New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Racial Emulation, Chameleons, and Dragonmarks

Say a Changeling Chameleon has racial emulation (making them eligible to take dragonmark feats). Could they acquire all dragonmarks using the floating bonus feat?

Assuming they did so, would it stand to reason that they would have to shapechange (emulate) a race in order to have access to that race's mark?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Racial Emulation, Chameleons, and Dragonmarks

Quote Originally Posted by retaliation08 View Post
    Say a Changeling Chameleon has racial emulation (making them eligible to take dragonmark feats). Could they acquire all dragonmarks using the floating bonus feat?

Assuming they did so, would it stand to reason that they would have to shapechange (emulate) a race in order to have access to that race's mark?
    RAW, yes to both.

It's so completely divorced from the setting lore that it's mind-blowing but it's technically rules legal.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inza View Post
    they are tied to the races bloodlines, so changeling cant do it
    Technically, you have to be a member of the house. The lore says it's by bloodline but the feats don't since people can be adopted or married into the house.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

In a world that made sense: No of course you can't do that, that's silly.

But by RAW:

For clarity, they could acquire any dragonmarks using the floating bonus feat. Not all. The dragonmark goes away when you switch the feat to something else.

And yes, the dragonmark and the SLA go away whenever you're not emulating the right race, because a feat stops working when you stop having its prerequisites. But note that the feat stays, you only lose its benefits, so if you switch back to the proper race, the dragonmark and the SLA comes back.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I had meant "all" not "any". I was asking because of something I saw earlier about being able to have multiple shaped soulmelds at once using the floating feat.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I had meant "all" not "any". I was asking because of something I saw earlier about being able to have multiple shaped soulmelds at once using the floating feat.
    That's because Soulmelds don't unshape on their own, and all the feat does is give you the ability to shape them. So you take the feat, shape them and until you unshape them (or someone else unshapes them for you) they remain. So then you can trade the feat out for another shape soulmeld feat.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    That's because Soulmelds don't unshape on their own, and all the feat does is give you the ability to shape them. So you take the feat, shape them and until you unshape them (or someone else unshapes them for you) they remain. So then you can trade the feat out for another shape soulmeld feat.
    By that logic (I admittedly know little about soulmelds) it would follow that dragonmarks don't dissapear on their own...

Both feats seem a bit absurd, and I don't see how they are different in regards to their absurdity: you are gaining a permanent effect from a temporary feat.
    Last edited by retaliation08; 2018-04-18 at 07:14 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

By that logic (I admittedly know little about soulmelds) it would follow that dragonmarks don't dissapear on their own...
    No it wouldn't. When you lose a feat, you lose what that feat gave you, not any knock-on effects.

Shape Soulmeld gives you the ability to shape a soulmeld -- when you lose it, what you lose is the ability to shape a soulmeld. You don't lose any soulmelds you've shaped until they're dispelled or dismissed or whatever.

Least Dragonmark gives you a dragonmark and the ability to use an SLA -- when you lose it, what you lose is the dragonmark and the ability to use the SLA. As an example, imagine the dragonmark gave you mordenkainen's long-duration buff as an SLA (I can't be arsed to look up the actual list for a real example). You use the SLA to cast mordenkainen's long-duration buff, then while mordenkainen's long-duration buff is still active, you switch the feat to a different one, at which point you lose the dragonmark and the ability to cast mordenkainen's long-duration buff, but you don't lose the long-duration buff that's active on you until its duration runs out or it's dispelled or dismissed.
    Last edited by Malimar; 2018-04-18 at 07:29 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

I guess it doesnt track with me that a soulmeld would be more permanent than a dragonmark, but if RAW followed reason then I wouldnt have even posted this topic haha.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I would kind of approach this from the other end. If racial emulation and the floating feat lets a changeling grab a dragonmark by the rules, then time to try and justify it through fluff.

Has the changeling advanced its shape shanging to such a degree that it can accuratley adopt a bloodline? Has it somehow learned what differentiates the dragonmarked members of a houses from the rest of their race at a biological level?

Alternatively, do changeling genetics somehow work differently? Maybe they can go backwards, with a changeling born of a dragonmarked race being able to grant its parent access to the bloodline (maybe something like the zerg in starcraft)

These would be plotpoints all on their own, with plenty of repercussions on the setting if they were discovered to be true. This sounds fun, something for the DM and players to play around with, if willing.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuk View Post
    I would kind of approach this from the other end. If racial emulation and the floating feat lets a changeling grab a dragonmark by the rules, then time to try and justify it through fluff.

Has the changeling advanced its shape shanging to such a degree that it can accuratley adopt a bloodline? Has it somehow learned what differentiates the dragonmarked members of a houses from the rest of their race at a biological level?

Alternatively, do changeling genetics somehow work differently? Maybe they can go backwards, with a changeling born of a dragonmarked race being able to grant its parent access to the bloodline (maybe something like the zerg in starcraft)

These would be plotpoints all on their own, with plenty of repercussions on the setting if they were discovered to be true. This sounds fun, something for the DM and players to play around with, if willing.
    I was considering fluff with either Dragonfire adept or Warlock entry into Chameleon. I haven't read all of the Dragonmarked lore, but the idea was that the Changeling would have Khyber as a patron who helped bestow the marks and use the character as an agent to infiltrate the houses.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I guess it doesnt track with me that a soulmeld would be more permanent than a dragonmark, but if RAW followed reason then I wouldnt have even posted this topic haha.
    Shape Soulmeld is a lot like Craft Wondrous Item. If you used to floating feat for Craft Wondrous Item and made a cloak of charisma, the cloak wouldn't suddenly become non-magical just because you changed feats. Shape Soulmeld is the same way. You are actually making a temporary, quasi-real magic item with the feat. That item can remain after the feat is gone.

The dragonmark, however, is the feat. The feat doesn't let you make a dragonmark, it is the mark.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Shape Soulmeld is a lot like Craft Wondrous Item. If you used to floating feat for Craft Wondrous Item and made a cloak of charisma, the cloak wouldn't suddenly become non-magical just because you changed feats. Shape Soulmeld is the same way. You are actually making a temporary, quasi-real magic item with the feat. That item can remain after the feat is gone.

The dragonmark, however, is the feat. The feat doesn't let you make a dragonmark, it is the mark.
    Right. It just seems silly that a dragonmark is less permanent than an item, but RAW soesnt care.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

True dragonmarks require you to be a member of the appropriate dragonmarked race and house. Changelings can emulate the former, but not the latter. The best Racial Emulation can get you is an Aberrant Dragonmark.

If you want a modular dragonmark, try Cataclysm Mage.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2018-04-19 at 01:12 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    Soulmelds unshape when you spend an hour in meditation to shape all your soulmelds, so you could actually only get 1 at a time using the floating feat trick.

The funky cheaty thing is you could have shaped a Soulmeld yesterday, then dropped the feat this morning, and use yesterday's Soulmeld all day (and tomorrow, and every day until you spend an hour shaping a new Soulmeld at which point all your shaped Soulmelds go away).

You can have one Soulmeld of any type without needing to keep the feat. You cannot have two Soulmelds from just that one feat.

Whoever told you otherwise was just plain wrong.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Soulmelds unshape when you spend an hour in meditation to shape all your soulmelds, so you could actually only get 1 at a time using the floating feat trick.

The funky cheaty thing is you could have shaped a Soulmeld yesterday, then dropped the feat this morning, and use yesterday's Soulmeld all day (and tomorrow, and every day until you spend an hour shaping a new Soulmeld at which point all your shaped Soulmelds go away).

You can have one Soulmeld of any type without needing to keep the feat. You cannot have two Soulmelds from just that one feat.

Whoever told you otherwise was just plain wrong.
    I believe I read in another thread on this forum an argument that Chameleon's could be better Incarnates than an Incarnate class by exploiting the floating feat. My ignorance with regards to souldmelding in general may have done their argument a disservice.

Thanks for your explanation, though.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I believe I read in another thread on this forum an argument that Chameleon's could be better Incarnates than an Incarnate class by exploiting the floating feat. My ignorance with regards to souldmelding in general may have done their argument a disservice.

Thanks for your explanation, though.
    Incarnum is a niche system.

It's quite possible that someone had a "brilliant" idea on how to abuse it, but neglected to check the fine print to ensure that it would actually work.

Sadly, the fine print has a devilish way of winning out in the end.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

That's only if you choose to unshape them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic of Incarnum p49
    After resting, a meldshaper must meditate for 1 hour. During this time, he selects and shapes all his soulmelds for the day, simultaneously unshaping any current soulmelds that he does not choose to retain. Any soulmelds previously shaped that he chooses to retain do not need to be reshaped.
    If you're retaining the the soulmeld the next day, it remains shaped.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    RAW, yes to both.

It's so completely divorced from the setting lore that it's mind-blowing but it's technically rules legal.
    Well there's not zero precedent for races getting unrelated dragonmarks. Escalation Mage is a thing, after all.

Said prestige class does explicitly mention that abusing the prophecy in this way will make a lot of people want you dead, though.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

As was pointed out earlier, race isn't the only requirement for a Dragonmark, so Racial Emulation won't do what you want by itself. You also need to meet the "Member of appropriate dragonmarked race and house" requirement. That last part isn't something you can fake with Racial Emulation. And before you think that last bit is fluff, it isn't. Look at the first sentence in the benefit line of the feat:

You gain a least dragonmark and the use of one spell-like ability associated with the least dragonmark of your house
    Without being part of a dragonmarked house, you don't qualify for the feat, and the feat would do nothing for you.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Yep, I am seeing that now. It was a neat idea, but I think I could pull off the subterfuge bit by using a combination of shapechange and arcane mark or magical aura to give the appearance of a dragonmark.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    That's only if you choose to unshape them.

If you're retaining the the soulmeld the next day, it remains shaped.
    Huh! You're absolutely correct. Thanks.

I think you don't need to be a Chameleon though -- I think you can do all that with just alter self cast at 7th level.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Yep, I am seeing that now. It was a neat idea, but I think I could pull off the subterfuge bit by using a combination of shapechange and arcane mark or magical aura to give the appearance of a dragonmark.
    Cataclysm Mage is the class that ACTUALLY gets you a swappable dragonmark.

Huh! You're absolutely correct. Thanks.

I think you don't need to be a Chameleon though -- I think you can do all that with just alter self cast at 7th level.
    How so?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

How so?
    I think you can turn into a Human, assign your temporary racial bonus feat to Shape Soulmeld, and then meditate for an hour to shape the chosen soulmeld.

So you'd just need alter self to last for over 60 minutes, which caster level 7 does (giving you a spare 9:54 to sit down & finish whatever prep you need for meditation).

Would something stop that from working?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

With a rod of extend or extend spell feat you could do it at with CL 3 when you get the spell, though there is no room for error.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I think you can turn into a Human, assign your temporary racial bonus feat to Shape Soulmeld, and then meditate for an hour to shape the chosen soulmeld.

So you'd just need alter self to last for over 60 minutes, which caster level 7 does (giving you a spare 9:54 to sit down & finish whatever prep you need for meditation).

Would something stop that from working?
    Humans gain their bonus feat at level 1, during character creation. Becoming a human with alter self wouldn't get you a bonus feat for the same reason that it wouldn't give you extra skill points.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Humans gain their bonus feat at level 1, during character creation. Becoming a human with alter self wouldn't get you a bonus feat for the same reason that it wouldn't give you extra skill points.
    Funny thing about Alter Self:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    You acquire the physical qualities of the new form while retaining your own mind. Physical qualities include natural size, mundane movement capabilities (such as burrowing, climbing, walking, swimming, and flight with wings, to a maximum speed of 120 feet for flying or 60 feet for nonflying movement), natural armor bonus, natural weapons (such as claws, bite, and so on), racial skill bonuses, racial bonus feats, and any gross physical qualities (presence or absence of wings, number of extremities, and so forth). A body with extra limbs does not allow you to make more attacks (or more advantageous two-weapon attacks) than normal.
    (emphasis added)

It gives bonus feats, right there as part of the spell. That said: A humans don't get a "bonus feat"! They get an "extra feat". It might just be a game of semantics; "extra" and "bonus" are largely the same in natural language use. However, if they're read as game mechanical terms, then they're not the same thing. Different DMs will rule differently.

In Pathfinder, it straight-up doesn't work; a human gets a "Bonus Feat" as part of the racial write up. However, Pathfinder's Alter Self doesn't grant bonus feats.

Huh. Just noticed that... it's explicitly a Bonus Feat for a human. Huh. Does Pathfinder have the same clause about not needing to qualify for bonus feats as part of the general rules?
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.