Hello,

I'm desperately need some input. A player of ours would like to play a gnomisch tinkerer in an upcoming campaign and we like to use dndbeyond. Since the Artificer isn't availible here and many people think, that the Artificer isn't all that good at later levels I've tried to design a wizard school for our purpose and I'm looking for some feedback.
The subclass is heavily inspired by the artificer and the Tinkerer subclass of Michael Wolf from the dms guild. I've tried to capture the feeling, that the tinkerer wizard uses his tool to cast magic and tried to make his craft arcane device his central class feature. Here it is, please feel free to comment about this subclass, because I would like to avoid to create a subclass, that is either to strong or weak. I hope it doesn't render the other wizard options obsolete.

School of Tinkering:

Tinkering Tool
At 2nd level, you craft a magical tinkering tool that you use to manipulate the magic weave. This magical tool can take a variety of forms, from X to Y. Your understanding of the fundamentals of magic have advanced through long hours of study. Instead of using magic the traditional way, you use your tinkering tool to cast spells. The tinkering tool functions as your new spellbook. Each spell that was in your spellbook and each newly learned spell is added to your tinkering tool as a new component.

Your tinkering tool allows you to weave the magic as you wish, but it is not the source of your power. Another creature cannot use your tinkering tool to cast spells, but without your tinkering tool you can only cast cantrips.

Your tinkering tool counts as an arcane focus and a set of artisan’s tools (tinker’s tools). You also gain proficiency with the artisan‘s tool (tinker‘s tools).

If your tinkering tool is destroyed or lost, you can create a new one using the rules for replacing a spellbook.

Craft Arcane Device
Starting at 2nd level, you gain the ability to craft Tiny arcane objects that can hold your spells for later use. When you cast a spell with a casting time of 1 action, you can increase its casting time to 1 minute. If you do so and you craft a Tiny nonmagical item using your tinkering tool throughout the casting, you expend a spell slot, but none of the spell’s effects occur. Instead, the spell transfers into that item for later use.

Any creature holding the item thereafter can use an action to activate the spell if the creature has an Intelligence score of at least 6. The spell is cast using your spellcasting ability. If the spell targets more than one creature, the creature that activates the item selects the additional targets. If the spell has an area of effect, it is centered on the item, but can be thrown up to 60 feet away as part of the activation. If the spell’s range is self, it targets the creature that activates the item. After the item is used it is destroyed.

When you create an arcane object, it must be used within 8 hours. After that time, its magic fades and the object is destroyed.

You can have a limited number of infused spells at the same time. The number equals your Intelligence modifier and increases to twice your Intelligence modifier at 10th level.

Reverse Engineering
At 6th level, you learn two spells of your choice from any class. A spell you choose must be of a level you can cast, as shown on the WIzard table, or a cantrip. The chosen spells count as Wizard spells for you but don’t count against the number of wizard spells you know.

Energy Manipulation
Starting at 10th level, when you craft an arcane object, you can manipulate the energy infused to the object. When you use the Craft Arcane Device feature and you infuse a spell that deals acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage, you can expand an additional 1st-level spell slot to substitute that damage type for another one from that list.

Master Tinkerer
At 14th level, your ability to infuse magic grows stronger. Whenever you use the Craft Arcane Device feature, you can increase the casting time to 10 minutes. If you do so, the arcane object could be activated with a bonus action instead of an action. A creature activating such an object can‘t cast another spell or activate another arcane object with an activation time of 1 action during the same turn, except for cantrips with a casting time of 1 action.