Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Waking Nightmares [OOC]

I was also not doing the 1.5x str bonus for a 2 handed weapon. So that is 9 damage.

2. - Top - End - #152

Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    Do they do piercing damage? The one plus side of the quilted cloth is that it's DR 3 vs piercing.
    Bite damage is unique in that it counts as all three of bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing simultaneously, so unfortunately the DR will not be effective.

See 'Natural Attacks by Size' table in the link below.
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/ru...monster-rules/
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show

Spoiler: GM of...
    Show
    WAKING NIGHTMARES (Page Link) (Map Link)

3. - Top - End - #153

DwarfFighterGuy

So I am trying to plan my multi-class to make Joe more meat-shieldey. Would appreciate your opinions.

My current plan is:
    Lvl 3: fighter 1, feats: Power Attack & Phantom Ally
    Lvl 4: fighter 2, feat: weapon focus
    Lvl 5: fighter 3, feat: Either Phantom Fighter, Phantom Fortification or Shared Soul (I canít decide)
    Lvl 6: figher 4, feat: weapon specialization.

New Plan
    Lvl 3: fighter 1, feats pwr attack & Phantom Ally
    Lvl 4: Slayer 1, Studied Target
    Lvl 5: ranger 1, favoured enemy human feat: Phantom Fortification
    Lvl 6: Spiritualist 3
    Lvl 7:Spiritualist 4

If I do do this I should probably retrain my Emotional Conduit feat. Since it removes a lot of the utility, unless of course I am able to continue to progress in that feat to second level spells, even though I did not progress that far in Spiritualist.
    Last edited by brandnewb; 2019-11-15 at 11:44 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154

DwarfFighterGuy

I can take Void Healer if you want me to be able to heal your undead phantom, hehe.
    If I am going full brute I can definitely use some healing for my phantom.

5. - Top - End - #155

DwarfFighterGuy

Finally some mobile optimization. It will take some time getting used to it. I had adapted to the inconvenience.

6. - Top - End - #156

Hey guys, sorry for the slow posting. Busy lately. Anyway, I've updated the Map link to include a tab for the enemy status, as well as your own status, for your awareness. There is also a little cheat reference included on the right-hand side of those tabs showing Wound Thresholds (with links). When you guys post your character stats, could you please include your current Wound Threshold next to your HP? That would be very helpful for me to track.
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Oh boy. That's a lot of attacks. Quinn is in trouble here.

He takes another point of bleed on his turn, dropping him to 6/12 HP. With the additional CON damage he still has, that puts him in the Wounded threshold. Unless Aeryk, did we recover another point of ability damage from resting since the dream sequence?

Happy to update the spreadsheet with HP - that's the most convenient option for me as well. Can you open up the edit privileges though? I'm on read only at the moment.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

I've been slow lately too, it's ok. Jeri's at 6/17 hp, like Quinn, so definitely wounded. If we got ability recovery, great, but she's literally down a net -8 across three stats as it is. And I'm kinda worried that we're level 2 and going up against stuff with +8 to attacks, haha. At least they don't have a ton of hit points themselves?

Anyhow, Jeri's going to switch to melee and try to give flanking advantage to Quinn with C1. Flanking will at least balance out the penalty from Wounded. Meanwhile I'll think about what character I'd like to roll up and play next.
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." - Salvor Hardin

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yeah, these dudes are tough. Especially when you're surrounded, and we're mostly ranged characters. I like the Wounded penalties for the sake of realism, but they also risk combats snowballing pretty quickly. Should we consider running instead?

FYI Archy- Quinn has his bow out right now and can't offer any flanking. If we don't just run for it, I'm planning to probably keep 5' stepping back and shooting to minimise AoOs.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by H. Von Studley View Post
    Yeah, these dudes are tough. Especially when you're surrounded, and we're mostly ranged characters. I like the Wounded penalties for the sake of realism, but they also risk combats snowballing pretty quickly. Should we consider running instead?

FYI Archy- Quinn has his bow out right now and can't offer any flanking. If we don't just run for it, I'm planning to probably keep 5' stepping back and shooting to minimise AoOs.
    oh right. so make that a 13 to hit on Jeri's IC post. It wouldn't really have mattered since I rolled 0+1 damage with the staff, haha. I'm not entirely sure we could outrun these things but I'm all for withdrawing if we think we can - we just would trigger a lot of AoOs as it is, since they had us surrounded.
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." - Salvor Hardin

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yeah, escaping would definitely be tough. I think I can get out of the current circle without being killed by AoOs, but there's a decent chance that Quinn bleeds out before he can get very far. I've got no way to stop the bleeding other than an untrained heal check, which would require a natural 16 on the die to succeed.

Either way, I think we have to try something different. I don't think we win a straight fight with these things.

12. - Top - End - #162

DwarfFighterGuy

Yeah, escaping would definitely be tough. I think I can get out of the current circle without being killed by AoOs, but there's a decent chance that Quinn bleeds out before he can get very far. I've got no way to stop the bleeding other than an untrained heal check, which would require a natural 16 on the die to succeed.

Either way, I think we have to try something different. I don't think we win a straight fight with these things.
    Joe has training in healing, a farmers gotta know how to patch himself up out where there is no cleric.

Also with that amazing intimidate check I just rolled. I think we are good. :-) (And a little mercy we just witnessed from the DM I suspect)

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewb View Post
    Joe has training in healing, a farmers gotta know how to patch himself up out where there is no cleric.

Also with that amazing intimidate check I just rolled. I think we are good. :-) (And a little mercy we just witnessed from the DM I suspect)
    Definitely. TBH I'd originally kinda been thinking of the party roles as Quinn - tank, Jeri - blaster/offtank, Joe - heals/summon. Jeri was originally pretty survivable since she's already got some elemental resistance just from being a Tiefling, and she's a Dex/Con character, though being able to get better armor and Wood/Void Healer eventually will help her a lot too if we get there. She's just hit a few misfortunes along the way between the addiction, Con damage, and lack of funds (which happens when you get kidnapped a few times).

14. - Top - End - #164

DwarfFighterGuy

Definitely. TBH I'd originally kinda been thinking of the party roles as Quinn - tank, Jeri - blaster/offtank, Joe - heals/summon. Jeri was originally pretty survivable since she's already got some elemental resistance just from being a Tiefling, and she's a Dex/Con character, though being able to get better armor and Wood/Void Healer eventually will help her a lot too if we get there. She's just hit a few misfortunes along the way between the addiction, Con damage, and lack of funds (which happens when you get kidnapped a few times).
    So you want me to just take a single level in fighter so I keep my spellcasting? I really need that armour proficiency. But maybe we think I should focus more on the spiritualist spellcasting if the healing is what we really need as a party.

I just thought the slayer studied target + ranger favoured enemy would make me a good tank. And taking the Phantom Ally feat kind of incentives me to take more multiclass levels since it grants +4 to the phanoms lvl up to my chatacter level.

Edit: I also have not been rolling around with my phantom ready. Which I guess I can change. But we have been having so many will checks thrown at us I did not want to lose the benifits when phantom is in Joe's head. (Of course I fail the check anyway, but I had a 50% of passing it.)
    Last edited by brandnewb; 2019-11-16 at 12:27 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165

DwarfFighterGuy

So I was reading back through the log and found where the Stranger told us not to leave the boat under any circumstance.... oops... But lets be honest, we are all obsessed lunatics now. We were going to look for the king in yellow.
    Last edited by brandnewb; 2019-11-18 at 08:08 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166

Unless Aeryk, did we recover another point of ability damage from resting since the dream sequence?

Happy to update the spreadsheet with HP - that's the most convenient option for me as well. Can you open up the edit privileges though? I'm on read only at the moment.
    Just wanted to let you know I haven't forgot about you Studley ;)

We have not recovered another point of Con yet.

I also have made the sheet editable but only for the NL Damage, Temp HP, and HP columns of the Party Status sheet. In order to simplify the rather complex Wound Threshold system, I've built some kick-ass code in it that will automatically update the Wound Threshold and Wound Effects columns if you change the HP or NL damage totals, so feel free to play around with that. Just make sure you leave it with accurate totals when you're done. There is also a linked chart/cheat sheet on the page for your convenience. I will probably continue to change aspects of the sheet as we go, but it's good for now :)

Spoiler: Spreadsheet Magic
    Show
    =IFS(AND(F2/H2>0.75,D2<F2),"HEALTHY",AND(F2/H2<=0.75,F2/H2>0.5,D2<F2),"GRAZED",AND(F2/H2<=0.5,F2/H2>0.25,D2<F2),"WOUNDED",AND(F2/H2<=0.25,F2/H2>0,D2<F2),"CRITICAL",AND(F2<=0,F2>=C2*-1),"DISABLED",AND(F2<C2*-1,F2>B2*-1),"DYING",AND(F2<=B2*-1),"DEAD",AND(D2>=F2,D2<=F2+C2),"STAGGERED",AND(D2 >=F2+C2),"UNCONSCIOUS")
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2019-11-18 at 04:30 PM.
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

So you want me to just take a single level in fighter so I keep my spellcasting? I really need that armour proficiency. But maybe we think I should focus more on the spiritualist spellcasting if the healing is what we really need as a party.
    I see how Quinn could be the better healer, I suppose - and no, I'd never tell somebody else how to level their character. Do what you like and we'll roll with it.

And yeah, excellent intimidation. Maybe we shouldn't have left the boat... but we kinda had to in order to find the King, so, I dunno, I think we arrived or whatever. Gotta move forward. I'm not sure if Jeri has anything to offer these guys by way of trade for safe passage, I'll check. Edited to add: Thought of something. Let me know if you'd like me to roll something - Jeri isn't exactly bluffing, but she also has had some practice describing any card so as to be flattering.
    Last edited by Archemist; 2019-11-19 at 02:15 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168

DwarfFighterGuy

Oh wait, it was that mark or something that we had no?

I went through the game, but i could not seem to find if we received the mark aside from when he touched us in the very opening scene. There is also no mention of how to activate or reveal the mark.

19. - Top - End - #169

Oh wait, it was that mark or something that we had no?

I went through the game, but i could not seem to find if we received the mark aside from when he touched us in the very opening scene. There is also no mention of how to activate or reveal the mark.
    Now you're thinking ;)

There were no 'instructions' given on how to activate it, and none of you have experimented with it as yet (not that you would have), but now would be a great time to start.
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #170

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryk View Post
    Now you're thinking ;)

There were no 'instructions' given on how to activate it, and none of you have experimented with it as yet (not that you would have), but now would be a great time to start.
    So I have not defined where this phantom came from, they are always the spirits of individuals with unfinished business. Since the power came from when the King in Yellow touched us and told us to find him I just assumed it would have also been sent by or in service to the king.
    Would it know?

21. - Top - End - #171

DwarfFighterGuy

Of course I roll a 2, but maybe it is not unexpected that he would fail the first time. Can he make several attempts? (although I don't even know if that is what we needed, maybe it was spellcraft or something.)

22. - Top - End - #172

So I have not defined where this phantom came from, they are always the spirits of individuals with unfinished business. Since the power came from when the King in Yellow touched us and told us to find him I just assumed it would have also been sent by or in service to the king.
    Would it know?
    You can flavor that as you wish.
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Nice one B! That's a cool ability.

On the character building discussion from earlier, Quinn will be able to do a little healing, but it will take a while before it comes online in his build, and even then it won't be much. Short of rebuilding our characters in different ways, which I'm personally not very keen for, I think we'll have to aim to heal out of combat with wands and potions.

As for what Quinn can do- he'll bring a fair bit of out of combat utility: scouting, knowledges and some social skills. In combat he's a bit of a glass cannon. Fairly low AC and HP, but will eventually be able to output decent single target damage with archery. Not great right now, but in a few levels when a few more feats come online he'll be able to hold his own. He'll also try to keep summoning creatures to get in between our ranged characters and the bad guys, but this will focus more on undead than summon monster once those powers come online. His summon monster power doesn't scale very well.

24. - Top - End - #174

DwarfFighterGuy

Don't go casting your yellow sign spells. In 20 minutes we may need you to possess them.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Out of character you're absolutely right, that is the smartest tactical move. But in character I just can't imagine Quinn not trying it out to see what happens. He'd have to know if he could do it too.

26. - Top - End - #176

Yeah, definitely OOC nobody knows how this thing works yet. I should have caught that, good call Studley!
    Show

Show

27. - Top - End - #177

DwarfFighterGuy

So FYI, Joe is going to ask to learn how to initiate people with the Play when he sees the King. & try to get some of that tea to give to people.

At this point he wants to create as many converts as possible.

28. - Top - End - #178

Sorry lads, been swamped lately. Will update my games as I am able. Hard to find the free time.
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #179

I am assuming this is some type of pocket dimension. It is relevant because I don't know if Joe and the Phantom can be on separate planes. They have to be within 100ft, but that gets weird if the inside of the tent is a different plane. It might have resulted in the phantom getting banished when they stepped inside. But I would assume that the phantom would have recognized the risk before going in. It would also mean that the phantom can't patrol outside the tent if Joe is inside. This would be the discussion they are having.

Also while Joe is sleeping the phantom can't be out and about. This is what i was originally hoping to do when I started looking this up.

Anyway, if it is a separate plane Joe will call it into his consciousness when he goes inside. And when he is on guard he will re manifest the phantom and sit outside the tent and patrol using the phantoms darkvision. [/SPOILER]
    You are correct, if you go into a separate plane/demi-plane/extra-dimensional space, you would break your Etheric Tether and the phantom would be dismissed to the Ethereal Plane for 24 hours. A knowledge arcana or planes check would let you know whether that is the case here, as would detect magic with a spellcraft check. As it is, the only way to know for certain would be to try it out and see what happens, or play it safe and keep it in his consciousness, as you've said.
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #180

Alright lads, I'm ready to carry on with this. Had a very busy month! Anyway, it appears that Quinn has a rank in Knowledge Planes. He can roll against DC 15 to determine whether the interior of the tent is on a different plane/demiplane. Otherwise it will simply be a matter of trial and error for Joe if he wants to chance it.

Quinn may also make a second Knowledge Planes check for an undisclosed reason.
    Show

Show