Espana thought.

He monitored the communication line for any additional slicing attempts.

"I have a sinking feeling the Leviathan is going to be frozen in place by those ion cannons and the interdictor, then finished off by suicide runs of support ships," Espana thought, "hell, maybe it's the rebels trying to embed the code so they can send a broadcast to all imperial ships once the Leviathan goes down, try to convince everyone to surrender or switch sides..."

He kept his thoughts to himself, at least until after the conference.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-05-03 at 08:24 PM.
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rol radios the Panthac security services officer instructing them to double security around critical functions [power, C&C, armory, engineering]

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC

24. - Top - End - #24

MindFlayer

Bandar was wrapping up, so Veesha looked up with a warm smile. "I'm glad you think highly enough of me to call personally, sir. I've had a very productive week.

"What if I told you there is a way to decapitate the Rebel fleet and force the remainder to battle, in one fell swoop?"
    "The rebel flagship has been sighted manning the blockade at Eriadu, and we've decisively engaged them there. You need to get to the battle before I have your ship destroyed and your crew hanged as traitors."

Finally, Talia joined the conversation between Veesha and Admiral Bandar, her image suddenly flickering to life as a blue-white mimicry within the conference call....
    "Ah, so glad of you to join us, Moff," he says with the patronizing sneer of a military man to an annoying politico he thinks he doesn't need. "It would be a good idea for everybody concerned if the ship you're riding on did its duty and reported to Eriadu. Now."

Quote Originally Posted by cybric View Post
    Rol radios the Panthac security services officer instructing them to double security around critical functions [power, C&C, armory, engineering]
    The security chief responds "Roger, m'lord."

Meanwhile, while the conversation with Admiral Bandar continues, Admiral Halcoor and Major Espana note a red blip in the near-space overview monitor. It looks like a couple small Cronau signatures. Soon enough, the deck crew has them identified as a squadron of rebel fighters, including a couple X- and Y-wings.

Spoiler: Reminder
    Show
    Just a reminder, not sure if I put this out already. You think that Bandar himself is likely broadcasting from Erinar, to a retransmitter ship in space, to you.
    Last edited by robnar; 2018-05-07 at 04:46 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

MindFlayer

Spoiler: Halcoor
    Show
    Bandar was always a jerk at the ImpFleet academy, but his tone and actions seem way edgier than you remember. Perhaps the stress of command, perhaps something's going wrong, or what, but his tone and threats don't seem warranted.

26. - Top - End - #26

Talia Vesa

Talia took note of Bandar's prickly response and mentally filed it away. This was not the tone of a relaxed and confident man in control of his surroundings.

"Likewise, Admiral," Talia responded, her voice and expression diplomatic, "I am thankful to have your presence in my sector of space," she continued, turning his mention of "duty" back upon him with a gentle reminder of the Imperial chain of command.

"Our goal is the extermination of the rebel forces arrayed against us, correct?" she continued, "for the sake of victory and the men under our command, I suggest you listen to what Admiral Halcoor has to say..."
    My Homebrew:

27. - Top - End - #27

MindFlayer

Spoiler: BananaPhone
    Show
    Roll persuasion

28. - Top - End - #28

MindFlayer

"Our goal is the extermination of the rebel forces arrayed against us, correct?" she continued, "for the sake of victory and the men under our command, I suggest you listen to what Admiral Halcoor has to say..."
    "So, explain to me then, how do I need to draw out and destroy the remainder of the rebel fleet when the entire rebel system fleet is bottled up at Eriadu?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Veesha's mind raced. How had she misread the situation so badly?

She hadn't, she decided after a moment's consideration. The rebels just committed sooner than she expected. She looked the holographic Admiral Bandar square in the eye. "Which fleet?"

30. - Top - End - #30

MindFlayer

Veesha's mind raced. How had she misread the situation so badly?

She hadn't, she decided after a moment's consideration. The rebels just committed sooner than she expected. She looked the holographic Admiral Bandar square in the eye. "Which fleet?"
    "What in the glorious name of the dead emperor are you talking about, woman? FOURTH FLEET. RIERAN'S FLEET. THE REBEL SECTOR FLEET.

How the hell did you make Admiral? I knew a command was too much for you when you were my student. His flagship and most of his cruisers are bottled up at Eriadu right now, cowering under the shields while you are too cowardly to do your DUTY. When those cruisers are destroyed the rebellion in this sector will be over.

Get over there, put your fighters out to cover the landing crews, and smash that shield NOW."

Everyone - as the conversation moves on, you notice the rebel squadron moving closer. It's hanging around at extreme turbolaser range and roughly tracking your movements - too deliberate to be a coincidence.